Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,
  • Start Topic

(edited)
5 hours ago, Quof said:

OK, ladies (and perhaps the men, but I doubt you're interested).  I have realized that a woman of a certain age really shouldn't wear shorts except working in the yard or engaged in sports.  I have some tailored, knee length shorts that I will wear running errands, but I am looking for something suitable for a European city vacation.   Do you know that it is practically impossible to find a straight, casual, knee length skirt - khaki cotton or maybe denim?  But there are lots and lots of skorts or "scooters" available. The hell?  I recall buying a friend's baby a little denim skirt with attached diaper cover panty.  That's what skorts remind me of. 

Maybe Lands End or LLBean?

Edited by Trini
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Quof said:

OK, ladies (and perhaps the men, but I doubt you're interested).  I have realized that a woman of a certain age really shouldn't wear shorts except working in the yard or engaged in sports.  I have some tailored, knee length shorts that I will wear running errands, but I am looking for something suitable for a European city vacation.   Do you know that it is practically impossible to find a straight, casual, knee length skirt - khaki cotton or maybe denim?  But there are lots and lots of skorts or "scooters" available. The hell?  I recall buying a friend's baby a little denim skirt with attached diaper cover panty.  That's what skorts remind me of. 

I had a similar problem last year, when I was looking for a casual, but not too casual, cottony, slightly flowy dress in a longer length that wasn't floorlength. All I could find were in T-shirt type material that I find hugs exactly where I don't want it to. Finally, I found a great dress in a resale shop. So my suggestion is to check resale shops.

1 hour ago, walnutqueen said:

Those floaty long skirts pack well - if they're the ones you can twist & roll, and are made to look all wrinkly.  They were my go-to decency wear, back when I still had a single fuck to give (and no leg shaving required!!!)   :-)

I love those and wish I knew if I still had mine. I took it overseas several times and found it great for sightseeing in non-jeans.

We have probably always been spotted as Americans in Europe. We were usually traveling in a big group. In Rome, other people thought the people on the bus didn't like us because we were Americans, but I think they probably hated all tourists. I would have.

A few times in Estonia, my husband was mistaken for German. Fortunately he speaks German so he could answer the people who just started talking to him in German.

• Love 3

The solution is actually quite simple.  I could get off my lazy ass and lose the 10 lbs that keep me from wearing the black, cotton, knee length skirt I wore last summer. 

Did you notice my post in the Food thread that my dinner consisted of strawberry shortcake? 

Oy vey.

• Love 12
3 minutes ago, auntlada said:

I had a similar problem last year, when I was looking for a casual, but not too casual, cottony, slightly flowy dress in a longer length that wasn't floorlength. All I could find were in T-shirt type material that I find hugs exactly where I don't want it to. Finally, I found a great dress in a resale shop. So my suggestion is to check resale shops.

I love those and wish I knew if I still had mine. I took it overseas several times and found it great for sightseeing in non-jeans.

We have probably always been spotted as Americans in Europe. We were usually traveling in a big group. In Rome, other people thought the people on the bus didn't like us because we were Americans, but I think they probably hated all tourists. I would have.

A few times in Estonia, my husband was mistaken for German. Fortunately he speaks German so he could answer the people who just started talking to him in German.

So, the last German tourists who sneered at my (totally appropriate) local attire were met with a diatribe - in their own language.  Their utter shock was a thing of beauty.

1 minute ago, Quof said:

The solution is actually quite simple.  I could get off my lazy ass and lose the 10 lbs that keep me from wearing the black, cotton, knee length skirt I wore last summer. 

Did you notice my post in the Food thread that my dinner consisted of strawberry shortcake? 

Oy vey.

Oy vey indeedy.   I WISH I'd chosen strawberry shortcake instead of the tragic experiment with Cherries Jubliee last nite!!!

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, Quof said:

Oy vey.

There is far less fun in that plan! 

• Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, Quof said:

It takes an extra minute of my day to give a damn about my appearance (but for this damn search for a skirt), and it makes a world of difference.  

