Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 01/12/15

Athena
  • Start Topic

And I thought it was funny when Rosie compared to sexuality as not always something you know right away like that you have blue eyes, because I'm one of those people who never knows if his eyes are blue or green.  I think that's pretty common, that blue eyes can look very green depending on what a person is wearing, so maybe not the best analogy, but I completely agree with the idea that sexuality is a spectrum.  That's why I was so confused for so long about my own.

TRUTH! And I'll give you an example of someone else: Tom Welling. Sometimes his eyes are blue, sometimes Green, sometimes a combination, and just GORGEOUS. His prettiness is the only reason I stuck it out with Smallville to the bitter end.

• Love 1

Rosie and Barbara's arts and craft session reminds me of when they do arts and crafts projects with Alzheimer's patients in nursing homes. If this is a regular thing, I'm out on Fridays. I find it more embarrassing for Barbara than entertaining. Now we're selling toys to who? Absolutely hated today's show.

Edited by Bronzedog
  • Love 1

I seem to remember the "no stockings, even in the cold" way back during the Meridith and Star days.

That little boy is cute my 4 year old watches his toy reviews on YouTube.

Kinetic sand is beyond awesome!

• Love 1

Rosie and Barbara's arts and craft session reminds me of when they do arts and crafts projects with Alzheimer's patients in nursing homes. If this is a regular thing, I'm out on Fridays. 

I thought the craft segment was cute.  Rosie loves her crafts.  I had no idea you could make soaps at home.  But yeah, maybe it's not the best idea to include Barbara in these types of segments.  Her not being able to squeeze the food coloring bottle was kind of sad. 

• Love 3

I might have to go back to skipping pre-taped Fridays if Babs is going to be a regular there.  

I seem to remember the "no stockings, even in the cold" way back during the Meridith and Star days.

I think Nicolle's fashion advice (and Babs) is as dated as those days.   Black opaque tights made a comeback, at least on the runway.  Also, on the list of 10 [Fashion] Things Every Woman Must Own according to InStyle Magazine.      I never stopped wearing them in the winter so it was good news to me. 

• Love 4

I missed the show this morning & only just caught the interview near the end with the actors from a new show.  When they were milling about greeting each other, it appeared that the actor guy turned his back on Mario.  Is that what I saw?  I'll check it when I watch downstairs tonight (VCR'd show), but just wanted to know if my eyes deceived me.  Thanks.

Yeah, I can't watch these shows w/Babs either.  The fact that she is so damn senile and railroads the topics to what she wants to discuss.  Rosie wants to talk about the cold weather and her kids refusing to wear coats, so Babs decides to relate that to women not wearing hose anymore b/c her good friend Anna Wintour has deemed it unfashionable.  Rosie decides to bring up her favorite tv family of the moment on the show Shameless, so Babs decides to say how much she loves Downton Abbey.  Rosie goes w/the change of topic so they all discuss their favorite television shows they are invested in and tries to discuss the final season of Parenthood and Babs just starts saying Sex and the City and Modern Family like a babbling fool.  Rosie brings up a topic of being optimistic can prolong your health and Nicole tries and ties it in w/Rosie and her heart attack and if that changed her outlook on life.  Rosie then mentions how she meditates, and Mario joins in that he had dabbled w/that in the past.  Here is Babs contribution, "well you know I interviewed the Dali Lama."  I decide I can't take it anymore and delete todays program from the dvr.

If we are only getting Babs on Fridays b/c Whoopi is out then by all means bring back Whoopi.

