Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E06: Au Revoir

From tv.com:

Peter joins a dangerous con against the Pink Panthers to help Neal carry out a risky heist; Neal formulates a new plan that will benefit himself as well as the Pink Panthers.

I've watched since the pilot, and I'm not sad to see it go. I hope it's a great ending like Star Trek The Next Generations All Good Things..., but somehow I don't think it will measure up. Which makes me a little sad, because I want to like it.

Of course Neal faked his death.  And Diana's going to DC, so the whole team is split up.

The best things about the episode were Mozzie telling Peter to call him Teddy Winters, and Mozzie giving El and Peter his bear for their son.

• Love 4

Leverage did it better.  

Okay so there are actually a lot of differences really (though, the Leverage team was also basically let go/not chased by the law enforcement guy knowing their whole score) but anyway, still since Neal "died", all I could think of was that either they took the show in a direction far too dark for it's usual tone that I just didn't believe they would go there, or they made a body like Hardison's. And sure enough...

I will say this, even though I kept waiting for Neal to pop up, and didn't rule out the fact Mozzie and/or Peter knew all along, DeKay and Garson did some really good acting.

A lot of lines and references in the beginning felt like "hey, look, history! last episode! history!" Except for the coffee part... because that's possibly my favorite Neal/Peter exchange of the whole series (the "get in the car!!" by Peter still makes me smile.) But I liked the use of the wine bottle, Teddy Winters, and Mozzie giving away the bear.

Edited by Gigi43
  • Love 3

http://tvline.com/2014/12/18/white-collar-neal-fakes-death-series-finale-recap-alternate-ending/

Here's a follow-up with Eastin. I think I like the original ending he had better. At least then I could imagine that Neal chose the FBI. I don't like the idea that he can't change and is inherently "bad." Neal faked his death to keep his loved ones safe from the Panthers, right? So, how does letting them figure out he's still alive fit in? The Panthers are in prison, but that doesn't mean they couldn't get somebody to possibly take out people. Also, I don't know how he could let his "family" go through all that pain and suffering to then find out it wasn't real; I don't know if I could forgive that. Peter is just going to go back to chasing Neal so what was the whole point of the show, if we're right back at the beginning? 

• Love 2

Another thing... when Peter shot Keller, he did it on emotion and to get to Neal, while saving that girl, it wasn't all about saving that person. So did Neal set Peter up to kill Keller? I don't care that Keller is dead, and no, I don't consider Peter a "murderer" , but I do think that's shitty of Neal to use Peter to do the dirty work while playing him. Mozzie ordering a hit was far less shitty than Neal having considered this outcome and decided that was acceptable.

• Love 3

Neal faked his death to keep his loved ones safe from the Panthers, right? So, how does letting them figure out he's still alive fit in? The Panthers are in prison, but that doesn't mean they couldn't get somebody to possibly take out people. Also, I don't know how he could let his "family" go through all that pain and suffering to then find out it wasn't real; I don't know if I could forgive that. Peter is just going to go back to chasing Neal so what was the whole point of the show, if we're right back at the beginning?

But I think only Peter knows, so how can it ever get back to any of the Pink Panthers while they're in prison for life?

ETA: I liked the original (or alternate) ending better, too!

Edited by LotusFlower

Did they honestly think Neal faking his death was a twist we wouldn't see coming? I knew they wouldn't kill of Neal, this isn't Breaking Bad. It was a very predictable ending, which I suppose is better then a terrible ending, it was just kind of boring. 

If this was a call back episode, it's too bad we couldn't see what Alex was up too. Oh, well. I'm happy Neal's finally free. But I doubt he's done with the life.

ETA. From that article,  Neal's hitting the Louvre and Peter's going to go after him. They are right back to where they started. 

Edited by Sakura12

Neal told Mozzie to "grab what he could" and run, so Mozzie should have those bags (that he was pushing in the shopping cart?), but there still could have been more left for Neal. How it was divided is up for question, but I do think Moz got something decent.

Edited by Gigi43

While I think this show has done far better episodes, I actually like the theory behind the ending even if I wasn't as riveted by the execution of the ending.

I think it's realistic.  People change and people stay the same.  Sometimes people do both and I think that's what Neal did.  Over the years, the show has had me buy that Neal does consider Peter, El & Mozzie his family.  But it has also convinced me that Neal will always have a bit of wanderlust.  That's just the way he is. 

So I think this ending was far more fitting than having Neal consider either side of the scale 100%.  Totally embrace the FBI in one alternate ending scenario?  I wouldn't buy it.  Leave primarily to keep stealing and betray Peter?  Also a bit of a stretch after everything he has been through.  But leave to protect those he cares about and later getting the itch to steal?  Yeah, I'm buying that.

