Type keyword(s) to search

Erin and Chad: Fifty Shades of Pink

• Start Topic

What was the dig by Alyssa against Erin? Don't recall that one.

I too wondered if something was up between Erin and Whit, as I noticed they had a bday party for Whit at G&K's house and Erin wasn't there. And then the day after (and many times since then too), there's all these pics of Carlin and Evan going out to brunch, dinner, etc. with Z&W and it's not exclusively those to 2 couples bc sometimes Kelly will come, sometimes Katie, whatever brothers are around etc. but NEVER Chad and Erin. And yeah also noticed she wasn't there the day before Whit's party when Carlin said everyone had stayed really late at G&K's house because Tiff's parents came to visit and in subsequent days when they went out to dinner w/ Law/Tiff etc. IDK if she went to Nathan and Esther's shower but yeah she's skipping Katie's for some marriage retreat - and presumably there are marriage retreats all the time, if your sister's shower was important to you, you could go to another one in a few weeks. 

Maybe it is lingering awkwardness with Whit and Carlin? It's not all post covid or pregnancy or bedrest or something bc she and Chad are out and about including going away for a weekend.

I have noticed though Whit is REALLY quick to dump her kids and go out with Carlin ALL THE TIME as if she doesn't have 4 kids. Carlin just brings her one kid but Whit never does - if you look at all the pics from the dinners, brunches, shopping etc. Whit NEVER has her kids with her. I think she is very quick to use Addie/Ellie and (maybe her parents?) as FT babysitters so she can pal around with Carlin. And often Whit will be carrying around and baby talking Carlin's kid as if she doesn't have 4 of her own!? When Erin wasn't with them for 3 days in a row of dinners with Tiff/Law, then Whit's party, then brunch with Z&W, I do remember thinking -- hmm maybe Erin judges Whit for always going out w/o kids and doesn't want to do that? But maybe Whit and Carlin judge her for dragging her 4 kids around when they're pretending to be young hip couples on double dates so Erin is kind of like ok fine I won't go.

I do get the feeling Erin and Chad want to live far more traditionally. I've noticed the same about Tori and Bobby too; I know she isn't big on social media but she doesn't attend 80-90% of these things bc if she did, you'd see her in the background of Whit and Carlin's pictures. I think for both of those couples, once they had kids - it became about the kids, family time, bedtime etc. While Z&W and Carlin/Evan kind of want to pretend they're young and hip and childless - either by dragging the kid along when it's practical (i.e. there's only 1) even if that mean the kid is randomly sleeping in restaurants or stores or dumping the kids.

Edited by cereality
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, cereality said:

What was the dig by Alyssa against Erin? Don't recall that one.

I too wondered if something was up between Erin and Whit, as I noticed they had a bday party for Whit at G&K's house and Erin wasn't there. And then the day after (and many times since then too), there's all these pics of Carlin and Evan going out to brunch, dinner, etc. with Z&W and it's not exclusively those to 2 couples bc sometimes Kelly will come, sometimes Katie, whatever brothers are around etc. but NEVER Chad and Erin. And yeah also noticed she wasn't there the day before Whit's party when Carlin said everyone had stayed really late at G&K's house because Tiff's parents came to visit and in subsequent days when they went out to dinner w/ Law/Tiff etc. IDK if she went to Nathan and Esther's shower but yeah she's skipping Katie's for some marriage retreat - and presumably there are marriage retreats all the time, if your sister's shower was important to you, you could go to another one in a few weeks. 

Maybe it is lingering awkwardness with Whit and Carlin? It's not all post covid or pregnancy or bedrest or something bc she and Chad are out and about including going away for a weekend.

