Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion: The apple was poisoned?!

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, CCTC said:

Also, the songs have a bit more personality - the Buffy songs largely had a generic 90's pop sound, although the moment Buffy revealed she was in heaven was well-done.

On the other hand, there seemed more of a point to the songs in the Buffy musical. It wasn't just a plot point that they were all singing, but the fact that they were singing made a difference because the songs functioned the way songs often do in musicals, as a way of expressing innermost thoughts, and that meant that the spell that made the characters sing was also making them express things they otherwise wouldn't have. The music was making subtext into text, so we learned things about them and they learned things about each other that otherwise might not have come out -- Spike's feelings for Buffy, how Buffy really felt about being brought back to life, how Xander and Anya really felt about each other, how Giles really felt about working with Buffy. But the songs for this episode all seem to just tell us obvious things we already know -- Regina hates basically everyone, Hook wants revenge, Emma had walls but has learned to overcome them, Zelena was jealous of her sister. It's just taking the main things about the characters and putting them to music. The music may be part of the plot, but there's not really a point to the individual songs, nothing that couldn't have been shown to us or told to us without the music.

This is one time when a retcon might have been called for -- show us something unexpected that was going on deep down inside for these people that we haven't seen previously, didn't know about, and that they'd never have admitted to otherwise, and then have those things matter in the present.

• Love 7
(edited)

I just watched Snowing's number. I can't believe Ginny was so self-conscious, she sounded fantastic. Just goes to show we all have our little insecurities. And Josh was incredible. You could tell he has a musical background, both with his voice and how he carried himself. I could picture him doing the exact same thing on a stage. 

I was kind of dreading this but between Snow and Charming's duet and Hook's number I'm actually getting excited for Sunday ?.

Edited by Socks
  • Love 5
(edited)

It's just taking the main things about the characters and putting them to music. 

I don't understand how the writers and the cast can say this episode is woven into the show's mythology. Yeah, there's a reason for the singing within the context of the story, but little exists beyond that. "The song in your heart" has never been a theme in the show. The singing doesn't add any story value.

One of the recaps mentions that Emma says, "I was never alone!", which is aggravating. It's cheapening the consequences of the decisions made by those around her. She really did grow up alone. You can't just say because she had music in her heart her family was always with her.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 8
1 minute ago, KingOfHearts said:

She really did grow up alone. You can't just say because she music in her heart her family was always with her.

Yeah. It's pissing me off. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, KingOfHearts said:

As for Emma's song, after hearing the whole thing... I adore JMo's singing voice, but the note-for-note remake of the show's theme was extremely distracting. I couldn't tell if Emma was pouring her heart out or the show credits started already. 

When I heard they were doing Emma's theme, I assumed it was this, what played over Emma's apartment in the Pilot episode. I thought that would have worked better. 

I would have loved it if they chose that theme you linked instead because it's my favorite. But I actually think Emma's solo isn't totally a rip off of the credits music. Yes, the notes are the same, but the pacing is a little different and Emma's version has an entirely different feel to it when it's vocals and not the chimes playing. When they said it was the OUAT theme, I kind of had to do a double-take and relisten to the original version because I didn't make the connection right away.

When I heard they were doing Emma's theme, I assumed it was this, what played over Emma's apartment in the Pilot episode.

So did I. That's been Emma's theme throughout the series. There was a sad version before she saved Henry and broke the Curse, there was a triumphant version when she used her magic to bring herself up on the broken bridge when Regina was training her, etc. In fact, this other theme has been more of a Snow theme, I think.

• Love 1
(edited)
3 minutes ago, Noneofyourbusiness said:

So did I. That's been Emma's theme throughout the series. There was a sad version before she saved Henry and broke the Curse, there was a triumphant version when she used her magic to bring herself up on the broken bridge when Regina was training her, etc. In fact, this other theme has been more of a Snow theme, I think.

Indeed. It played when Charming woke up Snow in the first scene, and also when she found him unconscious just before the Curse. Although, it's played on other occasions that weren't Snowing focused, so I've always thought of it as a theme for the show as a whole.

I tend to like songs that are based on themes we've heard before (for example, when they wrote new songs for the Disney musicals like "The Little Mermaid", "The Lion King" and "Beauty and the Beast" based off themes from the score).  But I can see how this one might be a little weird.

Upon listening to Emma's theme again, I recognized Snowing's other theme playing briefly. I thought that was great and fit in really well.

Edited by KingOfHearts
57 minutes ago, KingOfHearts said:

"The song in your heart" has never been a theme in the show. The singing doesn't add any story value.

It would have been really interesting to see the real songs that were in their hearts. Like, I'm imagining that the song Hook would have sung if he were suddenly expressing what was deep down inside might have been about how he had more in common with the Lost Boys than he would have wanted to admit, that Rumple was merely the current target for the anger he'd been carrying around inside, maybe some doubts about whether he can really love without destroying the person he loves, which would have tied back to the wedding. Instead of singing about hating everyone and being the big, bad Evil Queen, what if what the music brought out in Regina was vulnerability? What if she found herself singing about always being second-best to Snow? That would have really pissed her off. She'd have killed anyone who heard it. I don't even see why Zelena needed a musical number, other than the fact that Rebecca Mader can really sell a song. Maybe she should have been in the present day, singing about motherhood or her magic.