Another thing... when Peter shot Keller, he did it on emotion and to get to Neal, while saving that girl, it wasn't all about saving that person. So did Neal set Peter up to kill Keller? I don't care that Keller is dead, and no, I don't consider Peter a "murderer" , but I do think that's shitty of Neal to use Peter to do the dirty work while playing him. Mozzie ordering a hit was far less shitty than Neal having considered this outcome and decided that was acceptable.

Peter didn't kill Keller until Killer pushed his hostage aside, raised his gun and tried to shoot Peter.  Peter was experiencing emotion but the kill wasn't about that.  And I don't think Neal could have predicted that Keller would be killed.  He could have been taken alive. 

• Love 9

I liked the ending.  I just wish we hadn't had to put up with the previous five episodes to get there.  The finale seemed to fit with the spirit and energy of the beginning of the series.  Of course, it leaves a lot of unanswered questions, but WC episodes always do, for me anyway.   The events of the last five minutes were a little rushed for me -- I didn't always understand what Peter was discovering or what he was thinking.   I suppose someday I'll watch it again, but right now I'm just glad it's over.   They ended it in a way that pleased me, and I'd like to leave it at that.  

I don't understand why Peter would go after Neal again.  There's no reason for it, unless just to show him he could, to have a reunion.  Peter has a life he's happy with now.  He's not going to leave Elizabeth and his son and the job he loves to run off chasing Neal, unless of course Neal steals something the FBI would need to chase him for, and I have a feeling Neal will not do that.  Neal gave Peter time to grieve and to become a father and settle into life post-Neal, and now he's gently letting him know the truth, that he's alive and okay and thinking of him.  I think he trusts Peter not to pick up the chase again.  Neal's settled things in America, knows that Peter and Mozzie will be all right, and he needs to build his own life without revisiting the past.  He's always been too much about the past -- now he gets to work on his future.  He's his own man now, and that's all I really wanted for him.  

• Love 7

Here's a follow-up with Eastin. I think I like the original ending he had better. At least then I could imagine that Neal chose the FBI. I don't like the idea that he can't change and is inherently "bad." Neal faked his death to keep his loved ones safe from the Panthers, right? So, how does letting them figure out he's still alive fit in? The Panthers are in prison, but that doesn't mean they couldn't get somebody to possibly take out people. Also, I don't know how he could let his "family" go through all that pain and suffering to then find out it wasn't real; I don't know if I could forgive that. Peter is just going to go back to chasing Neal so what was the whole point of the show, if we're right back at the beginning?

The thing is, until I read that article just now, I had a totally different take on the ending in watching it. I saw it as Peter smiling because he realized his friend was alive after all, and safe in Paris (the hint in the article, telling Peter where he was). And I thought, this time, Peter's not going to chase after him because he really does believe Neal deserved to be free and they both have their own lives now (but at last Peter can stop seeing Neal in every shadow).

I saw it as that it's not going to be like when he got obsessed and followed Neal all the way to the Caribbean to bring him back "home." I saw it as Peter finally getting relief from the grief of losing Neal, but being content with finally letting him go, knowing he was safe and happy elsewhere. I didn't even consider that Peter would go chasing after him as if they were back to square one "cat and mouse," the chase is on. I saw it as Peter was happy with his family time, we saw Mozzie sad but moving on with his life ("back to basics") and Neal could be free with no worry of having to look over his shoulder or that the Panthers would seek retribution against him (I think they'd think his death would be punishment enough - if he's not alive to suffer as they hurt or kill his friends/family, then what's the point in bothering to do it?). 

So to now read that Eastin meant for it to be taken as Peter's back in the game, chasing after Neal all over again... I just find that point of view to be lacking. I appreciate that Peter has always enjoyed the chase, the battle of wits, but to have Neal going full on back to a criminal life, to be chased and risk getting caught or going back to prison again? I just don't see that as a good ending for either character. It's like they've learned nothing and are starting all over, as if they never had all these years together and cases and hard lessons. 

Personally, I'd rather see it the way I did in the moment, that Neal isn't ever going to want or have the perfect "white picket fence" life that the more traditional Peter enjoys, but he's not going to be a full out criminal like he used to either. I could see him traveling and enjoying life out there, having fun, doing whatever his heart desires, and maybe conning some people who deserve it (not unlike the characters from Leverage), but otherwise not indulging in criminal activity. Instead, I could see Neal enjoying life, savoring Paris and the arts and maybe dabbling in creating some work of his own (and on occasion sending Peter hand-made cards and art work to mess with him and subtly say "hi!"). And Peter will enjoy his life with El and baby Neal (*sigh* they had to go there, didn't they? *sigh*), and relish the sparks of occasional intrigue Neal might send his way.