I have noticed though Whit is REALLY quick to dump her kids and go out with Carlin ALL THE TIME as if she doesn't have 4 kids. Carlin just brings her one kid but Whit never does - if you look at all the pics from the dinners, brunches, shopping etc. Whit NEVER has her kids with her. I think she is very quick to use Addie/Ellie and (maybe her parents?) as FT babysitters so she can pal around with Carlin. And often Whit will be carrying around and baby talking Carlin's kid as if she doesn't have 4 of her own!? When Erin wasn't with them for 3 days in a row of dinners with Tiff/Law, then Whit's party, then brunch with Z&W, I do remember thinking -- hmm maybe Erin judges Whit for always going out w/o kids and doesn't want to do that? But maybe Whit and Carlin judge her for dragging her 4 kids around when they're pretending to be young hip couples on double dates so Erin is kind of like ok fine I won't go.

I do get the feeling Erin and Chad want to live far more traditionally. I've noticed the same about Tori and Bobby too; I know she isn't big on social media but she doesn't attend 80-90% of these things bc if she did, you'd see her in the background of Whit and Carlin's pictures. I think for both of those couples, once they had kids - it became about the kids, family time, bedtime etc. While Z&W and Carlin/Evan kind of want to pretend they're young and hip and childless - either by dragging the kid along when it's practical (i.e. there's only 1) even if that mean the kid is randomly sleeping in restaurants or stores or dumping the kids.

Right, they only seem to want kids when they make "cute" vids or pics.  Too bad no one told them they didn't have to get knocked up the minute after saying "I do".  
Looked like Michaela watched Chad & Erin's kids and wonder if she dragged them to the shower...since she was in one of the pictures of the shower.

• Love 1

Yes there definitely seems to be something up with Erin and the sisters who are always on SM. Whit tries way too hard to fit into all the Bates family activities. She’s pictured a lot with Carlin or Kelly even without Zac. The root is most likely the Bates sisters boutique. Family businesses are always tough, too much intertwining of family issues, personalities etc. BSB is probably not going in the direction Erin is comfortable with. She and Chad seem more Fundie and maybe Erin wasn’t interested in being at the boutique on a regular basis. And this has all slowly seeped into her not attending every shower and birthday party, which with so many family members would be exhausting. And I can’t blame her for not spending the day like Carlin, KJ, Whit and Josie did yesterday (per Carlin Instagram) running to 5 or 6 stores getting supplies for a shower that was THE NEXT DAY! 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Alyssa's dig...

On IG, Erin was advertising religious flashcards for kids and adults that she designed. The ones for kids are A - Z cards. The same day, or the next day, Alyssa did an IG story showing A - Z religious flashcards she uses with her kids. The flashcards are made by Abeka.

To me, that was Alyssa basically letting the world know her sister was stealing an idea and calling it her own.

• Useful 5

Haven't looked at the shower pics that closely but if I had to guess, I assume Chad/Erin's girls were there bc they brought all the girl grandchildren. I mean you need to indoctrinate girls young that weddings are sooo magical and the only life's dream there is, esp the girls that are already age 4+. They need to start getting ready for prince charming's arrival in 12 years. I assume the boy was with Brandon. Brandon is pretty good with kids so I'm sure he could watch him for 3 hrs but if he wasn't comfortable solo, I bet some combo of Zach, Bobby, and Brandon got together to hang with the boys or maybe they all went to Gil's and let the kids run wild there for 3 hrs.

It's actually kind of stunning to me that Whit NEVER brings her kids out to stores, restaurants, their own store etc. NOT EVEN THE YOUNGEST. You know the BOY they desperately prayed for who is still likely breastfeeding and is probably no more than 3 mos old!? You could ditch the older ones under the guise of - oh this is for grownups you'll be bored - and bring the infant esp if Carlin and Josie are bringing their kid and Josie usually brings both bc Ithink Kelton views watching his girls as "babysitting" and only does it when he must - which is not for Josie's socializing. 

