Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: About Big People

• Start Topic

Folks, do NOT miss the Nicole episode on My 600 Lb life, the one that originally air a day or so ago.  And it isn't really 3 hours, only 2, because they stuck a skin surgery show at the end.
If you like trains wrecks--and would you be here if you didn't--this one's for you

• Love 6
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, auntjess said:

Folks, do NOT miss the Nicole episode on My 600 Lb life, the one that originally air a day or so ago.  And it isn't really 3 hours, only 2, because they stuck a skin surgery show at the end.
If you like trains wrecks--and would you be here if you didn't--this one's for you

It helps if you have a strong  drink in hand. Sadly  I do not drink  alcohol ,  while  watching  this I wished I did.

• Love 1

Is anyone watching Feud, about Betty Davis, Joan Crawford, and the making of Baby Jane?
It wasn't bad, and I may watch the next episode, but I don't think I saw any familiar names among the posters.
I'm not a big fan of either, or of movies in general, but I am a gossip fan, thought I'd prefer a good, gossipy book.
Show is on FX. Sundays, I think.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, auntjess said:

Is anyone watching Feud, about Betty Davis, Joan Crawford, and the making of Baby Jane?
It wasn't bad, and I may watch the next episode, but I don't think I saw any familiar names among the posters.
I'm not a big fan of either, or of movies in general, but I am a gossip fan, thought I'd prefer a good, gossipy book.

I am watching! Can't remember if I posted about it yet, though :)

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, auntjess said:

WHTBJ has been one of my faves since I was a kid. That one and HUSH HUSH SWEET CHARLOTTE. I am enjoying the hell out of Feud.

• Love 1

Not sure where to put this, but I figured this might be the appropriate thread.

I just saw an article about Chrissie Metz (the actress who plays Kate on the tv show This Is Us) and really noticed in the pictures just how big she really is (I would almost venture to say she's even bigger than Twit, but she could be taller, so I don't know).  The article was about body acceptance and how Chrissie is paving the way for others, etc.  Similar to what, I think, Twit attempts to do with her No BS campaign. As I was reading the article it occurred to me that Chrissie, like Twit, seems to have no real desire to lose any weight, she was all about "body acceptance" and to me body acceptance is more about accepting things that you cannot change.  For example, I am 5'3", petite and very fit.  I work out/run and eat healthy, however my legs are very short and I have a long torso.  Would I like to be 5'8" with legs a mile long?  You bet.  My short legs bug me, but is there anything I can do about them?  Not one thing, no amount of exercise is going to make them longer, however I can make sure they look as lean and firm as possible, basically I am doing the best I can with what I got.  THAT to me is body acceptance.  Be the best YOU you can be.   I feel like Chrissie and Twit are just sending a message to other over weight people who most likely have or will have health issues that it's OK for them to be overweight because "body acceptance."  

Am I way off base in this thinking? 

• Love 7

If I'm being very generous with my interpretations of the body acceptance movement, I would say that it's about just accepting who you are and not hating your body. You could want to change things and make it better in whatever ways you can, but you shouldn't hate it just because it's not what you (or society) would think of as ideal. Not everyone is going to be thin, and if you're fat, your life shouldn't focus on trying to become thin. It's about just being comfortable living your life in whatever body you have.

At its most basic, that's a pretty good sentiment since there's basically no other choice than to get through life in the body that you have.

Where it gets more controversial is when Whitey and others blend the concept of Health at Every Size, or the notion that "real women have curves" into it and try to say that fat is just as healthy as thin and you better think it's sexy as well. That, to me, is when it becomes delusional and detrimental to everyone who embraces that message.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, M.F. Luder said:

Where it gets more controversial is when Whitey and others blend the concept of Health at Every Size, or the notion that "real women have curves" into it and try to say that fat is just as healthy as thin and you better think it's sexy as well. That, to me, is when it becomes delusional and detrimental to everyone who embraces that message.

