Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

The last few posts sound like folks just don't want to be hectored to do certain things. So why do some people keep bugging them to try this, try that, you don't know what you're missing, etc , etc?  Maybe they just don't know *when* to stop with their suggestions, or don't know how to "read the room", as the saying goes.  

• Like 3
36 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

I would hate that too.  I have always kept my budget on a spreadsheet and it works fine.  If that makes me old school so be it!

My mom still does her budget in a paper notebook with pen! 

36 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

I would hate that too.  I have always kept my budget on a spreadsheet and it works fine.  If that makes me old school so be it!

My mom still does her budget in a paper notebook with pen! 

• Like 2
45 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

The last few posts sound like folks just don't want to be hectored to do certain things. So why do some people keep bugging them to try this, try that, you don't know what you're missing, etc , etc?  Maybe they just don't know *when* to stop with their suggestions, or don't know how to "read the room", as the saying goes.  

This is my permanent peeve - people who can't take no for an answer. We talk about it when it comes to sex, but there are so many other instances, like pushing people to try some food, to drink, to do all sorts of activities, invite people they don't want for weddings, etc. I hate it, it's a complete lack of respect for other people. And if you reply in a more aggressive way after several polite attempts, they have the nerve to get offended.

• Like 10
  • Applause 2
1 hour ago, JustHereForFood said:

This is my permanent peeve - people who can't take no for an answer. We talk about it when it comes to sex, but there are so many other instances, like pushing people to try some food, to drink, to do all sorts of activities, invite people they don't want for weddings, etc. I hate it, it's a complete lack of respect for other people. And if you reply in a more aggressive way after several polite attempts, they have the nerve to get offended.

Same. I think the biggest reason some people (myself included) struggle with saying "no" is that people never take their "no" for answer, or question it. If you're taught early on that your "no" doesn't matter, well...

My advice? Forget everything you've been told, ALWAYS take "no" for an answer*. 

*Rare exceptions notwithstanding.

• Like 7
  • Useful 1
(edited)
15 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Same. I think the biggest reason some people (myself included) struggle with saying "no" is that people never take their "no" for answer, or question it. If you're taught early on that your "no" doesn't matter, well...

That was my mom. She was always trying to sell me on things I didn't want to do. One glaring example comes to mind. In the nineties, when my son was in grade school, he got chicken pox. Then I caught it from him. ( I had it as a kid and they hadn't come out with a vaccine yet) I told my mom I couldn't come to my dad's 60th D-day party they were holding in a private room in some fancy restaurant. You'd think I'd killed her dog. She went on and on about how I had to be there. I told her, I was covered in itchy spots and I wasn't going to risk my babysitter getting sick. I was going to stay home with my sick kid and get some rest. She would not let it go.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 14
(edited)
3 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

The only time I remember getting a little pushy like that was recently when both my husband and friends were constantly complaining about intrusive ads on websites at the same time and it was starting to get to me because there are so many easy fixes for that including ad blocking browsers and extensions that are easy peasy and work like a charm.  But I knew when to shut up and lo and behold most of them later solved the problem with one of those options.  Either that or they stopped complaining because I told them that that was as annoying or more than me telling them to get an ad blocker, LOL.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Sometimes it's cultural (especially when it comes to food or gifts).  You're supposed to say no three times.  But if they ask any more, then it's rude.  Sometimes, however, family members will expect you to say yes.  And they really upset when you ask about ingredients (which I have mentioned several times before).  And these older "Auntie Karens" just don't get that you're technically from a different culture, even though your parents are immigrants (as if their kids didn't grow up here - most are parents of children who were either born here or spent a significant part of their childhood here)!

Update on my cooktop situation:  I need a brand new cooktop!!!!!  They're ordering parts, so I'll be living with a single portable cooktop for the next few weeks, should I need to make things like, say, pasta.  At least it was still under warranty so I don't have to pay a cent!

