Type keyword(s) to search

Erin and Chad: Fifty Shades of Pink

• Start Topic

4 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

There were ads on Erin's last video. Might have also been ads in the RV one as well, but I don't remember.

Right, I know her YouTube is monetized, but I meant paid promotions, affiliate links and ads on Instagram. I should've specified, sorry. I think the Bates girls do pretty well earning extra cash via social media, and I'm just curious as to why Erin hasn't jumped on that. 

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

She isn't exactly a prolific poster.  If she had sponsors she would be obligated to post more often.  Maybe she just isn't interested in putting in the effort required.

Entirely possible. But they really need to look into every possible revenue stream to support their growing family. And I'm convinced that there will be another one coming before the ovary factory shuts down for good.

• Love 2

I have all ideas that she has been on the phone to the fertility doctor claiming that she needs a hormone tuneup for her "menopausal symptons."  And then low and behold another little blessing comes along. 

• Love 3

While you can get paid via IG reality is most companies try to pay you with free goods not actual cash, so you can continue pushing their product. That's why her sisters are so obsessed with IG bc OMG free expensive make up; hair care; vitamins; free junk for their homes; free kids clothes. Most often this stuff is coming from start up brands/brands that are still trying to grow; brands like Sephora have no use for people like the Bates.

Erin could do the same and her product placements could be more food related - like those meat subscription services for good cuts of meat could save them some serious $. Then there's things like cookware; and it's not like her kids don't need clothes. But a huge part of me wonders if she shies away from this stuff not only bc she'd have to continuously engage with IG [which she looks down on her sisters for] AND also the lack of storage in their house. She doesn't have room for more cookware or kids clothing even if it's free, nor any room to store huge cuts of meat. I mean on her house tour it seems like each kid gets 1 Rubbermaid bin of clothing to put under the bed and 1 closet shelf, so she'd be over run if clothing arrived monthly. Same with kitchen gadgets - I mean she stores her stand mixer on a shelf above her laundry machine, and that's also their snack cabinet. People don't store their cookies right above where they wash their underwear unless there is legit no room. 

She needs to jump on YT and make actual cash like Carlin and Evan do; but that requires a video every single week and being engaging enough that you're getting 80-100k view/per week, which I think she could do bc she's not just naval gazing like Alyssa - her videos could be cooking/baking/budget living and there is a market for that. YT can make her actual cash which may speed up the process of getting into a bigger home.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3

And while she is on YouTube she should stop with popping out babies every year or two. And encourage Chad to get his contractor license so he can earn a decent living. 

• Love 6
1 minute ago, 65mickey said:

And while she is on YouTube she should stop with popping out babies every year or two. And encourage Chad to get his contractor license so he can earn a decent living. 

Not going to happen.  She wants as many babies as she can conceive.  Maybe number 5 was the miracle last one, but if there is the slightest chance she can conceive again (and again) she will.  

And given that Chad's father went to medical school, did his residency, but never got board certified, I doubt a contractor's license is something he would chase after.  The Lord will provide- who needs bureaucracy and red tape?

• Love 3
(edited)

Just to clarify- you don't have to be board certified to practice medicine.  You do need a license which has to be renewed every year, and that does not require a test.  Residents are not board certified, but they are licensed.  

However, some insurance plans will not cover non-board certified doctors, and a lot of prospective patients will look for someone who is certified.  Also, I believe some hospitals may not hire or give admitting privileges to non-board certified physicians.  I think Chad's father practices family medicine, and if he is in a small town he may not be affected as much by his lack of certification, because people know him and there may not be many other local doctors.  No one knows if he failed the certification test and never tried again, or if he just never took it.

My daughter is board certified in both Internal Medicine and Infectious Diseases.  She has to retake the board exam every 10 years.  Technically, since she practices Infectious Diseases, she doesn't have to retake the IM boards, but knowing her, she will.

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Useful 8
(edited)
13 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

Just to clarify- you don't have to be board certified to practice medicine.  You do need a license which has to be renewed every year, and that does not require a test.  Residents are not board certified, but they are licensed.  

However, some insurance plans will not cover non-board certified doctors, and a lot of prospective patients will look for someone who is certified.  Also, I believe some hospitals may not hire or give admitting privileges to non-board certified physicians.  I think Chad's father practices family medicine, and if he is in a small town he may not be affected as much by his lack of certification, because people know him and there may not be many other local doctors.  No one knows if he failed the certification test and never tried again, or if he just never took it.