Yes, M.F.Luder! 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Summer said:

I just saw an article about Chrissie Metz (the actress who plays Kate on the tv show This Is Us) and really noticed in the pictures just how big she really is (I would almost venture to say she's even bigger than Twit, but she could be taller, so I don't know).  The article was about body acceptance and how Chrissie is paving the way for others, etc.  Similar to what, I think, Twit attempts to do with her No BS campaign. As I was reading the article it occurred to me that Chrissie, like Twit, seems to have no real desire to lose any weight, she was all about "body acceptance" and to me body acceptance is more about accepting things that you cannot change.  For example, I am 5'3", petite and very fit.  I work out/run and eat healthy, however my legs are very short and I have a long torso.  Would I like to be 5'8" with legs a mile long?  You bet.  My short legs bug me, but is there anything I can do about them?  Not one thing, no amount of exercise is going to make them longer, however I can make sure they look as lean and firm as possible, basically I am doing the best I can with what I got.  THAT to me is body acceptance.  Be the best YOU you can be.   I feel like Chrissie and Twit are just sending a message to other over weight people who most likely have or will have health issues that it's OK for them to be overweight because "body acceptance."  

I agree with you. 

I think what bugs me most about Whitney is that she keeps trying to push that she is healthy.  I agree that all people should love themselves but for whatever reason a lot of the HAES community decided that you can't possibly love yourself AND lose weight at the same time.  And I think they will change their tune ( whit and the this is us lady) when they experience more and more health issues. I mean, Whitney is at the point of massive physical disability and disfigurement due to her weight. She cannot be truly happy at this size, and if she is, then well good, but I don't think we should encourage people to just give up to a life of morbid obesity. 

• Love 3

The HAES movement is kind of insane. It's like saying "if you have cancer, you should love yourself, despite having cancer." (Yes, we can all agree with this.) "But also, don't get rid of the cancer, because it's not actually bad for you. You are totally healthy and amazing." (WUT.)

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, yogi2014L said:

I think what bugs me most about Whitney is that she keeps trying to push that she is healthy.

Agreed Yogi.  Twit and Chrissy both have relative youth on their side, both in their 30's.   So even though they may not have an abundance of weight related health issues right now,  they definitely will as they get older.  

I just feel like what these woman are inspiring is a movement of  "screw being healthy, look at Whitney, she's fine!" as they shove another cheeseburger down their throat (nothing against cheeseburgers, I happen to love them but in moderation :)

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Summer said:

As I was reading the article it occurred to me that Chrissie, like Twit, seems to have no real desire to lose any weight[...]

You know, I could have sworn I read somewhere--I thought here, actually--that part of Metz's contract involved her agreeing to lose weight as a part of the show's storyline. Which reminds me of another thing, which is that if I, like Metz and Whit, had a production company willing to foot the bill for a trainer and possibly diet help to help me to get as healthy, and yes thin, as possible, I would feel like I hit the lottery and I would be hustlin' all damn day. And I already get up at 5a to get to the gym err day, so it's not like I'm a slug. Dang, sisters! Take advantage of your resources! 

In other news, Whitney's IG is really making consider the ways in which I do indeed have a fat bias, as much as I've convinced myself I don't. Like, her dancing with her stomach out? I don't even want to look at that. And her "healthy" pizza? Seemed gross to me when I pictured her eating it. And those gut responses really surprised me because if you had asked me I'd have said I'm whatevs about anyone else's body. It's made me reflect, so YOU WIN THIS ROUND, Thore. 

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Pachengala said:

which is that if I, like Metz and Whit, had a production company willing to foot the bill for a trainer and possibly diet help to help me to get as healthy, and yes thin, as possible, I would feel like I hit the lottery and I would be hustlin' all damn day. And I already get up at 5a to get to the gym err day, so it's not like I'm a slug. Dang, sisters! Take advantage of your resources! 

You and me both Pachengala!!  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, yogi2014L said:

I agree with you. 

I think what bugs me most about Whitney is that she keeps trying to push that she is healthy.  I agree that all people should love themselves but for whatever reason a lot of the HAES community decided that you can't possibly love yourself AND lose weight at the same time.  And I think they will change their tune ( whit and the this is us lady) when they experience more and more health issues. I mean, Whitney is at the point of massive physical disability and disfigurement due to her weight. She cannot be truly happy at this size, and if she is, then well good, but I don't think we should encourage people to just give up to a life of morbid obesity. 

