Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: a.k.a. 'The Meet Market'

• Start Topic

Hello! None of you know me from TWoP, because I discovered it a short time before it was shut down, and therefore never bothered registering there. But I did lurk quite a bit for the short time I was able, and I found a lot of the discussion quite interesting. I'm looking forward to being able to participate in some of it, this time around.

• Love 2

Welcome, FanaticalWriter. Glad you de-lurked. Thanks, WalkSoftly. Also, everyone, I feel like my grief killed the thread. Please resume your usual natter!

I'll start. Sad parts of the week aside, my son's prom and graduation were great. Last night, we watched his "Moving On" video that some parents (who are better than I) put together, when they were "graduating" from elementary school. My word, his life has flown by like I was cursed and transported to Storybrooke, and held in stasis for 28 (well, 18) years. I had this infant and now he's a man. Suddenly, I empathize much more with Snow.

How was everyone's weekend? Are you all getting this heat and humidity? I was looking forward to a few weeks of 60 degree weather, but it looks like that's not happening?

Are you having a hard time adjusting to TWoP being gone? I still miss it. I'm a creature of habit, so even this slightly different layout can (and does, sometimes) throw me off, but these boards are pretty zippy, and pretty pretty. I'm grateful we have P.TV.

• Love 3

How was everyone's weekend? Are you all getting this heat and humidity? I was looking forward to a few weeks of 60 degree weather, but it looks like that's not happening?

The heat, yes, but humidity is non-existent here in Arizona, so I don't have to put up with that, thankfully.  My sinuses would make my summer a living Hell if I did, especially in July and August!

• Love 1

Oh Cindy, don't say that about your son. I took my little one in for his first haircut this weekend and he looks like an actual boy now! My husband joked that we'll be sending him to college next week.

And I too am enjoying these boards so far. I really think it's the people that make the community so I'm happy with the way the transition is going so far. And as a fanfic fan, it's nice to have that thread on the main board and not off on some creative island by itself.

I'll start. Sad parts of the week aside, my son's prom and graduation were great. Last night, we watched his "Moving On" video that some parents (who are better than I) put together, when they were "graduating" from elementary school. My word, his life has flown by like I was cursed and transported to Storybrooke, and held in stasis for 28 (well, 18) years. I had this infant and now he's a man. Suddenly, I empathize much more with Snow.

Cindy, no matter how old he gets, he'll always be the infant that you held in your arms 18 years ago.  That's just how mothers are (I'm 53, and my own mother still sees me that way!).  And you know something?  He may roll his eyes about it now, but one day, he'll get why you feel that way about him, just as I do with my own mother.

• Love 3
(edited)
The heat, yes, but humidity is non-existent here in Arizona, so I don't have to put up with that, thankfully.  My sinuses would make my summer a living Hell if I did, especially in July and August!

You're right about the sinuses, I tell you what! Although Lee, I have to say, I love when people from Arizona (and similar climes) say, "It's a dry heat," because then I get to say, "So's an oven!"

Oh Cindy, don't say that about your son. I took my little one in for his first haircut this weekend and he looks like an actual boy now! My husband joked that we'll be sending him to college next week.

Sharky, your husband is joking, but then again, he is not. My kids are 18, 15, and 14. My default is to still think of myself as a "new mother," until I stop and get a clue. "It goes so fast," is such a cliche that it needs a stronger word than "cliche" to describe it.

Edited by CindyMcLennan
  • Love 1
(edited)
Are you all getting this heat and humidity?

Heat and humidity, yes, but that's not even what's bothering me. Oh, no. Either I've developed seasonal allergies or the pollen is just particularly awful this year because holy friggin' crap. I've had a scratchy throat since Thursday (not painful enough to interfere with my daily life, just painful enough to be annoying) and I started getting the itchy eyes today. Bought my first box of Allegra (well, generic equivalent because hello, expensive) after work and holy crap, they're horse pills!

I'm not a fan of this allergy business at all, heh. People with seasonal allergies, you have my utmost sympathy.

Edited by Dani-Ellie

I'm liking the weather actually. But had to deal with people not knowing what they're doing at work. Both patrons and one person in particular I'm working with. So I've more or less run through my patience quota for the entire week and its Monday.

