Type keyword(s) to search

@Midnight - General Discussion

Skyfall
  • Start Topic

Yeah, I had that song stuck in my head for 3 hours last night after watching that ep.  It's obnoxiously catchy and perfectly suited to Chris's mock hard-rock singing bit. Blehhhh.

Who in the holy hell are Reggie Watts and Rory Scovel? I've never heard of either of them before. Do they usually wear blue eyeshadow? Or were the three of them just trying to do some kind of bit? Whatever was going on went right over my head. That said, both were kind of funny.

Reggie Watts is a comedian/musician who now leads the house band for The Late Late Show with James Cordon (he used to be on Comedy Bang Bang), and Rory Scoval is a standup comedian.  They don't normally wear eye shadow; they were doing a bit.

• Love 1

They were all also doing very polite clapping and congratulating each other after every joke for the first part of the show.

Also, Chris, if you don't like the Kardashians, don't do a 3 minute bit on them and cut off a portion of the rest of your show (the 2nd 60 second segment lasted about 15 seconds because of it).

I didn't mind the Kardashian thing, largely because I enjoyed Reggie and Rory's mock enthusiasm. If they needed time, they could have cut Rory and Chris reenacting that kitten video.

(edited)

Who in the holy hell are Reggie Watts and Rory Scovel? I've never heard of either of them before. Do they usually wear blue eyeshadow? Or were the three of them just trying to do some kind of bit? Whatever was going on went right over my head. That said, both were kind of funny.

Since they've both had regular long-term gigs on TV shows (Watts TV background was already explained upthead and Scovel was on a show named "Ground Floor" as a main cast member for two seasons), they're probably better known than many of the @midnight comics, who often just have this show, comedy clubs, and sometimes a Comedy Central special (if they're lucky) as their on-screen credits.  I'd put these two (especially Watts) kind of in the middle of @midnight guests in terms of profile.

Edited by Kromm

Just watched the Watts/Scovel/third contestant episode and if that third contestant - whose name I don't recall - doesn't come back, it'll be okay to me.  She kept doing that thing with her eyes that really put me off her. It was as if all her comedy manifest itself from her eyes.

Scovel was on a show named "Ground Floor"

Thank you! I knew I recognized him, but I couldn't remember from where.

I don't always mind the rants and stuff like the kitten video re-enactment, but I have felt like things have been getting a bit too wild and crazy in the past few shows. Maybe I'm just tired but the show is too rambunctious for me for that late at night.

I wonder what happened to Will Wheaton. He was advertised to be on the panel for Wednesday night's show but Steve Agee was there instead. Thought Janet Varney was funnier than him and should have gone to FTW instead.

• Love 1

Yeah, his wife Anne said on Twitter today that for the first time ever, she saw a person-shaped fever sweat stain on sheets.  So he was really sick.

Also, his wife is awesome.  Janet Varney, on the other hand, bugs me for some reason.  But I do love Steve Agee.

I wonder if last night's Gore On The Floor game was meant to be played when Wil Wheaton was appearing, considering that The Wil Wheaton Project used the same basic game concept (guess how this horror movie character dies, based on a still from the movie) a few times during their run.

Wil was supposed to be on the previous episode, with Felicia Day. Steve Agee was his replacement.  I assume Gore on the Floor was a nod to Eli Roth.  He even recognized one of the terrible movies.

Eli did pretty well in this ep, I think, but as always, Nikki Glaser rules.

I looked up Nikki's new show:

Having great success with Inside Amy Schumer, Comedy Central is betting on a weekly series featuring another female comedian, Nikki Glaser. Hosted by Glaser and executive produced by [a bunch of people] and Alex Murray (@midnight with Chris Hardwick), the ten-episode Not Safe With Nikki Glaser blends chats with comedians, pre-taped vignettes and social experiments, with Glaser and her guests sharing personal stories about sex, relationships and other taboo topics that Glaser frequently touches upon in her standup. The series will debut in 2016.

Here's Comedy Central about that:

“I was shocked to learn our fans have such keen interest in sex, but so be it,” said Comedy Central’s president of original programming Kent Alterman. “Nikki is the perfect talent to satisfy them.”

Not Safe With Nikki Glaser is described as providing a frank, funny, and honest perspective on all things sex. The audience will also be encouraged to share their own potentially NSFW content with Glaser across multiple platforms.

I don't enjoy hearing about how sex sent people in the ER so am not sure about the viewer participation. But Nikki is one of the comics that @Midnight introduced me to and I think she's funny, so if I'm still awake in 2016 I'll give it a shot.

• Love 1

Does anyone have a theory about why Chris hates Entourage so much? I've never seen it but wasn't it a critical success? I remember it being nominated for awards.

This isn't a new phenomenon. Entourage has always had a reputation (a earned one) for being misogynistic. So, if that's an issue for you, it will cause you to not like the show. He's also a nerd. Watching, what some would call, douchbags doing douchie things isn't going to be something he's hyped about anyway..

