Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

I'm in my 40s and I haven't found it all that difficult to find clothing that looked good on me.  Maybe it's just my size or my interests.  I've recently become obsessed with Pact's dresses.  Otherwise, I live in the Mom Uniform of a long t-shirt and leggings.  I also like leggings from Miik (a Toronto brand - their sizing can be generous, by the way) and Vancouver's Daub and Design.  Both ship to the US.  

• Useful 3

Sometime last year I made fun of The Olive Garden in my posts.  While I'm still not a fan of the restaurant I take that post back a bit.

Those that are pretentious about where they eat can drive me a little nuts.  

• Like 5
9 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

That’s a good friend you have.  Comebacks have never really been my strength 

8 hours ago, KittyMom4 said:

@BlueSkies same, I always think of a good comeback the next day. Especially when at the moment I'm usually dumbstruck by the person's comment.

Add me to the list of those who lack good skills at comebacks in the moment. I usually think of good ones while I'm trying to go to sleep.

• Like 7
  • LOL 1

My ongoing pet peeve is Photobucket. I had a few accounts there back in the day. I keep getting those stupid emails saying my account is going to be deactivated, deleted and  I'll lose access to the things I uploaded. The problem is when people go there to try to get access to their accounts they get paywalled with them wanting a subscription fee. I've lived without the photos I had stored there for a long time so if they do get deleted it's stuff I can't remember.

I know at one point quite a few years ago they had to let people have access to download their stuff without being charged. There's a clumsy set up way to try to delete an account which then leads to a 7 day trial offer which they require cc info to start. I've read where people did that and instead of their credit cards being charged $1 they charge $5.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 3
10 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

Sometime last year I made fun of The Olive Garden in my posts.  While I'm still not a fan of the restaurant I take that post back a bit.

Those that are pretentious about where they eat can drive me a little nuts.  

I’m not at all pretentious about where I eat but I stand by my post that Olive Garden is garbage.  I have no problem with places like Cheesecake Factory, Outback Steakhouse or Applebees.  I just hate Olive Garden.  

• Like 5
22 hours ago, KittyMom4 said:

I've noticed that clothing is either for 15-30 year olds or 60-80 year olds. The in between ages seem to be forgotten. Jeans, shorts, shirts, dresses, they are either too "sexy" or too "dowdy". I have to hunt for something that covers my butt and my belly while not looking like a frump. Frustrating.

I have been feeling this way for decades.  Although I am 65 I still feel that clothes aimed at women my age are dowdy.  Trying to find the happy medium is often a challenge especially for someone short like me.   In some stores they carry a lot of petites in the "Alfred Dunner" brand which look to me like clothes a 90 year old might wear, although I can't imagine myself ever being 90 and wanting to wear them.  Obviously someone is buying those clothes but no one I know in my age bracket is wearing them.  If 65 year olds think the clothes are dowdy, wow, that's saying something!

That said, I sometimes have luck at LOFT but it's hit or miss.  Sometimes Marshall's looks promising but they don't carry many petites and it's a little too hit or miss for me.  I can sometimes get away with regular sizes but it requires trying on a whole lot of stuff and I don't have as much patience for that as I used to.  And energy!

Another strategy for this is to stick to basics and find ways to put them together that look younger and fresh.  Find one or two pieces that update the look to resemble what younger people are wearing without looking like you're trying to look too young.  I've been tucking T shirts into wide leg pants and jeans and finding jackets that look like something a younger person might wear.  Also, some prints can scream dowdy while others look young.  Look at the prints they're selling in the young women's department and go for stuff in the regular women's clothing that looks like that in a version that covers your stomach, LOL.  I've been doing that even with other clothes like jackets.  If it's a style or a trend they're selling to younger women if I think I can pull it off without looking like I'm trying too hard to look younger, I'll go for it.

• Applause 3
3 hours ago, partofme said:

I’m not at all pretentious about where I eat but I stand by my post that Olive Garden is garbage.  I have no problem with places like Cheesecake Factory, Outback Steakhouse or Applebees.  I just hate Olive Garden.  

