Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,
  • Start Topic

5 minutes ago, Anela said:

This is my only complaint, too. 

I love the dark mode. 

If you go to the top of the page, to the left of your username there is a sun, click it it and it will change to a moon. Voila! Midnight mode is back. Thanks, GHScorpio!

2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I love it because all those gifs and unnecessary information that took up space in the right margin is gone.

I never saw that, because I have my browser's zoom set to 170% (I cannot fucking see), but glad to hear they got rid of it as it was stupid. 

I don't like all this white with splashes of rainbow, but I'll get used to it.  I haven't yet come across anything I like that's missing, but it's early.

I do hate with the heat of a nova the stupid column layout of my home page, though.  Yet I can't edit my post to say that as I have no edit button, so hopefully this merges.  (Ah, I've found it -- you have to hit the ... menu to get a drop-down and then select Edit.  Yeah, that's wise, make one of the most-common functions a two-step process rather than one.)

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 2
  • Fire 1
Just now, Bastet said:

I never saw that, because I have my browser's zoom set to 170% (I cannot fucking see), but glad to hear they got rid of it as it was stupid. 

I don't like all this white with splashes of rainbow, but I'll get used to it.  I haven't yet come across anything I like that's missing, but it's early.

Okay, I misspoke. I now see that they're back. Phooey. Along with the "top posts by" and snippets of the recent comments.

• Like 1

Racoons. The bandits invaded my house a over a year ago ago. And had a litter in the attic. Then they left. Finally got the roof repaired  (cuz there was a foot square hole due to damage to roof vent). But seems roofer left a racoon inside - it has now destroyed rear roof vent to escape.

• Mind Blown 4
  • Hugs 1
  • Sad 1

I strongly dislike the film layers they put over food (such as the mozzarella mini balls) that you have to peel off. I understand they are there to help avoid spillage. The same irk with the brands of cat food that have that foil covering that needs to be pulled off. They are not easy for my hands. Tonight I gave up uncovering the mozzarella after a 5 minute struggle and just cut through it with a knife. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2
31 minutes ago, Leeds said:

"film layer"?

The plastic film they cover cheese and yogurt containers with, I'm guessing?

I hate them on those mozzarella containers if there's no actual lid on top.  I might be eating these over a few days, and might not want to put them in a new container!

• Like 3
11 hours ago, PRgal said:

The plastic film they cover cheese and yogurt containers with, I'm guessing?

Yes, but they also have a lid. I’m sure it’s to keep the liquid from spilling out. It’s just so darn hard to peel back. 

• Useful 2
10 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

This is petty but ppl who pronounce every “s” as “sh”. Like “jushh-t” or “coshhh-tumes”. It sounds like a weird affectation.

It grates on my nerves too. I've noticed that a lot of times it's because their dentures don't fit properly or they got those oversized veneers that seem so popular now.

Edited by SweetieDarling
  • Like 2
  • Useful 3
15 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I strongly dislike the film layers they put over food (such as the mozzarella mini balls) that you have to peel off. I understand they are there to help avoid spillage. The same irk with the brands of cat food that have that foil covering that needs to be pulled off. They are not easy for my hands. Tonight I gave up uncovering the mozzarella after a 5 minute struggle and just cut through it with a knife. 

I always use a knife. It’s very hard to remove it just using your hands.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

I know this is just people doing whatever it is they do, but man... 

Driving this morning, I'm heading towards a red light. The light has three lanes. Left - Left turn only. Center - Straight only. Right - Straight or Right turn.

The two strait lanes will merge down into one lane in about a quarter mile, and after that the next several miles to my house is a 55 mph road with mostly a double yellow line.

Stopped at the light: Right lane - School Bus.  Center Lane - Two cars next to the bus.

Me: Chooses the center lane behind the two cars, assuming/hoping that the cars will likely move more quickly than the school bus.

First car in the line: Proceeds to go approximately 2 mph faster than the school bus, who is not exactly breaking any land speed records as was expected. 

Second car in line: "Well, that first car isn't giving me any space to also pass the bus, so I'll just 25 mph until the end of the two lane road, where I'm turning off anyway.

Me: Stuck behind a school bus all the way home. 

• Sad 6
5 hours ago, SweetieDarling said:

It grates on my nerves too. I've noticed that a lot of times it's because their dentures don't fit properly or they got those oversized veneers that seem so popular now.

It really grinds my gears when they pronounce it with another actual "sh" sound. Like "cash regishhhh-ter."

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
12 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

I always use a knife. It’s very hard to remove it just using your hands.

