Type keyword(s) to search

Hindsight - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I think this show really does its homework as far as the soundtrack goes.

Given that it's aired on VH1, you'd think music would be the one thing they'd get right. ;-)

I think Becca was a real jerk about Kevin, but on the other hand, if Lolly hadn't said anything to him for nearly NINE years (the start of the crush, in 1995, to Becca's confession, in 2004), the statute of limitations should be up by that point.

I like how Becca's work life is going, though I think she shouldn't be totally omnipotent about the future. Some of her ideas should be rejected because they're too ahead of the times. 

Sean was a real asshole at the gallery. I hope Paige decides she doesn't want anything to do with him romantically. Even as a friend she should be wary.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 6

I think Becca was a real jerk about Kevin, but on the other hand, if Lolly hadn't said anything to him for nearly NINE years (the start of the crush, in 1995, to Becca's confession, in 2004), the statute of limitations should be up by that point.

I don't think Lolly's crush on Kevin was that long. She and Becca didn't go to the REM concert before in the original timeline. I was assuming she ran into him sometime in 2003 and got him to come to New York then. Either way, she sat around for over six months at least and didn't tell him how she felt. I'd say about 20% of it is her fault because she's a big chicken. The other 80% was Becca being an asshole.

• Love 4

Yeah--wait! How did the Kevin thing even start in the original pre-time-travel universe anyway?

Oy, I hate time-travel generally. I am not a dumb person, but it makes my head hurt to try to "arrange" in my mind how even fun, silly shit like Bill & Ted could possibly work. Maybe I think too much about it but I can't help it. (I also do this with the layouts of homes and other locations in movies and TV shows; they never seem to make real sense!)

I don't think Lolly's crush on Kevin was that long. She and Becca didn't go to the REM concert before in the original timeline. I was assuming she ran into him sometime in 2003 and got him to come to New York then.

Didn't Lolly always kind of have a crush on him? Or did the feelings develop once she saw him again when he came to New York? In some ways it doesn't matter, because Becca was a jerk no matter what. (And Lolly was a coward for never saying anything.)

But the thing with Kevin too, is that clearly he wasn't still a factor in her life later on, since she was about to marry someone else, so can't she sidestep this landline?

Maybe they never fully resolved their feelings. That seems to be a theme with Becca. And we don't know if he was a factor in her life later on because we don't know their full history after Becca told Lolly about the affair. Maybe Andy was a rebound from Kevin. Another theme with Becca is her ping-ponging between men.

It's a good thing Laura Ramsey is so appealing, because on paper Becca is a horror show. I like her a lot more than I should, and it's because of Ramsey.

Maybe they never fully resolved their feelings. That seems to be a theme with Becca. And we don't know if he was a factor in her life later on because we don't know their full history after Becca told Lolly about the affair. Maybe Andy was a rebound from Kevin. Another theme with Becca is her ping-ponging between men.

It's a good thing Laura Ramsey is so appealing, because on paper Becca is a horror show. I like her a lot more than I should, and it's because of Ramsey.

I'm curious as to what happened with Becca and Kevin after the fallout with Lolly, though I can guess: their relationship didn't survive the guilt. As for sidestepping the land mine, I would presume that pushing Lolly to admit her feelings is Becca's hope to accomplish exactly that. I think the only real obstacle is that Kevin will still want Becca over Lolly (which looks to be the case in the preview) and that could still be sticky but at least it wouldn't be behind Lolly's back, which was probably the worst of the betrayal in the original timeline.

And yes, it's the appeal of Laura Ramsey that sells the character of Becca. Because she is a shitty, shitty friend. And if someone else were playing her, I probably wouldn't still be here.

The Sarah McLachlan song Possession came out in 1993 with her album, but it took a little while to get popular. My father passed away on Dec 31 2002 and I remember that the Coldplay song "Clocks" was played a lot on the radio at that time so that checks out for 2003. I don't remember any other specific songs in this episode?

A Thousand Miles by Vanessa Carlton. Which was popular when it first came out.

I thought last night's show was much better as we finally found out what happened with her and Lolly.  I was distracted when I was watching this, but did Becca tell Lolly about her affair with Kevin on New Year's 2004?  If so, nearly 10 years passed and Lolly still didn't make a move on Kevin, but she was so angry that Becca did that they lost their friendship?  That barely makes sense.  Someone please correct me if I am wrong.  

Also, I thought it was interesting that Becca finally left her husband for another man, not due to any specific issue he did.  I wonder what happened with Becca and Kevin's relationship.

