Type keyword(s) to search

@Midnight - General Discussion

Skyfall
  • Start Topic

But seriously does anyone other than Chris D'Elia think he is funny. Apparently, Hardwick and the bookers but they don't find him as funny as he finds himself, god he is the worst.

I find him super annoying -- I wish they'd book him on the same episode as the Sklars so I could skip it entirely.

It is a bit strange that @Midnight has a coordinating producer named Christopher D'Elia who is a a different guy than the comedian. It's not such a common name, after all. I wonder if the two of them are related?

• Love 1

I find him super annoying -- I wish they'd book him on the same episode as the Sklars so I could skip it entirely.

It is a bit strange that @Midnight has a coordinating producer named Christopher D'Elia who is a a different guy than the comedian. It's not such a common name, after all. I wonder if the two of them are related?

Sklar1, Sklar2 and D'Elia?  

And I bet on top of that Hardwick talking about himself rather than doing his main job of asking questions and handing out points?

I'd contemplate burning the studio down.  Okay, that's extreme.  But at the very least yes... it's an automatic 'delete' of the episode without even watching it.

Chris D'Elia does the thing I most hate from contestants - tell the joke, laugh at his own joke, look to the audience to try to get them to affirm his laughter.  It slows the show to a crawl and is really annoying.  He's not as funny as he thinks he is.

• Love 1

I just found out (while watching the TVLand Awards) who Chris D'Elia's dad is. Bill D'Elia has been working in Hollywood for a long time, having directed and/or produced Doogie Howser, Northern Exposure, Chicago Hope, Ally McBeal, The Practice/Boston Legal, Harry's Law, The Crazy Ones and How To Get Away With Murder, among many other shows. Chris D'Elia's busy career makes much more sense to me now.

• Love 2

Chris D'Elia does the thing I most hate from contestants - tell the joke, laugh at his own joke, look to the audience to try to get them to affirm his laughter.  It slows the show to a crawl and is really annoying.  He's not as funny as he thinks he is.

I've noticed that a lot of the contestants do that, even ones that I like.  Pete Holmes and Nick Kroll definitely do it, and I enjoy them both.  Like "eh, eh, come on that was great" or like, bowing to the applause.  I think it's hard for them not to be looking at an audience when making jokes, maybe.  I find that once I notice a contestant doing it, I find their jokes less funny WHEN they do it.  This is why I'm often doing something else while I watch, so I focus less on that quirk.

It's worth noting that the truly funny guys, like Funches and Paul F. Tompkins, and heck to be fair, even super-stoned Doug Benson, don't HAVE to prompt the audience response like that.  I mean Funches and Benson both even laugh out loud a lot as part of their personality, but it's not them laughing at their own jokes.

To be fair to Hardwick himself, who increasingly has shown himself to often be an egotistical piece of shit overall, even he's not often laughing at his own jokes.  He's too busy patting himself on the back more overtly.

On this week (I'm not sure if these are new episodes or repeats):

--Funches, TJ Miller, Agee

--Bamford, Pardo, David O'Doherty

--Sklar Brothers and TBA

--Randall Park, Tim Simmons, Sam Richardson.    

--I'm looking forward to Randal Park. I've never seen him before on @Midnight.

My favorite style of line delivery comes from dark and witty comedians like Steve Agee and Hannibal Buress.

The third panelist with the Sklars will be Kerri Kenney-Silver. I usually post the upcoming panelists over in the other thread, but I don't think I've updated it since she was announced.

The third panelist with the Sklars will be Kerri Kenney-Silver. I usually post the upcoming panelists over in the other thread, but I don't think I've updated it since she was announced.

Kerri Kenney-Silver is quite funny, but it is a bit of a challenge to uplift the Sklar episodes from mediocrity.  Good luck to her doing so.

I was thinking Chris looked a little toasty too.

Chris has said a number of times on his podcast that he doesn't smoke pot because he's one of the ones that it makes paranoid. While booze calmed him down, drugs amped him up too much and made him lose control and he said he hated the feeling. 

The show may have a short-ish expiration period. I thought it was super fun the first couple of months, then it got to be kind of same-old, same-old. I still watch and usually get a laugh along the way, but I've also been FF'ing though Chris' camera-hogging bits.

For a dissenting opinion, I continue to find this show very entertaining. Whoever's in charge of booking guests is someone who listens to the same podcasts as I do.

• Love 5

I have to say, Kevin Pollak was funnier on this show this week than he's been anywhere else in years. I was somewhat astounded by how much I enjoyed him on here, and by the fact that Eddie Izzard did the show.  

• Love 1
(edited)

For a dissenting opinion, I continue to find this show very entertaining. Whoever's in charge of booking guests is someone who listens to the same podcasts as I do.

The quality of the guests is the main thing counterbalancing Chris Hardwick's ego (and how it's manifesting on the show more and more each day).

Well other than them re-booking the Sklars over and over and over. Other than that, the guests are the saving grace here.  Having Funches on at least as often as those two balances them out.  Then again, having Funches TV cast mate Chris D'Elia on so often puts a dent in the Funches glow.

I do understand that Internet literacy/participation is key to this show for a panelist, but I DO still wish they could somehow manage a few more old timey comics--never more than one at a time though.  For example, if they had Billy Crystal on, then pair him with Josh Gad (to help sell their current show) and some third person who's a current club stand-up.  

