Small Talk: About Big People

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Actually (in answer to each of your questions):

• No sports bra
  • No long skirt
  • No huge flowers
  • Worse stuff than that is "the rage" on cruises
  • Quite a few people looked to be topping 400 pounds . . . but we never went to the buffet, so we didn't see a lot of them out and about.  They tend to hang out on Deck 16 (the buffet).

Thanks.  Great cruise on the Allure of the Seas to Haiti, Jamaica, and Cozumel.  SOOOOO relaxing!!!!

I love Royal Caribbean! I’ve been on 4 cruises with them! I’m happy to hear you had a relaxing time!!

Deck 16! Hahahaha!!!

• Love 2
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

Yep, we did the zipline in Haiti.  Beyond AWESOME!!!!  There is a 250 (or 275) pound weight limit, although if Twit lies and gets on it and the cable snaps, she'll land in the water.  And drown people on the beach from the resulting tidal wave.

You’re guys are so adorable! Love the picture! Thanks for sharing! ?

Omg..tidal wave!! lol

• Love 3
16 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

This is one of the more well-balanced and thoughtful pieces I've come across on the subject of PCOS - thought some of you might be interested in reading it:

https://www.womenshealthmag.com/weight-loss/a19936581/pcos-affects-weight-loss/

Uh...

Excess testosterone is linked to higher rates of insulin resistance, which can cause you to store more fat, especially around the abdomen, says Dumesic.

Testosterone will affect where yo store fat, but what affects how much of it you have is whether you eat at a calorie surplus or not.

Testosterone combined with heavy lifting will aid in putting on muscle mass which is why men find it easier to gain muscle mass than women.

With PCOS, your body’s base metabolic rate is lower than average, says Sweeney. “Women who have PCOS need an average of 400 fewer calories a day than women who don’t have PCOS—and any excess calories go to fat storage,” she says. Awesome, right?

I would like to see a reputable scientific source cited for this. A variance to that degree for someone who is healthy, 5'4" (average height), 130 pounds, 30 years old and female (BMR 1380) would be 29% lower BMR for someone with PCOS. I am not aware of any research that backs up this assertion. The standard deviation is 5-8% and 96% of the population falls within 2 standard deviations of the mean. Varying 29% is four standard deviations below the mean. Please show me this person so I can get famous publishing their case study.

The only way they can possibly be getting this number is by comparing the person with PCOS who falls two standard deviations below the mean to an outlier who is two standard deviations above it.

Exercising right before a meal can also help rev your metabolism and store more carbs as energy than fat, says Sweeney.

No. Carbohydrates (or anything else) that gets "stored as energy" in the human body has a name.

Fat.

When women without PCOS wake up, they burn fat for energy until they eat again, says Dumesic. But, annoyingly, women with PCOS don’t start burning fat first thing in the morning. Instead, their bodies are programmed to save it. That means you have to work twice as hard to burn fat and maintain your body weight, he says.

Also no. This is completely scientifically bullshit. Your body is constantly switching between energy sources whether you are awake or asleep or whether you fast or not. There is a way to (very temporarily) deplete your glycogen stores: you can do an endurance sport until you're beyond "the wall". That's not something that happens in an hour at the gym.

And as a precautionary measure, make sure you're drinking enough water to prevent phantom hunger pangs, says Horstmann. Aim to drink half of your body weight in ounces each day. For example, a 140-pound woman should aim for a minimum of 70 ounces of water. 

Drinking calorie free beverages like black coffee, unsweetened tea, and water can help you feel less hungry less often, but the idea that it is necessary to drink "half your body weight in ounces each day" doesn't come from any sort of science and it isn't necessary to drink that much water in addition to other beverages like coffee or tea because you're actually getting water from those things as well.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Colleenna said:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18678372

Link to the study re PCOS and caloric requirement from NIH. 

It's real. That being said, a 400 cal/day surplus would lead to a gain of 50# per year.  If you KNOW you have PCOS, you can adjust your diet and exercise accordingly. 

