Type keyword(s) to search

The Challenges, the Good, the Bad, the Ugly: What would you like to see?

Lillybee
  • Start Topic

I think that the most fun thing about Top Chefs is the challenges. Some good and some not so good.

One of the best is the mis-en-place races, and the ugliest was that vending machine challenge that was just dreadful.

My least favorite challenges are the ones that force them to make a style of food they don't normally make, followed closely by sleep deprivation challenges, and then overly complicated working conditions.

So.... Texas chili challenge comes to mind.

This show has lightened up a bit in the last couple seasons on the idiotic stuff. I think the worst challenges were in All-Stars and Season 9. This Boston season has given them challenges that make pretty thin connections to the city, but the chefs usually can make whatever the hell they want and then just make an equally thin connection back to the "story".  And I'm okay with that.

First season of Top Chef: Masters when the contestants had to cook an appetizer using only items found at a gas station/Kwiki-Mart.

The challenge was a good variant on the "supermarket aisle" challenge (which I also enjoyed).  But what made me chuckle was a line from one of the chefs while they are milling about in the Kwiki-Mart -- "I'm thinking of making a catfood tartare"

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

In the worst category, I'm going to include all three challenges from episode 15 in season 9. Descriptions from Wikipedia.

Challenge 1: Each chef must create a dish using equipment and ingredients found in a gondola lift vehicle while it is in motion. When the gondola reaches the next station, each chef must briefly exit and choose one from an assortment of ingredients laid out for them, which must then be incorporated into the final dish. The chef will need to complete the dish by the time the gondola finishes its return trip.

Challenge 2: The chefs have an hour to break out ingredients that have been frozen in ice blocks and make a dish out of them while outdoors in frigid weather.

Challenge 3: Beverly and Sarah must take part in a biathlon competition to collect ingredients. After skiing back and forth on a cross country course, they must use a rifle to shoot at targets representing one of a variety of ingredients. Each chef is allowed to use the ingredient represented by any target she hits, but is also limited to ten shots total, hit or miss. Once the ingredients are determined, the chefs have 20 minutes to make a dish incorporating them.

To me, this episode represents the lowest point of all the Top Chef shows.

Edited by GaT
  • Love 12

In the worst category, I'm going to include all three challenges from episode 15 in season 9. Descriptions from Wilipedia.

Yep. As I noted above, I thought the All-Stars season and Season 9 was when Top Chef had far too many badly designed challenges.

And since it was mentioned above, Masters season 1 had great challenges and then season 2 was just awful. For whatever reason since then, the people who make that show are under the impression that we want to see the Masters have no chance to make great food.

I personally think that Masters can have vending machine challenges for the quick fires and then make something great for elimination challenges.  That way I don't have to see James making stink-faces because the Masters somehow weren't able to make fabulous food while cooking in the back of an RV using only plastic spoons and rice cakes.

• Love 2

I enjoyed last night's challenge so much I was thinking of other types of good challenges, so I thought of these:

Elimination:

1. Doing a set of roulette wheels like they do on Guy's Grocery Games, but with better options.  One wheel would be a protein wheel (including a vegetarian option), another wheel could be a herb/spice wheel - maybe they would have to spin twice to get a flavor combo, then a third wheel could be a side dish.  There could be some weird options up there, too, like geoduck, etc.

2. All the chefs have to create their dishes using utensils, stoves and ovens from the 1930s (some earlier time period) - or they could not use electric utensils, etc.  Then they would have to update a popular dish from that time period.  This is similar in concept to this season's Thanksgiving challenge but there wouldn't be a connection to a holiday or some other event or theme.

Quickfire:

A sponsor challenge: use a new piece of cooking equipment to create something. This equipment is just new to the market.  (Bravo gets sponsor dollars and sponsor gets a long commercial/demo on the product).  Another interesting challenge would be having the chefs test cooking utensils/equipment that are in the patent process and not in the marketplace.

