Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

My pet peeve today is when every person I come across  wants to talk to me about march Madness, and brackets, and college basketball.   I DON"T CARE!

"ooh! the Northwestern game is on, we have to watch it, because of BRACKETS!"  WTF? people who don't watch pro basketball, who didn't go to college, have to stop what they're doing because of brackets?   I'm sure I'm saying it wrong, but I don't care.   When I tell these people I don't care, they try to EXPLAIN the concept to me, show me their brackets. their husbands/sons/fathers/sisters Brackets and cant accept that I simply DO NOT CARE.

No offense to anyone here.  If you enjoy that sort of thing - go for it.   Just don't insist that everyone be as into it as you are.  

• Love 10

I've got something to get off my chest about Amazon that has irritated me lately-- last year for Christmas, my brother Mike gave me a gift card to Amazon for $25, which I put towards the two-season all-in-one of the 1958-60 syndicated Mike Hammer w/the late Darren McGavin. It didn't arrive for the longest time, and I kept checking on it and checking on it, and then eventually, they said that they needed more time to come up with a delivery date. The problem is, it had been near to two months (possibly three) since I made the purchase, and I had never received it. Eventually (and this might sound foolish to you), I just gave up and canceled the purchase. The good news is, the money to my gift card was refunded right then and there; the bad is that I can't get it for less than $90 now. I know you'll probably say that it was just the Christmas rush of so many purchases at the time from other people, but I waited and waited and waited and never got my purchase, nor a delivery date.

Just wanted to get that off my chest here, because I wanted to see that 1958-60 series so much.

• Love 3

Look at the bright side, March Madness will be OVER by April! I cosign though on how annoying it is to have others try to ram down one's throat their own self-induced frenzy over stuff I'm not interested in (and that includes Frozen, Game of Thrones and all Star Wars movies, sequels, adaptations,etc. after "Return of the Jedi").

• Love 2

people who don't watch pro basketball, who didn't go to college, have to stop what they're doing because of brackets?

While I love March Madness, I completely agree that it's ridiculous when people assume everyone else does, too, and to try and persuade someone to watch or talk about it when they've just said they're not interested.  However, it's not at all unusual for people who did not attend the college whose team they're watching (or any college) or who don't watch NBA games to watch college basketball, especially during the tournament.  It's common with football, too - college and pro games, although of the same sport, are really pretty different, and a lot of people enjoy college play, but not professional.  And college teams have fans well beyond their alumni base (if they didn't, the sport wouldn't be so profitable).

• Love 5

I'm doubtful the buzz about the tournament was due to Obama. It's been a quite big thing since the late 80s when the networks started televising every game. I do think streaming games online increased the popularity, because you can watch at work, and the 24/7 news cycle contributed to the coverage. Office pool brackets have been a thing since as long as I can remember. I'm a casual fan, but I enjoy the do or die format.

1 hour ago, Bastet said:

However, it's not at all unusual for people who did not attend the college whose team they're watching (or any college) or who don't watch NBA games to watch college basketball, especially during the tournament.

Yes, it's an event. It's like, 'hey, let's grab some beers after work and meet up with so and so and watch some of the games.' I'm not a huge college football fan, but if someone was like, 'come over and watch the Rose Bowl. We're having a bbq.' I'm going. I wouldn't shove it down anyone's throat though. There's plenty of other viewing options, sports or otherwise.

• Love 9

UGH, my peeve this week is the stupid snow-plow guys that our condo association contracts. The geniuses piled it all around the mailboxes and now the mailman can't get to them. I figured that might be what was going on after two days with nothing, but confirmed it today when I tracked a package and saw a note that said "receptacle blocked." 

• Love 5
5 hours ago, ganesh said:

I'm doubtful the buzz about the tournament was due to Obama. It's been a quite big thing since the late 80s when the networks started televising every game. I do think streaming games online increased the popularity, because you can watch at work, and the 24/7 news cycle contributed to the coverage. Office pool brackets have been a thing since as long as I can remember. I'm a casual fan, but I enjoy the do or die format.

