Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,
  • Start Topic

My new pet peeve is with voice recognition software and directory assistance. I think wrong numbers are on an upswing because directory assistance makes a wild guess.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, ennui said:

My new pet peeve is with voice recognition software and directory assistance. I think wrong numbers are on an upswing because directory assistance makes a wild guess.

I was a Directory Assistance operator in the early 70s - just before they made the switch from actual weird plug-in switchboards (cue the old-timey music) to something more "modern".  We still used the eraser head of a pencil to :thumb: through the pages of directories, and a little ruler to find the line of the person in that directory.  We were allowed 40 seconds per call, and even though I managed to reach that average, I was constantly called out by my Supervisors for sounding "too pleasant" (in fucking CANADA, no less!!!!).  Good Times.  :-)

• Love 8

My favorite directory assistance story (back when it was called "Information"), some teenage friends were making prank calls, called information, asked "How do you divide fractions?" and the operator said "Invert and multiply. Is there anything else I can help you with?"

• Love 14
57 minutes ago, ennui said:

My favorite directory assistance story (back when it was called "Information"), some teenage friends were making prank calls, called information, asked "How do you divide fractions?" and the operator said "Invert and multiply. Is there anything else I can help you with?"

When I started my Directory Assistance (brief) career, we were also called "Information", and answered as such  Sooo many weird calls, especially during the night shift.  The Public did not understand our transition to "Directory Assistance" from "Information"  Change is hard, no matter what decade you live in.

Of course, being the summer nude beach babe I took every split shift available (you're welcome, shift switchers) all summer long ...  and had the killer tanned bod to show for it!    :-)

• Love 1
4 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

I was a Directory Assistance operator in the early 70s - just before they made the switch from actual weird plug-in switchboards (cue the old-timey music) to something more "modern".  We still used the eraser head of a pencil to :thumb: through the pages of directories, and a little ruler to find the line of the person in that directory.  We were allowed 40 seconds per call, and even though I managed to reach that average, I was constantly called out by my Supervisors for sounding "too pleasant" (in fucking CANADA, no less!!!!).  Good Times.  :-)

Did you work for or with Ernestine? 

• Love 3
On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 2:02 PM, bilgistic said:

Speaking of people who suck, on my drive back from the vet yesterday, I had two people honk when they thought I didn't go fast enough taking off at stoplights. I was in front of these two men at separate times.

The first time, I stalled out because I didn't give my car enough gas when taking my foot off the clutch. I was wearing flip-flops, and I sometimes do that when wearing them. Forgive the hell out of me, asshole, for making you wait one whole second as I restart my car.

The second (and third) time was a man in a very large imposing pickup (I could barely see him in my rearview mirror because of how big the truck was). For no reason other than being a dick, he honked because I didn't jump the light. And then again at the next light. I didn't stall out those times; I went at a normal speed, taking off at the same time the car in the left lane did.

That happens A LOT around here. If you don't literally watch for the opposite light to turn yellow then jump your green light, people honk angrily. Well, sorry assholes, but I'd really rather not get killed by a red-light runner from the opposite light.

And I reflexively cursed loudly at them from the safety of my car, upsetting Bilgisticat, who was already freaked out from being in the car and having been to the vet. I have road rage for assholes.

That reminds me of George Carlin who said that he didn't jump on the green lights bc his brother might be coming the other way. (A red runner.)

He told it better than I did.

Edited by ari333
  • Love 1
On 4/29/2017 at 9:43 PM, stewedsquash said:

But the funny thing is, I never wanted to go to college and experience college life. I just want the knowledge without the extras.

As Frank Zappa said, if you want to get laid, go to college.  If you want an education, get a library card.

• Love 4

I met a lot of people I wouldn't have from myriad echelons and cultures I wouldn't fathom if I didn't go to school. I was forced to challenge myself in ways I never would have if I didn't go to school. It was a quarter system and VERY rigorous (hello reading 200 pages or more a night plus 2 papers a day for history and English, plus my German grammatik). I gained some experiences (I did several extra curriculars such as college quiz bowl and forensics and debate) that would not have been possible if I hadn't been a student. I will never forget speech and debate and how I felt at home, I was a national champ and while there's toastmasters and shit like that if one is inclined it isn't the same life and experience being on stage and fighting. Not everyone has to get a bachelors or masters to be well rounded or intellectual but it is admirable in many ways. I particularly don't care for arguments saying bypassing that life is the shrewder option or that they could have gone to an ivy but simply choose not to. It would be like me saying I could have been a military star. One never knows until they actually get accepted in that world and thrive. And in reality it's a life people work towards actively daily for years  and plan and still are rejected from. Valedictorians of HS are sometimes rejected from Stanford, Yale, Georgetown, Notre Dame, etc. 

