Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: About Big People

• Start Topic

As an addendum to the previous discussion, I was talking with my 90 year old father today, who I use as my "reality check" for everything historical about whether obesity was much rarer back in the day and his answer was very animated and funny (he's as sharp as a tack for his age).  He said, "Are you kidding me?  Of course not!" and proceeded to peel off a long list of people both famous and not famous going back to about the year 1.  What am I going to do when he's no longer around to do stuff like that, LOL?

Some famous people he reminded me of from decades ago were Kate Smith, Walter Hudson, Fatty Arbuckle, Oliver Hardy, William Howard Taft, Mama Cass, Jackie Gleason, Raymond Burr, Sidney Greenstreet, Dom DeLuise, William Conrad, Orson Welles, etc.

fatmen.jpg

• Love 2
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, Snarklepuss said:

Some famous people he reminded me of from decades ago were Kate Smith, Walter Hudson, Fatty Arbuckle, Oliver Hardy, William Howard Taft, Mama Cass, Jackie Gleason, Raymond Burr, Sidney Greenstreet, Dom DeLuise, William Conrad, Orson Welles, etc.

fatmen.jpg

Of course, there were fat ppl decades-plus ago. But that doesn't negate the scientific studies that show ppl globally have become taller & fatter than their ancestors.

• Love 8
(edited)
11 hours ago, Snarklepuss said:

As an addendum to the previous discussion, I was talking with my 90 year old father today, who I use as my "reality check" for everything historical about whether obesity was much rarer back in the day and his answer was very animated and funny (he's as sharp as a tack for his age).  He said, "Are you kidding me?  Of course not!" and proceeded to peel off a long list of people both famous and not famous going back to about the year 1.  What am I going to do when he's no longer around to do stuff like that, LOL?

fatmen.jpg

We have to remember, too, that in an age of shortages and starvation, looking like these guys was a sign of affluence and wealth. It was a statement that you could afford plenty of good, rich food where many could not. Fat babies and fat children made the same statement.

Edited by okerry
  • Love 6
38 minutes ago, okerry said:

We have to remember, too, that in an age of shortages and starvation, looking like these guys was a sign of affluence and wealth. It was a statement that you could afford plenty of good, rich food where many could not. Fat babies and fat children made the same statement.

In Fiddler on the Roof, in "If I were a rich man," he sings I see my wife, my Golde, looking like a rich man's wife
With a proper double-chin.."

• Love 4
(edited)
3 hours ago, Dot said:

Of course, there were fat ppl decades-plus ago. But that doesn't negate the scientific studies that show ppl globally have become taller & fatter than their ancestors.

Of course not, but my posts were to counter the widespread perception that obese people were rare creatures that you just didn't see out there very much until relatively recently.  Not the case.  Even the statistics show that the category of being overweight in general has stayed the same or even gone down (in men) in the last 50 years in the US.  Plus "extreme" obesity (BMI over 40) has not increased as much as regular obesity - The biggest increase is in women who are classified as just obese, not morbidly obese.  Now I have no idea whether these statistics (from the CDC) factor in an aging population, changes in ethnic populations, etc.  I am sure that those things also affect the statistics and need to be factored into the equation to get a more realistic picture.  The US population in 1960 was most likely proportionately younger and whiter and the change in these factors would certainly affect the statistics (most likely towards the more obese end) towards the present time.

fig-1.gif

(Statistics from the CDC)

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 2
44 minutes ago, Snarklepuss said:

Of course not, but my posts were to counter the widespread perception that obese people were rare creatures that you just didn't see out there very much until relatively recently.  Not the case.  Even the statistics show that the category of being overweight in general has stayed the same or even gone down (in men) in the last 50 years in the US.  Plus "extreme" obesity (BMI over 40) has not increased as much as regular obesity - The biggest increase is in women who are classified as just obese, not morbidly obese.  Now I have no idea whether these statistics (from the CDC) factor in an aging population, changes in ethnic populations, etc.  I am sure that those things also affect the statistics and need to be factored into the equation to get a more realistic picture.  The US population in 1960 was most likely proportionately younger and whiter and the change in these factors would certainly affect the statistics (most likely towards the more obese end) towards the present time.

fig-1.gif

(Statistics from the CDC)

I'm curious (and not being argumentative).  Was this chart adjusted to show the changes in what the medical profession has historically defined to be Overweight, Obese, and Extremely Obese?  Those parameters have changed; someone who might have been seen as Overweight  in 1960 might now be classed as Obese, or vice versa.  