Interesting.  I feel that way about Applebee's but not Olive Garden and that's despite being an Italian American from a family of foodies and cooks, LOL.  I ate at an Applebee's once and that was enough.  Sub standard food smothered in sugary/salty goo.  And I'm not a food snob either, despite having experienced a lot of high end gourmet food in my life.  My mother was the same way.  She could eat at HoJo's or IHOP one day and a fine Michelin star restaurant in Manhattan the next.

I like the Outback when we just want some medium priced food that is pretty good, or when they're having a special on their steak and lobster tail entree.  The quality of their meat and other ingredients is above Applebee's and they at least prepare the food better in my opinion.  And given how similar the two are I think Outback is the clear winner in general so I have zero reasons to go to Applebee's.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I’m fine with going out to eat, but my major complaint at most places add too much salt. Sometimes they substitute flavor by using too much of it. It burns my tongue and then I can’t taste any subtle flavors. 

• Like 7
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

I’m fine with going out to eat, but my major complaint at most places add too much salt. Sometimes they substitute flavor by using too much of it. It burns my tongue and then I can’t taste any subtle flavors. 

Yes!  Speaking of pet peeves, that's one of mine.  I often say that they cover their lack of flavor and cooking talent with too much salt and sugar.  And given that I need to watch my sodium intake it's an even bigger issue for me.

At my local Shop Rite they have a cucumber salad at their deli section that's sweeter than most desserts!  And I like my cucumber salad sweet too!  I usually make my own but I sweeten it with stevia.  Lately the extremes of salt and sugar are getting even more extreme.  When I went down to Florida last Fall I couldn't get over how overly salty everything was in restaurants compared to the Northeast.  Even the food at a decent airport restaurant in Charlotte, NC was packed with sodium.  And all I had was shrimp and grits!

• Sad 2
  • Useful 1
15 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

Yes!  Speaking of pet peeves, that's one of mine.  I often say that they cover their lack of flavor and cooking talent with too much salt and sugar.  And given that I need to watch my sodium intake it's an even bigger issue for me.

At my local Shop Rite they have a cucumber salad at their deli section that's sweeter than most desserts!  And I like my cucumber salad sweet too!  I usually make my own but I sweeten it with stevia.  Lately the extremes of salt and sugar are getting even more extreme.  When I went down to Florida last Fall I couldn't get over how overly salty everything was in restaurants compared to the Northeast.  Even the food at a decent airport restaurant in Charlotte, NC was packed with sodium.  And all I had was shrimp and grits!

AFAIK there is only one decent recent restaurant in the Charlotte airport, and one simply does not look at the nutritional information at a Bojangles.  You get your Supreme dinner with fries, a biscuit, and your dipping sauce of choice and go on your merry little way to enjoy either at your gate or in those rocking chairs by Terminal E.  If you really must mind your sodium or calories, then don't eat the fries they really are not all that good anyway.  The dirty rice, mashed potatoes and gravy, Cajun pintos, and mac and cheese are all better than their fries, but they are not always the best option at an airport.  

• Like 5

Power outages. The power has gone off three times in less than 24 hours. And all after the storms have passed. I'm refusing to reset the clocks again until it's been on for at least 12 hours straight. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3
7 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

AFAIK there is only one decent recent restaurant in the Charlotte airport, and one simply does not look at the nutritional information at a Bojangles.  You get your Supreme dinner with fries, a biscuit, and your dipping sauce of choice and go on your merry little way to enjoy either at your gate or in those rocking chairs by Terminal E.  If you really must mind your sodium or calories, then don't eat the fries they really are not all that good anyway.  The dirty rice, mashed potatoes and gravy, Cajun pintos, and mac and cheese are all better than their fries, but they are not always the best option at an airport.  

