Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E11: The Day We Almost Died

While driving out to get breakfast, the Dunphys plus Manny have a near death experience causing everyone to reevaluate their lives. Claire resolves to be more fun and less uptight, Haley and Alex agree not to fight anymore, Manny refuses to ever ride in a car again, Luke wants to check off his bucket list, Phil decides to be a take action type of guy, and the rest of the family has to bear the brunt of all the new attitudes.

Just the other day on my 7/7:30 reruns, there was the episode when a driver cut Clare off at an intersection, she stopped short, and she happened to knock down Phil while he was walking with his ski pole things.  Then there was the other episode with Jami Gertz as the speeding neighbor who nearly caused accidents.  Recycled theme, I guess.  

With Manny's usual adult-like ways, I was surprised to see that the writers made him fear driving.  He's usually confident about things, so it was odd for him to be gasping for his Mama behind the wheel.  I did laugh when he ran Mitchell off the road, though.  

I enjoyed this cheese:

{Hall & Oates playing on the radio} Haley: Can you please turn down that song?

Phil: No can do.  (And then again with Phil and Cameron being tough at the appliance store.)

A joke about terrorists and another about satirical cartoons....that's an eery coincidence today.  :(

And it's okay, Cam....Phil is kinda sexy. 

• Love 1

I loved this episode. I laughed throughout. I knew that Hayley was not talking about Alex. Alex with the pink waxed lip and high heels shoes flipping Hayley was so funny. I was cheering for Phil as he took on his nemesis and demanded Cam's eggshell dryer. Of course, he had to go to far and get the alpaca. Cam noticing that Phil was sexy was a great moment. Cam's reaction to the alpaca in the car was great.Too bad for him, Mitchell was crazy. 

Claire over-bonding with poor Mitchell was fun also. He was right that even when she is letting go, she is controlling. At least, it helped him find a backbone.

Jay, Gloria, and Manny were so funny and sweet. I knew that Gloria was lying about seeing the thief. Too funny that it was Mitchell that he ran off the road. Jay walking at the end was hilarious. They are such a great little family.

• Love 4

I liked this one. The show is at its best when it's ambitious.

There's something unsettling about Cameron suddenly lusting after Phil, though. It would be nice if we'd ever seen him hot and bothered like that over, I don't know, his husband?

• Love 1

There's something unsettling about Cameron suddenly lusting after Phil, though. It would be nice if we'd ever seen him hot and bothered like that over, I don't know, his husband?

He was -- at the end.

I wish there had been some follow-up to the Haley/Alex thing.  Had I been the writer, I'd have had Alex outright blast Haley for putting her stupid phone, a material possession, over her own sister.

• Love 1

I didn't laugh once : (

I didn't either, but honestly, I think it was because I just don't like anyone that much anymore.

I still like Alex OK, but she's always the butt of cheap jokes about how unattractive and unpopular she is, which are just not working.

And everyone's reaction (except Alex's, maybe) seemed to boil down to, "I almost died, I should be even more self-centered now!"

Phil might have been more fun, but he was paired with Cam and his "rival" neither of which work for me anymore. Would season 1 Cam have been happy to be called "princess"? 

Edited by Latverian Diplomat
  • Love 2

I liked that Phil threatened the realtor if he ever made another derogatory comment about Claire.  The house selling couple probably felt disgust for their agent at that point.  Too bad they probably are already trapped in an exclusive representation deal with that realtor (for a certain period of time). 

Edited by Beach Party
  • Love 4

My favorite parts were Phil standing up to his rival realtor then taking Cam to the appliance store.  It's about time he stood up to Rob Riggle's character.  I cannot stand this character and it's mainly because I do not find Rob Riggle funny at all.  He's not funny on this show and he's not funny on the Fox NFL pre game show either.  Also Gloria getting Manny to drive.  If anyone could get him to drive and overcome his fear it would be his momma. 

• Love 2

This episode was okay, not the best and not the worst. But I have been feeling that way about this entire season. Liked a few lines I also did not find too many moments that made me laugh. Sad I used to be a lot more excited to see this show. Not sure if it's my taste changing or the evolution of the characters.

• Love 2

I wasn't all that impressed with this.  Its like the writers thought they had this great idea for an epic, funny show and then fell well short.

It had its moments.  Still seemed disjointed however and the storylines for the most part I did not find funny. 

And it does seem like a theme they have tried before.  I know they have done the Claire/Phil switching roles theme a few times before at least. 

So Claire just didn't work that day when earlier she said she had a full schedule?  It is nice to work for your dad. 

I thought this was a pretty great ep. The only thing that really bugged me at first was when Claire dragged Mitchell away from work. Oh, and the satirical cartoon comment was eerie.

But following everyone's story after the near-accident was a lot of fun. Seeing the moment from everyone's perspective was cool and interesting. The original occurrence with everyone being loud in the car and then the swerving was well done and funny. When Phil said the part of the song, "No can do," it appeared he was just singing along, and I thought it was funny amidst all the noise, but to find out he was actually responding to Haley was great.

I liked all the story lines, but I think my favorite was Phil's because it was wonderful seeing him stand up to Gil and then to Rob the appliance guy, and even to Claire. 