That's how I'm going to see it, anyway. Unless they decide to make a tv movie or something. But I don't like the idea of resetting to square one, so... I'm the viewer, I get to interpret however I want. LOL.

I did find Mozzie's breakdown incredibly moving, and as painful as it was to watch, I think it made sense. Nico has talked about how Neal will never change or have a life truly his own while he has Mozzie the little devil hovering over his shoulder, tempting him with this con idea or that one... so for Neal to completely cut ties and go his own way made sense. Now he can live his own life, on his own terms, rather than as Peter or Mozzie wants. At least he let Peter know that he's actually alive and safe, instead of letting Peter continue to suffer and feel guilt about his death.

One thing I did laugh about was that it took Peter a year to use that key and find the stuff in storage. I was like, "Oh, Peter, really? It took you a year? You're slipping, old man." LOL. But I could hand wave that as him being deeply in grief for a good number of months, and feeling guilty, and probably having to deal with the FBI fallout of everything for a long while as well. (And El having the baby probably distracted him for a while too. *smiles*) But mainly he probably didn't even want to look at that stuff that had been in Neal's possession. He didn't want to face it, because it was too painful to consider. But after a year, and with the gentle nudge of that wine bottle on his doorstep -- which was probably Neal's way of saying, "Partner, you are taking way too long to open up my storage space. I'm going to have to feed you the information, aren't I?" -- Peter finally let things click.

I'm still absorbing the episode. It was generally predictable, though there were moments that really brought me back to Neal and Peter as partners (especially Peter grieving in the hallway, alone), which I always appreciate. I am sorry the white collar team is breaking up, but I liked that Diana reminded Peter she's only 200 miles away (and he told her he'd already googled the exact number) - I have loved his great trust in Diana.

I wonder if I'll rewatch this episode and see more of the plan behind Neal's eyes, in each scene he's in. I definitely saw it in the way he said I love you to June, in the card he gave Mozzie, and in the way he seemed to be taking his time, savoring moments with each person in his life. (I would have loved one more snarky exchange between him and Diana, LOL. They had such a terrific, wicked bond.) That's partly why I see it as him saying goodbye, not "come and chase me all over again." He was saying goodbye but (later) also letting them know he's okay.

So the Queen of Hearts card indicates that Mozzie knows Neal is alive at the "one year later" time frame, but did he know about the con from the start, or was he in the dark, and then figured it out later?

He was extraordinarily grief-striken in that morgue. I'd say he didn't know from the start. But now that Peter knows, I could see Mozzie relishing in telling Peter, "Ha! I figured it out before you did. Once again, we see who has the superior mind."

I don't understand why Peter would go after Neal again.  There's no reason for it, unless just to show him he could, to have a reunion.  Peter has a life he's happy with now.  He's not going to leave Elizabeth and his son and the job he loves to run off chasing Neal, unless of course Neal steals something the FBI would need to chase him for, and I have a feeling Neal will not do that.  Neal gave Peter time to grieve and to become a father and settle into life post-Neal, and now he's gently letting him know the truth, that he's alive and okay and thinking of him.

Or what nico said more succinctly than I did.  *GRIN*

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 15

I stayed until the bitter end. Lame and predictable. I'm glad I can put this show to bed for good.

I hope to see the cast in other projects and never a peep from Eastin again.

• Love 1

I like the way nico and sinkwriter think. I will choose to think the same way; that it was Neal's way of telling Peter I'm okay and you can move on with your life. I do hope that Peter will hint enough to Elizabeth, June, Diana, and Jones that Neal is still alive. I think that core group deserves to know. I do want Mozzie to meet up with Neal in Paris. They have the money to "retire," so it would be nice for them to do that. Although, both of them do get restless so it would be good if they could con bad guys occasionally and get it out of their systems :) 

• Love 3

I'd love for Mozzie to let Neal go. I hope he had a good amount of time to grieve the relationship, and even as he talked with Peter on the street, he seemed quieter, more content to just be on his own. I know Mozzie will never leave the con life, but Neal has always seemed to want more than that, so I hope that Mozzie leaves Neal to travel and do whatever his heart desires, while Mozzie keeps some of that money to be comfortable financially but stays in NYC, working on his own, going "back to basics" as Neal wanted him to do. (Nothing dangerous, just "fun" cons.) He knows Neal's safe, Neal knows Mozzie's safe (and was never part of the Panthers so they won't hurt him), and they can move forward separately, and remember fondly the "good old con days" they had together. But I think it's time for them to part ways, and I think that's why Mozzie was still a little sad, talking with Peter, because he knows at that point that Neal is alive but he knows they probably won't see one another again, not in the way they used to.