They got a 10% margin of error in women with both PCOS and IR:

1,116 +/- 106 in PCOS women with IR.

That's a pretty big margin of error in a very limited study. I can't really tell from the abstract whether the methodology and the sample size (139 women) indicates much. Do you know of any other sources for it?

• Love 1

And as a precautionary measure, make sure you're drinking enough water to prevent phantom hunger pangs, says Horstmann. Aim to drink half of your body weight in ounces each day. For example, a 140-pound woman should aim for a minimum of 70 ounces of water. 

Drinking calorie free beverages like black coffee, unsweetened tea, and water can help you feel less hungry less often, but the idea that it is necessary to drink "half your body weight in ounces each day" doesn't come from any sort of science and it isn't necessary to drink that much water in addition to other beverages like coffee or teabecause you're actually getting water from those things as well.

If I drank that much water, I'd be drinking more than 16 8-oz glasses daily, a physical impossibility. In fact, I recall a radio shock jocks' stunt that went horribly wrong when they challenged listeners to drink water to win a TV or something. A woman died & was determined to have essentially drowned herself from drinking too much water.

And my doc does not allow me to count either tea or coffee in my daily water count, saying they have the opposite effect of hydration. So I have basically quit drinking tea. (I gave up coffee many years ago.)

I manage to drink 16 oz of water at lunch & at supper & 8 oz of skim milk at breakfast. That supposedly leaves me 3 8-oz glasses short daily. I hope most of that gets made up with fruits & vegetables bc I just can't manage more.

3 hours ago, cherenkov said:

I can't really tell from the abstract whether the methodology and the sample size (139 women) indicates much.

Additionally, not only is it a small number, but that sample number included BOTH experimental subjects (n=91) and control subjects (n=48). Moreover, ALL of the subjects were Greek women - no other ethnicity. Finally, the control group was "regularly menstruating" women - they did not indicate that the control participants went through bloodwork/ultrasounds to diagnose PCOS, just that they were regularly menstruating. 

And I completely agree with you ... the body doesn't burn fat first. It burns carbs first, so when you're consuming excess carbs they will be burned up to a point and then stored as fat. With the amount of frappucinos and cookies and pizza Sweatney eats, she's going to constantly be in a carb excess and gaining weight. I don't care how much she works out, she's just going to continue to balloon until she cuts that shit out.

• Love 2

They got a 10% margin of error in women with both PCOS and IR:

That's a pretty big margin of error in a very limited study. I can't really tell from the abstract whether the methodology and the sample size (139 women) indicates much. Do you know of any other sources for it?

That's the only study that I've seen. The margin of error is large precisely because the sample size is small. Know any OB/GYN or endocrinologist types associated with a medical school that might want to do the study with 500 women?

1 hour ago, lightninggirl said:

And I completely agree with you ... the body doesn't burn fat first. It burns carbs first, so when you're consuming excess carbs they will be burned up to a point and then stored as fat. With the amount of frappucinos and cookies and pizza Sweatney eats, she's going to constantly be in a carb excess and gaining weight. I don't care how much she works out, she's just going to continue to balloon until she cuts that shit out.

The body switches constantly what it's using, but in general when you're expending a lot of energy (like when you're doing a strenuous cardio activity for a long time) the way it goes is you first use your blood glucose, then your glycogen, and after that you start breaking down tissue like fat. The reality is that you're actually doing all of those things at the same time to some degree or another, but in terms of "ease of access" it's blood glucose, then glycogen, then fat, and then muscle.

She's gaining weight because she's in a calorie excess, and even for those of us who are marathoners and century cyclists, we can't outrun the fork. I can undo a marathon with a day of eating, and it's not even that hard.

