Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: About Big People

• Start Topic

8 hours ago, Colleenna said:

I hear ya. Fortunately I was ahead of my age cohort academically,  so I was in 7th grade at 11, and many of the other  7th grade girls were getting their first flow. And I had a hysterectomy at 20 because of ovarian  teratomas. Sometimes just for fun I add up all the  $$ I saved on birth control,  tampons,  etc between the ages of 20 and  50. It's not insubstantial  😄

I've done that, too! 😆

I'm sorry about your teratoma. Those things are as scary AF. I had severe endometriosis and adenomyosis (my uterus always looked 6 months pregnant) and after half a dozen surgeries my doc finally just offered to take everything out. While I was waiting for insurance to okay the surgery, though, my uterus ruptured. That took care of that. 

• Love 2
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Colleenna said:

About Stitch  Fix: Thank you,  @Gramto6, for your input.  I was considering  SF, but since I already pushed 70 over the cliff several years ago,  based on what you said, I think I will pass.

Yeah I have since pushed it over the cliff too. It may work for someone of Twitney's age but it is not designed/geared to us COL's. Even in my younger years I would never have worn some of the things they sent. I shop on Amazon mostly these days for my clothes... I'm not that picky and don't dress up at all, just comfortable clothing of natural fibers.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Gramto6 said:

Yeah I have since pushed it over the cliff too. It may work for someone of Twitney's age but it is not designed/geared to us COL's. Even in my younger years I would never have worn some of the things they sent. I shop on Amazon mostly these days for my clothes... I'm not that picky and don't dress up at all, just comfortable clothing of natural fibers.

Heh. My clothes mostly  consists of cotton shorts and men's white cotton  undershirts that are three sizes too large. A pair of elastic waist jeans (2 sizes too large) that i wear to the grocery store. Since Rona my excursions pretty much consist of the gym and the grocery store.   

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Colleenna said:

Heh. My clothes mostly  consists of cotton shorts and men's white cotton  undershirts that are three sizes too large. A pair of elastic waist jeans (2 sizes too large) that i wear to the grocery store. Since Rona my excursions pretty much consist of the gym and the grocery store.   

You must be my sister from another mother!! 😄

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Colleenna said:

Oh FFS.

OBESITY is now being spelled  OB*SITY because the words obese and obesity are "triggering. " Ditto for why Weight Watchers was changed to  WW.

Someone stop the world  --- I want to get off.

Where?  

8 hours ago, auntjess said:

Where?  

I originally saw the article on the Babylon  Bee's true news site Not The Bee (they report real stuff that is so weird you'd swear it was made up.)  In the story are actual  tweets.

I also  Googled the term and the first use I saw was in a Psychology Today article from  2017. 

• Love 1
On 2/6/2021 at 4:13 PM, Colleenna said:

Oh FFS.

OBESITY is now being spelled  OB*SITY because the words obese and obesity are "triggering. " Ditto for why Weight Watchers was changed to  WW.

Oh FFS. That is some dumb shit. 

Sincerely, 

An OBESE+ Woman

• Love 7

Soooo... continuing with my idea of a slapstick parody of MBFFL,  it should feature: (on YouTube)

Excessive makeup, leggings and a sports bra that are too small

A wig with a motorized topknot that spins

Whitney  dry-humping Buddy's leg

Various  men (fast food workers,  baristas, etc) greeting her as part of their job, and she always says "He wants me...he's in the bag..." and then  pursues them as she brays. 

These are just a few ideas. 

• LOL 2
4 hours ago, Colleenna said:

Soooo... continuing with my idea of a slapstick parody of MBFFL,  it should feature: (on YouTube)

Various  men (fast food workers,  baristas, etc) greeting her as part of their job, and she always says "He wants me...he's in the bag..." and then  pursues them as she brays. 

Starring Tammy Slaton.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Colleenna said:

And instead of the talking head being Whitney, it should be the barnacles allowed to say whatever they want..... 

Buddy: 'So she told me not to touch her or get close to her but I can't get her to stop dry-humping me.' 

Fast Food worker: 'She told me I'm in love with her. What's her name again? I only know her as 4 pizzas a day girl'

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
35 minutes ago, Colleenna said:

Putting this in this thread because it doesn't fit anywhere else.... Apparently  Ryan and his girlfriend are expecting a baby in  August.  

Awww... congrats to them.  Whitney has to be going ape-shit. Not feeling sorry for her. 

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, 3girlsforus said:

Awww... congrats to them.  Whitney has to be going ape-shit. Not feeling sorry for her. 