Thanks. He was so over the top about it. Jeez. I wonder how many superhero movies pass the Bechdel test. Not Spiderman or the Avengers, off the top of my head.

Probably I'm just over his soapbox rants in general, even if I happen to agree with him.

(edited)

Dog the Bargain Hunter and Deadliest Couch made me laugh so much I snorted. I miss MST3K.

Oh, and Heil, Newman.

Edited by ABay
  • Love 5

I have never watched MST3K, but after watching the guys I totally want to! I really like the show in that: it introduced me to comedians (I had never seen Ron Funches or Megan Neuringer and others before the show started and now I adore them and others) and it introduces me to comedians I have missed because for whatever reason I thought I wouldn't like them but then I totally love them (Tim Minchin) and I get to see the comedians I watched in the 80s to see how they've changed with age or whatever (Marc Maron).

Sorry for the run-on sentence, I haven't have my coffee yet and therefore forgot how to use punctuation!

• Love 2
I had never seen Ron Funches or Megan Neuringer and others before the show started and now I adore them and others) and it introduces me to comedians I have missed because for whatever reason

Totally agree @justjen.  I am so glad this show has introduced me to Ron Funches in addition to guys like Steve Agee (who came up with that memorable line about Pervert Dave), Kyle Kinane, and Doug Benson, but also so many funny women that I had never seen before like the aforementioned Megan Neuringer, Nikki Glaser, Jen Kirkman, and April Richardson.  Watching these comedians let loose on this show has made me want to see more of their work -- and especially people who aren't allowed to say such things on their regular day jobs (like Drew Carey, because he can't make dick jokes on The Price is Right, or Mary Lynn Rajskub).

And this MST3K episode really shows how well the theme shows can work.

• Love 4
(edited)

I have never watched MST3K, but after watching the guys I totally want to! I really like the show in that: it introduced me to comedians (I had never seen Ron Funches or Megan Neuringer and others before the show started and now I adore them and others) and it introduces me to comedians I have missed because for whatever reason I thought I wouldn't like them but then I totally love them (Tim Minchin) and I get to see the comedians I watched in the 80s to see how they've changed with age or whatever (Marc Maron).

Sorry for the run-on sentence, I haven't have my coffee yet and therefore forgot how to use punctuation!

Watch stuff here for a taste: RiffTrax

Edited by fastiller
  • Love 2
(edited)

For Tag Team Thursday, I wonder if they stopped showing a screenshot of the at-home player's entire page because of complaints. I for one enjoyed freeze-framing to check out all the personal info.

I was intrigued enough by Chris Gethard to look up his show and add it to my DVR.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 1

Acclimated to to regular rotation of funny-but-been-there-done-that comedians, I did an impromptu jig upon seeing the MST3K guys. I had no idea they were going to appear and was squeeing and giggling the whole time! My collection of MST3K DVDs are the only ones in my house that are on constant rotation - I could not recommend their stuff enough.

Last night's episode with John Hogeman, Chris Gethard, and Kyle Kinane was pretty funny -- though the bit in the middle with them describing their vacation photos kind of dragged.  I'm going to have to watch the extended version because that bit took a long time so they probably had to cut a lot out.  Watching Kyle Kinane trying to come up with answers to the #GameofThronesFood hashtag war when he has never seen the show was good in how bad he was at them.  

I had no idea the MST3k dudes were still doing stuff and I would totally attend Sharknado but I'm working. I'm shocked they even do it here. So now I'm bummed. Don't even say Ron Funches to me because I'll cry, I NEED FUNCHES EVERY DAY!  He is my happy pill. 

• Love 1
(edited)

There must be an entire back story or comedic history with Dave Hill that I missed. I don't care enough to look him up, but I never get his jokes. Is he a performance artist? He is gay? Not gay but likes to pretend he is? Leaves me cold.

Edited by lordonia

I did look up Dave Hill--I know I've seen him before, and I was wondering if he was part of the "alternative comedy" scene that was big a few years ago--and found this fun fact on Wikipedia:

Hill wrote the theme song for Last Week Tonight with John Oliver, "Go", performed by his band Valley Lodge.

That's kind of a cool theme, so maybe he needs to stick to music.

Do any of you have Periscope? Ron Funches did a Q&A on there live before filming his episode. He is on a diet. I only caught the end.

I follow the show on Twitter and when they do live Periscope stuff, I get a pop up.

(edited)

Can someone explain to me the robots joke from Paul that Chris loved so much?

He was doing a play on the old Transformers cartoon, which was "Transformers!  Robots in disguise", and so Paul sang (I believe) "Robots in this guy" to the tune of the theme song.

Edited by Princess Sparkle

I like April Richardson generally, though I don't think she's necessarily in her element on this show.   The onion ring line was excellent, though.

Paul and Ron were goddamned delightful. We lost a lot of content to laughter from Chris, but it's hard to avoid, I imagine. Let's get those 2 some kind of buddy comedy.

• Love 1

Chris Cubas had some good jokes but I have to admit I find all that hair distracting and somewhat off-putting. 

I thought "I was born copper but identify as a green woman" should have won the internet.