That's how I'm going to see it, anyway.  :)

• Love 2

Sinkwriter - That's exactly how I saw it, too. What's the point of Peter's happy, new baby, home by six life if he's going to chase after Neal for the umpteenth time and do it all over again?

The only other thing I think I'm confused by is the money. Are we to assume Mozzie has the two bags of money ($23 million), and Neal took off with none?

• Love 2

The money's definitely an open question. Peter mentioned that $23 million was unaccounted for (after they recaptured Keller's apparent $9 mil?). So I imagine Mozzie has it. But if he found out about Neal being alive at some point during that year, I wonder if he sent some to Neal. Or... if Neal just gave it up and is using whatever he's had stashed away from all the years. 

I was intrigued to see all the stuff he had in that storage unit. I half expected Peter to find the original Raphael that Sarah'd been bitching about all these years. (Then again, didn't he return that back when she was still on the show, in the episode where he ended up running to the Caribbean with Mozzie, or am I remembering wrong?) I wonder if some of that stuff was stolen over the years and he's returned it to Peter, as kind of a 'clean slate' thing. Curious!

• Love 2

I like the way nico and sinkwriter think. I will choose to think the same way; that it was Neal's way of telling Peter I'm okay and you can move on with your life. I do hope that Peter will hint enough to Elizabeth, June, Diana, and Jones that Neal is still alive. I think that core group deserves to know. I do want Mozzie to meet up with Neal in Paris. They have the money to "retire," so it would be nice for them to do that. Although, both of them do get restless so it would be good if they could con bad guys occasionally and get it out of their systems :) 

I hope Peter lets them know too. 

I have mixed feelings about the episode. I'm glad Neal wasn't actually dead, as it would have been too much of a downer to end this show on. But it's weird that the one of the two stars of the show had no lines in the last 15 minutes.

Also, between this and Once Upon a Time, there is a run on baby boys named after dead/presumed dead people named Neal.  

• Love 1

Sinkwriter - That's exactly how I saw it, too. What's the point of Peter's happy, new baby, home by six life if he's going to chase after Neal for the umpteenth time and do it all over again?

I suppose if you want to look at it this way, according to Eastin's POV: if Neal is truly never going to be able to give up being a con man, then Peter has an obsession of his own (chasing after Neal and thriving on that give-and-take, battle of wits, sort of relationship that they've had over the years). So both of them are unable to give up what makes them feel alive and energized in life. It makes sense for their characters in a way, I suppose.

But I still like my own way of thinking about the ending better.  ;)

• Love 3

I personally hope Neal is exploring his own artistic vision.  He told his father he was never able to do that because he didn't know who he was.  Maybe now he does, or is finding out.  I hope he hasn't taken up the criminal life again -- unless he's in some way running his cons strictly to help others, or to right wrongs.   Maybe he and Peter will be able to have a few of those late night phone calls like they did so long ago, or perhaps they can meet on a vacation somewhere.  I think it would be nice if Neal could meet his namesake.    

I was a little disappointed to see Neal in Paris wearing his suit and hat -- I know it's what he's known for, but he has a different life now.  I think I wanted to see him in a more relaxed mode, more comfortable clothes, his hair longer  --   like he was on the island.  He very deliberately shaved the beard and put on the suit and hat on the morning he returned to work at the FBI.  

I don't understand whether Mozzie was supposed to have figured out that Neal was alive, but I hope he doesn't.  I hope Peter doesn't tell him.  If Neal wants to do so, that's fine, but I hope Peter leaves it up to Neal to decide.    I don't want Mozzie chasing Neal down and trying to lure him back to his old life.  Mozzie's having a harder time getting over Neal because Neal was his life.  He had moved in with him and never really considered what Neal wanted or needed  He never listened to Neal.  During that time when Mozzie was plotting to get them to the island, Neal was going through such emotional turmoil and Mozzie never saw it or, if he did, chose to ignore it.  Neal's feelings didn't matter to him.  The night they broke into the Burkes' home, Neal was so torn by what they were doing and Mozzie didn't care about that -- he also didn't mind using his friend Elizabeth for his purposes.  Seeing him in the park running his old con game brought to mind the little boy that he was using to run errands for him on the day he met Neal, bringing that child into the life of a con, too.   There's probably some other kid in that park now who is lost and looking for someone to teach him how to survive -- Mozzie will never find another Neal but I'm sure there are others he can lure into that life to use for his purposes..   Neal left him enough money to get a new start -- a pay-off in a way.  