I give about half a damn about my appearance.  Mainly, I don't like to stick out, especially if I'm in an unfamiliar place.

Edited by StatisticalOutlier
  • Love 1

Why I never wear skirts: thighs that chafe

Same here. I carry all my weight in my stomach and thighs and it sucks. Skinny jeans are a no-go also. I miss the 70's revival of the  bell-bottom craze of the late 90s---those jeans were so damn comfortable. Maybe they'll come back around for a 3rd go-around in the next few years or so....

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

Why I never wear skirts: thighs that chafe. Pants or shorts for life.

That is why I wear hose, regardless of how out of fashion they may be -- or how uncomfortable. They are better than thighs rubbing together or feet sticking to shoes. Also, I think they make my legs look better, and they hold in my stomach a bit. They smooth things out. And when I see some women not wearing them, particularly if they are wearing something clingy, such as the aforementioned T-shirt material knit dresses, I think of Janice Van Meter and two pigs fighting under a blanket. I don't want to look like that. (Also why I will not wear yoga pants. I tried some on in a store. I looked awful in them.)

• Love 3
(edited)

I miss the 70's revival of the  bell-bottom craze of the late 90s---those jeans were so damn comfortable. Maybe they'll come back around for a 3rd go-around in the next few years or so....

Do it anyway! I just recently replaced, via eBay, a pair of flared Levi's from 1997ish--the ones with a little bit of stretch and the lower waist (but not the extreme low waist where the zipper is, like, an inch long!). I still have and wear the old ones but the fabric is so thin now that I wanted to be sure I had a spare for when they really, truly go for good. That cut is flattering, I think--makes 5'4" me look tall. 

Here's a related peeve: eBay sellers who list '90s clothes as vintage '70s! Nuh-uh, I know what's what. In fact, I probably had that "'90s does '70s" shirt or dress in the '90s!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 2
(edited)

I wish skinny jeans/pants would die already! I love boot-cut jeans and pants to balance out my gut and thighs, but no one makes them anymore.

3 minutes ago, auntlada said:

That is why I wear hose, regardless of how out of fashion they may be -- or how uncomfortable. They are better than thighs rubbing together or feet sticking to shoes. Also, I think they make my legs look better, and they hold in my stomach a bit. They smooth things out. And when I see some women not wearing them, particularly if they are wearing something clingy, such as the aforementioned T-shirt material knit dresses, I think of Janice Van Meter and two pigs fighting under a blanket. I don't want to look like that. (Also why I will not wear yoga pants. I tried some on in a store. I looked awful in them.)

Steel Magnolias is my all-time favorite movie.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 3
On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 2:04 PM, forumfish said:

Today's peeve is people who don't know how to look for things, even when told where the items are. (I'm looking at you, Dad. The new tube of toothpaste was EXACTLY where I told you it was.)

Hubby : (looking in the fridge)  Are we out of mayo?

Me: (In another room reading) No, it's in the fridge.

Hubby: where?  I can't find it.

Me: it's wherever you put it, I don't use mayo, you do.

Hubby:  I don't see it.
Me:  look on the top shelf.  Or the door shelf, I don't know, it's there, just look!

Hubby:  No, I think we're out of it.

Me:  (getting up, walking over, finding the mayo on the second shelf, handing it to him) - here!

Hubby:  well, no wonder I couldn't find it.  You told me it was on the TOP shelf!

• Love 11
On 6/23/2017 at 1:49 PM, Katy M said:

I don't have any cousins.  No first cousins anyway.  There's a pet peeve for you.  Every time the subject of cousins, or aunts and uncles come up, my best friend just goes on and on about how weird that is.  Two "only" children getting married and having kids is not that weird.  It can't be.

Same here!! And I always felt so left out of extra family fun thanks to never having aunts/uncles/cousins. Not only are both of my parents only children, but then when my mom remarried she married yet *another* only child! And weirdly enough, all three of my grandfathers were only children too. My grandparents and biological father are now long gone, my brother never had children and I'm ChildFree as well, so yeah, I have a tiny little immediate family. 