"Waaa waaa waaaaaa, everybody's having babies and I don't have anyone to have a baby with. Poor pitiful meeeeee."

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

Now both Chase and Ryan will both have real families/babies and what does Twit the hater have...nada... After her throwing Ryan under the bus so much, it is sweet irony that another baby is due.

• Love 5
On 2/6/2021 at 1:13 PM, Colleenna said:

Oh FFS.

One very small, grudging bit of credit I'll give Whitney is that she doesn't shy away from the word "fat." She knows it's not a dirty word.

• Love 5

Y'all have gotten into my head. I was doing some online shopping and a dress was shown on a plus sized model that made her look really heavy, short and dumpy.  I saw her in other things on the same page where she looked quite nice.  When looking at that outfit, I thought, "That is Whitney levels of unflattering".   It's the worst possible rating on my new clothing assessment scale. 😁

• LOL 5
  • Love 2

@lightninggirl I love your field of expertise! American  regional accents  are a hobby of mine.  Most people hear "northern" "southern" "Midwestern" etc but there are literally hundreds. In Pennsylvania there are at least 4; in Virginia,  5 (maybe even 6). A "Midwestern" accent? There's a  HUGE difference between Minnesota and Michigan! Even within  NYC, Brooklyn is not Queens is not Long Island is not The Bronx.

Anyhow--- thanks for reminding me how much I love my hobby. 😊

• Love 3
17 hours ago, Colleenna said:

@lightninggirl I love your field of expertise! American  regional accents  are a hobby of mine.  Most people hear "northern" "southern" "Midwestern" etc but there are literally hundreds. In Pennsylvania there are at least 4; in Virginia,  5 (maybe even 6). A "Midwestern" accent? There's a  HUGE difference between Minnesota and Michigan! Even within  NYC, Brooklyn is not Queens is not Long Island is not The Bronx.

Anyhow--- thanks for reminding me how much I love my hobby. 😊

Yes! I spent a lot of time on dialectical prejudice in the US and the UK during my master’s degree, so I love that you were able to relate your hobby! And I love your hobby, too - it’s so neat and fascinating. 🥰❤️

Edited by lightninggirl
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Mothra said:

I've wondered about this, too.  I have an arthritic knee that's beginning to make our stairs difficult, so we looked into these.  They're really not that expensive.  There's also the idea of re-doing the downstairs bathroom, if it's the bathroom that's the problem.  Curious situation with several possible solutions.

Bringing this over here to say that a family friend had a stair lift put in.  It has been a life saver for him.  He doesn't always use it, but if he's having a bad day he's not trapped on one floor.  Also, he'll use it to take the groceries up and carry laundry up and down.  (In my area, the ground floor is the garage and the living area is up one flight of stairs.  That is, basements are above ground.) I had to help get him to the doctor in an emergency situation.  He is a rather large man, 6'5" and stocky.  I was happy to not have to try to help him down the stairs.  I could imagine the two of us in a heap on the floor, counting our injuries on four hands. 

• Love 4
21 hours ago, lightninggirl said:

Yes! I spent a lot of time on dialectical prejudice in the US and the UK during my master’s degree, so I love that you were able to relate your hobby! And I love your hobby, too - it’s so neat and fascinating. 🥰❤️

One of the most brilliant mathematicians I've ever known was frequently (mistakenly) regarded as less brilliant because he had this really thick Alabama accent.  

• Love 3

I was always terrified of going "under" with anesthesia, because of the 1 or 2 horror stories I read about people waking up during surgery...But having had two surgeries in the past 24  months, all my anesthesia teams were great, and assured me they monitor my brain waves throughout the operation, to make sure everything is going OK. FYI- both surgeries were anesthesia required (no choice).

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Emma C said:

I was always terrified of going "under" with anesthesia, because of the 1 or 2 horror stories I read about people waking up during surgery...But having had two surgeries in the past 24  months, all my anesthesia teams were great, and assured me they monitor my brain waves throughout the operation, to make sure everything is going OK. FYI- both surgeries were anesthesia required (no choice).

This is me as well. I refused to get a partial hysterectomy because I would need to be intubated. I never had major surgery all in my 49 years. I did have to spend 6 weeks in the hospital when I was 4 because I was burned head to toe. I had a major burn on my hip and they had to do a skin graft on my thigh. I don't remember much about it.