I thought it was very significant that Neal made sure to tell Peter he was his best friend -- the only one who believed "there was good in me."   I don't think Neal wants to see Mozzie again -- at least not until he is strong enough and secure enough in his new life to resist Mozzie's attempts to pull him backwards.   

As for what Eastin thinks, I wouldn't pay much attention to that . . . not after what he allowed to happen to his characters in S5.   

Edited by nico
  • Love 6

Until I read that post on TVLine I assumed the article about the Louvre's upgraded security system was a hint that Neal was a security consultant in the vein of companies hiring hackers to see if their systems can be beat.  Basically someone who still ran some cons (because he would have had to construct a new identity for himself) but who also used his talents for good. I like that explanation better so that is the one I am going with.

As for Mozzie that card tells me he knows Neal is alive and most likely has for a while.  

Edited by camussie
  • Love 12
I like that explanation better so that is the one I am going with.

That was mine as well. When Neal fired the gun into the dummy and took the bullet, I knew the ending. When season 3 ended, I gave up regular viewing--and didn't look back. Went from charming to boring, the times I looked in.

Small production nit for this ep--baby Neal saw his "Daddy" come home and didn't even glance away from Mozzie for a second much less recognize Peter. Not my experience with 1 year-olds. Not even for Mozzie.

• Love 1

I suppose if you want to look at it this way, according to Eastin's POV: if Neal is truly never going to be able to give up being a con man, then Peter has an obsession of his own (chasing after Neal and thriving on that give-and-take, battle of wits, sort of relationship that they've had over the years). So both of them are unable to give up what makes them feel alive and energized in life. It makes sense for their characters in a way, I suppose.

Sure, but then what was the whole point of the story with Elizabeth and the baby, and all the "I don't want you in peril" and "this baby needs to be your priority" stuff if he's going to resume the ole cat and mouse game again? Nothing wrong with staying at a job that you like and keeps you engaged and energized, but, er, has he discussed it with El yet? If this is Eastin's story and POV, then I would ask him why he pretended to shift Peter's character towards change?

Until I read that post on TVLine I assumed the article about the Louvre's upgraded security system was a hint that Neal was a security consultant in the vein of companies hiring hackers to see if their systems can be beat.  Basically someone who still ran some cons (because he would have had to construct a new identity for himself) but who also used his talents for good. I like that explanation better so that is the one I am going with.

That's what I thought, too (about Neal and the Louvre). And I thought Peter's smile was only about happiness that Neal was alive and pride at the fake-out, not Round Two! or Game On!

I'm really not loving this Eastin interview! Makes me appreciate David Chase's ambiguous ending to The Sopranos, and his total post-show silence.

• Love 4

That's what I thought, too (about Neal and the Louvre). And I thought Peter's smile was only about happiness that Neal was alive and pride at the fake-out, not Round Two! or Game On!

Yep.  Also was that the first time that Mozzie called The Suit, "Peter"?  I loved that moment.

I'm going by what they left us on the screen. That's where I want to see what the author has for the show.  I don't want the author to seem to get two endings for the price of one by pitching something that wasn't shown on the screen.

Edited by pennben
  • Love 3

I didn't believe for a moment that Neal was dead and that lessened the emotional impact of the scenes of Peter and Mozzie grieving (although I did get a bit teary-eyed when Mozzie called Peter by name rather than The Suit ). I kept waiting for the long con to be revealed, which took me out of the moment. I mean, did no one wonder how the EMTs got there when Neal was supposedly left alone in a hidden basement? But the scenes after the one year gap made me feel that all was good for the characters I had come to know and care about, and these days, if the series finale doesn't leave me screaming bad words (I'm looking at you, Lost and Burn Notice), that's enough for me.

• Love 3

What happened onscreen is what happened, and our individual interpretations are valid. If Eastin intended something, he should have put it onscreen. Since he didn't it doesn't matter what he thinks.

• Love 9

Neal faking his death wasn't exactly a surprise. And after season five, I'm sorry for Neal if he considers Peter his  best friend.  Also,  I don't like that he left Mozzie behind; it  was cruel and Mozzie didn't deserve that, after being so loyal to Neal. Although I think Mozzie found  it out later and that's why he left that card for Peter to see it.

So, I didn't love it, but it could have been worse.

Some mixed feelings on this finale... though I am glad to see Neal still alive at the end... I couldn't have handled it to have yet another death to end a series. (though it can work in a few cases, I don't need all my shows to end with a shocking, tragic death) There were a lot of hints, though, that it was a con- at least for the audience, so that made those 10 minutes waiting for the reveal less painful to watch.