Thank God I'm married to a man who has 8 siblings and a shitload of nieces/nephews so that I'm at least getting to finally experience the joys of large family gatherings. Because as a child of only children, I seriously envy folks with larger families---never having to worry about being alone in times of sickness and health, for holidays and celebrations or whenever else is a very undervalued trait---it's like having a built-in social network!

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Quof said:

Oy vey.

I hear you.   My weight fluctuates.  When I am close to a weight that I feel I look good at, I buy clothes - because I love to buy new outfits I look good in.   Then I end up gaining a few pounds (or more than a few), and the clothes I love don't fit, but I don't want to go shopping because I look fat in everything and nothing fits right. I end up with a closet full of clothes, in so many different sizes it's ridiculous.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, backformore said:

Hubby : (looking in the fridge)  Are we out of mayo?

Me: (In another room reading) No, it's in the fridge.

Hubby: where?  I can't find it.

Me: it's wherever you put it, I don't use mayo, you do.

Hubby:  I don't see it.
Me:  look on the top shelf.  Or the door shelf, I don't know, it's there, just look!

Hubby:  No, I think we're out of it.

Me:  (getting up, walking over, finding the mayo on the second shelf, handing it to him) - here!

Hubby:  well, no wonder I couldn't find it.  You told me it was on the TOP shelf!

See, THIS is why I will die alone ...

3 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I'm small and thin but squishier than I should be. I feel like I squander what I was "given" (narrow genetics, haha!). I have a treadmill IN MY HOUSE...yet I walk past it and not ON IT! Terrible!

I had a fancy treadmill, back in the day.  My poor effin' Beanie Baby used it in lieu of his shitbox, once the intestinal cancer got the best of him.  My life was cat crap EVERYWHERE for a few years, and I still have the half box of unused Puppy pee pads to prove it (the poor wee bairn ended up crapping on my dining table eleventy billion times a day before his demise).  :-(

Dragged the shit-stained treadmill to the curb, and It Disappeared before trash pickup day.

• Love 1

Why I never wear skirts: thighs that chafe.

Jockeys Skimmies.

Not really shapewear, in that there is only a tiny bit of spandex so they aren't really sucking you in and you can still breathe. They just smooth things out a little and prevent chub rub.  

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Sun-Bun said:

all three of my grandfathers were only children too. My grandparents and biological father are now long gone, my brother never had children and I'm ChildFree as well, so yeah, I have a tiny little immediate family.

Both my grandfathers were only children, too.  And both of my grandmothers were one of 8 kids.

2 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

See, THIS is why I will die alone ...

You won't die alone. You'll be surrounded by all those other murderers in prison:)

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Both my grandfathers were only children, too.  And both of my grandmothers were one of 8 kids.

You won't die alone. You'll be surrounded by all those other murderers in prison:)

Wrong thread, but I must correct you - I shall die alone without the unflattering prison striped garments (or ass-fuckery).  Surrounded by cats, felony free - story of my sad life.

3 minutes ago, Quof said:

Nah, the only murderers in prison are the stupid ones. If you plan it well, you can get away with murder.

Why, yes, I have thought this out.

Come join us in the truly criminals threads - we have that alibi down to a fuckin; science, and I am prepared for the next Pamela Hupp to piss me off my recliner.

• Love 5
(edited)

Not really shapewear, in that there is only a tiny bit of spandex so they aren't really sucking you in and you can still breathe. They just smooth things out a little and prevent chub rub.  

Damn shapewear, man. It's everywhere. Sometimes a gal just wants a plain slip (but with a built-in bra) without being squeezed to hell and back! I've taken to wearing those bodysuit things under dresses; I've found a few with minimal squeeziness. Not my first choice but better than having so much going on under my clothes with bra, underwear, and slip (and maybe tights in the winter), which feels excessive to me.

