Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,
  • Start Topic

Try picturing your screen and your thumb running over it to open an app. Muscle memory could help….

21 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

I am going crazy! I must have accidentally deleted an app from my phone's home screen and I have no idea which one -- I only know it's gone because the other apps have moved. It's not an "if you can't remember what it is, it's probably not important" situation; if I have it at all, then I use it (and I have a weird need to have no more than one screen's worth of apps). But what was it? Come on!

I don't know if I am more annoyed that I can't remember or that now all my other ones are now not where they belong.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
59 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

I am going crazy! I must have accidentally deleted an app from my phone's home screen and I have no idea which one -- I only know it's gone because the other apps have moved. It's not an "if you can't remember what it is, it's probably not important" situation; if I have it at all, then I use it (and I have a weird need to have no more than one screen's worth of apps). But what was it? Come on!

I don't know if I am more annoyed that I can't remember or that now all my other ones are now not where they belong.

Have you tried the App Store?    It should show you apps that you’ve downloaded in the past that aren’t currently on your phone.  

• Like 2
  • Useful 3

Neither of these suggestions is working, but thank you! Maybe this will be one of those times that something comes to mind suddenly in the middle of the night!

Or, oh my god, what if I didn’t actually delete anything but instead somehow accidentally just rearranged them? Just enough to make myself crazy!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • LOL 4

So I was going through some paperwork and found a savings account I had but hadn't gotten any notices/letters on it for a while.  I guess once Covid happened a lot of things I lost track of.

So anyway I called to get the balance and I'm told the account balance is zero.  😠😡.  This rep couldn't tell me what happened to the funds I had.  Just said the account was closed.   I checked the state for abandoned property and my name wasn't there.  I have to square this away with the branch tomorrow.  

Edited by BlueSkies
  • Mind Blown 4
  • Sad 1
2 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

You may not have done anything. I've had apps just disappear...and I know I didn't do  anything to cause the disappearance. 

25 minutes ago, Laura Holt said:

Ugh I took out a filet of salmon from the freezer earlier, forgot my husband is leaving on a camping trip tomorrow.  And it's already started to defrost.  Dammit.  I guess I'm eating a lot of fish this week-end!

Make salmon burgers and freeze them for future use.

• Like 5
3 hours ago, Laura Holt said:

Ugh I took out a filet of salmon from the freezer earlier, forgot my husband is leaving on a camping trip tomorrow.  And it's already started to defrost.  Dammit.  I guess I'm eating a lot of fish this week-end!

I just found this and I hope it is not behind a paywall for you. Looks yummy. I would use fresh chopped jalapeno peppers (they are not all *that* spicy) rather than pickled ones from a tin.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1024529-salmon-and-corn-cakes-with-jalapeno-mayonnaise

@TattleTeeny I have noticed that sometimes when I set my iPhone down on the table beside me, that I do something, not sure what, but all the apps start to dance with the delete sign below. I didn't notice this for a long time, then when I did, I was afraid I was going to accidentally delete something. I have to touch the screen away from the apps to make it stop. If I am very careful how I handle the phone when I put it down this doesn't happen.

No clue what is going on, but maybe that is how you lost an app...?

Edited by Gramto6
typo

The Disney Spectrum fight has also prevented many people here in NY from seeing the US Open.  I decided to take out Sling Orange for a month at half price - $20 isn't much - and then will see how long this goes on.  I did add Hollywood Extra for $6 so I could watch TCM in case I make the switchover. 

It's annoying but Disney is trying to force the cable customers to buy all their channels which we shouldn't have to do.  So I blame them.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
6 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

@TattleTeeny I have noticed that sometimes when I set my iPhone down on the table beside me, that I do something, not sure what, but all the apps start to dance with the delete sign below. I didn't notice this for a long time, then when I did, I was afraid I was going to accidentally delete something. I have to touch the screen away from the apps to make it stop. If I am very careful how I handle the phone when I put it down this doesn't happen.

That happens when you are holding the phone, and you rest a finger or thumb on the screen for a few seconds without the screen locked. Happens to me quite frequently.

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

2 hours ago, ginger90 said:

That happens when you are holding the phone, and you rest a finger or thumb on the screen for a few seconds without the screen locked. Happens to me quite frequently.

To piggy-back on ginger's answer, if it's not obvious - that's what you would do (on purpose) if you want to rearrange your apps.  And a quick tap on an unused portion of your screen should bring things back to normal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve given up. I’ll figure it out when I need it, I guess. But I’ll amend my peeve to a phone that is way too sensitive. Last phone was not like this, I swear! Meanwhile, it is simultaneously insensitive and, other times, it makes me swipe/tap a bazillion times. Fucker.