My favorites include:

-Season 1 Sandwich Quickfire

-All Thanksgiving challenges 

-All Stars Cookie Challenge (What can I say, I fucking love the Muppets)

-All challenges with/for kids-I especially loved Season 4 when the chefs cooked WITH the kids.  And a lot of the kids challenges have to do with making lighter and healthier versions of popular dishes, which I think is a very good challenge for all chefs

-Any challenge where they have to reimagine classic dishes

-This season's Cheers bar snacks challenge-perfect blend of location and challenge parameters

-I, too, love the culinary races.  I have them with myself when I'm cracking eggs for a crowd, lol.

-New Orleans had loads of great challenges because it's such a great food city

-The only good challenge in the Texas season is one of my favorites-the Snow White/Wicked Queen challenge.  Awesome.

Least favorites are the ones that have the chefs in a challenge with tight parameters AND terrible cooking conditions.  Like if you're going to make the chefs cook outside in the elements, let them have free reign over their ingredients, etc, or vice versa.  But both is a terrible combination.  PeeWee's bike is a good example of this.

I'd like a challenge that features cheese.  There hasn't been one, right?  Like each chef has to make an entire meal with cheese in every course.  

I'd love a tuna challenge where the chefs aren't allowed to make tartare.  Or a beef challenge where they can't make carpaccio.  

Now that this season is winding down and I have personally found it rather predictable and boring, here are my suggestions:

1) Do away with Last Chance Kitchen. With Tom as the only judge, it's bogus in my book. Bringing back George who'd basically been sitting on his laurels for 8 weeks was bogus, too.

2) Blind tastings for the elimination challenges. You can't do it with Quickfires, but it shouldn't be that hard to do with the dinner services. I notice they make a point of always knowing who cooked what. The Taste has shown me that the very best chefs DO win once you have blind tastings. Not someone who cruised through and barely scraped by only to have a couple of good meals at the end.

3) Revamp Restaurant Wars. I'm not sure the best way to accomplish this, but it's to the point you know what's ahead and as the people are eliminated down to 8, it's a given. Maybe if that was blind also, and the judges not knowing which team had which restaurant, it would at least make it interesting.

4) When they have those challenges that involve diner commentary cards, USE them to pick the best food. I'd like to see them using outside people more often besides the same old judges every season. 

5) Limit immunity. I'm tired of seeing someone make a salad when they have immunity. It didn't happen as much this season, but it happens. I'd rather see them offered the choice of immunity or a cash prize each week. 

As for food challenges, instead of a mad scramble to pick a protein, let everyone draw knives each week. That will show which chefs are truly versatile and talented.

• Love 4
3) Revamp Restaurant Wars. I'm not sure the best way to accomplish this, but it's to the point you know what's ahead and as the people are eliminated down to 8, it's a given. Maybe if that was blind also, and the judges not knowing which team had which restaurant, it would at least make it interesting.

I'd be down with them taking out the front of house part of the challenge altogether, and have the four chefs on each side only prepare the dishes, which will then be served by whatever group of waiter surrogates with union cards Central Casting sends along.  I don't tune in to see chefs in an uncomfortable position not suited to their abilities or profession.

Edited by Totale
  • Love 8

Now that this season is winding down and I have personally found it rather predictable and boring, here are my suggestions:

1) Do away with Last Chance Kitchen. With Tom as the only judge, it's bogus in my book. Bringing back George who'd basically been sitting on his laurels for 8 weeks was bogus, too.

2) Blind tastings for the elimination challenges. You can't do it with Quickfires, but it shouldn't be that hard to do with the dinner services. I notice they make a point of always knowing who cooked what. The Taste has shown me that the very best chefs DO win once you have blind tastings. Not someone who cruised through and barely scraped by only to have a couple of good meals at the end.

4) When they have those challenges that involve diner commentary cards, USE them to pick the best food. I'd like to see them using outside people more often besides the same old judges every season. 

5) Limit immunity. I'm tired of seeing someone make a salad when they have immunity. It didn't happen as much this season, but it happens. I'd rather see them offered the choice of immunity or a cash prize each week. 