My daughter is board certified in both Internal Medicine and Infectious Diseases.  She has to retake the board exam every 10 years.  Technically, since she practices Infectious Diseases, she doesn't have to retake the IM boards, but knowing her, she will.

Most hospitals will not give staff privileges to physicians who are not board certified.  The only exception is for doctors who are in specialties that require a couple years of practice before you can take the exam.  Those are mostly surgical specialties that require proof that you're actually doing the procedures successfully before they will grant their seal of approval.  A doc who has taken the written exam but not the final part due to this would be called board eligible and that is the usual minimum requirement to get staff privileges at a hospital.  Even then, you're only considered board eligible for a set number of years (was 7 in OB/GYN when I was looking to get my boards) and then you either have taken and passed certification or you have to start again with the written exam. 

In my specialty, to remain certified, you have to annually do reading in specific topics in the specialty (you get to choose which ones based on your personal practice and interests) and take a quiz afterwards to prove you read it.  There's a written general exam every 6 years, but, if you do well enough on the annual requirements, you don't have to take it.  I took it once before the rules changed and it was pretty straightforward and I'd think most docs in practice could pass if with minimal prep.

It is possible to practice without board certification.  Certain specialties, like Dermatology, rarely need hospital privileges and the docs can earn a living working exclusively in the office.  Some urgent cares will hire docs without certification, a lot of residents who need extra cash go this route.  Many of the docs who work in institutions like prisons or jails don't have their boards.  

As far as a medical license, you do have to renew it every couple years and answer questions about your practice.  You also have to have a certain number of CME (continuing medical education) hours and provide proof if asked.  You cannot legally practice medicine anywhere without a license in the state where you're working.

My suspicion would be that Chad's father was not a very good doctor and didn't finish his residency because he was asked to leave.  I've only seen that happen a few times, and its usually a competence issue.  One of the guys I went to med school with was asked to leave an internal medicine residency after 2 years.  His last initial was B and everyone called him 'Killer B';  really bad.  He got a job as a prison doc and worked there for years.

Edited by Rootbeer
  • Useful 5
  • Love 3
(edited)

It never occurred to me that Chad’s father might have been asked to leave his residency, I had just read that he wasn’t board certified.  I just googled him and he does in fact work at a correctional facility.

Thanks for the clarification @Rootbeer.  I’m pretty sure my daughter and her husband have to renew their medical licenses every year, but I’m guessing that varies from state to state.  They both are employed by a large university  hospital system and they are faculty members so their CME requirements are definitely up to date.

ETA: Back to Erin and Chad, I watched her baking video on YouTube.  So much better than Alyssa's stuff.  She could definitely make some money if she kept on producing similar content.

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 5
(edited)

It looks like it’s Erin and Carlson going to CA. So Chad and Finley as well? Erin has a story of the three girls smothering Carson with goodbyes. Finances must be pretty tight. But sure keep trying for another blessing. 

Edited by SMama
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

I wonder if Erin is taking Carson and Finley while Chad stays with the girls? I'm trying to figure out who'd babysit if both of them went. It seems like they rely mostly on Michael and she's not an option. Is Chad's sister still living in the area? I haven't heard anything about her since she married the rapist.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Yikes money is tight. Not that we didn't know that before given their living situation and Chad's unlicensed contractor gig when sweet friends from church need a kitchen redone. I assume it's just Erin + Carson as Carson is in the wedding, but I guess she could bring the baby too who doesn't require a paid seat. If Chad is staying home, I guess he watches his kids from Tuesday evening until Erin returns which is probably going to be by late Thursday night - I doubt she'd even stay the day Thursday as it'll cost more in hotels + she's got a pack of kids waiting. If Chad is going, they actually do have their own friends [from church] who have watched their kids before for weekends including recently when they went to Fla., so they don't only rely on Michael/Brandon so I'm guessing that couple gets 3 kids.

Wonder if Alyssa is experiencing some FOMO as she watches videos of the sibs who've arrived in SD already or the ones who are flying out tonight [and I think Carlin is tomorrow as she said they're staying in Nashville tonight though could also be she has a red eye so it's dinner in Nash at the inlaws' this evening and then head to the airport] including ones like Erin who are making it work even though they couldn't all afford to go. Though if Alyssa ever spoke to her sisters, she could prob have figured out that certain ones like Erin were going w/ just 1-2 kids and she could have decided to do the same.