I had a fancy treadmill, back in the day.  My poor effin' Beanie Baby used it in lieu of his shitbox, once the intestinal cancer got the best of him.  My life was cat crap EVERYWHERE for a few years, and I still have the half box of unused Puppy pee pads to prove it (the poor wee bairn ended up crapping on my dining table eleventy billion times a day before his demise).  :-(

Aww, I'm sorry. I like that you went so out of your way for him despite the issues that would have caused many others to give up on him. Poor guy. And poor you too.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 3

I'm having a kind of crappy few days but I'm a grownup so I do have some tools to cope. Unfortunately, I somehow forgot to pack that special muffin I'd been looking forward to having for a breakfast treat into my bag and it's so cold in my office that i have to wear a hoodie over that favorite shirt I thought would look good today. I hate when my coping mechanisms fail just when I need them most.

• Love 5
18 minutes ago, Qoass said:

I hate when my coping mechanisms fail just when I need them most.

Ugh.

My last line of defense is usually:  Sit at my desk, play music reasonably loudly into my ears, and utter long strings of curse words under my breath. I shoot for  some really crude ones until I either make myself laugh or just feel a little better. 

• Love 1

Funny (except not), I also accidentally left my iPod on overnight so no music (well, podcasts) into my ears until the battery is done recharging.  The curse words are flowing.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Damn shapewear, man. It's everywhere. Sometimes a gal just wants a plain slip (but with a built-in bra) without being squeezed to hell and back! I've taken to wearing those bodysuit things under dresses; I've found a few with minimal squeeziness. Not my first choice but better than having so much going on under my clothes with bra, underwear, and slip (and maybe tights in the winter), which feels excessive to me.

Aww, I'm sorry. I like that you went so out of your way for him despite the issues that would have caused many others to give up on him. Poor guy. And poor you too.

THIS old girl has delayed necessary cataract surgery because she doesn't own "underwear".  She is even more tragic for admitting THE love of her life was a cat named Beanie Baby.

48 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

Ugh.

My last line of defense is usually:  Sit at my desk, play music reasonably loudly into my ears, and utter long strings of curse words under my breath. I shoot for  some really crude ones until I either make myself laugh or just feel a little better. 

Get thee to Deadwood, and get back to me with a whole bunch of new swearwords.

TWoP,  back in the day I used my office printer for nefarious ER recaps, was the start of my downhill slide.  I still owe you one, @David T. Cole!

• Love 3
On 6/23/2017 at 4:40 PM, aquarian1 said:

You could always use these handy dandy charts.  :-)

Cousin_tree_(with_genetic_kinship).png.46de668745d3effe4973039df26f21f6.png

cacf85918cf086232129c637db3c3a30.jpg

Well! If I'd had these charts when I was a young man, I might've made a play for the second cousin that I thought was a first cousin.

• Love 2

Is there some bad phase of the moon/planets/whatever? Like @Qoass I'm having a series of crappy days. It's one random thing after another and I can't seem to catch a break. Nothing earth-shattering or serious, but enough to really throw me off my game. I need a few days to get things back under control but as soon as I see the light at the end of the tunnel a bunch of other stuff comes up. Knock it off, universe!

• Love 7
11 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I'm hot (as in temperature) almost all the time, so I wear as few layers as possible. "Shapewear" is torture. Cotton drawers and a bra under one layer of clothes for me. I might wear a gauzy shirt or very thin cardigan over a tee in the winter. I rarely wear long sleeves.

I have to wear at least three-quarter-length sleeves at work in the warm months (so, all but December through February) because my tattoos extend past my elbows. I've gotten used to that much coverage and temperature ratio, but oh, how I wish I could wear short sleeves. I know; I did it to myself. No whining.

• Love 3

People who act like it's a life ruining event when they find out someone awful shares the same birthday as them. 

Try sharing a birthday with Tom Cruise AND Bill Cosby.  <13 year old girl whine> My life is ruined!

bilgistic, come sit by me. Ever since I had to have my thyroid removed, it's like my body can't regulate my temperature anymore. I run hot all of the time.

