Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

Tracking details that defy the laws of physics.

Here are details on a package I tracked just now:

Tuesday, May 30

12:43 PM

Package arrived at a carrier facility.

Chelmsford, MA US

Monday, May 29

11:08 AM

Package arrived at a carrier facility.

Chelmsford, MA US

This happens all the time, both arriving and leaving a point on the package's route. How can something arrive at the same place twice, a day apart? Or leave someplace and then leave again ten hours later? I'm obviously not smart enough to understand how this works.

• Mind Blown 3
(edited)

Yeah, I've seen that weird tracking info several times. Can't explain it, kind of just gave up on that.  These days even with Prime, a package gets here when it gets here, no rhyme, no reason, or explanation.

Edited by Gramto6
  • Like 3

The more they jack up the price of Prime, the worse the shipping gets. I guess I should be happy the package is still in the general geographic area. I've had a few get to within a half hour of my house and then turn around and go to Kentucky. That happened for the second time a week ago.

Another mystery of the universe. Another thing to kvetch about.

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 2
  • LOL 1

Anyone else suddenly having trouble with "multi quote"?

Anyway - Oregon is another state where self-serve gas is prohibited, and between Oregon and New Jersey, I know which I would choose.  Oh, wait, I already did.  😄

• LOL 4
8 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I did!  So, I guess the smell of gas reminded me of two of my favorite men. Although I'm glad hubby sold his auto repair shop and the only cars he works on anymore are ours.

I decided to not do the car references, because nothing gets my engine going or gets me wound up like references.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

So this is going to sound so pathetic and needy, but does it ever annoy you when you do a post that you put a lot of thought into and absolutely nobody acknowledges it?

What really bothers me is when you (I) respond specifically and thoughtfully and non-snarkily to a post, and the original poster doesn't acknowledge the reply, even though you know they were notified of it because you quoted them.

So I guess I'll join you in the pathetic and needy corner.  I'll bring the chocolate if you like.

• Like 7
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
(edited)
1 hour ago, theredhead77 said:

I don't get notified when I'm quoted, only "liked". Maybe there is a bug and people aren't aware.

Curious.

Have you reported it on the bugs thread?

Edited by Leeds
21 minutes ago, Leeds said:

Curious.

Have you reported it on the bugs thread?

Nope. It doesn't bother me, I rarely look at notifications. FWIW I wasn't notified you quoted me. Feel free to use this as an example if you choose to report it.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Leeds said:

What really bothers me is when you (I) respond specifically and thoughtfully and non-snarkily to a post, and the original poster doesn't acknowledge the reply, even though you know they were notified of it because you quoted them.

So I guess I'll join you in the pathetic and needy corner.  I'll bring the chocolate if you like.

I respond about 99% of the time, but I’ll occasionally see a quote and not have the time to give a thoughtful response back and forget. I bet that happens to others here as well. The site is still not as easy for me to navigate as it used to be either.

If I’ve ever ignored anyone here, I’m so sorry! I always appreciate everyone and their feedback. That’s why I like so many posts. 

• Like 13
(edited)

Not getting a notification when someone quotes you or mentions you in their post may be because you don't have your preferences set to do that. You can change them by clicking on the little bell icon at the top of the page, then hit Notification Settings and scroll down to Notification Types Available. Or not, if you don't care.

Edited by Mondrianyone
for precision
  • Like 3
  • Useful 5
On 5/29/2023 at 7:23 AM, Browncoat said:

Related peeve, and one I've peeved about before, but since it's raining today, and I have a long drive this afternoon, it's worth repeating.  People who don't turn on their headlights in the rain!  No, y'all, your automatic lights do not always turn on your taillights.  Please do so manually so I can see you when you're driving below the speed limit in the left lane.

My husband assumed that the headlights automatically came on with the rain. I told him the automatic lights were controlled by the amount of sunlight, not the weather forecast. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 8
3 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

Not getting a notification when someone quotes you or mentions you in their post may be because you don't have your preferences set to do that. You can change them by clicking on the little bell icon at the top of the page, then hit Notification Settings and scroll down to Notification Types Available. Or not, if you don't care.

Huh. Mine was off. I must have disabled it at some point. 

30 minutes ago, KittyMom4 said:

My husband assumed that the headlights automatically came on with the rain. I told him the automatic lights were controlled by the amount of sunlight, not the weather forecast. 