I think we went to that only decent restaurant if it's the one recommended on Yelp and local newspapers as the only decent one, LOL.  I forget the name now.  I remember the rocking chairs, LOL, that's where I sat to research the best restaurant at the airport.  Don't get me wrong, the food was good, it was just by my standards a total sodium bomb. 

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

I think we went to that only decent restaurant if it's the one recommended on Yelp and local newspapers as the only decent one, LOL.  I forget the name now.  I remember the rocking chairs, LOL, that's where I sat to research the best restaurant at the airport.  Don't get me wrong, the food was good, it was just by my standards a total sodium bomb. 

I was joking there a bit.  In NC, we have two fast food chains where even the worst location of the chain will still result in a decent meal--Bojangles and Cook Out.  I am an adventurous eater within reason and airports are the one place where I am going to with fast food every time.  I know the Charlotte Douglas Bojangles is more expensive than my local one and that it will not be as good as them, but there is little chance the food will be inedible or give me food poisoning.  Of course, whenever I fly into Charlotte I rarely have a long enough layover to truly contemplate my food choices.  And I will always have to go through Terminal E. 

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Of course, whenever I fly into Charlotte I rarely have a long enough layover to truly contemplate my food choices.  And I will always have to go through Terminal E. 

I’ve done that hike dozens of time. It’s hard when you land on B or C gate 2-something and then have a half hour to cover the ground to the end of E. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Mindthinkr said:

I’ve done that hike dozens of time. It’s hard when you land on B or C gate 2-something and then have a half hour to cover the ground to the end of E. 

And every single time I have to dodge the idiots who stop in the middle of the walkway to check their phone or chat.  I don't know what it is about airports, but as soon as people walk through those doors they lose all common sense.  And don't get me started on trying to run to the bathroom in that 30 minutes especially during the holidays.  I do not understand why it always falls to the moms to take their sons to the bathroom when dad is right there.  There will be a line out the door to the ladies room while the men can just waltz right on in.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

Talbot's and J Jill used to have clothes most women could wear. The clothes were great basics (classics) that you could change with various accessories (I'm thinking of clothes one could wear to work, social occasions, etc). The past few years? I've found the clothes kind of dowdy or overly fussy. I need to have a couple dresses on hand for special occasions but may have to settle for black ankle pants (or cropped), with a shell and jacket. 

My husband is a Traveler's Aid volunteer at Dulles and today he said he was surprised to see the clothes that young women, getting off planes, were wearing. He said they wore extremely short shorts. I said, "Oh...you mean bootie shorts". He had no idea what I was talking about 😆

• LOL 7
21 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

"Oh...you mean bootie shorts".

Nice bum, where're you from? 

Why would one want to sit on a vinyl seat (or any public transport seat) wearing that?  Same goes for micro-mini skirts - what it separating your ass cheeks from the chair when you sit? 

• Like 8
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, partofme said:

I'm not pretentious about where I eat (I love to eat at local diners, especially when I'm traveling - I call them "Aunt Hilda's" after my favorite aunt, who was a basic but good cook) but I think Olive Garden, Cheesecake Factory, Outback Steakhouse and Applebees all serve overly processed bland carb filled food of no consequence that is a waste of my very hard earned money. If I'm going to eat out these days, its going to be something I can't or won't make at home easily and none of those restaurants serve anything in that category. Peeve: People that under-tip when they got good service! Come on, folks...those wait persons don't deserve to be "nickle and dimed"!

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
(edited)
16 hours ago, isalicat said:

Peeve: People that under-tip when they got good service! Come on, folks...those wait persons don't deserve to be "nickle and dimed"!

That is so true especially about young waitresses.  My oldest Grandaughter is a Teacher by day, and a waitress in a local country club on the weekends.  In three years, she already paid off her car and now is working on paying off the student loan.  I give her lots of credit.   P.s.  Olive Garden never gives enough sauce.  Always a little on top .. that’s it.  You always have to ask for more.  Same thing, every time.  It’s ok for something different.  We love the salad tho.