• Love 5

I have hypothyroidism, which should mean I would be cold. Nope! I take levothyroxine, but I can't tell that it's ever done anything besides put my hormone levels in the acceptable ranges. Thyroid disorders run in my family.

• Love 1
(edited)
15 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

Wrong thread, but I must correct you - I shall die alone without the unflattering prison striped garments (or ass-fuckery).  Surrounded by cats, felony free - story of my sad life.

Come join us in the truly criminals threads - we have that alibi down to a fuckin; science, and I am prepared for the next Pamela Hupp to piss me off my recliner.

Me, too! Wait, where is this truly criminals thread? I need to be there.

13 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

I'm prone to mutter "GDMFSOB" under my breath at work - after all, they're just letters. Right? I had a button back in college (that has since disappeared - sob!) that read Shit Fuck Damn Piss Hell. I still say that, too. Quite satisfying, some days.

1 hour ago, emma675 said:

Try sharing a birthday with Tom Cruise AND Bill Cosby.  <13 year old girl whine> My life is ruined!

<3 Aww, I'm sorry. I was traumatized as a child by sharing a birthday with Elvis. He was in his fat, bloated, lounge-lizard stage then. In my teens, I discovered his early music AND that David Bowie was born on Jan. 8th, too. RIP, gentlemen. You made my teen years more bearable.

Edited by riley702
bolding the relevant bits
  • Love 4

Well, the suckage continues:  last month I mentioned in casual conversation with a coworker at job number two that I was considering starting a big project in the next year or so and would be looking for professional guidance.  She was very enthused about the person she had used and I said that when I was ready, I would give him every consideration.  Cut to last week, she went to her person and got a very elaborate information packet about him for me.  That night, I was working in several different locations and yup, I lost the packet.  Now I feel horribly guilty because she went to all the trouble and I was careless but I'm also annoyed because I made it clear to her that I wouldn't need anything until next year and she jumped the gun.

I could really use a win today...

• Love 2
9 hours ago, emma675 said:

bilgistic, come sit by me. Ever since I had to have my thyroid removed, it's like my body can't regulate my temperature anymore. I run hot all of the time.

I was born without the ability to thermoregulate.  My body suffered until I found the perfect microclime in a hidden corner of sunny SoCal ... call me Goldifuckinlocks and pay my 3 bears some Alone royalties.  

8 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I have hypothyroidism, which should mean I would be cold. Nope! I take levothyroxine, but I can't tell that it's ever done anything besides put my hormone levels in the acceptable ranges. Thyroid disorders run in my family.

All my cats eventually had to take those thyroid pills - which were small to start with, and needed to be split into even teenier quarter pill doses.  I still wage war with that pill-splitter.

8 hours ago, riley702 said:

Me, too! Wait, where is this truly criminals thread? I need to be there.

I'm prone to mutter "GDMFSOB" under my breath at work - after all, they're just letters. Right? I had a button back in college (that has since disappeared - sob!) that read Shit Fuck Damn Piss Hell. I still say that, too. Quite satisfying, some days.

<3 Aww, I'm sorry. I was traumatized as a child by sharing a birthday with Elvis. He was in his fat, bloated, lounge-lizard stage then. In my teens, I discovered his early music AND that David Bowie was born on Jan. 8th, too. RIP, gentlemen. You made my teen years more bearable.

The murderous among us have been known to frequent the threads of 20/20, 48 Hours, Dateline, et al.  TPTB ruined our ID Channel thread, so now we congregate over on GENRE TALK/General True Crime Shows.

• Love 3
(edited)
14 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I'm hot (as in temperature) almost all the time, so I wear as few layers as possible. "Shapewear" is torture. Cotton drawers and a bra under one layer of clothes for me. I might wear a gauzy shirt or very thin cardigan over a tee in the winter. I rarely wear long sleeves.