I absolutely agree with you. I lost 70 pounds four years ago, have regained 15, and am working like hell to get it off. I owe it to myself, my kids, and the kind of life I want to have to be the best ME I can be. However, from what I've read, Chrissie Metz isn't all "Rah rah, being fat is amazing." I think she's more -- and I can relate to this -- "I want to lose weight, and while I'm not mentally there yet, I know it needs to happen, and it does no good to hate myself in the process." If you haven't struggled with weight, take it from me: hating yourself is simply a direct path to that next donut. For some of us, food is our drug of choice. (I don't drink or smoke, yet I have to work hard to not be obsessed with what I'm going to eat next. And I'm still pretty slim, so you'd see me and never guess how much I struggle daily.) 

I don't hear Metz spouting Whitney's lies -- and trust me, they are lies. And excuses. "I don't want to lose weight; I just want to be healthy" is the biggest lie of all. Translated, it simply means, "I don't want to give up Oreos AND Wheat Thins, so I'll keep eating the Wheat Thins because those will look healthier to everyone else." I spent a lot of years where I think Metz is; in Weight Watchers, we call that the "I WANT to want to lose weight" stage. I think she'll get there. But Whitney? I have my doubts. Whitney doesn't want to be inconvenienced. 

And I'm not a psychologist, but you don't get as big as those girls are without making an effort to stuff down some other stuff. We all have our baggage. Food can't be your medicine and food can't be your crutch and food can't be your boyfriend. Also -- exercise is so important, but you can't outrun your fork. Whitney can work out all damned day, but negate all of it with that family-sized Papa Murphy's take-and-bake.

I wish this weren't the truth, but to lose the weight, you have to do the work. And it sucks sometimes. But it's so worth it. I hope Whitney gets her shit together one day and can begin living a real life.

• Love 7

The insanity continues.  A Canadian college has removed the scale from their gym because they want "to mesh with current health trends that prioritize well being over a focus on weight."

We are raising a generation of Whitneys.  They can't just ignore the presence of the scale - they don't want anyone else to have access to it, either.  Snowflakes.  

Edited by AZChristian
Another deep thought.
  • Love 11

"Scales are very triggering." SCALES. ARE VERY TRIGGERING. You guys, honestly, let's just pack it in as a species. I understand that triggers are a problem for REAL problems, like rape and abuse, but not wanting a reminder that in this universe, matter contains mass and weight, is INSANE. "I am triggered by knowing that things can be weighed!!!" Gag me.

• Love 14
15 hours ago, Literata said:

but to lose the weight, you have to do the work. And it sucks sometimes. But it's so worth it

Congrats on your weight loss, Literata, bravo!  And you are 100% correct, it's hard.  You have to work for it.  Something Whitney just will not do. 

And I agree with you about Chrissie Metz, however, what makes me nervous about her is she is being celebrated for her size as right now her part on This Is Us requires her to be heavy.  I would be really curious to see if the writers eventually decide to take her storyline in a different direction and have her character lose the weight.  Does Chrissie the actress have what it takes to lose the weight?  THAT is something, I think, would be more inspiring to watch.  

Omg scales are triggering?  I can't even.....

• Love 4
15 hours ago, Literata said:

I absolutely agree with you. I lost 70 pounds four years ago, have regained 15, and am working like hell to get it off. I owe it to myself, my kids, and the kind of life I want to have to be the best ME I can be. However, from what I've read, Chrissie Metz isn't all "Rah rah, being fat is amazing." I think she's more -- and I can relate to this -- "I want to lose weight, and while I'm not mentally there yet, I know it needs to happen, and it does no good to hate myself in the process." If you haven't struggled with weight, take it from me: hating yourself is simply a direct path to that next donut. For some of us, food is our drug of choice. (I don't drink or smoke, yet I have to work hard to not be obsessed with what I'm going to eat next. And I'm still pretty slim, so you'd see me and never guess how much I struggle daily.) 