Whit and Carlin and Evan are definitely trying to live a life they never got to live bc they married at 21, 21 and prob like ~24 for Evan. They want to act all fundie wild and crazy - staying out late at each others houses even if it's just playing board games and watching movies; out to dinner all the time; ice cream runs at 10 pm etc. Carlin is constantly bragging about we didn't get home until after midnight bc we were having soo much fun. Z I don't think really cares to be like that but he's so awed by Whit that he just goes with what she wants. I get it - that's how it is in your early-mid 20s. But that's also why most people don't marry at 21 or even if they do, they hold off on kids for a while - so they can have fun, travel, party, just hang out and stay up late without worrying about dragging a kid along or a high risk drs appt in the morning or which kid is going to wake them up at 5 am the next day!?

I mean Carlin and Evan live like college kids. They let gross dishes pile up all week and then do them; or let the trash overflow before they take it out. She constantly IGs about starting her day around 10 am-noon; at least Evan gets out the door at 6-7 am but I think that's only bc his apprentice program requires a start time. It's not a situation that to me screams - yes ready to settle down and make babies yearly. 

Chad, Erin, Bobby, and Tori don't naturally seem like that. I think they all wanted to get married and settle down ASAP with kids and are happy to have evenings be about bible stories, bath time, getting kids to eat dinner, and taking out the trash. I don't get the sense that they feel that they're missing anything by not chilling at others' homes until midnight or running out for ice cream at 10 pm. As much as Tori acted like Carlin when they were in the house together - loud/obnoxious etc. - I'm beginning to think it was just an act to fit in or she has outgrown it somewhat and is more low key IRL now.  

Edited by cereality
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8

Erin has been leaning very heavily into her faith. At first I thought she was staying away from family events because of her pregnancy and Covid, but now I think there's more to it. I think she's totally exasperated with her sisters' antics on social media, and it's very possible she and Chad have some faith-based differences with other members of the family.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, 65mickey said:

What are the sisters doing on social media, scandalous things?  Please tell us? 

They're not doing particularly scandalous things. To the outside world they're just being normal 20-somethings - fast food runs, pedicures, wedding planning, etc. I just think Erin is at a totally different place in her life and wants her social media to focus on faith.

• Love 6
22 minutes ago, IndianPaintbrush said:

They're not doing particularly scandalous things. To the outside world they're just being normal 20-somethings - fast food runs, pedicures, wedding planning, etc. I just think Erin is at a totally different place in her life and wants her social media to focus on faith.

And they are wearing pants! Carlin, Alyssa and Josie post almost every day and only occasionally mention church or their faith. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I saw a You Tube yesterday about Carlin, Katey and KellyJo (maybe one other sister). Cant' remember. What stood out to me is that they all went out to a big sit down breakfast, got pedicures and manicures too. Evan and Travis had pedicures; Evan had a manicure also. I noticed that males gave them theirs. Then Carlin was at a drive-thru to get Layla chicken nuggets before a pediatrician appointment. Was this all in one day because I am still in a quandry as to how they can afford this? KellyJo also was having a pedicure. Sorry, but these young girls are in their early 20s; barely married; drive nice SUVs; nice homes to live in; clothing up the ying yang and that jewelry they wear is real. Those gold chains Carlin wears and her rings are real gold. It does not add up financially to me. Are these couples spending every cent they earn? Aren't they thinking about their futures? This show and their YouTube popularity ($$) won't last forever. I could not afford such things when I was their age. I was newly married, held a full time, benefitted job, and my lawyer husband was also a full time government employee. We were frugal ourselves but we could not ever keep up with these people. I did not have all this real gold jewelry and chains like Carlin, etc. Someone please explain this to me if they know.

• Love 8

There are definitely financial differences at play as well between Chad/Erin (and prob Bobby/Tori and Brandon/Michael) vs. Carlin/Katie/Alyssa/Whit. I think the latter group is absolutely spending every $ that comes in. The housing isn't actually all that nice for Carlin or Katie. Carlin lives in a tiny rental cottage no bigger than Erin but it just doesn't seem that way bc it isn't packed with 4 kids. And Katie's fiance bought a tiny very old rancher in NJ that he's gutting and it too will be packed once they have more than 2 kids (Alyssa and Whit have bigger homes but their husbands take out mortgages and then gut renovate the homes - with renovations being of varying quality).