Josie & Kelton made SUCH a big deal re vacationing in Cali and it appears they're doing . . . nothing. Thus far it's been like hanging with the family for church + Mothers Day + now hanging w/ Katie and Lydia since they've arrived -- activities they do in Knox too albeit without palm trees. Interesting to waste $$$ to arrive in SD 5 days early for that.  I realize they're staying after the wedding for another 3-4 days so that's when they'll do Disney etc. but still a waste . . . though I imagine they're at least taking the kids to the beach in SD.

• Love 3
(edited)

I don't know if any of you lurk on Reddit, but man, Erin is getting reamed over there. I agree she tends to favor Carson, but I think it's a tad unrealistic to say she should've taken all five kids to the wedding. Carson's in the ceremony, the three girls aren't. That would've been a crap ton of $$$ spent on airfare for what, a three day trip? I understand that it looks like Golden Boy gets to do something fun and special while his sisters are missing out, but they're so young they won't remember it two weeks from now. 

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 9

If they can’t afford it, they can’t afford it. I do agree Erin appears to favour Carson, but he is in the wedding party. I feel bad for Brooklyn. She appears to be very close to her Uncle Lawson, and she is almost 6 which is old enough to wonder why she isn’t being included.

• Love 5
(edited)

It would only be mean to leave the girls if they were left out of the ceremony at Erin’s request. We don’t know what their individual finances are, but I’m sure people see Z&W with kids (5 tickets) and think Erin should be able to do the same. It’s been obvious since the beginning of their marriage that Chad and Erin didn’t have much in terms of spending money. Maybe if Chad is taking care of them it will ease the sting for poor Brooklyn. Besides, if all the sins are doing is hanging out, like they do at home, the littles are not missing much. TBH, I would not be able to leave my child behind, it’s been like that with our two. It’s why we didn’t want more children. 

PS: Erin so does prefer Prince Carson. Wish that extended to getting his speech evaluated. 

Edited by SMama
  • Love 8
(edited)
6 hours ago, SMama said:

PS: Erin so does prefer Prince Carson. Wish that extended to getting his speech evaluated. 

But that would require effort, money, and  it would cut into the time available to produce scripture cards.🙄 Plus, it’s not like he is going to public school where a teacher would notice or the other kids would make fun of him.

I have noticed that Everly sometimes wears glasses.  I guess glasses are an acceptable intervention but speech therapy is not.

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 3
(edited)

Erin just posted in her stories that she's flying to CA with Bobby and Tori. It looks like Alyssa is the only sibling not attending. I wonder how she feels about that? I thought Tori might opt out, but she proved me wrong. 

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 4
Just now, BitterApple said:

Erin just posted in her stories that she's flying out with Bobby and Tori. It looks like Alyssa is the only sibling not attending. I wonder how she feels about that? I thought Tori might be the one other sibling not attending, but she proved me wrong. 

Any idea if Tori is bringing her kids? Alyssa is probably fuming that no one stepped up to give her a plane ticket! 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, ozziemom said:

Any idea if Tori is bringing her kids? Alyssa is probably fuming that no one stepped up to give her a plane ticket! 

Erin didn't mention the kids, so maybe Tori brought the baby and had friends take the boys? 

Lol, yeah, I think Alyssa totally expected her stalker-friend to buy the ticket or a fan to donate miles and that clearly didn't happen. I wonder if she regrets going to I Love You Day (which sucked and her family didn't even have a good time) rather than save the money for a trip to San Diego. 

• Love 4

At least Erin is making an effort to attend her brother's wedding and if it's with just 2 kids, that's still better than no one going - esp given that I'm fairly confident that Alyssa/John have more money that Erin/Chad just based on how they live; they're just less interested in family events, which is their choice.

Reality is ALL the couples besides Z&W who spend like there's no tomorrow + Michael/Brandon who only need 2 tickets did something to make an expensive trip cheaper for them. For most families it meant flying to/from bigger airports where you get better deals. Even Katie/Trav who aren't hurting for money at all drove up to Newark which is 1hr+ from them for a 5 am flight rather than go out of Philadelphia which is 30 min away bc you're always going to get a better deal out of Newark for a cross country. Evan/Carlin are headed to Nash despite the fact that the wife REALLY could have used an easy local flight having just given birth and all. Josie/Kelton again not hurting for money but flew into LA, where you get a better deal than smaller San Diego. Erin chose to economize by taking fewer people - no shame in that.

