Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: About Big People

• Start Topic

Shit. My tablet went kaput & had to be rebooted by Amazon tech mostly to factory specs. Meaning I lost all my browser bookmarks, along with apps & other stuff. It's gonna take hours to replace as many bookmarks as I can remember. Worse, I pay most of my creditors on-line -- I don't know their email addresses, much less the passwords to get into the accounts. I repeat, shit.

Anyway, take this as a word of warning: if you pay your creditors on-line, keep a record of their web addresses & your passwords on good ol' PAPER. Computers are wonderful -- until they aren't & they betray you.

• Useful 1
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

39 minutes ago, Colleenna said:

All that fat gave your  tablet a coronary  occlusion 😉

I've spent the day reinstalling this & that. At least one good thing came out of it. When I re-installed Instagram, I changed my name. So I can again read the accounts of the 2 barnacles who blocked me. HA! 😂

• LOL 10

I know what you're going through.
My pc went out before Christmas, and I when it finally came back, it had no passwords, etc.
On the other hand, it is so much faster.
I'd saved most of my passwords in emails, backed up with emails to AOL, which I never use, but still, there were some problems.
I treated myself to a laptop to stall off future problems, but there is a learning curve.
I was reading the board last night, and all of a sudden a man (later identified as "David," )started reading the page with my shows, out loud.  
I loved "One comma zero zero L B sisters..."
Finally got it off, but still not sure how I got it on to start with.

• Love 1

Am I the only person who hadn't heard of Chinese cupping?  
I play the PCH games (hey, I played a couple, won $5, played a bit more and won $100), and they have strange ads.
This looked like needle almost, attached to the upper arm.
When I clicked (hell, I was curious), it was all these cupping things.
Is this a fetish, or just woowoo?

1 hour ago, auntjess said:

Am I the only person who hadn't heard of Chinese cupping?  
I play the PCH games (hey, I played a couple, won $5, played a bit more and won $100), and they have strange ads.
This looked like needle almost, attached to the upper arm.
When I clicked (hell, I was curious), it was all these cupping things.
Is this a fetish, or just woowoo?

I don’t know about needles and fetishes but there is something called cupping that is a real therapy. It’s used by some chiropractors and physical therapists. 

• Love 3
On 1/12/2020 at 10:16 PM, 3girlsforus said:

I don’t know about needles and fetishes but there is something called cupping that is a real therapy. It’s used by some chiropractors and physical therapists. 

I've seen the indentation afterwards. I would try it, but, it looks too abusive to the skin for my taste. 

The data below is the kind of info Twit could have given Babs & Glenn.

According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention:

One in four Americans aged 65+ falls each year.

Every 11 seconds, an older adult is treated in the emergency room for a fall; every 19 minutes, an older adult dies from a fall.

Falls are the leading cause of fatal injury and the most common cause of nonfatal trauma-related hospital admissions among older adults.

Falls result in more than 2.8 million injuries treated in emergency departments annually, including over 800,000 hospitalizations and more than 27,000 deaths.

In 2015, the total cost of fall injuries was $50 billion. Medicare and Medicaid shouldered 75% of these costs.

The financial toll for older adult falls is expected to increase as the population ages and may reach $67.7 billion by 2020.

9 hours ago, Dot said:

The data below is the kind of info Twit could have given Babs & Glenn.

According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention:

One in four Americans aged 65+ falls each year.

Every 11 seconds, an older adult is treated in the emergency room for a fall; every 19 minutes, an older adult dies from a fall.

Falls are the leading cause of fatal injury and the most common cause of nonfatal trauma-related hospital admissions among older adults.

Falls result in more than 2.8 million injuries treated in emergency departments annually, including over 800,000 hospitalizations and more than 27,000 deaths.

In 2015, the total cost of fall injuries was $50 billion. Medicare and Medicaid shouldered 75% of these costs.

The financial toll for older adult falls is expected to increase as the population ages and may reach $67.7 billion by 2020.

Wow. That's  very interesting.  No wonder the doctor's office  includes  "have you fallen  recently " in the litany of questions  asked  at every  visit. 

Part of my workout is  core strengthening (important for balance) and working on  unstable  surfaces (balance  again.) Guess I need to step up  my game in this area.

• Love 2
On 1/5/2020 at 1:27 PM, Dot said:

Shit. My tablet went kaput & had to be rebooted by Amazon tech mostly to factory specs. Meaning I lost all my browser bookmarks, along with apps & other stuff. It's gonna take hours to replace as many bookmarks as I can remember. Worse, I pay most of my creditors on-line -- I don't know their email addresses, much less the passwords to get into the accounts. I repeat, shit.