On the plus side CBS put up the performances from the Tonys so I can re-watch without fighting with my DVR, which doesn't want to fast-forward. My favorite performances were from Aladdin (which I am seeing a week from Thursday and I'm really excited), If/Then (performed flawlessly by Idina Menzel AKA the famous original Elsa), and A Gentleman's Guide To Love and Murder (which I know nothing about except I now want to see it). Also Game of Thrones was excellent.

I'm not actually from Arizona, Cindy, I've just been living here for the past ten years. I'm originally from Northern Utah.

I did, however, spend 15 years in Canton, Ohio, two years in New York City, and one year in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, so I do know from the double whammy of heat and severe humidity during the summer (as well as bone-chilling temperatures and snow in the winter!).  I'll take 106 in Arizona in June any day, although the pollen count does seem to be up this year; I've been sneezing so much for the past month or so that I could give Sneezy a run for his money!

• Love 1

The weather here in San Diego has been quite nice.  There was one day last week when I got out of work just after lunch and it was 90 degrees and I grumbled and dashed to my car.  But, it has been a consistant low to mid 70's during the day and low 60's/high 50's in the evenings.

I just wish it would rain.  Rain would be nice.  Then my neighbors would stop giving me the stink eye when I water my vegetable garden every day.

When is that not ever true?

Seriously. I lived in LA for five years near the beach. Sunny and 75 everyday. I'm on the East Coast again now and love the sound of rain and the fall leaves but the crazy snow and crazy humidity are a bit much.

I'm an East Coast girl at heart.  I like seasons.  San Diego doesn't really have seasons.  We have summer/late spring weather and sweatshirt (heavy winter coats for the locals) weather.

So while it is almost always nice - minus the occassional unbearably hot days - the monotony is a little old for me.  :)

• Love 1

Are you all getting this heat and humidity?

What is this humidity of which you speak? One bonus of living in the high desert is there's no such thing as humidity. There's also not really such a thing as heat either. Then again, we do deal with cold and snow for ten months out of the year, so there's that. I got a little overly optimistic and planted my garden last week, so of course we had a very hard freeze last night. Even though I had them covered and set up close to the house, I'm not sure my plants are going to make it. 

On an I am a horrible person note, today as I was mowing my lawn I spent about fifteen minutes watching three little kids (they looked about 8, 6 & 4) trying to get their bikes through the serpentine gate on the fence across the street. At one point, the oldest kid's bike got stuck and watching them problem solve how to get it loose made for a highly entertaining time. Since I'm not totally heartless, I finally stopped mowing and went over to help when I saw the kid trying to lift/throw his bike over the fence to his tiny sister. Nothing good could come of that. 

• Love 1

KAOSAgent.. I do not envy you. Our winters are long enough. We've had the occasional heavy frosts well into June, but I don't think that will be this year, thankfully. Our 10 day forecast is upper 60's to mid 70's for highs.. and I don't think there will be much in the way of humidity.  The bike/gate scenario sounds funny.  :)

Cindy, I'm glad your son was able to attend his Prom/graduation events. It's a right of passage event that won't come along again, although, as with all of us throughout life, sometimes really tough choices have to be made. I'm glad he didn't have to make one this week. The highs & lows have got to be tough enough to deal with.

erm.. now I can't recall what else I was going to reply to.. but hello to anyone new and yes, I miss the routine of bringing up the TWoP page after booting up my computer... sigh.

"Cooler by the lake" here.

I do miss TWoP, but mostly because it seems there are fewer posts here than there were there. It's like the end of TWoP is killing threads on an apocalyptic scale the way I used to think my posts had the power to kill single threads 15 years ago.

Cindy, your husband's eulogy made me cry, so I will not be re-reading.

...his life has flown by like I was cursed and transported to Storybrooke, and held in stasis for 28 (well, 18) years. I had this infant and now he's a man. Suddenly, I empathize much more with Snow.

Now I wonder if the writers ever considered the curse to be a metaphor for that sense that we all eventually have of waking up and wondering: How did I get here? Wasn't I there just yesterday?

Gonna go take a migraine pill hoping it will have the bonus effect of my not having another nightmare featuring my boss as the WW. The 1960's Animals' song, "We Gotta Get Outta This Place" is buzzing around my head.