Yes, it's an event. It's like, 'hey, let's grab some beers after work and meet up with so and so and watch some of the games.' I'm not a huge college football fan, but if someone was like, 'come over and watch the Rose Bowl. We're having a bbq.' I'm going. I wouldn't shove it down anyone's throat though. There's plenty of other viewing options, sports or otherwise.

I agree - I've been filling out brackets at the office (everywhere I've worked)  for about 30 years.

• Love 4

I went to a big ten school and live in Chicago the March Madness popularity and frenzy wasn't due to any one person. Also I totally agree with @Blergh and was going to post the same sentiment. It's really annoying when people start those conversations and then steamroll you even after you politely say you aren't a fan or follow Star Wars, Walking Dead, the Blackhawks, whatever and they keep gushing and saying why you should be so excited and shitting your pants also. I go crazy over makeup but I'm not throwing in it people's faces if they don't know who Wayne Goss is or why Viseart is relevant. I could try to do the same and explain but I'm sure my voice would be the Charlie Brown's teacher "Wah wah wo Wah wah" 

• Love 1

Old lady rant of the day: Do people not push their chairs in anymore?? People at work leave their chairs nearly in the aisles, and apparently people in the wild don't push in chairs anymore, either.

Related: I've bitched about this before buuuut...a nail salon is not the place for children! I was just getting a pedicure, and there's a freaking infant in a carrier here. I understand that mom wants to get out, but a nail salon with noxious chemicals, loud music and lots of people (to trip over the carrier that is on the floor) is not a place for a six-month-old!

Another woman has her maybe six-year-old daughter here, and got her a manicure and pedicure. Nice life, kid. It's $34 with tip for my pedicure. I get one only about once a month, but then, I pay for my own, and not with my allowance.

The kid was "drying" her nails beside me at the drying station (UV lights and fans). She got up and came back about 374 time's, leaving the chair either in the path of the door or up against me.

Her mom was somewhere else in the salon. How about making her sit still beside of you, lady? When mom got done, she brought the kid back to the drying station and the kid was there for another three seconds. Mom grabbed the kids sandals, put them on her and didn't push the chair in. Gah!

Granted, I grew up poor and my mother would've laughed in my face if I asked her to take me to get my nails done. I did my own nails at home, but this was also 1,000 years ago. Also, I didn't have an allowance.

Anyway, I hate people.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 13

I get frustrated when I'm watching a movie that has subtitles, and the filmmaker or distributor didn't take into account how visible the subtitles would be against the movie. I don't know enough German to know what they're saying! And the dialogue is important! 

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Frisson said:

I get frustrated when I'm watching a movie that has subtitles, and the filmmaker or distributor didn't take into account how visible the subtitles would be against the movie. I don't know enough German to know what they're saying! And the dialogue is important! 

Yes. And sometimes it is so damn tiny.

4 hours ago, ari333 said:

Yes. And sometimes it is so damn tiny.

I simply cannot take the new trend of showing characters' texts to each other on the screen. There's absolutely no way I can read them unless I pause what I'm watching and move to a foot from the TV. Stop it, directors!

• Love 10
5 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

I simply cannot take the new trend of showing characters' texts to each other on the screen. There's absolutely no way I can read them unless I pause what I'm watching and move to a foot from the TV. Stop it, directors!

Agree! Moreover, as Captain 20th Century, I dislike it enough seeing folks gawk at their sardine-can screens in person so why would they think I (or anyone else) be entertained seeing texts on our own screens ? Hello, we watch dramas to try to escape banalities of the real world!