I bet emergency rooms see a LOT of people with blood gushing from their hand where they stabbed themselves trying to get the seals off bottles, jars, and other food containers.  I hate the ones that have the little tab that you're supposed to pull to remove the seal.  For me, either the tabs are too small for me to grip or they tear off, and the seal remains.  

Earlier this week I was in the office and a co-worker had a dozen or so candy canes in a dish on her desk.  She offered me one and then I spent the next 5 to 7 minutes trying to get the cellophane wrapper off the darn thing.  When I finally did so, she said they were a special sweet treat for the holidays because they were only 45 calories but you burn twice that getting it unwrapped!  

• Like 2
  • LOL 12

Thermostats/Furnaces not working! BOOO! First, the thermostat had a totally blank display, so  Mama tried to call the installer but got nothing but a recorded message. Long-short is that I had to do the YouTube thing to see how to take it off the wall to change the battery to try to get it to work. Well, turns out the battery compartments were empty but I put the batteries in and got the display to work.  Yay. But despite it saying 'Heat' and 'Fan On', the furnace  still didn't come on. Oh and it took over an hour of waiting to get a human to FINALLY return the call despite my stressing Mama's 90-something age! Even with this pleading about said age, I still just got told that they they'll be out 'sometime today' but didn't give any kind of timeframe but would let me know.And, yes, our city got hit with the Polar Blast last night with single Fahrenheit digits outside.

I know that I can't solve this by venting but I hope my 'hot air' somehow results in heat returning inside!

• Mind Blown 1
  • Hugs 3
  • Sad 4
4 hours ago, Blergh said:

Thermostats/Furnaces not working! BOOO! First, the thermostat had a totally blank display, so  Mama tried to call the installer but got nothing but a recorded message. Long-short is that I had to do the YouTube thing to see how to take it off the wall to change the battery to try to get it to work. Well, turns out the battery compartments were empty but I put the batteries in and got the display to work.  Yay. But despite it saying 'Heat' and 'Fan On', the furnace  still didn't come on. Oh and it took over an hour of waiting to get a human to FINALLY return the call despite my stressing Mama's 90-something age! Even with this pleading about said age, I still just got told that they they'll be out 'sometime today' but didn't give any kind of timeframe but would let me know.And, yes, our city got hit with the Polar Blast last night with single Fahrenheit digits outside.

I know that I can't solve this by venting but I hope my 'hot air' somehow results in heat returning inside!

Geez, Blergh...this sounds awful. Yeah, the squeaking wheel gets oiled, so good for you for letting them know this is one real deal emergency. Maybe you lit a "fire" under them.  Good luck🤞🙏🍀 

• Fire 1
  • Love 3

Wind blowing (my weather app states 50mph and I believe it!) but luckily I wrapped my wreaths firmly around and under my patio railings that they are still intact! But don’t be teasing me with the 30% chance of “heavy” ❄️ when you turn around and say “No accumulation” expected! If ❄️ is coming, I want SNOW Dammit! Like at least a foot! None of this “frozen mixture” nonsense.

• Like 3
  • LOL 2
18 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Geez, Blergh...this sounds awful. Yeah, the squeaking wheel gets oiled, so good for you for letting them know this is one real deal emergency. Maybe you lit a "fire" under them.  Good luck🤞🙏🍀 

The good news is that Company B DID come out and service the furnace about 9AM after the dispatcher let us know that the repairer was on their way. The annoying news the furnace shutting off AND the thermostat turned out to have been from the condensation hose (?) getting frozen close to where it entered the basement and it had to be replaced with the new one insulated,etc. Company A had installed the furnace last year and had NOT done anything to insulate anything. It was only because Company B had installed our generator (and had experience with furnaces) that we called them. Thankfully, things have warmed up since then.  Company A STILL has not responded to any messages on their 'Emergency Message Service'. Thankfully, Company B's generator works because the city power went out right in the middle of typing this reply.

2 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Wind blowing (my weather app states 50mph and I believe it!) but luckily I wrapped my wreaths firmly around and under my patio railings that they are still intact! But don’t be teasing me with the 30% chance of “heavy” ❄️ when you turn around and say “No accumulation” expected! If ❄️ is coming, I want SNOW Dammit! Like at least a foot! None of this “frozen mixture” nonsense.