I am a little disappointed with this idea that Neal couldn't just be free... and reading the interview, I think I'm going to leave this show with an interpretation sort of somewhere in the middle. I think Neal likes the challenge of being a con, breaking into the unbreakable place, stealing that coveted item. But I've always thought it was more about the challenge vs the actual monetary wealth- even if the money part is a nice bonus. So while I can see the never able to go straight thing... I do think Neal in general wants to be a good person... so breaking into the Louvre just to see if he can- knowing that he can, is one thing... vs swindling people out of money they need... or like others have said- pulling cons on bad guys, I can understand him still doing stuff like that.

As for this idea that Peter is going to resume the game of chase... I could see him unofficially working to track Neal down... but not necessarily because he wants to arrest him or put him back behind bars... but more just to see if he can. If that makes sense? So not in any legal capacity- which Peter shouldn't have any legal right to go after neal in Paris anyway... But he can follow Neal's clues, and maybe even surprise him with a little bit of a 'gotcha' only to share some moments and then both go back to their lives. That way Peter isn't putting himself in more danger or taking away from his home life by much, and Neal isn't in danger of going back to prison. Sort of a compromise where they both bend the rules just a little... since it's fantasy and I can be okay with a little moral ambiguity.

• Love 2

Didn't they say they left it open so fans can interpret it however they want? Either Neal going straight or back the life. Peter happy that his friend is alive or is going to go chasing after him. 

I can see Neal breaking into the Louvre just to see if he can without actually taking anything. Or maybe he should've broken into places and put the stuff he stole back, that would surprise people. 

As for this idea that Peter is going to resume the game of chase... I could see him unofficially working to track Neal down... but not necessarily because he wants to arrest him or put him back behind bars... but more just to see if he can. If that makes sense? So not in any legal capacity- which Peter shouldn't have any legal right to go after neal in Paris anyway... But he can follow Neal's clues, and maybe even surprise him with a little bit of a 'gotcha' only to share some moments and then both go back to their lives. That way Peter isn't putting himself in more danger or taking away from his home life by much, and Neal isn't in danger of going back to prison. Sort of a compromise where they both bend the rules just a little... since it's fantasy and I can be okay with a little moral ambiguity.

This is how I imagine it too. I can't see Peter chasing Neal to throw him in jail again (or maybe I don't want to see that). But I can totally imagine them playing cat and mouse because they love the challenge and it's their game. I'm also going to imagine that Neal is a free man. Like maybe Peter got him the official freedom he deserved after Neal's "death."

As for the show, I was upset Neal let his family grieve for a year, but then figured out he can't hint to anybody that he's still alive. Peter still have to wrap up the Pink Panther case with testimonies and trials and all that jazz. If he knew Neal was alive, that may compromise everything. 

eta: Ha! I love the idea of Neal breaking into museums all over the world to put things back.

Edited by Snow Apple
  • Love 1

Eastin said this in the article (about the original plan he had for the ending of White Collar):

I had a different ending [in which] Peter finally released Neal. This was going to be the moment when Neal has to decide what he’s going to do. And so he walked up to the Flatiron building in New York, and he’s tossing a coin. In one version, the coin lands heads, and he goes to the right and he gets in a limo with Mozzie and they go off to be the greatest criminals ever. And then we’re back with Neal, and he’s standing at that same intersection, tosses the coin and it comes up tails and he goes left and he goes to the FBI. We realize it’s a few years later and Neal’s taken over Peter’s job as head of the White Collar Crime division and he’s now an FBI agent and very happy. And then we come back to Neal, and he’s in that same spot. He tosses the coin and just before it lands, we go to black. We never know which choice he finally made.

I am SO glad he didn't end it that way. I think I would have been really angry. To have Neal leave his decision - to stay a con or not - with the flip of a coin? No real emotional weight to either choice, not even after all he's been through? That would have made me mad, like what's the point of the series, then? If Neal doesn't care one way or another, why should I? (And the idea that by choosing to go straight Neal could become an FBI agent is a little laughable to me. I believe criminals can turn their lives around and use their former 'talents' for good reasons, but I don't think the government would ever allow a former criminal to attain that kind of title. Would they?)

So I'm glad that Eastin chose to go with Tim and Matt's idea instead. It offered interpretations (as we've all commented on here) that leave us more satisfied than a blank screen question mark never to really be answered would have been.

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 2

I knew it was faked from the beginning because there was a whole scene of Neal in the storage locker, "testing" the gun. I knew from that scene that he was setting it all up. That, and the blood that was pouring out was fake looking. 

They should have taken the scene out from him playing with the gun. I know it was supposed to simulate his aim but we all know Neal doesn't kill people.