• Love 1

We had an unseasonably cool day in Texas, thanks to rain in the morning, and surprisingly, it's not currently all that humid while still being cool. It has, however, been a very bad allergy season. Generic Allegra is my friend. It prevents the sneezing fits while leaving me moderately conscious, unlike every other allergy drug I've tried. It probably doesn't help that I currently have the windows open, but we get this kind of weather so seldom at this time of year that I'm enjoying it.

I had a rather amazing day because it was apparently Send Money to Shanna Day. I just about brought in enough money to pay living expenses for a year in a single day (which probably means my bank account has been flagged by the feds). I had two business-related payments that I was sort of expecting, but they turned out to be more than four times the amount I was expecting (actually, one was about seven times what I was expecting). One was a payment I was expecting in the amount I was expecting, but I didn't expect it to come the same day as everything else showed up. Mind you, some of this money covers work done up to about a decade ago, so it's a cumulative effect, but it was fun to get it all at once. And then in today's mail I got a refund check from an event I attended where they apparently made enough money to reimburse the program participants, plus a Starbucks gift card as a thank-you for being the Music Lady in the preschool Sunday school department.

I think I may celebrate by finally buying Once Upon a Time on Blu-Ray. I've had a few good years lately, but I went through a few years when I was mostly living on savings, and it's difficult to get used to the idea of not only having money again, but having more money than I used to make in the "good" years. I don't want to go nuts because being frugal is what allowed me to get through those years without having to find a real job and it's a good habit to keep, but I think I can allow myself to have a little fun. I'm also contemplating the idea of an actual vacation with no work component or mandated schedule whatsoever.

• Love 1

Tell you what. I will trade our rain for the sun and heat some of your are getting. Rain is good and all, it helps my garden grow, but we've had a lot of rain in the past two or three weeks, and I'm getting a bit tired of that. Plus, my kids are restless from not being able to go outdoors to play.

(edited)

Hello everybody :)
Emerging from a three days weekend, sunny and hot (around 30C = 86F). Thanks to storms, temperature has finally dropped to 24C (75F).
(I live in Paris, France, so I use Celsius degrees... And metres!)
I had two friends, met in a yoga retreat in Tailand last year, visiting and we had an intense weekend, full of touring the city and a lot of deep talk... I was so exhausted when they left on Sunday afternoon that I slept 10 hours! And it's not something happening that often!

And now, back to work and very demotivated. The assistant left and has not been replaced yet, so I have to do part of her job. Which brings me back, professionally of 20 years... And I'm not happy about it.
Luckily I have a short week, as on Friday I'm in school for all the weekend! (Yep, I went back to school, I want to become a therapist!)

Edited by Alex
  • Love 2

Now I wonder if the writers ever considered the curse to be a metaphor for that sense that we all eventually have of waking up and wondering: How did I get here? Wasn't I there just yesterday?

I love this thought.  It has been occurring often with me lately.  And I hope your migraine is long gone, shapeshifter.

Shanna Marie, in my experience frugal people seldom go nuts with money.  But maybe they should.  Plan that vacation!

And Alex, living in Paris and becoming a therapist and showing yoga friends around, I have to say, sounds a little cool.  I may be a tad envious.  But I won't let it rise to Zelena levels. 

• Love 1

Alex, yay for the metric system.  I'm Canadian so when I moved to the US, I always had to look at a conversion table to know how should dress to go out.  I also realized that it's never as cold as they say it is. 

No envy please!

You can think that living in Paris is great, but it's not. Yes, the city is fantastic, but the people are not: always complaining, never smiling, very unhappy. Bad energy everywhere. And no soul.

And as this is not my country, after 14 years spent here I'm fed up! So, I'm studying hard and working for the studies, in order to go away in a couple of years. England, that's where I'd like to

go!

Sizes for clothes I manage, I had to learn them because I always buy clothes when I travel! And also shoes sizes! I'm definitely a woman! LOL

Near the sea sounds great!

I have read that the Japanese, who idolize Paris/Parisian culture, sometimes suffer a great shock when visiting (modern) Paris, and the shock is so great from what their expectations were, they are hospitalized. It's called the Paris Syndrome. I guess there is a similar Jerusalem Syndrome, but that does not apply to the Japanese specifically.