• Love 1

I took my granddaughters (ages 3 and 7) to their gymnastics class.  The adults sit in a waiting room type area and watch the kids through a glass wall (I say it's kinda like visiting them in prison).  Last week there were about 15 adults (both genders).   I was the only one who wasn't glued to their cell phone for the entire hour.  I noticed several were on Facebook.  Nobody was bothering to watch their kids - granted this wasn't the Olympics and mostly the kids are tumbling, walking a beam, swinging on a bar and prancing around.   I got a certain satisfaction when a kid would walk up to the glass near his/her parent's ear, pound on the glass (scaring the hell out of their parent) and bellow,"Watch me!"  

If I'd have been on my phone,  I probably would have missed my 3-year-old blowing me kisses through the glass.  I'll take that over Facebook any day.

• Love 11
3 hours ago, Angeltoes said:

I took my granddaughters (ages 3 and 7) to their gymnastics class.  The adults sit in a waiting room type area and watch the kids through a glass wall (I say it's kinda like visiting them in prison).  Last week there were about 15 adults (both genders).   I was the only one who wasn't glued to their cell phone for the entire hour.  I noticed several were on Facebook.  Nobody was bothering to watch their kids - granted this wasn't the Olympics and mostly the kids are tumbling, walking a beam, swinging on a bar and prancing around.   I got a certain satisfaction when a kid would walk up to the glass near his/her parent's ear, pound on the glass (scaring the hell out of their parent) and bellow,"Watch me!"  

If I'd have been on my phone,  I probably would have missed my 3-year-old blowing me kisses through the glass.  I'll take that over Facebook any day.

I've gone with my daughter to my granddaughter's gymnastics class and I noticed the same damn thing. I feel bad for the kids when they do something well and look to see if their mom saw and mom is glued to her phone.  The kids always look so disappointed.   We were the only ones actually watching the kids.  Who wants to stare at a phone when you have adorable little girls trying to do a cartwheel?  

@bilgistic, I'm the only person I know who has NEVER had her nails done. I have always enjoyed doing my nails myself and I'm pretty good at it but kids in a nail salon would be really annoying.  My daughter gets her nails done once a month and I babysit when she goes.  I like kids but there are some places they just don't belong. 

• Love 4

So agree about pushing in chairs.  Also about texts on TV screens.  Not all of us have succumbed to having a 60-inch screen, you know.  Add to that the TV shows that put up a graphic with information they think you need that overlaps with the graphic you NEVER need in the right-hand corner of the screen.  Finally, I don't enjoy watching tennis as much as I used to because the score box in the bottom of the screen is illegible and they seldom do a full screen graphic going into or our of a commercial break any more.

• Love 3
18 hours ago, Angeltoes said:

I took my daughter to an indoor Softball practice a couple of weeks ago. I think I struck the perfect balance of watching my daughter and a friend's daughter (because she couldn't be there and I wanted to tell her how her daughter did) when it was their turns to do something, and staring down at my phone so that nobody would attempt to strike up a conversation with me.  ISFJ. The I stands for introvert.

• Love 4

I am totally with you on the no kids at the nail salon thing. I always did my own nails at home so for me, going to the salon is a pampering me time kind of thing. I know the salon is not a library but I also don't think it's the place to bring your kid (or multiple kids) if they aren't capable of sitting quietly for an hour. They shouldn't be running back and forth or yelling to their mom from across the salon. It's just inconsiderate to everyone else, and I hate that people think they can go out in public and basically ignore their kids. You are the parent so you're still responsible for them!

In addition to not pushing chairs in, I also hate when people don't close cabinets. One place I worked, people would go into the office supply/copy room to get something and then leave all the cabinet doors open. It takes one second and almost NO strength to close the cabinets but these people insisted on leaving them open which I found really annoying.

I can't remember which show it was (maybe Deutschland 83) but they had NO regard whatsoever about the subtitles, despite the fact that they deliberately marketed the show to be for both American and German audiences. There were so many scenes where the white subtitles were on top of white walls, white floors, white clothing, etc. It was infuriating and frustrating!

I will add to that complaint: when networks put those animated ads that take up the bottom 1/3 of the screen WHILE THERE ARE SUBTITLES.