I don't hear Metz spouting Whitney's lies -- and trust me, they are lies. And excuses. "I don't want to lose weight; I just want to be healthy" is the biggest lie of all. Translated, it simply means, "I don't want to give up Oreos AND Wheat Thins, so I'll keep eating the Wheat Thins because those will look healthier to everyone else." I spent a lot of years where I think Metz is; in Weight Watchers, we call that the "I WANT to want to lose weight" stage. I think she'll get there. But Whitney? I have my doubts. Whitney doesn't want to be inconvenienced. 

And I'm not a psychologist, but you don't get as big as those girls are without making an effort to stuff down some other stuff. We all have our baggage. Food can't be your medicine and food can't be your crutch and food can't be your boyfriend. Also -- exercise is so important, but you can't outrun your fork. Whitney can work out all damned day, but negate all of it with that family-sized Papa Murphy's take-and-bake.

I wish this weren't the truth, but to lose the weight, you have to do the work. And it sucks sometimes. But it's so worth it. I hope Whitney gets her shit together one day and can begin living a real life.

Well said Literata, you lived up to your name with this post.  Also, props to M.F. Luder's post. 

I have also read a few interviews with Chrissie Metz, and noticed that some media is being more sensitive about women, weight,  and looks in general,  as in NOT focusing so much on physical looks (because they don't with male celebrities-- if they have less/more than rock hard abs).  Chrissie seems like a lovely person and I am thrilled for the show's success and for her. 

BTW,  even though I am 62, I recently shopped at Torrid, a less expensive store for plus size (younger) women.   In the People magazine that  Chrissie was in,  she is wearing the same  green Torrid dress that I bought abt two weeks prior. Yes, a reminder, as if I need one, that  I need to lose abt 50 lbs. 

• Love 2

On some levels, I get how some people don't want to be around scales. Right now, I don't have a scale because I know that I would obsessively check my weight. I've done that before while dieting and I'd make changes only if I saw my weight go up or I'd justify it. It wasn't a very good plan for me. Instead of focusing on sticking with my new lifestyle (it's not just a diet, it's making other changes too), I was doing the "well, maybe if I went to the bathroom or dried my hair or didn't have X on, my weight would be lower". Currently, I see my doctor (who is overseeing this lifestyle change, a different one from the one I was doing on my own) every week to weigh in and go over my food and exercise diary to see what I'm doing right and what I'm doing wrong. I've now graduated to the every other week check ins and I'm debating getting a scale for the weekly check in. I haven't yet because I still worry about the weigh in obsession I have. I've always been a big girl although I never cracked 300 and am 5'10" so it wasn't as obvious how heavy I was. Currently, I weigh less than I did at my high school graduation at 210 and I know generally where I want to end up (I want to end up in a size 12 or 14. My years of swimming left me with too much muscle to be much smaller without losing muscle mass.). The scale is not triggering. The justifications I was making for my weight were the real problem. I just need to sort out if I've beaten those justifications. I can't expect the world to change for me though because avoidance isn't the solution either.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

"Scales are very triggering." SCALES. ARE VERY TRIGGERING. You guys, honestly, let's just pack it in as a species. I understand that triggers are a problem for REAL problems, like rape and abuse, but not wanting a reminder that in this universe, matter contains mass and weight, is INSANE. "I am triggered by knowing that things can be weighed!!!" Gag me.

They are for me--measurements in general can trigger me. In 2006 I nearly died from complications from anorexia (kidney failure). In 2010 I was almost kicked out of my academy for losing too much body fat (9%)--I wanted the fitness award which measured body fat and the lower you are, the better. I wound up runner up, the guy who won was unbeatable for a woman but I gave it my all. As a result of that, my body was weakened and I began a long cycle of illness and injury that I'm still dealing with today. All because of a number.

So, those things can send certain people over the edge, at least those of us who were truly very ill.