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Yes. Plus the useful advice I've learned here: "No is a complete answer." I love it so much. Whenever I forget myself and start to explain my reasons for not wanting something, it gets worse and those pushers try to dispute with me. It's better to offer no reasons and when asked, keep them as simple as possible.

• Like 5

@Yeah No He's probably pushing because he knows you'd love the cruise experience (if only it didn't involve being on the water!!!) I wish there were some type of med, or gizmo you could wear, that would make a cruise fun for you. But doubt there's anything that could do this ☹️.  Maybe a trip to Las Vegas (or Atlantic City) for the great restaurants and shows might be an ok substitute? 

• Like 1

Late to get back to this thread, between shoveling snow and organizing the new fridge I have been swamped and hardly have read anything anywhere.

Re the fridge: When I walked into the store I right up front told the salesperson what I was looking for. My list was pretty simple: top freezer, no ice maker, no other bells and whistles ie wifi or glass doors, etc. All those extras are the things that break down first. I did not want stainless steel and did not want a GE. (When I first moved here 2004 I bought a brand new GE fridge, freezer below, and it died exactly 2 yrs and 2 months after purchase. Dealer said "sorry out of warranty...") I told salesperson I just want a basic fridge that will keep my food to proper temp in freezer and fridge compartment.

(The fridge I was now replacing I had bought from an ad in 2006 for $200 a Roper built in 2/1998. It worked like a champ until just about a month ago. They sure don't make them like they used to!!)

Salesperson started showing me all the freezer on top basic ones, black, steel etc and I said no I just want white. They had 2, a GE (NOPE!) and a Frigidaire which after looking inside, I said Yes, I want this one.  2 weeks for delivery...can't wait that long, so I bought the floor model and they delivered and set it up 2 days later! I love it!

It is about 4" or so taller than old one and a couple inches wider but the inside has much more room. The freezer shelf has 3 adjustment levels so I will play with that a bit to see what works best for me. I won't have to buy a little chest freezer now!  I have 2 temp controlled veggie drawers and a deli drawer and lots of shelf adjustment levels to choose from. 

I had a side by side in the house here when I bought it but I hated it. The GE I bought had a bottom freezer and I hated that even more! The one I bought for $200 was a top freezer and I loved it.  It is top freezer for me all the way, forever.

Sorry I got so long winded, but I was trying to address all the comments about fridges made during the time I missed.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • Love 7
(edited)

@Gramto6 can you come organize my fridge? I have been avoiding it for a week. Even knowing how good it feels after I do it hasn’t motivated me. I still curse it even after I clear it out no matter how good a cleared fridge feels.

Roper is excellent brand! I am getting that brand when I finally unload my curse it everyday front loader (insert a Michael Scott Toby ruins every thing talking head). I hate my front loader more than I hate my fridge. Whirlpool owns Roper.

Edited by stewedsquash
  • LOL 1

@Yeah No  They make a behind the ear patch called Scopolamine. Perhaps next time you see your primary care Doctor you should ask if those would be a good fit for you to use on the cruise. I have used them before and they helped greatly when I wanted to out with the family on my brother’s boat. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 4
33 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

@Yeah No  They make a behind the ear patch called Scopolamine. Perhaps next time you see your primary care Doctor you should ask if those would be a good fit for you to use on the cruise. I have used them before and they helped greatly when I wanted to out with the family on my brother’s boat. 

Having been on a 17 day cruise (my first!) this last summer, I can tell you two things:

(1) try out any anti-motion sickness meds well before you even book the cruise as everyone reacts differently to different meds and some side effects could be worse than the thing itself. On my ship a lot of people were taking Dramamine and it did not work for everyone, and other people mentioned to me that they got headaches or digestive issues.

(2) the cruise that I was on (L.A. to Hawaii and back) was in the middle of summer and nonetheless the first night out was extremely rough with high seas and wind. The ship (a huge Princess vessel) was definitely lurching to and fro *a lot* (like hard to keep your footing a lot), despite the stabilizers, and this went on all night and into the first day at sea, finally calming down by the middle of the first day or so. I do not get seasick at all (and thank God, neither did my son) but it was a bit alarming as I did not realize in advance such a big ship could lurch that much and also did not know the stabilizers make a lot of noise (all night long) from underneath, so not much sleep that first night!