Edited by kristen111
  • Like 5

I liked Lady Gaga’s 1st couple albums and still follow her.  She said something I thought was dumb recently that she admitted to performing some shows Covid positive.  

It’s caused some extreme reactions in people as can be imagined.

From my perspective it sucks when you listen to someone’s songs or albums or what not and now can’t not think of well the stuff mentioned.  Especially with how social media is.  

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 2
4 hours ago, ethalfrida said:

A.I. and all the grammar errors, misspellings and mispronunciations. 

The latest free version of ChatGPT knows who I am, but neglects to mention my book.  

10 hours ago, PRgal said:

The latest free version of ChatGPT knows who I am, but neglects to mention my book.  

Meant to say I got your book from Amazon a couple of days ago.  It's such a sweet story, and the illustrations complement it so well.  I think you said you will be writing more books about these people.  I look forward to seeing. 

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/3/2024 at 5:46 PM, EtheltoTillie said:

This is a modern version of another sixties novelty uh-oh song--not the one I was earlier referencing.  Still must dig that one up. 

That was exactly what was going through my head when the uh-oh song was mentioned!!

Yikes I didn't realize I was so far behind!!  Going back now to catch up!

Edited by Gramto6
added on to post
  • LOL 1
(edited)

fitbit.  I got one a few days ago (on my doctor's reluctant recommendation) because I need to monitor my blood pressure - I know fitbit isn't as accurate as medical equipment, but it should be enough to follow my BP if it fluctuates too widely.

My main peeve so far is the impossibility of finding what the little symbols mean.  I've searched high and low, on their site, on non-affiliated sites.  Nothing.  Just other people with the same complaint.  Would it be so difficult to just provide a list on their site?

Mind you, I have found their results in a couple of things to be so wildly inaccurate that I don't really have much faith in the thing as a whole.  For example, it gets my steps wildly wrong.  Not that I actually care, but a lot of people do.

Oh, and it was hard even to find the app to set the damn thing up in the first place.

Lots of other things, and at this point I'm thinking of just returning it.

Edited by Ancaster
  • Angry 1
  • Useful 5
(edited)
On 5/5/2024 at 9:16 AM, peacheslatour said:

I remember a PSA from the seventies. A woman doctor was trying to get a credit card and surprise her husband with a fabulous trip for his birthday. The banker said "I'm sorry, it's just not possible to do that for people like you." The doctor, shocked, asked "Is it because I'm black?" and the banker said "No, you're a woman." It was really strange to me. I had no idea.

Again sorry I am posting to an old post, still catching up.

I had a very similar experience in the mid 70's. I was selling on ebay while raising my kids. In the old days of eBay, I did fairly well with home made doll clothes. Now I am not a dr or anything like the example above, but I wanted to buy a new sewing machine. Being somewhat foresighted, I was also trying to get credit established in my own name. The sewing machine was something like $250 or around that. My hubby could have paid for it no problem but I wanted to get credit and make payments from my own earnings. To begin my credit history. I was told flat out that a married. woman I could not get credit/take on a payment agreement without husband's signature. Just have my husband come down and take care of it.  How patronizing!!  Very frustrating and to get the machine I had to do that.

In the early 80's when I had a full time job outside the home I was eventually able to get my own credit.  Now I was ready to dump hubby! ;) 

Edited by Gramto6
added on to post
  • Like 1
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Sad 3

My mother, divorced bread earner, owner of our house, couldn't get a loan to fix the sewer line to the house without a man's signature. The husband of a friend came through. Utter bullshit and still makes me furious. I wish more women today were aware of what it was like before the feminist movement. 

• Like 14
  • Sad 2
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 3
7 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

I had a very similar experience in the mid 70's. I was selling on ebay while raising my kids. In the old days of eBay, I did fairly well with home made doll clothes. Now I am not a dr or anything like the example above, but I wanted to buy a new sewing machine. Being somewhat foresighted, I was also trying to get credit established in my own name. The sewing machine was something like $250 or around that. My hubby could have paid for it no problem but I wanted to get credit and make payments from my own earnings. To begin my credit history. I was told flat out that a married. woman I could not get credit/take on a payment agreement without husband's signature. Just have my husband come down and take care of it.  How patronizing!!  Very frustrating and to get the machine I had to do that.