• LOL 1
19 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Shopping for a good bra is a part-time job that I have and never asked for.

And once you find said good bra, you live in constant fear of the manufacturer discontinuing the style.  I have one, got her in 3 different colors, and have been wearing her these last 3 years.  I just know I will have to restart my search the next time I go shopping for bras.  

• Like 10
7 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

And once you find said good bra, you live in constant fear of the manufacturer discontinuing the style.  I have one, got her in 3 different colors, and have been wearing her these last 3 years. 

Bras are the worst for this but I've also learned that if I find almost anything I really like in the clothing department I better  buy two or three if finances permit because I just know that the store will go out of business or the style will get discontinued just as I am looking for a replacement.

• Like 11

I just hung up on another caller offering to send me a "free" back or knee brace, paid for by Medicare. The call wasn't based on my medical records; the caller didn't even know my name! No, madam, the device is NOT free and your company does NOT care about my presumed pain. Your company collects millions of dollars from Medicare for this overpriced equipment and is one reason our taxes, health insurance and medical costs are so high. Get off my phone!

• Fire 7
25 minutes ago, Laura Holt said:

Bras are the worst for this but I've also learned that if I find almost anything I really like in the clothing department I better  buy two or three if finances permit because I just know that the store will go out of business or the style will get discontinued just as I am looking for a replacement.

There are 2 things I am always in the market for--bras and shoes.  I currently have a rotation of 5 bras--3 of my preferred style, and 2 in another brand that work.  I will pick up a new one to add to that rotation when I see one for a good price.  I also have no qualms about buying a fun color or print in my chosen style.  Those are the ones that will go on clearance while the white, light pink, various shades of beige, and black ones are always 70 bucks.  I do follow a subreddit called ABraThatFits where I can keep up with the various changes in the bra world.  My current favorite bra is a sister to my old favorite style that was discontinued, and I learned this from that subreddit.  

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

And once you find said good bra, you live in constant fear of the manufacturer discontinuing the style.

So true.  This is why I said no dryer, because you'll never be able to find that model again and you don't want the elastic to give out. I gave up on underwires.

• Like 4
19 hours ago, Laura Holt said:

I live on the edge but if it has been safely defrosting and is still mostly frozen and cold I'd pop it back into the freezer. You can safely refreeze meat and fish as long as food safety has been followed.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

I gave up on bras sometime during the pandemic. I have three sports bras I wear if I absolutely have to wear a bra.

Tank tops/camis with the built-in one are my favorites. I realize that these (especially the inexpensive ones) don't always work too well for the bustier among us and for that I am sorry because they do make life easier. 

• Like 2

Tank tops/camis with the built-in one are my favorites. I realize that these (especially the inexpensive ones) don't always work too well for the bustier among us and for that I am sorry because they do make life easier. 

I have a couple of those too. I'm only a 36C so I don't need tons of support.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Like 1

Buying bras has been as depressing as buying swimsuits (after I turned 50, a while back). Finally got a Miracle swimsuit at Nordstrom and it fit well. Bras? I have a couple old Vanity Fair bras that I bought at Macy's in 2000 (yeah!). Since then, all I can find that fit me ok are Arianne fitted camisoles (not sure if camisole is the proper term as they're snug and hold me in). 

• Like 1
22 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Neither of these suggestions is working, but thank you! Maybe this will be one of those times that something comes to mind suddenly in the middle of the night!

Or, oh my god, what if I didn’t actually delete anything but instead somehow accidentally just rearranged them? Just enough to make myself crazy!

I'm an Android user, and I can view all downloaded apps through the settings app (looks like a gear wheel). Click on settings, then scroll down to apps and click on that, they should all be shown. Perhaps seeing the icon will trigger a memory.  Good luck!

• Like 6
36 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

I also have an Android, and it's got a feature called Accidental Touch Protection, which prevents deleting apps the way you think you might've deleted yours, @TattleTeeny. Just for future reference if iPhones have something similar, you might want to activate it.

I just checked my iPhone, and if you long-press and make the apps “dance” then click the minus sign on an app to delete it, it still asks if you want to remove from the home screen or delete completely. So there would be a lot of steps to accidentally remove an app. 

• Useful 2
14 minutes ago, nokat said:

Android here, and you have to really try to delete an app.

