Type keyword(s) to search

Gotham in the Media

Athena
  • Start Topic

Very happy to hear this news! I was all ready to be sad about the cancellation, but now we get another season! One more season sounds good, we can wrap everything up and still get some Gotham craziness. Yeah!!!!!

• Love 2
52 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

https://t.co/4Jesd9MTC7

Renewed for a final season! WOOT!  It's the last show I was waiting on. Glad to see it's getting a proper send off. 

Fitting. I don't think the show has anywhere else to go except to have Batman emerge in Episode 100. I'm glad we'll get a proper finish, one that I hope will have more of Jeremiah.

I'm also hoping FOX will use Gotham to reboot the Batman movie franchise, but I'm guessing that's asking too much.

• Love 4

I think one more season is a good call. We`re nearing the end game, with Bruce establishing his Bruce Wayne persona as well as his Batman life, our villains are just about in place, and you can see Jim becoming the world weary but good hearted guy the older Commissionaire Gordan will be in most Batman stories. We can wrap things up, while not spinning our wheels. 

• Love 6
(edited)

I'm glad it was renewed.  I have fallen way behind (I guess I quasi-quit after the first half of Season 3).  I was mostly only interested in Bruce's story and I was hoping the show would last long enough for him to grow up and become Batman.  The kid is still so young but a fifth season is better than nothing and hopefully this will force them to do more purposeful character arcs.  This will give me some motivation to catch up to see the final season.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1
(edited)

Gotham  being renewed for a shortened 13 episode season brings it to a close for fans but for Fox's point of view it puts it past the 100 episode mark and therefore syndication.   Either way I am happy.  Even if it gets just 13 more episode, that is plenty to finish out the show.  

My guess that we won't actually see Bruce Wayne BECOME Batman but we will see that final step he takes towards the no turning back point where he decides to make the choice to become a vigilante.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 2
15 minutes ago, Danielg342 said:

David Mazouz turns 18 next February. I don't think it's out of the question that he puts on the Batsuit at some point next season.

I can’t think of a better final shot of the series than Gordon meeting with Batman on the roof for the first time. 

• Love 6

Not happy that this will be the last season. I've always had my problems with this show but I've been to so many panels to see the cast because I really like them and their passion for this show. Plus I will miss seeing my sexy Barbara Kean.

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, Last Time Lord said:

I can’t think of a better final shot of the series than Gordon meeting with Batman on the roof for the first time. 

Maybe with his moustache for the first time because the stress meant Gordon didn't have time to shave.

• Love 3

Well, getting renewed for a final season is certainly a bit bittersweet, but considering the other options and, frankly, how bad the ratings have been recently, this is a solid enough of a victory.

Definitely sounds like they're gearing for the finale to end with Bruce dawning the suit, and I guess we'll also see the villains really become who they are in the comics.  But my main concern is we better see Gordon with that iconic stache, dammit!

• Love 3
(edited)

If S5 is the final season, we need to see how this Bruce ends up wanting to have a Bat persona in his vigilantism.  We saw a bit of it this season in that one episode, but hopefully it is zeroed in more.

Selina simultaneously wanting to have a persona of her own and given reasons for doing so needs to happen too.

Regardless of everything else, watching those iconic characters in particular literally grow up on screen has been a treat.  Which we could have gotten that with Ivy.  S4 promised to be big in the development of those characters.  I thought they were pretty hit/miss.  Season 5 needs to be hit 100%

Edited by DR14
  • Love 3
(edited)

Gotham Renewed for Final Season That Promises to Reveal ...
By Matt Webb Mitovich / May 13 2018, 5:00 PM PDT
http://tvline.com/2018/05/13/gotham-renewed-final-season-5-fox/

In an 11th hour decision, Fox has renewed Gotham for a fifth and final season, TVLine has learned. An episode count remains TBD. The pickup will allow producers to properly “wrap up” the Batman prequel saga, with the final season focusing on Bruce’s transformation into Batman.
Fox will hold its annual Upfront Presentation to advertisers, where its complete 2018-19 schedule and new programming announcements are revealed, on Monday, May 14 in New York.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

I am loving the sound of this. We are lucky FOX actually did us a solid and commissioned a final season and it gives the writers plenty of time to wrap the show up properly. I'm gonna set up a wish list for those who might want certain things in the last season.

• Love 4
59 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I am not surprised that it was brought back, especially when factoring how fast other shows were being cancelled.  No news was good news.

It made much more sense to bring this show back over Lucifer, since this show has more episodes already in the can for syndication purposes.

Plus, the writing for Gotham this season is much improved, and Lucifer's writing for this season has been all sorts of horrible.

I think that's what WB did in regards to Lucifer/Gotham even though they had similar ratings. I'm sure the only one Fox was invested in hanging on to was Lethal Weapon because it was still pulling in decent (for Fox) numbers. 

I'm sure that no matter which got renewed - Gotham or Lucifer - it was only going to get one more season on Fox. Their numbers were already low for both and traditionally shows get lower ratings as they get older. Lucifer finishes this season with 55 episodes in the tank. Even if they got a full 22 episode order for next year, that still wouldn't get them to the minimum of 88 episodes for syndication, and outside of some miracle jump in the ratings, there was no way Lucifer would have gotten renewed for the 2019-20 season to get it to the 88 episode threshold for syndication. WB probably decided to cut their losses with that show (which is why it was one of the earlier cancellation announcements) and concentrated on seeing if they could get Gotham to the more desirable 100 episodes and a proper finish for syndication (plus I strongly suspect Gotham makes them more money internationally than Lucifer does). They probably sold those final 13 episodes to Fox for a song and plan on making the money up on the back end.