In the early 80's when I had a full time job outside the home I was eventually able to get my own credit.  Now I was ready to dump hubby! ;) 

Gram, did you mean to say eBay?  Because it didn't exist in the '70s before the internet.  It was founded in 1995.

i saw my mother go through this all the time when I was a teenager in the '70s.  She was an independent, working woman who supported equal rights for women.  It was very frustrating and insulting for her to have to go through this.  My father was supportive of her, BTW.  We had a little celebration the day she got her first credit card in her name without my father's signature.  I remember thinking how outdated that requirement was even at the time and I was happy that I was going to have those rights when I became an adult.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
(edited)

@Yeah No Oh dear, you're right!  The ole brain ain't what it used to be! I was selling Sarah Coventry Jewelry. The home parties and recruiting new members, etc..  (An MLM before I knew what they were.)  I had worked my way up to Branch Manager and one of the top sellers in my area. 

I was making doll/stuffed animal clothes for my kids when I wanted the new sewing machine, not related at the time to selling them, I was selling Sarah Coventry at the time.

I was selling on eBay from something like 2002 to 2011 as a full time job to support myself after my 2nd husband passed away.  I started slowly to get the feel of things selling Barbie clothes and then picked a focus of rocks/minerals/crystals for collectors and healers.

Edited by Gramto6
typo
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
50 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

@Yeah No Oh dear, you're right!  The ole brain ain't what it used to be! I was selling Sarah Coventry Jewelry. The home parties and recruiting new members, etc..  (An MLM before I knew what they were.)  I had worked my way up to Branch Manager and one of the top sellers in my area. 

I was making doll/stuffed animal clothes for my kids when I wanted the new sewing machine, not related at the time to selling them, I was selling Sarah Coventry at the time.

I was selling on eBay from something like 2002 to 2011 as a full time job to support myself after my 2nd husband passed away.  I started slowly to get the feel of things selling Barbie clothes and then picked a focus of rocks/minerals/crystals for collectors and healers.

So sorry to hear about your husband passing.  Did two pass?  Oh my.  Many ((hugs)).

Ever since I stopped working full time I've been selling on Ebay although it's nowhere near a full time thing for me.  I get rid of clothes I either don't fit or don't want anymore.  Sometimes household and health and beauty items too.  Many I just donate to charity but the ones I think I can sell for decent money I put up on Ebay.  I started by selling off my mother's stash of vintage Eberhard Faber Blackwing 602 pencils.  Wow, what a ride that was, they were so in demand I was getting offers from everywhere.  And at $40+ each they were certainly worth selling! I needed a break from all the offers so I stopped selling those and started on the clothes.  I still have a few more pencils but keep them around for when I'm in the mood to deal with it again.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

So sorry to hear about your husband passing.  Did two pass?  Oh my.  Many ((hugs)).

Ever since I stopped working full time I've been selling on Ebay although it's nowhere near a full time thing for me.  I get rid of clothes I either don't fit or don't want anymore.  Sometimes household and health and beauty items too.  Many I just donate to charity but the ones I think I can sell for decent money I put up on Ebay.  I started by selling off my mother's stash of vintage Eberhard Faber Blackwing 602 pencils.  Wow, what a ride that was, they were so in demand I was getting offers from everywhere.  And at $40+ each they were certainly worth selling! I needed a break from all the offers so I stopped selling those and started on the clothes.  I still have a few more pencils but keep them around for when I'm in the mood to deal with it again.

No, I divorced the first, the second one is the one that passed. 

