Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: a.k.a. 'The Meet Market'

• Start Topic

Daxx -- I was just going through the old fanfic thread last night and kept seeing your name -- and others -- pop up! We'll need to start another one of those to get us through the hiatus or this summer will not be pretty!

Lurker and infrequent poster, but been on TwoP for years. My day isn't complete without checking into the Blogs there, so really happy to find there's a new home for everyone.

I spend far more time on Tumblr now but once we are in hiatus again I will most likely be posting more here. Yes, I read a lot of FF and we will need a place to share! If you are on Tumblr I am daxx04 just like on TWOP.

Yet another TWoP refugee...although under a new name. I've been Deirbhile over there, but here I'm Amerilla, just to merge my "anonymous" personas under one heading. Sad to see our old home go, but nice to have so quickly found a new one!

• Love 2

Hello! I was an infrequent poster on TwoP but I'm introducing myself as now I'm here. Although I don't get a lot of opportunities to post, I was on TwoP daily and am so glad to see so many posters over here to continue discussions!

I was the same name on TwoP - hi everyone'

Edited by PaperScissors

Add one more person to the list of former lurkers with intentions to post a lot more here.  I am so glad that so many of the TWoP community are moving over as I am a daily forum reader and OUAT would not be the same without all of your opinions on it!!

Same here, mustbekarma. I'm Dani-Ellie everywhere, haha. It also makes me sad to see my teeny tiny post count. I shall have to post more to make up for it. :)

Edited by Dani-Ellie

I'm only mustbekarma on anonymous fun stuff. I use different usernames for "grown-up, important" stuff. I try not to use the same usernames for financial and medical stuff, as well as different passwords. It just kills me that people use "password." I taught some adult ed basic computer classes at the career center (vocational high school) I work at, and I had people test passwords on how secure is my password dot net. After realizing theirs could be cracked in seconds, I got people to take passwords seriously. Personally, I prefer the passwords that took at least 100 million years to break.

Edited by mustbekarma

I'm here too!!!!! From TWOP!!!!

Welcome back, Crimson Belle! I've missed you.

I can't believe I didn't think of this for the thread title. face.palm.

Can we change the name of the thread? To "I found you. I will always find you."???

I'm from TWoP too. I had to change my name though. I was S7W9C2.

Ok, so now I have to ask, what was the S7W9C2 in reference to, if you don't mind.

• Love 1

I'm from TWoP. Although, I first found TWoP a few years ago while living in the UK, it's been only in the past 2 months I've "rediscovered" it. While I'm an avid poster on some UK based programme sights (Gallifrey Base, and it's defunct predecessor, e.g.), 've always been a lurker on TWoP simply enjoying the to and fro of the forums and the recaps. I don't watch tele for its own sake, so there are just a handful of shows I find worth my time: Once Upon A Time and The Walking Dead foremost.

With the abrupt close of TWoP, it reminded me that perhaps we lurkers should show ourselves more often and encourage the life blood of websites like these. So here I am.

I was also a lurker of TWOP for around 2 years, since I found the site during the last season of Desperate Housewives. Strangely enough, I had just registered at TWOP the past week and was trying to wait for the right moment to post for the first time when I read the site was closing. I decided I might as well show myself now!

I mostly follow Once Upon a Time, American Idol, and Downton Abbey, but I occasionally read about other shows. I was definitely going to miss the discussions and spoilers for Once Upon a Time most of all. Maybe now I can contribute to them.

Long-time lurker at TWoP, infrequent poster. My previous display name was epcarie. I freaked out a bit when I saw that TWoP was shutting down, but now I don't have to worry :) I was getting tired of TWoP anyway; the forum didn't have the best layout and the mods were incredibly overbearing. I'm looking forward to posting here!

Wow, Emma. That was quite the change -- and will be much easier to remember. :)

I know right? I regretted that last name from the start. :)

Ok, so now I have to ask, what was the S7W9C2 in reference to, if you don't mind.

That name came about because I was pissy. I lurked at TWoP for a while but decided to finally sign up. First board ever for me. Every name I tried with a variation of numbers was taken. It was like my 12th time trying and I said if anyone has this one I'm done trying. The reason I was signing up was for Prison Break and crushing on Sarah Wayne Callies at the time. So it's her initials and the numbers they stand for on the phone.

Ok, you can laugh now. I do. :)

• Love 2

Hm. I'd been having trouble getting on the TWoP boards for awhile (not banned, just weirdness) so I've just been reading peoples' posts. At least that didn't change.  I kind of feel like I should rush around and start threads for favorite characters lest someone more snarkier than I gives them a name due to their current exasperation (yes Snow, I'm looking at you). At least people aren't mad at Charming right now…Right?