Nonetheless I would go again in a heartbeat if someone wants to pay my way and do plan to cruise again but its worth pointing out to the cruise fanatics that the experience may be unexpectedly fraught despite their best intentions and it is a rather expensive way to have a terrible time if you are prone to motion sickness.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

About saying no. I'm watching a documentary on Netflix: Feminists, what were they thinking? and Jane Fonda says about all the times she said yes because she didn't know how to say no. "I've only known for 10 years that no is a complete sentence". The film is from 2018.

• Like 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, supposebly said:

About saying no. I'm watching a documentary on Netflix: Feminists, what were they thinking? and Jane Fonda says about all the times she said yes because she didn't know how to say no. "I've only known for 10 years that no is a complete sentence". The film is from 2018.

I'm one of those people who loves "No is a complete sentence", so that stood out to me, too.

(Speaking of feminist documentaries on Netflix, they also have - or at least did last time I looked - the PBS documentary 9 to 5: The Story of a Movement.)

I join those peeved by the "No, really, you're missing out, you'll love it" crowd.  Even if I didn't have motion sickness that's at its very worst on water, I would have no interest in going on a cruise.  I wander when I travel, so having a set, limited amount of time in port cities is not my jam.  Nor do I want to be with that many people, no way I'm dining with strangers, the at-sea days would get old very quickly, etc.  It's just not for me.  Most people get that, but cruising is one of those things were some people who love it cannot fathom the simple fact there are people who don't.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 7
  • Applause 2
2 hours ago, stewedsquash said:

@Gramto6 can you come organize my fridge? I have been avoiding it for a week. Even knowing how good it feels after I do it hasn’t motivated me.

Roper is excellent brand! I am getting that brand when I finally unload my front loader ( insert a Michael Scott Toby ruins every thing talking head). Whirlpool owns Roper.

LOL! I have the freezer organized the way I want it but still working on the fridge part. It is rather a daunting project but one I too had been putting off too long!

I didn't know Roper was now part of Whirlpool! I suspect Whirlpool probably doesn't make the bare bones fridge like I wanted. There were rows upon rows of "fancy" fridges in the Appliance store I went to, and about 10 lonely ones of what I wanted...just the basic. And only 2 in white.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
17 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

@Yeah No He's probably pushing because he knows you'd love the cruise experience (if only it didn't involve being on the water!!!) I wish there were some type of med, or gizmo you could wear, that would make a cruise fun for you. But doubt there's anything that could do this ☹️.  Maybe a trip to Las Vegas (or Atlantic City) for the great restaurants and shows might be an ok substitute? 

Yeah, I'm sure it's frustrating for him because he knows I would love cruising but I think he's mostly thinking about how much more HE would enjoy it if I could go, LOL.  I don't begrudge that, of course but he's forgetting about how frustrating and disappointing it is for ME!  And his added pressure is only making that 10 times worse. 

I wish a trip somewhere else might get his mind off it, but he's got a one track mind about cruising these days.  I'm almost ready to give in and go anyway but bring tons of ginger capsules with me and anything else I can find that I can tolerate - anti-nausea wristbands, etc.  The cruise he booked is to Bermuda again but he says he would love to go back.  It's only 1.5 days on the water to get there and 1.5 back, so it is one of the shortest at-sea cruises we could find.  If I get sick at least it will get him off my back.  If not I might have a great time.

16 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I've heard of that, I'll have to see if I can try it out beforehand.  I am a little afraid of patches because I'm so sensitive to everything that the dosage may be too strong for me, but I'm willing to give it a trial run in advance.  Thanks.

To give you an idea of how I am, when I had a case of vertigo last year and was admitted overnight to the hospital for tests, I was given meclizine for nausea and they couldn't understand why I was still vomiting.  I told them I was vomiting from the medication now, not the vertigo!  As soon as they stopped giving it to me the nausea went away.