As for food challenges, instead of a mad scramble to pick a protein, let everyone draw knives each week. That will show which chefs are truly versatile and talented.

Great list. I felt that George was taken out unfairly in the first episode. As he returned due to a unanimous (?) vote of the other eliminated chefs, they evidently agreed that he was taken out unfairly in the first episode. So I don't have a problem with him coming back.

I do think there needs to be a tweaked LCK. One of the themes in Cooks' list is blind tastings. Maybe have a different person or group blind-taste the LCK contestants' food each week. Or something like that. I like that LCK exists, but I agree that it's problematic. Maybe they should be cooking for an opportunity to return in another season. If they don't want to return, they can nominate an eliminated chef to cook in their place or take their win, etc., etc. There are lots of things that could be done with LCK to improve it without ditching it altogether.

And more drawing of knives instead of mad scrambles! Yes!

Less immunity would be welcome - it should never be a factor in team challenges. Maybe have the contestant with immunity be one of the tasters (not a final judge), but only if there are blind tastings.

• Love 2

What a fun thread!  I agree with many of the ideas here.  Mise-en-place challenges are my favorite as long as they don't eliminate anyone. Hate the challenges where the contestants are sleep-deprived. Wish they would do away with FOH in restaurant wars. 

I would do away with LCK, but I do understand the idea behind giving contestants another chance. Some eliminations are "unfair" because the challenge designs put certain people at a major disadvantage. Maybe they could change the elimination format. Instead of eliminating one contestant outright, they could have the bottom 2 or 3 participate in a cook-off. Sort of like what they did in The Next Iron Chef (I think...I only watched a season or two).  This would allow the show to go back to more restrictive or more gimmicky challenges (which can be very entertaining) but would mitigate the "unfairness" aspect of eliminations.  Maybe some contestants will take more risks when they know that a single mistake won't send them home.  

I wish they would change up the judging panel. Tastes are subjective, and having the outcomes more or less dependent on Tom's palate and preferences is getting boring.  Or maybe change the scoring format. Was it Top Chef Masters when each judge had an equal voice in the scoring?  Sort of like the Olympics, where every judge scores each contestant and the cumulative scores determine the winners and losers. Transparency in voting would be good to see.

I agree with the idea of blind tastings. I think the judges will eventually learn how certain contestants cook so it becomes moot at some point.  But it can't hurt to try.

Edited by Noreaster
  • Love 2

I wish they'd keep everyone available for either the win or loss in Restaurant Wars.  I still remember how pissed I was in season 5 when Leah managed to avoid elimination simply because her team won the challenge.  I don't remember if the judges came out and said that she'd have gone home if her team lost but they made it very clear that her dish was the worst of all of them yet she stayed in because of a technicality.  I think they need to keep it simple with RW (and all team challenges that fall under similar criteria): there will be a winning team but that doesn't guarantee that the winning dish will be from that team, nor does it provide a cushion from elimination. 

• Love 1

In the worst category, I'm going to include all three challenges from episode 15 in season 9.

Agreed! Plus, I'll add the (I think it was a) QF where everything in the damn kitchen was wrapped in aluminum foil. What a waste of foil and someone's time to wrap pots, pans, utensils and the food items.

One of the best is the mis-en-place races

Definitely my #1 fav.

• Love 2

Have at least one guest judge per episode who is a well-respected chef or restaurant critic or other profession in the industry and that judge's vote has more weight than the recurring judges.  Maybe that judge's vote would equal three times someone else's vote.  So if blind judging isn't used, at least there is a judge who probably doesn't have recent experience with the contestants' food and doesn't know what is typical or how well that contestant's been doing.  A non-food professional judge, like an actor or singer, would not get a weighted vote.

I don't think any contestant should be brought back unless another contestant had to quit.