I made good money on eBay when I finally settled on the crystals. Crystal healing was a big thing then and I did have a lot of specimens worthy of collections too.  I was making somewhere in the vicinity of $55,000 to $60,000 a year. Not that much, but given I had moved from CA to MT my home equity was such I could buy my home here outright, my car was already paid for and I had fantastic health ins. from my late husband's retirement plan. So I didn't have many expenses.

eBay was hard work as anyone that did it full time for support knows, but I enjoyed those years. I think one of the reasons I stopped selling was eBay started getting fussy about saying things about the "healing qualities" of stones. Not a medical person, so can't give advice, yada, yada, yada.  Anyway it became less fun and more oppressive. By then I was able to go on SS as a surviving spouse so I did that.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
6 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

I made good money on eBay when I finally settled on the crystals. Crystal healing was a big thing then and I did have a lot of specimens worthy of collections too.  I was making somewhere in the vicinity of $55,000 to $60,000 a year. Not that much, but given I had moved from CA to MT my home equity was such I could buy my home here outright, my car was already paid for and I had fantastic health ins. from my late husband's retirement plan. So I didn't have many expenses.

eBay was hard work as anyone that did it full time for support knows, but I enjoyed those years. I think one of the reasons I stopped selling was eBay started getting fussy about saying things about the "healing qualities" of stones. Not a medical person, so can't give advice, yada, yada, yada.  Anyway it became less fun and more oppressive. By then I was able to go on SS as a surviving spouse so I did that.

I hear you.  Plus Ebay isn't what it used to be for sellers.  There are more fees and gimmicks now to get more of your profits.  Forget selling anything unless you pay extra for "promotion".  I make only about $5,000 a year but like I say I don't put that much into it.  What you made was amazing!  But like you say, it involves a LOT of work, probably more than a desk job making that money.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
8 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

I'm glad you made such a great living on eBay, really, but at the same time I can't help but be on the side of those cracking down on using words like "healing" without scientific backup.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

I can appreciate your stance @Ancaster and I won't say I disagree.  I am not a crystal healer and have never been one. I am though, a rock/stone/crystal lover. I presented most of my listings from that perspective, showcasing the beauty of the stone itself.   At the time there was a huge niche market for crystals for healers. At the end of my listings I would note things like "it is believed by some this stone may help xxxx" or "XXX" (a certain well known "crystal healer") says "xxxx" about this stone. So if a "healer" were to search this particular property/stone my store would come up in the search.

Everyone has their own beliefs re the healing properties of stones. I didn't recommend/diagnose anyone. It is their choice to choose what form help they want, be it alternative or medical. I feel no guilt for mentioning these qualities because no matter what, in the end, they got a stone worth what they paid, just for the quality/beauty/rarity of the stone.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
40 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

I can appreciate your stance @Ancaster and I won't say I disagree.  I am not a crystal healer and have never been one. I am though, a rock/stone/crystal lover. I presented most of my listings from that perspective, showcasing the beauty of the stone itself.   At the time there was a huge niche market for crystals for healers. At the end of my listings I would note things like "it is believed by some this stone may help xxxx" or "XXX" (a certain well known "crystal healer") says "xxxx" about this stone. So if a "healer" were to search this particular property/stone my store would come up in the search.

Everyone has their own beliefs re the healing properties of stones. I didn't recommend/diagnose anyone. It is their choice to choose what form help they want, be it alternative or medical. I feel no guilt for mentioning these qualities because no matter what, in the end, they got a stone worth what they paid, just for the quality/beauty/rarity of the stone.

This is exactly the kind of approach I would hope/look for.  I think we're on the same page @Gramto6.

(My most precious pieces of jewelry are a ring and a necklace that incorporate a semi-precious stone found in only a couple of places, literally, in the world, one of them where I grew up.  I definitely feel a strength wearing these pieces, whatever the source.)

ETA:  Even though the stone is not common, it's not particularly valuable, except to me.

Edited by Ancaster
  • Like 3
  • Love 2

In the My Three Sons thread I just mentioned how expensive, and difficult, it is now to buy DVDs of this show.  I feel like Rip Van Winkle here I took a very long nap I guess as it feels like one minute you could easily purchase DVDs for almost any show or movie you wanted, and then, poof, they were gone.  