When my sister was a competitive gymnast approximately one million years ago, my mom didn't have the option to be on the internet or even on a cell phone BUT I will say in defense of some of the other parents, when you drive an hour each way six days a week to take your kid to the gym, some of it gets pretty old. Luckily I didn't have to go with them, but I can tell you that I would not have been excited about watching my sister do 100 v-ups every freaking day!

• Love 3
2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

BUT I will say in defense of some of the other parents, when you drive an hour each way six days a week to take your kid to the gym, some of it gets pretty old. Luckily I didn't have to go with them, but I can tell you that I would not have been excited about watching my sister do 100 v-ups every freaking day!

Yeah, going to a game/competition your kid is in and staring at your phone would be pretty bad parenting, but a class seems different to me -- it seems like pretty much the equivalent of practice sessions for after-school sports, which parents don't attend.  So, I think it's fine to spend a good chunk of time reading; you're basically just stuck there because it's too short a time to drop them off and come back for them, right?  I think it's a good system for the kids to come to the window and say, "Watch me," when they're getting ready to do something they want you to see (their favorite apparatus, something they've been really working on and are proud to have improved, etc.) and otherwise read or whatever to pass the time.  I never participated in any sports that weren't through school, so my parents didn't have to drive me someplace and wait -- I just stayed after school for practice and my mom picked me up when it was done.  If parents had to sit there while we did bump, set, spike exercises or practiced lay-ups, I'd hope for their sake they had good reading material!

In addition to not pushing chairs in, I also hate when people don't close cabinets.

A friend of mine moved in with her fiancé, and he leaves their kitchen cabinets open all the time; if she lets him live long enough to actually marry him, I'll be impressed. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 4
18 hours ago, Maharincess said:

I'm the only person I know who has NEVER had her nails done.

I've never had my nails done, and I haven't even put nail polish on them since I was in high school.  But I think about that when I see designs on people's nails these days--I would do mine in 4 horizontal stripes, putting tape on them to keep straight lines.  40-something years ago.

I've never had my hair colored. 

• Love 2

People at work leave kitchen cabinet doors and the refrigerator door open. What the hell?

And then there's this:

IMG_20170313_191217-302x403.jpg.7e5e04f9bd01f80616b9fb355e034485.jpg

Actual adults do this daily, sometimes several times a day because they have a stockpile of moldy mugs and glasses at their desks, and they finally bring them to the kitchen. I have to reload the dishwasher every evening so I can put my one glass in it.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

People at work leave kitchen cabinet doors and the refrigerator door open.

Who raised these people?  I don't understand leaving cabinet doors open, because who wants to look at what's inside - or bump their head on a door - but leaving the refrigerator door open?  Didn't they get That Look growing up when they stood in front of the open refrigerator for too long (with or without declaring, regarding a fully-stocked fridge, "There's nothing to eat in here")?  Maybe they did, and this is some odd form of rebellion; now that I'm an adult, I'll just leave the door open permanently?

I'm well and truly baffled by this one.  I, unfortunately, have had co-workers who don't push in chairs, and a few who don't close cabinet doors, but I haven't encountered an open refrigerator.

I think I see a Newk's cup in that dishwasher.   I love their honey mustard dressing--it has a surprising kick to it.  My peeve is that I'm not always near a Newk's and when I buy a quart of that dressing to take with me, I start getting really sad as I get to the bottom.

Looking at how they load that dishwasher, I think I'd hand wash my glass, to make sure that all of it at least gets water on it, never mind actually clean.

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Looking at how they load that dishwasher, I think I'd hand wash my glass, to make sure that all of it at least gets water on it, never mind actually clean.

Looking at how they load that dishwasher has the same kind of effect as when I see somebody's leg bent in the wrong direction during a football game.  Just a deep down, "oh no" punch in the gut kind of thing.  JTMacc needs the dishwasher to be loaded in an orderly fashion.  