And I know there are a great many things I simply could not do. I have an insane work ethic (75 hr work weeks and all nighters are easy peasy and things I choose) so would have been an ideal medical student but I detest suffering, human contact, blood, and drama; thus I would be a failure.  

• Love 8
32 minutes ago, ratgirlagogo said:

As Frank Zappa said, if you want to get laid, go to college.  If you want an education, get a library card.

And if you want the best of both worlds, fuck a PHD.  :=)

5 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

I met a lot of people I wouldn't have from myriad echelons and cultures I wouldn't fathom if I didn't go to school. I was forced to challenge myself in ways I never would have if I didn't go to school. It was a quarter system and VERY rigorous (hello reading 200 pages or more a night plus 2 papers a day for history and English, plus my German grammatik). I gained some experiences (I did several extra curriculars such as college quiz bowl and forensics and debate) that would not have been possible if I hadn't been a student. I will never forget speech and debate and how I felt at home, I was a national champ and while there's toastmasters and shit like that if one is inclined it isn't the same life and experience being on stage and fighting. Not everyone has to get a bachelors or masters to be well rounded or intellectual but it is admirable in many ways. I particularly don't care for arguments saying bypassing that life is the shrewder option or that they could have gone to an ivy but simply choose not to. It would be like me saying I could have been a military star. One never knows until they actually get accepted in that world and thrive. And in reality it's a life people work towards actively daily for years  and plan and still are rejected from. Valedictorians of HS are sometimes rejected from Stanford, Yale, Georgetown, Notre Dame, etc. 

And I know there are a great many things I simply could not do. I have an insane work ethic (75 hr work weeks and all nighters are easy peasy and things I choose) so would have been an ideal medical student but I detest suffering, human contact, blood, and drama; thus I would be a failure.  

Yeah, there's that.  Then there's being a denizen of the greatest nude beach ever, right down the cliff from the "University bunch" ... I had an "education", too!  :-)

• Love 3
(edited)

My latest pet peeve is music on YouTube. I don't mean music videos but tutorials or regular video with music. I was interested in a painting tutorial this morning, but I turned it off the second their stupid hipster music started. People, nobody gives a flying crap about how cool you are with your music. I'm unimpressed, and I suspect 99% of your viewers are unimpressed and mute it the second it starts. Play a quiet instrumental if you must. Or nature sounds. Anything but acoustic-crooning-no-deodorant-bearded-hipster-guy or quirky-tatted-hairy-arm pitted-hipster-chick. Please, just STOP! with the crap music. 

No offense to anyone with hairy armpits, tats, guitars, beards, or deodorant stones. Just stay away from the videos I want to watch!

Edited by bubbls
  • Love 2
17 minutes ago, bubbls said:

Please, just STOP! with the crap music. 

Heh. As long as ordinary people are going to be producing our entertainment, which is the Youtube model, we need to lower our standards on production values. I absorb a lot of second hand Youtube from my son's phone, and I'm thoroughly unimpressed. I do enjoy the fact that sometimes he's watching some guy talking about history or science, but those are usually offset by a pair of cackling morons later on.

• Love 4

On another topic: 'emergency' auto dial functions. One time I was accidently bumped an elevator's emergency button and ,before I knew it, it automatically dialed some obscure city department voice mail. I left a brief message saying that I was fine and didn't need any help but I couldn't wonder what would have happened had it been a REAL emergency that weekend with no one checking their voicemails until Monday morning!