Longtime lurker/sometimes poster at TWoP.  I've lurked on the OUAT boards for a while, and always appreciated the sense of community you all had, and how well thought out and respectful the analysis of my favorite show was.  Now I get to be a part of it here, so thank you!  Same username, just hope to become more active here!

That name came about because I was pissy. I lurked at TWoP for a while but decided to finally sign up. First board ever for me. Every name I tried with a variation of numbers was taken. It was like my 12th time trying and I said if anyone has this one I'm done trying. The reason I was signing up was for Prison Break and crushing on Sarah Wayne Callies at the time. So it's her initials and the numbers they stand for on the phone.

Ok, you can laugh now. I do. :)

No.. just wow - would never have been able to guess that. (And knowing it earlier may have made it easier to remember the letters/numbers if I ever responded to you...)

I am here. So apparently my join date to TWOP was 25 Oct 2002.  I know I discovered it because of Alias which began in 2001 and I'm certain I lurked in the year before I joined, though I didn't start reading the recaps until Regina/Erin was doing them.

It's nice to see that the migration seems to be rapid and there's tons of us here already.  Especially since I'm quite certain I had never heard of this site before yesterday.

I never had an official warning or banning at TWOP. But does anyone remember when TWOP allowed us the forum posters to make our own banner ads for the top of the page advertising our favorite show? It was an awesome time period. The snark, the in jokes, the names. I just remember one ALIAS ad went something like, "SpyBarbie, SpyMommy, SpyDaddy. Everything's cooler with SPY in front of it. So sit your Spyself on your Spycouch and watch our SpyShow."  The banner ads could be linked to basically a "101" page a person might create just to prime people on the show if they decided they might click your ad and check it out.

I mention this because this was the only time I got a verbal warning from Erin/Regina (the TWOP recapper so awesome she got to do commentary on one episode of the Alias DVDs. Legendary!)  was because I read the 101 primer and noticed an error and rather snippily posted something about "Who is in charge of making sure these primers are ACCURATE?"  And Erin told me to watch my tone and that you catch more flies with honey. It wasn't an official warning but I remember being on eggshells for weeks, scared that I was going to get a real warning and get banned. Mostly banned, since I definitely felt like back in the day, you basically were going to wake up banned before you ever got a warning. 

Meanwhile, who do we have to talk to so Cindy can do commentary on the next Once Upon a Time Bluray set hmm?

Edited by Aliasscape
  • Love 1

I looked up my join date at TWOP to be 28 Dec 2002.  I wish I remembered which show led me to join and in which forum I made my first posts.  I think it might have been "Smallville", though I did read the "Alias" recaps as well.  

But does anyone remember when TWOP allowed us the forum posters to make our own banner ads for the top of the page advertising our favorite show?

I remember the infamous Tara/Willow banner and the banner made in response to it, I think it said "Stop Whining" or something like that. I was a Spike fan at the time so I stayed far away from the TWoP Buffy forums.  InsertWordHere wasn't my first screenname on TWoP. I wasn't banned like some of you troublemakers :) but I had to sign up again because I kept having issues logging in to the old one. Honestly, except for some comments on the Lost and Desperate Housewives boards, I mostly lurked until OUaT came along.

My favorite tradition when I started watching a show was to go to TWoP and read the episode threads for that show. I did it with BSG when I watched it in full after it had ended its tv run. I did it with Doctor Who, which was in its fourth series when I watched episode 1.1. Actually, TWoP's Rec Room Motivators are what made me want to watch Doctor Who, so I'll always be grateful to TWoP for that alone. I recently rewatched Farscape in its entirety and then I went and checked out the old Farscape thread. Man, I'm going to miss those forums.

My favorite tradition when I started watching a show was to go to TWoP and read the episode threads for that show. I did it with BSG when I watched it in full after it had ended its tv run. I did it with Doctor Who, which was in its fourth series when I watched episode 1.1. Actually, TWoP's Rec Room Motivators are what made me want to watch Doctor Who, so I'll always be grateful to TWoP for that alone. I recently rewatched Farscape in its entirety and then I went and checked out the old Farscape thread. Man, I'm going to miss those forums.

Going to miss the forums and the recaps. It's pop culture and internet history! At least they should make an archive of it available online. Not just the user and TV fan but the social scientist in me with some interest in anthropology and cultural study cringes.