Edited by CMH1981
  • Love 10

Yeah, I can't watch these shows w/Babs either.  The fact that she is so damn senile and railroads the topics to what she wants to discuss.  Rosie wants to talk about the cold weather and her kids refusing to wear coats, so Babs decides to relate that to women not wearing hose anymore b/c her good friend Anna Wintour has deemed it unfashionable.  Rosie decides to bring up her favorite tv family of the moment on the show Shameless, so Babs decides to say how much she loves Downton Abbey.  Rosie goes w/the change of topic so they all discuss their favorite television shows they are invested in and tries to discuss the final season of Parenthood and Babs just starts saying Sex and the City and Parenthood like a babbling fool.  Rosie brings up a topic of being optimistic can prolong your health and Nicole tries and ties it in w/Rosie and her heart attack and if that changed her outlook on life.  Rosie then mentions how she meditates, and Mario joins in that he had dabbled w/that in the past.  Here is Babs contribution, "well you know I interviewed the Dali Lama."  I decide I can't take it anymore and delete todays program from the dvr.

Haha!  Great recap CMH! Sounds like the Babs I grew to dread. 

I've yet to watch today but now I think I'll skip it.   I would think that suffering through The Year of Barbara by Barbara would be enough without the weekly appearances.  Grrrr. 

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 4
Rosie decides to bring up her favorite tv family of the moment on the show Shameless, so Babs decides to say how much she loves Downton Abbey.

Interesting that she mispronounced the name of the show (it was not her accent) sevreral times.  Instead of the common mispronunciation "DownTOWN," she pronounces it "DONton."

What I noticed about the interview with the stars of  "Girlfriends Guide to Divorce," Barbara held firm to her blue cards and told each actor what his/her character was doing--what the storyline was.  We've been free of that irritation for a little while now--and it's nice.

• Love 5

I've never been a BW fan but it's time for someone to save her from herself. As someone whose father died from Alzheimer complications, I found today's show disturbing. I'm not saying BW has Alzheimer's but it's time for her to retire for real.

• Love 6

Interesting that she mispronounced the name of the show (it was not her accent) sevreral times.  Instead of the common mispronunciation "DownTOWN," she pronounces it "DONton."

That was driving me crazy, Former Nun. I hadn't hollered at the tv in a while until then. The crafting bit with RO and BW is like a car wreck. I want to ff but I just keep waiting for the next zinger from RO.

When they sat down at the beginning of the show, Babs did the whole "what song is that" "is that the Bitch is back?". I thought I was watching last Friday's show for a few minutes.

• Love 2

From this week:

- I'd like to adopt the cookie-making kid, please. Beyond adorable, and smart.

- Whoopie, hope you're watching. Take notes while you and your boobs are flat on the bed.

- No panel, Hucklebee is not a good guy. Stop being generous in remarks about a close-minded egotist.

- I think the show can be saved. More Rosie, and a toned-down Whoopie would go a long way. Both are A-listers with something to offer. I recently watched Whoopie being interviewed by Howard Stern, and Letterman. I like that Whoopie a lot.

- I'll stop wearing tights in cold weather when men stopping wearing socks. Arbitrary fashion "rules" baffle me, not to mention the impractical ones always seem directed toward women. (Btw, Can't wait for women to dump the mile-high-I-can't-walk-in-these shoes, along with the general hooker-look.)

• Love 12

When they sat down at the beginning of the show, Babs did the whole "what song is that" "is that the Bitch is back?". I thought I was watching last Friday's show for a few minutes.

I felt that too, and then again when they re-played the second half of the stupid "6 essential nutrients/Centrum shill" bit which was was stupid the first time, and nonsensical the second.

• Love 5

Nicholle is so hyper sometimes.  Her voice gets very loud and shrill and she interrupts and will ask the same question several times and turn away before the person can answer and ask someone else a question, e.g., to Mario, "Did you do it for heart health?"  She reminds me of my granddaughter's little friend who is ADHD.

I wish BW had a closer relationship with her daughter.  Now would be the time I would be spending a lot more time with her if she were my mom.

• Love 6

I thought the craft segment was cute.  Rosie loves her crafts.  I had no idea you could make soaps at home.  But yeah, maybe it's not the best idea to include Barbara in these types of segments.  Her not being able to squeeze the food coloring bottle was kind of sad. 