I was expecting a bit more from the last few minutes. I was hoping that were was one final scene of Neal and Peter, him being chased or Peter acknowledging him in some far distant place. And like most of you I took Peter's smile as a "he's alive, thank god he's alive" but  not, I'm gonna chase him. Peter knows he's out there and that's enough. They can maybe exchange secret messages, that could be fun.

I was surprised Mozzie didn't know right away. I know he's clued in now but I'm still shocked he didn't join him at least soon after but I guess it makes sense to keep him away from all the danger he could be put in.

And totally called the baby would be Neal. They kept saying "the boy" and I was like, just say Neal, we know that's his name.

Overall an enjoyable series but the first few seasons were great. Matt Bomer better come back to a TV show, he's such a good looking guy!

They should have taken the scene out from him playing with the gun. I know it was supposed to simulate his aim but we all know Neal doesn't kill people.

I agree... when they tried to cut to that scene, like we're supposed to believe Neal will kill Keller, I was all, "Seriously? He's going to kill Keller? No way. I know he says he knows how to use a gun and just doesn't like to use one, but I don't believe he'd do it." I suppose there was the tiniest inkling in me that wondered whether he might kill Keller in the moment if it meant saving the people he loves, and that made me wonder what the ultimate payoff for that practice aim scene was going to be. But the majority of me felt like there was no way Neal would be able to do it.

I was expecting a bit more from the last few minutes. I was hoping that were was one final scene of Neal and Peter, him being chased or Peter acknowledging him in some far distant place.

I was hoping for something more, too. I liked Mozzie's despair in that morgue scene, but in contrast I felt like we really didn't spend enough time with Peter and his own grief. And I wanted more of Peter and Neal before everything went down. That's the most important relationship and deserves the most focus.

And totally called the baby would be Neal. They kept saying "the boy" and I was like, just say Neal, we know that's his name.

Haaa. Yeah, I was totally muttering to the TV, "Just say it already, I know you're going to do it."  *sigh*

• Love 1

Leverage did it better.  

Okay so there are actually a lot of differences really (though, the Leverage team was also basically let go/not chased by the law enforcement guy knowing their whole score) but anyway, still since Neal "died", all I could think of was that either they took the show in a direction far too dark for it's usual tone that I just didn't believe they would go there, or they made a body like Hardison's. And sure enough...

That last episode of Leverage killed me.  Especially since John Rogers kept saying the fans were going to hate him for what he wrote--I didn't know what to expect and was guessing through the whole show.

I haven't watched any of this last season of White Collar and, judging by the recaps and comments, I'm guessing I can just wipe them right off my DVR and not be any worse for it.  

I figured out Neil was going to live when he shot the dummy. Also, it's a USA show and I figured they wouldn't actually kill him off.

I loved White Collar, flaws and all. I don't watch USA shows for anything more than fluff fun and I'm glad the show wrapped up with a 'happy ending'.

I interpreted Peter's smile to mean he's happy his friend is alive and in Europe but he isn't going after him.

Au Revoir, White Collar.

• Love 4

I knew it was faked from the beginning because there was a whole scene of Neal in the storage locker, "testing" the gun. I knew from that scene that he was setting it all up. That, and the blood that was pouring out was fake looking. 

OMG - the blood in that scene looked tomato-red! It was so fake looking that I was sure that was the beginning of the con getting exposed - I thought Keller, another con man, was going to laugh and say, ok, Neal, what's the con, because this fake blood is orange!

• Love 2

If there was supposed to be $30 mil ($10 mil in each bag) I'm going to assume Neal took $1 mil from each bag, hence Keller's $9 mil bag. Where they get $23 mil is beyond me unless they got more than $30 mil in the first place... b/c if $9 mil is accounted for, there should only be $21 left, right?

• Love 1

The moment that took me out of the entire show? When Peter finds a bottle of really good wine on the front stoop with no note and (1) doesn't realize immediately it is from Neal and (2) just decides they should open and drink it. I am not an FBI agent and am not normally suspicious, but even I would have stopped a second and wondered whether it was safe.

• Love 11

I didn't read Eastin's interview last night, only now do I know what he said.

And I'm ignoring it (well, I'm going to talk about it, then I'm ignoring it!)

I'm all for the idea some poeple just can't change. But if this means Peter is chasing Neal, that means, ultimately, nothing has changed, so what was the point of the last few years? Peter chased Neal for years, sure, but Neal deserved to be chased, and Peter was in a relationship with a woman who also had a career and he was making his way up the ladder ect. Neal served his time, and Peter has to know that because he's not an idiot. He knows the FBI had kind of screwed with him and he knows how dangerous the Panthers are. Hell, by going after Neal wouldn't that put everyone (including BabyNeal) in real danger?