IIRC the Jerusalem Syndrome is where while traveling in the Holy Land you develop religious preocupations that often lead to extreme behavior.  Someone who went to my school (but not at the same time I did) who was Jewish but not very religious went there, became convinced God had spoken to him and walked into a Mosque with a machine gun.  He killed a lot of people and was killed in turn by the police.  Spoke to some people who knew him and they were really shocked as like I said he wasn't very religious to begin with.

I've traveled in France and think Paris is awesome and the country is beautiful but the French lived up to thier reputation of not being friendly to strangers.  I'll say this about them however, I got the feeling they treated ALL forieners badly.  As opposed to Austria where I felt REALLY REALLY singled out for not being white.  Still gives me the heeby jeebies when I think about it.  As opposed to not having any hard feelings about France.  I think I want to go on tour of Carcosonne in the future. 

Humidity in NY is bad today but the weekend was nice. 

Cindy I can't watch videos at work but will see those tonight and I'm sure it was beautifully worded.  Again my prayers are with your family.

I find going to different show's forums and finding threads upon threads with no posts kind of like walking through a ghost town.  I'm guessing that a lot of them have only just been started by ex Twoppers and that Native Previously People (do we/they have a more concise name like Twoppers?) wheren't interested in those shows.  I bet we've probably increased traffic 3 fold.  I'm glad this show has a lot of people interested in it so it isn't so sparse.  It is funny since we are on hiatus that we seem to be among the more active threads.  (BTW I still haven't figured out how to figure out what shows are being recapped at this show and which aren't.)

With the lack of vigerous posting - It's also a hiatus. There is really only so much one can talk about, discuss and rehash until we get new material.  So, I am not surprised that the new forums are not as lively as we're used to right now.  Come Comic-con, however, I am sure we'll be back to our good form.  :)

• Love 3

I've traveled in France and think Paris is awesome and the country is beautiful but the French lived up to thier reputation of not being friendly to strangers.  I'll say this about them however, I got the feeling they treated ALL forieners badly.  As opposed to Austria where I felt REALLY REALLY singled out for not being white.  Still gives me the heeby jeebies when I think about it.  As opposed to not having any hard feelings about France.  I think I want to go on tour of Carcosonne in the future. 

Really? A lot of people say that about the French, but I've been there a lot and I feel like home, and everyone is quite friendly. Maybe it's because I usually visit the south.

Does anyone here know if there is a way on this forum to tell what show threads have new posts in them?  

On TWOP, when I went to the drama section or the sci-fi section I could always tell what shows were active.  Is there a way to tell that here?  I'm still getting acquainted with the place...  I know you can pull shows into "my shows" or whatever, but I liked being able to just pop in places to see what was going on.  I actually got started watching a few shows that way.

Is there a really obvious thing I'm missing?  

The French are known for not being the most hospitable, nicest people.  A lot of them are a bunch of closeted Marine Le Pen.

That said, Paris, Marseilles and St Tropez are pretty awesome and Louis de Funès is great.  Any place that has a chocolate éclair can't be that bad.

Does anyone here know if there is a way on this forum to tell what show threads have new posts in them?  

In addition to using the My Shows filter select your profile icon (this is the icon to the left of the My Shows button) then 'See New Content'. There are some options to choose content you follow, places you have posted, or you can select specific forums.

I am traumatized. I have three blueberry bushes, and I put netting over them when the berries are ripening so that I will get them instead of the birds. When I came home tonight, there was a dead robin in the netting! Its foot had gotten caught, and it must have broken its own neck trying to free itself. I feel TERRIBLE. Especially as a vegetarian who doesn't even eat birds. Poor thing.

Souris-So sorry to hear that.  I'm not a vegetarian and I'd still say that was traumatic.  Don't blame yourself it was just an accident. 

PTVer sound good to me, thanks.

I was referring to other show's threads as believe it or not we here at OUAT despite being on hiatus are a vertual stampede compared to some shows where I kid you not there are for example EIGHT threads open for discussion of a show with ZERO posts.  ZERO!  I mean not one soul in the whole internet has found and wished to express themselves on those threads.  And it means nobody at PTV cared about those shows till we got here.  It boggles my mind. 

