Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,
  • Start Topic

5 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

This quote from a totally different forum includes at least five of my grammar peeves.  And, anonymous poster, you are also on this forum, I apologize - I'm sure you were in a hurry and dang auto-correct.

That quote makes me twitchy.

• LOL 1
19 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

This quote from a totally different forum includes at least five of my grammar peeves.  And, anonymous poster, if you are also on this forum, I apologize - I'm sure you were in a hurry and dang auto-correct.

That is just horrific.

• Love 4
On 9/22/2021 at 10:40 PM, SuprSuprElevated said:

Today's pet peeve is a pet 😾 peeve.  I am good 'n damned sick 'n tired of not being able to easily (or even moderately) find my cats' preferred food.  I'm traversing the county bi-monthly to 4-5 stores, just to get enough inventory to feed them.  We're closing in on two years of this chit now, and I would like these manufacturers/distributors/importers/transporters/retailers to figure it the f*ck out.  The photo is from today's effort, at a large midwestern/Great Lakes regional supermarket chain.  Every store I go to, looks very similar.

Thanks for the rant space.

As someone who manages this as my job.  I work in a hell dimension you cannot imagine.  Its not going to get better any time soon.  Its going to get worse. And there is not one damn thing I can do about it.

I would simultaneously like to suggest consumers to stop buying stuff and suggest some light hoarding. I personally endeavored in some light hoarding last weekend because I know too much. 

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Useful 3
6 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I have had to step into ^that space for the last year and a half.  I have tried more varieties/brands than I can count in an attempt to increase the available choices, but I'm getting dirty looks every time.  That plus I am not of independent wealth, and cannot spend an infinite $$ for higher end alternatives which have not been tried.  All I need is for them to decide they loooove that $2/can Special Kitty manna from heaven.  Four cans per day = no bueno gatos.

I am feeding 5 ferrals and one that comes by occasionally, so 6 cats. At night a couple of raccoons come by and finish any leftovers. 3 are kittens, one is the mama and another is an old guy that has been here 12+ years, the occasional visitor is the daddy of the kittens. These sweeties will eat anything I put out for them, but boy oh by do they eat a lot!! I can't afford to spend money on expensive food for them, I buy cases of wet food at the store and 16# bags of dry food every couple of weeks, at least they are also voracious hunters and I have watched a couple throwing mice up in the air and charging them repeatedly.

Fortunately no cat food scarcity here. (To keep on topic here.)

These are ferrals not house cats...I can't get close to any one them except the mama who was my neighbor's daughter's cat (they have not offered any help in the feeding of the kittens). She'd move in a heartbeat, but I have watched her in the yard and she is so protective of her babies, I couldn't take her away from them.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

“Prolly” is on my list of peeves now! It is so stupid!

For some reason, that’s the one that annoys me the most. Maybe because I’ve heard people use it in conversation, I think some people who use it may truly think that is how “probably” is spelled. 

"Prolly" doesn't bother me. I read/hear it as a regional/dialectic variance being spelled out. 
And it's not grammatically incorrect.

But I don't think there's any hope for me ever getting past the use of "I" for "me."
I'm more tolerant of "me" for "I" because it seems like slang, so you'd think I wouldn't cringe at the reverse incorrect usage--but I do. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 4
17 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

But I don't think there's any hope for me ever getting past the use of "I" for "me."
I'm more tolerant of "me" for "I" because it seems like slang, so you'd think I wouldn't cringe at the reverse incorrect usage--but I do. 

I'm just the opposite.  I don't love I for me, but for some reason I won't go inwardly postal when I hear it.   But, "me and the Scarecrow are going to see the wizard" would bug me all day long.  I think it's because my friend starts almost every sentence with "Me and the scarecrow went to the movies."  "Me and Toto went to the beach."  "Me and the tin man had a fight."  Ugh, just once say Uncle Henry and I.  Just once.  Or say I went to the movies with Glinda. I'm fighting with the Cowardly Lion.  I don't care. Just enough with the me and so and so.

I thought a grammar rant might be less annoying if sprinkled with Wizard of Oz names.