BUT Erin and Chad DO 1000% prefer Carson - the namesake and the only boy. It was obvious the way they gushed about him in the "we're pregnant" video while back handing all the girls as "yeah they're sweet." I understand Carson has to attend because he's in the wedding. But given that Erin talks to all her brothers [despite her falling out with many of her sisters], I have a feeling Law gave her a heads up that it was very likely going to be a Ca. wedding + he wanted Carson and Brooklyn in it AND Erin was the one who told him -- hmm I doubt we're ALL going to be able to go but we'd def take Golden Boy Carson, put him in but not Brooklyn just in case we don't fly her out.

I have a hard time believing that Law asked for Carson but not Brooklyn. He seems close with both of them - he has been showing taking BOTH of them places like the zoo or ice cream w/o their younger siblings and on Brooklyn's birthday he came over late at night to give her some toy and he was the ONLY sibling who did that besides Michael/Brandon who baked her cake. Same way he's close with both Bradley and Kaci and takes them both to his rehearsals etc. sometimes and asked BOTH to be in his wedding.

I disagree that at this age they'll forget in a week. 6 and 7 year olds remember fun places they've gone and Carson talking about how much fun Uncle Law's wedding was or how he went to the ocean or saw palm trees or even just the ice cream mommy bought him at the airport [which you can see him eating in Erin's IG video on the layover], yeah it'll hurt Brooklyn's feelings and she'll feel left out and no special at home spa day with mommy or whatever will make up for it. But I guess in this cult get used to it. I mean she's 5.5 - in like 4 years she'll be cooking dinners + washing Carson's underwear, while Carson will not be doing those things.  

• Love 1

Doesn't seem like a big deal to only travel with the 2 kids.  Baby still breastfeeding and the other in the wedding.  People do it all the time.  She's only taking a page from her moms handbook, starting early travelling with only some of the kids. 

• Love 3

Erin put up a post for Carson’s birthday.  There a a few photos of Carson with his dad, his mom and the baby, with Everly, and with Holland, plus one of Carson by himself, but Brooklyn is MIA.

That poor child is almost 6.  Chances are Erin will show the kids the post. She will notice that she is not included, and that has got to sting. 

• Love 1

I so agree Carson is still the favored child. I remember back when Erin only had maybe, three kids, she actually said it out loud. Fortunately there's a little gaggle of girls behind him and not only one, so the favoritism will be less obvious to the girls and in there (unfortunate) world girls and boys are treated differently anyway.

Not to sound cold hearted, but as far as flower girls and ring bearers go, such is life. Not everyone can be in everyone's wedding. As far as this wedding, other than the plane ride, I doubt it was all that much fun for Carson. They basically flew in, attended the wedding and flew home.

• Love 3
(edited)
2 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

What's going to happen to the animals?

In the middle of it, will let you know if they say. So far Chad joked that they are taking all the kids.

Edited by Dehumidifier
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
17 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

What's going to happen to the animals?

Around the 9:26 mark Chad said they are able to take their animals. Near the end Erin said her initial questions were Can we have animals?, farm?, flowers? She is researching plants to see which ones to take with her. Chad said he is wrapping up Paine Construction and Trace and Warden will carry on. A bit contradictory --they get the Rolodex, I assume. A church community they are joining is part of the reason they are going. More details to come in the future.

Edited by Dehumidifier
  • Love 4
7 minutes ago, Dehumidifier said:

Around the 9:26 mark Chad said they are able to take their animals. Near the end Erin said her initial questions were Can we have animals?, farm?, flowers? She is researching plants to see which ones to take with her. Chad said he is wrapping up Paine Construction and Trace and Warden will carry on. A bit contradictory --they get the Rolodex, I assume. A church community they are joining is part of the reason they are going. More details to come in the future.

That video was a big nothingburger. It was God this, God that. 

• Love 9
(edited)

The plan is to take the animals. 

Reading between the lines, it sounds like the frustration over not being able to purchase a house led to the move. Not that Florida is any more affordable, but maybe Chad has a job lined up and there's better options for rentals. He mentioned a a church down there as a major factor in their decision so maybe he's pulling a David Waller and going the Pastor route.

I'm not sure how close they'll be to Alyssa. I might have missed it but I don't recall them mentioning a city. Erin seems to have distanced herself from the family quite a bit these past few years. I don't think she'll be nearly as homesick as Katie, but I do think she'll miss Tori and Michael.

Overall though, they were pretty vague. Lots of platitudes, few real details. 

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

The plan is to take the animals. 

Reading between the lines, it sounds like the frustration over not being able to purchase a house led to the move. Not that Florida is any more affordable, but maybe Chad has a job lined up and there's better options for rentals. He mentioned a a church down there as a major factor in their decision so maybe he's pulling a David Waller and going the Pastor route.