PERSON TO NEVER HAVE ON:  Jay Leno.  Please (no).

Edited by Kromm

I didn't think Eddie Izzard was very good. His stand-up is hit or miss for me too. And I for one enjoy Chris Hardwick. I loved his rendition of the National Anthem.

I really enjoyed Stephen Tobolowsky the other night.  He was much better than a lot of 'an actor from a show they're promoting who isn't really a standup' guests they have.

• Love 1
(edited)

Well Stephen is also a noted storyteller so he has a ton of writing experience. You should check out his podcast The Tobolowsky Files.

Or his newer podcast, Big Problems, which is more off-the-cuff than The Tobolowsky Files (so more similar to @midnight).

Last night, it was 7 minutes before Chris stopped talking.

Grrrr.  I haven't seen it yet.  Now I'm not so sure I want to.

Is it JUST our little corner of the Internet that hates this?  (not that I want to speak for everyone posting here, but I know quite a few have spoken up on Chris' ego and inability to shut his damn mouth and stop making the whole show about himself).  EDIT - I can see, for example, that iMonrey doesn't agree, and that's fine...

Edited by Kromm
(edited)

At least one of the panelists snarked on it, too.

When Chris just DOES HIS DAMN JOB--the job the host logically should be doing and that he at least started out mostly doing in the first few months of episodes--he's fine.

It's all of the asides about things he said on his other show, or what his girlfriend said or did, or what his mom Tweeted, or when he does a bit that takes over the first quarter of a 21-22 minute show (or in the case of the 7 minute bit, the first THIRD of the show), that's the problem.

DO YOUR DAMN JOB HARDWICK! Not what you can get away with doing instead!

Edited by Kromm

I think we'd better move the Hardwick opinionating to its own thread - this one. Obviously he's part of the episodes, so feel free to mention him in here, but if your post is mostly about how much Chris sucks for hogging the show, or how much you love his ranting about social issues, or whatever, take it to his thread, please!  I'll definitely be over there expressing one of those opinions :)

• Love 2

That rather spontaneous "my dick is like a clown" bit at the opening of the episode was damn hilarious.

Heather Ann Campbell looked like she was having a blast throughout the entire episode (Jeff and Dan looked like they were definitely having fun as well) -- I wish more comedians were like her and actually appeared to be enjoying themselves versus just standing there and reading the prepared jokes they are given.

• Love 3

That rather spontaneous "my dick is like a clown" bit at the opening of the episode was damn hilarious.

Heather Ann Campbell looked like she was having a blast throughout the entire episode (Jeff and Dan looked like they were definitely having fun as well) -- I wish more comedians were like her and actually appeared to be enjoying themselves versus just standing there and reading the prepared jokes they are given.

Absolutely. That's one of the reasons I enjoy Paul F. Tompkins. He's not just trying to think of his next joke. He genuinely seems to enjoy the other comedians' contributions.

• Love 2

I enjoy Doug Benson's stand-up, usually, but maybe if he's going on TV he shouldn't get so baked he can't even open his eyes. Geez. I know being a stoner is his whole schtick, but I think he's got a problem. And Natasha Leggero is funny but her laugh is like nails on a chalkboard. Still, a better panel than Tuesday night's.

• Love 1

I think [Mary Lynn Raskjub] may be my new best friend.

Not sure I got that spelling right.

I don't know how/why it happened, but during Tuesday's ep, I developed a crush on Maron.

My FIOS cable didn't mark these episodes as new, so I just sat down to watch the week's @Midnights and i don't have any. I hope they figure that out soon…I hate watching shows On Demand and sometimes we're 3 weeks behind on these heh.

My FIOS cable didn't mark these episodes as new, so I just sat down to watch the week's @Midnights and i don't have any. I hope they figure that out soon…I hate watching shows On Demand and sometimes we're 3 weeks behind on these heh.

There's always the web option. If you can tolerate it on a computer, or have an appropriate device to transfer that to your TV, the episodes are up on Comedy Central's website like 12 hours after broadcast.

Chris D'Elia and Whitney Cummings - is this a sign of the apocalypse?  So many mercy points given.

Are you forgetting they did an entire TV series together?  The apocalypse came in 2011.

Honestly after that show D'Elia should have never worked again, and Whitney should have taken a few years off (she USED to be okay, so it follow it might be possible again if she somehow stopped appearing with losers like D'Elia).

• Love 1

Was there anything worth seeing in that episode? I gave up after 2 minutes when Chris D'Elia started walking around and cackling at something only mildly funny as if it were the best joke of all time. I felt bad for Nick Swardson for having to be there with them.

I thought Cummings and D'Elia were OK. Honestly after Tuesday's panel anyone seems like a gold mine. I did think Chris went overboard with the record selfies bit, though. This isn't The Daily Show, Hardwick. Stick to the format.

I did laugh at the "guy with a Guinness" doing the selfie judging.

I don't mind D'Elia (well, I don't really dislike any of the regular panelists, so ... low standards) and I thought him totally cracking up over someone else's joke was nice. Many of the comics are so focused on looking down at the podium screen to get their next joke that they don't fully participate in the extemporaneous nature of the show.

I thought him totally cracking up over someone else's joke was nice.

Agreed. I don't find him funny but I like when the comedians appear like they're enjoying themselves. My fav episodes are ones that have the contestants bouncing off each other and cracking up to the point where they can't continue. Afterall, Funches giggle is why we're all here.