Type keyword(s) to search

@Midnight - General Discussion

Skyfall
  • Start Topic

As I figured over in the Upcoming Guests thread, Ashley Tisdale was not so good -- constantly looking down to see what other people had written for her.  I bet someone even wrote her Live Challenge response.

This was a theme episode for some show called 'Clipped' I've never heard of (probably because it's only aired 2 episodes so far and the reviews have been underwhelming) -- not one of the better theme shows, though I did like Lauren Lapkus (and her role in a small Indie film called 'Jurassic World', and her work on 'Orange is the New Black').

(edited)

Last night's show with Koechner, Sasso and Micucci was pretty funny -- I've got to watch the extended version.

ETA:  Finally saw the extended version -- Sasso and Hardwick were having way too much fun.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver

I've been holding onto this all week and have to let it go. #regretfultweets or whatever it was--that should be regretted or regrettable since the tweets were not themselves full of regret. No doubt the twit who tweeted was but that was not the sentiment expressed in the tweets.

• Love 1

I was dying during the Minnesota State Fair segment!  I'm originally from MN and I'm not lying that if you can fry it and/or put it on a stick- it's sold at the fair!

• Love 1
(edited)

I was dying during the Minnesota State Fair segment!  I'm originally from MN and I'm not lying that if you can fry it and/or put it on a stick- it's sold at the fair!

You guys were probably responding along with me: "All of them!"

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 4
(edited)

Why do the Sklar brothers even have a career in comedy? They have never made me laugh once. And I thought Randy's FTW answer was better than Jason's anyway.

Hardwick's worst quality on this show is how much he talks about himself.  

His second worst is that he (or his representatives) keep inviting these two hacks back, again and again.

So Chris seriously, seriously -- no, SERIOUSLY -- doesn't expect anyone to know who the fuck he is. Except when they should.

You don't actually believe him when he pretends to not care when people don't recognize him, right?

His employability and recognizability may have ballooned a few hundred percent in the past few years, but his ego has inflated like a thousand percent in the same period.

When Paul F. Tompkins acts like he's mad about losing, he's at least 80% serious.

Ron Funches for the win !!!

I don't literally want these two back every night... but I'd settle if they're on (probably together) at least twice per month (vs. the approximate once per month or so they seem to be now--usually separately).

Edited by Kromm

There was something adorably endearing to me whenever Emily Gordon would lean over to Kumail and say "Good one" or "I got it!", or things like that. I also thought she had the funniest joke in FTW.

I was cracking up at how bad they all were at the goat puns.

• Love 2
(edited)
I feel bad for Hannibal Buress. He very obviously didn't want to be there. :-(

I don't get that -- he's been on previous times and was really funny, but last night was just a waste of time (his and ours).  They should have just let him "call in sick" and get someone that actually wanted to be there.  

Pete Holmes always amuses me.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 1

I mean, it's nice when the panelists look up from their screens long enough to pay attention to/laugh at each other's jokes, but I do not need to hear Arden Myrin titter throughout the entire show.

I can do without Bridget Everett altogether.

I can do without Bridget Everett altogether.

Really? I was coming here to say how much I liked her.

Buress is a puzzle to me. I love him on Broad City, but he doesn't write that role. He's the one who exposed the Bill Cosby rapes and finally got the press interested, so I like him for that, too. But when he does his own work, about half the time I think he seems like he resents being there and hates having the lights in his eyes. I forget what his previous @midnight appearance was like, but last night he seemed to despise the show and he was shooting daggers at Hardwick. I don't even care if he thinks it's stupid or offensive, but it's not helping his image to show it quite so much, not say why, and not even bother to be funny.

I find Hardwick's points distribution on the "live challenge" to be inexplicable. He doesn't seem to follow the audience reaction, and since the 250/500/1000 discrepancy often has a big impact on the final result, it just seems very random to me. I often think he's chosen based on who he wants in FTW, to be honest.