But yeah I do think every $ that comes in the door is spent and a lot of the showy stuff - meals out; jewelry; shopping; constant mani/pedis and fancy hair salons - - comes from the wives' extra income - so the boutique (which may or may not last) + the Youtube video/insta income/show income (which certainly won't last for the rest of their lives as there are always new reality starts and old ones are yesterday's news). Even day to day they spend SO much given that these aren't people who are making THAT much - I mean we're not talking dr or lawyer salaries here. Like Carin and Whit are constantly going to the convenient store next door to the boutique to pick up lunch, snacks, and bottled Frappuccinos. Are you seriously making SO much money that it doesn't matter if you drop $10-20 each on junk nearly daily? You really can't make a grocery store run and buy snacks to keep at the business rather than spending $6 each time you want a snack? 

I had looked it up before and YT videos on average make $3-5 per 1000 views. Looking at Carlin's view numbers - in a lame week where she really has no story line she'll get 60k views = $180. In an absolutely newsworthy week she's gotten up to 170k views (like announcing a pregnancy) = $510. If that evens out to say $300/wk on the low end, that's about 15k/yr extra that's coming in. For Alyssa I'd guess it's more like 8-10k/yr as she consistently has less views. So yeah I think that 8k for A&J and 15k for C&E is spent -- that's how they always have the newest phones; both John and Evan are apparently into good electronics; Evan was showing off their $500-700+ robot vacuum and they actually said a bottom line iRobot wasn't going to do. John has openly said more than once that they're SO bad with money and Evan always seems "concerned" about finances talks about how he budgets.

But now Evan is talking about how they want to build a house - and they keep looking at land and McMansions being built. That I'm unclear on how they'd afford given that he's only an apprentice and your wife's variable boutique income and YT income may or may not count for much in qualifying for a mortgage. But I see them being the types who put in 2-5% down or the least they can and paying mortgage insurance bc it lets them have the showy home build they want. If they were wiser they would have saved all of the 15k in YT income for the last 2 yrs and oh look there's another 30k going into the downpayment/closing costs but then how would you show off that you get junk from Amazon daily?

Aside from having different ideas on the meaning of life (which they do - I think the showier couples also have a showier view on faith than the other couples), I also have the sense that Chad/Erin, Bobby/Tori, and Brandon/Michael haven't tried to include themselves in the Whit and Carlin special circle bc they don't want to (or can't) spend $$$ like that. They don't have the same side incomes to begin with so they're mostly all living on husbands' income - Tori entirely; Michaela may make something from her blanket business but I'm not thinking it's 15k/yr. I do think those couples try to save some of what comes in the door. Chad/Erin I think try to save a lot as they intend to (want to) have child yearly AND will only pay cash for a house. Bobby/Tori and Brandon/Michael prob try to save normal amounts to have something in the bank. Bobby/Tori just bought a house and I really don't see Bobby as being dumb enough to put down 2% - it may or may not have been 20% but I'm betting it was a healthy down payment and I can see Brandon doing the same when they buy.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

In one of Carlin's Instagram stories, she showed the snack stash at the boutique, and it was all junk. Candy, pop tarts, sugar cereals, etc. I'm surprised that for as vain as they are about appearance they don't eat a healthier diet. 

It seems like Carlin, Whit, Katie and Kelly are living some quasi sorority girl existence (minus getting White Girl Wasted on weekends). I think Erin is in a settled, quieter phase of life and flitting around like a chicken with her head cut off just isn't her jam (not that I blame her). 

• Love 10
8 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

In one of Carlin's Instagram stories, she showed the snack stash at the boutique, and it was all junk. Candy, pop tarts, sugar cereals, etc. I'm surprised that for as vain as they are about appearance they don't eat a healthier diet. 