• Love 2

Oh Souris :/ :/ :/ {{{hugs}}}

Frenchies in the South (or North, East and West, for that matters!) are nice. Parisians are not!

As said, there is a strange unhappy energy here. Paris has no (living) soul. It has become merely a job place. People come here because there's work, but they leave as soon as they can.

And I'm not being pessimistic, a lot of my friends think the same and we're quite realist/optimistic!!!

To tell the truth, I escape to England, whenever I can, because in London I breathe... And English are so nice!!!

Vienna and Austrian people are fantastic, I agree!!! I just spent a weekend there and felt really good :)

As for the forums, this one is alive, but sleepy in comparison to when the season is on! But still, you keep me company while I go to work in the morning and come back in the evening :)

• Love 2

I think some of the forum shock here has been for shows that had a single thread at TWOP and now have a whole forum with multiple threads here. We were used to just discussing everything and now have to figure out which thread something goes in, and something that might have been covered in one post now needs to be split into multiple posts in multiple threads, so people may just be paralyzed. I'm that way for a thread that was very active at TWOP but is pretty much frozen here. We'd been doing a re-watch of the whole series because there were some huge revelations made in the latest season finale that change the way you see everything that came before. We started a rewatch thread here and the mods broke it up into episode threads, but in the episode threads you aren't supposed to have spoilers for later episodes, but the whole point of the rewatch was talking about the later episodes and how they changed our perceptions. So everyone seems to have pretty much given up on talking about the rewatch.

In other news, my mom had her surgery this morning to have the kidney removed (I brought this up back on TWOP when she was hospitalized for some other reason and found a growth on her kidney). My dad just reported that everything seems to have gone okay with minimal bleeding. I'm on standby to call my aunts when she gets moved into a room and we get more info. My mom went back and forth on whether she wanted me there and decided that would be more like having "company" and the best thing I could do was serve as the central point of contact for everyone since I'm at home all day.

• Love 2

I think some of the forum shock here has been for shows that had a single thread at TWOP and now have a whole forum with multiple threads here. We were used to just discussing everything and now have to figure out which thread something goes in, and something that might have been covered in one post now needs to be split into multiple posts in multiple threads, so people may just be paralyzed. I'm that way for a thread that was very active at TWOP but is pretty much frozen here. We'd been doing a re-watch of the whole series because there were some huge revelations made in the latest season finale that change the way you see everything that came before. We started a rewatch thread here and the mods broke it up into episode threads, but in the episode threads you aren't supposed to have spoilers for later episodes, but the whole point of the rewatch was talking about the later episodes and how they changed our perceptions. So everyone seems to have pretty much given up on talking about the rewatch.

Things can be pretty fluid here though, so diverging from a threads topic for a bit is OK.  A lot of forums also have a Past/All Episodes Talk or Past/All Seasons Talk topics that can be used.  If you don't see one, you can create one or PM a mod to do it if you don't feel comfortable doing that.  As for the rewatch, if you want you can PM me and let me know which show that was.  We mods have been feeling things out as we go and if someone missed the intent of that rewatch, it can be changed, I'm sure. Once I know the show, I can talk with the mod/mods about it.  Basically, there are no strict rules on how we set things up.  As we get the feel for different forums, they can get changed to meet the needs of those in it.

Glad the surgery went OK!  My thoughts go out for a speedy recovery.  

• Love 1

Really? A lot of people say that about the French, but I've been there a lot and I feel like home, and everyone is quite friendly. Maybe it's because I usually visit the south.

It helps if you've actually bothered to learn something of the language and something about the culture before you go there. Two of the reasons that I had such an enjoyable experience with the locals in Rome on my two visits there a few years ago were that I speak Italian (which absolutely knocked them out, as they're not used to Americans knowing their language) and knew something of the history and culture of the city and the people before I ever set foot there.  In fact, even though I got lost more often than I really care to admit, one of the things that I loved about the Romans was that I could pretty much ask anyone for directions and they not only knew exactly how I could get to where I wanted to go, but were very glad to help me do so, and I think it's because they were pleasantly surprised to meet an American who understood and lived the Italian concept of paese che vai, usanze che trovi (literally "country you go to, customs you find" -- or in other words, "When in Rome, do as the Romans do").