I have to wear at least three-quarter-length sleeves at work in the warm months (so, all but December through February) because my tattoos extend past my elbows. I've gotten used to that much coverage and temperature ratio, but oh, how I wish I could wear short sleeves. I know; I did it to myself. No whining.

Luckily, my higher-ups don't care about my arm tattoos. But it's cold in here so they aren't often all exposed. However, I must do some kind of shit constantly that makes holes in the elbows of everything long-sleeved! EVEYTHING! It's insanity! I WANT sleeves and I wreck them!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 1
On 6/26/2017 at 5:35 AM, Quof said:

I "like" shorts for working in the yard or running errands around town.  I don't like them, nor do I think they're appropriate for a European city vacation.  A girl's gotta have some standards, and one of them is not looking like a North American tourist.   Next you'll suggest I wear white sneakers and a fanny pack : )

Don't worry, Europeans wear shorts too, especially when the heat is insane as it has been recently. A mid thigh short is perfectly appropriate during the day :) There's even talk in France about allowing shorts in the office, even for men, because the temperatures climbed to very atypical, insane levels last week. So if you are roaming around cities? Short all you want and nobody will bat an eye! (Now, if you were going to the Middle-East, my advice might be a bit different, but Europe is far from conservative. I'd say it's less conservative than many areas in the US.) Sneakers such as Converse are fine during the day too. You just need to avoid wearing a short + leather shoes + mid calf socks, which some men do - THAT is a big no, no. I think basically it's all in the attitude. I've gone to fancy places while dressed in jeans and sneakers, because I had been walking for hours, and nobody ever batted an eye. Some London friends I was meeting for afternoon tea in one of the most high end hotels were amazed that I was let in wearing jeans!!! So dont worry too much, be who you are and be happy with it, convince yourself that you fit in any place to go to, and it will all be fine. Where are you going, by the way? 

On 6/26/2017 at 6:58 AM, BooksRule said:

Jumping into the shorts or no shorts conversation, I wear shorts around the house and when working in the yard.  I don't feel comfortable enough to wear them away from the house, but I might if I had some nice ones that were almost knee-length.  If I were going to Europe, I would be fine with wearing longer shorts (no Daisy Dukes, for example) and would feel perfectly comfortable as long as I was dressed neat and clean (not sloppy).  I would also remind myself that I'm not likely to see any of the people I come in contact with over there ever again, so I don't really care if they think I'm under dressed (although I would dress nicer for dinner and other places where you would be expected to avoid wearing shorts).   

Or as Booksrule says. As long as you avoid short shorts, you're good. And besides, even if there was a lone person who grumbled, it would probably mean they wish they had to gut to go short too :)

• Love 5

Italy in September, second visit.  think that shorts are inappropriate in certain settings, not even considering what others may think.  I'm on a mission to make people less slovenly.   I had to convince a relative in his 40s that it was inappropriate to wear a baseball cap inside the chapel at his father-in-law's funeral.  

• Love 5
1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

Luckily, my higher-ups don't care about my arm tattoos. But it's cold in here so they aren't often all exposed. However, I must do some kind of shit constantly that makes holes in the elbows of everything long-sleeved! EVEYTHING! It's insanity! I WANT sleeves and I wreck them!

It's your desk. I wear holes in my elbows of whatever arm rests on the desk.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, Quof said:

Italy in September, second visit.  think that shorts are inappropriate in certain settings, not even considering what others may think.  I'm on a mission to make people less slovenly.   I had to convince a relative in his 40s that it was inappropriate to wear a baseball cap inside the chapel at his father-in-law's funeral.  