Here's where insulin resistance and diabetes really have an actual effect:

IR means that your body is not able to use the glucose that is in your blood. It can't transfer that glucose in a usable form into your cells so that they can use it for energy. So your cells, your muscles and your organs, they're absolutely screaming. "We're starving. Feed us. We need the glucose. We're dying here. Give us sugar. Give us carbs." This causes a cycle of overeating where no matter how much the IR / diabetic patient overeats in calories they still feel starved for that sugar. Medication can help to a degree,  but the reality for an IR / diabetic person is that excess carbohydrate intake will just cause steeper insulin dumps which the body can't use to process all of that leading to even more over eating and weight gain.

It leads to a lot of other horrible shit too. Blood that's full of glucose that can't be used is thick, it's hard to pump it through arteries, it clogs up veins. It is, when you get to a cellular level, a bunch of sharp objects flying through the circulatory system and shredding cells left and right. High blood sugar is literally causing physical damage to the blood vessels and the nerves and the eyes and the organs. It's ripping apart the kidneys that are trying to filter it out of the blood (which is why so many diabetics are on dialysis) and it's tearing apart the retinas which is why diabetics go blind. It's providing a tasty growth medium for bacteria in the wounds that the diabetic won't feel happen to their feet so that it leads to gangrene and amputations.

And then it kills the diabetic, slowly and horribly.

• Love 4

Hi everyone. I am an almost 66 year old grandmother and have had my own battles with excess weight during my adult life (since college) and have been reading here for quite some time and have become very interested in your discussion here. I had found myself feeling guilty about my gradual disenchantment with Whitney but it was when she rather suddenly started the "if you even mention dieting or weight loss around me, you are fat-shaming me" stuff that I became really perplexed. And I wondered it this was just something she had come up with or if she was being influenced or pushed by TLC to do this. So I decided to go and do some investigating about the fat acceptance/body positivity movement....as I had considered myself a supporter of this movement...but hold on, because I fought to control my weight most of my adult life, I am suddenly a fat-shamer? I know just how hard it is to fight the good fight and I had always considered myself to be understanding and sympathetic.

It turns out that this was not just something Whitney came up with herself....but instead, this is an out-spoken off-shoot of the fat acceptance/body positivity movement. And the battle lines are being drawn up between two sides that have split apart in this movement.

There is an epidemic of not only diabetes (and PCOS, insulin resistance, etc.) but also of obesity. And social media has created a huge market share of women in search of fat fashion. Fat women had been overlooked by the fashion industry for decades...probably because like me (when I was fat), they were searching for the loosest, most comfortable and most concealing clothing....and fashion was not the high priority. But then a new generation of social media savvy gals began to create blogs and videos of "HAULS"....modeling clothing from various stores and online vendors....and they became "influencers"....a new form of entrepreneurship. And LOTS of money and financial incentive became involved...not to mention attention and celebrity.

What I cannot seem to figure out is when and where the split happened....and why. The underlying cause is usually financial when these things happen....but it is also possible that some really aggressive and outspoken member of the bunch decided that it was beautiful and fabulous to stay fat and that diets and intentional weight loss were bad and fat-shaming.....and the others were intimidated....and a split/rift happened. I am still investigating. This is what I spend lots of time doing now that I'm an old lady....search the internet to find out why people are doing what they're doing....especially when I find it to be socially and politically relevant in some way.

But there are definitely two camps....there are all of those who have weight loss blogs, exercise blogs...tell their weight loss journey via pictures of their every meal, their every work out, be it the gym or yoga, etc....and then the other side....claiming they are healthy, dance in their underwear to show they are proud of their bodies, claim that life is to enjoy and one should eat cake whenever they want to, etc. Both sides are approached to endorse products....health and weight-loss stuff for the one side and fat fashion for the other side. After all, if you are dieting and exercising, no point in buying an entire closetful of fat fashion, right? And they quickly learn to NOT dare to approach the militant side with weight loss products...as they will be chased off with burning torches.

I will continue to investigate this...as I am very fascinated with it. It is far bigger than just Whitney and her show. And I am so perplexed by this also...because to me, you NEVER give up. That is how I managed to stay a normal weight most of my adult life. You never give up if there is ANY chance you can succeed. You never give up totally until you have no choice. And if you fail....you get up and try again.