I think that in the original timeline, Kevin didn't come to NY until later, so Lolly didn't see him.  I agree it's probably because of the REM concert, he came to NY sooner than he had originally. It seems like Lolly was with Becca's brother longer too. 

I thought it was interesting that Sean and her were married for 8  years before she left him, and it turns out to be her fault.  Even though they were fighting in 2003, it doesn't seem like it was the disaster she had implied when she went back to 1995 if she was married that long.  

I thought the use of music was terrific in this episode, not only for the 1995 scenes but definitely for the 2003-2004 scenes also. It really helps to set the tone if  you are familiar with the music. 

• Love 5

Watched this episode late last night/real early this morning. I'm wondering if Becca is on this journey to repair her relationship with Lolly and maybe she's meant to be with Kevin? It was shitty to do that to Lolly but maybe it's cause Laura Ramsey playing the part but I really felt Becca's gulit plus I got a whiff of the feelings for Kevin came back maybe? I was a little surprised that Becca was the cause of the very understandable fallout

Hey, Alexandra Chando now has work as Sean's new art gallery girlfriend! Her hair looked better in The Lying Game.

That was her? I miss The Lying Game

Ugh Becca is a really crappy friend. Why couldn't SHE say something to Kevin about Lolly's feelings? And if he want in to it, she could try to let her down easy and spare her friend's feelings. Not only that but this is the THIRD guy that she has staked her claim on, how many "soulmates" does one person get? And she is in her forties, she should have some kind of wisdom.

Also, I'm gonna need Lolly to stop dressing like Six from Blossom. I know that it was the style, but I just can't.

• Love 4

I agree with much of what everyone has said about Becca and Kevin and Lolly being furious when everything came out in 2003, but I don't think Becca is that horrible of a friend. I mean that I think they are equal opportunity selfish. If you look at what Lolly has done, she went behind Becca's back with her brother, even after Becca told her how badly it would go she still did it. Then she dumped him pretty quickly after going against Becca's wishes, but still has no problem bopping around Jamie's house on a holiday even though he's clearly still hung up on her. Also in this episode future Becca tells Kevin that every time she tries to talk to Lolly about her problems with Sean, Lolly's eyes glaze over. I get that sometimes it gets tedious when your friends talk about their problems a lot, but if your best friend wants to talk about serious life issues with you you should probably try to listen. So anyway, I'm just saying that I find them both to be equally crappy friends at times.

• Love 7

I REALLY like this show's concept, but I have to tell someone before I crack...I CAN'T STAND LOLLY'S SLACK JAW WAY OF SPEAKING.  Speaking that way does not make you seem young or carefree (i.e. trying to seem 20 years younger).  It seems like poor acting and an affectation.  Knock it off.  Thank you.  I feel better now.  Carry on.

• Love 4

But the thing with Kevin too, is that clearly he wasn't still a factor in her life later on, since she was about to marry someone else, so can't she sidestep this landmine?

I wish he was still a factor because I like him a whole lot more than Sean, and the nerdy but cute guy I can't remember the name of.

Anyone know how the ratings are for this? I seriously love this show, but rarely can I have nice things.

Edited by Jeebus Cripes
  • Love 2

Didn't Becca tell Sean that she had never cheated on him, when she first returned to 1995?

Yeah, but I'm pretty sure Becca was referring to BEFORE they got married. Why would she tell Sean she cheated on him when it hadn't happened yet? He'd want to know details and what would she say? "Oh, well eight years from now…"

I really like this show. I don't know that I would pick the 90s to re-do, but since I'm old now it totally fits my 20s timeline. I like the way the show feels a little like My So Called Life, if that makes sense.

Anywho, I like Kevin and Becca. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up not being The One either. I would totally understand Lolly's feelings (been there, done that), but she seems so one dimensional that I could see her rebounding quickly and no one gets Kevin because there's no chemistry between him and Lolly. AND you rarely ever end up with that unrequited love because it's always so much better if your head than in reality (at least in my case, I just had to have my heart broken right when Linger came out and listen to that cassette single for 24 hrs, no replay, just rewind). I HOPE they don't take the easy route and have Lolly rebound and that Lolly gets more depth and we have to see them deal with the triangle.

I like the mention earlier that it seems as though Becca is resolving all of her feelings/relationships, so I can forgive her going from guy to guy for this "time travel what am I meant do do with my life" type of story.