15 hours ago, isalicat said:

(2) the cruise that I was on (L.A. to Hawaii and back) was in the middle of summer and nonetheless the first night out was extremely rough with high seas and wind. The ship (a huge Princess vessel) was definitely lurching to and fro *a lot* (like hard to keep your footing a lot), despite the stabilizers, and this went on all night and into the first day at sea, finally calming down by the middle of the first day or so. I do not get seasick at all (and thank God, neither did my son) but it was a bit alarming as I did not realize in advance such a big ship could lurch that much and also did not know the stabilizers make a lot of noise (all night long) from underneath, so not much sleep that first night!

Oh, that sounds awful, sorry to hear that!  That would be my worst nightmare!  I'm worried about the cruise my husband booked because it's in August and I worry about hurricanes and rough seas as a result of nearby storms.  I wish he could have booked it in June or July, I might feel better about that, but I think they were all booked up by the time he got there.  He told me on the way home from the Bermuda cruise to he took last year (which was in June) there were a few hours of semi-rough seas and he said he didn't think I could handle that.  So why is he still pressuring me?  He is making no sense, LOL.

• Sad 5

If I had issues with seasickness but wanted to experience a cruise, I'd fly to Ft Lauderdale and cruise to the little islands. You're not on the Atlantic that much (I think). And only get off the ship when it has docked at a pier (don't get in a tender). IMO, there isn't much to see on the islands (that is worth an iffy trip in a tender!) I prefer being on the ship when everybody else gets off to tour some places. It's like the ship is your own big yacht. No waiting for elevators. No lines. Cozy 😁

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

If I had issues with seasickness but wanted to experience a cruise, I'd fly to Ft Lauderdale and cruise to the little islands. You're not on the Atlantic that much (I think). And only get off the ship when it has docked at a pier (don't get in a tender). IMO, there isn't much to see on the islands (that is worth an iffy trip in a tender!) I prefer being on the ship when everybody else gets off to tour some places. It's like the ship is your own big yacht. No waiting for elevators. No lines. Cozy 😁

I've heard that the waters can be calmer in some places depending on the time of year and the Caribbean is one of them, however I can only handle one stress inducing form of travel at a time.  For some reason in my older age I've developed flying anxiety and that was a factor last November when we went to Florida.  I was fine, though, and we had a fabulous time.  But the thought of potentially experiencing bad seasickness and then having to get on a plane back home is not something I'd want to risk at this point.  I don't normally get motion sickness from traveling in a commercial jet unless there's bad turbulence, but add being seasick to flying and it could be even worse.  In my case if I develop motion sickness it can wreck up that day and the next day too.  Not a scenario I'm willing to risk at this point.

Years ago there used to be a "cruise to nowhere" out of NYC which was a short trip out and back with no land destination.  Unfortunately that was discontinued several years ago - something about the rules regarding international waters.  If they still had that I could have done it as a "trial run".  Too bad.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2
1 hour ago, Yeah No said:

I wish he could have booked it in June or July,

Don't book a Caribbean cruise between June and November -- it's hurricane season.

I don't do conventional cruises, but I have gone on a number of expedition cruises.  They take you a bit off the beaten path, and are more about nature -- no fancy floor shows or dress-up nights for dinner.  The ships are small, too, with maybe 150 passengers total.  I never used to get any kind of motion sickness, but after the trip to Antarctica, crossing the Drake Passage, I've gotten a little more sensitive to the rocking of the ship.  And this next bit is going to sound really really weird, but it works for me.  I take a package of plain Goldfish crackers, and eat a handful or two first thing in the mornings on the ship -- before I do anything else.  Having something in my stomach settles it, and having something plain, bland, and carb-y definitely helps.

All that said, if you don't want to go on a cruise, your husband needs to back off.

• Like 8
34 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

All that said, if you don't want to go on a cruise, your husband needs to back off.

