Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: a.k.a. 'The Meet Market'

• Start Topic

I was helping a friend to garden and we had extra apples we don't know what to do with.

I considered giving some apples to my new standoffish neighbor, but I'm afraid of unintentionally giving a Regina-esque vibe.  I start feeling evil the moment I pick up an apple because of this show, LOL.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 4
On 10/8/2018 at 6:08 PM, Camera One said:

I was helping a friend to garden and we had extra apples we don't know what to do with.

I considered giving some apples to my new standoffish neighbor, but I'm afraid of unintentionally giving a Regina-esque vibe.  I start feeling evil the moment I pick up an apple because of this show, LOL.

When I was a kid we made witches heads out of shriveled apples.

It's too bad no one watched this show at the end.  Now I can't get away with coat hangers as Halloween decorations.  My coven would be taken as a very special red neck Halloween or an invitation to hang toilet paper.

• Love 2

I'd suggest a food costume.  Lasagna specifically.  But it would probably just end up with you having crypt sex with Garfield and then hatching a plan to sacrifice Odie to curse the Charmings and Nermal to live in eternal Mondays.

• Love 2

@daxx Huh?  Is the universe trying to befuddle my brain with 'Craig'?  Yesterday someone was randomly discussing some Craig person who appears to be relevant in DC TV social media.  Now you are getting books from the guy? place?

In other news, I was happy to find out yesterday that they are doing eight new episodes of Veronica Mars.  Apparently there is something that would convince me to get a Hulu subscription.  Who knew?

• Love 1

My neighborhood association is having a fall carnival tomorrow night, and they just announced that among the food trucks that will be there, there will be a beignet truck. I may have to go over there. Maybe they'll have little cups of beignet samples sitting around. I wonder if the cook is sometimes a control freak who won't let anyone else help and sometimes drafts reluctant friends, forcing them to help her. I wonder if the beignet truck is an old van confiscated in a drug bust.

• Love 4

Anybody familiar with Chicago? I'm going to be there on business next month, and I'll have a (very) little bit of free time. Any suggestions? I've already bought a ticket for a Second City show. I'd love to eat at Girl & the Goat since I'm a Top Chef fan, but 1) there are no reservations available for when I'm there, and 2) it's not near where I'm staying so getting there and back would take up too much time.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Souris said:

Anybody familiar with Chicago? I'm going to be there on business next month, and I'll have a (very) little bit of free time. Any suggestions?

I haven't done much touristy stuff when it wasn't summer, but one thing I've really enjoyed was the river/lake boat tour. There are enclosed cabins on the boats, so it's year-round. There's a specific architecture tour that's supposed to be good, but I found the general tour to be really interesting. There are also evening cruises you can get with dinner and live music, but I haven't done that so don't know how good it is. I have done a nighttime tour cruise (it was a private party, but they did the usual tour route), and that's also cool, where you see the city lights and skyline. That was in August, though, so I don't know how pleasant (or not) that would be in colder weather or when you have to stay inside the cabin instead of out on deck.

Depending on what part of town you're in, I know of a couple of restaurants my Chicago friends take me to. On a trip this summer, they took me to a neighborhood Italian place in River North that was really good (but nothing fancy). One of my friends went to high school with the owner, who is the grandson of the founder. Then there's a pizza place in a building associated with the St. Valentine's Day Massacre. The pizza is done kind of like a pot pie, with the crust on top, and then at the table they flip it over and it becomes a deep-dish pizza. I'd have to look up the names of these places because I'm usually being dragged around and not aware of where I actually am.

If it's a clear day, it's fun to have drinks at the bar on top of the Hancock Center. The drinks are pricey, but it's the sort of thing where that's essentially an admission fee to a cool space.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Souris said:

Anybody familiar with Chicago? I'm going to be there on business next month, and I'll have a (very) little bit of free time. Any suggestions? I've already bought a ticket for a Second City show. I'd love to eat at Girl & the Goat since I'm a Top Chef fan, but 1) there are no reservations available for when I'm there, and 2) it's not near where I'm staying so getting there and back would take up too much time.

Do the Chicago Architecture Foundation Riverboat Tour. It is fantastic. I've been on it I think four times and I learn something new each time. It'll be cold this time of year, but wrap up warm and you'll be fine. Also, if you like art museums the Art Institute is brilliant and has lots of famous paintings. Michigan Avenue for shopping, Lou Malnati's for pizza. All of this is pretty touristy, but if you've only got a bit of free time I think hitting some tourist spots is a pretty good way to spend it. 

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Souris said:

If you like museums, I would definitely check out the Art Institute of Chicago. Its got tons of great art, and is just a nice place to take a walk. There is also the Field Museum, Museum of Contemporary Art, and The Museum of Science and Industry. It might be a bit cold, but I also always love hitting up the Magnificent Mile, and Millennium Park. 

There is also the Robin House, a Frank Lloyd Wright house, the Lincoln Zoo (I always like going to Zoos in colder weather), and I always stop by Billy Goat Tavern, which is kind of underground so you have to look for the entrance, but its cheap, yummy, and a Chicago legend. 

• Love 1

Thank y'all for the suggestions! There's so much I want to do and soooooo little time, I know I'll barely scratch the surface. I've been trying to decide between a walking tour, where I'll get to go into some of the buildings, and a boat tour, where I'll see them from outside but might freeze my butt off. I'll probably only have time for one or the other. Since it's the off-season, there are fewer times and tours to choose from, unfortunately, so that is making it more difficult to fit things in. I think I'll have to choose between the Art Institute and the Field Museum -- I'm leaning toward the latter, because I'm mad at the former for not having their Rosettis on display at the moment, LOL. And I do love me some Egyptian antiquities and fossils. I'm also planning to go to the Driehaus Museum, because I love Gilded Age stuff.

Would you believe that out of ALL the hotels in Chicago, the one I booked is the only one still affected by the hotel workers strike that's been going on since September??? Thankfully my reservation is cancelable, and I have another cancelable reservation in backup in case they don't settle the strike.

• Love 1

Both Art Institute and Field are awesome so you can't go wrong with either one. But Art is right downtown and you may need to Uber to Field. Their Egyptian stuff is pretty cool though. :)

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Souris said:

I'm mad at the former for not having their Rosettis on display at the moment, LOL.

The last time I was at the Art Institute, I searched high and low for American Gothic, only to discover that it wasn't on display at the moment. On tour, or something. It's frustrating. 

• Love 1

Art Institute isn't a thing for when you just have a little bit of free time. It's an all-day kind of thing if you want to see even a good cross-section of it. It's awfully expensive and crowded for just running in for a few minutes and seeing the main things. That's why it took me about 20 years worth of trips to Chicago to finally make it there, and I did it on this last trip when I went on vacation and didn't have anything else I had to schedule it around.

• Love 1