Also... he knew nobody would believe Neal wasn't dead, but did it anyway? Ooookay. Perhaps if their wasn't a quarter of the show left with the star "dead", it would have been slightly -slightly- more of a question, ala House doing it at the very end, but come on, something had to have been revealed with so much time left no matter who believed it. 

I think I need to watch the Pilot and Need to Know and just not think about this at all. That's my biggest regret with this show, I got into it only via Netflix and plowed through seasons 1 and 2. My first episode ever was Stealing Home when it was new, because I was born into a family of Yankee fandom and was told by a friend I had to watch (and fell in love with Peter's Yankee Love) and even that episode I came to like a bit less after "knowing" the shows history ect.

The moment that took me out of the entire show? When Peter finds a bottle of really good wine on the front stoop with no note and (1) doesn't realize immediately it is from Neal and (2) just decides they should open and drink it. I am not an FBI agent and am not normally suspicious, but even I would have stopped a second and wondered whether it was safe.

I thought that was so weird, too. But I was able to hand-wave it that it happened the same night Mozzie popped by, so maybe Peter associated with him for some random reason. At least he did eventually take note of the bottle.

To end on a positive note, Jeff Eastin got very lucky with this cast. Dekay and Garson carried that entire ending, and it bares repeating, that they were excellent last night, ( I mean no disrespect to Matt Bomer at all, he's great, I'm sure if he had more to do he would have brought it) and I hope they a lot more work for me to watch, like Bomer is clearly headed for because they're just as good.

Edited by Gigi43
  • Love 3

I'm still unsure if the wine bottle was from Neal or Moz. Maybe both? The key number was on the cork so is it Neal giving him a clue? or is is Moz since he left the Queen of Hearts card in the warehouse?

Speaking of the card, I was puzzled with what that was all about until it was spelled out to me in that interview. Oy. Good thing I'm not a criminal because if I ever ask the FBI to release me on an anklet deal, they'd laugh in my face.

• Love 1

I've read complaints that the end was predictable. That's not a problem in a finale, imo. I expected Neal would fake his own death to begin life somewhere else. To me, the path was set a long time ago and, as plot elements that have been foreshadowed should, it happened. To me, that's satisfying. And I'm happy that everyone lived somewhat happily ever after. I have seen more than enough endings that come out of nowhere so the showrunner can play gritty auteur and/or provide shock for the sake of shock.

Thinking of USA shows in particular, I'm glad WC hewed closer to Psych than the fuckedupness of Burn Notice.

Edited by ABay
  • Love 8

Mozzie at most left it via Neal directly asking him too. I don't think he'd think to drop Peter that clue since he wasn't there (he hadn't even seen post-prison Neal yet) when Peter found Neal having found that empty bottle, and nothing but that, from Kate.

Edited by Gigi43
And I'm ignoring it (well, I'm going to talk about it, then I'm ignoring it!)

Thumbs way up to completely ignoring Jeff Eastin.  His interview came across as a complete lack of awareness of the finale and of how Matt has played Neal.  Jeff's finale insists that Neal can only be one thing---flip the coin and he runs the FBI or flip the coin and he's a con man.  In my opinion, Matt has played Neal as both for a long time.  Neal will NEVER be a Suit for the FBI, but neither will he con in the same way that he has before.  He and Moz kept talking about "good people" and "codes."  I definitely think that Neal will con, but I think it's less likely that he'll be willing to con the Amys and the Elizabeths of the world.  I also think he'll con in what he perceives to be a pursuit of a "greater good."

I also completely disagree about the ending being about the chase being on again.  I think Neal was heeding Keller's advice and protecting Peter, Elizabeth, and baby Neal.  At the same time, Neal is also telling Peter, "I can't be completely like you, but I've changed enough that you and your family matter to me."  I didn't interpret the ending as any sort of "love of a chase" on either of their parts.

I mentioned this on another site...I'm all for a White Collar movie...just let Matt and Tim (not Jeff) handle the script.

Jeff will get points for me for one important thing...no dreadful Sara in S6.  I never liked her.

Edited by Ohmo
  • Love 7

If there was supposed to be $30 mil ($10 mil in each bag) I'm going to assume Neal took $1 mil from each bag, hence Keller's $9 mil bag. Where they get $23 mil is beyond me unless they got more than $30 mil in the first place... b/c if $9 mil is accounted for, there should only be $21 left, right?

I thought that Peter said they recovered $23 million total and $9 million of that was in Keller's bag.

That math works out to $7 million that was MIA.