• Love 1

I find Hardwick's points distribution on the "live challenge" to be inexplicable. He doesn't seem to follow the audience reaction, and since the 250/500/1000 discrepancy often has a big impact on the final result, it just seems very random to me. I often think he's chosen based on who he wants in FTW, to be honest.

I do find it frustrating that it's the Live Challenge that more or less determines who gets cut for FTW, especially if it's the comedian I like. But I don't think Hardwick has any ulterior motives, it's just whim.

My favorite part about Cruz' s John Kennedy impression is the quote he uses is not from JFK, it's RFK paraphrasing George Bernard Shaw and is probably most famously used in Ted Kennedy's eulogy of RFK.

I watched the Extended version of Thursday's episode -- It took nearly 20 minutes just to get to the point where they finished #HashtagWars.  Pete Holmes was even funnier, but Hannibal continued to be disappointing in the extra scenes.

Maybe the noise level is different between where he is and where the microphones are that transmit to the TV audience.

I've wondered about that, too. Last night the audience seemed much more subdued for Hannibal's FTW answer, but Chris seemed not to want to piss him off any more than he already was so, handed him the win.

In general, I wish they wouldn't make fun of the Tag Team home viewers, even if their profiles or screen names are somewhat goofy.

Not as much recently, but I've noted a lot of the time, if someone is REALLY behind by the live challenge, he often gives them one of the higher point totals (even if their jokes aren't amazing) just so that they catch up a little bit.  

I thought it was a fun show, too.

Is this the first time the 2nd and 3rd place was a tie?

I had heard about the shark incident but had not seen the video. Sh-- indeed! Imagine live commenting on that and not knowing how it was going to turn out!

• Love 1

I thought it was a fun show, too.

Is this the first time the 2nd and 3rd place was a tie?

I had heard about the shark incident but had not seen the video. Sh-- indeed! Imagine live commenting on that and not knowing how it was going to turn out!

No, they've had ties quite a few times.  

I thought for sure Jason Ritter was going to get smoked, not being a stand-up comedian (that I know of), but he held his own.

I agree and I was a little worried when the first few of his answers weren't aired.  But, he held his own.  I liked all three of these guests.

• Love 3

I would totally watch "Keeping up with the Hitlers!" Great panel and I thought all of the "period reality shows" were hysterical. "16 and Pregnant - What Took You So Long?" I was laughing through the whole thing. Loved the winning FTW answer too: "U Up?"

• Love 2

Was last night spectacularly unfunny or am I just in a mood?

I don't like when they have a panel made up of cast members to something. This show introduced me to so many new to me comedians in such a short amount of time, I wish they would continue with that. Actually, strike my first sentence. I DO like when they had cast members of Silicon Valley and Jonah & Kumail and Another Period. Maybe I don't like Ashley Williams? (Maybe I'm just hangry and need a snack?)

I'm trying to remember if Matt Besser has ever made me laugh and I can't think of one time.I didn't find the middle guy funny, either. Horatio Sanz was the only one I thought was even remotely funny once or twice.

CH won a couple points with me to his "I once got busy in a Burger King bathroom" Gen-X shoutout. But then lost them back when the "Magnificent Seven Inches" brought on a reference to getting his gf to refer to his dick as that. Is he implying that he's packing 7"? Cuz, uh, I'll believe that when I see it.

I definitely liked Jamie's responses to the "I'm too __ for this ___" game - she got the point more than anyone. Shame that Jesse's prolific but unfunny, slightly-behind-the-times answers got him to the final round. I was okay with his "The Character Assassination of Jesse James by Sandra Bullock" answer, but when it got a deserved groan from the audience and he got seemingly pissed with a "you don't GET it" response... I think they GOT it, and it was not especially funny. Kinda hard to assassinate the character of a scumbag who cheats on his wife with a Nazi-loving skeezebag.

Ooh, @midnight is in trouble with Twitter followers all over the world.