I was very recent joining -TWoP.  I lurked for many years, all through Smallville and BSG.  I posted about Smallville at Kryptonsite and TV.com but found them unsatisfactory for OUAT so moved to TWoP and broke down and signed up. :)

Hi, all! I lurked at TWoP for AGES and finally decided to sign up and contribute. Such a shame that TWoP is finally shutting down! Am glad that I discovered this site, though. Looking forward to OUaT discussions with you all. :)

Hi everybody! Longtime TWoP lurker who first came about the site reading Demian's Charmed recaps. (Yes, in case anyone noticed my username contains the "Halliwell" from that show and I continue to use it proudly. If you didn't, I just told you and I regret nothing. LOL). I signed up at TWoP but always lurked, and then got back to read Game of Thrones, True Blood and Gossip Girl recaps (because Jacob's recaps are amazing, if a little... disorienting, at times).

I've found myself fanboying like there's no tomorrow over both Onces (Wonderland decided to get amazing just in time to be unnoticedly cancelled, natch) and Cindy's recaps on the main show kept me coming back and waiting for it giddily every Friday. (I even tweeted at her when the site shutdown was announced, despite my total lack of participation before). Hope I can be more of a noticeable and constructive presence this time around :)

ETA: silly grammar/ortograph faux pas continue to be the death of me. Also, I signed in through my Twitter account, so, apologies if it bothers you that I'm perennially sticking my tongue out at you all (as long as my avatar remains the same, of course).

Edited by samhalliwell

Hello, I'm a very recent lurker, discovered TWoP just a month ago... And since, I've become addicted to your discussions!

I never signed up because sooner or later my theories were expressed by someone and better written! And because I usually prefer to ask question, and those were also asked by someone else, sooner or later!

Anyway, as said before, it can't hurt to say HI! and Thank You! for all the ideas!

• Love 2

On my mother's third or so of re-watching the series, she reveals to me that she's just now getting why Dr. Hopper's dog was named Pongo.

Oh, mom...

LOL, I suppose that's the beuaty of a show like this one. Some new little detail for anyone upon watch or rewatch. Heh.

Hey all!  Decided I'd better make the jump with everyone over here.  I've lurked over on TWoP for many a month, and posted a little (mostly in the fanfic threads).  Glad we're all getting the chance to set up shop over here!  I would absolutely despair if I were unable to read all the insightful, snarky, and hilarious posts from you guys ;)

Hello! I'm yet another twop lurker migrating to greener pastures. You probably won't see a post from me again as I prefer to read what others are saying (and as someone has already said, people generally articulate what I'm thinking, only better than I would, so that let's me off the hook I suppose. Speaking of Hook...huba huba!!! Anywho, thanks for the entertainment :). I look forward to more!!

• Love 1

On my mother's third or so of re-watching the series, she reveals to me that she's just now getting why Dr. Hopper's dog was named Pongo.

Oh, mom...

:-)  Too funny.  Speaking of 101 Dalmatians and goofs, people working on The Little Mermaid had no clue that Ben Wright (who was the voice of Grimsby) had provided the voice of Roger.  I believe someone made some comment about TLM being his first Disney role, and he had to correct them.  Whoops.  To bring this back to OUAT, Cruella De Vil would be fun villain to see.  

Edited by Turtle Wexler

Can we still cuss here? One of my favorite parts of TWoP was that we were treated like adults and if that meant we wanted to say fuck, we could. Literally every single other forum I frequent blocks them. Not that I cuss that often, just curious.

Edited by Dejajeva

I was reading this article about the closing of TWOP and this is a quote in the article which struck me:

"And certainly, social media has usurped the utility of sites like...Television Without Pity. In a world where I can go on Twitter while Scandal is on and not only see what the audience is tweeting, but also what the cast and showrunner are saying as the show unfolds, I don’t want to wait two or three days for the TWoP recap, or scroll through hundreds of comments in a forum."

http://www.buzzfeed.com/doree/why-the-closing-of-television-without-pity-and-daily-candy-m

How can anyone actually discuss a show like "Once Upon a Time" on Twitter with the word limit there, other than tweet stuff like "OMG, Rumple escaped!".  Scrolling through hundreds of comments?  Without reading them or what?  

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 3

How can anyone actually discuss a show like "Once Upon a Time" on Twitter with the word limit there, other than tweet stuff like "OMG, Rumple escaped!".  Scrolling through hundreds of comments?  Without reading them or what?  

It just goes to show how social media has changed what everyone expects from... anything, really. The fact that the people involved with a tv show can interact with fans as the show airs makes for a remarkable entertainment experience, but even then I think the TWoP recap style can be enriched further by it. I suppose deep-thought, lenghty written recaps with a single train of thought are not more appealing to current viewers than the numerous stream of consciousness posts that can be found on Twitter or Tumblr.