Amen & hallelujah! @Yeah No Cruises are fun for those who do not have motion issues. But they're not fun enough to suffer physical miseries throughout the trip. 

• Like 8
9 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Amen & hallelujah! @Yeah No Cruises are fun for those who do not have motion issues. But they're not fun enough to suffer physical miseries throughout the trip. 

My parents were avid boaters. The first time I went out with them, Puget Sound was really rough that day. I got violently ill. My mom said it was because I stayed in the cabin playing with my dolls the whole time. The next time, I sat on the deck and watched the water, the sky and the passing islands. I never got sick again.

• Like 8
2 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

My parents were avid boaters. The first time I went out with them, Puget Sound was really rough that day. I got violently ill. My mom said it was because I stayed in the cabin playing with my dolls the whole time. The next time, I sat on the deck and watched the water, the sky and the passing islands. I never got sick again.

I've done that on ferries - even one across Puget sound where the sea lions greeted us - where I stayed outside and looked out at the water.  That helps a lot.  My husband booked a room with a window and balcony for the next cruise so that would also help but I can't be on that all the time especially when eating and moving about the ship.

I'm not really one for all the shows, activities and hoo-ha on board to be honest but I'm sure the experience would be fun for me in other ways if not for my motion issue.

As far as hurricane season goes, I'm not too worried about June and July, it's August through October, the peak of the peak season that worries me.  Although I'm told that cruises know how to avoid storms and not that many go through Bermuda anyway, but there's still that possibility.  And even without storms near the ships they can still cause choppy seas from a distance.

I probably shouldn't worry about all that, though.  His sister is coming on this cruise too so that means the weather and conditions will be perfect.  Seriously, she has the luck of the Irish.  No matter when or where she goes on vacation the weather is always perfect.  I haven't been that unlucky either but I've had to either cancel or reschedule trips before.  And always when the stress is about as high as could be for any number of reasons.

I still don't know what I'm going to do about this, but I appreciate the advice.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1
On 2/8/2024 at 3:33 PM, Bookish Jen said:

I've only had my smartphone for four years, and already it has to be replaced because the battery doesn't really charge as quickly and I can't use an important app because I need to upgrade my phone. Ugh.

Wonderful news, crisis averted. I bought a new battery and a new charging cord, and now my phone is back to normal. Thank goodness. I saved myself a lot of dough.

On topic: Pet Peeves

Clothing today is trash. Not only do I have trouble finding clothing that is attractive and stylish, I'm also having trouble finding clothing that doesn't immediately fall apart. I have sweaters I bought in the 90s and the aughts that are still in great condition, but a sweater I bought two years ago is already falling apart. It's maddening.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 1

I promise you this post has nothing to do with any Primetimer user or mod.  It's for another site I frequent.

One mod there for the last few months makes it an unenjoyable experience for me.  I think he makes a lot of snarky type remarks to my posts and uses his power there as a mod to not let me get in much edge wise against him.

I admit I can be sensitive but I'm looking for advise if maybe like a PM or DM or whatever messages are called to him to clear some things up is a good idea.  Like not confrontational kind of thing.  

• Like 1
(edited)
On 2/17/2024 at 5:17 PM, Mindthinkr said:

If you are sensitive to meds, take NOTHING.  Before a cruise, two of my Doctors told me to take Bonine, an antihistamine.  I took one the morning of he cruise.  After two hours, I had horrible pressure in both my temples all day long and into the night.  It ruined my whole first day at sea.  My next four cruises, I took nothing, and was fine as the seas were calm.  Everyone is different.  If you are hesitant, or sensitive, take one way before the cruise, as a test.

Edited by kristen111
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 2
8 hours ago, kristen111 said:

If you are sensitive to meds, take NOTHING.  Before a cruise, two of my Doctors told me to take Bonine, an antihistamine.  I took one the morning of he cruise.  After two hours, I had horrible pressure in both my temples all day long and into the night.  It ruined my whole first day at sea.  My next four cruises, I took nothing, and was fine as the seas were calm.  Everyone is different.  If you are hesitant, or sensitive, take one way before the cruise, as a test.