• LOL 6
47 minutes ago, Katy M said:

..."me and the Scarecrow are going to see the wizard" would bug me all day long.  I think it's because my friend starts almost every sentence with "Me and the scarecrow went to the movies."  "Me and Toto went to the beach."  "Me and the tin man had a fight."  Ugh, just once say Uncle Henry and I.  Just once.  Or say I went to the movies with Glinda. I'm fighting with the Cowardly Lion.  I don't care. Just enough with the me and so and so.
I thought a grammar rant might be less annoying if sprinkled with Wizard of Oz names.

I love it! Bet it would go viral on social media too if you save it as a screen grab.
But then The Wizard of Oz is the only movie I've seen more than 2 or 3 times.

ETA: Because PhotoShop is my anti-anxiety medicine (because you can undo crap) I have created the meme image. Sorry for my tendency to over-punctuate; I tried to hold it in check:

pet-peeves.jpg.0bbba43acea53ba6080e9d0440e76d82.jpg

P.S.: Considered changing the last line to "Me and the Munchkins..."

Edited by shapeshifter
  • LOL 3
10 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

As someone who manages this as my job.  I work in a hell dimension you cannot imagine.  Its not going to get better any time soon.  Its going to get worse. And there is not one damn thing I can do about it.

I would simultaneously like to suggest consumers to stop buying stuff and suggest some light hoarding. I personally endeavored in some light hoarding last weekend because I know too much. 

My intellectual self knows, deep down, that all or most of ^those folks would love to see the problem fixed.  Sometimes, my emotional self just needs to go through the process of putting it in writing.  No offense intended.  Truly.

I too know it is going to get worse.  It's being engineered so.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

It's being engineered so.

Now you sound like me, @SuprSuprElevated, when my daughter tells me "not everyone's out to get you," which often feels like gaslighting, because sometimes they aren't necessarily out to get us, but out to get more $$$ for themselves, and "they" are not the folks actually stocking the shelves, or delivering the kitty food, or steering the boats of kitty food, but "they" are ultimately working to syphon that money from the pockets of kitty owners who they probably don't even see as individuals. </end empty kitty food shelf rant>
Glad I have plenty of toilet paper, paper towels, and kleenex.

• Love 3

How can it be so impossible (I realize that there are not really degrees of "impossible") to contact someone at the NJ Dep't of Labor? I can't imagine how it must feel to be someone in greater need of help than I am right now. All I am trying to do is alert someone that I have never applied for unemployment, yet it seems that someone is collecting it in my name. Don't worry, I have already done all the claim stuff, but (and this quality about myself may also be a big peeve), each time something else shows up in the mail, I get super-tense and want to actually talk to someone! But I can't; the recorded messages literally say they are not taking calls. And if I can't, someone who is seriously hurting right now probably can't either.

And please not that I was easily able to fully type out "probably," haha!

Also, wait, what? "It's going to get worse"? "It's all being engineered"? What the hell are we talking about now -- my OCD/anxiety can't deal with these phrases!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 2

Various pet peeves about semantics:

Why must newspapers and news programs say "jab" for Covid vaccines?  Did you get the jab?  He was double jabbed.   Yech.

Students don't want a part time job anymore--they want an "internship."  Seems to be a better resume builder.

This may explain why I can't hire a law student to work part time in my office.  This used to be easy.

Only one student here in NYC has even demonstrated interest.  I'm waiting to meet with her.  I've posted at all our various local law schools.  This is a paid job, not an internship.  Although you'd learn plenty.  I was persuaded to list the job as an internship. 

Why did the world start to use the word "role" instead of "job" or "position"?  I see it everywhere.  I'm just too old now. 

Edited by GussieK
  • Love 3
10 minutes ago, GussieK said:

This may explain why I can't hire a law student to work part time in my office.  This used to be easy.

As a retired librarian I'd love a job like that. I'm not in your neighborhood, but I bet there are a lot of folks like me. 

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, GussieK said:

Why must newspapers and news programs say "jab" for Covid vaccines?  Did you get the jab?  He was double jabbed.   Yech.

I agree. I don't like it either. But it's in line with stuff newspapers have done for many years like calling children "tots".  

44 minutes ago, GussieK said:

Students don't want a part time job anymore--they want an "internship."  Seems to be a better resume builder.

