Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

I had pretty bad acne as a teenager and still get acne, though not as bad, in my late 30s.  These days I mostly only break out at certain times in my cycle, at least on my face.  I now get acne on my back, which I never did before.  Who started the lie that people grow out of it, so I can punch them?  I have gray hairs - I should not also have pimples.  

• Love 4
15 hours ago, Maharincess said:

My peeve is assholes who quote a poster, cross out what the poster wrote, writes something different and then says "I fixed it for you".  No you arrogant jerk, you didn't fix it for them. You changed their opinion into yours and thats beyond arrogant. Its my biggest peeve these days.  If somebody wanted it written your way, it would have been that way from the start. Why do people do that?  It just makes them look like a jerk. 

Man, that sucks... it's also vaguely disturbing. It makes you wonder what's going on in their little minds.

• Love 3

I woke up to see a tree across my apartment building's parking lot. There's a car just next to it, but it doesn't appear to be damaged much, it at all. I called management and left a message; they opened at 1pm. It's now 5 and the tree has not been touched. I can probably get out in the morning, but if this isn't evidence of lazy and uncaring ownership, I don't know what is.

IMG_20170709_122801-685x514.thumb.jpg.c67eb746da622cf19778ed3d48abfd5b.jpgIMG_20170709_122848_crop_516x348.jpg.12092f8f00bebebf910d47513d30cbfd.jpg

• Love 3

Ugh, I'm 41 and I still get blemishes, too. I had almost perfect skin into my 30's and then it went a little nuts. I get these little bumps under the skin that never seem to surface on their own and take months to go away. Sprironolactone, regular trips to the dermatologist and a really strong magnifying mirror (because they will come to a point where there's a little dark spot and I know I can push out the little hard bit) have finally helped. I'm slowly getting it under control.

• Love 2
On 7/2/2017 at 1:09 PM, ennui said:

A scientist once said that a good film depiction of time travel was the bit in the jail at the end of "Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure." I was like, really? But I can see it.

I liked Peggy Sue Got Married and Back to the Future 2 also Donnie Darko is my jam. 

(edited)
20 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I woke up to see a tree across my apartment building's parking lot. There's a car just next to it, but it doesn't appear to be damaged much, it at all. I called management and left a message; they opened at 1pm. It's now 5 and the tree has not been touched. I can probably get out in the morning, but if this isn't evidence of lazy and uncaring ownership, I don't know what is.

Maybe the tree service is busy. Did you recently have a storm, lots of trees down? Do you live in an upscale area, not many blue collar types?  I'm not sure a few hours qualifies as lazy and uncaring.

Edited by ennui
(edited)

Only one tree was down, which fell from the roots. There was some rain a couple nights ago, which likely helped it, but it wasn't hit by lightning, nor were there high winds. And the tree was still down and untouched this morning, so it's been more than 24 hours. I live in a major city; I'm sure there's a tree service that works on Sunday.

It looked like most of the root system was dying, which means they need to look at the other trees of the same age and type, but of course they won't.

The thing is, there was a CAR that was partially covered by the tree! They didn't bother to move it off the car--or out of the lot so people could drive out completely safely. If anything happens, it's a total liability on the ownership's/management's part.

My complex is made up of modest-income renters, many with children. Rents start below $1K/mo.

The ownership is notoriously cheap. I know of them through my job as well. Basically, they help develop or buy multifamily housing at bottom dollar, and then poorly maintain the properties and/or do the bare minimum. I realize that's an "investment strategy" in some circles, but it makes for properties that don't hold up over time. But then, in Charlotte, they'll just tear it all down after 30 years since construction and then build whatever the latest trend is.

The family also owns one of the bigger name discount stores in the country. It was bought by another discount store last year. Both companies have the word "dollar" in their names.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, walnutqueen said:

Peeve : "Selfies".

And: "Foodies"  OK, that's not what a foodie is, but do we really need to take pictures of our restaurant meal and post it to Facebook.  I guess I could understand if it's something really special, but my sister does it when she gets the clam strips at Friendly's.

• Love 6

LOL.  I don't think so.  I have another friend who takes pictures of her food, but she writes e-cook books and their her own creations, so that makes more sense to me.

• Love 3
58 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

Only one tree was down, which fell from the roots. There was some rain a couple nights ago, which likely helped it, but it wasn't hit by lightning, nor were there high winds. And the tree was still down and untouched this morning, so it's been more than 24 hours. I live in a major city; I'm sure there's a tree service that works on Sunday.

It looked like most of the root system was dying, which means they need to look at the other trees of the same age and type, but of course they won't.