It's similar to cholesterol levels.  Thirty years ago, my company gave us a health bonus if our cholesterol score was below 205.  Nowadays, that's considered really high . . . because new meds CAN get the numbers a lot lower.  My cholesterol is now about 185, and my doctors keep harping on how high it is, even though it's 20 points lower than it was 30 years ago.

• Love 1

Just as being heavy was once a sign of affluence so was skin tone. The wealthy could stay inside or on the front porch and remain alabaster while those doing physical work became tan. My father-in-law once told my husband derisively that he had a "farmer's tan" since he had been outside wearing a T-shirt.

Now, the wealthy can sun themselves on vacation while those who do indoor work but can't afford vacations to the South in winter are pale.  (This, of course is changing as the better educated are becoming aware of the skin cancer.)

• Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, AZChristian said:

I'm curious (and not being argumentative).  Was this chart adjusted to show the changes in what the medical profession has historically defined to be Overweight, Obese, and Extremely Obese?  Those parameters have changed; someone who might have been seen as Overweight  in 1960 might now be classed as Obese, or vice versa.  

It's similar to cholesterol levels.  Thirty years ago, my company gave us a health bonus if our cholesterol score was below 205.  Nowadays, that's considered really high . . . because new meds CAN get the numbers a lot lower.  My cholesterol is now about 185, and my doctors keep harping on how high it is, even though it's 20 points lower than it was 30 years ago.

Yes, that's a good question and I was thinking about that too.  The chart doesn't say if it's adjusted for the change in definitions of what constitutes overweight vs. obese vs. extremely obese since the study began.  I think it was based on BMI, which I don't believe has changed.  You can see the description of the CDC study here:

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/hestat/obesity_adult_11_12/obesity_adult_11_12.htm

I haven't read all of it yet, but it might answer your question.

According to the new BMI/Obesity definitions I am only 2 BMI points away from being considered "morbidly obese" at 208 lbs. (I'm about Whitney's height). I wear a Misses size large or XL in most tops and a 16W size pants.  When I told my husband that I was so close to being considered "morbidly obese" he told me I have to "stop listening to that crap" (his words).

Getting back to a former point, knowing that the population is living longer, there are likely to be more obese people alive at any given time since older people tend to be heavier, and this can skew the obesity statistics higher.  In prior eras, obese people didn't live as long as they do now due to not having the cures and medications to keep them alive longer, so there would be fewer older people factored into the study.  Case in point was my great grandmother's brother, who died in 1920 at age 54 from Type 2 diabetes.  He would have definitely lived longer had he been alive today.

Although one thing definitely not factored into that chart is the childhood obesity rate (it reports on adults only), which is going out of control these days.  You can't blame that on longevity.  I blame the lack of exercise and too much sugar in the diet.  When I was a kid I spent all day outside playing.  Today more kids are inside more playing computer games, etc., because parents are afraid to let them out to play.

P.S. - I'm going through the same thing with the cholesterol, although I can't take the statin drugs or any derivative - I even tried red yeast rice and had bad side effects, unfortunately.  My doctor told me that my number isn't that high that I should be that worried about it.  He's old enough to remember when the cut off was higher.

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 2

Thanks for the clarification.  You and I could be twins (same size, but I'm shorter)!

Back to cholesterol . . . have you tried niacin?  I won't take statins, and my doctor supports the concept of more natural ways of addressing issues.  I started at 500 mg (FLUSH-FREE), and added 500 mg every week until I got to my current level of 2,000 mg daily.  My cholesterol dropped 40 points with no other changes in diet or exercise.  

On 5/6/2017 at 9:23 PM, AZChristian said:

Thanks for the clarification.  You and I could be twins (same size, but I'm shorter)!

Back to cholesterol . . . have you tried niacin?  I won't take statins, and my doctor supports the concept of more natural ways of addressing issues.  I started at 500 mg (FLUSH-FREE), and added 500 mg every week until I got to my current level of 2,000 mg daily.  My cholesterol dropped 40 points with no other changes in diet or exercise.  