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, Runnergirl said:

They are for me--measurements in general can trigger me. In 2006 I nearly died from complications from anorexia (kidney failure). In 2010 I was almost kicked out of my academy for losing too much body fat (9%)--I wanted the fitness award which measured body fat and the lower you are, the better. I wound up runner up, the guy who won was unbeatable for a woman but I gave it my all. As a result of that, my body was weakened and I began a long cycle of illness and injury that I'm still dealing with today. All because of a number.

So, those things can send certain people over the edge, at least those of us who were truly very ill.

I thought about that when I was writing my post, that there are eating disorders that could be triggered by scales, and that is definitely a valid concern. I stuck with what I wrote because in the article the person didn't say anything about eating disorders, just that scales are triggering in general, so I think this particular person is one of those Special Snowflakes we've heard so much about ;) The gyms I work at have scales, but keep the body fat measuring devices under lock and key.

• Love 1

To me, the correct solution is for people who are triggered by commonplace items in society to get counseling and modify their behavior to try to best avoid that trigger until they are better able to handle the trigger. Trying to get other people to modify their behavior to help you avoid the trigger is mostly pointless, and probably (imo) more detrimental in the long run. When I was in college and living in dorms, the only access I had to a scale was in the gym. Without it, it would have been very easy for me to gain the Freshman 15, and then another 20 for the subsequent years. For most people, monitoring your weight helps you to keep it where you want it to be and doesn't lead to major mental anxiety. Without the ability to monitor where you're at, it's too easy to gain without noticing until you realize none of your clothes fit anymore.

• Love 6
20 minutes ago, M.F. Luder said:

To me, the correct solution is for people who are triggered by commonplace items in society to get counseling and modify their behavior to try to best avoid that trigger until they are better able to handle the trigger. Trying to get other people to modify their behavior to help you avoid the trigger is mostly pointless, and probably (imo) more detrimental in the long run.

I agree with that, and it is definitely better for the triggered person as well. I would hate to go through life thinking that any second I could see something that brings horrible feelings/emotions flooding back. It would be terrible to deal with that and I have a lot of empathy for those folks. That's one of the reasons I hate the overuse of the word "trigger," which is a specific and extreme scenario, not just to be bandied about to describe "stuff I don't like seeing." (like in this article)

Edited by ClareWalks
  • Love 2
On 3/13/2017 at 2:25 PM, M.F. Luder said:

If I'm being very generous with my interpretations of the body acceptance movement, I would say that it's about just accepting who you are and not hating your body. You could want to change things and make it better in whatever ways you can, but you shouldn't hate it just because it's not what you (or society) would think of as ideal. Not everyone is going to be thin, and if you're fat, your life shouldn't focus on trying to become thin. It's about just being comfortable living your life in whatever body you have.

At its most basic, that's a pretty good sentiment since there's basically no other choice than to get through life in the body that you have.

I agree with both the idea that "body acceptance" tends to apply more to accepting what can't be changed. But also that there are various interpretations. I keep thinking about a concept a therapist  friend of mine has talked about: the idea of "radical acceptance" (if I'm remembering correctly). Basically it means accepting yourself (your body, your life, whatever) as it is right now. BUT it doesn't mean accepting and doing nothing. So you accept where you are right now as being okay. It is what it is. BUT (and here's the key), you resolve and work to change where you are right now to where you want it to be. Whit weights 360 right now. That's okay. But it's also okay to work to lose the weight and improve the health issues that bother her. It avoids shaming yourself or getting trapped in a negative "I'm not worthy" space that can sabotage changing for the better. Being okay and enough in this moment doesn't mean you can't work and improve and be okay and enough in the next moment. 

From whatever perspective or label you choose though, Twit isn't about any of it. She's all about staying right where she is and demanding that everyone agree with her that she is fabulous (even though all evidence points to the opposite). It's really quite sad and pitiful. 

• Love 4
48 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

I agree with that, and it is definitely better for the triggered person as well. I would hate to go through life thinking that any second I could see something that brings horrible feelings/emotions flooding back. It would be terrible to deal with that and I have a lot of empathy for those folks. That's one of the reasons I hate the overuse of the word "trigger," which is a specific and extreme scenario, not just to be bandied about to describe "stuff I don't like seeing." (like in this article)

I hate the overuse of that word, too. I also have panic disorder and other anxiety issues to deal with every day and when the special snowflakes use it, it makes me want to explain to them exactly what a traumatic scenario truly is. And for a normal person without a history of eating disorders, I find it insulting that they would say a scale is "triggering". 