I'm not sure how close they'll be to Alyssa. I might have missed it but I don't recall them mentioning a city. Erin seems to have distanced herself from the family quite a bit these past few years. I don't think she'll be nearly as homesick as Katie, but I do think she'll miss Tori and Michael.

Overall though, they were pretty vague. Lots of platitudes, few real details. 

No city mentioned. State not even mentioned until the end. Probably on purpose.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, Dimi1 said:

OMG...where did they say they are moving...I feel like this is the longest tease...sheesh...

finally at the last minute...florida ...My hair grew and inch waiting...

• LOL 7
  • Love 2
29 minutes ago, Dehumidifier said:

<snip> A church community they are joining is part of the reason they are going. More details to come in the future.

Yikes. I have been following a thread on Websleuths about a young family that recently went on a religious sabbatical to FL and disappeared. They just up and left one day after texting their family that they were leaving for a bit. Lots of speculation that they joined a crazy cult.

I’m sure it’s not the same for Chad& Erin but that is where my mind went when I saw the snippet above. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

They said that god is leading them to move so who knows what’s up. IIRC they visited Chad’s grandfather awhile back, remember the awkward picture of them at Alyssa’s house? Seemed like they stopped for about 5 minutes. So they are probably moving somewhere in central Florida which is generally not as expensive as coastal areas. I live on the gulf coast near Sarasota and house prices here have gone crazy. And there’s no inventory to buy or rent. So I wouldn’t be surprised if the Paine’s have scored housing from a church friend or family. They mentioned church family in the YouTube story as a reason for the move, so maybe Chad has work lined up through those connections as well. There was very little actually disclosed in the story but tune in for more updates!

• Love 3

I found out they were moving to Florida by reading the comments.  They gave little detail.  They will be taking the animals, plants...no mention of how they expect to support themselves....wrapping up Paine Construction sounds like he isn't going to be doing that anymore.  there was no mention of purchasing a home.  The comments about  being able to raise animals, farm made it sound like they won't be owning anything.  I was surprised they made little mention of leaving family. 

as to the CA trip, sure would have been nice to have that boutique money to spend.  

• Love 2
(edited)

Well this is a bit of a shocker.  
Maybe his grandfather is ill and there is a chance Chad will inherit the house?  If they can’t afford to buy in Tennessee I sincerely doubt they can afford Florida.

Gotta bring the pigs and goats though. 🙄

Edited by 3 is enough
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1

That's what I think. They are moving to Florida and will live with the grandfather with the promise that the house will be theirs one day. Or maybe he has land that they ae going to build on.  There is no way that the cost of housing in Florida is less than the area of Tennessee where they live now.  Who up and moves somewhere just because there is a great church unless he now calls himself a pastor of some sort? Of course I'm just speculating on all of this. 

• Love 6
Just now, 65mickey said:

That's what I think. They are moving to Florida and will live with the grandfather with the promise that the house will be theirs one day. Or maybe he has land that they ae going to build on.  There is no way that the cost of housing in Florida is less than the area of Tennessee where they live now.  Who up and moves somewhere just because there is a great church unless he now calls himself a pastor of some sort? Of course I'm just speculating on all of this. 

These are my thoughts as well. It removes the surprise I felt when they said they were moving. And it makes sense that they were vague - no one wants to say we have an opportunity for a house when grandpa dies.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, 65mickey said:

I think this theory makes the most sense. If Chad's grandfather owns a house with a decent amount of land, that explains how they can keep the animals. It's a win/win for both sides. Chad's grandfather has someone to maintain the property and take care of him in old age, and Chad and Erin get the house when he dies. Otherwise the move doesn't make much sense. Erin's been to Florida many times and I've never seen her wax poetic about it. 

10 hours ago, YupItsMe said:

Yikes. I have been following a thread on Websleuths about a young family that recently went on a religious sabbatical to FL and disappeared. They just up and left one day after texting their family that they were leaving for a bit. Lots of speculation that they joined a crazy cult.

I’m sure it’s not the same for Chad& Erin but that is where my mind went when I saw the snippet above. 

You may not be too far off base. One of the thoughts on Reddit is that Erin and Chad are dissatisfied with how the Bates family has become more worldly. Girls are wearing pants, the boys listen to mainstream country music, Josie's kids are going to Disney. The way they gush about this new church makes me think it's hardline Fundie. Someone also discovered that Chad's parents are selling their home in Indiana. Maybe they're moving down there as well and starting some sort of family compound. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 4