That's definitely true. An internship looks much better than a part time job on a recent graduate's resume. 

46 minutes ago, GussieK said:

Why did the world start to use the word "role" instead of "job" or "position"?  I see it everywhere. 

A role is what part of a team you'll be playing. A job is what you show up to do for a predetermined number of hours each day.  

You still have to do your job while you fill your role.  People want to know what role they'll be playing (we're seeing this is especially important to younger adults) before they apply. It's up to us, the people hiring for the role, to make sure they are qualified to perform the job requirements.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, GussieK said:

Only one student here in NYC has even demonstrated interest.  I'm waiting to meet with her.  I've posted at all our various local law schools.  This is a paid job, not an internship.  Although you'd learn plenty.  I was persuaded to list the job as an internship. 

Is there a reason it can't be classified a paid internship?

Full disclosure: one of my "how the world works and I'd like to see it changed, peeves" is unpaid internships. Pay!people! what!they're!worth. An unpaid internship says 'we don't think your time is worth anything' and led to the culture of "we will pay you in exposure or experience".

1 hour ago, JTMacc99 said:

I agree. I don't like it either. But it's in line with stuff newspapers have done for many years like calling children "tots".  

That's just misleading. These are tots

1280px-Tater_Tots_Close_Up_(24782852665)

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Is there a reason it can't be classified a paid internship?

Full disclosure: one of my "how the world works and I'd like to see it changed, peeves" is unpaid internships. Pay!people! what!they're!worth. An unpaid internship says 'we don't think your time is worth anything' and led to the culture of "we will pay you in exposure or experience".

That's just misleading. These are tots

1280px-Tater_Tots_Close_Up_(24782852665)

I love Tater Tots.  I hate when Nancy Grace uses the term "tots" for kids.

As for the paid internship, I did specify that!!! It's so frustrating.   The one person who called was not clear that it was paid.  There's something about these on-line job listing systems that you have to use. They require the employers who want to post at universities to use this platform called Symplicity.  It's anything but . . . 

I hate that people were getting away with not paying people for jobs that used to be paid jobs.  Supposedly some people were getting school credit, but others were not.  There was a lot of this going on a few years ago, especially in the so-called glamorous fields such as fashion and publishing.  But there were some law suits that put a stop to it. 

• Love 2

When we were very young my husband was in a band. You wouldn't believe the number of gigs that wanted to pay the guys in "exposure". Yeah right. "Here Mr. Landlord, we're paying our rent this month with this envelope full of exposure, I'm sure you can appreciate that. Right? ...Right?"

• Love 5
14 minutes ago, GussieK said:

Supposedly some people were getting school credit,

I did all my law school internships for school credits rather than pay;  I was lucky enough not to need the money (it was a second career for me, so I had plenty of savings to cover my living expenses, and my parents gave me the money - an advance on my inheritance 🙂 - for the tuition my scholarships didn't cover), and I was working for non-profits where it was a lot easier to get something set up for credit than for pay.  Plus the credits were more valuable to me; my final semester, my schedule consisted of one day at an internship, and one day at a class in the morning and the internship the rest of the day.  I was so well rested for bar prep!

But in college, all the good internships were for "experience" - no pay, no credits, (and too often no actually learning anything other than how everyone took their coffee and where the copy room was), but you had a big-name company on your resume.  No thanks; I'll take a paycheck from someone "lesser" who will actually pay me for my time and give me something productive to do. 

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I did all my law school internships for school credits rather than pay;  I was lucky enough not to need the money (it was a second career for me, so I had plenty of savings to cover my living expenses, and my parents gave me the money - an advance on my inheritance 🙂 - for the tuition my scholarships didn't cover), and I was working for non-profits where it was a lot easier to get something set up for credit than for pay.  Plus the credits were more valuable to me; my final semester, my schedule consisted of one day at an internship, and one day at a class in the morning and the internship the rest of the day.  I was so well rested for bar prep!

But in college, all the good internships were for "experience" - no pay, no credits, (and too often no actually learning anything other than how everyone took their coffee and where the copy room was), but you had a big-name company on your resume.  No thanks; I'll take a paycheck from someone "lesser" who will actually pay me for my time and give me something productive to do. 

