Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, Qoass said:

Crap by committee. 

Heh. That belongs on a tee shirt. I just need to figure out what the picture should be.  

My gym plays Sirius XM Road-trip Radio, which I don't mind at all. It's like every song I've vaguely liked at one point played in no particular order or pattern. Of course, I only hear it when I'm getting changed in the locker room or in between the songs blasting into my ears from what I've got playing on my phone, but it's not a bad choice.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, JTMacc99 said:

My gym plays Sirius XM Road-trip Radio, which I don't mind at all. It's like every song I've vaguely liked at one point played in no particular order or pattern.

I listen to that in the car sometimes, and that's a good description of it!

On 3/8/2017 at 7:35 PM, BooksRule said:

Why do most of the cans of cat food at the store look all battered and dented?  You don't see that in most of the other canned goods.  I know that the cans are probably okay as long as they aren't leaking or swollen, but I want to find good ones and have to dig through a bunch before I find them.  The cans always look like the employees dropped the whole case in the parking lot and then went bowling with the cans before they put them on the shelves. 

Ugh, I was at Petco yesterday (doing my bi-monthly $100 cat food order, yikes). Your post reminded me of a peeve I have. Why do I always have to open the 10-count packages of canned food?! They have them sealed and on the shelf behind the loose cans, but it seems like no one who works there ever swings by to see if all the loose ones need to be replenished. And it's that serious heavy-duty plastic film that you really have to jam your index finger into to open.

Jersey girls don't pump gas. 

We pump our fists!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 4
On 3/9/2017 at 5:00 PM, AuntieL said:

Yeah I'm old enough to remember when all service stations were full service. Every now and then some politician will mention overturning the ban. They only mention it once before they learn their lesson. Nothing unites NJ citizens more (although dislike of our current guv comes close). Jersey girls don't pump gas. 

I think I've pumped my own gas twice is my entire 17 years of driving, and I like it that way.  Everything in NJ is expensive (except ironically, the gas) so the least they could do is pump it for me so I don't have to get out when the weather sucks, figure out the pump, get gas on my hands, remember I forgot to unlock the stupid tank (really, why do gas tanks need locks? That's a whole separate peeve.), unlock the tank, and then finally pump gas.   

I'll just go to Wawa, fill up my tank, and be on my way after popping in for a coffee.  I don't mind waiting for the attendant.  Hell, one attendant at one of the Wawas near me used to give you your receipt on a fancy platter, and he was dressed up to boot.  It was pretty hilariously great.  

Don't get me started on governor douchebag.    

Edited by janestclair
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, janestclair said:

Everything in NJ is expensive (except ironically, the gas) so the least they could do is pump it for me

I grew up in New Jersey before moving north of the border 15 years ago. New York makes me appreciate the NJ costs of things with the exception of auto insurance. Not that New York has low rates, but NJ? Yikes.

9 minutes ago, janestclair said:

(really, why do gas tanks need locks? That's a whole separate peeve.)

So some obnoxious kid can't decide to pull a very expensive "prank" by pouring something in your tank.  Anyone who really wanted to get in could pry it open, obviously, but it eliminates the mischief risk.

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, Bastet said:

So some obnoxious kid can't decide to pull a very expensive "prank" by pouring something in your tank.  Anyone who really wanted to get in could pry it open, obviously, but it eliminates the mischief risk.

And - I go back to the gas crisis of the late '70s, when gas was rationed by your license plate number. You could only buy gas on odd-numbered days if your plate ended in an odd number, and on even-numbered days if your plated ended in an even number.  There was also a rule for vanity plates, but I don't recall what it was. Anyway, people were not above siphoning from someone else's gas tank if they were in need (or maybe just didn't like the other person).

• Love 6

We don't all actually have a WaWa. Where I am is mostly QuickChecks and 7-11s, sometimes next to each other! Though a couple towns from here has the best thing ever: a drive-through convenience store! I love it so much, especially because it looks like it belongs in Mayberry or something. Don't even think I haven't debated driving 20 minutes out of the way to it instead of the two-minutes-away QuickCheck just to avoid getting out of the car and waiting in the cashier line.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, harrie said:

And - I go back to the gas crisis of the late '70s, when gas was rationed by your license plate number. You could only buy gas on odd-numbered days if your plate ended in an odd number, and on even-numbered days if your plated ended in an even number.  There was also a rule for vanity plates, but I don't recall what it was. Anyway, people were not above siphoning from someone else's gas tank if they were in need (or maybe just didn't like the other person).