• Love 4

I've never had my nails done either.  I always just do them myself and I've gotten pretty good at it.  I like to do fun colors like dark blue or purple even though I'm 37. Sue me.  

I've also never dyed my hair, nor had any inclination to do so.  I'm boring I guess.

That dishwasher is making me twitch.  Who does that?  I also can't stand open cabinets or drawers.  I have to close them.

We don't even use our dishwasher. Its just the two of us so why waste the water and energy to run it.   I'm a clean as I go kind of cook, when I finish using a knife or something, I wash it and put it in the dish drainer so when dinner is over, there are only a few things to wash.   Now that L is home every night, he does dishes.  He likes doing them.  But, when I did use a dishwasher in the past it had to be loaded properly. 

I agree about leaving cabinet doors open. L never closes the damn doors and it makes me crazy. 

While my son and DIL are staying with me for a while after relocating from overseas, they are both regularly loading the dishwasher. Their way of loading it drives me nuts; it's the equivalent of college kids overloading the clothes washer. I have to resist the temptation to go in and reload the damn thing. The only thing that keeps me from doing that is that at least, they're dealing with the kitchen so I don't have to. But as soon as they move into their own place, the way the dishwasher gets loaded will revert back to normal.  Leaving cabinet doors open also makes me crazy; years ago I wasn't paying enough attention and slammed my forehead into the corner of an open cabinet door.  That experience was painful enough to reinforce that the cabinet doors need to be closed unless you are in the act of getting something out or putting something into the cabinet. 

3 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

Looking at how they load that dishwasher has the same kind of effect as when I see somebody's leg bent in the wrong direction during a football game.  Just a deep down, "oh no" punch in the gut kind of thing.  JTMacc needs the dishwasher to be loaded in an orderly fashion.  

We have 75ish people in our office, so a dishwasher is necessary, but you'd think these folks were raised in caves. The dishwasher will have just been emptied and they'll put their glasses in the sink. So them ending up in the dishwasher is a small victory, but still, that scene in that picture is just beyond my comprehension. It almost causes me physical pain to see the dishwasher looking like that.

I have attempted to educate anyone in the kitchen with me by showing them that when loaded properly, 25(!!) mugs will fit perfectly on the bottom rack, and way more glasses than that will fit on the top rack.

BTW, it's no one person's job to load and run the dishwasher, but I guess when you are quite well off, your "wifey" or daily housekeeper does it for you, rendering you incapable. These same folks lack the ability to look in the cabinet for a new roll of paper towels when they use the last one on the previous roll.

You wouldn't need a dishwasher at all if  those people weren't pigs. If you dirty a cup, take it to the sink, wash it dry it and put it away when you're done. (Not you-you but you know what I mean).  I hate people that make a mess and then expect somebody else to clean it up.  It literally takes less than a minute to wash, dry and put away a dish.  I would feel guilty if I made a mess in a public area like that and didn't clean up after myself.   That's why I hate people who litter.  If you throw something on the ground, somebody else has to pick it up. Assholes. 

• Love 6

Using the last roll and not replacing it takes me to a somewhat similar peeve: When my dad is at my house, he never, ever refills the Brita pitcher, even if pouring himself a glass of water means he's putting it back bone dry.  I come out of my hair every time, so at this point I think he just does it to mess with me.  But it drives me nuts; I don't discover it until I want a glass for myself, and while it's no big deal to refill, and takes hardly any time, it means I have to add ice -- and then the water is colder than I want (but preferable to warmer than I want as it comes out of the tap).  Plus, you're not supposed to let those filters dry out.  Grrr; my dad is hardly ever here, so this is only an occasional annoyance, but it drives me batty.

• Love 4

Peeve on me: not believing/paying attention that something is dishwasher safe for the top shelf. Warped the lid to my food processor.

PS peeve: it was inexpensive, worked perfectly, and isn't made any more.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Lord Donia said:

Peeve on me: not believing/paying attention that something is dishwasher safe for the top shelf. Warped the lid to my food processor.