How can anyone actually discuss a show like "Once Upon a Time" on Twitter...?

This is an absolutely horrifying thought, but then I think Twitter is evil. While I think it's cool that fans can engage with actors and showrunners, the hate and trolling that goes on is appalling. Twitter recap of "The Tower" - David's drugged, Snow's stupid, CS gets weird, Rapunzel!, WW is creepy & Rumpel runs.

• Love 2

KAOS Agent, ICAM. I secretly loathe Twitter because I kind of think it's single-handedly driving a stake into grammatical rules that were already having a hard time! And you're right--what some people feel free to tweet to others is just utterly appalling.

• Love 1

I love Twitter, but even though I love to be spoiled by all of my tv here, I avoid twitter during my favorite shows because it's so infuriating to see a thousand tweets that say things like "Squee! This scene!".

Instead, I come straight to twop, and now, here. Because I don't watch the show right at 8pm: instead I watch it after TWD, I'd much rather read what happened by you guys.

A question for tonight: this forum seems to be much less strict about episode threads than TWoP. So what do we want to do? I actually liked the rule about not posting until the episode completes its US East Coast airing. That way people don't come in at 9pm and have to sort through pages of pre-show comments or one-sentence mid-show comments that may be outdated once the show is over. Plus, I think any pre-show speculation can easily fit in the spoilers or non-spoiler speculation threads.

Anyways, thought I would ask since tonight is the first airing with the new board.

sharky, that's a good question. I wasn't sure if the mods were going to open a thread (they didn't last week), so I went ahead and put one up just in case. (Mods, if you want to start your own thread for the episode, please feel free to delete mine!) However, as I say in that thread, I do think we should follow the TWOP rule of not posting until the ep has finished its initial airing. I like that rule a lot, as it prevents the "twitter phenomenon."

That way people don't come in at 9pm and have to sort through pages of pre-show comments or one-sentence mid-show comments that may be outdated once the show is over. Plus, I think any pre-show speculation can easily fit in the spoilers or non-spoiler speculation threads.

I agree that it's a little annoying to read one-sentence mid-show comments, or running commentaries that might go completely off-topic.  If someone watches with commercial breaks, I can see why they would be bored during the commercials and want to comment right away.  

I suppose if people want to make comments while watching, perhaps they can start a During-Show Comments Thread, and every week, they can use the same thread to post during-show reactions.  Then, it's all in one thread so the forum won't be cluttered with double the number of episode threads every week.  If one of those are started, there should be a spoiler tag on it.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1

That is the thing, Twitter is commenting, not discussing, and perhaps a lot of people are satisfied with that. Or confuse commenting with discussing.

To me Twitter is a great tool to share information fast, breaking news, interesting things, funny stuff, good for brainstorming and yes for commenting, and particular of the snarky offhanded kind. I just created an additional account just for the latter (more general snark, not so much TV, yet). I share and enjoy a lot of what others share. If it comes to discussion though, well, one can discover there is something eventually worth to discuss or there is something you want to discuss with someone, but then it's time to find a better place to discuss, something like a forum, or maybe a blog or email or whatever allows to write out thought, write more than 140 signs. Sadly sometimes it looks like a lot of people on the internet (and not just there) are more interested in shouting out their opinions than in actually discussing something. That's what I loved about TWoP (and thankfully without all the more and more annoying gif nuisance there, which pops up in so many other places) and a few other show forums, there is discussion.That is what I hope to find here too.

And about snarky recaps are thought to be out of fashion : I still love to read a recap some days later, revisit the episode and watch it through the eyes of another person in a way - if it's not reduced to some boring factual retelling but something with individual charm. But I am an internet dinosaur, old fashioned and perhaps cursed to look for some internet dino nursing home corner on the web soon.

A big hello and welcome to everybody. Glad to see you all here :)

• Love 1

Another TWOP refugee here, I joined back when it was Mighty Big TV, user name was Adeema.  Got hell from Demian on the Charmed boards for referencing the alternate reality after dog shit being flung on one of the episodes, which was one of the eps he really hated.

I mostly lurked, I got a new computer in the fall of 2013 and since the old computer had "remembered" my TWOP password for me, I didn't have too.  With the new computer I couldn't log into TWOP and when trying to reset my password, I never received an email from TWOP, so I was back to lurking.

I read the Once boards almost daily and as a West Coaster, I read the episode thread prior to watching the show, that's the ultimate spoiler.

Sad to see TWOP shutting down and sadder still for the mods and recappers who I hope will soon find new and better jobs.

Hope this forum works out for everyone and I'm grateful that it is here.

• Love 1