I've got some errands to do today so I NEED to get out of the house (once I'm sure everything's peachy keen with the furnace [though they say I'll need to keep a close watch on that condensation tube during this below freezing spell ].  At least where I am, there appears to be a small amount of thin patchy ice beneath a  tiny bit of white stuff. IOW, I need to SEE it when I drive.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Same weather here in the metro DC area. After parking my car outside the physical therapy bldg, I grabbed my umbrella but didn't dare open it. Wrapped a wool scarf around my head & almost ran to the bldg, looking like an old woman from the 1920's (or Jackie O or QEII 😁). I agree--if we're going to suffer such cold windy temps, let it be with snow for Christmas, please ❄️☃️

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Same weather here in the metro DC area. After parking my car outside the physical therapy bldg, I grabbed my umbrella but didn't dare open it. Wrapped a wool scarf around my head & almost ran to the bldg, looking like an old woman from the 1920's (or Jackie O or QEII 😁). I agree--if we're going to suffer such cold windy temps, let it be with snow for Christmas, please ❄️☃️

Well HOWDY, Neighbor! I live in Rockville!

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I'm in between Oakton & Fairfax, where bears climb up on our deck 🙀.Yeah...today was wild with icy rain slamming against windows. Happy Holidays, neighbor ☺️.

PFFT. That’s about a half hour drive or so from my end of Rockville!😄

Same to you!

• Like 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Merry Christmas, Peevers!

I'm still peeved about that opening screen alphabetical order mess, and I see that lots of others have agreed.   We need to keep up whatever protest is needed.  I don't know why they haven't responded to this. 

When this site was called Previously, I used to refer to us as Preverts. 

Merry, Happy to everybody!

• Like 5
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 6

Posting peeve at myself: when you get notifications to a post that you accidentally posted in the wrong thread (instead of the peeve thread) and find it has been deleted. I posted about a relatively new acquaintance being miserable no matter where they were and it got deleted. Off topic I guess🤷‍♀️

Edited by stewedsquash
  • Like 1
  • Hugs 1
On 12/24/2022 at 9:46 AM, stewedsquash said:

Minority opinion but I like the new alphabet listings.

Would you be willing to try to explain why you like it?  Not trying to argue with you!  I'm just wondering if there's some advantage to it (compared to the old format) that I'm not appreciating.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

The chip canisters were 1/3 empty! Both of them.

Aren't they usually about 1/3 empty due to packaging and sold by weight? Regardless, TJs return policy is fantastic. Bring them back the next time you go over there and get a refund.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Would you be willing to try to explain why you like it?  Not trying to argue with you!  I'm just wondering if there's some advantage to it (compared to the old format) that I'm not appreciating.

I don’t mind but after re-reading the quoted post I am not sure we are talking about the same page. What page are you talking about? 

On 12/24/2022 at 9:34 AM, EtheltoTillie said:

Merry Christmas, Peevers!

I'm still peeved about that opening screen alphabetical order mess, and I see that lots of others have agreed.   We need to keep up whatever protest is needed.  I don't know why they haven't responded to this. 

On 12/24/2022 at 9:46 AM, stewedsquash said:

Minority opinion but I like the new alphabet listings.

15 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

8 hours ago, stewedsquash said:

I don’t mind but after re-reading the quoted post I am not sure we are talking about the same page. What page are you talking about? 

@stewedsquash I was talking about the new version of the "your shows" home page (what used to be called the Customized Home Page).  I and others were complaining about how the shows are now alphabetized in columns going down-then-across, so you have to scroll up and down and up and down... if you want to see them in alphabetical order.  I know you can look across the top to see what letters are in which column but my brain is having trouble adjusting to that.  Are you talking about some different page?

image.thumb.png.f9db7d0016e0afc76d3f9f089b0d89db.png

59 minutes ago, supposebly said:

I don't remember it being any different? It was alphabetical before, no?🤔

Yes,l but it was alphabetical from top to bottom.  Now it goes in weird columns, so you have to scroll up and down a million times to get to the letter of the alphabet you need. 

• Like 5
1 hour ago, supposebly said:

I don't remember it being any different? It was alphabetical before, no?🤔

41 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Yes,l but it was alphabetical from top to bottom.  Now it goes in weird columns, so you have to scroll up and down a million times to get to the letter of the alphabet you need. 

To be fair, it might not make much difference to people who don't follow many shows or don't use the home page as their jumping off point to see what's new.  I basically follow any shows I watch, have ever watched, or think I might want to watch.  So if a show is showing up in bold on my home page, I can check out what's new if I think I might be interested.  I only turn on notifications for things where I'm quoted/tagged/reacted to, or things (like movies, food subforums, etc.) that don't show up on the home page.