It seems like Carlin, Whit, Katie and Kelly are living some quasi sorority girl existence (minus getting White Girl Wasted on weekends). I think Erin is in a settled, quieter phase of life and flitting around like a chicken with her head cut off just isn't her jam (not that I blame her). 

I do think Kelly is LOVING living this life with them. All the stuff she probably wanted to do when she was young but never did bc she got married right after college and had Z and then a train of kids pretty quick and money was super tight.

I think eating all that junk works for them for now because they are young with fast metabolisms AND I think they don't eat regular meals, so they get junk calories daily + 1 fast food type meal maybe every other day and with that meal I can see the girls not eating the fries or sharing the meal with their kid etc. bc they know it's unhealthy. I think that still keeps them under calorie requirements. I'm sure they're not getting required nutrition eating no fruits and vegetables, but in your 20s you can get away with that as many/most people do in college etc. It only catches up to you in your later 30s/40s if you're lucky - earlier 30s if you're less lucky.

I mean they are vain - Carlin and Katie should take a look at Kelly. The woman is enormous - if that's not what they want for the future, maybe start cutting back the chick fil a.

And I was kind of stunned to see Carlin giving the kid chicken nuggets to eat at the drs office. First that's gross - I mean sitting on a drs. table - it's not exactly the cleanest environment!? I know drs. offices are trying to keep things clean but just think of how many other kids have sat on that table in just diapers and yep given your kid food that she drops on the table, picks up and eats. And way to show to the dr that you feed your kid junk. I mean all drs know that all kids eat chicken nuggets and other fried junk but must you demonstrate it by having them smell it and see the box when they enter?

• Love 5

Carlin wastes $$ on silly things too, one video was where Evan was ordering a pizza because the dinner she tried to cook was inedible. Apparently at the last minute she and Katie decided to make a roast dinner in an Instant Pot. So they ordered home delivery of the ingredients, which Evan explained was extra. But neither Carlin or Katie knows about slow cooking so meat was ruined. They also did not know how to make mashed potatoes or boxed macaroni and cheese, so that was ruined too. It was all very bizarre. So KJ isn’t much of a cooking teacher just like Meechelle. So there are major differences in the lifestyles of the Bates girls.

• Useful 5
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, ozziemom said:

Carlin wastes $$ on silly things too, one video was where Evan was ordering a pizza because the dinner she tried to cook was inedible. Apparently at the last minute she and Katie decided to make a roast dinner in an Instant Pot. So they ordered home delivery of the ingredients, which Evan explained was extra. But neither Carlin or Katie knows about slow cooking so meat was ruined. They also did not know how to make mashed potatoes or boxed macaroni and cheese, so that was ruined too. It was all very bizarre. So KJ isn’t much of a cooking teacher just like Meechelle. So there are major differences in the lifestyles of the Bates girls.

Lol. I can so picture this. Roast beef for 3, potatoes, mac and cheese, and the other spices, milk/cream for potatoes that they needed - could not be less than say $25, so more like $30-35 with immediate home delivery as I'm sure this was all last minute and then throw it all out and spend $15 on pizza. So yep $50 on dinner on a random Tuesday night, yep that's normal when you're an apprentice with a wife cobbling together income from social media and her store. 

And kudos on the home training Kelly. They couldn't save boxed mac and cheese?? There are directions on the box? Or potatoes - like if you don't know how to turn them into real mashed potatoes, you can't throw them in the oven and bake them and then add cheese, butter, salt, pepper etc. and eat them as smashed potatoes? Even the roast, who is going to throw out meat costing at least $15?? If the instant pot didn't work, all you really need to worry about it cooking it safely even if it doesn't turn out as an actual roast? Like you can't throw some more spices on that and throw it in the oven for the rest of the night and then slice it up for sandwiches the rest of the week and if it's dry, throw some mayo/cheese on the sandwich? I'm not saying they had to eat any of this that night and feed it to Katie (though having Katie visit is hardly like having the queen of england) - but most normal people just starting out would at least salvage the food and eat it in different forms for other meals, not just toss it??