I wish they'd keep everyone available for either the win or loss in Restaurant Wars.  I still remember how pissed I was in season 5 when Leah managed to avoid elimination simply because her team won the challenge.  I don't remember if the judges came out and said that she'd have gone home if her team lost but they made it very clear that her dish was the worst of all of them yet she stayed in because of a technicality.  I think they need to keep it simple with RW (and all team challenges that fall under similar criteria): there will be a winning team but that doesn't guarantee that the winning dish will be from that team, nor does it provide a cushion from elimination. 

I don't know.  That defeats the purpose of "team" in Restaurant Wars or really any other team challenge.  The point is for everyone to work in the best interests of the team and perhaps take on roles that they might not prefer just to help the team win.  Otherwise, each contestant would just look out for himself or herself.  I know that happens sometimes anyway, but the spirit of the challenge is to have everyone work together.  

Even though the Restaurant Wars design has flaws, I love this challenge because it helps highlight the leadership qualities of certain contestants.  This is usually when favorites emerge for me.  Well, at least in the earlier seasons, not so much recently.  

• Love 1

Rewatching the DC season today reminds me of a very good challenge.... take a classic dish and disguise it, as they did for the CIA dinner. That's hard to do when you think about it. The dish had to taste the same as the original, but couldn't look like the original.

What ever happened to the Quickfire where they go head-to-head with another contestant and have to taste and name the ingredients in a mystery sauce (or whatever)?  I loved that one.  I also love the mise-en-place challenge.

It's fun to see cooking-related challenges that don't actually involve cooking.

eta:  I so much prefer those to the "cook in a moving RV or a dorm bathroom using only ingredients found in a vending machine" challenges.  Gah!

Edited by Special K
  • Love 4

Add my votes to hating the foil challenge, which I agree was such a waste of materials, and the nonsense gondola episode.

I like when they get unprepped materials like an entire fish, and have to work with that.  Show their complete skill set.  I do wish they drew knives more often to determine things like protein.   I don't mind one challenge a season of "cook in a moving train" or whatever as long as it's just once.  I feel like lately they've been hitting City Theme more than Creative Challenges, and I miss some of the odd challenges.

• Love 1

Less immunity would be welcome - it should never be a factor in team challenges. Maybe have the contestant with immunity be one of the tasters (not a final judge), but only if there are blind tastings.

I think no immunity at stake on team challenges should absolutely be the rule.  It has led to some ridiculous outcomes. Or it should be revokable if the contestant just coasts, the way a plea deal can be revoked if the full truth isn't told.  

• Love 1

Blind tastings for LCK with three different judges every time.  No actors!

Or at the very least make Tom go somewhere else after he presents the challenge and stay away while they're cooking so that he doesn't know for sure who cooked what.  

• Love 1

I just posted this in the Masterchef (UK) thread and thought I'd add it here.

++++++++++++++++++++

Watching the final 4 contestants (2012 season) and thinking how Top Chef should take a leaf out of MC's book.  The chefs are told No Meat (in broad sense that means no fish etc) but here's a huge selection of vegetables, fruits, grains, dairy.  You have 2 hours to produce 2 dishes.

And the dishes they produced show exactly how you can produce beautiful tasty food without using Meat.  I'm not a full-on vegetarian, but I do not need meat every day to feel satisfied (I can go weeks without actually) and it frustrates the heck out of me when I see professional chefs/cooks lose their creativity when it comes to producing vegetarian options.

Edited by DHDancer
  • Love 2

DHDancer, I wish I could like your post a million times!  That is my biggest issue with eating in restaurants (aside from the excessive salt).  I was at a restaurant with my BFF on Sunday and I had to order off the brunch menu because literally every single dish offered contained meat.  Even the salads!  Even the waffles I ordered came with a choice of bacon or sausage and I had to insist, several times, that I did not want them, no, seriously, I would offer them to the surrounding tables if she brought them to me.  She just couldn't fathom that someone would order something and not want the meat. Admittedly, some of this is due to living in the South, where vegetarians are considered enemies of the state, and the Chinese, Japanese, Thai and Indian restaurants (aka, the only places with true vegetarian options including tofu) aren't close to where I live, but come on.