Maybe #NewHarryPotterBooks might not have been the best idea.  Still makes me giggle, though.

I'm never caught up on the show but fortunately I saw @midnight related tweets before I saw the trending list.  They really got people, ha.

Wasn't the audience booing because the diss was against Sandra?

Yep, exactly. I think the audience "got it", but Jesse (the contestant) claimed they didn't; they just didn't think it was accurate/funny.

Kurt Braunohler is a guest I like to see. Chris Destefano or whatever was the weakest link in that panel, but otherwise was a great ep.

(edited)

I laughed loudly at several points during the weather map segment. And -- if Chris is to be believed -- it was completely ad-libbed. Not sure who any of these people are and never heard of their show but may have to give it a try.

btw, I had to look it up:

TBS is about to bring some stormy competition to late night with the brand new series Funny Or Die Presents America's Next Weatherman.It features 12 competitors vying for a job as America's next great weathercaster. Matt Oberg hosts the competition, which will be judged by longtime weather personalities Johnny Mountain and Jillian Barberie. The series is set to premiere Saturday, Aug. 8, at 11 p.m. (ET/PT) on TBS.

Edited by lordonia

Whitney Cummings is never funny.  Never.  She drains the life out of the show.  whenever she realizes she's not funny (or not being received well) she goes into some schtick.  I don't care what her pubic hair looks like.  I don't care if she chews it off like a rabid chipmunk.  Maybe they could just put her on with the Skars so I'll know to skip the episode completely.

• Love 2

I don't think Jimmy Pardo is ever funny. I mean I get what he's going for, but maybe because he just looks like a dad I can't help but think of him as the annoying dad trying to joke with the kids.

Whitney Cummings is never funny.  Never.  She drains the life out of the show.  whenever she realizes she's not funny (or not being received well) she goes into some schtick.  I don't care what her pubic hair looks like.  I don't care if she chews it off like a rabid chipmunk.  Maybe they could just put her on with the Skars so I'll know to skip the episode completely.

Normally I'm in complete agreement. Last night when I saw the ep description on my DVR I said "ugh, Whitney Cummings again?!" and almost skipped it.  However, perhaps because my Whitney bar is so low, or because Nick Thune was funny, but I didn't mind her as much on this episode. I'm sure next time I'll be right back to disliking her, though.

I was thinking "how you could you eliminate Rob Riggle? I mean, he's Rob Riggle!" Then they made him stand there right through the end. I laughed when they came back from commercial and he was still there under the red light. Also loved the gag Ed Helms played on Chris, juvenile as it was. I laughed, I'm 12.

• Love 2

I was part asleep and am a tech dork anyway, but they said something about Funny or Die in the same breathe.  I found this which might point you in the right direction, but it does say the stuff is only going to be up for 24 hours.

I was part asleep and am a tech dork anyway, but they said something about Funny or Die in the same breathe.  I found this which might point you in the right direction, but it does say the stuff is only going to be up for 24 hours.

Thanks for digging that up!

Luckily I don't give a crap so saved myself some time.

Those boy bands they were showing - the first one was Eddie Cibrian and Josh Morrow (and some other goon) from when they were both in The Young and the Restless. Hilarious. 

Loved Chris trying to eat something while the comics were giving him Chris Christie grossness.

• Love 1

The entire GIF-O-Mercial segment was one of the funniest pieces on the show for me. Rob and Paul's announcer voices helped sell it.

"Sick and tired of your dog catching on fire all the time?"

"Hands! Sure they're great, but how do you use them?"

"Did you make a piece of toast so big you'll never be able to eat it?"

"Are you really bad at sticking up convenience stores?"

• Love 5

Wow, Chris and last night's comics had the most unenviable jobs in the world, trying to cheer people up after the last Daily Show with Jon Stewart. They put in a valiant effort but I don't think anything could have lifted my spirits. 

• Love 2