And as more time has gone by and they aren't force to live together and act like each others' besties, I think the judgments between sisters have grown. Like Erin who can cook and Michaela who always cooked would hear this story and both be like OMG what morons - M may not express it but I can see some judgment coming from Erin about how Carlin isn't a good wife bc she can't cook dinner if she heard and then the distance grows bc Carlin thinks she's perfect and likely hates anyone criticizing her.

Frankly for as close as this family acts like they are - in most families a young couple starting out who ran into trouble with this would call a mom or sister who'd talk them thru on the phone either how to salvage the dinner or how to at least cook the food and eat it in other ways later. Guess they're not as close as they act . . . .

• Love 8
7 hours ago, cereality said:

I do think Kelly is LOVING living this life with them. All the stuff she probably wanted to do when she was young but never did bc she got married right after college and had Z and then a train of kids pretty quick and money was super tight.

I think eating all that junk works for them for now because they are young with fast metabolisms AND I think they don't eat regular meals, so they get junk calories daily + 1 fast food type meal maybe every other day and with that meal I can see the girls not eating the fries or sharing the meal with their kid etc. bc they know it's unhealthy. I think that still keeps them under calorie requirements. I'm sure they're not getting required nutrition eating no fruits and vegetables, but in your 20s you can get away with that as many/most people do in college etc. It only catches up to you in your later 30s/40s if you're lucky - earlier 30s if you're less lucky.

I mean they are vain - Carlin and Katie should take a look at Kelly. The woman is enormous - if that's not what they want for the future, maybe start cutting back the chick fil a.

And I was kind of stunned to see Carlin giving the kid chicken nuggets to eat at the drs office. First that's gross - I mean sitting on a drs. table - it's not exactly the cleanest environment!? I know drs. offices are trying to keep things clean but just think of how many other kids have sat on that table in just diapers and yep given your kid food that she drops on the table, picks up and eats. And way to show to the dr that you feed your kid junk. I mean all drs know that all kids eat chicken nuggets and other fried junk but must you demonstrate it by having them smell it and see the box when they enter?

Glad I wasn't the only one who thought her gnawing on chicken nugs at the doctor office was gross.  Feel sorry for any of the doctor and staff.  Couldn't imagine being a doctor and wasting my time explaining anything to ding dong Carlin.

The whole not knowing how to cook and follow directions is also ridiculous.  Such a waste.  They seem to think its funny to be stupid.  

Edited by So unbelievable
  • Love 6

OMG, how could Carlin bring chicken nuggets of any food of this type in to a doctor's office? That is just gross. Why didn't the staff tell her that this is not allowed. It should not be allowed IMO. This is a medical office, not a cafeteria.

This makes me wonder about the quality of care Layla is receiving from her doctor. Who is it?

About the married childrens' finances...I thought they all were brought up with the Gothard-approved method of being frugal, no real debt, etc? If this was such a doctrine for the Bates family, how could their children seemingly just throw it out the window? As headships, why aren't their husbands putting their foot down, so to speak, and stop this insane spending? As time is going by, I am liking the Bates daughters less and less. They are immature show offs.

• Love 6

I don’t think the jewelry Carlin and Josie wear is real gold- it’s from an online boutique called Made by Mary.  It’s gold filled.  Good quality costume jewelry but definitely not 14k.

Also, I think they get free merchandise from the online boutiques they promote on their Instagram pages.  Josie has shown herself unboxing boxes of baby items sent to her by various boutiques.  So in addition to the income from You Tube they get a lot of free stuff. I am betting all of the makeup / skincare products they promote are free to them too.

Yes, there is a ton of money spent on food and drinks at fast food places, and they probably could budget better but there is a lot of free stuff.