I'm annoyed that the amount of cloud cover when it rains isn't enough darkness to trigger automatic headlights. I also wish cars would turn on the lights when you trigger the wipers. Not for window cleaning spray, but when you turn them on to run.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

Come to Canada, where the law requires all vehicles to have daytime running lights - activated as soon as the engine is turned on. Granted, many Canadians don't realize that doesn't activate the tail lights as well, but it's better than nothing. 

• Like 4
8 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

I'm annoyed that the amount of cloud cover when it rains isn't enough darkness to trigger automatic headlights. I also wish cars would turn on the lights when you trigger the wipers. Not for window cleaning spray, but when you turn them on to run.

Me too. For me it is about my visibility to other drivers. I'm always amazed at people who drive at dawn/dusk with no headlights/running lights. Visibility is so poor and if your vehicle is dark colored it's even worse. I almost pulled out in front of a vehicle one time because the lighting was just right and the car blended in. If I hadn't seen a reflection from a porch light on the vehicle they would have t-boned me. 

• Like 3
16 hours ago, Leeds said:

Whoops, maybe that’s me. I’m sure I’ve posted something, then someone quotes me to add thoughts or agree or disagree, but unless I have something new to add, I’m probably not going to reply back. I might give it a “like” to acknowledge that I’ve seen it (assuming I actually do like it) but otherwise I figure we’ve both said our piece and it’s time to move on. I’m thinking of the “thank you for your thank-you note” situation. 

I guess everyone has different expectations, but I wouldn’t read too much into it.

But I’ll never argue with chocolate!

• Like 7
28 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I’m sure I’ve posted something, then someone quotes me to add thoughts or agree or disagree, but unless I have something new to add, I’m probably not going to reply back. I might give it a “like” to acknowledge that I’ve seen it (assuming I actually do like it) but otherwise I figure we’ve both said our piece and it’s time to move on.

Same here, especially if we agree and the response just gave additional examples of whatever we're talking about.

• Like 3
(edited)
4 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Whoops, maybe that’s me. I’m sure I’ve posted something, then someone quotes me to add thoughts or agree or disagree, but unless I have something new to add, I’m probably not going to reply back. I might give it a “like” to acknowledge that I’ve seen it (assuming I actually do like it) but otherwise I figure we’ve both said our piece and it’s time to move on. I’m thinking of the “thank you for your thank-you note” situation. 

That's my policy too.  Beyond acknowledgement with a "like" or really adding to the discussion seems awkward.

Edited by Suzn
  • Like 3
2 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I guess everyone has different expectations, but I wouldn’t read too much into it.

But I’ll never argue with chocolate!

Just to clarify, I'm definitely not looking for a "Thank you, no thank you, no thank you . . ." kind of scenario, but I do think the 💗 is a handy and easy response.  And makes me feel loved in my pathetic and lonely little corner of the world if I get one (cue world's smallest violin).

• Love 11
6 hours ago, KittyMom4 said:

I'm about to buy my first car in 30 years. Whatever happened to just turning on the lights? Is that too much to ask these days? 

My old-fashioned ass doesn't trust those automatic lights anyway and I just turn them on. 

I suspect your husband isn't alone in this.

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
6 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

I'm annoyed that the amount of cloud cover when it rains isn't enough darkness to trigger automatic headlights. I also wish cars would turn on the lights when you trigger the wipers. Not for window cleaning spray, but when you turn them on to run

My car does turn on the lights when I turn on the wipers, and my car is 10 years old.  I have to hope that any car newer than that also has that built it.  

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
35 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

My car does turn on the lights when I turn on the wipers, and my car is 10 years old.  I have to hope that any car newer than that also has that built it.

Mine has automatic lights and automatic wipers (if you opt for those settings), but no provision for the lights coming on whenever you turn on the wipers.  It's 15 years old, though.  Like you, I hope that's a common feature by now.

(Here in CA, it's law that if weather conditions require the use of your wipers, you have to turn on the lights, too.  So I'm used to doing it manually.  But it should be automatic.)

• Like 5
On 5/30/2023 at 11:06 PM, Leeds said:

I turned off my notifications when I was extremely overwhelmed, and forgot to turn them back on. I have all notifications turned off on my phone, except for texts from specific people. I don't mean to ignore anyone. 

Before that, I did have some social anxiety over posting anything, as I always do. People have assumed that I'm arguing, when I'm not, or I worry that I'm always venting, etc. I'm talking about anywhere on the internet. I once had a friend assume that I was really upset, when we were disagreeing on something, on a different board, and I was extremely calm. I never want to make anyone feel bad, so I'm sorry if I've missed anything, or was too lost emotionally to really deal with anything. 