Yes, I do take niacin and was very hopeful that it would make a difference, but it didn't, sorry to say.  I keep getting my lipids confused but Niacin helps the one I don't need help with, if I recall correctly.  I was so hopeful with the red yeast rice that I went out and bought a big bottle only to find it gave me the same old symptoms.  Taking that I'd end up in a wheelchair inside of a month!  The aches and pains are that bad!

• Love 1
On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 9:14 PM, Cherrio said:

Ketzel said Whitney has inspired her to want to up her level of fitness and health. I think we can all channel our toxic feelings for such a bad example , Her Royal Assholeness Whitney into something really positive.

Mod, maybe we can have a separate area?

I think the posters here are a really great group of people. I have also read a lot of painful posts about struggles, winning battles and a lot of inspiration. There are also quite a few folks here that may be able to help anyone who wants some help in food choices and working out.

I would love to help anyone with my philosophy and the way I lost weight, kept it off and changed both physically and mentally with one little 20 minute workout.  I am not selling anything. :)

It is worth a try imo.

I am finally reading this thread.  :)  Cherrio, was the thread you suggested created and did you share your technique?  I am always interested in adding some variety to workouts.  Thank you!

So is anyone else watching Victorian Slum House on PBS? 
Only one episode per decade, 1860s-1900, I think, which does keep modern sensibilities from creeping in too much, as they did with Manor House and Frontier House.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, auntjess said:

Only one episode per decade, 1860s-1900, I think, which does keep modern sensibilities from creeping in too much, as they did with Manor House and Frontier House.

I am watching & enjoying. I thought the first of this type programming, Manor House, was pretty careful with history. That series about life on a Western ranch was a disaster, historically. When the female cook or housekeeper or skivy -- whatever the hell she was -- decided she was quitting her woman's work & going on a trail drive with the guys, I threw up my hands in disgust. They finished off their anachronisms by only harvesting enuf hay to feed the animals for about a week of winter.

After the first 2 episodes, the only anachronism I've thus far observed in the Victorian Slum House is letting the single mom & her kids get away with not paying their "tic" and rent. Her ass would have been kicked out the door -- and wasn't. If they keep failing to be true to history, I will quit watching. Having earned my BA degree in history, I have no use for those kinds of inaccuracies.

• Love 1

What I remember disliking about Manor House, was that the man cast as the lord of the manor, was in fact, an upper class man with a big house.  I saw that as unthinking British everyone-in-their-place casting.
I watched Frontier House, and there was a good bit of cheating.
Colonial House lost me when the woman decided she wasn't going to attend church, something she couldn't have done in the 17th century without punishment, possibly the stocks.
http://forums.previously.tv/forum/3202-the-victorian-slum/

• Love 2
On 5/11/2017 at 3:46 PM, auntjess said:

I am watching, thanks to you - I never knew about the "House" series, which is unlike me because it's right up my street.  So far I agree that there have been a few inaccuracies but in general it does make me appreciate what I have now.  Plus, my father's father's side is Jewish and my great grandparents settled in Whitechapel in the 1880s, having fled Russia/Poland, and opened a tailoring business.  This show is teaching me a little about what their lives would have been like living there.

I've been to Whitechapel, even saw the modest house my grandfather lived in when he was born in 1895.  It still stands.  They lived better than a lot of people in that neighborhood, now I know. 

So again, thanks!

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, Maggienolia said:

For lack of anywhere else/better to post this: does anyone know if there is a forum for the Big Little show? 

There's a temporary one at the M600PL forum; that moderator sez she is trying to get a permanent one opened.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

1.  I'm not a "Carnival" person.  

2.  If I WERE a "Carnival" person and knew that Whitney was going to be on a cruise I had planned to take, I'd cancel my reservation.  (Khate Gosselin was supposed to be on a Royal Caribbean - I think - cruise.  I wouldn't have gone on that one either.  There are SOME celebrities I'd pay a bit extra to cruise with, but probably not anyone from TLC.)