I also hope that we get to keep nice things and this show is doing okay in the ratings. I want to see everything play out.

• Love 2
(edited)

LOL at myself because I had this episode all wrong apparently. I thought Kevin and Lolly were actually together in the original timeline when Becca/Kevin started sleeping together. Which makes Becca like completely awful and why I absolutely hated her (and Kevin) in this ep when before I was not. Still, I think it was actually clear that, even if Lolly hadn't told Kevin she liked him (which is what everyone else here got), he obviously knew she did and Becca knew so they're both dicks IMO. I mean Kevin had to have known because otherwise I don't know why they'd be all "What about Lolly?!" about it.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 1
(edited)

I think that in the original timeline, Kevin didn't come to NY until later, so Lolly didn't see him.  I agree it's probably because of the REM concert, he came to NY sooner than he had originally. It seems like Lolly was with Becca's brother longer too. 

I thought it was interesting that Sean and her were married for 8  years before she left him, and it turns out to be her fault.  Even though they were fighting in 2003, it doesn't seem like it was the disaster she had implied when she went back to 1995 if she was married that long.  

I thought the use of music was terrific in this episode, not only for the 1995 scenes but definitely for the 2003-2004 scenes also. It really helps to set the tone if  you are familiar with the music. 

Thank you for this, it now makes perfect sense that he only entered the picture sooner because Lolly ran into him when she was back at home due to the REM concert. I'm going to try to rewatch this episode today or tomorrow, depending on my House of Cards binge goes.

The music was the best part of this episode for me, especially Linger - oh so many feelings come up with that song!

Also, I agree that maybe Becca was made to come back to fix things with Kevin.  It looks like Becca and Lolly were drifting apart to begin with (the eye rolling from Lolly when hearing her problems and Lolly basically acting like a 2nd grader afraid to tell Kevin her "feelings" when she's like 30 years old and obviously a knock-out (I could see being afraid to tell him her feelings if she weighed 600lbs and had a bad case of acne)).  I think Becca ended her relationship with Kevin to please Lolly and she ended up losing both of them anyway.  

Or maybe the reason why she went back was to have a second chance at fixing both of the relationships.  It's interesting to see which one she will choose, or how she manages to save them both.  Yes, I hope we can keep our nice things to see how this plays out because it just got good.  It was worth the wait!  LOL

Edited by notyrmomma
  • Love 2

Ugh Becca is a really crappy friend. Why couldn't SHE say something to Kevin about Lolly's feelings? And if he want in to it, she could try to let her down easy and spare her friend's feelings. Not only that but this is the THIRD guy that she has staked her claim on, how many "soulmates" does one person get? And she is in her forties, she should have some kind of wisdom.

This! Exactly what I was thinking during the episode. Becca supposedly had two hours to walk around NYC with Kevin minus Lolly and not once did she act as a good friend and throw a hint to Kevin that Lolly was interested in him. That was the perfect opportunity to nip the whole problem in the bud. If Kevin expresses interest in her instead, then she shuts it down fast. And if he knows how Lolly feels and still doesn't act on it, well then time to help Lolly move on but Kevin should still have been off limits to Becca. 

Agree 100% that Becca lacks the wisdom of a 40 something. I swear this show is written by 20 somethings.  It makes no sense that Becca is in love with all these men at the same time. First Andy who she was desperately examining their kiss for a spark; then last week she claimed to still be in love with Sean; now this week she's over Sean and stuck on Kevin via memories of the future-past. Becca is a hot mess, but some of her actions make little sense. Most people don't look back on all their past relationships like she does. In fact, knowing how things turn out generally change people's perspective and alter feelings/emotions-- i.e. You might be in love with someone when you are 25 but if the relationship fails, when you look back on it at 40, you don't feel the same way about that person.  

I also think Becca keeps coming across worse and worse each week. Her whole affair with Kevin was totally uncool.  I'm now convinced Sean dodged a bullet by being dumped at the alter this time around. It's clear all the poor guy needs is a break in his career, but Becca is still to self-absorbed to use any knowledge or future connections she might have to help him. Instead she's treading on falling into the same mess that ended her marriage and her friendship the first time around. 

The plus to this episode: No Andy and Melanie. 

• Love 3

So surprised at what a tool Sean was this week. And he seemed not to realize why Paige was miffed at him, after he hit on her early in the episode, then started hitting on someone else. He didn't know what assholish behavior that was? Surprising, since he's been presented as a basically nice guy up until now.