The thing is, there was a CAR that was partially covered by the tree! They didn't bother to move it off the car--or out of the lot so people could drive out completely safely. If anything happens, it's a total liability on the ownership's/management's part.

My complex is made up of modest-income renters, many with children. Rents start below $1K/mo.

The ownership is notoriously cheap. I know of them through my job as well. Basically, they help develop or buy multifamily housing at bottom dollar, and then poorly maintain the properties and/or do the bare minimum. I realize that's an "investment strategy" in some circles, but it makes for properties that don't hold up over time. But then, in Charlotte, they'll just tear it all down after 30 years since construction and then build whatever the latest trend is.

The family also owns one of the bigger name discount stores in the country. It was bought by another discount store last year. Both companies have the word "dollar" in their names.

I guessed the family because in my town we had that dollar store. Then it was bought out by the other dollar store. The employees were laid off then told to re-apply for a job. For a friggin' minimum wage job! I would have told them to shove it but unfortunately some people don't have that option. They are people in their sixties who need a job to supplement their SS check.

My pet peeve. Greedy corporations owned by billionaires.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, walnutqueen said:

Peeve : "Selfies".

Heee yes! Back in the day if you wanted to take a photo of yourself you had to use a polaroid and a mirror [/old] Or get film (FILM!) developed at a store where the dude could see all your photos.

I remember I tried the polaroid once when  I was told  I was fat. I was not. *sigh* 5'6" 120 is not fat.

Here's another peeve. People who are obsessed with what other adults eat and make comments about it.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, ari333 said:

People who are obsessed with what other adults eat and make comments about it.

Unless said adult is constantly posting pictures of it.  Then commenting about it to see if they'll stop is fully called for:)

(edited)
6 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Unless said adult is constantly posting pictures of it.  Then commenting about it to see if they'll stop is fully called for:)

I guess I am weird, but I don't  have facebook or any social media. Except for my significant other, I don't presume that  anyone cares where I am 24/7 or what I am eating or seeing photos of it.  

But even for those who choose to post their food, imo it is not anyone else 's business to tell them not to eat it.  But my comment was related to people eating together at the same table.

Edited by ari333
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, ari333 said:

But even for those who choose to post their food, imo it is not anyone else 's business to tell them not to eat it.  But my comment was related to people eating together at the same table.

I was just kidding, because I posted the pet peeve a while ago about posting the food.  No, I don't actually comment on it.

• Love 1
(edited)
2 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I was just kidding, because I posted the pet peeve a while ago about posting the food.  No, I don't actually comment on it.

heh OK. I got behind on my reading pages :-)

It's just such a peeve for me when someone makes a snark about my ranch dressing when I planned all day for it.

Edited by ari333
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, ari333 said:

It's just such a peeve for me when someone makes a snark about my ranch dressing when I planned all day for it.

Really?  That sounds annoying.  I guess the only time I would say anything to an adult is if I knew they had a dietary restriction of some sort and I just wanted to make sure that they were aware of an ingredient or that something was high in something they weren't supposed to have a lot of, etc.  I certainly wouldn't make a big deal out of it after I had imparted the info and they said they knew.  Their decision at that point.

The tree is gone. The stump is still there. The trees on either side of the formerly fallen tree are banded with pink tape. I hope that means they will be evaluated. I'd not noticed until this happened, but the tree to my left (the ghost tree's right) looks dead. It's brown. It's also bigger than the ghost tree. The other one is taller.

They got lucky there wasn't more damage. I hope they'll use the opportunity to evaluate the rest of the trees. Oh, who am I kidding?

• Love 2

A real bugbear of mine is how the media always fish for "big" fatality numbers when it comes to a major disaster.

Reporters asking the emergency services "How many are dead?", "Are we talking double figures?"

And then we have the subsequent headlines suggesting "Over ### dead!", but then when you actually read the article (or read another source), that number  is purely speculative rather than officially confirmed.

Lousy and sensationalist journalism with little or no accountability  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Qoass said:

That's okay. It only matters if the dead were Americans, even if the event took place in another country. eyeroll.

This. I'm American and I hate how the media has to call out how many Americans have been killed. How about we just say how many people have been killed? That's what's important; not how many people of a specific subset of all people have been killed. I don't recall Americans being this self-important when I was a teenager or even in my early 20's.

• Love 4

Nope, I'm in Canada.  Our Olympic broadcasts show sports in which Canadians are participating, but also show sports in which Canadians are not even entered.  I get all the US channels, I've never seen one of them broadcast an Olympic event without an American in the running.  

• Love 5
22 hours ago, stewedsquash said:

I think each country in the world showcases their own country first, then the other countries, in news, sports, etc. I don't think this is a uniquely US thing.