Ah, Italy, I love that country :) (And my son will study there starting next fall!!!) I still say it all depends on the weather, and what kind of shorts you wear (your tailored shorts would fit perfectly), but it's fine too if you want to bring your standards, as long as you don't confuse them with local standards :D, and I actually commend you for your desire to have standards - as long as it doesn't stop you from enjoying yourself. I hope you find a way to dress that matches your standards, but if there is a day you have to go out in yoga pants, it's ok too. Europeans are not aliens, they too have days when they couldn't care less. And while you put yourself to high standards, you should know that most people take others as they are, and very rarely judge them. And those who do, well, they're not worth fretting over. Just my opinion, of course :)  

(all that said as a half-European who knows her Europe, so not so much from a vacuum as from practical experience)

• Love 4

It's your desk. I wear holes in my elbows of whatever arm rests on the desk.

That's what I thought, but it's more often (or at least first to happen) that it's my right elbow. I'm right handed so I lean on my left. It's kind of moot though because in the end, it's both. Always both!

MAJOR pet-peeve here, and I'm practically boiling over just thinking about it again: people who dare make unsubstantiated claims about co-workers to their HR department *really* irk me. Anyone who dares mess with others' professional livelihood over petty bullshit truly has an evil streak!

Case in point, one of my husband's female co-workers went on a three day auditing assignment on the field with him. My husband is an expert of 15+ years in his field and has a stellar, exemplary work ethic and the awards to show for it. His bosses and co-workers love him and he's never had an issue with anyone. 

Anyways, this female co-worker of his had the NERVE to go to HR and make a random claim that she thought he was drinking on the job. 

Which is ludicrous---my husband would *never* dare touch a drink while on the clock and isn't that kind of person. When his boss asked him about this claim, he practically burst out laughing and couldn't even fathom how or why anyone would make up such a crazy story about him. His boss naturally believed him and apologized because it was just part of office protocol, but nevertheless, the damage is still done and some random worker just added a target of implied suspicion to his back. And damned if I don't think that's fair at all. Never mind that the woman who made the claim is some socially-awkward old kook who isn't liked by anyone else in the office anyway and is known to make wild claims; why would she even do such a thing?!

I just don't get it. What was the purpose of that?? Why do people get off on petty bullshit like that on the job???

Coincidentally, I've known plenty of former co-workers who really did drink on the job. They were still quite capable and did their work well, so I didn't even feel the need to squeal on them. And even if I was bothered by it, I'd take them aside and mention something and that perhaps they should chill out on the hooch on the job. But then again, I'm not scared of confrontations.

If someone has a problem with someone else at work, why can't they first talk on their own like ADULTS and try to work through their issues?

I tried to get my husband to make a counter-claim against this idiot co-worker---he does have pretty bad bouts of rosacea in warmer weather, and she probably mistook his naturally ruddy face/medical condition as a sign that he was "drinking". He said he just would avoid her and wanted to take the high road because reacting more might suggest some guilt.

He's a far better person than I am---just saying, if a co-worker ever did shit that to me, I'd make her daily work life an ongoing silent Hell.

• Love 6
36 minutes ago, Sun-Bun said:

He's a far better person than I am---just saying, if a co-worker ever did shit that to me, I'd make her daily work life an ongoing silent Hell.

Well, that makes two of us! He's definitely better than the both of us because I would absolutely engage in unrelenting, unpredictable, and unending retaliation for something like that. Come to think of it, I have once in the past and eventually caused the person enough grief that they quit. They also moved, since we lived in the same apartment building. No, they never knew it was me.

• Love 3
On 6/27/2017 at 8:52 AM, Quof said:

Italy in September, second visit.  think that shorts are inappropriate in certain settings

I was told that churches do have a dress code; no bare shoulders, etc., and they suggested to take a large scarf to use for cover up.  True? (I ended up not going.)

42 minutes ago, Sun-Bun said:

the woman who made the claim is some socially-awkward old kook who isn't liked by anyone else in the office anyway and is known to make wild claims; why would she even do such a thing?!

Did she try to flirt with your husband and he shut her down? That would be my guess.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, ennui said:

Did she try to flirt with your husband and he shut her down? That would be my guess.

Very doubtful, although my husband is a very sweet and friendly dude, and he says he tried to make small talk with her because he kinda pitied her for her social awkwardness. Go figure that she'd assume a guy would have to be plastered to dare treat her with kindness; that speaks volumes about her pitiful character.