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Useful 1
  • Love 9

To these young women acting silly and carrying on the way they do is the way  a lot of teenages  act. These young women were raised to conform to such strict standards and kept away from the outside world where people live a far differnt way of life from the way they were raised.  So when they get married at say 19 and they realize that they no longer have to dress in homemade jumpers that go down to the ground or out of thrift store bargain bins and can actually wear pants (horrors!) they go a little crazy. So what. I don't see where they are doing anything so awful. No one here knows anything about their finances, how much money they paid for a house or how much money they have in the bank. Alyssa and Josie's husbands probably have very good incomes. When Evan finishes his electrician apprenticeship he will also have a good income.  Carlin, Whitney and Josie also work. If Tori and Erin choose not to work that's their business. 

• Love 4

I actually thoroughly support the young women in the Bates family going a bit crazy with ice cream dates, shenanigans, and other harmless "fun" (eye roll at their definition of fun). They had a shitty childhood in a cult, and they deserve to have some fun.

BUT don't get fucking pregnant on your honeymoon. The husbands should have insisted on contraception, so they could have fun sexy times for a few years before popping out kids. I'll give Jinger and Jeremy props for doing that.

And secondly, if the kids are here, and you want a break from them to enjoy yourself and have a break, that's totally warranted! But enroll them in daycare, kindergarten, school, FFS. Give the children a chance to socialise, to learn and play with educators who care. Don't just dump small children with the nearest warm body (i.e your teenage siblings)

Edited by Gweilo
  • Love 15

Why is it sooo offensive to observe that certain siblings are living large yet it's ok to say - stop risking your health to having more babies; stop making your existing kids have the burden of praying for new babies? After all they're not doing anything wrong having kid after kid even if it's one high risk pregnancy after the next or burdening Carson with praying for a brother, it's a personal choice.

You can accept it or not but certain siblings are living large. I'm not saying it's wrong - a huge % of America lives beyond its means. But they don't seem to get that they're living large on income that is temporary - their fame comes from the show, which gives them followers for IG and YT and buyers from their boutique. Guess what the show isn't going to last 20 more years; if it goes away in 1 yr or 5, all those other revenue sources go away too as it takes people one second to forget their favorite reality tv people and jump onto the next batch of reality stars. Think about how many has beens there are from American Idol, the Bachelor, the Voice etc. -- and those are shows with tens of millions of viewers on network, not 100k views on a low ranked cable channel; when they post videos at the height of their fame, they aren't getting 60k views, they are getting millions -- I wouldn't be doing backflips over a few hundred dollars a week from 60k views. Just like I don't think John or Evan make SUCH great $$ -- I mean YMMV but those types of tradesmen tend to make 60k-110k -- a respectable living but this isn't 1990, 100k isn't what it used to be and these people are setting up lives with 8-10 mouths to feed, not families of 4. 

And no none of us have seen their paychecks or bank accounts but it's JOHN that has said "we're really bad with money" in more than 1 video; it's EVAN that has said "I'm a young father, I'm worried about money" and also talks about 2 for 1 fast food deals and budgeting apps. I mean if money is no object, why are they saying those things?

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

All I have to add is …Katie is stunning…the prettiest of all the sisters..Katie has a classic look that is going to age well…and slowly Alyssa is turning into a caricature of herself..she needs help with those eyebrows and the plastic looking make up she is using..

• Love 5

I think we all have tried to make sense of the income the Bates and Duggar families have/had, at one time or another.

Many of us keep looking for zebras when the hoof beats are actually horses. In other words, IMO, these reality shows are way more lucrative than many of us want to believe.

• Useful 5
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Erin finished her A - Z scripture cards for kids. I believe Lawson was the only Bates that liked her post. It seems only Lawson and Kelly comment on any of her IG posts.

I saw the YouTube video Erin made about the cards, and while I respect the hustle, I find the concept a little ridiculous. If she has to spend that much time correcting "negative" character traits, then her kids are under-stimulated. They don't have a spiritual problem, they have a boredom problem. 