Anyway, take this as a word of warning: if you pay your creditors on-line, keep a record of their web addresses & your passwords on good ol' PAPER. Computers are wonderful -- until they aren't & they betray you.

Hi, Dot: Consider looking into LastPass.  It stores your passwords in the cloud, so even if your laptop expires, you will still have access to all those accounts.  We use it where I work, and it has saved me more than once.

• Useful 1

Hey, I don't  remember  where the discussion was  about what frat Chase and Ryan were in, so I'll  put this here. On Chase's  IG page, the pic with him bartending  for a frat party, someone  asked if he was a Pike and he said  yes. He said Ryan is too. (Was that your  new IG account,  @Dot ?) 

8 minutes ago, Colleenna said:

Hey, I don't  remember  where the discussion was  about what frat Chase and Ryan were in, so I'll  put this here. On Chase's  IG page, the pic with him bartending  for a frat party, someone  asked if he was a Pike and he said  yes. He said Ryan is too. (Was that your  new IG account,  @Dot ?) 

I posted the bartending photo, but I never said Ryan was a Pike. In fact, I don't think that's been proven yet.

1 minute ago, Dot said:

I posted the bartending photo, but I never said Ryan was a Pike. In fact, I don't think that's been proven yet.

If you read the comments  by his followers on  that photo, one of THEM asks if he's a  Pike and he replies that he is. Someone else  asked if Ryan is also a Pike and Chase replied that Ryan is. I didn't  say that you claimed  he was. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Colleenna said:

If you read the comments  by his followers on  that photo, one of THEM asks if he's a  Pike and he replies that he is. Someone else  asked if Ryan is also a Pike and Chase replied that Ryan is. I didn't  say that you claimed  he was. 

Wow, thanks for that info. I am the one who asked the Q about Ryan, but I never saw that Chase replied. I'll have to take another look at his comments under the photo now that I know. Again, thanks! 

ETA: I just checked & there's the answer to the Q I have had since Chase turned up as Ryan's BFF. Their being frat bros makes a lot of sense since they both often act like they're still in college.

Edited by Dot
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, Dot said:

Wow, thanks for that info. I am the one who asked the Q about Ryan, but I never saw that Chase replied. I'll have to take another look at his comments under the photo now that I know. Again, thanks! 

ETA: I just checked & there's the answer to the Q I have had since Chase turned up as Ryan's BFF. Their being frat bros makes a lot of sense since they both often act like they're still in college.

What's  interesting to me is that they were members  back when the hazing incident occurred  that got the Pike chapter  kicked out. Apparently  they took a pledge to the mountains and forced him to drink until  his BAC, measured by the  hospital,  was .42 --- 5 times the legal limit in NC and very  near fatal.  

Great guys.🤬

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, Colleenna said:

What's  interesting to me is that they were members  back when the hazing incident occurred  that got the Pike chapter  kicked out. Apparently  they took a pledge to the mountains and forced him to drink until  his BAC, measured by the  hospital,  was .42 --- 5 times the legal limit in NC and very  near fatal.  

Great guys.🤬

Why am I not surprised that those 2 would be involved in an uber-drinking event?

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 2/7/2020 at 12:38 AM, Dot said:

While Whitney still acts like she’s in middle school, no wonder she thinks she’s one of the “cool kids” now.   

Edited by Irate Panda
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1

Boris Johnson was just been moved to the ICU. The physician commenters are discussing his risk factors and evidently being overweight is right in there along with diabetes and heart disease.  Of course, smoking also increases the risk of a bad outcome.

I don't follow Twit's social media. Has she posted anything recently?

5 hours ago, Me from ME said:

Boris Johnson was just been moved to the ICU. The physician commenters are discussing his risk factors and evidently being overweight is right in there along with diabetes and heart disease.  Of course, smoking also increases the risk of a bad outcome.

I don't follow Twit's social media. Has she posted anything recently?

She posted yesterday about the NoBarriers organization, her posts have been sparse.

• Useful 2
1 hour ago, Irate Panda said:

She posted yesterday about the NoBarriers organization, her posts have been sparse.

She also posted a video of her mother and her on the front porch.  I noticed that  she wasn't  wearing  her faaaabulous  engagement ring.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
50 minutes ago, Colleenna said:

She also posted a video of her mother and her on the front porch.  I noticed that  she wasn't  wearing  her faaaabulous  engagement ring.  

Good catch. I missed that. 