I would love to see several challenges each season where meat was not allowed.  I know the chefs would throw fits at first but the contenders would quickly realize the wealth of possibilities in front of them and embrace it.  I would love to see what new ideas great chefs could come up with when not allowed to cook with meat. 

They could even to that thing where they ask the chefs to reimagine existing dishes, only this time they must take out the meat component.  Obviously, they wouldn't be asked to reimagine steak without the steak, but I'm talking about things like chicken fried tofu.  Take something that people recognize would have meat and rework it so that it still tastes great without the animal. 

I don't think they should go the other way, though, as I still cringe at that All Stars challenge where Jen and her whole team imploded when they weren't allowed to use anything but animal products for their dishes (save salt, pepper and oil) while the other team just walloped them with their vegetarian dishes.

• Love 3

They've had a few vegan/vegetarian/healthful food challenges and the amount of whining and complaining was epic. Therefore they should do something along those lines every season to really throw weaker chefs out of their comfort zone.  I'd rather see well-constructed challenges based around the food than that weird (all-star?) relay race where Jamie didn't even have to serve her crappy dish and someone else got eliminated. 

I totally agree with all of this. I hated when I was really into a season and suddenly this chef comes back from the dead due to LCK and knocked out my favorite only to get knocked out themselves the following week. 

I also want blind tastes. That's the only way to guarantee fairness.

• Love 1

One thing I noticed about this season is that it seemed a lot of chefs chose to create vegetarian dishes when they didn't have to. One example is Doug's carrot soup, but others have, too. But I think a meatless challenge is a great idea. An added twist would be the dish had to contain a minimum number grams of protein, like 8, so the chefs would have to do some calculation.

One thing I never understand when they have a vegetarian challenge or healthy challenge is all the whining from the Italian/French trained chefs. It's just weird to me because one thing the French, Albanian and Italian immigrants i've met over in the US have commented on is how little people eat vegetables compared to in their home country

A lot of good suggestions here.  I would like to see a return to having the competition where it was originally held, I assume LA.  Then travel to another location for finale.  I don't like the restriction of local fare.  I want to see what each contestant brings to the table from his or her own repertoire and skill.  

If another judge did LCK I would still think he or she would be in the loop and know who Tom prefers to win.  I say eliminate that.  Or have all of the booted compete in one comp to return if they must.  It is all about internet activity, hits, money and sponsors so it is here to stay.  

I would like to see Restaurant Wars revamped.  The front of the house person has to have someone else cook their food and that rarely  works in their favor.  Have the dining rooms all ready to go.  It is not entertaining to watch them shop for decor and it is never judged anyway.  

A solution to the front of the house is to have them prepare something that can be made ahead and reheated which is something all restaurants do.  The judging for that would be specific to that task.  

Anyone know what city they are going to this season?  

I am excited that this won't be too "regional"....California has so much variety

I hated texas - bbq. Boston got boring too much the same. New Orleans also. Too regional

I would really like to see them stop the "physical" challenges - like fishing or cranberry bog or whatever. I don't think it shows their cooking skills at all.

A vegetarian challenge would be interesting. I would like to see at least one or two "blind taste testing" challenges.

I am pretty much "over" last chance kitchen.

I do think it would be good to have NO elimination the first show...and then eliminate two on the 2nd show 

and please - no sob stories!

• Love 3

I am excited that this won't be too "regional"....California has so much variety

I hated texas - bbq. Boston got boring too much the same. New Orleans also. Too regional

I would really like to see them stop the "physical" challenges - like fishing or cranberry bog or whatever. I don't think it shows their cooking skills at all.

A vegetarian challenge would be interesting. I would like to see at least one or two "blind taste testing" challenges.

I am pretty much "over" last chance kitchen.

I do think it would be good to have NO elimination the first show...and then eliminate two on the 2nd show 

and please - no sob stories!

I agree with every word.  The seasons you mention here were low points.   I am looking forward to this in a huge way. 

