Type keyword(s) to search

@Midnight - General Discussion

Skyfall
  • Start Topic

I'm really tired of Jim Benson. Even when he's funny, which he often is, I find looking at him kind of disturbing. He's so baked all the time he can barely keep his eyes open, it always looks like there's something wrong with him. And neither of the FTW answers made me laugh.

And guess what? Even when weed is legal, that doesn't make it cool to show up on TV stoned out of your mind. Alcohol is legal too but would someone drunk off their ass be funny?

I'm really tired of Jim Benson. Even when he's funny, which he often is, I find looking at him kind of disturbing. He's so baked all the time he can barely keep his eyes open, it always looks like there's something wrong with him. And neither of the FTW answers made me laugh.

And guess what? Even when weed is legal, that doesn't make it cool to show up on TV stoned out of your mind. Alcohol is legal too but would someone drunk off their ass be funny?

Yes, he was a bit out of it, but he still managed to make jokes. Doug is a successful comedian and must have some level of good work ethic despite his chronic...Chronic use, so I can't hate him completely. But I don't find him as clever and endearing as some people do.

I've seen first-hand the bad side of long-term drug use: addiction, prostitution, violence, exploitation, theft, poverty, child abuse and neglect, and mental illness. And that keeps me from admiring people who brag that they use drugs every day but still have a great life. I'm talking to you, Billy Idol.  

Michelle Buteau is funny. It was nice to see a black woman comedian who wasn't sassy in the stereotypical Monique/Sheryl Underwood/Adele Givens/Def Comedy Jam way.

Edited by topanga
  • Love 1

I'm just watching last week's shows and I must say I absolutely love LOVELOVELOVE the chemistry between Chris and Janet Varney. It (obviously) feels the most authentic of all his @midnight interactions.

I bet it's hard to get screen time when you're the third person on a panel with Jessica St. Clair and Lennon Parham.

I really liked Bridey Elliott. Found out after the show that she is the sister of Abby Elliott (formerly of SNL) and daughter of Chris Elliott. Hope she'll be back again.

If @midnight could shake up its format to feature four comics, I'd put Jessica & Lennon on with the Sklar Bros. and then I could ignore that whole episode.

I really liked Bridey Elliott. Found out after the show that she is the sister of Abby Elliott (formerly of SNL) and daughter of Chris Elliott. Hope she'll be back again.

If @midnight could shake up its format to feature four comics, I'd put Jessica & Lennon on with the Sklar Bros. and then I could ignore that whole episode.

I had the complete opposite reaction.  She had several duds that the audience didn't really seem to react to at all.  I thought Jessica and Lennon were much funnier but felt that Chris let Bridey win since she was new and he didn't want to alienate her. I may be a little partial, too, though since I adore Playing House.

• Love 1

I had the complete opposite reaction.  She had several duds that the audience didn't really seem to react to at all.  I thought Jessica and Lennon were much funnier but felt that Chris let Bridey win since she was new and he didn't want to alienate her. I may be a little partial, too, though since I adore Playing House.

Actually, Lennon won the game. I enjoy watching the intensity on Lennon's face, she does the same thing on Playing House. I would not want to get between that woman and her favorite dessert!

• Love 1

It was a fun episode. I always like Wheaton and Chris' friendships with the panelists made for a comfortable show.

Whenever I see the promos for Hannibal Buress' new show, all I can think about was how much of a pill he was the last time he was a guest. Why would I want to watch someone be a sourpuss for 30 minutes? Evidently he ruined himself for me.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 1

UGH to Will Wheaton's beard. I'm not against all beards per se, but his looks so thin and greasy, I can't understand why he would do that to himself.

That said, he did produce the best quip of the night when he said the finger-bang came free with every kid's meal at Subway. 

I frequently enjoy the work of one or two panel members. But since Drunk History, Another Period, and Review are all shows I really, really enjoy, the Waters/Leggero/Daly panel was right up my alley.

• Love 1

I frequently enjoy the work of one or two panel members. But since Drunk History, Another Period, and Review are all shows I really, really enjoy, the Waters/Leggero/Daly panel was right up my alley.

The only disappointment was that the "extended, uncensored" version on the web site/app was only 23 minutes long. Usually there's at least five minutes of extra footage in the Thursday shows. Maybe they were just keeping it tight in anticipation of their upcoming break.