Ugh. I gotta stop talking about snowflakes and their "stressors". If no one's dead, shot or bleeding out on the ground, STFU.

• Love 4
On 3/13/2017 at 0:54 PM, Summer said:

She must have changed your mind since that article you read:  http://people.com/bodies/chrissy-metz-this-is-us-star-gastric-bypass-surgery-rumors-losing-weight-health/

• Love 1

Folks, there's another winning episode on My 600lb Life, James K.'s episode.
Not sure when it will repeat, but honestly, if you just read the board here for it, you can get it, without being there.

• Love 2

Just read this article via someone who retweeted it on Twitter, and I have to say the author has a point.   She's getting crucified on Twitter by "body acceptance" and HAES folks ... I like how she mentioned the new trend of "I love being overweight".  She is on point about the health issues associated with morbid obesity, tho...

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/stasi-harper-bazaar-shots-chrissy-metz-not-sexy-article-1.3001462?utm_content=buffer82563&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=NYDailyNewsTw

Edited by Summer
  • Love 2

I have two opposing views. 

That was a great article. I can see her point.  I like that she was specific about her wording: cute v. sexy label, and including anorexic models as another extreme body issue. 

OTOH, there ARE alot of different body types, and yes,  America is ( mostly) overweight.  So,  shouldn't everyone be represented? I don't want women to hate themselves for being less/more than average weight. We are all works in progress.  I am working hard to lose weight, and I need to feel beautiful right now as well. Or cute and sexy. And strong and intelligent, kind, and fun.

There's an awesome article in the research online ConscienHealth.org about realizing and addressing the COMPLEXITY of issues in hea lth policy from being overweight. The major points are care for psycho/emo and physical issues, AND the ready availability of fat/salt/sugar-laden processed foods. 

Is it nit-picking or mean or reasonable to focus on the rare, obese celebrity--NOT MALE ACTOR, btw.  Chrissie, Melissa, Ashley the model, and .........any others?  

Also, I disagree with the writer's claim that  "normal" size women were not going be in vogue or on trend because of fat models now being the in thing. Like normal-sized women were ever in fashion--at least not since the 50's, although you had to be white also. 

I think I talked myself into Not supporting this article's viewpoint. How do we know when a person is working,  or not,  (like Twit) on their health issues?  That seems to be the sticking point. 

Edited by Tosia
Life is hard. Let's support each others' efforts to get healthy.
  • Love 4

As someone who was morbidly obese (now down to just obese and working on those last few lbs to get to a healthy weight) I applaud that article that Summer posted.  When we applaud morbid obesity we are dismissing the myriad of serious health problems associated with it.  I don't think anyone should be fat shamed.  I know first hand how hard it can be to maintain and or achieve a healthy weight.  But to try and make morbid obesity sexy and to ignore the many problems associated with it is to do a disservice to those folks who very much need to get to a healthy weight before permanent damage is done.

• Love 7

And in the mean time--on the way to getting to a healthy weight--women should not be called sexy or cute? 

That's a long time to be ....what?  

Invisible?  Nothing?   What?  

Should we overweight women and men wear a sign or badge that says, " I'm dieting and working out,  so I will look better in 6-12 months (barring an illness or injury)."  

Life's a process that progresses up and down, including our weight. 

Edited by Tosia
Living in the moment.
  • Love 4
22 hours ago, abbey said:

As someone who was morbidly obese (now down to just obese and working on those last few lbs to get to a healthy weight) I applaud that article that Summer posted.  When we applaud morbid obesity we are dismissing the myriad of serious health problems associated with it.  I don't think anyone should be fat shamed.  I know first hand how hard it can be to maintain and or achieve a healthy weight.  But to try and make morbid obesity sexy and to ignore the many problems associated with it is to do a disservice to those folks who very much need to get to a healthy weight before permanent damage is done.