And I feel that everyone is entitled to their opinion.....and if someone absolutely does not want to try to control their weight, that is completely their right. What upsets me is thinking that young impressionable girls would be unduly influenced by this. They should absolutely love themselves every single day...everyone should...but they should never give up.

• Love 19

A woman died & was determined to have essentially drowned herself from drinking too much water.

Drowning occurs when water fills the lungs. Drinking too much water can lead to a potentially fatal condition called hyponatremia. All the water leads to extremely low levels of sodium in your bloodstream, which impacts cardiac and kidney function.

I'd be drinking more than 16 8-oz glasses daily, a physical impossibility. 

It's probably possible but definitely seems unadvisable. I was working with a trainer/dietician who set a goal for me to drink 100 ounces per day. I managed it a couple times and came close a bunch but it's a LOT of water. I will say that you definitely don't eat as much when you drink that much water (both because you're constantly in the bathroom to pee and because your stomach is full). It was a challenge for me and I didn't enjoy it but I did find that, after awhile, it got easier and overall my daily water intake has increased from where it was. Then again, aside from a morning latte, and maybe an afternoon coffee, I really only drink water and unsweetened iced tea so I wasn't kicking a soda habit or anything...

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

It's probably possible but definitely seems unadvisable. I was working with a trainer/dietician who set a goal for me to drink 100 ounces per day. I managed it a couple times and came close a bunch but it's a LOT of water.

I've been able to manage it but only under the conditions where I'm out doing prolonged and strenuous physical activity and it's hot outside. But like you said, hyponatremia is a concern so I actually will do electrolyte tablets or watered-down sports drinks to replace the sodium and potassium that I'm sweating out in buckets. One of my favorite things about the long distance charity bike rides is the pickles. Practically every rest area has pickles!

Coffee, tea, and even beer contain enough water that they more than offset any dehydrating property of the caffeine or alcohol. It's when you start getting into chugging espresso , wine or hard liquor that you're not gaining hydration.

• Love 1

One of my favorite things about the long distance charity bike rides is the pickles.

Pickling is a horrible thing to do to an innocent, delicious cucumber.

I've been able to manage it but only under the conditions where I'm out doing prolonged and strenuous physical activity and it's hot outside.

It's fair to say that I'm NEVER under the condition where I'm out doing prolonged and strenuous physical activity :)

• Love 3
27 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

Pickling is a horrible thing to do to an innocent, delicious cucumber.

I am in the other camp: cucumber only exists to realize its true potential and become pickle.

• Love 9

You're both wrong, pickles and cucumbers are both delicious. Cucumbers with Tajin, cubed mozzarella, chickpeas, and cherry tomatoes is my favorite summer salad. Or a post-run snack with cottage cheese, salt, and sriracha.

4 hours ago, cherenkov said:

I've been able to manage it but only under the conditions where I'm out doing prolonged and strenuous physical activity and it's hot outside. But like you said, hyponatremia is a concern so I actually will do electrolyte tablets or watered-down sports drinks to replace the sodium and potassium that I'm sweating out in buckets. One of my favorite things about the long distance charity bike rides is the pickles. Practically every rest area has pickles!

Coffee, tea, and even beer contain enough water that they more than offset any dehydrating property of the caffeine or alcohol. It's when you start getting into chugging espresso , wine or hard liquor that you're not gaining hydration.

A few years ago I was running an overnight ultramarathon and around mile 35, my vision started to go. I was stuck on the Golden Gate bridge and promised myself I'd quit once I made it off the bridge, but once I got to the aid station they gave me a salt packet and I was like Popeye after some spinach. I usually just do marathons and on a cool day in San Francisco, I can usually go without electrolytes for a long time. It was downright cold on the overnight leg, and still overcast and chilly in the morning, so I didn't realize how much I was sweating. I hadn't eaten much and had taken almost no electrolytes or salt, and very nearly ended up having to DNF for medical reasons. I kept taking salt packets and I'm pretty sure they're the reason I didn't end up in the hospital that day.