Yep, and that's the kind of situation where you'd still get a decent number of people determined enough to pry open a locked tank cover, so shit could still happen should gas become a crazy-hot commodity again.  It's the "Hey, wouldn't it be funny if I put X in the gas tank" punks too young to grasp the potentially serious consequences that are stymied by not having easy access.

And, jeez, remember how long the lines at the gas station were at that time?  One would think that with only, say, half the local driving population eligible for gas on a given day, things would work out, but it was chaos.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

We don't all actually have a WaWa. Where I am is mostly QuickChecks and 7-11s, sometimes next to each other! Though a couple towns from here has the best thing ever: a drive-through convenience store! I love it so much, especially because it looks like it belongs in Mayberry or something. Don't even think I haven't debated driving 20 minutes out of the way to it instead of the two-minutes-away QuickCheck just to avoid getting out of the car and waiting in the cashier line.

We have a drive thru convenience store in town and its the best. I don't understand why more stores don't offer that.     I also don't understand why more restaurants don't deliver. When i was a kid all of the Chinese food places and Kentucky Fried Chicken places delivered, now its just pizza.  If more places, especially fast food and sandwich places delivered they'd make so much money.  When L was on the road all the time I would have loved it if Subway or a place like that delivered.  I got sick of pizza after a while.   I'm in the boonies but still close enough to town that most places will deliver to me.  Plus, I'm a really good tipper.

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 3

The Ohio town I lived in for several years had a drive-through liquor store. As far as I could tell, it was mostly, if not totally, beer; you could pull up in your pick up truck and get kegs and cases loaded. 

When I moved to Connecticut I was disappointed at the blue laws for liquor--no wine or cider in grocery stores, no 24 hour liquor stores, no liquor store hours on Sunday. The last finally ended a few years ago but it still seems ridiculous to have to go to a liquor store just to buy a bottle of inexpensive but potable wine.

• Love 2

Drive through liquor stores. Seems reasonable. 

New Jersey is decent with the taxes and the fact you can buy the various things all in the same store. New York separates beer from wine and spirits. PA had dumb rules if I remember correctly. 

• Love 1

Yea. NC has some crazy laws on the books regarding alcohol. No alcohol sales before noon on Sundays. No liquor sales on Sunday. Beer and wine are sold in grocery stores only and liquor has its own store.

After enjoying some beautiful weather the last few weeks winter has decided to make a comeback. 5-8 inches of snow tonight with another system moving in Monday night. Today is my oldest boys first soccer game of the season. We will be out there in all our winter gear. Ugh!

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Maharincess said:

We have a drive thru convenience store in town and its the best. I don't understand why more stores don't offer that.     I also don't understand why more restaurants don't deliver. When i was a kid all of the Chinese food places and Kentucky Fried Chicken places delivered, now its just pizza.  If more places, especially fast food and sandwich places delivered they'd make so much money.  When L was on the road all the time I would have loved it if Subway or a place like that delivered.  I got sick of pizza after a while.   I'm in the boonies but still close enough to town that most places will deliver to me.  Plus, I'm a really good tipper.

We have a Chinese place that delivers beer. I have ordered food I didn't want just to have beer delivered.

• Love 6

Growing up in South Florida the MacArthur Dairy had drive thru spots where you could pick up a few essentials - their milk & ice cream (I have fond memories of the ice cream), cigarettes probably, and a few other thing.  My the time I was in high school, one had been sold and was operated as Romance's Drive Thru - as far as I can tell they made a good income selling beer and cheap wine (Boone's Farm when you felt klassy) to high school students.

• Love 3

Growing up in South Florida the MacArthur Dairy had drive thru spots where you could pick up a few essentials - their milk & ice cream (I have fond memories of the ice cream), cigarettes probably, and a few other thing

Yes, Farm Stores! Yes, their ice cream was great, as well as the eggnog. All are closed now,although someone did purchase the one in Hollywood and operates it as a regular drive through convenience store. Where was Romance's Drive-Thru? Don't think I've heard of it..... And the only drive-through liquor store I've seen in Broward County is in Hallandale....

My pet peeve about growing up in South FL is that their has been so much over development in the past few years, that its practically unrecognizable to how it looked just 10 years ago. Very few places from my childhood still exist.  When I went to take my brother to show his girlfriend where we grew up, all but a few places had been demolished and made way for something else, usually a high end store or new apartment complex.

Also, all these developers keep building these apartment complexes with high-end stores on the bottom floors. With stores going out of business all the time, I don't get the point. Any time I drive by these places, the restaurants are packed but the shopping outlets are empty.  The few people I see in these stores are older folks.  It will be interesting to see what happens to these kind of places as time goes on.......