Thanks, and yes, I will do a trial run with that patch before the cruise.  I already know I can't take antihistamines.  They all make me throw up, and that's what they usually prescribe for motion sickness.  From what I've read this patch is not an antihistamine or anything I know I'm sensitive to so I'm going to try it out well in advance of the trip.  No way will I risk making myself even sicker on the ship!  I'm still not sure I'm going yet but we'll see!  😉

• Like 3

There's also the wristband with two beads on it. The beads need to be against your inner wrist. 

Actually, tho, I am a rarity when it comes to drugs and supplements.  My Sister tales like 100 vitamins a day .. I can’t take one.  They all make me feel crummy.  My daughter sent me under eye creme from Amazon for puffiness.  I put some on and a couple of hours later felt crummy.  It’s not in my mind either .. my Mother was the same way.  She couldn’t tolerate  things either and was sensitive to everything. 

• Sad 4
  • Useful 1
(edited)

There's also the wristband with two beads on it. The beads need to be against your inner wrist. 

I've tried those and don't find they work so well for me.  Ginger capsules do help, though, but only partially.  If I were to look down and read something in the car I'd start to feel nauseous in no time.  I have a very bad case of motion sickness, unfortunately.  Toward the end of his life my father revealed to me for the first time that back during WWII when men were signing up like crazy to join the armed forces he would have wanted to join the Navy but decided against it and joined the Army instead because of his motion sickness.  So now I know where I got it!

Edited by Yeah No
  • Hugs 2
  • Sad 1
18 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

Actually, tho, I am a rarity when it comes to drugs and supplements.  My Sister tales like 100 vitamins a day .. I can’t take one.  They all make me feel crummy.  My daughter sent me under eye creme from Amazon for puffiness.  I put some on and a couple of hours later felt crummy.  It’s not in my mind either .. my Mother was the same way.  She couldn’t tolerate  things either and was sensitive to everything. 

I'm OK with vitamins but skin creams are another story.  They don't make me feel bad but my skin is sensitive to a lot of ingredients and I can't wear anything with fragrance in it.  On top of that last year I suddenly developed a mild case of rosacea on the apples of my cheeks and now even some of the stuff I could use aggravates that.  I have a cream I got from a dermatologist and that only helps so much.  Right now I can only use a few Olay products and La Roche Posay.  I was able to use a Neutrogena "Gel Cream" but they changed the formula a few months ago and now it makes my skin get nubby and redder.  Ugh.  

Speaking of pet peeves, product discontinuation and changes in formulas are a BIG pet peeve of mine!  As soon as I finally find something I like it gets discontinued!  Right now I am ordering all sorts of discontinued and hard to find things on Ebay because of that. 

• Like 5
17 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

I've tried those and don't find they work so well for me.  Ginger capsules do help, though, but only partially.  If I were to look down and read something in the car I'd start to feel nauseous in no time.  I have a very bad case of motion sickness, unfortunately.  Toward the end of his life my father revealed to me for the first time that back during WWII when men were signing up like crazy to join the armed forces he would have wanted to join the Navy but decided against it and joined the Army instead because of his motion sickness.  So now I know where I got it!

Maybe you ought to remain on terra firma 🥴

• Like 5
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

Maybe you ought to remain on terra firma 🥴

Or don't read until they get their sea legs. That was my problem, as I said up-thread. I was playing with dolls, not looking around and I got sick. Reading probably does the same thing.

• Like 2

Pet Peeve I have working with the public/ being in public in general; people who don’t cover their coughs or cough into their hands and then proceed to touch things with said hand. See also; people who lick their fingers and then use that to get some paper/card/money. I don’t want to touch your saliva! Have we learned nothing from the past 4 years people? It’s not that hard to go through your day without spreading your germs everywhere. If I’ve seen elementary schoolers cover their cough with their arm you can to!