When I was in career floral design school, they had these things called "externships" where in order to graduate you had to work in flower shop for a month, unpaid. They found us all the placements and I ended up managing the shop where I did my externship. Like you, I didn't really need the money by then but for young people, just finishing school, there should be pay involved.

• Love 5
23 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

When we were very young my husband was in a band. You wouldn't believe the number of gigs that wanted to pay the guys in "exposure". Yeah right. "Here Mr. Landlord, we're paying our rent this month with this envelope full of exposure, I'm sure you can appreciate that. Right? ...Right?"

As the girlfriend of a working musician (though not so much over the last year), I hear you in this! Also, invitations to open mic nights, haha! 

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Bastet, I also went to law school as a second career, and my husband and I were able to pay my tuition outright.  I had one unpaid internship for credit -- with a federal judge.  Government and nonprofit unpaid internships are legitimate.  Our school raised funds with an annual auction so students could take unpaid public interest internships.  I didn't apply for a stipend, though.  

After graduating, I also volunteered at a Legal Services office to get experience, as I couldn't find a paying job.   I've done solo practice ever since, with some pro bono.  I still pay law students, even for helping with my pro bono cases!!!

Edited by GussieK
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, GussieK said:

I love Tater Tots.  I hate when Nancy Grace uses the term "tots" for kids.

As for the paid internship, I did specify that!!! It's so frustrating.   The one person who called was not clear that it was paid.  There's something about these on-line job listing systems that you have to use. They require the employers who want to post at universities to use this platform called Symplicity.  It's anything but . . . 

I hate that people were getting away with not paying people for jobs that used to be paid jobs.  Supposedly some people were getting school credit, but others were not.  There was a lot of this going on a few years ago, especially in the so-called glamorous fields such as fashion and publishing.  But there were some law suits that put a stop to it. 

I must have misunderstood. I saw you posted a paid job but people are looking for a paid "internship" vs a job. It's been a long week. Apologizes!

Edited by theredhead77
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Peeve of the day -- it takes too damn long for my eyes to recover after being dilated by the eye doctor.  It's been more nearly three hours, and they're still not back to normal.

My eye doctor has a new way of doing the dilation using lights, instead of drops. I have refused dilation drops for years, because my eyes feel like they are on fire. Not the uncomfortableness I'm told most people feel but it felt like someone literally lit them on fire. I hope you are feeling better now.

Peeves:

Conspiracy theories that spread misinformation and cause harm.

Passing opinions as facts. People are entitled to their own opinion, but it doesn't make it a fact. Facts don't care about opinions.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
21 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

In the US, it is not legal to have an unpaid internship that is not for class credit, and you can't replace a would-be-paid-job with an unpaid internship for credit. There are all sorts of rules to unpaid internships. Not saying it's not a commonly broken law, but all the "we will pay you in exposure or experience" companies are breaking labor laws.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, theatremouse said:

In the US, it is not legal to have an unpaid internship that is not for class credit, and you can't replace a would-be-paid-job with an unpaid internship for credit.

I know. I think that internships for class credit should also come with a monetary wage. It would probably have the added benefit of incentivizing some companies to actually make the internship worthwhile.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

My eye doctor has a new way of doing the dilation using lights, instead of drops. I have refused dilation drops for years, because my eyes feel like they are on fire. Not the uncomfortableness I'm told most people feel but it felt like someone literally lit them on fire. I hope you are feeling better now.

My oldest daughter--who has been extremely nearsighted since she was born and is therefore at higher than normal risk of retinal detachment--has refused to get her eyes dilated for about 10 years! 😳
Is there a term for your doctor's method of dilation?

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

My oldest daughter--who has been extremely nearsighted since she was born and is therefore at higher than normal risk of retinal detachment--has refused to get her eyes dilated for about 10 years! 😳
Is there a term for your doctor's method of dilation?

I did a quick Google and it might be called Optomap, or that could be the name of the machine.

• Useful 2

Why is it so hard to find a double shepherd hook that says how much weight each hook can hold? Every "heavy duty" one I look at has reviews saying how flimsy it is and no manufacturer specifications.

