Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: About Big People

• Start Topic

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Soooo... The Doobie Brothers have a song called  "What a Fool Believes." It’s about a man who has created (in his mind) a relationship with a woman from "his long ago" who barely knows/remembers him. Every time I hear the song,  I think of Shitney. I took one of the lines and flipped the pronouns (she to he and vice versa, his to her...) Here's the changed line:

"He had a place in her life, she never made him think twice."

Anybody else think that sums up  our dear Shitney and men?

• Love 1
On 7/10/2022 at 11:45 PM, Colleenna said:

Soooo... The Doobie Brothers have a song called  "What a Fool Believes." It’s about a man who has created (in his mind) a relationship with a woman from "his long ago" who barely knows/remembers him. Every time I hear the song,  I think of Shitney. I took one of the lines and flipped the pronouns (she to he and vice versa, his to her...) Here's the changed line:

"He had a place in her life, she never made him think twice."

Anybody else think that sums up  our dear Shitney and men?

I love love the Doobie Brothers, but as fas as the Whit men….I came to the conclusion that they were scripted stories.  A lot of reality tv is not actual as it appears, so I don’t really think she has these love affairs as portrayed.  I suspected it with Lenny and the other guy who was scamming her, but it was the aftermath of Chase breakup that caused me to really doubt the authenticity.  Maybe, there is someone new…..if so, it’ll be apparent I think.  

• Like 2

The discussion in S10E1 about the elderly and UTIs causing dementia-like symptoms: Thanks to ALL of you for the information. 

As much as I hate to admit it, I am an elderly woman.  I need to make sure that my husband knows that IF I suddenly show signs of dementia,  he brings up the possibility of a UTI with my doctor.  Might just save my life. 

• Like 4
  • Love 4

Colleena-my hubs had a UTI this past year that caused him to go completely bonkers! He passed out on the floor, I had to call an ambulance since I can't pick him up by myself. After being transported to the ER, he went fucking nuts! Trying to fight with the nurses, swinging on the orderlies, and he is not a violent person. They had to put him in restraints because he was so crazy. They did tests but couldn't get any urine out of him.They told me if he didn't pee soon they would have to put in a catheter in so I asked if I could try to get him to pee. I had him drink a bunch of water which he appreciated since he was very thirsty and I held the urinal for him since he had IVs in both arms. After some time and coaxing, he finally went (a lot!) and I gave the pee to the nurse. (They were happy too). Turned out he had a raging UTI and once antibiotics were on board, he went back to his normal self within a few hours. He is 72, by the way. My girlfriend's mother was the same  way-she would start to act altered and my friend said she could tell that her mom had a UTI. Us oldsters need to watch out for this stuff! I'm thinking Babs got the UTI from a catheter since she was bedridden-the hospital should have taken precautions to avoid that from happening.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I have had a few UTIs in the past, and after the last one the doc recommended I do two things:

1. Take a pro-biotic every day.

2. Take D-mannose every day.

I'd never heard of D-mannose but it's a type of sugar, related to glucose, that (apparently) attracts e-coli bacteria to cling to it. (Some science here.)

It's worked for me, I've not had a recurrence of a UTI for about 3 years.

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV. This is not medical advice. Always speak to your doctor before deciding to take any supplements as they may affect any health conditions you may have or affect the efficacy of any medication you're already taking.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2

Oh, one more thing about health 'down there'. TMI to follow ....

After pooping, I use a personal hygiene bottle (look on Amazon, also known as personal bidet or 'peri' bottle) to wash myself with a jet of warm water before drying off with a small amount of TP. It's really effective, much cheaper than getting a bidet attachment plumbed into the water supply on the toilet, plus you can use warm water. The feeling of cleanness can't be underestimated. I could not go back to using just TP any more.

There's a video here (don't worry, she uses peanut butter on an apple!).