• Fire 7
  • Applause 2
(edited)

@peacheslatour Your mother’s solution  works because motion sickness is a connection between your body/ inner ear/ brain not connecting movement correctly to each other that causes the reaction. Once you acclimate all three to the movement then most usually are able to overcome the symptoms. Your brain knows you are moving in a car but your body feels no movement so if you look out the window and see the movement your brain will connect it to your body and then you can focus on reading. Another car example is riding in the back seat causes you to sense wheel movement more. Your body feels the movement of the wheel and gets into a rhythm of the movement while not moving and ghe brain gets a wonky signal from that. 
If I were you @Yeah No I would seek out some remedies that don’t involve medicine  (since you are sensitive to them and it also causes you anxiety thinking about them as an option)but involve physical tricks?  concious thoughts about the movement? something that allows you to mentally and physically get the three things in sync with each other. 

eta you have to give in to the motion instead of fighting the motion if that makes sense. 

lol my middle son has motion sickness so I know enough to throw out suggestions and a good doctor like the ones he has had are a great source. Mayve you can check with an ent doctor or do some research from books.

Edited by stewedsquash
  • Like 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Or don't read until they get their sea legs. That was my problem, as I said up-thread. I was playing with dolls, not looking around and I got sick. Reading probably does the same thing.

Yep, and what bothers me most is the fact I’m not in control to get he hell off the ship.  After 3 and a half days on the water to Puerto Rico, I had an attack and wanted to get off.  Husband had to calm me down.  That was tooo long on the water from NewYork to Puerto Rico.  I rather go by car or maybe Amtrak.  Maybe.  Somewhere.  People I know like cruising because they like all the food, gamble, and the shows.  I don’t do much of either.  I like going in the car.

Edited by kristen111
  • Like 5
15 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

Yep, and what bothers me most is the fact I’m not in control to get he hell off the ship.  After 3 and a half days on the water to Puerto Rico, I had an attack and wanted to get off.  Husband had to calm me down.  That was tooo long on the water from NewYork to Puerto Rico.  I rather go by car or maybe Amtrak.  Maybe.  Somewhere.  People I know like cruising because they like all the food, gamble, and the shows.  I don’t do much of either.  I like going in the car.

I'm like that too. I get panicky in crowds if I feel I can't get out. When we were young and single and  used to go to parties, I always drove, so I could leave any time I wanted to.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
On 2/17/2024 at 7:54 AM, Cloud9Shopper said:

I hate the conversion effect with other things too. I’ve always kept track of my budget and debts using Excel or Google Sheets (because so many budget apps require subscriptions which I can’t pay for when I’m paycheck to paycheck and trying to get out of debt), and so many people would try to convince me that I HAD to use YNAB (You Need a Budget) and it was so life changing and now they love budgeting and blah blah blah, acting as if a budget app made them a born-again Christian. I downloaded it once, didn’t really find it easy to learn and canceled my subscription. Like just leave me alone with my free spreadsheet. I know it doesn’t have a lot of fancy features but it did allow me to track my spending and list my debts just fine. 

Same here! I have tried various apps (either free or subscription based) and I haven't found any of them easy to use or user friendly. Most of them are a pain in the ass to even set up. I've used an excel spreadsheet for YEARS, its easy, I can track the way I want to track and I can easily change any part of it to fit what I need. My daughters tease me for being old school but it works and it doesn't constantly nag me with notifications and reminders. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

I'm like that too. I get panicky in crowds if I feel I can't get out. When we were young and single and  used to go to parties, I always drove, so I could leave any time I wanted to.

Amtrak was nice.  We went from New York to Denver.  I knew I could stop the train and get off if needed.  It psychologicall.  My son on his honeymoon went back forth to the Bahamas on the ship.  Both ways they hit a storm and didn’t eat anything.  But, people don’t think the worst, I guess.  Maybe not a good way to live.  The good outweighs the bad.