1 hour ago, ABay said:

Why is it so hard to find a double shepherd hook that says how much weight each hook can hold? Every "heavy duty" one I look at has reviews saying how flimsy it is and no manufacturer specifications.

Maybe the internet collective can help. What are you looking for?

• Love 2
2 hours ago, ABay said:

Search for “heavy duty double shepherd hook”. The most weight I saw that was advised is 12lbs on each hook. Also a 5 prong one seems to come up frequently using “ heavy duty “ in the search.

• Love 3

This one at Home Depot says each hook can hold 10 pounds, with a maximum load of 15 pounds (which doesn't quite add up for me, but . . .). It's made of steel, and most of the reviews I read--not all by any means--stress how sturdy it is. What do you need to hang on it?

I meant to add that if it doesn't have to be literally a hook, we bought a bird-feeder pole a couple months ago from Amazon that has 4 (I think) arms, each of which is supposed to hold at least 10 pounds. And it's also the first feeder pole we've ever had that really keeps squirrels from climbing up and cleaning out all the seeds, in case that matters to you. I won't link to Amazon, but it's called the Squirrel Stopper SQC05 Black Squirrel Stopper Pole and Baffle Set. The only problem is, it's pretty expensive. (I was shocked, but Mr. Mo has been really getting into birds. There's a nuthatch who eats out of his hand.)

Edited by Mondrianyone
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5

Do you have 4 feeders on that, @Mondrianyone?

It doesn't have to have hooks, but does have to support 2 full feeders like this Droll Yankee one which weighs 6 pounds without seed. *

Thanks, @ginger90. That's what I'd been doing but what manufacturers mean by "heavy duty" is apparently not the same as consumers--every one I looked at had multiple reviews about flimsiness.

I did eventually find a few that had the weight capacity shown...although the images always seem to show little tube feeders or flower baskets, or lanterns instead of the heavier log cabin feeders or ones like mine.

*It sucks btw because once you take it apart to thoroughly clean it, it's impossibly to put back together without 3 hands and a lot of patience. I ended up using kitchen string to tie the two lower ports back into place. So I'm going to replace it with a cheaper, easier to clean cage feeder for sunflower seeds.

If anyone comes across a mesh feeder in a cage, I'm also looking for one of those. Mesh tubes hold peanut chunks and things other than seeds.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ABay said:

Do you have 4 feeders on that, @Mondrianyone?

No, there are actually 5 on it right now. The arms extend across the pole in 2 directions, and there are enough hooks to accommodate 8 things hanging from them. So we currently have 2 more or less vertical feeders, 2 tray-type feeders, and 1 of these Slinky-ish peanut feeders.

image.png.1a6a25dc5414b2067e7282b092b830a4.png

Plus, there's a spike in the middle of one of the tray feeders that you can impale an apple on, or an ear of dried corn. We may install a make-your-own-taco bar next year. (I'm kidding.) The blue jays seem not to like this setup. They were here all the time when Mr. Mo was sprinkling nuts and seeds on the deck railing, but I said that had to stop, because the squirrels were using the railing as their personal toilet and there were sunflower hulls all over the outdoor rugs, so I couldn't go out barefoot. This is way better.

I'd take a photo of it, but it's pouring buckets today and I don't feel like getting rained on.

Edited by Mondrianyone
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

No, there are actually 5 on it right now. The arms extend across the pole in 2 directions, and there are enough hooks to accommodate 8 things hanging from them. So we currently have 2 more or less vertical feeders, 2 tray-type feeders, and 1 of these Slinky-ish peanut feeders.

image.png.1a6a25dc5414b2067e7282b092b830a4.png

Plus, there's a spike in the middle of one of the tray feeders that you can impale an apple on, or an ear of dried corn. We may install a make-your-own-taco bar next year. (I'm kidding.) The blue jays seem not to like this setup. They were here all the time when Mr. Mo was sprinkling nuts and seeds on the deck railing, but I said that had to stop, because the squirrels were using the railing as their personal toilet and there were sunflower hulls all over the outdoor rugs, so I couldn't go out barefoot. This is way better.

I'd take a photo of it, but it's pouring buckets today and I don't feel like getting rained on.