Did the instructions to your food processor specifically say "top shelf?"

10 hours ago, bilgistic said:

We have 75ish people in our office, so a dishwasher is necessary, but you'd think these folks were raised in caves. The dishwasher will have just been emptied and they'll put their glasses in the sink. So them ending up in the dishwasher is a small victory, but still, that scene in that picture is just beyond my comprehension. It almost causes me physical pain to see the dishwasher looking like that.

I have attempted to educate anyone in the kitchen with me by showing them that when loaded properly, 25(!!) mugs will fit perfectly on the bottom rack, and way more glasses than that will fit on the top rack.

BTW, it's no one person's job to load and run the dishwasher, but I guess when you are quite well off, your "wifey" or daily housekeeper does it for you, rendering you incapable. These same folks lack the ability to look in the cabinet for a new roll of paper towels when they use the last one on the previous roll.

Mr. EB's office is similar. He has started texting me random pictures of his coworkers' various messiness. The best one may have been when someone took two bites of an apple, put the rest of the apple in a mug, and then put the mug in the refrigerator.

A friend of mine is the HR director and she gets calls/emails/office drop ins about anything and everything, as in "The light in the bathroom is out. Can you get that fixed?" My favorite is when people come to my office (which is the farthest from the copy machine/office supply room) and then tell me that they need staples or copy paper. You were obviously JUST IN THERE but instead of opening one of the cabinets to get it yourself, you walked to the opposite end of the office to tell me, in the hopes that I will open the copy machine or stapler and insert more for you?

• Love 2

Dishwasher loading - the anxiety that a misloaded dishwasher can cause is probably the cause of a lot of strokes.  My cousin was visiting once and when he went to load a dirty mug in the dishwasher, he looked in it carefully and then hugged me.  He was thrilled that I loaded the dishwasher "right".  His wife and daughter just randomly put things in with no particular order.  I knew his pain - my ex, who required a snap line to plant wild flowers and could effectively/efficiently load a big rig truck bed, loaded the dishwasher like a clown car.

Office coffee cups - when my Mom discovered the awful stains in my Dad's coffee cup he used at the office, she tried to get him to wash it daily (small office, no break room or dishwasher).  She eventually gave up and got him a brown coffee mug so the stains were not so noticeable.

4 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Mr. EB's office is similar. He has started texting me random pictures of his coworkers' various messiness. The best one may have been when someone took two bites of an apple, put the rest of the apple in a mug, and then put the mug in the refrigerator.

I wouldn't be able to resist making Lost or Found postings out of stuff like that.  Lost - One apple (description).  The owner believed to have teeth that have not been corrected by orthodontia due to apparent gap between the central incisors.

We used digital cameras early in my job.  I started to use my camera to take pictures of one guy's particularly egregious parking habits.  Most of the time I would doctor up the picture and send it to him highlighting the parking lines were there to assist.  Occasionally I would use public shaming by cc'ing several of our friends in the office or printing a Wanted Poster for Repeat Parking Lot Violations and post it in the break room.  He was also a variable speed driver  - randomly and for no apparent reason speeding up or slowing down while driving.

• Love 3

No dishwasher but our own hands where I work (and this always makes a major shadowside that lingers for days after office shindigs). However; this is as good a place as any to mention that not only was the dishwasher invented by a woman named Josephine Cochrane  in the 1880s but that one of her major spurs was having her dishes broken (and thus having to delay parties until she could get replacements by catalogue). Oh, Mrs. Cochrane herself didn't actually wash any but had servants to do it so no pet peeves on her part re having to wash dishes herself!

1 hour ago, DeLurker said:

Office coffee cups - when my Mom discovered the awful stains in my Dad's coffee cup he used at the office, she tried to get him to wash it daily (small office, no break room or dishwasher).  She eventually gave up and got him a brown coffee mug so the stains were not so noticeable.