I would pretty much agree with that. Here in the UK, the press focus in UK casualties first, which I suppose in a moral sense it could be justified given that its in the national interest. But if there are no British fatalities some media outlets move down the pecking order, with Americans, Europeans, Asians and everyone else.

So you could have a main headline here saying "2 Britons killed in shooting" and then a small story buried way down the page saying "200 Syrians killed in bomb outrage"

From an editorial point of view, which is more news worthy?

• Love 2

One of my giant peeves is when a disaster happens anywhere, the local news media does the "How would this affect us HERE?"  "Is anyone possibly local near the site of the disaster?"  "How does the affect US?"  What about the poor people who were affected by the disaster/tragedy? Should we not care about them?  Honestly, I live in CAlifornia and I remember all of the 9-11 reporting was aimed at, What if they struck here??!!!  Grrr......

2 hours ago, Only Zola said:

From an editorial point of view, which is more news worthy?

It depends on your audience. 

My peeve: People want everything RIGHT NOW.  If they call and get voicemail, they hang up and call back. Repeatedly. Is this the definition of insanity? If someone is not available, they want me to FIND THEM RIGHT NOW.

People need to take a deep breath and chill. Life doesn't operate on RIGHT NOW. 

• Love 10

Ugh, the voicemail avoiders! When I'm at home I always glance at caller ID when the phone rings, if I happen to be near a phone, and let it go to voice mail if it's not someone I know/do business with or who might reasonably have something interesting to say. If I'm not near a phone, I let voice mail get it. If I just don't feel like talking to anyone at the moment; -> voice mail. It's astonishing how many callers don't think it's worth their while to leave voice mail.

My favorites are the calls that caller ID identifies as "VOIP Caller." They never leave voice mail, and it's always a scam sales call if I answer.

• Love 5

Dust!

I realise dust is just a fact of modern life, but it really is an ongoing pain!

I can clean and polish my rooms on Monday, and come the following weekend, there's that familiar gossamer layer of dust already forming on the most visible of things, i.e. TV screens, dark wood bookshelves, desks and tables, and a whole lot of other things. 

I just get the feeling I'm just moving dust around when I do do the cleaning & polishing - it just hangs in the air ready to fall just as soon as my back is turned. 

Pity they can't invent a permanent dust terminating machine, lol

• Love 9
9 hours ago, Sandman87 said:

Ugh, the voicemail avoiders! When I'm at home I always glance at caller ID when the phone rings, if I happen to be near a phone, and let it go to voice mail if it's not someone I know/do business with or who might reasonably have something interesting to say. If I'm not near a phone, I let voice mail get it. If I just don't feel like talking to anyone at the moment; -> voice mail. It's astonishing how many callers don't think it's worth their while to leave voice mail.

My favorites are the calls that caller ID identifies as "VOIP Caller." They never leave voice mail, and it's always a scam sales call if I answer.

Well, I don't leave messages on voicemail, typically, because I don't check my own voicemail. Personally, I hate that I even have voicemail. If people need to reach me and I don't answer the phone, send me an email or a text message, but for the love of all things holy please do not leave me a voice message! Yes, I tend to ring twice and then I either give up or knuckle under and leave a voice message.

(edited)

So, the alleged pot-smokin' neighbors are moving in about six weeks. Thank god. Last night, I fell asleep on the couch and had a crazy-ass nightmare in which I was choking, and I woke up with what felt like a very sitcom-like start and also a raging headache (I've actually been hittin' the Advil hard over the last two weeks). Please let the smell go with them because, oh my goodness, what if it's somehow not them and is just here for eternity? Or I'm just crazy (not to mention, an asshole for being so accusatory!).

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 4
On 7/11/2017 at 8:13 AM, Qoass said:

That's okay. It only matters if the dead were Americans, even if the event took place in another country. eyeroll.

And among the dead Americans, it's apparently important to know how many of them were children. 

On 7/9/2017 at 11:38 AM, Blergh said:

I still occasionally get a zit in my 50's- and I'm thinking with my luck, I'll go directly from zits to wrinkles!

That will be lucky because you could have them simultaneously.  Just this week I used a senior discount at Walgreens to buy my salicylic acid face wash and acne gel.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

So, the alleged pot-smokin' neighbors are moving in about six weeks. Thank god. Last night, I fell asleep on the couch and had a crazy-ass nightmare in which I was choking, and I woke up with what felt like a vet sitcom-like start and also a raging headache (I've actually been hittin' the Advil hard over the last two weeks). Please let the smell go with them because, oh my goodness, what if it's somehow not them and is just here for eternity? Or I'm just crazy (not to mention, an asshole for being so accusatory!).