So bottom line, if you only have a few shows and you can see them without scrolling, it might not matter to you.  I have a lot of shows on my home page, so my brain wants to see all the A's, all the B's, etc. before skipping to the next quarter/half of the alphabet.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
45 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I guess it didn't make much of an impact on me.😉

This recent winter storm across North America reminded me of my Pet Peeve, well, it's quite a peeve ever since I moved to Canada from Germany. Powerlines above ground.

Isn't it time to seriously consider putting them under in cities?

Wouldn't that significantly reduce the number of people being out of power every time a storm of some kind hits?

And make it so much faster to get the power back if you only need to take care of downed big power lines leading into cities insted of every small one that gets downed within city borders?

• Like 2
  • Applause 6
32 minutes ago, supposebly said:

I guess it didn't make much of an impact on me.😉

This recent winter storm across North America reminded me of my Pet Peeve, well, it's quite a peeve ever since I moved to Canada from Germany. Powerlines above ground.

Isn't it time to seriously consider putting them under in cities?

Wouldn't that significantly reduce the number of people being out of power every time a storm of some kind hits?

And make it so much faster to get the power back if you only need to take care of downed big power lines leading into cities insted of every small one that gets downed within city borders?

I live in a new-ish (20 years old) development in an exurb and I'm grateful every time a big storm comes through that our power lines are underground.  We rarely lose power here and if we do it's usually only for a few hours at most, but the older homes outside the development have above ground power lines and I'll hear their generators running for days.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 2
2 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

@stewedsquash I was talking about the new version of the "your shows" home page (what used to be called the Customized Home Page).  I and others were complaining about how the shows are now alphabetized in columns going down-then-across, so you have to scroll up and down and up and down... if you want to see them in alphabetical order.  I know you can look across the top to see what letters are in which column but my brain is having trouble adjusting to that.  Are you talking about some different page?

image.thumb.png.f9db7d0016e0afc76d3f9f089b0d89db.png

24 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

To be fair, it might not make much difference to people who don't follow many shows or don't use the home page as their jumping off point to see what's new.  I basically follow any shows I watch, have ever watched, or think I might want to watch.  So if a show is showing up in bold on my home page, I can check out what's new if I think I might be interested.  I only turn on notifications for things where I'm quoted/tagged/reacted to, or things (like movies, food subforums, etc.) that don't show up on the home page.

So bottom line, if you only have a few shows and you can see them without scrolling, it might not matter to you.  I have a lot of shows on my home page, so my brain wants to see all the A's, all the B's, etc. before skipping to the next quarter/half of the alphabet.

Ok yes we are talking about the same pages. I guess it doesn’t bother me because I don’t scroll up and down to complete each column? If I see A I S at the top then I know which column I need to look down to get to the letter I need. If I am browsing I still read it as all abc order just broken up in columns that are still easy to follow alphabetically. I have quite a few shows on my list. 
It’s a sensory issue for me I guess. Perhaps and opposite one from you? When I am visualizing now how I use the AIS route I feel fine. When I visualize how others want it, all A’s across then all B’s and so on I feel a bit of motion sickness. 
Or it could be that I am left handed. I tend to be different in many ways you wouldn’t expect by being left handed. Not joking.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
4 minutes ago, stewedsquash said:

Or it could be that I am left handed. I tend to be different in many ways you wouldn’t expect by being left handed. Not joking.

I'm left-handed, too, and the new layout makes no sense at all to me, either visually or cognitively. It doesn't save any space laterally across the page, which you'd think would be the reason for it. That motion sickness you mention is exactly what I experience when I try to read the page, something that worked perfectly in the prior format. To me the whole rearrangement feels like a case of someone justifying a paycheck rather than a thoughtful redesign geared to serving readers.

• Like 5
13 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

I'm left-handed, too, and the new layout makes no sense at all to me, either visually or cognitively. It doesn't save any space laterally across the page, which you'd think would be the reason for it. That motion sickness you mention is exactly what I experience when I try to read the page, something that worked perfectly in the prior format. To me the whole rearrangement feels like a case of someone justifying a paycheck rather than a thoughtful redesign geared to serving readers.

Ha okay on nixing my left hand theory. Maybe it’s because I am a happy southerner? No snark, there has to be a reason that I am the outlier because what others describe as what they want makes me swirly. I am doing mental shenanigans to put a hex on any changes from the way it is now.

Edited by stewedsquash
Added “me”
  • LOL 2

My brain is telling me something is off about the new layout but I can't put my finger on it. It's like an "uncanny valley" experience on a website.

I feel it more when I am mobile but at the end of the day the day, whenever any website has a major overhaul it takes awhile to get used to and the old version becomes a faded memory.

Edited by theredhead77
  • Like 2