I'm really enjoying this show for the most part, though, and one of the reasons why is that it's totally devoid of children. So nice to have a show that's all about adults. Kudos to Becca and Sean for not having any kids, because if they had, at least half the plotlines would be about how those stupid kids turned out, and I couldn't care less.

• Love 1
(edited)
Lolly hosts a party in a bid to get over Kevin.

More like Becca was the host, but whatever. I really liked this episode, probably because Becca was more of a supporting role.

I'm not really a fan of Sean, but I like Paige, so I hope he's not a complete douche to her from here on out.

I'm liking the magazine stuff. Was it a giveaway, or is it for sale? The newsstand didn't have anymore issues, but then we see Lolly take an issue from a pile that looked like it was on a box or something. At any rate, I'd like that aspect of Becca's life to work out. And LOL at her co-workers' kiss. 

"Lightning Crashes" gave me secondhand embarrassment, as I was all over that song when it first came out. Oh, the shame.

I hate myself for liking Kevin and Becca, but there it is. The actors are really appealing.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 2

Another good episode, though Sean is starting to annoy me. He began as a basically nice guy, but I hate the way he's treating Paige. They've barely gotten together, and already he's stringing her along while he keeps his options open. Tool.

Having a problem warming up to Kevin. Not sure why.

What's the deal with Jamie? Do I have it right that he bucked the old timeline by returning from the Dominican Republic quickly? But it appears he hasn't avoided trouble.

"Lightning Crashes" gave me secondhand embarrassment, as I was all over that song when it first came out. Oh, the shame.

You're not alone, it was a big hit. Live was even on Saturday Night Live. I remember the show, David Hyde Pierce hosted. I'll be quiet now...

• Love 6

Thank you for this, it now makes perfect sense that he only entered the picture sooner because Lolly ran into him when she was back at home due to the REM concert. I'm going to try to rewatch this episode today or tomorrow, depending on my House of Cards binge goes.

The music was the best part of this episode for me, especially Linger - oh so many feelings come up with that song!

Also, I agree that maybe Becca was made to come back to fix things with Kevin.  It looks like Becca and Lolly were drifting apart to begin with (the eye rolling from Lolly when hearing her problems and Lolly basically acting like a 2nd grader afraid to tell Kevin her "feelings" when she's like 30 years old and obviously a knock-out (I could see being afraid to tell him her feelings if she weighed 600lbs and had a bad case of acne)).  I think Becca ended her relationship with Kevin to please Lolly and she ended up losing both of them anyway.  

Or maybe the reason why she went back was to have a second chance at fixing both of the relationships.  It's interesting to see which one she will choose, or how she manages to save them both.  Yes, I hope we can keep our nice things to see how this plays out because it just got good.  It was worth the wait!  LOL

See thats what I'm thinking she's back in 1995 to fix things with Lolly and Kevin

So in the original timeline, as we suspected, Becca broke it off with Kevin due to the fallout with Lolly but still ended up losing both.  It'll be interesting to see how Becca proceeds from here.  It'll probably still end in tears of course.

Ugh, that Live song...that's one I can continue to forget about.  I never liked it.  If they are playing some semi-obscure 90's, I wonder if they'll play any School of Fish.

• Love 2

So Sean is turning into a bigger ass, but it's strange up to this episode, I've never really felt up to his character.  Even though he got left at the altar, I just didn't ever see him as a nice good guy, maybe perhaps, I'm liking Paige a lot and he was treating her like crap. 

And I really like Becca and Kevin as a couple, they look cute together.  The actress playing Lolly is one hell of an actress, pulling off that annoying character must be some damn achievement.  But I do feel bad for Lolly, but she's full of bad mistakes, and Becca is heading into one that she already made once.  You would think that since you know how the last time turn out, you would try a whole lot harder to avoid the repeat that would just end up just as bad. 

I kind of love all the 90's songs, and even though I like Becca and Kevin as a couple, I'm still holding out hope that Andy can make a comeback, because he was cute with a nice body too.

• Love 1

I love this show, if only for reminding me about Frente's "Labour of Love" I swear I squealed like my 16 year old self hearing that song playing in the background. 

They got me at Skee-lo during the party scene.  I still listen to "I wish" on an alarmingly regular basis.

• Love 1

I'm becoming increasingly annoyed by this show and that makes me so sad. Although, let's face it, it's probably getting cancelled so I guess I'm kinda glad I don't love it like I did at first.

All the characters are so unlikable right now. And for no real reason. I feel like the writers didn't really have a plan beyond the premise.

