Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: About Big People

• Start Topic

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been working out at the gym consistently for over a year, I'm way more active than I used to be. I was over 200 pounds, I work with a trainer and attend a few classes track my food intake. I've cut down on all the bad carbs it's not hard. I also have high blood pressure I'm on medicine to control it. My last Dr. appointment it went down a lot. If I can do it so can Twitney.  I also wear a Fitbit, I just upgraded from an ALTA HR to the Versa.

• Love 8

I watched the first 2 eps of Dietland last night & am not sure what I think about it. I certainly liked the character, Plum Kettle, more than the reality, Whitney Wat Thore. But I'm confused about where the plot is going. I guess I'll cheat & read the book so I don't waste a lot of hours watching a show that I may ultimately not care for.

Or I hope I'll have the chance to watch some more. I watched Dietland last night on the Sundance channel, seeing ads for upcoming eps saying they would be exclusively on AMC. If it's only on AMC next week, I'm out of luck.

• Love 2
On 6/5/2018 at 3:43 PM, Dot said:

I watched the first 2 eps of Dietland last night & am not sure what I think about it. I certainly liked the character, Plum Kettle, more than the reality, Whitney Wat Thore. But I'm confused about where the plot is going. I guess I'll cheat & read the book so I don't waste a lot of hours watching a show that I may ultimately not care for.

Or I hope I'll have the chance to watch some more. I watched Dietland last night on the Sundance channel, seeing ads for upcoming eps saying they would be exclusively on AMC. If it's only on AMC next week, I'm out of luck.

Oh I didn't know this was a book. I've seen the commercials and it looks interesting, but I'd rather settle in with a good book.

• Love 1
On 6/3/2018 at 9:07 AM, cherenkov said:

Yesterday I ran three races and even with the not-ideal running conditions (warm and humid) I got second place in my age group for the mile.

Awesome. 

There's a "Vegetarian Summer Fest" at Pitt in a couple weeks. I really wanted to go until I read some of the speakers/topics. Too much politics! Made me appreciate the moderators of Previously and their diligence.

• Love 1

I really wanted to go until I read some of the speakers/topics. Too much politics!

Years ago I joined a vegan dinearound group in my area. I liked the idea of finding vegan restaurants as well as experiencing new food combinations.  I enjoyed it at first but was turned off by the PETA marches and demonstrations that they expected me to attend as part of the group. Sometimes the conversation was neutral but more often than not it was political.

I think of them as the Militant Vegans. Is that an oxymoron?

• Love 4
On 6/9/2018 at 12:12 PM, Colleenna said:

Awesome. 

There's a "Vegetarian Summer Fest" at Pitt in a couple weeks. I really wanted to go until I read some of the speakers/topics. Too much politics! Made me appreciate the moderators of Previously and their diligence.

Yeah, UPJ isn't that far away and I'd be interested to learn about more vegetarian and vegan food that i could cook and incorporate into my diet, but I just searched it and started looking at their page. It looks like it's going to be filled with politic and junk "science".

In other news training schedule has kept me pretty busy, but I just did the century in bike MS and I'm out on the obstacle course tomorrow going for yet another finisher medal.

The century pin:

centurypin.jpg.85d2a8406eb05c15d141ce5be3e4e2cc.jpg

• Love 4
1 hour ago, cherenkov said:

Yeah, UPJ isn't that far away and I'd be interested to learn about more vegetarian and vegan food that i could cook and incorporate into my diet, but I just searched it and started looking at their page. It looks like it's going to be filled with politic and junk "science".

In other news training schedule has kept me pretty busy, but I just did the century in bike MS and I'm out on the obstacle course tomorrow going for yet another finisher medal.

The century pin:

centurypin.jpg.85d2a8406eb05c15d141ce5be3e4e2cc.jpg

Cool pin! If you're on FB, there are a couple of pages you might like: vegan/vegetarian recipe swap and chocolate covered katie. Both excellent recipes.

Did everyone see My Big Fat Summer, listed on the TLC schedule tonight, 6/27?
Not much detail on my cable guide, but here's what's on TLC's Facebook page.

"Welcome to plus size paradise! ? Watch as a group of vacationers work together to find confidence and transform their lives tonight at 10/9c on #MyBigFatSummer!"
They include a video clip too.

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, auntjess said:

"Welcome to plus size paradise! ? Watch as a group of vacationers work together to find confidence and transform their lives tonight at 10/9c on #MyBigFatSummer!"

Interesting. Sounds like TLC stole Twit's cruise idea. (Or maybe it filmed her 2017 cruise secretly.)

• Love 1

Here's my cable co. description of the show, starting at 10:13 PM tonight: A group of obese vacationers heads to a plus-sized paradise to experience a new approach to facing their fears. At the world's first hotel built for people who are severely overweight, they'll be inspired to find confidence and transform their lives.

Sorry Dot, no cruise! :)

• Love 1
17 hours ago, auntjess said:

I watched it. It was actually pretty sweet. The resort is on a gorgeous beach in the Bahamas. They have facilities that accommodate obese people but also they help work through their insecurities. They encourage them to do things they have been afraid of before and support each other as they take little steps. So a woman who had never been able to enjoy a vacation because she was ashamed of herself was cheered when she had the confidence to take off her coverup and get in the pool.  But the best part was that it wasn’t about ‘fat is fabulous’. Never did they claim it’s good to be obese or they are super healthy. It was about ‘you have value as a person. Don’t let others tell you that you don’t matter. Really building self esteem which was nice. In fact several lost weight when they went home because they felt better about themselves. 