I don't know how many of you  read the Babylon  Bee (a satire site), but today they had a post about Slim Jim taking a stand  for "body positivity " by introducing  "Full Figure Jim." I must confess:

(1) I snerked  when I  read it

(2) I immediately thought of  Twit

(3) My next thought was that  Twit probably would  eat that crap. 🤮

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

When you’re in quarantine, and a family member sees MBFFL for the first time, and thinks the show is great!  You’re like 

giphy.gif

but you keep everything inside because you’re stuck in quarantined with this person so you just suffer in silence

giphy.gif

*I’m not really outraged but wonder how many episodes it will take until it’s not a great show anymore lol.

Edited by Irate Panda
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Irate Panda said:

*I’m not really outraged but wonder how many episodes it will take until it’s not a great show anymore lol.

Maybe until they rerun the peeing in the hot tub episode?

• LOL 5
3 hours ago, koelek said:

I think big people are lazy people. Of course there are those who have problems with hormones, but the majority of people are just lazy to lose weight. Just on the Internet you can find a lot of different ways to lose weight, a lot of blogs where write about which diets are effective and which are not. 

I have good friend who is very overweight.  She is NOT lazy. She can outwork me. She has however bought the lie that she can be healthy and overweight. 

• Love 1
17 hours ago, koelek said:

I think big people are lazy people. Of course there are those who have problems with hormones, but the majority of people are just lazy to lose weight. Just on the Internet you can find a lot of different ways to lose weight, a lot of blogs where write about which diets are effective and which are not. 

I challenge you to do  MY workout  routine  --- an hour of weight lifting  followed by a 2 mile swim --- 3 days a week for a  month and then come back  and tell me how lazy I am. 

Edit to add: Oh, did I forget to  mention that  I'm  72 years old?

Edited by Colleenna
Additional information
  • Love 6

I'm afraid that I'm going to have to go away for awhile. We just found out that my mother has metastatic pancreatic cancer. Thankfully I work at one of the top cancer centers in the world, but I know too well what this means. We're in for a real fight in the coming weeks.

3 hours ago, Hana Chan said:

I'm afraid that I'm going to have to go away for awhile. We just found out that my mother has metastatic pancreatic cancer. Thankfully I work at one of the top cancer centers in the world, but I know too well what this means. We're in for a real fight in the coming weeks.

Sorry to hear about your mum.  Sending good thoughts your way.

• Love 2

Where ever this road takes you Hana, may you find peace and comfort in those that surround and support you.  Most of us have been there or will be at some point in our lives and all I can say is that I will pray for this journey to make you strong and give you the opportunity to be there for your mom in whatever capacity she needs.

• Love 4

Oh my god you guys, Whitney showed up in my (historically very weird and vivid) dreams this morning!  Of course she was practically naked, fresh out of the shower, and surrounded by barnacles; they were all in my way as I was trying to rush around doing something.  I think I was so frantic because in another part of my dreamworld I was an accomplished athlete/chef who was competing in some sort of weird hybrid sports/cooking event.  And then the whole thing changed (like it does in dreams) and I was eating Tastykakes with Joe Biden, who SCRAPED THE FROSTING OFF OF A BUTTERSCOTCH KRIMPET AND THREW IT AWAY.  I started screaming at him, "YOU'RE A MONSTER, JOE BIDEN!!" and then my husband woke me up because I had overslept and was in danger of being late for my car maintenance appointment.

I think I need to stop frequenting these boards, watching Top Chef Masters (I'm on S3 on Peacock), and reading news feeds.

[NOTE:  Opinions expressed in dreamworld may or may not be indicative of real life, because we don't talk politics here.  Democrat, Republican, or whatever, though, anyone who defaces a Krimpet like that deserves to be labeled a monster 🙂 ] 

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
41 minutes ago, Lovecat said:

Oh my god you guys, Whitney showed up in my (historically very weird and vivid) dreams this morning!  Of course she was practically naked, fresh out of the shower, and surrounded by barnacles; they were all in my way as I was trying to rush around doing something.  I think I was so frantic because in another part of my dreamworld I was an accomplished athlete/chef who was competing in some sort of weird hybrid sports/cooking event.  And then the whole thing changed (like it does in dreams) and I was eating Tastykakes with Joe Biden, who SCRAPED THE FROSTING OFF OF A BUTTERSCOTCH KRIMPET AND THREW IT AWAY.  I started screaming at him, "YOU'RE A MONSTER, JOE BIDEN!!" and then my husband woke me up because I had overslept and was in danger of being late for my car maintenance appointment.

I think I need to stop frequenting these boards, watching Top Chef Masters (I'm on S3 on Peacock), and reading news feeds.

[NOTE:  Opinions expressed in dreamworld may or may not be indicative of real life, because we don't talk politics here.  Democrat, Republican, or whatever, though, anyone who defaces a Krimpet like that deserves to be labeled a monster 🙂 ] 

I would  eat the  butterscotch and throw the cake away. 