I know people went on the Joe Kenda cruise.
I've never been on a cruise, but attended some mysteries conferences some years back, and found that one author whose books I liked, had a much higher opinion of herself that I did.  Always borrowed her books from the library after that.

I'm trying to think who'd I'd want to meet.  Maybe some of the people from Nightwatch, and possibly a few detectives from crime shows.
Mike Holmes maybe--love his show, but some of his workers and tradespeople might be more fun to hang out with.

2 minutes ago, auntjess said:

I know people went on the Joe Kenda cruise.
I've never been on a cruise, but attended some mysteries conferences some years back, and found that one author whose books I liked, had a much higher opinion of herself that I did.  Always borrowed her books from the library after that.

I'm trying to think who'd I'd want to meet.  Maybe some of the people from Nightwatch, and possibly a few detectives from crime shows.
Mike Holmes maybe--love his show, but some of his workers and tradespeople might be more fun to hang out with.

I would have loved to go on the Joe Kenda cruise!!!

We've been on 18 cruises so far, and there are two more in the works.  We've not done (and probably wouldn't pay the extra to do) a "celebrity" cruise.  We are more interested in a destination and the activities available when we get there.  Ziplines are a big draw!  

Our favorite ongoing activity on a cruise ship was on a 14-day round-trip from L.A. to Hawaii and back.  They had an attorney on board who would give presentations on real-life murder stories.  As a Dateline addict, I was already familiar with most of them.  When he'd invite questions from the audience, I'd ask stuff like, "Was that suicide note handwritten or done on a computer?"  He picked up right away that I was a true-crime geek, and we had some great conversations when we met around the ship.  We started out with about 20 people showing up, but word-of-mouth talking among the passengers caused it to swell to well over 200 by the time we were cruising back to L.A.

On one of our Alaskan cruises, we met a couple from the U.K., and I LOVE all things British, so we chatted with them a couple of times.  Then one day, the cruise newsletter advertised a presentation in the theater on a sea day, featuring a gentleman who had served in the British version of the secret service.  He had guarded the queen, several prime ministers . . . even Princess Di.  We got there early to get good seats, and noticed our U.K. friends coming into the auditorium.  I leaned over to hubby and said, "I bet they'll find this REALLY interesting!"  

And then our U.K. friend picked up a stack of papers, walked up onto the stage, and proceeded to give the presentation about his time in the U.K. version of the secret service.  Our jaws hit the floor.  He had never said a word!!!

• Love 4

I think the US river and coastal cruises look interesting.
Probably all are beyond my budget.  I'm not drawn to tropical climes, but a transatlantic crossing is appealing.

On the crime people, I love listening to Rhodie from Killing Fields, also Rod Demery.  Love the Louisiana accents.

a transatlantic crossing is appealing

Those are my absolute favorite for many reasons. Being at sea and away from intrusions of the modern world for several days at a time is something I very much enjoy. On the more formal ships with men in black tie and women in gowns and being attended to is so much like living in an English country house if only for a week. For me a real vacation does not involve an automobile or air travel so a transatlantic is my preferred means of transportation. I could go on...

In December there is a crossing which features the crossword puzzle creators of the NY Times which is highly tempting to me. That is probably the only themed trip I would pay for. I have travelled on the same voyages as various well known people -  not that I knew them but we just happened to have the same destinations.

On one trip I remember talking to a couple from Oxford, I believe his father had been a professor and Linus Pauling was a family friend. The man described sitting at the kitchen table one day and listening to his father and Linus musing about how odd it seemed that they didn't get head colds when they drank orange juice. (Linus Pauling theorized that Vitamin C was somewhat protective against rhinovirus.) To me, that was far more interesting than seeing a well known actor at the Purser's desk at 4 am wearing only his bathrobe and slippers but that's just me.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Me from ME said:

For me a real vacation does not involve an automobile

For me, my very favorite trip is a road trip.  I grew up on them, and there's nothing like poring over maps, and loading up the trunk.
The largest ships I've been on have been ferries, crossing from Scotland to N. Ireland and back.
It's a short crossing, and my friends and I booked 2nd class tickets.  We enjoyed waiting while 1st class dogs were boarded first.