Sad, but I was hoping she'd pick it up, hold it up to her face and squeeze, drenching herself in food coloring. I'm mean that way.  

• Love 6

I've noticed that Nicholle and Rosie have had several political discussions that were thought provoking and respectful - since Whoopi's been out.  This leads me to believe that Whoopi unnecessarily ratchets up the tension, and contributes nothing substantive to these arguments.  I hope TPTB will notice the change in tone while she was gone, and the change in tone when she returns.  I don't care how long Whoopi's contract is - buy it out and fire her.

• Love 17

This leads me to believe that Whoopi unnecessarily ratchets up the tension, and contributes nothing substantive to these arguments.  I hope TPTB will notice the change in tone while she was gone, and the change in tone when she returns.  I don't care how long Whoopi's contract is - buy it out and fire her.

This might just happen, and it all depends on next week.  When Whoopi returns next week if we see the tension and arguments ratchet up next week to where it is tense and awkward there is no way that ABC can't take notice of it and realize that it is due to Whoopi.  I could totally see them buying Whoopi out of her contract and letting her go.

• Love 6

Rosie and Barbara's arts and craft session reminds me of when they do arts and crafts projects with Alzheimer's patients in nursing homes. If this is a regular thing, I'm out on Fridays. I find it more embarrassing for Barbara than entertaining. 

Yeah, thought the same. In past years I sometimes enjoyed Barbara and sometimes found her irritating. I was away from The View for a couple of years, so maybe I missed the change in Barbara. It's like all of a sudden she is the fragile woman with signs of dementia. 

• Love 1

I am drinking a cosmo and a little looped and I am watching the craft segment. I have to say I love Rosie O. I don't always agree with her and she is sometimes a little "nutsy" but overall she is fun to watch.

• Love 10

I kind of like this elderly retired Aunt Babs who comes to visit once a month or so.    After her most fascinating special recently--where she did the rounds to promote it, I really got the sense she's done--that she doesn't plan to keep coming in as a leader--so I kind of like her visiting once in a while to fill in.  And Rosie is adorable with her.

• Love 2

I think of her as more the drunk uncle you stop inviting to the Christmas party.  She has made her mark and "retired".  Just be like Regis and make guest appearances on David Letterman.  Leave with your dignity seems to escape this one.

Edited by polodog
  • Love 7

A classic Barbara moment the likes of which I haven't missed "Anna Wintour, you know who that is right?"  Then she goes on to explain anyway.  Have to be honest, I couldn't make it to the crafts.

Did I miss Kelly Osbourne or did she not show this week?

So I did end up watching today, seemed like a good idea while doing laundry, lol.   Besides the mess that Babs made of the Not So Hot Topics as already illustrated by  CMH1981 I noticed a few other things, including how smoothly RO just went with whatever crap Babs was blathering on.  RO mentioned the show Parenthood ending and Babs answered with Modern Family is the show to watch!!  And yet, RO just let it go and they moved on - to a commercial I think.  She really is a pro; never rattled, no eye rolls, etc. 

Mario Cantone has won me over on this show.  Like Cementhead, I never really disliked him completely because of his association with (also my beloved) Sex and The City (where my decade old screen name came from) but these past two weeks I've gotten to see a calmer side to him, a more thoughtful side and I enjoyed it.

Did anyone catch the bumper where the entire audience (including Mario, and RO)  is holding up pictures of Whoopi and chanting her name?  Good grief.  The promo was Whoopi's back! on Tuesday.   Big deal is what I say. 

I loved Nicolle's dress and matching shoes, bare legs and all.  She really is cute and I think she was a great choice for this show. 

But the interview with the two stars from Girl's Guide to Divorce was a flashback to The Spew with Babs and her constant fascination with sex.  I did laugh out loud earlier at the look on her face when Mario said he sometimes initiates sex with his husband by asking, "Wanna f..."  Hahaha!  But I liked Nicolle's version more: asking her husband, "Did you shower today?"  "Me neither" and then just forget it. 