Lots of lines were great, as usual. I loved the way Phil said, "Something hit me this morning, when that truck didn't hit me this morning…"

I found the ep clever and well-executed and funny.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 6

I really enjoyed the episode and when Alex flipped Haley because she really deserved that. I do wish they get over the "Alex is not attractive" crap. Its like beating up on Meg all the time on Family Guy or Lisa is too nerdy on the Simpsons. No one finds it remotely funny anymore. Its just people have been writing the shtick so long they just keep doing it and don't think it through. So glad Phil let his rival have it, anyone would have made a comment about my wife like that, especially several times the last couple of seasons, he be in a wheel chair. 

• Love 4

My favorite bit was Phil sexily pouring water on his head to "Sunrise" and Cam practically fanning himself. And I mean after seasons of Phil lusting after Gloria and Manny lusting after Haley, some vaguely inappropriate not-really-incest is par for the course.

I'd forgotten that Mitch rollerskated back home so it was hilarious to see him in the background of the rest of the scenes. That's how you do good subtle callbacks, show!

• Love 4

I guess all I saw was a group of pretentious snobs!! that happened to have a spin out and turn that into a  national disaster. Seems about right. 

Edited by redlaces
Please edit & use a better word.
  • Love 1

I just couldn't stand Clair and her control issues.  Her character seems to have gotten more and more shrill as time has gone on.  I was so disappointed in Cam (well, I pretty much always am).  After Phil got the right dryer for Cam and just wanted him to hold the rope of the alpaca, Cam decided he had had enough.  What happened to growing up on a farm?  What happened to doing a favor for Phil after Phil did a favor for him?  Cam just really is too much these last few seasons.

No worries, I did like some of the stories-even though I knew that Haley was concerned about her phone and not Alex, I still liked their story.  Also, this was the most I've liked Phil in quite a while.  His whole calm but determined manner was impressive.  And, yes, he did look hot...

• Love 1

Cam and just wanted him to hold the rope of the alpaca, Cam decided he had had enough. What happened to growing up on a farm? What happened to doing a favor for Phil after Phil did a favor for him? Cam just really is too much these last few seasons.

I took Cam's reticence just as he stated that while he was all for farm animals in the home he believed that Phil wasn't thinking this through and remembering everyone's (Claire mostly but no one seemed it was a good idea) objection to Jolene the First.

Edited by biakbiak

I feel like a broken record (there's a simile that's pretty much obsolete in these days of downloaded music) because I made a similar post in another forum, but how many times in movies and television have we seen an event take place and then repeated showing its consequences on/from the perception of each person involved?

I guess this was supposed to be the Modern Family take on it, and (depending on how you feel about the characters) it was an okay iteration, but I didn't find it particularly creative.  I pretty much like everyone on the show, though, so I'm easy.

Semi-related: I was surfing the Interwebs while I was watching this ep and I read that Gloria and Alcide are engaged.  I may have that confused somehow, but anyway, congratulations, you crazy kids.

Edited by Lone Wolf

Where did you get that Mitchell was working for Jay? 

BTW, bichonblitz, I'm intrigued by your username. I had a bichon (dearly departed), and my sister has one now (after her previous one passed).

Where did you get that Mitchell was working for Jay? 

BTW, bichonblitz, I'm intrigued by your username. I had a bichon (dearly departed), and my sister has one now (after her previous one passed).

Peeayebee,

I thought I heard Claire mention it when she was trying to convince him it was ok to just leave the office when he was working. 

** I recently adopted a 2 yr. old Bichon and am totally in love with him!! I always heard they were fun dogs, this one is so full of personality, I just cant imagine why anyone would give him up! 

Edited by bichonblitz

Peeayebee,

I thought I heard Claire mention it when she was trying to convince him it was ok to just leave the office when he was working. 

** I recently adopted a 2 yr. old Bichon and am totally in love with him!! I always heard they were fun dogs, this one is so full of personality, I just cant imagine why anyone would give him up! 

He doesn't work for Jay... When Claire was talking about him taking the day off work, like she was... he said something along the lines of "that's because you work for your dad" or "we don't all work for our dad"  explaining why he couldn't just blow off all of his meetings and work the way she could.

Edited by Jjrmt
  • Love 1

He doesn't work for Jay... When Claire was talking about him taking the day off work, like she was... he said something along the lines of "that's because you work for your dad" or "we don't all work for our dad"  explaining why he couldn't just blow off all of his meetings and work the way she could.

Thanks for clearing that up. I was definitely confused because he ended up doing exactly that...blowing off the meetings and work

I feel like a broken record (there's a simile that's pretty much obsolete in these days of downloaded music) because I made a similar post in another forum, but how many times in movies and television have we seen an event take place and then repeated showing its consequences on/from the perception of each person involved?

I guess this was supposed to be the Modern Family take on it, and (depending on how you feel about the characters) it was an okay iteration, but I didn't find it particularly creative. I pretty much like everyone on the show, though, so I'm easy.

Semi-related: I was surfing the Interwebs while I was watching this ep and I read that Gloria and Alcide are engaged. I may have that confused somehow, but anyway, congratulations, you crazy kids.

When has this been done before? Specific examples I can think of, just to prove your point of how often it has been done :

In movies, pretty much every film Tarantino has ever made, for starters. On TV, many episodes of How I Met Your mother, throughout the series, its one of the storytelling devices those writers did best. Sometimes over multiple episodes.

Oh and the entire 4th season of Arrested Development, it was the whole idea behind bringing it back on Netflix.

I agree, in my opinion it wasn't that great of a version of this frequently used idea. If you are going to use this pretty used up idea, you need to have a better version that this.

Edited by DrSpaceman