So to me it was the opposite of what I imagine the Whitney cruise to be. 

• Love 11
3 hours ago, cherenkov said:

Since I am a complete and total medal whore, I have now registered for my first triathlon. In a little under a month, I take on yet another endurance sport.

I was just thinking about you yesterday as I was swimming my 1.5 miles, and wondering if you had ever done a tri. You go girl! Yinzer strong!

• Love 1
22 hours ago, Colleenna said:

I was just thinking about you yesterday as I was swimming my 1.5 miles, and wondering if you had ever done a tri. You go girl! Yinzer strong!

We build 'em tough in the iron city. I'm toying with the idea of earning an Ironman tattoo before my 50th birthday. It will mean picking a year and just balls out training for it, but the idea of hearing my name followed by "YOU ARE AN IRONMAN" calls to me.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, cherenkov said:

We build 'em tough in the iron city. I'm toying with the idea of earning an Ironman tattoo before my 50th birthday. It will mean picking a year and just balls out training for it, but the idea of hearing my name followed by "YOU ARE AN IRONMAN" calls to me.

I had a total klutz day at the gym today. Knocked over a whole stand of body bars, banged my knee against the kettlebell rack, got tangled up in the TRX, and knocked over a couple of bosu balls that were leaning against machines. I was almost afraid to swim after my weight lifting, afraid I might bang my head on the pool wall and drown. 

I think you should do an Ironman. Definitely! There's something appealing about an Ironman from Arn City. ;-)  

The tatt? Meh. 

• Love 1
44 minutes ago, Colleenna said:

So, yinz gunna run the Pens 6.6K in October? 

This year it conflicts with the Pittsburgh Spartan and I'm in a morning heat for the Super on Sunday. Had the Pens got the three-peat, I'd try to change to an afternoon heat for Spartan Super, but this way I have less risk of not completing the Super course.

It's hard. I sometimes do multiple races in a weekend or even in a single day and it kicks my ass. This time I just can't do both.

13 hours ago, cherenkov said:

This year it conflicts with the Pittsburgh Spartan and I'm in a morning heat for the Super on Sunday. Had the Pens got the three-peat, I'd try to change to an afternoon heat for Spartan Super, but this way I have less risk of not completing the Super course.

It's hard. I sometimes do multiple races in a weekend or even in a single day and it kicks my ass. This time I just can't do both.

Good luck with the Spartan. I hope they have a cool medal.

Many thanks, my good friends, for your "likes" and BD wishes. They made my day when I got up this morn! (Which, give or take, is the 29,200th day of what has turned out to be a very long life -- who knew?)

• Love 8
On 9/22/2017 at 8:31 AM, AZChristian said:

26 minutes ago, Dot said:

Many thanks, my good friends, for your "likes" and BD wishes. They made my day when I got up this morn! (Which, give or take, is the 29,200th day of what has turned out to be a very long life -- who knew?)

Happy Happy!!! 

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, Dot said:

Whee, Happy Birthday, @Dot, and fellow Virgo (not that I'm into Astrology or anything).

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

That is Danielle from 90 day fiancé, and Mohamid was her scammer  ex husband who she claims "frauded her" into a green card

Lol for the longest time I thought it was a picture of Whitney and was like who’s Mohamed?  Was he a dude before Avi? I might have to check out the Danielle and Mohamed they sound like winners too lol

• Love 2
19 hours ago, Irate Panda said:

Lol for the longest time I thought it was a picture of Whitney and was like who’s Mohamed?  Was he a dude before Avi? I might have to check out the Danielle and Mohamed they sound like winners too lol

Oh you have to check out the 90Day with Danyell and Mohamid, hunker down on a rainy day with adult beverages ( if you partake) and let the shitness begin !image.png.261f5ee9b86a6ceaaf8f2d46ed6a7053.png

Edited by Mahamid Frauded Me
  • Love 4
On 9/19/2018 at 11:23 AM, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

Oh you have to check out the 90Day with Danyell and Mohamid, hunker down on a rainy day with adult beverages ( if you partake) and let the shitness begin !image.png.261f5ee9b86a6ceaaf8f2d46ed6a7053.png

D'nyell wants her secks tonight!!

• Love 4

People were talking about Whitney's love of Froot Loops in another thread.  It gave me an irresistible desire for Froot Loops.

Man, those things trigger off some kind of ravenous hunger in me.  So sweet and crunchy.  As soon as I eat any, I want more.  I guess it's a good thing that I stopped eating sugary cereals long ago.

• Love 3
On 9/14/2018 at 3:15 AM, Dot said:

5b9b5e93e5047_80th(2).jpg.ece88493c1f42eab36a40f2559abc5bf.jpg'I

Yes, I was born the 14th day of September in 1938, which makes me EIGHTY YEARS OLD TODAY!

And a warning to all you young whippersnappers in this forum: if you think I was cranky while in my seventies, just watch me as an octogenarian.

tmsho180903.thumb.gif.a44be7d12fef8b6764727e6a8d4abfd0.gif

Wishing you a VERY belated happy birthday, Dot! 

• Love 4