That is one reason that I've thought about shutting down social media. It's one of those things where a lot of people see online friends as disposable, and with everything that's happened in the world, and personally, I just want to shut things out for a while. Paying attention to what's needed, but I also don't want to cut myself off completely. It just messes with my head sometimes, and I need to feel more grounded. I have a friend going through radiation, and another died in March. He's going to be cremated next week, and I don't know if we can afford to send flowers now. I was so shocked when I found out that he'd died. He was 49, older than me, and my neighbour when I was a teenager. his brother shares my birthday, same day and year. I've only known about these things happening, because of facebook. So, I might just set a time each day, to check for updates. 

• Hugs 6
  • Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, Anela said:

I turned off my notifications when I was extremely overwhelmed, and forgot to turn them back on. I have all notifications turned off on my phone, except for texts from specific people. I don't mean to ignore anyone. 

Before that, I did have some social anxiety over posting anything, as I always do. People have assumed that I'm arguing, when I'm not, or I worry that I'm always venting, etc. I'm talking about anywhere on the internet. I once had a friend assume that I was really upset, when we were disagreeing on something, on a different board, and I was extremely calm. I never want to make anyone feel bad, so I'm sorry if I've missed anything, or was too lost emotionally to really deal with anything. 

That is one reason that I've thought about shutting down social media. It's one of those things where a lot of people see online friends as disposable, and with everything that's happened in the world, and personally, I just want to shut things out for a while. Paying attention to what's needed, but I also don't want to cut myself off completely. It just messes with my head sometimes, and I need to feel more grounded. I have a friend going through radiation, and another died in March. He's going to be cremated next week, and I don't know if we can afford to send flowers now. I was so shocked when I found out that he'd died. He was 49, older than me, and my neighbour when I was a teenager. his brother shares my birthday, same day and year. I've only known about these things happening, because of facebook. So, I might just set a time each day, to check for updates. 

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend.  Please don't beat yourself if you can't afford flowers - they can actually be overwhelming for the mourners and anyway, they're ephemeral. A thoughtful note in a card can be much more meaningful and is something the family can take solace from in re-reading.  Also, taking the time to share specific happy/funny/meaningful memories is a wonderful thing you can do, either in writing or in person, if possible.

I'm all in favour of taking periodic breaks from Facebook, and often I will go on and just check on a couple of specific friends/family members to see what they're up to, but basically skip whatever the algorithm thinks I want to see.  I have beyond a Peeve at the lies that are spread and believed by people using Facebook.

I hope your friend's radiation is successful.

Edited by Leeds
  • Like 7

The soda vending machine in the break room has sodas priced at 85 cents. Why not 75 or $1? And, as I put my dollar bill in, found it doesn’t make change and gives back 4 quarters….🙄 Luckily, I had a dime in my wallet so I could get a stupid soda!

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 2
1 hour ago, chitowngirl said:

The soda vending machine in the break room has sodas priced at 85 cents. Why not 75 or $1? And, as I put my dollar bill in, found it doesn’t make change and gives back 4 quarters….🙄 Luckily, I had a dime in my wallet so I could get a stupid soda!

I will take this and raise you, why do retailers price things at $2.99, $10.99, etc.??? I know it was once based on people seeing $1.00 instead of $2.00 but jeez louise, it's 2023, can't we just simplify things now? 

• Like 5
  • Useful 2

Back when people paid with cash, it meant cashiers had to open the register drawer in order to make change, so they couldn't just pocket the cash and void the sale.

• Like 3
  • Useful 6
4 hours ago, KittyMom4 said:

I will take this and raise you, why do retailers price things at $2.99, $10.99, etc.??? I know it was once based on people seeing $1.00 instead of $2.00 but jeez louise, it's 2023, can't we just simplify things now? 

It's certainly annoying, especially for those of us who process $2.99 as $3 when we see it!

But it's not going away anytime soon. There is a whole bunch of information and studies about the psychology of pricing.

It's not just ending prices in 99. There are also things like "10 for $10!" and "Buy one, get one free!".  The former makes people buy 10, even if there is no rule that says you have to do so to get the $1 per unit price. The latter works, because everybody likes getting things for free.

Another one that works is "Limit of 4 per customer!"  This one makes us think it's a good deal, so we better scoop up 4 before that deal expires.

As for the 99, people haven't stopped reading things from left to right, so they still see the 16 in $16.99. At this point, the .99 is still very effective for a bunch of reasons. 