On 9/1/2021 at 11:59 PM, Colleenna said:

Even within  NYC, Brooklyn is not Queens is not Long Island is not The Bronx. 😊

And East Bronx is not West Bronx is not Riverdale is not South Bronx, LOL.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I've had 13 surgeries in the past 5 years. In addition to jaw and oral surgeries, I've lost my uterus, ovaries, appendix, gallbladder, spleen, and kidney. I've had 2 brain surgeries since 2012. General anesthesia is a big part of my life. 

I HATE how Whitney is treating COVID. She's been a complete hypocrite-not letting Ryan come in, but letting Lennie spend the night, etc. Now that she has had the vaccine COVID seems to no longer exist in her world. Meanwhile, my 10yo daughter got it 6 weeks ago and has to go on homebound because she's still experiencing fevers, body aches, breathing issues, and vomiting. I had COVID more than a year ago and still have problems. For one thing, I lost all my hair. 

Also...

I have 2 (married to each other) cousins who are in the hospital with COVID, both on ventilators. Mike is at 100% and isn't expected to live through the night, Barb is doing slightly better at 75%. They've been married for 43 years and have only ever spent a week apart and now they're on separate floors. Both thought COVID was a hoax. 

I wish people would stop acting like the pandemic is over. People can still get sick. If they had even just treated it like flu season and taken simple precautions (washed their hands often, not touched their faces, etc) then that would've at least been a *little* helpful. 

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk. 

17 minutes ago, Colleenna said:

About that question about firearms.... First time my doc asked that, I gave him The Stare of Death(TM) and said "You don't seriously expect me to answer that....." 

He hasn't asked since.  

Why would you not answer?

On 10/16/2021 at 6:11 PM, mamadrama said:

I have 2 (married to each other) cousins who are in the hospital with COVID, both on ventilators. Mike is at 100% and isn't expected to live through the night, Barb is doing slightly better at 75%. They've been married for 43 years and have only ever spent a week apart and now they're on separate floors. Both thought COVID was a hoax. 

I wish people would stop acting like the pandemic is over. People can still get sick. If they had even just treated it like flu season and taken simple precautions (washed their hands often, not touched their faces, etc) then that would've at least been a *little* helpful. 

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk. 

Update:

Female cousin was released yesterday. Unfortunately, her husband died this morning. It just became too much on his body and he had 2 massive heart attacks during the night. Married for 43 years. COVID still sucks. 

28 minutes ago, mamadrama said:

Update:

Female cousin was released yesterday. Unfortunately, her husband died this morning. It just became too much on his body and he had 2 massive heart attacks during the night. Married for 43 years. COVID still sucks. 

So sorry for your loss @mamadrama. Yes, indeed, COVID still sucks and always will!

• Love 4
8 hours ago, mamadrama said:

Update:

I am so sorry to hear this, @mamadrama, you have already been through so much, now this.  I just heard a similar story from a friend.  His best friend's sister and her husband were rabid anti-vaxxers.  Both were over 60 with conditions.  The husband brought home Covid and his wife died of it a few days ago after some time on a ventilator.  It's a grim reminder that even though the numbers may be low, people are still dying of this.  Many (((hugs))) to you.  

• Love 3
43 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

I am so sorry to hear this, @mamadrama, you have already been through so much, now this.  I just heard a similar story from a friend.  His best friend's sister and her husband were rabid anti-vaxxers.  Both were over 60 with conditions.  The husband brought home Covid and his wife died of it a few days ago after some time on a ventilator.  It's a grim reminder that even though the numbers may be low, people are still dying of this.  Many (((hugs))) to you.  

Yeah, it's really scary. I'm sure are so many stories like this about people who didn't believe in the seriousness of it. Unfortunately, a good number of my family members are like this.

My 10yo has to be homeschooled at least until January. She got COVID 5 weeks ago and has developed MIS-C (multi-system inflammatory syndrome in children). It's a rare condition that's affecting some kids who get COVID. It *can* get very serious, even deadly. Luckily, it hasn't affected Iris' heart or lungs so she's not as sick as she could be. 

For those who don't know, I had COVID over a year ago. I lost all my hair and had a mild heart attack. Nothing's worse than seeing your kid sick, though.

Resizer_16351335869150.thumb.jpg.00f7d92124df14d0bba068db4f108ee4.jpg

• Love 1
On 10/21/2021 at 8:31 PM, goofygirl said:

I just learned that one side effect of PCOS is really thick facial hair.  

I realise this comment is a few weeks old but, yes. I was diagnosed with PCOS in my 20s and have little hairs that need tweezing on a regular basis. I remember Whitney talking about this in one of the earlier episodes (when she was still likeable). 