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, AgentRXS said:

Yes, Farm Stores! Yes, their ice cream was great, as well as the eggnog. All are closed now,although someone did purchase the one in Hollywood and operates it as a regular drive through convenience store. Where was Romance's Drive-Thru? Don't think I've heard of it..... And the only drive-through liquor store I've seen in Broward County is in Hallandale....

My pet peeve about growing up in South FL is that their has been so much over development in the past few years, that its practically unrecognizable to how it looked just 10 years ago. Very few places from my childhood still exist.  When I went to take my brother to show his girlfriend where we grew up, all but a few places had been demolished and made way for something else, usually a high end store or new apartment complex.

Also, all these developers keep building these apartment complexes with high-end stores on the bottom floors. With stores going out of business all the time, I don't get the point. Any time I drive by these places, the restaurants are packed but the shopping outlets are empty.  The few people I see in these stores are older folks.  It will be interesting to see what happens to these kind of places as time goes on.......

Romance's was on Johnson Street in Pembroke Pines.  They didn't sell liquor - just beer & wine.

When I was growing up there, the Everglades pretty much started right past University Drive.  The only thing west of University was the Sportatorium where they held concerts.  It was about 20 miles west of University which literally marked the end of civilization.  It was inconceivable when they started to drain and fill west of University - seemed absolutely insane.  It was.

A favorite past time was me and my friends, all a bunch of drunk teenage girls, driving out west (past University) and seeing how long we could last before swamp sounds freaked us out (we stayed in the car).  I totally admit to suspecting a friend or two were serial killers during these outings.  And the answer to how long it takes to freak out a car full of drunk girls?  Not long.

But I share your peeve about over development and loss of recognizable places.  I have a hard time coming to terms with "progress".

Edited by DeLurker
Hmmm..was Romance's on Johnson or Taft Street?
  • Love 1

When I was growing up there, the Everglades pretty much started right past University Drive.  The only thing west of University was the Sportatorium where they held concerts.  It was about 20 miles west of University which literally marked the end of civilization.  It was inconceivable when they started to drain and fill west of University - seemed absolutely insane.  It was.

Yes and now its built out all the way to US 27 LOL. There used to be patches of land/trees past Dykes Rd (160th) but in the past year or 2 all that's gone. To make this about a peeve.....I already hate Wawa and they aren't even here yet. I hate them because they are responsible for buying some of the last few green spaces/parcels of land where trees still stand in the county. Yes, I know the land was for sale and anyone was available to buy it, but since Wawa seems to be the main culprit, I'm blaming them and already plan on boycotting their stores. We already have thousands of gas stations here, not sure why they seem to be swooping down all of a sudden. But they are annoying me and their name is stupid. So there LOL.

• Love 1

You get used to the wind, @stewedsquash. We laugh at states where they think gusts of up to 20 or 30 mph is a lot of wind. My husband was at a conference where they warned about that, and the Oklahomans and Kansans said, "We just call that Tuesday."

We don't eat outside much, though. It's too hot, too cold, too windy or too rainy. We have about two days a year suitable for outside dining at restaurants. And you have to plan your picnic food carefully.

I could do with a lot less wind lately. We have drought and lots of big fires.

If I could only get pizza delivered, I'd be cranky.  I cook probably 90% of the time, but I also love being able to just pick up the phone and have someone bring food to me.  One of the things I most appreciate about my neighborhood and its surrounding ones is how many good independent little restaurants there are, and most of them deliver -- I can get Chinese, Thai, Italian, Mexican, Indian, Vietnamese, Japanese, etc.  (I'm particularly excited about having a Mexican restaurant that delivers, because that has never happened to me before -- and it is delicious, authentic Mexican food [I like American Mexican food, too - just not Tex Mex - but I love the real thing].)  There are a couple of sandwich places that deliver, which is nice for when I don't really have anything in the house to make for lunch, but don't want to stop working - or get into real clothes - to go grab something.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, janestclair said:

I'll just go to Wawa, fill up my tank, and be on my way after popping in for a coffee.  I don't mind waiting for the attendant.  Hell, one attendant at one of the Wawas near me used to give you your receipt on a fancy platter, and he was dressed up to boot.  It was pretty hilariously great.  

Don't get me started on governor douchebag.    

As someone who grew up and still lives in South Jersey, This may be the most South Jersey statement  ever ?. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, stewedsquash said:

I even tweaked someone  Thursday about enjoying 74 degree weather on my chaise, while reading and sipping some tea while the pups were running in and out of the woods.