People have seen the .99 for a long time, so we are conditioned to associate it with a deal. If the price is .97 or .94, it's less effective because it makes people stop and evaluate how much money they're about to spend. 

Luxury items do better when they don't use the 99. Samsung phones sell better when they are $799, but iPhones sell better at $800.

The 99 also gets in the way when the idea is to show a customer how much a price is reduced. If you want people to immediately recognize that they're getting $15 off of the original price, it's way better to show it as "$50 Now $35!" than something like "$47.99 Now $32.99!" 

Interestingly, people who are good with numbers tend to see $10.99 as $11, and people who are not as good with numbers see $10.99 as $10.

There is also a thing with setting prices called fluent numbers, meaning numbers people are used to seeing being preferable.  So fluent numbers would be 16, 18, 20 and 13, 17, and 19 are not.  

If you are selling something worth $17 to people who are probably good with numbers (let's say you are selling pocket protectors at an engineering school) you'll want to set your price at $17.99 because the math nerds will see it as $18, a nice fluid number. However if you're selling dream catchers at the Love Festival, you'll want to price them at $16.99, which the artsy-fartsy nerds will see as a nice fluid $16. (And yes, I am aware that some artsy-fartsy nerds are also good with numbers, but I needed an example.)

• Like 8
  • Useful 3
3 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

Luxury items do better when they don't use the 99. Samsung phones sell better when they are $799, but iPhones sell better at $800.

So you're saying Samsung phones are a necessity but iPhones are a luxury at one dollar more and sell more?  My Winnie the Pooh brain can't compute.

12 minutes ago, nokat said:

I will have trouble going from soda to pop.

I think I'm missing some information here.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

Having just bought a new iPhone, they are pricing them with the 99.  As well as charging excessive amounts for the accessories.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 4
2 hours ago, nokat said:

I will have trouble going from soda to pop.

I grew up using soft drink.  Moved to Ontario and learned fast that, at least in my part of Ontario, asking for a soft drink gets you a puzzled stare!

• LOL 5
25 minutes ago, Bethany said:

I grew up using soft drink.  Moved to Ontario and learned fast that, at least in my part of Ontario, asking for a soft drink gets you a puzzled stare!

As a New Yorker, I grew up calling it soda, but when I moved to Massachusetts, people said  "Soda is something you take for a sick stomach.  What you want is tonic" (pronounced: tawwwnic). 

• LOL 7
34 minutes ago, Bethany said:

LOL, similar thing happened to me once. I'm from the Midwest, and it's "pop" all the way here. When I was a kid, I called it "soda' once and everyone looked at me like, "???"

• LOL 5

In old movies they sometimes say soda pop.  Does anyone say that in real life?

32 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

As a New Yorker, I grew up calling it soda, but when I moved to Massachusetts, people said  "Soda is something you take for a sick stomach.  What you want is tonic" (pronounced: tawwwnic). 

This makes no sense!  A tonic would be more likely to be a health remedy! 

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, EtheltoTillie said:

This makes no sense!  A tonic would be more likely to be a health remedy! 

And that's what I said.  Tawwwnic indeed. And they had the nerve to make fun of the way I tawked!!

Edited by annzeepark914
  • LOL 5

I learned quickly when visiting Newfoundland (as an example) not to ever ask for seltzer.  It seems to be pop in many areas, I have never heard it in New York or New England though.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Soda to pop:  US regional differences in terms for soda.  Some regions use pop.  Nokat must be moving.

People in the US laughed because they know. Thanks for explaining.

• Like 4
11 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

Pop doesn’t sound right.

That's how I felt at first too.  You do adjust after awhile though.  Of course it helps that I now never drink it so the odds of me asking for it are pretty much nil!

• Like 3
  • LOL 2
10 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Coke is Southern. 

I don't think it is limited to the south. I grew up going to Nova Scotia and they'd always ask what sort of Coke I want, meaning Coke, Sprite, etc...

4 minutes ago, PRgal said:

I thought Coke was specific to Georgia only.

Ironically enough, despite the Coke HQ being in Atlanta, no one ever asked me what type of Coke I wanted when I ordered a coke. I also never heard anyone call soda "pop".

• Like 2
38 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

I grew up going to Nova Scotia and they'd always ask what sort of Coke I want, meaning Coke, Sprite, etc...

I have family in Nova Scotia and I always heard pop.  Mind you what I always ordered back then was McKinley's Iron Brew.  We used to come home from vacation with cases of the stuff.  

• Like 1