• Love 2
(edited)
On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 3:29 PM, BookWoman56 said:

I also would not touch someone else's pet, whether inside or outside, without permission. The animal may be perfectly fine with its owner and other people who live in the same household. But from the cat's or dog's point of view, a strange person comes up to it and then proceeds to invade its space. I don't see anything particularly surprising about the animal's biting in response to what it perceives as a threat, and I don't think doing so makes the animal especially dangerous.  IMO, a dangerous animal is one that will attack someone when that person is not attempting to touch it or do something harmful. So, if I'm standing on my front porch and someone's unleashed dog runs up on the porch and bites me, that would be a dangerous animal. When I am visiting someone or out walking, sometimes a dog owner will tell me that the dog is friendly and can be touched. With other people's cats, though, even if the owner has told me the cat is friendly, my approach is to wait for the cat to come to me and either purr or rub around my ankles before I touch it. Walking up and touching a strange cat or dog is like people who walk up to you when you are pregnant and rub your belly without asking first. Some women may not mind that; others, like me, would have to resist the impulse to grab that person's hand and jerk it off my body, not caring if I happened to twist the offending person's arm while doing so. 

Great post. I don't like strange dogs (or even familiar dogs) to jump on me. Sometimes I'm outside and the neighbor's dog is not on a leash and it jumps on me. The owner laughs and says, "oh he likes you." I am clearly terrified and the owner seems to find it hilarious. I said, "Your dog is supposed to be on a leash and please keep him off of me. " This didn't work. I'm not sure what to do next. I don't know this person except that he lives in the next building. I complained to the management and apparently got nowhere bc the dog is still running loose and jumping at me.

Also, the dog is way over the weight limit for these apartments. And if he came at me at a wrong angle he could knock me over. I'm not young enough to take a fall. Even if  I were young I wouldn't want that.

Edited by ari333
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

Heh. As long as ordinary people are going to be producing our entertainment, which is the Youtube model, we need to lower our standards on production values. I absorb a lot of second hand Youtube from my son's phone, and I'm thoroughly unimpressed. I do enjoy the fact that sometimes he's watching some guy talking about history or science, but those are usually offset by a pair of cackling morons later on.

Oh, man. When my nephew is visiting, he likes to watch/listen to this British idiot on YouTube discussing (usually) Minecraft (but also other games). Don't get me wrong: I love the UK, Britons, and British accents. There's just something about this guy that I can't stand and I have to make my nephew wear headphones when I'm around and he wants to play any of that guy's videos.

7 minutes ago, ari333 said:

I'm not sure what to do next

Start reporting him to animal control and/or the police. And don't feel bad about doing it, either. You've told the guy you don't want his dog jumping on you, and yet he doesn't care or have respect enough to keep his dog leashed or at least under enough of his control to prevent that from happening. I've reported people like that before. They deserve no mercy. Nothing bad will happen to his dog.

• Love 4
26 minutes ago, MrSmith said:

Start reporting him to animal control and/or the police. And don't feel bad about doing it, either. You've told the guy you don't want his dog jumping on you, and yet he doesn't care or have respect enough to keep his dog leashed or at least under enough of his control to prevent that from happening. I've reported people like that before. They deserve no mercy. Nothing bad will happen to his dog.

Thank you. Start with one or the other? police or animal control? And I did worry something bad would happen to the dog. I don't want that. Also, IDK which apt he lives in . I only know the building. (There are 8 units in each) I guess I felt hesitant too bc I thought they'd (police etc) would  ask his address and all I know is the building number. (and the dog description.) HUGE. There is a common door in every building so someone could live in any of 8 units. If that makes sense...

I feel angry bc the dog charges at me and it is so much heavier than the limit for dogs here. I love animals and don't want anything bad for him, but I'm so tired of it. And even if he isn't around I feel scared bc I never know when he'll come charging out of the door. I have to walk past there (or drive and get out) to get our mail and take out our garbage. I shouldn't have to feel nervous.

(edited)

Sorry I posted twice in a row. Some people are going to get mad. I thought I was in the "merge" 5 minute thing. Sorry.

I know the color of the dog and the name he answers to and I can take a guess at the weight. IDK the breed bc I just don't know. . But I'd think he'd be hard to miss. Or try to snap of photo of him running loose.

Edited by ari333

@ari333 I'd probably start with animal control. They'll take the time to go knocking on doors. Also, if he hasn't registered his dog with the city, they'll probably give him a window in which to do it and, if he fails, they'll fine him. The police are less likely to go knocking on doors and the only thing they'll probably be interested in is fining him for not registering his dog. (That assumes he has not, and he probably has not. I haven't registered my dog with my city.) Animal control is more interested in helping (or making, when helping fails) people be better pet owners. They'll probably proactively make him think about different situations where his dog jumping on someone is a bad idea. And they'll probably make him see the harm that could come to his dog from it, too.