Did I miss Kelly Osbourne or did she not show this week?

No show and no mention of her appearing.  Or Joy for that matter.  I guess Joy has the flu. 

• Love 5

The show would almost be better with just Rosie and Nicolle, with Rosie explaining life to Nicolle Wallace, who just seems so sheltered and ignorant of everything that isn't from her own life and life experiences.  I love Rosie's interest in other people, and I love all her documentary suggestions because thats my thing to.  I relate to her a lot, her level of empathy for others, things like Newton wipe me out emotionally.  She has said on her blog she doesn't really pay attention to politics, and I need to do that, because it just bums me out.

I can't imagine ever saying someone like Mike Huckabee was a good guy.  That just floors me, and is just not reality based.  And I feel bad in a way for Republicans, because everything they have supported and believed in has been proven false, and they just can't admit their mistakes and move forward.  It's like the entire world is against you, catch a clue.  It reminds me of a David Sedaris joke, on how liberal the US is getting, what will the Republicans do now?  Move to Right Wing Europe?  That being said, I'll always hold Nicolle in high regard for not voting for McCain.

Edited by Morbs
  • Love 9

OK, I just got around to watching this. Barbara reminds me of my mother when she was about that age, mid-80s, where I had to start being extra patient and extra careful with her. Realizing that in my 60s, I was now the adult. My mother, however, had kind of given up on life, prefering to stay home and watch TV and movies nearly 24/7. (Part of it was her health, while part was just being stubborn.) 

Barbara still looks presentable, hasn't given in to age, and in fact has energy and humor. (Even if her humor is now annoying!) 

/Rosie didn't, but I'm rolling my eyes! 

• Love 3

I missed the show this morning & only just caught the interview near the end with the actors from a new show.  When they were milling about greeting each other, it appeared that the actor guy turned his back on Mario.  Is that what I saw?  I'll check it when I watch downstairs tonight (VCR'd show), but just wanted to know if my eyes deceived me.  Thanks.

MedicineCrow, after I read this I went back to specifically check this out.  I watched the moment twice and it did appear that the actor maybe gave Mario the brush off during the meet and greet moment but I can't tell if it was intentional or not.    I don't know anything about the actor at all.  I've been meaning to catch the Girl's Guide to Divorce because I generally like the crap on Bravo but I haven't seen it yet. 

• Love 1

MedicineCrow, after I read this I went back to specifically check this out.  I watched the moment twice and it did appear that the actor maybe gave Mario the brush off during the meet and greet moment but I can't tell if it was intentional or not.    I don't know anything about the actor at all.  I've been meaning to catch the Girl's Guide to Divorce because I generally like the crap on Bravo but I haven't seen it yet. 

Thanks Cosmo!!  I did the same as you, only four times, & couldn't definitively say that's what happened.  I kind of focused on Mario's face the last two times & he looked taken aback.  I don't know, but thanks for the input.

• Love 1

This might just happen, and it all depends on next week.  When Whoopi returns next week if we see the tension and arguments ratchet up next week to where it is tense and awkward there is no way that ABC can't take notice of it and realize that it is due to Whoopi.  I could totally see them buying Whoopi out of her contract and letting her go.

im not so sure..... how many years did Elisabeth last while being an obvious Right wing shill on the show. I know Sweaty Getty was feeding her crap..... but there were people above him at ABC.... and they never stepped in

• Love 5

I know that gossip columns are just that, gossip but this item rings very true to me:

This married B list mostly television actress from a hit network show in its last days apparently wore a cheerleader costume from her show when she hooked up with this executive while she was trying to secure a spot on a show looking to revamp its lineup. I think her husband might be kicked out very soon. Naya Rivera "Glee"/Bill Wolff "The View"

This married B list mostly television actress from a hit network show in its last days apparently wore a cheerleader costume from her show when she hooked up with this executive while she was trying to secure a spot on a show looking to revamp its lineup. I think her husband might be kicked out very soon. Naya Rivera "Glee"/Bill Wolff "The View"

I don't see it, I just don't.  Wolff has been married to Alison Stewart for  quite awhile, I see Naya being that skeevy - but I don't see her being Wolff's type, at all.