I am peeved.

• Like 6

If you don't have to actually own the episodes, you can find a ton of them to watch on YouTube, @Dimity. I'm not sure if the download option exists, but at least you can visit the old days.

• Useful 3
(edited)
7 hours ago, Dimity said:

I feel like Rip Van Winkle here I took a very long nap I guess as it feels like one minute you could easily purchase DVDs for almost any show or movie you wanted, and then, poof, they were gone.  

I am peeved.

I have the same peeve.  I never bought any seasons of Grace and Frankie on DVD as the show went along, figuring I'd wait and see if they released a boxed set of the entire series once it ended.  They didn't do that, which was disappointing, as such things generally have oodles of special features, but okay, I'll just get all the seasons individually.  Except they never released the final season on DVD!  Seasons one through six, yes, but not season seven.  WTactualF? 

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 3
  • Mind Blown 1
3 hours ago, Dimity said:

In the My Three Sons thread I just mentioned how expensive, and difficult, it is now to buy DVDs of this show.  I feel like Rip Van Winkle here I took a very long nap I guess as it feels like one minute you could easily purchase DVDs for almost any show or movie you wanted, and then, poof, they were gone.  

I am peeved.

That gets me with streaming services just deleting shows from their app, too. Shows they made themselves, and own the rights to. I was happy to finally get HBO Max, with a half-price deal, near the end of 2021. I kept it, because I had more that I wanted to watch, or re-watch (like Carnivale, which shouldn't have been cancelled, and Westworld, or The Nevers), but they didn't want to pay people what they were owed, so they just sold them to "free" apps, and deleted them. Not Carnivale, but the other two, as well as other things I hadn't got around to watching. 

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Fire 1
6 hours ago, Dimity said:

I am peeved.

Now that I know there is a My Three Sons thread, I will check it out. 

3 hours ago, Anela said:

That gets me with streaming services just deleting shows from their app, too. Shows they made themselves, and own the rights to.

That's one of the reasons I want my favorite shows/movies on DVD or Blu-Ray -- so I have them forever (well, at least until the disc wears out, which I've never had happen, or until the player dies and replacements are no longer available [I still have two working VCRs, so I'm not worried about my DVD and Blu-Ray players at this point]), not only so long as a streaming service deigns to keep it available.  That's also one of the reasons I don't have a DVR, and instead record to disc; half of those I know with DVRs have had theirs crap out at some point and need to be replaced, losing everything on them.

Also so I can watch them anywhere, and for the special features (if there are any).

• Like 6
  • Love 1

FWIW, My Three Sons is now on Prime--I just checked to see where it had surfaced for streaming.  It is no longer a daily on MeTV.

27 minutes ago, Bastet said:

That's one of the reasons I want my favorite shows/movies on DVD or Blu-Ray -- so I have them forever (well, at least until the disc wears out, which I've never had happen, or until the player dies and replacements are no longer available [I still have two working VCRs, so I'm not worried about my DVD and Blu-Ray players at this point]), not only so long as a streaming service deigns to keep it available.  That's also one of the reasons I don't have a DVR, and instead record to disc; half of those I know with DVRs have had theirs crap out at some point and need to be replaced, losing everything on them.

Also so I can watch them anywhere, and for the special features (if there are any).

Agree with you here-- I have a DVR and rely on it to watch my regular shows without having to watch all the commercials.  But I don't rely on it for permanent storage--you can't. 

11 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

WIW, My Three Sons is now on Prime--I just checked to see where it had surfaced for streaming.  It is no longer a daily on MeTV.

I know a lot here don't care for it, but one of my favorites on MeTV was I Love Lucy, and the ratbastards took it off the air about three years ago, I think? It showed up on Decades, now Comedy something, but I switched to Verizon FiOs, and they don't have that channel, so I have my dvds.