Edited by wings707

I want to see challenges involving serious chef skills.  For instance, I loved the episode in All-Stars where Tony Bourdain had them filet fish according to the exceedingly high standards of Eric Ripert's fish guy at Le Bernardin.  Don't remember who won. That episode was also great because the chefs then had to prepare a Le Bernardin seafood dish using the fish they had just fileted. Another good fish challenge was the one between Hosea and Stephan.

I also like the mise-en-place relays.  My two favorite moments:  Stephanie's mayonaisse and Hung's breaking down of a chicken in about two minutes flat.

The palate challenges are also good.  Again my favorite was between Hosea and Stephan, probably becuase the guys talked so much trash to each other as they were identifying flavors.

Edited by susannot
  • Love 1

Speaking of All=Stars, I really loved the challenge where they all had to prepare an entree that would suit a particular famous restaurant's menu.  It's both high-end cooking, which is fun to watch, and one that really demands smart chef skills. 

The Camp Diabetes challenge in the second season was not a fave, although finding a way to feed those kids chocolate cake was nice.

I want to see challenges involving serious chef skills.  For instance, I loved the episode in All-Stars where Tony Bourdain had them filet fish according to the exceedingly high standards of Eric Ripert's fish guy at Le Bernardin.  Don't remember who won. That episode was also great because the chefs then had to prepare a Le Bernardin seafood dish using the fish they had just fileted. Another good fish challenge was the one between Hosea and Stephan.

I also like the mise-en-place relays.  My two favorite moments:  Stephanie's mayonaisse and Hung's breaking down of a chicken in about two minutes flat.

The palate challenges are also good.  Again my favorite was between Hosea and Stephan, probably becuase the guys talked so much trash to each other as they were identifying flavors.

You took the words out of my mouth, literally. All of those are favorite challenges of mine. Not seeing someone shoot a gun in the dead of winter or break something out of an ice block. I want to see chef skills, not game show antics.

I would like to see some tweaks in the Restaurant Wars challenge.   Have a designer to do the decor as per their vision and hire buss people.  This would free up some time for them to concentrate on educating wait staff and other details related to swift and efficient service.  Tell diners they must vacate tables when finished with meal to allow other diners to sit.   Have  the feedback cards on the table when they arrive so they can fill them out when done.  

These are things that came to light this week. 

• Love 1

I'd like to see more meat-free challenges. I'd also like to see a challenge where contestants have to choose foods available at a food pantry, generic brand canned vegetables or institutional cheese for instance, along with a very limited pantry and have to make a meal for four. 

I'd like to see more meat-free challenges. I'd also like to see a challenge where contestants have to choose foods available at a food pantry, generic brand canned vegetables or institutional cheese for instance, along with a very limited pantry and have to make a meal for four. 

Our local food pantry has an "orphan shelf"...(there are limits on what people can take in a sopping trip but people can and don't take whatever they want from the orphan shelf) people donate some strange stuff.  I have seen some stuff while sorting that I didn't know existed and couldn't imagine cooking with....they should use some of that stuff.

I think LCK is unfair. The regular contestants have to survive restaurant wars, or cook for 200 people after being up all night, or some other brutal challenge. The LCK contestants serve ONE dish to one biased judge.

• Love 2
On 2/24/2016 at 5:12 PM, JoyousSpring said:

Meat-free, yes. And a limited pantry is good, that forces creativity.

But I don't like when they get stuck with processed/packaged/sponsored foods, or when they have to make something in a microwave. They're chefs, I want to seem them cook beautiful things with beautiful ingredients! I say challenge them at the super pro level, not the home level.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

Am I the only one who despises RW? 

I don't hate it, but I don't think it's worth all the hype either.  I think it's kind of lost its luster.  All the cheftestants know to expect it at some point, it no longer represents opening their own restaurant (if it ever did), making desert or being FOH is so variable in whether it's a good or bad thing, and so on.  Plus, they already have so many team challenges, some of which are structured similarly with needing to put out a complete meal from app to dessert, that I'd just like to see them give this challenge a rest for a while.  Or maybe restructure it - make it the finale challenge between the final 2, or something.

• Love 3