I'm sure the tea was delicious while it lasted. 

Here north and west of NYC, the small snowstorm yesterday and bitter cold this weekend are just a warm up for what's shaping up to be a solid March blizzard on Tuesday; 8-12 inches seem to be the outlook. 

Normally I'd be less than thrilled, but I have Monday off to go get some dental work done and Wednesday off because the kids have a day off for teachers professional development day. 

So it is shaping up to be a five day weekend!  

• Love 1
50 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

I'm sure the tea was delicious while it lasted. 

Here north and west of NYC, the small snowstorm yesterday and bitter cold this weekend are just a warm up for what's shaping up to be a solid March blizzard on Tuesday; 8-12 inches seem to be the outlook. 

Normally I'd be less than thrilled, but I have Monday off to go get some dental work done and Wednesday off because the kids have a day off for teachers professional development day. 

So it is shaping up to be a five day weekend!  

And just two days ago, I was struggling to get my not-needed coat off while driving with my windows down!

• Love 2

I've used Grubhub from time to time, and Ubereats is also now available. Generally, I call the restaurant directly, though, if they have their own delivery because it's faster. The pizza place around the corner greets me by name on the phone and they know how to find the house without me having to go into lengthy directions every time. On the other hand, Grubhub and Ubereats provide delivery for a lot of places that don't do it themselves so that's nice. Mexican is not usually a good choice because by the time the order arrives, things get a little cold and soggy.

The wayward wind, is a restless wind...A few months after I moved to CT from OH, a hurricane skirted the shoreline. I was all excited because hurricanes are not exactly common in WNY or Ohio. What a letdown. I remember talking to my mother on the phone and saying "well, it's windy, but no windier than an average day in Bowling Green."

1 hour ago, stewedsquash said:

Okay you two! Every time someone posts about food places I start googling. I was already planning a mid life crisis road trip to OK for an Oklahoma burger and now I am going to make a side trip to Lucy's Fried Chicken because...Deep Fried Deviled Eggs???? Lucy's Frito Misto???  I googled Maria's and in the process went to Lucy's Fried Chicken. AuntLada can give me pointers on finding the best OK burger and ForumFish can lead me to Lucy's.

Seriously, deep fried deviled eggs! This is the second time I have seen a deep fried egg item so it must mean I need to eat them.

Depends on what you want. The fried onion burgers at Sid's, Robert's and Johnnie's in El Reno and J&W Grill in Chickasha are all really good. All the restaurants came out of one of the ones in El Reno, but I can't remember which one. Share the fries everywhere.

The Meers Country Store in Meers is also good. They raise their own longhorn cattle. You can get a burger the size of a pie plate. You can get them smaller also, but if there's more than one of you, get the big burger.

Andy Warhol quote, "In the future, everyone will be world-famous for 15 minutes."

First of all, no they won't.  An obtuse quote to begin with, has now morphed into "seeking their 15 minutes of fame."  

It is often used to criticize reality 'stars' for using SM to seek those 15 minutes.  They have all had 15 minutes, and then some, if you want to get technical. 

I am sick of hearing this, it means nothing. 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, ABay said:

When you catch a typo in your own post from 2 months ago and want to fix it but worry it looks even worse to go back 2 months to fix a typo.

I've left a trail of "to" when it should have been "too" and "an" when it should have been "and" all day over this place. If it's more than two weeks old when I see it, I make peace  with it. 

• Love 6
6 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

I've left a trail of "to" when it should have been "too" and "an" when it should have been "and" all day over this place. If it's more than two weeks old when I see it, I make peace  with it. 

Well, we have to on this site - the edit function is only available for a week.  Which has been source of some consternation, but I have managed to refrain from PMing a moderator to ask, "Can you completely waste a minute of your day to pull up this old post and fix my typo?"  Thus far, anyway.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 7

Mosquitoes. 

Our weather has been all over the place - in the past 4 days I have run the a/c, run the heat and opened the windows.  There are already mosquitoes and the temps have not really dropped long enough to kill them off.

• Love 1

I hate heavy wet snow. We got about 8 inches but the bottom 3 were completely waterlogged. That meant that the snowblower was completely ineffective so we had to shovel it. However, our neighbor's newish boyfriend had a little snowblower and helped us out, which was really nice. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, MargeGunderson said:

I hate heavy wet snow. We got about 8 inches but the bottom 3 were completely waterlogged. That meant that the snowblower was completely ineffective so we had to shovel it. However, our neighbor's newish boyfriend had a little snowblower and helped us out, which was really nice. 