The risk of hyponatremia is super low--this was after 35 miles of running and no sleep, and I bounced back immediately with some salt. Most people don't get enough hydration, myself included, and I drink water around the clock.

And now I'm disappointed that none of my races ever had pickles at the aid stations. Pickles are so delicious and the perfect snack during a distance run!

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, monagatuna said:

You're both wrong, pickles and cucumbers are both delicious. Cucumbers with Tajin, cubed mozzarella, chickpeas, and cherry tomatoes is my favorite summer salad. Or a post-run snack with cottage cheese, salt, and sriracha.

A few years ago I was running an overnight ultramarathon and around mile 35, my vision started to go. I was stuck on the Golden Gate bridge and promised myself I'd quit once I made it off the bridge, but once I got to the aid station they gave me a salt packet and I was like Popeye after some spinach. I usually just do marathons and on a cool day in San Francisco, I can usually go without electrolytes for a long time. It was downright cold on the overnight leg, and still overcast and chilly in the morning, so I didn't realize how much I was sweating. I hadn't eaten much and had taken almost no electrolytes or salt, and very nearly ended up having to DNF for medical reasons. I kept taking salt packets and I'm pretty sure they're the reason I didn't end up in the hospital that day.

The risk of hyponatremia is super low--this was after 35 miles of running and no sleep, and I bounced back immediately with some salt. Most people don't get enough hydration, myself included, and I drink water around the clock.

And now I'm disappointed that none of my races ever had pickles at the aid stations. Pickles are so delicious and the perfect snack during a distance run!

I am blown away by your physical activity (at least what I could understand from what is a foreign language to me.  LOL).

Even better, they should offer frozen pickle pops.  To die for, if you like pickles.

Edited by AZChristian
Typo
  • Love 1
28 minutes ago, monagatuna said:

The color of your urine tells you a lot. If it's a nice pale yellow you're doing well on the hydration.

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/what-the-color-of-your-urine-says-about-you-infographic/

I'm usually in the top three areas, although during / just after a couple of events I made it to 5.

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Elizzikra said:

I always wondered if it was possible to make pickles even nastier. Now I know!

I get it, but on a hot day and lots of physical activity, you would be surprised at the things that taste amazing. I used to race a lot, and at the expos (where you pick up your bib and t-shirt, and there's a huge convention center full of vendors selling things), there are a lot of free samples of energy gels, stroopwaffels, gummies, bars, etc. I never can stomach them at an expo, but in the middle of a race, they're insanely delicious. I imagine pickle pops to be one of those things.

On topic, one of my friends just shared the Dancing Man Saga where the fat guy from Britain (?) was bullied online and a bunch of people threw him a dance party. This was featured on MBFFL back on S1 or S2...and in the collection of photos there was one of Whitney from the back, back when she was still almost likeable.

Edited by monagatuna
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, cherenkov said:

The color of your urine tells you a lot. If it's a nice pale yellow you're doing well on the hydration.

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/what-the-color-of-your-urine-says-about-you-infographic/

I'm usually in the top three areas, although during / just after a couple of events I made it to 5.

Thanks so much for that link! I've known generally that darker urine means dehydration, but that was the extent of it. Bookmarked!

1 hour ago, monagatuna said:

I get it, but on a hot day and lots of physical activity, you would be surprised at the things that taste amazing.

And it basically boils down to salt, glucose and water at that point. Energy gels and chews and stuff don't taste what I would call "good" at all. But I'll be damned if 18 miles into run I'm not like "HIT ME WITH THAT FUCKIN GU" and I don't even care what "flavor" it is.

I'm willing to bet that late in the day of the MS 150 if someone gave me a frozen pickle on a stick that was rolled in grape jelly it would be the most delicious thing I ever ate.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

I'd be drinking more than 16 8-oz glasses daily, a physical impossibility. 