Well said, @abbey! And congratulations on your weight loss!

• Love 2

I certainly do not promote fat shamming and I certainly do think that body acceptance is a positive thing, HOWEVER, I feel that when you embrace a disability that can be avoided, you have perhaps gone into another dimension.  I am just not convinced that someone is happy in their body, when they are too large to handle their personal hygiene care or too large to reach the shoes on their feet.  When most chairs are a risk for you to sit in....no, I don't believe that the person is happy and accepting of their condition.  When it reaches that point, I suspect that denial has long set in and that mental health professionals may be required to get through.  Even major heart attacks, amputations and open sores don't convince some people, so, why would chub rub?

• Love 6
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I certainly do not promote fat shamming and I certainly do think that body acceptance is a positive thing, HOWEVER, I feel that when you embrace a disability that can be avoided, you have perhaps gone into another dimension.  I am just not convinced that someone is happy in their body, when they are too large to handle their personal hygiene care or too large to reach the shoes on their feet.  When most chairs are a risk for you to sit in....no, I don't believe that the person is happy and accepting of their condition.  When it reaches that point, I suspect that denial has long set in and that mental health professionals may be required to get through.  Even major heart attacks, amputations and open sores don't convince some people, so, why would chub rub?

Exactly. What you describe is not "Body Acceptance," but Addiction - as in, no matter how much my life and health are destroyed, I'm not giving up my food! Just substitute "alcohol" or "heroin" or "meth" for "food" and it's exactly the same thing.

• Love 1

NC has a lot of options for care.  I ran across a place called The Carolina House in Durham.  They treat most forms of eating disorders. 

The internationally renowned Duke Diet and Fitness Center is a residential facility that has been around since the 1960's.  It's only a couple hours drive from Greensboro, also in Durham. I wonder if Whitney has considered trying it out.  

• Love 1

NC has a lot of options for care.  I ran across a place called The Carolina House in Durham.  They treat most forms of eating disorders. 

The internationally renowned Duke Diet and Fitness Center is a residential facility that has been around since the 1960's.  It's only a couple hours drive from Greensboro, also in Durham. I wonder if Whitney has considered trying it out.  

If she would, I would watch every second of her getting her shit together!! Maybe she should join the next Biggest loser season. Is that show coming back??

• Love 1

I hope not.  I found The Biggest Loser to be on the extreme side. They underwent quite a scandal a few months back about how at the ranch, trainers allegedly pushed pills and dehydration to lose weight......multiple contestants complained of this.  It seemed more intent on tv drama than real improvement in health, imo. Plus, I didn't care for how they verbally dealt with contestants and put loads of extra stress on contestant's joints.  Just not too smart, imo. 

But, there could be a good program that documents a good weight loss journey.  I think it needs a real thinking person to produce it and not reality tv producers who seem to know how to pull the worst out of everyone.  

Actually, there are a lot of people who have life threatening illnesses that lurk in people's lives.  They aren't always visible, like obesity is.  Sleep apnea is a huge health problem.  People who are not getting proper sleep are very dangerous in the workplace, on the roadways, handling large equipment, etc. They are literally creating heart disease, stroke, brain damage, but, many just ignore it, won't get treatment, etc. I'm not sure why they think they are immune to suffering the longterm effects.  Same goes for people with diabetes.  They are dying a slow death, but many just ignore it, won't take meds or insulin properly, keep getting sicker and sicker.  So, obesity is a more visible health issue, but, not the only one. 

• Love 2

Whitney has already been diagnosed with sleep apnea. And at least once during the season she was supposed to be in lurve with Lennie, they showed her asleep in bed with him and she had a CPAP mask on.

• Love 1

Yeah, I think that Whit uses her cpap machine, but, Buddy looks like he needs testing.  I'm not sure why that is one thing that so many people are resistant about.  When you are sleep deprived, everything about your life is effected, heath, nutrition, focus, relationships, job, driving. etc.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe

Yeah, I think that Whit uses her cpap machine, but, Buddy looks like he needs testing.  I'm not sure why that is one thing that so many people are resistant about.  When you are sleep deprived, everything about your life is effected, heath, nutrition, focus, relationships, job, driving. etc.  