I hope your new neighbors don't do anything just as stinky.  Or loud.

Oh, thank you.

The other night, my diplomatic BF knocked on their door with a plan not to accuse, but to innocently ask if they smell it too, with the hope of determining if he could tell if it was coming from them. They didn't answer the door though. 

Also, last night's headache remains, though the paranoia-adjacent feeling has mercifully subsided (except for the unrelated fact that there's been a large-snake sighting just outside the entrance to my office).

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Only Zola said:

I just get the feeling I'm just moving dust around when I do do the cleaning & polishing - it just hangs in the air ready to fall just as soon as my back is turned. 

That's why I rarely bother to dust...

• Love 6
5 hours ago, MrSmith said:

Well, I don't leave messages on voicemail, typically, because I don't check my own voicemail. Personally, I hate that I even have voicemail.

There are a lot of people just like you. At my work, it goes like this: "I had a missed call from this number." "I don't know who called you, did they leave a message?" "Oh, yes, let me check the message and call you back."

• Love 5

I rarely leave voicemail because I stammer around and sound like an idiot unless I prepare a message before I call, but I also hate when people see the number and call me back. If I did not leave a message, it's not that important. If it is urgent, I will leave a message.

• Love 6
24 minutes ago, ennui said:

There are a lot of people just like you. At my work, it goes like this: "I had a missed call from this number." "I don't know who called you, did they leave a message?" "Oh, yes, let me check the message and call you back."

Hey, I get the no voicemail thing in certain instances; I don't leave them usually for my mom or brother, because they're weirdos who will repeatedly listen to/save voicemails to see if someone "sounds drunk" or sounds remotely pissy/accusatory. So they know to call me back later if they see my number as a missed call.

But any other time, especially if you're calling a new number or it's business-related, please just leave a voicemail. DO NOT repeatedly call me until I answer, because that just creeps me out more and I will therefore not even bother to answer the phone if I see that creepy number keep coming up. Because that proves to me you're either a stalker or a salesman/scammer.

On the flipside, keep it short and to the point when you leave a message. I have one friend who seemingly lives to deliver long and dramatic soliloquies on my voicemail. She's lucky I adore her or I'd have blocked her number years ago!

• Love 7

I generally don't call back unless someone leaves a VM.  Doesn't matter if I recognize the number or not.  I figure, if it's important, leave a message.  

Along those lines, I don't understand calling back numbers you don't recognize at all.  I hear so many people calling and say something like "Who is this?  I  just got a call from this number and I don't recognize it."  Why would you do that?  1) you don't recognize it, 2) they didn't leave a message.  Why bother?  What's t his obsessive need to know?  It's one thing if you're selling something on Craigslist or via want ad or something and are expecting to get calls from strangers, but otherwise, I don't get it.  I've had people say "What if it were your parents calling from a different number due to an emergency?"  Me: "They'd leave a message?"  Them: "What if it's your doctor calling about something?" Me:" They'd leave a message" Then: "What if it's your landlord and there's a fire?" Me:  "They'd leave a message".   Even sales calls and "you just won a free X" calls leave a message.

• Love 13
Just now, aquarian1 said:

I generally don't call back unless someone leaves a VM.  Doesn't matter if I recognize the number or not.  I figure, if it's important, leave a message.  

Along those lines, I don't understand calling back numbers you don't recognize at all.  I hear so many people calling and say something like "Who is this?  I  just got a call from this number and I don't recognize it."  Why would you do that?  1) you don't recognize it, 2) they didn't leave a message.  Why bother?  What's t his obsessive need to know?  It's one thing if you're selling something on Craigslist or via want ad or something and are expecting to get calls from strangers, but otherwise, I don't get it.  I've had people say "What if it were your parents calling from a different number due to an emergency?"  Me: "They'd leave a message?"  Them: "What if it's your doctor calling about something?" Me:" They'd leave a message" Then: "What if it's your landlord and there's a fire?" Me:  "They'd leave a message".   Even sales calls and "you just won a free X" calls leave a message.

See, there's too many rules because everyone has their own individual rules.  You won't call back unless a message is left.  My boss and my best friend won't listen to the message, they'll just call back when they've seen that I've called.  I found that very frustrating with my boss because I would leave a detailed message regarding my issue or someone else's message, and he would call me back three second later, and I'd have to go through the whole spiel again. Now, I generally don't bother leaving a message, because it's just too much work if nobody's going to listen to it.

• Love 3

Hey, I get the no voicemail thing in certain instances; I don't leave them usually for my mom or brother, because they're weirdos who will repeatedly listen to/save voicemails to see if someone "sounds drunk" or sounds remotely pissy/accusatory.