It's probably possible but definitely seems unadvisable. I was working with a trainer/dietician who set a goal for me to drink 100 ounces per day. I managed it a couple times and came close a bunch but it's a LOT of water. I will say that you definitely don't eat as much when you drink that much water (both because you're constantly in the bathroom to pee and because your stomach is full). It was a challenge for me and I didn't enjoy it but I did find that, after awhile, it got easier and overall my daily water intake has increased from where it was. Then again, aside from a morning latte, and maybe an afternoon coffee, I really only drink water and unsweetened iced tea so I wasn't kicking a soda habit or anything...

I routinely drink between 15 and 20 8-oz glasses of water a day. It's rare that I drink fewer than 12 glasses, but I also don't drink anything else. I broke a very serious diet Coke addiction (that withdraw was real I tell you!) and occasionally have unsweet tea if I eat out. Those have always been my only sources of caffeine. Since I live alone, I don't have to deal with the temptation of anything else in the house plus I hate milk and can't have juice due to the sugar content (I'm a diabetic, but I have tight control on my blood glucose). I've never had a problem but it may be that it's just become routine over the years. I'm rarely without my water bottle, even in the courthouse.

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, MegD said:

I routinely drink between 15 and 20 8-oz glasses of water a day. It's rare that I drink fewer than 12 glasses, but I also don't drink anything else. I broke a very serious diet Coke addiction (that withdraw was real I tell you!) and occasionally have unsweet tea if I eat out. Those have always been my only sources of caffeine. Since I live alone, I don't have to deal with the temptation of anything else in the house plus I hate milk and can't have juice due to the sugar content (I'm a diabetic, but I have tight control on my blood glucose). I've never had a problem but it may be that it's just become routine over the years. I'm rarely without my water bottle, even in the courthouse.

I *routinely* drink 100 oz of water a day. Most people don't realize it, but you lose A LOT of water when you swim. I will typically lose 3# during a swim --- that's 48 ounces of water that needs replaced, or I start to cramp up. 

10 hours ago, Colleenna said:

I *routinely* drink 100 oz of water a day. Most people don't realize it, but you lose A LOT of water when you swim. I will typically lose 3# during a swim --- that's 48 ounces of water that needs replaced, or I start to cramp up. 

They don't realize it because the average person isn't doing any physical activity on a daily basis. It's not absurd for someone who is very active to replace the volume of water lost through sweat. What's hilarious is the idea that a sedentary office worker who does no purposeful exercise (or very little like 15 minutes on an elliptical at level 0 three times a week) needs to drink nearly  a gallon of water a day.

• Love 4
On 2018-05-02 at 12:05 PM, cherenkov said:

This reminds me of the time I drank beet juice ( I have never had it before) before bed. In the morning I got the shock of my life, called in sick and was about to head to an emergency clinic before I remembered. Oops.

• Love 6

I drank beet juice

I like beets about as much as I like pickles. Which is to say, not at all. Beets taste like dirt.

A frozen pickle washed down with a big glass of beet juice - that's my idea of one of the circles of hell.

• Love 5
On 4/30/2018 at 3:54 PM, AZChristian said:

Actually (in answer to each of your questions):

• No sports bra
  • No long skirt
  • No huge flowers
  • Worse stuff than that is "the rage" on cruises
  • Quite a few people looked to be topping 400 pounds . . . but we never went to the buffet, so we didn't see a lot of them out and about.  They tend to hang out on Deck 16 (the buffet).

Thanks.  Great cruise on the Allure of the Seas to Haiti, Jamaica, and Cozumel.  SOOOOO relaxing!!!!

Interesting to know.  I have never been on a cruise in my life. At least I know what not to wear. LOL. 

• Love 1

Yesterday I ran my first ever full marathon. I was slow and it hurt a lot, rained on me for miles, but I did it:

KP6QSuX.jpg

Congrats!! Are you a yinzer, or just there for the marathon? I'm an ahta tahn yinzer.