• Love 11

Negative character traits in children that young? Oh please.  I do believe in age appropriate discipline, but a 3 year old wouldn’t understand what a negative character trait even is.
I’m sorry, but this makes me very sad for those little kids.

• Love 13
9 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

Negative character traits in children that young? Oh please.  I do believe in age appropriate discipline, but a 3 year old wouldn’t understand what a negative character trait even is.
I’m sorry, but this makes me very sad for those little kids.

What's even worse is Erin mentioned pride as one of the "bad" qualities. I was like, wtf, they're babies! How can a three, four or five year-old be prideful? 

• Love 10
6 hours ago, IndianPaintbrush said:

I'm not sure how you even explain what pride is to a child. It really doesn't need to be more complicated than learning how to share, take turns, and being kind to others.

Pride is when you feel good about yourself, so don’t do that!

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
On 10/10/2021 at 8:20 PM, BitterApple said:

What's even worse is Erin mentioned pride as one of the "bad" qualities. I was like, wtf, they're babies! How can a three, four or five year-old be prideful? 

Especially since most fundies including the Bates are very prideful!

• Love 10
4 hours ago, floridamom said:

I read a post on another site that Erin is having another girl. Any truth to this?

If she has another girl, please call 911 for me now. I will be hyperventilating on the floor due to excessive laughter.

• LOL 12
15 hours ago, IndianPaintbrush said:

I wonder if they will give the baby another place name that has no significance other than the fact that Erin likes it. London? Madison? Cleveland?

Gender reveal on YouTube, it’s another girl. They’re naming her Finley Marie. It was just Chad and Erin and their kids, very low key and they seemed happy. Not your typical Bates event.

• Useful 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

I liked the low key gender reveal with just their kids opening a box without Kelly or Carlin there squealing or taking away the attention. E&C didn't seem disappointed BUT seems like they have had WEEKS to become resigned to the idea of another girl as E&C she tested and it said girl (can you test for that yourself? I thought they dr does it) and then 5-6 weeks later tested again bc she didn't believe it; so they've clearly been hoping against hope for a month and a half for a boy but at the same time resigning themselves that it probably is a girl.

As for the name - eh but when the options are Harbor, Ireland, Scotland (WTF?), Avonlea, and Brighton - eh you get what you get kid. I do like Brighton but it's a boys name in the UK AND honestly these country hicks don't need a name that fancy.

I too agree this is NOT the last kid that they'll try to have. She's due in Jan. Guaranteed there's another pregnancy announcement by June 2022 (assuming she has some more eggs left in there OR they froze whatever was left).

Did they really need to discuss "a brother for Carson" in that video?? But they are still hype-focused on a brother for Carson, as is Carson because these morons have put it in his head that every boy NEEDS a brother and made him pray for it. I know in the video they say they told him God knows what we need. Uh idiots why didn't you tell him that in the first place -- whether you get brothers or sisters or any more siblings at all is God's will and not something a child needs to worry about, now go play!? But in reality I 100% bet they're telling him -- God isn't saying NO he's saying NOT NOW, you have to KEEP PRAYING/PRAY HARDER . . . . And we'll keep putting mommy in dangerous situations just to see if we can make God change his will to BOY soon. At this point why not just do gender selection (again if there's a few eggs left) and just keep it your little secret??

And damn she has REALLY detached from her family and is all about her little family now. I'm not saying I blame her for wanting to separate from that zoo, but the entire family is in Pa. now hanging out, attending the rehearsal/post rehearsal meal and it doesn't seem like Erin and Chad have arrived yet (they're not in anyone else's pics) and instead she's choosing this time to drop her gender reveal? Though maybe she wants it to drop now bc it'll be less attention on ANOTHER GIRL? 

Edited by cereality
  • Useful 2
  • Love 7
55 minutes ago, cereality said:

it said girl (can you test for that yourself?

I don't know the details, but my cousin and his wife had some sort of blood test? before they got the ultrasound to find out it was a girl. Amniocentesis reveals the gender, but I don't know if Erin would get that.

• Love 3