We used to have beautiful, custom made bird feeders and my husband and I loved to sit on the porch and watch them every night after work but then we got rats. We had to take our lovely feeders down. That's my peeve: Rats. We live near the lake and several restaurants so we get rats and I fucking HATE them.

• Love 3

I recently put up a feeder — a little one above our balcony (which, oof, I now have to see so often!). I think I love it as much as the cats do. Sometimes I get a cup of coffee and sit with them near the window to watch the birds for a while before I log into work.

Edit: I meant “sweep,” not “see”! What is the matter with me?!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 1
On 9/24/2021 at 6:05 AM, shapeshifter said:

"Prolly" doesn't bother me. I read/hear it as a regional/dialectic variance being spelled out. 

In what part of the world is "probably" pronounced "prolly"?  I need to make sure I don't go there.  (Okay, hearing that would likely not bother me at all.  But seeing it written?  Oh, yeah - peeved.  Just like how, as I've mentioned before, hearing "drawer" pronounced "draw" is just a thing that happens in some regions, yet for some reason someone thinking it's spelled that way sends me into spasm.)

The only feeder I have is for hummingbirds, but I sometimes scatter birdseed on the ground in the backyard.  The bag I bought recently was labeled as being for doves.  I have three pairs of doves that hang out here (but nest elsewhere, to my consternation - I like watching bird nests - but also a bit to my relief, as I get upset when something bad happens, as is often the case in nature), and I figured there's stuff in the mix other birds will eat, too.  A few mornings ago I looked out to see 11 doves (it should have been a dozen, but I'd found enough feathers a week before to know one got killed) feasting together.  Riley (my cat) slept through it.  As she did this morning when about eight ... something ... birds (something fairly small and brown; like with dogs, I can only identify a few breeds and otherwise just describe them by size and color, not caring enough to look it up - there are gaps in my intellectual curiosity) were happily pecking around the other side of the yard.  But I enjoyed it; I like watching how they interact (better than humans).

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, Bastet said:

In what part of he world is "probably" pronounced "prolly"?  So I can make sure I don't go there.

The South Side of Chicago, for one. Heh, yeah, "prolly" don't want to go there after dark, anyway. 

But some excellent scholarship students who I met working in the College library came from there. 

Edited by shapeshifter
Just now, shapeshifter said:

The South Side of Chicago, for one. Heh, yeah, "prolly" don't want to go there after dark, anyway. 

Huh.  I've been there - including after dark (I have a friend in Chicago, and her best friend is a born and bred South Sider, so we always hang out there some when I visit, and I find average city street smarts serve just fine) - but didn't notice that.  Next time, I'll have an ear out for it.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

We used to have beautiful, custom made bird feeders and my husband and I loved to sit on the porch and watch them every night after work but then we got rats. We had to take our lovely feeders down. That's my peeve: Rats. We live near the lake and several restaurants so we get rats and I fucking HATE them.

I started feeders in February when we had a really bad week of snow here in Texas and I read that birds could freeze to death if they couldn't find enough food to keep their body temperature up. I saw every bird imaginable that week and have kept it up (my big pit mix loves laying on the deck and watching the birds eat). I saw a rat a few times a few weeks ago and worried that we have an infestation. Then a few nights later I heard the giant owl that lives in one of my pecan trees and I haven't seen any rats since, hehe.

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
1 minute ago, emma675 said:

I started feeders in February when we had a really bad week of snow here in Texas and I read that birds could freeze to death if they couldn't find enough food to keep their body temperature up. I saw every bird imaginable that week and have kept it up (my big pit mix loves laying on the deck and watching the birds eat). I saw a rat a few times a few weeks ago and worried that we have an infestation. Then a few nights later I heard the giant owl that lives in one of my pecan trees and I haven't seen any rats since, hehe.

Nice!

• Love 2

We're in a semi-rural locale, haven't seen rats, but we have regular visits from many of th*ir cousins; groundhogs, squirrels, opossum, raccoons, skunks.  Plus rabbits, d**r, wild turk*y, and th* occasional fox.  I don't mind it.  I would probably mind rats. 🙅‍♀️🐭

This 'e' situation is going to cause me great agita before it's righted, lol.

• Love 3