About yesterday's fiasco with BW, what really bothered me was BW's constant references to Lisa Edelstein's age which is 48, did she constantly yap at Sherri for how well she looked for her age??? Sherri who dressed & acted like she was 16...

Lisa Edelstein is a great actress & did not need BW's antiquated opinions!!

• Love 1
Mario Cantone has won me over on this show.  Like Cementhead, I never really disliked him completely because of his association with (also my beloved) Sex and The City (where my decade old screen name came from) but these past two weeks I've gotten to see a calmer side to him, a more thoughtful side and I enjoyed it.

So..think of people like me who have always liked him (wish he weren't so manic at times).  Getting to hear his empathy and smart opinions make me wish maybe there could be a man on The View--if that man were Mario.

• Love 6

So..think of people like me who have always liked him (wish he weren't so manic at times).  Getting to hear his empathy and smart opinions make me wish maybe there could be a man on The View--if that man were Mario.

Former Nun, I have always liked Mario as well (especially when he is not so manic).  I even went to see his off Broadway show years ago based on Joy's recommendation.  It was called Crumple Zone.  I remember that to enter the bathroom, you had to walk onstage to the left.  The bathroom was very fresh and frilly.  LOL.  I especially liked that Mario showed his vulnerability on Friday's show and talked about his dark moods  and how much it helped him to be asked to do the show.

• Love 10

Just finished watching Friday's show and , even with Barbara on it, I found it enjoyable to watch (with the exception of the vitamin commercial Mario and Nicole were forced to do). I do resent the time they spend fawning over Barbara when she is on and

The opening discussions about cold weather clothes, favorite shows, love, and optimism vs. pessimism. Comments by everyone on the panel seemed genuine - I loved that Mario liked Friday Night Lights. The concept that meditation could be the next frontier in heart disease treatment was insightful.

I liked the craft segment, but I do tend to like cooking and other segments once in a while that get them out from behind the table.

Don't watch that Girlfriends Guide show and didn't recognize the 2 actors. The kids segment were cute and Rosie's banter with them made me smile.

P.S. Four is the perfect number of cohosts...five is too many.

• Love 3

Don't watch that Girlfriends Guide show and didn't recognize the 2 actors.

Those "2 actors" have been on many hit shows, I have never watched their new show, either..but they both have the talent to make it very entertaining & enjoyable :)

Somewhere on one of the View topics I thought I read that they were bringing BW back every Friday for a period of time - I don't remember when they said.

I can't begin to fathom why any of the so called 'bright lights' at ABC would begin to believe that bringing BW back would "save" the show or "halt" the ratings decline.

If she is on, she is the reason I do not tune in....period.

The ratings decline in younger people is because they DO NOT HAVE YOUNGER PEOPLE ON THE DAMN PANEL!

Cripes, it's not really rocket science.

• Love 9

I can't begin to fathom why any of the so called 'bright lights' at ABC would begin to believe that bringing BW back would "save" the show or "halt" the ratings decline.

If she is on, she is the reason I do not tune in....period.

The ratings decline in younger people is because they DO NOT HAVE YOUNGER PEOPLE ON THE DAMN PANEL!

Cripes, it's not really rocket science.

I totally agree that the last thing the show needs is BW there at all, much less weekly, maybe the show does need a young co-host. BUT...........if Naya, gets the position it shows where the ABC execs minds are.............. She is totally just another version of empty head bitsy, we DO NOT need that type of younger person but she is a minority so apparently that qualifies her.

I am not a prejudiced person but hiring someone entirely for their ethnicity is beyond the beyond.There are many talented, intelligent young women who would make a great addition to the show, ABC start looking beyond ethnicity & sexy & shallow.........................

• Love 1