(edited)

rt with one or the other? police or animal control?

Animal Control Officer here. Call Animal Control. Police departments usually don't want to deal with animal related issues .  Unless you city has specific animal code leash laws--then you can report it to code as well. Do try to to photograph the dog loose if you can---it helps the Animal Control Officer in dealing with the owner if their they can present them with proof.  You can remain anonymous at first. If it gets to the point where you want citations issued against the owner, you would need to provide proof of the violation anyway.

ETA:  I would try asking around for his unit before calling though.  Yes, ACO will knock on doors, but many people will lie or hide their dog because they still believe the misconception that AC is coming to take their dog away.

Edited by AgentRXS
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, AgentRXS said:

Animal Control Officer here. Call Animal Control. Police departments usually don't want to deal with animal related issues .  Unless you city has specific animal code leash laws--then you can report it to code as well. Do try to to photograph the dog loose if you can---it helps the Animal Control Officer in dealing with the owner if their they can present them with proof.  You can remain anonymous at first. If it gets to the point where you want citations issued against the owner, you would need to provide proof of the violation anyway.

Thank you, AgentRXS  And you too, MrSmith.  I was hoping  to get some solutions (and remain anonymous)  without making this dude hostile and getting my tires slashed or something worse. I'm a middle aged chick and this dude is 20's ish.

• Love 2

Thank you, AgentRXS  And you too, MrSmith.  I was hoping  to get some solutions (and remain anonymous)  without making this dude hostile and getting my tires slashed or something worse.

I'll be honest-- loose dogs (At Large complaints is what ACOs) issues are our most repeat offenders. ACOs can go to the same residence time after time and issue citation after citation and people will still let their dogs run loose just out of spite.  And there isn't much Animal Control can do,except keep issuing citations. Most Animal Control depts these days will not remove a dog from its owner unless its mistreated or a severe animal-to-human attack. So good luck :(

I always feel so bad for the complainants in these situations---everyone deserves the right to live in peace.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Blergh said:

On another topic: 'emergency' auto dial functions

I worked on the 2010 Census, in one of the local offices.  We had a VOIP phone set up, which you had to dial "9 - 1" and the area code/phone number for all calls, even local.  They told us to dial the entire number before picking up the handset, because if you dialed "9-1" and paused long enough to check the number you were trying to call, the system would automatically dial the last 1 and you would get the local police department's 911 Emergency operator.  Apparently, a few people had done that, then hung up before the operator answered, and the police dispatched a car to check the 911-hangup.  It happened to me once, although I didn't think I paused that long.  When the operator answered, I said "Oops, sorry..."  He asked "Census?"  I said yes, and he hung up on me.

• Love 3

Our company's phones were the same way for a while, you had to dial 9, 1 and then the area code and number. I can't tell you how many times the whole company got an email from HR about not hanging up if you accidentally dialed 911. They finally changed it to 8, 1, area code this year. I think they got tired of the police showing up at all hours of the day and I'm sure the city threatened to start fining us.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, ari333 said:

Great post. I don't like strange dogs (or even familiar dogs) to jump on me. Sometimes I'm outside and the neighbor's dog is not on a leash and it jumps on me. The owner laughs and says, "oh he likes you." I am clearly terrified and the owner seems to find it hilarious. I said, "Your dog is supposed to be on a leash and please keep him off of me. " This didn't work. I'm not sure what to do next. I don't know this person except that he lives in the next building. I complained to the management and apparently got nowhere bc the dog is still running loose and jumping at me.

Next time say "I don't just not like dogs; I'm scared of dogs. and under no circumstances do I want your dog jumping on me. If you won't leash him, have some fucking respect for myself and your animal and keep him off me.

• Love 2

@ari333 off leash dogs are a huge peeve of mine and I'm a dog lover!!! It's so dangerous and disrespectful. I have a tiny dog and who is a male terrier so when charged even by a big dog will stand his ground and be protective. It's terrifying. He's a tiny guy minding his own damn business when run up on. 

Also I've seen off leash dogs from my neighborhood and mom's  area, who owners swear up and down it's ok or even cuss me out for daring to complain to them, run into the street and get hit. It's terrible to see dogs die in front of my eyes because of owners laziness and ignorance. this is a responsibility that is chosen so please actually TRY to do what the animal requires and deserves. 