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, Colleenna said:

I would  eat the  butterscotch and throw the cake away. 

I mean, if I had a choice between the two?  Absolutely!  The frosting's the best part.  You lick that stuff off of the wrapper if you have to, but you do not under any circumstances waste it.

On 10/21/2020 at 10:34 AM, Hana Chan said:

best wishes for your mom

• Love 2

So, I gotta vent about this.  I just saw one of those Internet  popup ads for Barilla pasta. It features a  FULL SIZED dinner plate piled at least 3" deep with spaghetti and meatballs.  For  God's sake,  there's at least 1200 calories worth of JUST PASTA on that plate. Like, a Whitney  sized portion.  Is it any wonder we have an obesity problem in the United States? 

Or hey, the TV commercial where mother and daughter are eating  ice cream out of bowls that each hold over a pint?

• Love 2
On 11/26/2020 at 12:32 AM, Colleenna said:

On 11/25/2020 at 9:54 PM, readheaded said:

Things have come a long way since the days of the little belt that held a brick-sized pad in place.

Ugh, the Y shaped elastic that always rolled into butt floss. 

For you youngsters, imagine thong panties that are only 1" wide and have no crotch, but have metal clips front and rear....

74fdcd2dbec6534df83a21dd458016f8.jpg

For you young women...funny, yet fairly accurate!

• Love 1
On 11/25/2020 at 10:22 PM, Colleenna said:

Ugh, the Y shaped elastic that always rolled into butt floss. 

For you youngsters, imagine thong panties that are only 1" wide and have no crotch, but have metal clips front and rear....

I'm in my mid 60's now and boy oh boy the horror & indescribable embarrassment & humiliation that I'm sure many my age will never forget either LOL.  

Those cups were around briefly in the late 70's I'm guessing? Ugh.   Cm'on man, Whitney shilling for stuff like this is as believable as her shilling for alfalfa sprouts.  

Edited by Snarkastikate
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Snarkastikate said:

I'm in my mid 60's now and boy oh boy the horror & indescribable embarrassment & humiliation that I'm sure many my age will never forget either LOL.  

Those cups were around briefly in the late 70's I'm guessing? Ugh.   Cm'on man, Whitney shilling for stuff like this is as believable as her shilling for alfalfa sprouts.  

After about 3 months of wrestling with the belt, I resorted to safety-pinning the pad to my undies. Occasionally the safety pin would catch on my public hair (ow!). But I'm in my 70s, and when I was growing up,  "good" girls didn't use tampons.  Especially when they are only 11.

• Love 4

So. Whitney is going to wind up being bedbound,  "bathed" by Buddy with a garden hose on the back porch.  But how will she pay Buddy?

Well, don't most of Dr. Now's patients  receive disability? I'm sure she can pay him out of that. Or maybe  Glenn and Babs can pay him. 

• Love 1
59 minutes ago, Colleenna said:

So. Whitney is going to wind up being bedbound,  "bathed" by Buddy with a garden hose on the back porch.  But how will she pay Buddy?

Well, don't most of Dr. Now's patients  receive disability? I'm sure she can pay him out of that. Or maybe  Glenn and Babs can pay him. 

I would think Babs and Glenn would pay handsomely to avoid having to do it themselves 

• Love 4
On 12/1/2020 at 5:05 PM, Colleenna said:

After about 3 months of wrestling with the belt, I resorted to safety-pinning the pad to my undies. Occasionally the safety pin would catch on my public hair (ow!). But I'm in my 70s, and when I was growing up,  "good" girls didn't use tampons.  Especially when they are only 11.

The better part of my childhood would've been better if my mom had let me use tampons. I started when I was 9 and I felt terrible walking around the 3rd and 4th grade in what felt like a diaper. And I had endometriosis and a really heavy flow. 

I had a hysterectomy at 30. Thank God it's over. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, mamadrama said:

The better part of my childhood would've been better if my mom had let me use tampons. I started when I was 9 and I felt terrible walking around the 3rd and 4th grade in what felt like a diaper. And I had endometriosis and a really heavy flow. 

I had a hysterectomy at 30. Thank God it's over. 

I hear ya. Fortunately I was ahead of my age cohort academically,  so I was in 7th grade at 11, and many of the other  7th grade girls were getting their first flow. And I had a hysterectomy at 20 because of ovarian  teratomas. Sometimes just for fun I add up all the  $$ I saved on birth control,  tampons,  etc between the ages of 20 and  50. It's not insubstantial  😄

• LOL 1
  • Love 4