Agreed. I've been using a CPAP machine for about 10 years & I still remember what a BIG difference it made the first night I used it.

Interestingly, Justice Scalia was found dead of an overnight heart attack with his CPAP machine not in use. Yet another reason to use the machine.

1 hour ago, Dot said:

Agreed. I've been using a CPAP machine for about 10 years & I still remember what a BIG difference it made the first night I used it.

Interestingly, Justice Scalia was found dead of an overnight heart attack with his CPAP machine not in use. Yet another reason to use the machine.

OMG.  I didn't realize this about Justice Scalia. 

I'm on Cpap too, but, I will admit that my case of hypopnea is not severe, however, it is still appropriate treatment for me.  Even if  a sleep disorder doesn't kill you in one night, it can kill you in the long run from heart disease and stroke.   I don't think the average person knows this can happen.  It also can kill brain cells.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
On 3/21/2017 at 1:53 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

I had a friend who went there a very long time ago. Her parents made her go.  I went to visit her.    All I remember is the daily weigh-in and something about eating a stalk of celery for the salt content?   Oh and that town stunk of tobacco manufacturing.

53 minutes ago, Cherrio said:

I had a friend who went there a very long time ago. Her parents made her go.  I went to visit her.    All I remember is the daily weigh-in and something about eating a stalk of celery for the salt content?   Oh and that town stunk of tobacco manufacturing.

I think that Durham and the Fitness Center have undergone a lot of change. In fact, the center has moved to a new location from the one from yesteryear.  AND Durham was also known for it's Rice Diet Center from yesteryear. They sadly had to close their doors as its popularity waned.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/09/10/rice-diet-shuts-down-north-carolina-home-after-70-years.html

What happened to the fear of diabetes? It is a non-issue now. I haven't heard her BS (blood sugar) mentioned at all lately. And that is deliberate.

I suspect MBBFL has way more in common with 600 Lb. Life than one would think. Everyone in 600 Lb. Life has some sort of childhood trauma or sexual abuse or both. In Whitney's case, I think there is a dark aspect to her rapidly gaining 200+ pounds that is decidedly NOT fabulous. I also think that is why she doesn't get a real job. There is something inside her that shames HERSELF and kills her true confidence. Only not on TV-- where she's a fat sassy hip gal with plenty of energy and friends (aka social barnacles).

Arguably, it was ingenious of her to invent the "No Body Shame" as a defense along with all that "protective" fat that surrounds her body. Now, if she weighed, say 160 pounds, she would still be quite overweight (I am the same height--I know) and the shaming could still occur and maybe there would be some validity to her No BS platform. She could lose 200 pounds and STILL be overweight!

WHY does she insist on holding on to every half pound despite her obvious disabilities? Despite all that "dance" and "werking out" and Crossfit? That is just psycho! It is up there with Dr. Now's desperate patients stuffed in the back of a van to get help for their morbid, deadly weight insisting on another trip to the drive-thru--and another. And pizza in the hospital.

Is it simply the fear of losing the TV show? Did she sign a contract to follow TLC's script?

I admit I started watching the show because THIS is what I wanted to see: Whitney getting smacked down by doctors and medical personnel, her actual diabetes diagnosis and being forced to manage/reverse it, then forced into losing A LOT of weight and dealing with all the physical and mental challenges that entails. I think IF she ever does lose 250 pounds, (and get skin surgery), she would be very pretty. She would have NO problem dancing seriously, NO problem finding boyfriends/mates, and NO problem talking herself into a good full time job.

The show obviously dumped all the health aspects of her life. I don't know who pushed for that harder. Dance battles and Big Girl Dance Class and Will the Trainer's funny frustration and tattoos and gay male friends and lesbian weirdness and the radio station and dates and cats and Babs and Glenn are the TRUE BS of the show. Haha. So fun. There has got to be something real bad that happened to her beyond PCOS, and we will probably never know unless she gets a gig on 600 lb. life.

• Love 3