Yeah, you can accidentally delete the shortcut to the app from whichever page you have it but deleting it takes more effort. Even then, I have difficulty deleting the shortcut off of my home page.  You have to send it to the trashcan exactly right or it just rearranges your page.  Deleting an app is done in the Google Play store.  And then it will reappear on your phone after an update (looking at you Pandora, and June's Journey, and those slots games).

9 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Yeah, you can accidentally delete the shortcut to the app from whichever page you have it but deleting it takes more effort. Even then, I have difficulty deleting the shortcut off of my home page.  You have to send it to the trashcan exactly right or it just rearranges your page.  Deleting an app is done in the Google Play store.  And then it will reappear on your phone after an update (looking at you Pandora, and June's Journey, and those slots games).

It took hours for me to delete apps I didn't want. Some things google won't let you delete.  I went through settings for the apps I couldn't delete to put them to sleep.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I just checked my iPhone, and if you long-press and make the apps “dance” then click the minus sign on an app to delete it, it still asks if you want to remove from the home screen or delete completely. So there would be a lot of steps to accidentally remove an app. 

I am over it (mostly); I'll add it back when my (hopefully not time-sensitive) need for it makes me remember what it was. 

ETA! I figured it out -- and only because of yet another dumb phone thing I do all the time: accidentally take a screenshot by clumsily fumbling around with the phone in my hand (usually because I am trying to do too many things at once). I looked in my deleted photos and, sure enough, there was a picture of the home screen. Turns out it was just the Settings icon that got bumped off into oblivion, but obviously not deleted. Now I can put this mess back in the "correct" configuration! Thank you for your support, haha!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 10

I forgot who posted this thought months back and on which thread, but cable channels showing the same five movies every weekend. I have no desire to see Bridesmaids or any Harry Potter movie. I’m even tired of Meet the Parents and its sequels at this point. I’m not going to sit through four hours of Titanic every week. And I don’t want to watch animated kids movies on Freeform either. I tend to watch a lot of the same movies over and over on streaming, of course, but cable could at least make it worth the price.

(The only reason I even have cable is because Xfinity has a monopoly where I live and I have to get it bundled with the Internet. And since I work from home full time I am worried about not having as good of a connection on an Internet-only package. If I ever were to go back to an office job I’d be more likely to dump cable at that point. I watch streaming most of the time anyway and only keep cable on for the morning news and when I’m doing chores and want background noise so I can put on SVU for the 50th time.)

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Bookish Jen said:

Or we get lumped in with Boomers. I am most definitely not a Boomer.

I am early Gen X. Okay Boomer still irritates me. Then I remember I was able to go to college and buy a house.  What the current generation is going through...I had it easy.

• Like 4
1 minute ago, nokat said:

I am early Gen X. Okay Boomer still irritates me. Then I remember I was able to go to college and buy a house.  What the current generation is going through...I had it easy.

I don't disagree but no generation really had it easy.  Boomers get a lot of flak, some deserved, but a lot of boomers are also struggling now as they look to retirement in today's economy.  

• Like 7
  • Applause 2
Just now, Laura Holt said:

I don't disagree but no generation really had it easy.  Boomers get a lot of flak, some deserved, but a lot of boomers are also struggling now as they look to retirement in today's economy.  

That is my fear, we don't have that guaranteed support after we paid into social security for so long, or a pension.

I did struggle pinching every penny. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Peeve: salespeople at stores going beyond “can I help you?”

I have walked out of stores when this happens to me.  I was in a furniture store the other day and one of the sales people literally followed me all over the store.  I don't think she thought I was planning to shoplift a sofa.

• Like 2
  • LOL 7

I am by no means at all an anti-police kind of person. But maybe I am anti-weirdo-powertrip kind of person. I was outside of a store doing a curbside pickup in the same way that I always have at this store. And, per the store's instructions, you park outside the entrance -- which is indeed a fire zone. Which is why, way back when I started doing this pickup, I confirmed this with the store (I'd originally thought that I was just not seeing dedicated pickup parking spots like other stores have). Anyway...

I was doing that today, hazards on, and calling the number for curbside pickups. There was a guy in a large truck about 20 feet in front of me, apparently doing the same. A cop pulled up next to me and asked what I'm doing, I told him curbside pickup, and he said, "You're in a fire zone and there is no curbside pickup." Huh? Whatever, OK, fine. I told him that this is what the store tells customers to do. Well, then he said to me, "Do you want me to give you a ticket? You're talking back." Just then, the employee inside answered and I said, "Never mind, I'm gonna come in instead." The officer asked again if I wanted a ticket, but it's not like I could move until he did. After he moved up to the truck in front of me, I parked and went in to get my things. I asked the employee where curbside parking was and guess what I was told? Ugh.