• Love 4

I was told that churches do have a dress code; no bare shoulders, etc., and they suggested to take a large scarf to use for cover up.

Churches purportedly enforce their "shoulders and knees covered" policies for all visitors (except young children).  In reality, I climbed the stairs of the Duomo in Florence between a young woman whose skirt barely covered her ass, so I got a view of her underpants all the way up the stairs.   

• Love 3

Part of my job is signage. Mr Smith asked why the dollars in signs comes first before amount when written....but when spoken in English it's said after. I think if we wrote the sign like it's said it would be 11 $ 99 c. Additionally, the number when it comes to cost is very defined and customers up front want to know how many dollars something is, even more so than the details of even what it is or how long the deal lasts. Most signs use 5x the font size for price vs the item and maybe 90x vs end date. 

Also I think why it's said different in US is we like putting nouns after adjectives, like we prefer saying eighth grade vs grade eight. So when speaking it common for twenty dollars versus dollars 20 or ten kittens vs kittens ten. But if making an add you'd put big "10 kittens!" Then in much smaller font "available to adopt please call blah blah.."

• Love 6
(edited)

So today was a pretty nice day out, so I decided to go to the park by myself. While I'm sitting at rest area, this guy comes up to me and starts conversation. He's not bad looking, conversation is going well, he asks for my phone number.  I'm not really interested in anything but I say, sure why not, you never know and go ahead and exchange phone numbers.

So when I get home he texted me. Do you think he asked me any more  getting-to-know you questions or any intelligent form of conversation? Nope, he immediately starts off by saying he wished he had the nerve to invite me back to his place to do "naughty things" to me, and then sends me a barrage of selfies (Thankfully no photos of his genital area, which I was almost scared that he was going to do).

Ugh. I was wearing a baggy T-shirt and baggy jeans. Literally only my arms were exposed so its not like I was dressed like I was looking for a date or anything. In person, he went on and on about how hard it is to meet decent people who are looking for more than just sex or money, and then in text, this is what I get.  And what's with the selfie thing? I just saw him  a few hours ago, I remembered what he looked like.  I HATE taking selfies, and I HATE receiving unsolicited selfies from others. If I wanted a photo of someone, I'd ask to take one or I'd ask for a photo of them. 

Either I just don't understand men, or I just don't get the modern dating rituals. I like good old-fashioned chivalry and courting.  The idea of a rando post-park outing hookup just doesn't knock me off my feet.

Edited by AgentRXS
  • Love 11
7 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

Part of my job is signage. Mr Smith asked why the dollars in signs comes first before amount when written....but when spoken in English it's said after. I think if we wrote the sign like it's said it would be 11 $ 99 c. Additionally, the number when it comes to cost is very defined and customers up front want to know how many dollars something is, even more so than the details of even what it is or how long the deal lasts. Most signs use 5x the font size for price vs the item and maybe 90x vs end date. 

Also I think why it's said different in US is we like putting nouns after adjectives, like we prefer saying eighth grade vs grade eight. So when speaking it common for twenty dollars versus dollars 20 or ten kittens vs kittens ten. But if making an add you'd put big "10 kittens!" Then in much smaller font "available to adopt please call blah blah.."

WOOOOOW! **MIND BLOWN** That was a fantastic explanation! Thank you! You actually made it make sense. Oh. My. God. I would literally hug you if I could!

Peeve:  Humorless people who spew endless criticism at tv shows, especially comedies, because they are unrealistic. 

Why would you watch Brooklyn Nine-Nine and get annoyed when the police work doesn't follow proper procedures? Silicon Valley and be angry because the tech situations are implausible? Grey's Anatomy and loose your mind because the doctor skipped an important step? 

As usual, The Simpsons covered this particular kind of stupid with just the right amount of satire. I'm sure aimed directly at the fans who criticized their writers. 

• Love 8