There's only one ship I know of that does the transatlantic route and has kennels. The cats and dogs who are relocating with their families wait to board right outside the equivalent of the First Class passenger lounge. And they really aren't afraid to show their excitement. They participate in the mandatory life boat drill wearing custom made pfds and on one of the formal nights have their photographs taken by the professional on board photographer. They wear coats which are issued to them as part of their travel package and pose with their family who are also in their finery. There are a few group pictures also. There is a stipulation that the humans must visit their four legged family members for a certain number of hours a day so by the end of the crossing everyone in that community is well acquainted with each other and the group photos are full of joy.

BTW I like road trips too but I don't really consider them to be vacations. I like nothing better than taking to the wilderness in my 4WD with camping equipment, food, water and maps not knowing what adventure lies ahead.

• Love 4
On 5/28/2017 at 10:30 AM, Me from ME said:

There's only one ship I know of that does the transatlantic route and has kennels. The cats and dogs who are relocating with their families wait to board right outside the equivalent of the First Class passenger lounge. And they really aren't afraid to show their excitement. They participate in the mandatory life boat drill wearing custom made pfds and on one of the formal nights have their photographs taken by the professional on board photographer. They wear coats which are issued to them as part of their travel package and pose with their family who are also in their finery. There are a few group pictures also. There is a stipulation that the humans must visit their four legged family members for a certain number of hours a day so by the end of the crossing everyone in that community is well acquainted with each other and the group photos are full of joy.

BTW I like road trips too but I don't really consider them to be vacations. I like nothing better than taking to the wilderness in my 4WD with camping equipment, food, water and maps not knowing what adventure lies ahead.

I hate road trips but am right there with the wilderness thing. I grew up on 200 acres of forest/rolling hills and spent a lot of time alone in the woods. As far as vacations, our next one is going to be with Amtrak. I hate the idea of flying (cause the airlines are assholes) and the cost is about the same and for that, we get a sleeper car (and a dining car with real food) and unique views of the landscape.

• Love 3

As far as vacations, our next one is going to be with Amtrak. I hate the idea of flying (cause the airlines are assholes) and the cost is about the same and for that, we get a sleeper car (and a dining car with real food) and unique views of the landscape.

Following my usual rule of reserving air and car travel for getting from point to point and only when necessary, I have travelled several thousand miles on Amtrak and have the stories to prove it. It seems as if there was also something out of the ordinary on the long trips. I could  write a book.

Once we boarded in San Antonio, stopped in Fort Worth or a while - we got out to stretch our legs. Returned to our bedroom to see several law enforcement officers with guns drawn knocking on the room next to us. There was a drug sniffing dog and we saw the young couple who had been in the room next door marched off, under custody, and bare foot. We should have thought something was unusual when the conductor came to our room shortly after SA and gave us coupons for free drinks at the bar. That was to smoke the younger couple out but they stayed in their room. But that's not what I found interesting it was that we looked for  the police who we had seen outside our room dressed believably as college students, middle aged housewives and business men around the train as we continued on to Chicago.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/28/2017 at 1:30 PM, Me from ME said:

wow! That is so interesting!
I've never really thought about there being a true "cruise" ship out there which welcomes dogs & has kennels on board. That would be so awesome to do one day.

I'm a cruise fan myself as well. My dad absolutely loves travel, so when I was growing up we traveled a lot as a family both nationally & internationally, including cruising. My dad was actually always pretty resistant to cruises, he didn't think he'd enjoy them...but my grandmother had always wanted to take one w/ the family, so in IIRC 2000 (maybe '01), when I was 7-8 years old, we went on our first cruise -- 14 days through the Panama Canal -- the whole family was hooked! After that, we ended up going on...probably about 15(+) cruises in various parts of the world. At this point though, I haven't been on one since 2011...I've actually not even traveled outside the country at all I don't think since 2012 ...fun things like that are harder to do as a broke-ass adult, hah!

Somewhat related to the topic of cruises ...my brother is currently in school at a maritime college, studying marine transportation; and each year as a part of his schooling, he does a full "sea term" -- a couple months spent working & studying on the school's training ship as it travels around the globe. It's such cool stuff he's doing up there. =) 

Edited by supaflyskye
  • Love 1

@AKC, I have a Q for you about something you wrote upthread, viz., if you found out Twit was scheduled for one of your cruises, you would cancel your reservation. How would you find out; do the cruiselines "warn" you when it's a so-called celebrity cruise? Also, those ships are so huge that I assume the celeb & his/her fans are only a small sample of the population. So, how do the celebs separate out their people? Or does everyone mix & mingle?