• Love 4

It helps if you've actually bothered to learn something of the language and something about the culture before you go there...

I agree.  I've been to France, including Paris, twice.  Granted, it was long ago (high school trips).  But I never had a problem - people were very nice to me.  But I actually would start my conversations and questions in French.  Inevitably, before I would finish a question they would start speaking English for me and be very helpful. (I'm sure my accent was horrible, but they still understood me and then were accommodating).   However, some of my classmates had all kinds of issues, but they would just walk to up someone (hotel concierge, museum desk) and start talking in English.  And their responses were feigned ignorance and inability to understand them.  They'd get shortchanged at restaurants and stores too - you know because the servers or cash register clerks "couldn't understand" them.  To me, it's just basic politeness.  I was in France, I was going to speak French, and I wasn't going them to expect to bend over backwards trying to accommodate me if I didn't.   I also had some great conversations where I was speaking broken French and they were speaking broken English.  

Of course, not everyone who has had a bad experience fits this bill.  Rude or sullen or whatever negative trait people exist everywhere.  And they remain that way no matter how polite and courteous you are. And sometimes you just find yourself surrounded by them.  And that sucks.  (way too many sentences beginning with "and", but I'm not changing it).

• Love 1

I found that to be true all across Europe, really--that people are actually really quite nice to you if you just make an effort to meet them halfway. My Spanish is far from great, but people in Spain were happily stunned when we were able to carry on a (admittedly limited) conversation in Spanish, or order in Spanish, and often were super nice to us because of it. I also studied abroad in Prague, and while Czech people can be notoriously surly, it was amazing how much better people responded if I at least attempted to speak Czech (and by "speak" I mean form the most basic of basic sentences...I didn't know a lick of Czech before I went over but we were all enrolled in Czech 101 as part of our program, so). Hell, I think in Italy I had to resort to trying some Spanish sometimes (don't speak Italian) and even that garnered some goodwill!

• Love 1
(edited)

I agree with you two. I speak French and everytime I've been to France, I've tried to do what locals do.

I found that to be true all across Europe, really--that people are actually really quite nice to you if you just make an effort to meet them halfway. My Spanish is far from great, but people in Spain were happily stunned when we were able to carry on a (admittedly limited) conversation in Spanish, or order in Spanish, and often were super nice to us because of it.

We are very nice and friendly :-) Edited by RadioGirl27
  • Love 2

shapeshifter, although this isn't what you were saying, your post reminds me of what I felt during (what I think was) the season 2 premiere. When Mary/Snow and David/Charming, met up with Granny/Granny, and Ruby/Red (and the Dwarfs), it put me in mind of what it must be like to meet our people in heaven

Shanna Marie, I hope your mom is doing well. I hope it continues.

Does anyone know if Deirbhile made it to P.TV?

aquarian1, thank you so much for moderating. I know it's a volunteer gig, and I know it's not an easy gig. It's nice to see a familiar name at the helm.

• Love 2

I talked to my mom a little while ago when she called to make sure I'd called my aunts. She was loopy on pain meds, a little crabby, and said she felt like she'd done 100 crunches without having the abs to show for it, so basically she sounds fairly normal, and she was mostly irritated with my brother for him insisting on coming to town to visit her while she was in the hospital even though she insisted she really didn't want visitors while she's in the hospital. But he said he'd feel bad if he didn't visit, and it's all about him. I took the job of calling my mom's sister and sister-in-law (who was my mom's friend before she married my mom's brother, so they're still very much in touch even though my uncle died a few years ago) so my dad wouldn't have to deal with all the family. I figured that was the best way I could contribute that would make life easier. My mom decided to look on the bright side and figures that if my brother and his wife visit while she's in the hospital, they're limited in the amount of time they can spend with her and she doesn't have to play hostess. They'd expect her to cook meals if they visited while she was recuperating at home (they actually show up at around 11 a.m. on Thanksgiving morning and expect to be served a full breakfast).

Does anyone know if Deirbhile made it to P.TV?

I had this vague memory that she'd changed her user name when we all came over here and I was right. I looked at the first couple pages of this thread where everyone was checking in and it seems she changed over to Amerilla, so you should keep a look out for that name if you're looking for her.