We got close to two feet, it's a little heavy but not terrible. The end of the driveway isn't great. My new snowblower rips through everything, wet or not, so I've got that going for me.

I wish I could use it on my front walk, but the way it steps up means I'll be shoveling that part. 

11 hours ago, DeLurker said:

Mosquitoes. 

Our weather has been all over the place - in the past 4 days I have run the a/c, run the heat and opened the windows.  There are already mosquitoes and the temps have not really dropped long enough to kill them off.

Jeez, don't get me started. The mosquitoes where I live now are some sort of evil mutants that leave welts on me which are over an inch across. Very different from the ones that I grew up with.

• Love 3

I've never gotten poison ivy either and I've been exposed to it a lot. The people I'm with get it but I never have. My poor son just has to look at the plant and he starts breaking out in sores.  He gets it so bad. 

On 3/14/2017 at 4:38 AM, ABay said:

When you catch a typo in your own post from 2 months ago and want to fix it but worry it looks even worse to go back 2 months to fix a typo.

Sometimes I will catch a typo that's YEARS old thanks to that Facebook memories feature and then I'm torn. I know it's unlikely that anyone is looking at my posts from X number of years ago so it's totally unnecessary but it's RIGHT THERE and I can see it!

• Love 2
On 3/3/2017 at 3:49 PM, StatisticalOutlier said:

I think milk may be the only product I really pay attention to the sell-by date on.  If it's past the date, I'll smell it and if it's even remotely weird, I toss it.  I hate spoiled milk.

And a lot of times, I have been unlucky enough to have milk go bad even before the sell-by date!

23 minutes ago, bmasters9 said:

And a lot of times, I have been unlucky enough to have milk go bad even before the sell-by date!

I've had that happen quite a few times with milk in the past few months. I also hate when bread starts to dry out and taste stale days before the sell-by date too.

This peeve is out in full force today - answering a yes/no question with a long explanation that doesn't actually ever answer the question

Do you work in Congress?

• Love 7

When a cashier or server at a counter place stands there while a customer talks on the phone with rapt attention while others ready to purchase wait. 

Tell the person "I'm going to help this person let me know when you're ready" it's rude as fuck of the phone person and rude/stupid as fuck of the cashier to ignore the ready people while jackass blabs about his potential order! 

And the person who did this was a coworker and then took forever to get herself sorted and then help me. It should not take 10 minutes to ask for a slice of cold pizza in a case. 

• Love 6
29 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

When a cashier or server at a counter place stands there while a customer talks on the phone with rapt attention while others ready to purchase wait. 

Tell the person "I'm going to help this person let me know when you're ready" it's rude as fuck of the phone person and rude/stupid as fuck of the cashier to ignore the ready people while jackass blabs about his potential order! 

And the person who did this was a coworker and then took forever to get herself sorted and then help me. It should not take 10 minutes to ask for a slice of cold pizza in a case. 

Agreed ! This makes me crazy. I used to own a restaurant (Arabic food, fast food-ish with tables and a garden outdoor seating) When someone was on the phone like that I'd just say to the person behind him or her, "What would you like?" And ask the phone person to step aside so others who are ready and not on the phone, can order.  They'd get mad and demand to speak to the manager. I said, "I'm the owner. You were on the phone and holding up a line that is out the door. " NEXT? 

• Love 8

Thank you! I guess your thinking and mine are too sensible and considerate lol! 

And when I said co-worker I mean I work in a large grocery store with cafes and bars inside of it. I notice a lot of bad customer service. Oh and to top it off after the  struggle to even get the cold slice handed to me (so I can walk it to register) she held onto it and said "are you sure you don't want me to slice it into pieces?" 

I said no I think I'm ready to go now. In what fucking universe is it assumed if I buy a pre sliced triangle of pizza I require the staff to cut it for me? Do I look 4? And I would like to leave for that counter at some pt that afternoon to go on with my life- so no don't chop or prechew it for me. 

During all this (I was waiting a while) one of the demo women who hands out samples ran over to say she heard I'm sick. I smiled asked her my name. She blinked hard and paused. Then said oh you look just like one of our computer girls. I asked what a computer girl was. She rattled off some inane stuff about typing clicky clack and shuffling and hanging papers and tags. I said no I'm a sales manager that's my title and I'm confused how you could be discussing my health with people when you don't know my name or department. She got red and said excuse me for caring then ran to deli and their back room to further gossip me instead of handing out tater tots. 

• Love 3