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, Colleenna said:

Congrats!! Are you a yinzer, or just there for the marathon? I'm an ahta tahn yinzer.

Yinzer, born and raised.

I et my pre-race dinner dahn Primanti's.

I run the P3R races. Next up is the Liberty Mile. I plan to smoke the shit out of last year's time.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, cherenkov said:

Yesterday I ran my first ever full marathon. I was slow and it hurt a lot, rained on me for miles, but I did it:

KP6QSuX.jpg

Congrats to you! I've never gone past four miles, so I admire those who can. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, kar328 said:

Congrats to you! I've never gone past four miles, so I admire those who can. 

I know it sounds crazy, but it really just took going a little further, and then a little further, and then a little more than that. Week after week. For two years. I went from 5K to 26.2 and if you had told me two years ago that I would run a marathon one day, I'd have laughed my ass off.

• Love 1

OK, I'm just gonna put all this out there in the interest of full disclosure. 

I am overweight, though not nearly as much as Twitney Ways2much Thore. She weighs well over twice what I do, and is 3" shorter than I. I'm also more than twice her age. (I'm almost Babs's age.) 

So I have zero tolerance for Twitney half-assing it through her "workout," not caring what she eats, and accusing anyone who dares to mention her weight as "body shaming." 

I GET THAT IT'S HARD. Christ on a bicycle, I'd give a small fortune for a day without sore muscles, when I could eat all the froyo (my downfall!) I want. I've been 70# heavier than I am right now. I've gotten it down, but it's been slooooooow. 

But tomorrow morning, I'll get up, have my breakfast smoothie and whole grain toast, and head to the gym for an hour of weight lifting and a mile swim. 

Sorry.... I just had to vent.

• Love 10
On 5/9/2018 at 9:49 PM, Colleenna said:

What Cherenkov said. 

Besides, you misspelled "Golden Knights."  GO FLOWER GO!

I drowned my sorrows of a Penguins loss in a 30K trail run with 3350 feet of elevation gain on Saturday. My legs are still sore. It's awesome.

• Love 2

To my fellow athletic shoe slut: 

Asics released its new Cumulus 20 today. The women's shoe weighs in at 8 oz, only slightly more than my Hoka.

And conveniently, the running store is near my massage therapist......

Oh, I guess to stay on topic I should mention these are good shoes for big people. 

:-P

• Love 3
1 hour ago, 3girlsforus said:

Since there is apparently a hereditary component, she’ll blame Babs and say it’s too late to cure her. 

Even if they are able to cure Twit's PCOS, that still won't cure her overactive salivary glands and that elbow condition.....the one that keeps bending her pasta-laden fork toward her mouth. 

• Love 7
On 5/14/2018 at 6:13 PM, Colleenna said:

To my fellow athletic shoe slut: 

Asics released its new Cumulus 20 today. The women's shoe weighs in at 8 oz, only slightly more than my Hoka.

And conveniently, the running store is near my massage therapist......

Oh, I guess to stay on topic I should mention these are good shoes for big people. 

:-P

After my 30K trail race, I've decided that the Saucony Peregrine 8s are pretty good shoes and I'm totally going to wear a pair of them when I run my trail full marathon this fall that I just signed up for.

In other news:

UOAv425.jpg

• Love 1

I only run in Saucony. I supinate really badly and they’re the only ones who make a shoe that supports it. Unfortunately they always discontinue whatever shoes I’ve been using so I have to go to a new model, but it’s only ever ended badly when I’ve moved away from Saucs.

Speaking of! Husbo, who will grudgingly run shorter races with me (which makes me crazy—he’s a natural runner and outperforms me even when he hasn’t trained—what a waste, I tell ya) has agreed to run the Avenue of the Giants Half with me next year! We just spent a week in Napa and stopped through the Redwoods on the way down—it’s my happy place—and I think he saw how much I love it there and was sold. In fact, when I asked him if he thinks I should run it, he *offered* to run it too! I’m so excited. I already have our training montaging happily in my head. 

• Love 1