This was mentioned much earlier in the thread pages back but happened to me today that at work a woman slammed her cart at the store into me as I was walking. She was just like "haha oops". It's scary how many people slam carts into people or displays or walk into walls and then get into cars and zip along the road LOL. 

• Love 2
On 4/30/2017 at 8:58 PM, ratgirlagogo said:

I started college at 17 on an academic scholarship.  I had to study all the time to keep the GPA required to have the scholarship renewed each year.  I worked nights, full time, to pay expenses.   I had no time for parties, So I guess I never had the "college life", just the education.  I worked harder than ever during that time, really pushed myself, with no financial or emotional support from my parents.  It was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life.  I was exposed to people, cultures, and ideas I never knew existed.  I would be a different person today if I hadn't had that experience.  

• Love 6
13 hours ago, MrSmith said:

Oh, man. When my nephew is visiting, he likes to watch/listen to this British idiot on YouTube discussing (usually) Minecraft (but also other games). Don't get me wrong: I love the UK, Britons, and British accents. There's just something about this guy that I can't stand and I have to make my nephew wear headphones when I'm around and he wants to play any of that guy's videos.

Once Animal Control is involved, the "nothing bad will happen to the dog" flies out the window, so be very careful about reporting, lest you punish an overly excited dog for his owner's ignorance.  You are better than that, A - you have compassion for angry sguirrel, fer fucks sake!!!  :-D

• Love 1
1 hour ago, walnutqueen said:

Once Animal Control is involved, the "nothing bad will happen to the dog" flies out the window, so be very careful about reporting, lest you punish an overly excited dog for his owner's ignorance.  You are better than that, A - you have compassion for angry sguirrel, fer fucks sake!!!  :-D

Yeah, the dog is usually the one punished. :( 

I have an overly-excitable dog, who got into a bit of trouble in March. Luckily, nothing happened beyond the incident, but it scared me so much. He's strong, and is extremely sociable, but he gets way too excited. I'm hoping to get him into training with people who prefer to work with dogs like him, to see if we can calm him down.

• Love 3

Re: lectures to watch. Have The Great Courses and The Great Courses Plus already been mentioned? You can get free trials for each, 30 days for GCP. The Black Death was the best just for the toy rats.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

Well, I figured it's a simple "dog off leash" situation, which should mostly result in punishment for the owner. Besides, if animal control were to seize the dog, as friendly as it seems to be it won't be there very long.

2 hours ago, Anela said:

Yeah, the dog is usually the one punished. :( 

I have an overly-excitable dog, who got into a bit of trouble in March. Luckily, nothing happened beyond the incident, but it scared me so much. He's strong, and is extremely sociable, but he gets way too excited. I'm hoping to get him into training with people who prefer to work with dogs like him, to see if we can calm him down.

What happened in the incident? What kind of dog is it? We have an Irish Wolfhound who also gets very excited to see people (and animals of all kinds). We've had to purchase a horse lead in order to be able to control him because other leashes were simply too weak and broke quickly. If your dog is smart, it should be pretty easily trained. I've got ours trained to turn left, right, and turn around on command. He recognizes street corners and stops at each one. Even as excited as he gets about people, I've got him trained to sit down and get excited. So, he tends to run up to people and then sit down and wait for them to give him attention. Of course, he's also learned our usual routes where we walk him. And that means that corners that we always turn left or right at (and which do not involve crossing a street) he simply won't wait for the command. (Turns that involve crossing a street always involve a "halt" command, then a "come left" or "come right" command.)

• Love 1

I wish there was some kind of hand signal for "I'm sorry."  This morning I almost hit a car changing lanes.  My bad.  Waving or giving a peace sign looks cavalier and obviously a raised fist or single finger salute is out.

• Love 2

Once Animal Control is involved, the "nothing bad will happen to the dog" flies out the window, so be very careful about reporting, lest you punish an overly excited dog for his owner's ignorance.  

Yeah, the dog is usually the one punished.

Sigh. I really wish this misconception would die. There are a few bad ones in every bunch, but I'd say most ACOs today are trying to shed that image of the "dog catcher" from a bygone era.

We see so much horrible  crap on the job (I could tell you stories that would cause nightmares)  that I would say not a single person wants to take a dog just because their owner is allegedly letting their dog loose. (I say allegedly because unless they physically see the dog off leash themselves, its just a neighborly complaint.)