OH! The guy in the truck? He was allowed to stay where he was. Oh well.

EDITED TO ADD: Suppose he was correct that there was no curbside pickup (he's not) -- then why would the employees of the store continuously cooperate by bringing out the orders?

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Mind Blown 3
  • Fire 7
34 minutes ago, Laura Holt said:

I have walked out of stores when this happens to me.  I was in a furniture store the other day and one of the sales people literally followed me all over the store.  I don't think she thought I was planning to shoplift a sofa.

The woman was not following me.  She just wanted to help me so she’d get commission, I guess.  Ugh.  She’s the reason why I often shop online. 

• Like 5
40 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Peeve: salespeople at stores going beyond “can I help you?”  A woman at Sephora today introduced herself and extended her hand.  WTF?  I’m trying to shop in peace, lady!  

I remember when my mom worked at a Pier 1 store years ago, she would often complain about how her boss would get on her to hound customers about these debit cards the store offered, and my mom didn't want to do that, because she knew how annoyed customers got when employees did that, and she also knew that a lot of their particular clientele didn't really need those cards, because it would just be one more card they had to keep track of among the ones they already had. 

A lot of those salespeople hate pestering customers like that, too, but unfortunately, they're often encouraged to do so by their bosses. Gotta sell that product at any cost, after all!

• Like 6
  • Sad 2
16 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

A lot of those salespeople hate pestering customers like that, too, but unfortunately, they're often encouraged to do so by their bosses. Gotta sell that product at any cost, after all!

One Christmas season when I was between jobs I took a part-time gig at Indigo (Canadian bookstore chain).  I thought it was going to be a dream of job surrounded by books all day and chatting with fellow book lovers.  Not so fast.  The first pep talk we new hires got was to the effect "books sell themselves you're here to get the customers to buy everything else".  So high priced gift items along with cards, candies and other sundries.  We were supposed to greet a customer and make lots of "helpful suggestions" even if all they came in to buy was the latest Grisham.

• Like 3
  • Fire 1
47 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

I remember when my mom worked at a Pier 1 store years ago, she would often complain about how her boss would get on her to hound customers about these debit cards the store offered, and my mom didn't want to do that, because she knew how annoyed customers got when employees did that, and she also knew that a lot of their particular clientele didn't really need those cards, because it would just be one more card they had to keep track of among the ones they already had. 

If it's about cards (especially at Sephora), maybe I should wear a "I've been a Sephora Rouge member for years" t-shirt every time I go in.  That way, people like her wouldn't bug me for THAT.

I've had people bug me and then when I tell them I'm okay, they get even crankier.  This usually comes from salespeople who sound like they speak Mandarin as a first language.  They find out that I'm Anglophone and they think I'm some "cranky Canadian lady of some undetermined East Asian heritage who won't be spending $$$$$$$."  Yeah, as if ALL Mandarin speakers fall into the "Crazy Rich Asians" stereotype.

@Laura Holt: I wouldn't EXACTLY call Indigo a bookstore chain.  It's much more than that :)

Edited by PRgal
  • Like 2
On 9/8/2023 at 2:12 PM, nokat said:

My peeve is having to buy more bras. I have to be out and sweating. I don't use the dryer, so I have bras hanging all over.

I always bought Bali.  They all irritated me.  Then bought Vanity Fair in Walmart.  Light as a feather.  Bought one in every color.  I’ve never sweated in them.

• Like 1

Poor quality in backpacks:

I bought a backpack in May. As of now the bottom has multiple holes, the straps are ripping off at the top. Basically I need to toss it. I used to be able to use a backpack for a few years. 

Edited by oliviabenson
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Sad 4
1 hour ago, oliviabenson said:

Poor quality in backpacks:

I bought a backpack in May. As of now the bottom has multiple holes, the straps are ripping off at the top. Basically I need to toss it. I used to be able to use a backpack for a few years. 

I have an Under Armor backpack, it was a little pricier than I would have liked but I’ve had  it for a few years and it’s in good shape.   

• Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 2

Ages ago I was in Florence with my daughter and brought her a leather backpack for about $100. As I’m an equestrian I told her how to clean it and condition it as I would my saddle. Here it’s decades later and it is still usable.  I imagine that the price to buy a new one of those today would be out of my price range. 

• Like 7
  • Love 1