20 minutes ago, Dot said:

@AKC, I have a Q for you about something you wrote upthread, viz., if you found out Twit was scheduled for one of your cruises, you would cancel your reservation. How would you find out; do the cruiselines "warn" you when it's a so-called celebrity cruise? Also, those ships are so huge that I assume the celeb & his/her fans are only a small sample of the population. So, how do the celebs separate out their people? Or does everyone mix & mingle?

The cruise line itself probably wouldn't advertise it; there's at least one other company that schedules these "appearances," and you have to go to THEIR website for information and reservations.  If you look at the cost of the regular cruise vs the cost of the "celebrity" cruise, there's a noticeable difference in cost per person.  The extra amount goes to paying the "celebrity"; and those who pay that price get to go to private events on the ship that mere mortals are barred from.  

We had made reservations for a Royal Caribbean cruise next year.  I started hearing rumors that there was an Amy Roloff cruise on RC during that same time frame, so I started googling like crazy to make sure it wasn't on our ship.  When one sees how rabid fans can be, it's a little offputting to think about being stuck on a cruise ship with a bunch of people who are big fans of someone we are - not - fans of.  (If I were "accidentally" on a cruise ship with Hugh Jackman or Benedict Cumberbatch, I could force myself to sail anyway.)  

Several years ago, Khate Gosselin was supposed to do a cruise.  Those who booked to be part of that would have opportunities to attend classes on how to clip coupons and would attend dinner somewhere near "her gloriousness."  However, there were not enough rabid fans with enough money (or interest) to  meet the minimum requirement for the block of cabins that the cruise line required, so the cruise was scrapped.  Kind of like Khate's career.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

As far as vacations, our next one is going to be with Amtrak

I love train travel, and clocked lots of miles at one time.  Nothing like being rocked to sleep as you look out the window.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

The cruise line itself probably wouldn't advertise it; there's at least one other company that schedules these "appearances," and you have to go to THEIR website for information and reservations.  If you look at the cost of the regular cruise vs the cost of the "celebrity" cruise, there's a noticeable difference in cost per person.  The extra amount goes to paying the "celebrity"; and those who pay that price get to go to private events on the ship that mere mortals are barred from.  

We had made reservations for a Royal Caribbean cruise next year.  I started hearing rumors that there was an Amy Roloff cruise on RC during that same time frame, so I started googling like crazy to make sure it wasn't on our ship.  When one sees how rabid fans can be, it's a little offputting to think about being stuck on a cruise ship with a bunch of people who are big fans of someone we are - not - fans of.  (If I were "accidentally" on a cruise ship with Hugh Jackman or Benedict Cumberbatch, I could force myself to sail anyway.)  

Several years ago, Khate Gosselin was supposed to do a cruise.  Those who booked to be part of that would have opportunities to attend classes on how to clip coupons and would attend dinner somewhere near "her gloriousness."  However, there were not enough rabid fans with enough money (or interest) to  meet the minimum requirement for the block of cabins that the cruise line required, so the cruise was scrapped.  Kind of like Khate's career.

Thanks for the fulsome answer, @AZC. I find it interesting that you, the cruiser, have to do the research work to ensure you are NOT on a celeb cruise. Also, it's hard to believe that the cruiseline pays the celeb anything. Surely that applies only to A-listers like Jackman & Cumberbatch, not a Z-lister like Twit or Gosselin. Don't they have to get enough fans to sign up so as to get freebies for themselves and, in Twit's case, her entourage?

• Love 2

I know some maritime historians and journalists who are frequent onboard lecturers. All they get is free passage in exchange for doing a few talks during the crossing. Well, that, and invitations to the most exclusive private cocktail parties in the large suites. If anyone gets a group together there is one free cabin per block of 8 that is booked so if you have a lot of friends it's not a bad way of getting a free vacation. I seem to recall that the Duke of Windsor and Wallace did not have to pay at all since it was good advertising for the line that they were frequently on board.