Trust me, most shelters are so overcrowded these days---no one wants to take anyone's dog (or cat for that matter)  unless absolutely necessary :Stray animals with no ID/microchip, animals living in deplorable conditions, and in some regions, animals that are said to have severely bitten or killed a human/other animal.

• Love 5
23 minutes ago, AgentRXS said:

Sigh. I really wish this misconception would die. There are a few bad ones in every bunch, but I'd say most ACOs today are trying to shed that image of the "dog catcher" from a bygone era.

We see so much horrible  crap on the job (I could tell you stories that would cause nightmares)  that I would say not a single person wants to take a dog just because their owner is allegedly letting their dog loose. (I say allegedly because unless they physically see the dog off leash themselves, its just a neighborly complaint.)

Trust me, most shelters are so overcrowded these days---no one wants to take anyone's dog (or cat for that matter)  unless absolutely necessary :Stray animals with no ID/microchip, animals living in deplorable conditions, and in some regions, animals that are said to have severely bitten or killed a human/other animal.

I have nothing but respect for animal control officers and the very tough jobs they have (Animal Cops is still one of my favorite series, reruns daily).  Overcrowded shelters are a problem everywhere, and shouldn't be. I was just inarticulately trying to say that a dog jumping up on you doesn't usually rise to the reporting level, unless you've been hurt and cannot avoid said excited canine.  Of course, I let them jump up and lick my face whenever I get the chance, so I'm totally biased.  :-D

• Love 4

How about a ping-pong paddle with "sorry!" written on it? Flash as needed. Maybe the other side could read "Get off your phone!", but don't mix them up. LOL

Because you know I would be crashing while flashing!

• Love 6

The Humane Society here makes people pay to surrender animals even if it's kittens or a stray that's people have found. My pet peeve with them is how many rude people they have working there. There are plenty of complaints on their FB page too from people with perfectly sane concerns along with some nuts too. One problem we have here is there aren't any rescue shelters with the nearest ones being in the states to the left and right of us so the Humane Society here uses that fact to their advantage at times.

• Love 2

Our Humane Society does not accept animals from the public. It only accepts animals from the city's animal shelter (which is in the same building) if the Humane Society shelter has room. The city shelter regularly moves animals over, however.

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, Jaded said:

The Humane Society here makes people pay to surrender animals even if it's kittens or a stray that's people have found. My pet peeve with them is how many rude people they have working there. There are plenty of complaints on their FB page too from people with perfectly sane concerns along with some nuts too. One problem we have here is there aren't any rescue shelters with the nearest ones being in the states to the left and right of us so the Humane Society here uses that fact to their advantage at times.

That is just awful, and makes me ever so glad that I was able to receive free help (spays/neuters) for my feral backyard momma and her kittens through the Feral Cat Coalition many years ago.  I guess San Diego County is the place to be, with so many animal rescues and resources ... And my backyard is the place to be for any hungry critter - I feed 'em all.  :-)

• Love 3
40 minutes ago, auntlada said:

Our Humane Society does not accept animals from the public. It only accepts animals from the city's animal shelter (which is in the same building) if the Humane Society shelter has room. The city shelter regularly moves animals over, however.

The Humane Society here has a contract with the city and police department which complicates things.  City officials have been going back and forth on plans for an actual city shelter for years due to people complaining about being refused at the HS.  If the contract has lapsed the HS tells people they can't accept animals from the public unless they have an ongoing contract with the PD. It's so screwed up and weird here in MS in general which is yet another pet peeve of mine. I feel like a space alien sometimes for having different views then most people that live here.

• Love 2
(edited)
7 hours ago, MrSmith said:

Well, I figured it's a simple "dog off leash" situation, which should mostly result in punishment for the owner. Besides, if animal control were to seize the dog, as friendly as it seems to be it won't be there very long.

What happened in the incident? What kind of dog is it? We have an Irish Wolfhound who also gets very excited to see people (and animals of all kinds). We've had to purchase a horse lead in order to be able to control him because other leashes were simply too weak and broke quickly. If your dog is smart, it should be pretty easily trained. I've got ours trained to turn left, right, and turn around on command. He recognizes street corners and stops at each one. Even as excited as he gets about people, I've got him trained to sit down and get excited. So, he tends to run up to people and then sit down and wait for them to give him attention. Of course, he's also learned our usual routes where we walk him. And that means that corners that we always turn left or right at (and which do not involve crossing a street) he simply won't wait for the command. (Turns that involve crossing a street always involve a "halt" command, then a "come left" or "come right" command.)