I get so tired of her blaming PCOS for the size she is. Is it harder? YES—I work out 1.5-2 hours a day and have to keep my calories under 2,000. If I wanted to drop weight, it would be damn near a starvation diet (which I may have to do because I’m doing a marathon next spring and would like to be at a lower running weight so, 15-20lb less maybe). I’ve also suffered from anorexia so, I can empathise with just about anyone who struggles with this combo. 

It’s difficult, it’s “not fair” maybe but crying about it doesn’t keep a person healthy or fit—working with the cards you were dealt does. I wish I could tell her this because all her excuses are the same ones I could use—but don’t—because 350lb sounds like a terrible way to live. 

• Love 8
28 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

I realise this comment is a few weeks old but, yes. I was diagnosed with PCOS in my 20s and have little hairs that need tweezing on a regular basis. I remember Whitney talking about this in one of the earlier episodes (when she was still likeable). 

I get so tired of her blaming PCOS for the size she is. Is it harder? YES—I work out 1.5-2 hours a day and have to keep my calories under 2,000. If I wanted to drop weight, it would be damn near a starvation diet (which I may have to do because I’m doing a marathon next spring and would like to be at a lower running weight so, 15-20lb less maybe). I’ve also suffered from anorexia so, I can empathise with just about anyone who struggles with this combo. 

It’s difficult, it’s “not fair” maybe but crying about it doesn’t keep a person healthy or fit—working with the cards you were dealt does. I wish I could tell her this because all her excuses are the same ones I could use—but don’t—because 350lb sounds like a terrible way to live. 

Ditto,  except that now my facial hair is too much to tweeze so I shave. 

During lockdown,  I managed to actually lose weight instead of gaining the Covid 30, but I did it by essentially eating like a prisoner of war. Had to do it that way because there was no realistic way for me to work out. Even now, though I'm back in the gym swimming a couple of hours a day,  I still have to keep my calories under 2000. 

Sucks, but it is what it is. 

• Love 6
45 minutes ago, Colleenna said:

Ditto,  except that now my facial hair is too much to tweeze so I shave. 

During lockdown,  I managed to actually lose weight instead of gaining the Covid 30, but I did it by essentially eating like a prisoner of war. Had to do it that way because there was no realistic way for me to work out. Even now, though I'm back in the gym swimming a couple of hours a day,  I still have to keep my calories under 2000. 

Sucks, but it is what it is. 

Yeah it’s a tough hand to be dealt. Luckily I ran through the pandemic and also have an indoor cycle. I know for a fact, though, if I allow myself  indulgences for even just a week, I’ll notice it—my jeans become tighter (which is why I also wore jeans the whole pandemic—knew my rock revivals would not lie to me 🤣). 

I won’t be indulging over the holidays. It’s not worth it (I can’t eat gluten or dairy anyways so that helps!). 

• Love 3
11 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

Big Hugs to you TurtlePower!!! You GO!!

• Love 2

So this is sort of about Whitney since she's shilling for Athleta. Is there a workout clothing brand somewhere in price between Target and Athleta/Lulumon? I usually get my stuff at Old Navy because they carry tall but my daughter would like some workout shorts (doesn't need tall) and I'd like to get her something nicer but not $80 per pair. Is there something in between? 

1 hour ago, 3girlsforus said:

So this is sort of about Whitney since she's shilling for Athleta. Is there a workout clothing brand somewhere in price between Target and Athleta/Lulumon? I usually get my stuff at Old Navy because they carry tall but my daughter would like some workout shorts (doesn't need tall) and I'd like to get her something nicer but not $80 per pair. Is there something in between? 

Under Armour.  Shorts run about $40 but sometimes less.

• Love 2

Champion has upped their game recently.  If you can find an outlet, there are so great deals.  Side note, if you have a Hanes outlet store nearby, they carry Champion as well at even better prices.  

Under Armor can be pricey for certain things, but their stuff can be worth it.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, sixlets said:

Champion has upped their game recently.  If you can find an outlet, there are so great deals.  Side note, if you have a Hanes outlet store nearby, they carry Champion as well at even better prices.  

Under Armor can be pricey for certain things, but their stuff can be worth it.

Not to mention Hanes online that also sells Champion.

• Love 1

So, this is completely not about Twit, but about "big people" in general.  I keep getting these ads while I'm playing WWF for the "miracle pill" that will make you lose "40 pounds in 10 days,  no diet or exercise!" 

Here's what I want to know : who the hell falls for this bullshit and why?

• Love 1