Regarding the Wheaton Beard. I think he grew it to cover that turkey neck he has. Some of his last TNG episodes showed he had quite the gobbler growing.

Edited by Locutus

Good to have the show back but hate CH's new 'do and his ex brought little to the panel. Paul is one of my favorites, he doesn't go for the obvious lines, and holy shit where does he get those suits?

• Love 1
holy shit where does he get those suits?

They have to be bespoke, right? Can you imagine going to a tailor and "I'll take the orange window-pane plaid, please! Three pieces, if you please, my good sir!"

• Love 4

Dear God, why won't Chris shut up?!

That's always the question. He's too damn in love with making sure HE gets his version of the jokes in, rather than him simply hosting.

UGH to Will Wheaton's beard. I'm not against all beards per se, but his looks so thin and greasy, I can't understand why he would do that to himself.

That said, he did produce the best quip of the night when he said the finger-bang came free with every kid's meal at Subway. 

After staring at Frakes' beard for years you'd think Wil would have more caution!

Okay I did not know that. Interesting.

Agreed -- great show (I'll even tolerate the mooning over Chris's engagement photos just this once). I LOVE eBay Price is Right. I wish this had been a Thursday night show so we could have gotten an extended version!

• Love 1

It looks to me like Ron Funches will be on the panel every day this week. Did Chris announce that on Thursday's show and I didn't notice? I love the idea of a "theme week" where Funches is the theme. The other panelists are different every day. It's not reruns, is it? Does anyone know?

It looks to me like Ron Funches will be on the panel every day this week. Did Chris announce that on Thursday's show and I didn't notice? I love the idea of a "theme week" where Funches is the theme. The other panelists are different every day. It's not reruns, is it? Does anyone know?

Yep, it's all new shows next week -- it's called 'Bunches of Funches' week.

• Love 2

Yep, it's all new shows next week -- it's called 'Bunches of Funches' week.

Now we know they read this board.  That phrase was coined here.

Michelle Buteau is funny. It was nice to see a black woman comedian who wasn't sassy in the stereotypical Monique/Sheryl Underwood/Adele Givens/Def Comedy Jam way.

Michelle Buteau is ten times funnier than any of those women.

Doug has a twin brother?

I'm just watching last week's shows and I must say I absolutely love LOVELOVELOVE the chemistry between Chris and Janet Varney. It (obviously) feels the most authentic of all his @midnight interactions.

Didn't Chris used to put his penis in her?  That probably helps the sense of authenticity.

Now we know they read this board.  That phrase was coined here.

Michelle Buteau is ten times funnier than any of those women.

Doug has a twin brother?

Didn't Chris used to put his penis in her?  That probably helps the sense of authenticity.

That's why I added the obviously. Most exes aren't like that, right?

It'll be extremely interesting to see which of the late night shows tackle "Piggate" tonight. I vote for @Midnight as the one most likely to cover it, despite the fact that (1) they're on at 11 PM again this week and (2) the dignified John Hodgman will be on the panel.

I tried to watch Undateable because of the Funches Factor, but the abhoration that is Chris D'Elia overpowers the FF.  I can't watch the @Midnight eps with him either.

Doug Benson is iffy for me - he's funny even if he's baked, by I get kind of put off by him always being so so baked.  But he makes Ron Funches laugh a lot and that is one of the most delightful sounds in the world to me.

• Love 3

I loved Spin City, Scrubs and until its last season and a half, Cougar Town. I want Undatebale to be cancelled because I know that Bill Lawrence can and will want to write a great sitcom with Ron as the star.

I also love Chris's laugh when it comes to Doug and Ron they delight him so and it pleases me.

Edited by biakbiak

I love Funches but I cannot watch Unwatchable, er, Undateable.  Chris D'elia is so unfunny.  I cannot do anything that would encourage anyone to keep putting him on TV.  

I actually thought Undatable was very elevated by the live episode they did last season. Which is why it MIGHT be good this year. Yes, the rancid Chris D'elia is still there, and you still want to crush him like a bug under your shoe, but the REST of the cast squeezed so much out of that live scenario, it came a lot closer to making up for how much D'elia sucks. I kind of just treated him like a random noise machine inserted into the middle of a show I otherwise liked.

• Love 4