• Love 5
38 minutes ago, Shanna Marie said:

It would have been really interesting to see the real songs that were in their hearts. Like, I'm imagining that the song Hook would have sung if he were suddenly expressing what was deep down inside might have been about how he had more in common with the Lost Boys than he would have wanted to admit, that Rumple was merely the current target for the anger he'd been carrying around inside, maybe some doubts about whether he can really love without destroying the person he loves, which would have tied back to the wedding. Instead of singing about hating everyone and being the big, bad Evil Queen, what if what the music brought out in Regina was vulnerability? What if she found herself singing about always being second-best to Snow? That would have really pissed her off. She'd have killed anyone who heard it. I don't even see why Zelena needed a musical number, other than the fact that Rebecca Mader can really sell a song. Maybe she should have been in the present day, singing about motherhood or her magic.

Omg..why weren't you writing this show??!!

Snowing's duet is perfect (is it wrong i can imagine them practicing that song all over their house and driving in the car??)

I could listen to these two sing their way through the entire Disney catalog.

• Love 2

"Revenge Is Gonna Be Mine" and "A Happy Beginning" are the catchiest IMO. I can't get them out of my head, the former especially. Total ear worm. Not sure I'll ever be able to see the word "revenge" without hearing the song in my head.

• Love 6
(edited)
4 hours ago, KingOfHearts said:

I don't understand how the writers and the cast can say this episode is woven into the show's mythology. 

What they mean is it's possible to do retcons using songs.  Music is basically our Magical MacGuffin/Deus-ex-machina of the week.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1

I just listened to the Snowing song and I can't believe they sing that they wish Regina would get an unhappy ending.  Tsk tsk!  Did A&E forget to read over the lyrics for approval?  

• Love 9

Most popular songs on Itunes are Emma's theme, Revenge is Gonna be Mine, and Happy Beginnings.

My favorite out of them all is Happy Beginnings. Emma's Theme and Revenge share 2nd and I have a feeling that once the episode aires Emma's theme will probably be the number one if not number two overall.

I also love Zelena's solo and Snowing duet. They're all honestly really good songs, and I'm kind of shocked.

Josh and Ginny's awesome duet just makes me sad at how criminally underused they've been on this show for years now. 

Also, it's hard for me to consider Emma and Hook's "duet" a real duet when the composers didn't even bother coming up with harmony notes. I think only like 2 seconds are harmony, the rest is either simple octaves or they're singing alone.

• Love 6

I just listened to Snowing's song, Emma's song, and Happy Beginning. 

Snowing song reminded me of the songs from the movie Enchanted. It was wonderful! The video is great too. Those two are a delight!

Emma's song made me want to cry. Poor Emma! JMo has a lovely singing voice. 

A Happy Beginning hasn't really captured me yet. It's a rotten shame Hook and Emma don't get a proper duet. I truly don't get the logic of not having the couple who are getting married sing a duet, especially when it involves the so-called main character of the Show. It certainly fits with the half-ass treatment CS has received this season. 

Hook's Revenge song is still my fav. So good!

• Love 6

I know there is only so much time, but with Josh and Colin having such strong voices (and decent chemistry) it is too bad they did not get an "Agony" type of moment - even if it was just a couple of lines leading into Hook's solo.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Curio said:

Also, it's hard for me to consider Emma and Hook's "duet" a real duet when the composers didn't even bother coming up with harmony notes. I think only like 2 seconds are harmony, the rest is either simple octaves or they're singing alone.

Yeah, that's not a duet, it's a few lines in a group song.

1 hour ago, Rumsy4 said:

Hook's Revenge song is still my fav. So good!

Yeah, it's so fun and catchy. And I really like Zelena's song (yeah, I'm surprided too), it's very Broadway-esque and Rebecca's voice is nice.

The least I say about Lana's "singing", the better.

• Love 2

Don't worry about the lack of CS lines in A Happy Beginning. The actual performance has some awesome CS shots and some great shots of everyone from town. There will be a lot of CS gifs and gifs in general on tumblr from that performance. 

40 minutes ago, KingOfHearts said:

How the heck does the Black Fairy cast the curse if Rumple and Gideon are still alive?

She doesn't need a heart to cast it I think...or maybe she uses her own and it takes her out?

(edited)
2 minutes ago, scenicbyway said:

She doesn't need a heart to cast it I think...or maybe she uses her own and it takes her out?

Yeah, let's be real. The heart of thing you love most hasn't been an actual requirement since S1. There's a gazillion loopholes.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 1

How the heck does the Black Fairy cast the curse if Rumple and Gideon are still alive?