I've used a variety of coffee mugs at work, usually black.  I rinse them out during the week, and bring them home when I'm on vacation for a good cleaning.  And yes, they would be brown inside by that point - that's when the flavor is best!

• Love 2
6 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

A friend of mine is the HR director and she gets calls/emails/office drop ins about anything and everything, as in "The light in the bathroom is out. Can you get that fixed?"

When I worked in HR (which was actually semi-fun, as it was for a record label, which back then were dedicated to being anti-corporate), my favorite complaint was from the employee who didn't like the brand of tampons in the dispenser in the women's restrooms.  First of all, wrong department; go see Administration.  But, I'm sorry, you have access to free tampons, and you're complaining about the brand?  Hey, I'm pretty loyal to "my" brand, too, but in the event I don't have any on me and find myself in need of a tampon?  I am just damn happy to have one right there. 

• Love 7
3 hours ago, DeLurker said:

loaded the dishwasher like a clown car.

DeLurker, that entire post was gold, from the hug for loading the dishwasher correctly, to just going with a brown mug, to the lost sign on the apple, to "variable speed driver", but this was my favorite part.

I'm going to use that line every time the opportunity presents itself for the rest of my life. It's the perfect analogy, my favorite way to make points in a snarky way.

As for leaving signs in public places, by the end of each college year in the fraternity house the time had come to figure out where some of your stuff ended up before you packed up for the summer. So guys would put up an index card or sheet of paper with "If anybody has seen my weight belt, please let me know", or "I lost my Aerosmith tee shirt" and hoped for the best that some other guy would be like, oh, that shirt has been in the corner of my room since February. Because I am a DeLurker level smart-ass, I pinned a small note card right in the middle of them all that said, "I lost my balance Saturday night at the beach party. If found, please return." and then signed it.  The younger guys always loved me for doing stupid shit like that.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

When I worked in HR (which was actually semi-fun, as it was for a record label, which back then were dedicated to being anti-corporate), my favorite complaint was from the employee who didn't like the brand of tampons in the dispenser in the women's restrooms.  First of all, wrong department; go see Administration.  But, I'm sorry, you have access to free tampons, and you're complaining about the brand?  Hey, I'm pretty loyal to "my" brand, too, but in the event I don't have any on me and find myself in need of a tampon?  I am just damn happy to have one right there. 

Omg that is just...... hilarious and ... other stuff. :-)

On Friday, March 17, 2017 at 5:56 PM, Petunia13 said:

It's really annoying when people start those conversations and then steamroll you even after you politely say you aren't a fan or follow Star Wars, Walking Dead, the Blackhawks, whatever and they keep gushing and saying why you should be so excited and shitting your pants also.

Once you know who's prone to that sort of behavior, you can cut the conversations off right at the beginning. As long as you don't care about offending the other person, that is:

"Hey, did you see the new Star Wars movie yet?"

"I used to like Star Wars. Then I grew up."

On Saturday, March 18, 2017 at 3:23 PM, bilgistic said:

Anyway, I hate people.

"I hate people" should be the title of this thread.

On Monday, March 20, 2017 at 8:21 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I will add to that complaint: when networks put those animated ads that take up the bottom 1/3 of the screen WHILE THERE ARE SUBTITLES.

I'll expand that to: Animated ads at the bottom of the screen that have an audio component. They invariably come on right when the characters on the screen are having a dramatic moment where they're talking in low voices. Suddenly everything is drowned out by "wacky" sound effects.

• Love 5

Pet peeve: Facebook showing me likes and comments my friends make on non mutual friends posts and people I don't follow. I usually scroll by but lately it's all sad animal stories, lost, abandoned, adopt or they'll be euthanized, abused pets. I literally cannot deal with it (become extremely distressed, crying images burned into my brain). It's bad enough when the local community pages I'm a part of share these and I've unfollowed people who constantly post it but these items aren't them sharing and beyond their control.

• Love 2