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, Me from ME said:

If anyone gets a group together there is one free cabin per block of 8 that is booked so if you have a lot of friends it's not a bad way of getting a free vacation.

How about Jiya and Kerryn and the viewers here?  They could book the same cruise.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Me from ME said:

If anyone gets a group together there is one free cabin per block of 8 that is booked so if you have a lot of friends it's not a bad way of getting a free vacation. 

Airlines have a similar situation.  If one person books a certain number of tickets, they get a free ticket from the airline.  As far as I know, it's like @Me from ME says; the cruise line only makes a free cabin available, and probably space for workshops, etc.  They don't need to spend a penny to pay "d" listers like Twit, Khate, etc.  What's funny is that Khate couldn't sell enough tickets for her cruise.  I wonder how many signed up for Twit.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, auntjess said:

How about Jiya and Kerryn and the viewers here?  They could book the same cruise.

Wouldn't that be a hoot? If I had tons of extra money and time, I'd stalk that trip!

• Love 2
(edited)
17 hours ago, AZChristian said:

I wonder how many signed up for Twit.

I don't know the exact answer to that, but I was curious about the wonderfulness of her trip, so I went to the website she listed for sign-ups & other info. As far as activities with Twit, it doesn't seem to be much: dance class, exercise class, meet-and-greet photo op -- that's about it, IIRC. In terms of bookings, there were 6 levels of cabins & 3 of those are sold out. So, I guess the question is: which of her "fam and friends," as she puts it, gets dumped off the boat if not enuf cabins are sold. Probably Todd, since she always screws over her "eternal dance partner." And Boo Bear since he's obvious on Twit's shit list now. Never Boo Boo (Donna), Tal, Heather or the parents. She needs her barnacles too much.

Edited by Dot
  • Love 3

So what should we nominate for the PReviouslies awards?  I'm all thunk out tonight, but Whit deserves something.

Maybe we should ask for categories for over 300 lb people, because 600 lb Life is deserving too.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, auntjess said:

So what should we nominate for the PReviouslies awards?  I'm all thunk out tonight, but Whit deserves something.

Maybe we should ask for categories for over 300 lb people, because 600 lb Life is deserving too.

Most likely to cross from one reality show ti the next.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, auntjess said:

I don't understand the question.

1 hour ago, Dot said:

I don't understand the question.

Our site plans to do "The Previouslies" aka PTV Awards for TV shows.  You can find the announcement here.  We will accept submission ideas for types of awards through Friday, so don't hesitate to suggest something!

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Me from ME said:

Is it too late to submit a category? I'd like to know who is The Biggest Narcissist (as opposed to, oh, I don't know, The Largest Narcissist).

It's not too late for suggestions!  We have a forum for the awards here.

• Love 1

A little off topic, but Roxanne Gay is prompting her new book,  called, Hunger. She is a great writer abt women's issues.  She weighed 522 lbs and stood 6'3", at one time.  Now she is 420 lbs. approx. She writes abt the gang rape at age 12 that motivated her to eat more to get big and strong,  so she could not be hurt again.  Her book is abt fat shaming and other related topics. 

Wonder what Twit would say abt her own reasons for overeating.  Oh, wait,  it's PCOS, not food or emotional issues. 

• Love 2
(edited)
On 6/16/2017 at 8:16 PM, Tosia said:

A little off topic, but Roxanne Gay is prompting her new book,  called, Hunger. She is a great writer abt women's issues.  She weighed 522 lbs and stood 6'3", at one time.  Now she is 420 lbs. approx. She writes abt the gang rape at age 12 that motivated her to eat more to get big and strong,  so she could not be hurt again.  Her book is abt fat shaming and other related topics. 

Wonder what Twit would say abt her own reasons for overeating.  Oh, wait,  it's PCOS, not food or emotional issues. 

There was just an article about Roxanne Gay  in People magazine.  She would have been a much better choice for this show imho.  She actually has accomplishments; she is honest about how she gained weight and doesn't blame a disease for her weight gain.  She sounds like a woman with true achievements in the face of adversity, one that actually has a life that would be interesting viewing.  Unfortunately we have to settle for Whitney.

Edited by abbey
punctuation is important
  • Love 2