I am legit laughing out loud alone at my desk after reading this.

• Love 2

Oh no, I understand some people don't leave them or listen to them.  But if it's important, people usually find a way to contact you.  Why call back if someone didn't leave a message though?  Maybe it was a butt dial, maybe it wasn't important - i.e. calling just to say hi, maybe they were bored while driving and wanted to ramble aimlessly at someone else and have already called someone else., etc. Maybe it is important - in that case they'll usually call back (and eventually leave a message) or text or email.   I don't know.  I do know it hasn't hurt any of my relationships at all to not call back.  It's not like people expect me to have my phone glued to my side.  While I work in an office, the expectation is not to have it out all the time.  It stays in my purse in my drawer and on silent.  Same with when I'm out to dinner with people or at a movie, etc.  It's also not on me while in the shower or sleeping. :-P  And when I'm home it just stays on the counter, plugged in to charge.

• Love 3

I can understand the variance with numbers you recognize, but it's the business calls that amuse me. I'm convinced that some of the "I got a missed call from this number" folks don't know how to check their messages.

• Love 1
(edited)

I never look at my missed call log, so I obviously don't call back anyone who didn't leave a message.  Nor would I want someone calling me back if I didn't leave a message (not that they'd know I called, as my number does not show up on caller ID; all they see is "private caller," so that could be me or anyone else whose number is private).  If I don't leave a message it's either because I decided to send an email instead, or it was something that was only relevant if they happened to be around at the time I was calling, so there's no point in mentioning it since they're not.  Either way, there's no need for a return call.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 5

Oh yes, I forgot all about those weirdoes who call you back demanding to know who you are and/or why you called because they "got a call from your number"!! It's usually some creepy old paranoid coot who has way too much time on his/her hands. 

Just a month ago I kept getting this strange number that called me at least 8 times in one day. I finally decided to answer after a couple of wines at happy hour, when this crazed-sounding old lady immediately crackled from the other line, "I got a call from this number! Who is this??" To which I said, "unless the ghost in my house decided to call random numbers on my cell, I can assure you that your number was never dialed from this phone." Crazed old lady argues back, "Oh no, you called this number((repeats my number)), I know it! Who is this?!" Again I assured her crazy ass that it was logistically impossible for me to dial a number that I'd never even dialed, but thanks for an amusing exchange. I finally had to tell her to lose my number forever and give my regards to her handlers after I hung up on her psychotic blubbering. Then I promptly blocked that number.

Please, don't ever be like that crazy old psycho lady. Misdials and wrong numbers happen. And then there's just crazy. Don't be crazy: if there's no voicemail there's no reason to call back.

• Love 2

I hate it when a woman says, "I'm a full-time mom," when she means she's a stay-at-home mom or a mom who does not work at a job outside the home or does not have a paying job or however I can say it without offending those women. I don't care that they do what they do -- as long as they don't care that I do what I do, which is have a child and also a job outside the home that someone pays me to do. What I do care is the implication that mothers who do have jobs outside the home that they are paid to do are only part-time moms. Mothers who say the full-time mom thing probably don't mean to imply that, but the words do seem to give off that sentiment.

I mean, yeah, I work at a job I'm paid for. I'm not with my son all day long. I sent him to daycare (and now to school). But I don't quit being a mom during those eight hours that I'm at the office. And for that matter, dads don't stop being dads when they are at their jobs they get paid to do. And I don't really believe that those moms are taking care of their children 24 hours a day seven days a week until they go off to college. Those moms do other things, too, and spend time away from their kids.

I recognize that this is a piddly thing, but it's what irritated me today (besides the people at work who send stuff to be created, proofed and printed for the annual event three weeks before the annual event -- did I mention this event happens every year?).

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Sun-Bun said:

Oh yes, I forgot all about those weirdoes who call you back demanding to know who you are and/or why you called because they "got a call from your number"!! It's usually some creepy old paranoid coot who has way too much time on his/her hands. 

Well, I don't know if it was you who I called, but I ended up calling a number on my phone, because they had called like 5 times.  They had no idea who I was or why they called me, but at least they stopped.

Then, this other time my cell phone rang and it was my mom, so I answered it .  Me: "Hello."  Mom" "Hello, who is this?"  Me"  "Who is this?  It's your second favorite daughter.  You called me. Do we need to start looking into homes?"  Mom:  "Oh, is this your cell phone."  Me:  "Yes.  Remember you just called me?"  Mom:  "I don't know your cell phone number and I saw it on my phone and I need to find this other womans' phone number so I'mcalling all the numbers on my phone I don't recognize."    LOL.

• Love 6