• Love 3

I'm still liking it, but one thing seems off to me is Becca's lack of maturity.  At 20 years older, she shouldn't fall for Kevin again.  But, I'll give it a chance and see if they go that route.

• Love 2

At least we now know why Lolly and Kevin didn't get together, if he thought of her as a sister he probably did in the original timeline.   It is like things are happening with Kevin sooner than in the original timeline. 

I hope if the show isn't renewed we get to see how it ends.  

• Love 1

I know why I can’t get on board with him (aside from the obvious that he’d have an affair with a married woman and break up a long time friendship)….I can’t get past seeing him as the creepy coffee shop dude from Pretty Little Liars.

and Becca is heading into one that she already made once.  You would think that since you know how the last time turn out, you would try a whole lot harder to avoid the repeat that would just end up just as bad.

This is my problem with Becca’s character.  She should have more wisdom being that it is her 40-something self not her 20-something self doing this, but she doesn’t.  She makes decisions like she would at 20 and so it keeps feeing like a characterization flaw on the part of the writers for me.

I'm becoming increasingly annoyed by this show and that makes me so sad.

Agree. It has a great premise and soundtrack but the writing and characterization feels very immature. Every week we see a group of 20-something singles ping-pong back and forth between each other.  Becca’s has bounced around from Sean to Andy to Sean to Kevin. Sean has bounced from Becca to Paige to Becca to Paige to Noelle to Paige to Noelle. Lolly isn’t much better with Becca’s brother either.  It would help if the actors had some chemistry together but I’m not really feeling it with most of them. Now next week Andy and Melanie look to be back so Becca will probably be torn between him and Kevin.

• Love 3

I know why I can’t get on board with him (aside from the obvious that he’d have an affair with a married woman and break up a long time friendship)….I can’t get past seeing him as the creepy coffee shop dude from Pretty Little Liars.

That's all I think about whenever he's on screen.

• Love 1

Another good episode, though Sean is starting to annoy me. He began as a basically nice guy, but I hate the way he's treating Paige. They've barely gotten together, and already he's stringing her along while he keeps his options open. Tool.

What's the deal with Jamie? Do I have it right that he bucked the old timeline by returning from the Dominican Republic quickly? But it appears he hasn't avoided trouble.

You're not alone, it was a big hit. Live was even on Saturday Night Live. I remember the show, David Hyde Pierce hosted. I'll be quiet now...

There is never a need to be quiet when talking about good ol' DHP!

• Love 1

Lightning Crashes" gave me secondhand embarrassment, as I was all over that song when it first came out. Oh, the shame.

You're not alone. I ate up that self-serious earnestness with a spoon. The amount of grassroots charity organizations that I made contributions to just because Michael Stipe told me to is a little horrifying in retrospect.

• Love 1

Sean bugs me and feels completely extraneous at this point. On a shallow note, I can't stand his stringy hair. He and the annoying, whiny "art critic" can be gone.

and his tiny head.  

• Love 1

I love this show, if only for reminding me about Frente's "Labour of Love" I swear I squealed like my 16 year old self hearing that song playing in the background. 

I'm not at all ashamed to admit that I didn't have to be reminded because I have always had that song on my iPhone along with Frente's cover of Bizarre Love Triangle. An intern made fun of my music the other week saying "All of this stuff is so old!" - yes, but it's so so good!  Frente!  Everyone should still be listening to Marvin the Album!

A shocked Lolly witnesses Becca sharing a kiss with Kevin. Meanwhile, Sean showcases his work at an art show and hopes Paige will be his date, and Becca and Lolly experience a pivotal moment at a New Year's Eve bash.

I hate myself for liking Kevin and Becca, but there it is. The actors are really appealing.

Kevin continues to remind me of a young(er) Christian Bale, in a good way. He and Becca have chemistry. 

Sean reminds me of Courtney Taylor-Taylor of The Dandy Warhols, which made me like him even though I didn't want to. He lost me when he dumped Paige to sleep with art critic girl, who seems to be a poor little rich girl with daddy issues and no redeeming qualities. UGH. 

Are we supposed to end up rooting for Becca and Andy to happen?

Edited by RedHawk

Maybe the reason that they have Sean acting the way he has been the past couple of shows is to show why Becca didn't want to marry him the second time around.  Though they were married for several years, it does seem Becca wasn't happy. If he's a jerk in the second timeline, it's likely he wasn't much better in the original timeline. 

• Love 2