I've found dvds go bad; but blurays do not. Certain movies and shows I've rewatched again and again (first five years of original Law & Order, Scarecrow & Mrs. King, Remington Steele), and have been very careful, because I had to get seasons three and four of L&O!

As for other shows not available on DVD? Music rights, and not enough demand. The former is an issue with Cold Case; the latter with Who's the Boss? Only the first season is out on dvd. Which is a shame.

• Sad 2
1 minute ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

As for other shows not available on DVD? Music rights, and not enough demand. The former is an issue with Cold Case; the latter with Who's the Boss? Only the first season is out on dvd. Which is a shame.

Murphy Brown only got season one released.  Apparently it didn't sell well and also music licensing was pretty spendy.  I also get that it hasn't dated well because of the focus on the topical issues but dammit it was still funny!  I'd love to see it again.

• Like 6
  • Mind Blown 1
19 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

I want to factory reset my iPhone and I can’t do it. It won’t connect to the iCloud or something. Sigh.

Why do you want to reset it? Did you back it up first?

50 minutes ago, Dimity said:

Murphy Brown only got season one released.  Apparently it didn't sell well and also music licensing was pretty spendy.  I also get that it hasn't dated well because of the focus on the topical issues but dammit it was still funny!  I'd love to see it again.

I never really watched Murphy Brown.  I was a teen and I think I was too young to really appreciate it when it originally aired, but I loved the reboot.   I think I would appreciate Murphy Brown more now and wish it was available somewhere to stream.  

On 5/23/2024 at 11:14 AM, Yeah No said:

Another strategy for this is to stick to basics and find ways to put them together that look younger and fresh.  Find one or two pieces that update the look to resemble what younger people are wearing without looking like you're trying to look too young. 

This a great idea, thank you!

On 5/23/2024 at 2:23 PM, Ohiopirate02 said:

And every single time I have to dodge the idiots who stop in the middle of the walkway to check their phone or chat.  I don't know what it is about airports, but as soon as people walk through those doors they lose all common sense.

I'll bet these are the same people who unfasten their seat belts and stand up and start grabbing their bags while the plane is still taxiing. My husband and I were traveling to Daytona from upstate NY in March, had a layover in Atlanta that was originally an hour and a half but due to weather our flight was delayed at departure so we only had 20 mins to get from Terminal T to A, using the train. It was like running an obstacle course because people kept stopping in front of us, we made it just in time.

On 5/27/2024 at 4:24 PM, Ancaster said:

fitbit.  I got one a few days ago

I used fitbit for many years, many different models, always upgrading thinking I was going to get a better experience. Not only did the experience not improve, every fitbit started to die after a couple years, wouldn't hold a charge or some features just stopped working. Their site was no help, I finally gave up and got an Apple watch that I've had for 4 years with no problem. Worth the $$$. Good luck to you. 

On 5/27/2024 at 8:26 PM, ABay said:

I wish more women today were aware of what it was like before the feminist movement. 

Truth.

• Like 4
59 minutes ago, KittyMom4 said:

I used fitbit for many years, many different models, always upgrading thinking I was going to get a better experience. Not only did the experience not improve, every fitbit started to die after a couple years, wouldn't hold a charge or some features just stopped working. Their site was no help, I finally gave up and got an Apple watch that I've had for 4 years with no problem. Worth the $$$. Good luck to you. 

I'm a diehard anything-but-Apple user, but I've actually considered this, but then I wouldn't be able to synch it with anything.  I think.  (I'm also a proud Luddite, until I'm not, then I'm just tech ignorant.)

Plus, all I want is the heart monitor part of it.  I really have no interest in anything else it might do, to the extent that I still wear an analogue watch.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1

You mean you want to see the heart rate?  You slide up a few screens and there it is.  Once you have the fitbit synced to your phone, you can look at the rate there as well.

I've had several fitbits over the years.  Looking back at my pictures (I take a picture whenever I buy something important), they've each lasted 3-4 years.

• Useful 3