Unfortunately, I don't think the writing played too much into it. They don't care how crappy the writing is as long as people watch. When people stop watching because of the crappy writing is when they start to care about it.

• Love 4
(edited)

This is interesting...

'Gotham' Boss Sets New Batman Prequel Series at Epix (Exclusive)
MAY 16, 2018 9:00am PT by Lesley Goldberg
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/gotham-boss-sets-new-batman-prequel-series-at-epix-1112339

Epix is getting into the DC Comics business.

The MGM-owned premium cable network has handed out a 10-episode, straight-to-series order for Pennyworth, a drama set in the Batman universe from Gotham showrunner Bruno Heller.

The series will revolve around Alfred Pennyworth, the best friend and butler to Bruce Wayne (aka Batman). The series is not a Gotham spinoff but rather an entirely new story exploring Alfred's origins as a former British SAS soldier who forms a secret company and goes to work with Thomas Wayne — Bruce's billionaire father — in 1960s London. Sean Pertwee, who plays Alfred Pennyworth on Fox's recently renewed Gotham, is not involved. Casting has not yet begun and the series is set in a completely different universe despite hailing from Heller and producers Warner Horizon. (Others who have played the Alfred role include Jeremy Irons, Michael Gough, Michael Caine, Alan Napier and William Austin, among others.)

Pennyworth is based on DC characters created by Bob Kane and Bill Finger. Heller will pen the script and executive produce. The drama marks a reunion for Heller with Gotham's Danny Cannon, who will exec produce and direct the pilot as he did with the Fox Batman origin story.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

So we're going to have a Batwoman series?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44868069

I vote Eliza Dushku for the lead! Can TV sustain this and the proposed Pennyworth series simultaneously? And the Ben Affleck Batman movies too?

Really stressing its' gay credentials although I'm pretty cynical about the idea. Gorgeous woman in tight lycra outfit gets some lady loving on with some equally femme girlfriend(s)? Because that's not going to be a crowd pleaser? When we have a male gay hero I'll believe it.   

• Love 1

As long as Batwoman being lesbian is just one aspect of her character and not the main aspect of her character I'll be okay with it. Gay characters never are anything except gay and it's time we broke away from that.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Danielg342 said:

As long as Batwoman being lesbian is just one aspect of her character and not the main aspect of her character I'll be okay with it. Gay characters never are anything except gay and it's time we broke away from that.

Absolutely, it shouldn't define her. 

2 hours ago, darkestboy said:

I'd rather a Batwoman series than an Alfred one to be honest.

Anyways the titles for the first four episodes of Season 5 have apparently been unveiled ....

https://www.cbr.com/gotham-season-five-episode-titles/

Depends, Alfred the SAS hero could be interesting. Does lack flattering bodysuits and capes though. 

Video of Gotham panel at HVFF-NJ last weekend (warning: I haven't watched this entire video, so I don't know if it contains any spoilers)...

Gotham : David Mazouz, Robin Lord Taylor, Drew Powell, and more HVFF New Jersey 2018
Published on Sep 12, 2018, by Fan Fest

9 hours ago, Trini said:

Question: Which episode will be Gotham's 100th?

They won't quite make it to 100. Right now they have 88 episodes in the bank (if you count the two-parter at the end of season three as two separate episodes) and the order for season five is only 10 episodes. 

• Love 1
On 9/25/2018 at 9:22 AM, Kostgard said:

They won't quite make it to 100. Right now they have 88 episodes in the bank (if you count the two-parter at the end of season three as two separate episodes) and the order for season five is only 10 episodes. 

It seems odd that they would stop at 98 episodes!

• Love 1
On 9/25/2018 at 2:03 PM, Trini said:

Thanks. I could have sworn I read somewhere it was hitting 100 this final season.

It would have, had Fox ordered a normal 13-episode season.  Instead it'll probably be shorter (in terms of overall hours) than some miniseries.

On 10/5/2018 at 3:26 PM, Danielg342 said:

Is it confirmed at a 10-episode order? Will there be two-part episodes?

Yes - all the the cast members have said 10 episodes and one of the show's writers/producers said 10 episodes on Twitter a couple days ago.

I have no idea of there will be any two-parters.

10 hours ago, Danielg342 said:

Thanks. I got a feeling FOX may still want to get to that magic 100 number, and I would at least think the finale will be two parts, if not four. I could see a two part premiere and a two part finale.

It would be nice, but Fox doesn't have a piece of the backend, so getting to 100 purely benefits WB.

Meanwhile, here's the Season 5 sizzle reel (mostly recap, but not all) from NYCC!

• Love 3
12 hours ago, srpturtle80 said:

So that will get them to 100 episodes, right?

I was flipping around Twitter this weekend and saw Sean Pertwee saying that they were just getting ready for the final table read this week. This would indicate that the scripts are written and the final filming schedule set.

So I wonder if the two extra episodes are going to be Frankesteined together out of material already shot and some bridge scenes added in for narrative coherence -- or what passes for narrative coherence for Gotham -- or if they're actually going to write and shoot new episodes before the final wrap?  

On 10/30/2018 at 8:48 AM, Amerilla said:

So I wonder if the two extra episodes are going to be Frankesteined together out of material already shot and some bridge scenes added in for narrative coherence -- or what passes for narrative coherence for Gotham -- or if they're actually going to write and shoot new episodes before the final wrap?  

The two 'extra' episodes are probably not a surprise to the crew, etc. It's only being announced publicly now.