• Like 2
On 2/17/2024 at 11:17 AM, JustHereForFood said:

My permanent peeve, semi-related: People who plan events based on one person's schedule. Which means everyone else has to change their schedules and obligations to accommodate. This mainly family based but I have also seen it with friends and coworkers as well. 

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

Amtrak was nice.  We went from New York to Denver.  I knew I could stop the train and get off if needed.  It psychologicall.  My son on his honeymoon went back forth to the Bahamas on the ship.  Both ways they hit a storm and didn’t eat anything.  But, people don’t think the worst, I guess.  Maybe not a good way to live.  The good outweighs the bad.

I've been back and forth from Seattle to Pittsburgh  on trains a few times in my life. The first time both my mom and I got motion sickness on the first day but after that we were good to go.

• Like 2

I've been back and forth from Seattle to Pittsburgh  on trains a few times in my life. The first time both my mom and I got motion sickness on the first day but after that we were good to go.

I’d go somewhere by train in a heartbeat,but husband doesn’t care to travel much anywhere anymore, and I don’t want to push him.  He’s been I the Army twice all over Europe, so had his fill.  I wouldn’t mind that River Cruise down the Rhine that many people are going on.  I could go with a girlfriend, but rather with him.  A very big trip tho.  He’s a homebody now.  Maybe I’ll op to a few days in Pennsylvania, lol.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

I’d go somewhere by train in a heartbeat,but husband doesn’t care to travel much anywhere anymore, and I don’t want to push him.  He’s been I the Army twice all over Europe, so had his fill.  I wouldn’t mind that River Cruise down the Rhine that many people are going on.  I could go with a girlfriend, but rather with him.  A very big trip tho.  He’s a homebody now.  Maybe I’ll op to a few days in Pennsylvania, lol.

You get like that when you reach a certain age, I guess. 

• Like 1

You get like that when you reach a certain age, I guess. 

Just packing for over nite is a hassle.  This is the exact time of the year when we used to drive the car to Disney in Florida with the three kids.  Husband used to throw his change into a big Piggie Bank for gas and tolls.  Good times.  

• Like 3
  • Love 2
On 2/17/2024 at 4:34 PM, Gramto6 said:

They had 2, a GE (NOPE!) and a Frigidaire which after looking inside, I said Yes, I want this one.  2 weeks for delivery...can't wait that long, so I bought the floor model and they delivered and set it up 2 days later! I love it!

I currently have a Frigidaire, and inside it looks just like a different model I had. I just want it to keep food cold.

• Like 3

My current peeve is that I think LinkedIn got rid of the feature that allowed you to click on someone’s profile without them knowing that you viewed it.   And previously I had my profile set up so that people not connected to me could only see my last initial but not my last name but I changed this last week after I got laid off.   Then I accidentally clicked on a profile of someone I went to high school with, I had no idea it would tell her it was me but apparently it did and she wrote me asking how I am and I don’t know how or if I want to reply, there’s a reason I’m not on Facebook.   

• Mind Blown 1
20 hours ago, nokat said:

I currently have a Frigidaire, and inside it looks just like a different model I had. I just want it to keep food cold.

Bingo! that is all I wanted too!  So far seems to be a fine  fridge!

• Like 4
On 2/17/2024 at 11:17 AM, JustHereForFood said:

Yes. One of the things I don’t miss about Reddit is being on TV subs with people who are baffled that I don’t like a character. “Well I don’t get the hate!” “The hate of her is over the top!” Asking me why I don’t like her, trying to convince me to see how I’m wrong and how great she is (and then they say “I’m not trying to convince you.”) How about this? I don’t like her. Never will. You can like her all you want but stop acting like I have to because you can’t possibly fathom someone having a different opinion than yours. I don’t like her because I don’t. End of story. 😂

My pet peeve today is the “We’re _____; of course we ______” trend that refuses to die on social media. Mostly Instagram but it’s been on Facebook too. It was kinda cute the first few videos but now that everyone and their mother is making one, it is tired and unoriginal. Sucks when something fun gets run into the ground to the point where it now sucks. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 3