My dad didn't have a strong enough hold on his leash, when he opened the door, and he took off after a dog that was being walked past our house. He wants to play, but he's so strong, and he scared the dog. The guy lost hold of his dog, and mine chased his off down the street. Ours came walking back, not long after, and I guess he found his dog, because we didn't hear from him again (thank goodness). I was afraid that my dog was going to be punished for our failure to keep him under control. 

We're working with him on "stay" and "sit". I'll suggest a horse lead to dad. 

5 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

I don't have an awful opinion of the dog warden. I actually volunteer for one, although I'm pretty new, I got my two rescue dogs from them. I volunteer there, got fingerprints and everything, because these people love the dogs, and do their best to keep them alive. They have their own vet that spends time there - vet techs, too. I love them.

This guy was talking about suing, the guy I mentioned above. Understandably, if anything had happened to his dog. I was terrified the authorities were going to turn up - I was thinking police, and the dog warden having to follow rules. Not blaming them. 

Also: our dog warden and his staff, have posted videos on their facebook pages, warning people to not let their excitable dogs get away with things, saying they "just want to play" because things can turn nasty. I'd seen that about a week before my dog chased the other one. 

Edited by Anela
  • Love 3

One of my pet peeves comes to people who make assumptions about others' lives, or intentions. I actually have quite a few peeves today. 

I don't know how I missed this, and other threads. I only found it, because I looked up @walnutqueen - we talk in other threads occasionally, and I haven't seen you around. :) Every so often, I remember there's a book forum here. I post my vents in a thread on a private board, where I have close friends. 

• Love 3
20 hours ago, stewedsquash said:

I would go to Costco and buy two cases of those dog biscuits that dogs go crazy over and then go buy one of those dog training outfits and wear it whenever I went outside, taking the treats with me always. Then when I saw the dog, I could throw a treat and not be hurt if he jumped on me. They guy would laugh, and say cool, want to come over to my place and have a beer with me and my wife? The dog would just walk along beside me wagging his tail,  after I say Hell yeah! and when I sit down after going in side the dog would jump on the couch and rest his head on my leg and go to sleep on his back. While we are drinking our beer the wife would say My husband is a chef, would you like to eat supper with us? Padma is dropping by and she will be bringing a dessert. Of course I say Hell yeah! and then a couple hours later, after walking home and bathing and then slipping into the bed, I sigh contentedly and say, Wow, you just never know where life will lead you. 

Or I would move. 

But that's just me.

......wow *sigh*

I was sharing a legit concern. 

• Love 6
(edited)

@stewedsquash

Amazon offers the The Great Courses channel for $7.99 a month...I think. The Great Courses Plus subscription starts at $17.99? But 30 day free trial! You can binge a hell of a lot if you time it well. Also, the GCP include guides you can download and keep forever. They include most, maybe all, of the info from the course plus reading lists. Courses range from 12 or so episodes to 36 (I think that was the longest I saw) with each lecture lasting about 30 minutes. The lecturer for the Black Death and King Arthur is one of the best--Dorsey Armstrong from Purdue University.  I also enjoyed Eric Cline's course on archaeology, a couple of the travel ones and... I've lost track of how many I watched before the 30 days were up.

Most of the courses I watched were done on a set that looked like an office or a study, I guess. There are always props on the table, chairs, and desk that reflect the topic but they more or less stay the same throughout the course. But for the Black Death, the stuffed toy rats were both moved around between lectures and varied in number. And in the final lecture, they were mostly toes up. Once you notice them, you can't not notice them. I ended up counting them every time and had to rewind to listen to the content because I was so focussed on finding them all.

Edited by ABay
WTF?
25 minutes ago, ari333 said:

......wow *sigh*

I was sharing a legit concern. 

The owner of the dog should be more considerate. Ours will ever so gently stand up and give people kisses, and take their attention, and then he will get excited, and start to jump and grab. We've had to tell people who say, "Oh, it's okay" that it isn't okay, and that we're trying to train him out of it. 

• Love 5