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, essexjan said:

I have had a few UTIs in the past, and after the last one the doc recommended I do two things:

1. Take a pro-biotic every day.

2. Take D-mannose every day.

I'd never heard of D-mannose but it's a type of sugar, related to glucose, that (apparently) attracts e-coli bacteria to cling to it. (Some science here.)

It's worked for me, I've not had a recurrence of a UTI for about 3 years.

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV. This is not medical advice. Always speak to your doctor before deciding to take any supplements as they may affect any health conditions you may have or affect the efficacy of any medication you're already taking.

Thank Dog I haven't had many UTIs in my life. Last one was at least 15 years ago.  The only reason I remember that is because that's how I discovered that I'm  EXTREMELY allergic to Cephalosporin. Ooopsie. 

• Hugs 1

It's been encouraging to see science looking at things like set point theory and hunger hormones. Now it looks like we're paying some attention to other aspects of diet culture, too.

Is losing weight an important health goal?

An excerpt:

For most people, restrictive dieting with the intention to lose weight doesn’t work. More than 80% of people who lost weight regained it within five years, according to a 2018 study.

If our phones didn’t work the way they were intended that often, most people wouldn’t use them anymore, Campos said.

“But diet culture has done a very good job of deceiving us that you can get everything you’ve ever wanted. You’ll get health, you’ll get fitness, you’ll get praise,” she added.

What do we focus on if we want to get healthy if it’s not losing weight? Focus on health promoting behaviors like quitting smoking, moving more, sleeping better, stressing less and eating the foods your body is telling you that you need, Larmie said.

• Useful 1
On 9/6/2022 at 8:45 PM, auntjess said:

I was going to give this a miss, but reading comments, it look like it can be the newest shitfest,
Inmate To Roommate - Other Candid Reality Shows - PRIMETIMER

Sorry to quote this but it's the easiest way to make a post.

Lovely people,  I shall be leaving Primetimer.  The incessant pop-ups are getting on my last good nerve, so for this and other reasons,  I'm out.  It's been great fun snarking with all of you!! 

• Sad 6
15 hours ago, Colleenna said:

Lovely people,  I shall be leaving Primetimer.  The incessant pop-ups are getting on my last good nerve, so for this and other reasons,  I'm out.  It's been great fun snarking with all of you!! 

use ad block.I  don't get any of that crap

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 2/15/2023 at 2:51 PM, Colleenna said:

NO! Don't go!  Just get an ad-blocker (free).  At least give it a run up the flagpole!

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Does anyone recall when Whit got a toothache while on vacation and had it pulled?  Does anyone recall if she discussed why she got an extraction as opposed to getting a root canal and saving it?  Was it a top or bottom tooth?  

Agree about Babs dress- that was way too intrusive- you have your daughter's paid friend wear your recently deceased wife's dress? 

My husband wouldn't recognize my wedding dress and we haven't been married nearly as long as Glen and Babs.

On 3/14/2023 at 7:03 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

Does anyone recall when Whit got a toothache while on vacation and had it pulled?  Does anyone recall if she discussed why she got an extraction as opposed to getting a root canal and saving it?  Was it a top or bottom tooth?  

I don’t think she really mentioned why she didn’t get a root canal other than it was the tooth all the way in the back and you couldn’t see it when she smiled anyway.   I thought it was her bottom tooth but I’m not positive.

• Useful 1
On 9/16/2023 at 11:23 PM, Pi237 said:

What ad blocker is everyone using? (For iPhone). These banner ads, pop ups etc are driving me Insane.

I changed the browser I used to DuckDuckGo. Ever since then, no issues at all.

Edited by DanaMB
  • Useful 1
On 9/16/2023 at 11:23 PM, Pi237 said:

What ad blocker is everyone using? (For iPhone). These banner ads, pop ups etc are driving me Insane.

Try Total Adblock or Adblock Plus apps for iPhone.  

Duck Duck Go browser is good too - it has an adblocker built in.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Useful 2