I think she was looking for a loophole to the heart thing in the past in "The Black Fairy". It sounded like all she needed was wolf's bane, which isn't difficult to come by, so too bad for you Henry, Merlin and Felix. S6 has done so much to make all of the basic mythology of the show irrelevant that it wouldn't surprise me if whatever special ingredient she needs is sitting on Rumpel's shop counter. 

• Love 2

I was really surprised by two things:

1.  Jen's voice sounds really young like a little girl or teenage Disney Princess.  I was expected something with more depth.

2.  Lana can't sing...yet they gave her two songs to sing.  Perhaps that's why Bex gets a solo?

Josh and Ginny were awesome.  Apparently Ginny was the only one who didn't think she could sing? 

Bex sounds great.

Colin is my favorite...Revenge and his part in Happy Beginnings is great.

Its sad that Happy Beginnings ends with another curse...

• Love 3
2 hours ago, KAOS Agent said:

I think she was looking for a loophole to the heart thing in the past in "The Black Fairy". It sounded like all she needed was wolf's bane, which isn't difficult to come by, so too bad for you Henry, Merlin and Felix. S6 has done so much to make all of the basic mythology of the show irrelevant that it wouldn't surprise me if whatever special ingredient she needs is sitting on Rumpel's shop counter. 

I've been thinking about this. From the Tuesday spoilers, Rumple is knocked out during the wedding. I have this feeling the BF used his heart.

While I've been watching via Hulu this season, I'm all here for the musical on Sunday night. I downloaded the soundtrack and love Powerful Magic, Revenge, Wicked Always Wins and A Happy Beginning. Next week, I'm going in on a short road trip with my Mom who loves Wicked, so I think I'll surprise her with the soundtrack during the drive.

9 minutes ago, ABitOFluff said:

I've been thinking about this. From the Tuesday spoilers, Rumple is knocked out during the wedding. I have this feeling the BF used his heart.

He was knocked out previously, but he's revived before the wedding. But he's clearly not invited!

16 minutes ago, Souris said:

He was knocked out previously, but he's revived before the wedding. But he's clearly not invited!

Aaargh! I was hoping he was gone for good. I don't remember seeing him in the Final Battle spoilers.

• Love 2
(edited)
22 minutes ago, ABitOFluff said:

I don't remember seeing him in the Final Battle spoilers.

He was seen quite a bit in the Final Battle Part 1 spoilers, working with his mom.  His shop under the new Dark Curse is "Gold & Son Pawnbrokers", and he has a nice little house with Belle.  The last he was seen, he was turning back into his imp form, afterwards all of Robert's filming was kept secret.

Edited by Inquirer

Just saw the "Powerful Magic" clip. Josh and Ginny are wonderful singers! Big laughs at Charming's "I didn't know I sounded so gooooooooood!"

Man, what this show could have been if it had been more fun and less crack fan fiction and endless angst.

• Love 12
(edited)

How about this ending?  In the Final Battle, Gideon stabs Emma and she dies in Snowing and Henry's arms.  Then, The Black Fairy sweeps in and shoots an arrow through Snow, Charming and Henry and they die too.  The Black Fairy then starts the Curse that will make everyone forget and transport them to a new world.  As she laughs, Rumple and Belle walks up and The Black Fairy strangles Belle, who dies.  Rumple in a rage stabs with the dagger through The Black Fairy and then himself, and they both die.  The purple cloud envelopes everyone.  Fade to Black.  This would leave us on a hopeful note going into Season 7, since some of our favorites will still be alive and the current narrative will be wrapped up.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 2

As in the present day? 

He was in imp form in the mines per pictures posted by Adam on Twitter. We know that stuff wasn't a throwback because there was some kid there on a Make a Wish trip and she had her photo taken with all members of the cast in the mines set during the finale filming. All were dressed in Storybrooke attire, but not their wedding clothes, so it appears like maybe they all go to the mines post-street fight? Or else the cast was just nice enough to stop by to meet her where she was watching the scene being filmed.

Unless the scenes of Henry being dropped off at school by his mothers, Zelena with Robin, Snowing at their new house, and CS Sheriffing together in their new married life, aren't in the actual finale, I predict a happy ending for just about everyone.

Belle might go to the dark realm with Gideon to help free all the children. If Gold is alive and no longer an ass she might take him back. I really don't know.

20 hours ago, Curio said:

Josh and Ginny's awesome duet just makes me sad at how criminally underused they've been on this show for years now.

This is the one thing I'll take away from the musical as well. Much of the press/promotion bits they've been involved in over the last couple of days have a "last hurrah" vibe to it as well, which makes it even more obvious how much the show is truly going to change at its very heart if ABC does decide to renew it.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, Curio said:

Preach it!!

Just when i think i couldn't resent the HOURS of screen time wasted on utterly pointless crap, like Merida's centric, more....!

• Love 7
(edited)

I'm the biggest Regina/Evil Queen stan, but I got to agree, Lana can't sing. Her songs are the weakest vocally and lyrically to be honest, not to mention those dance moves - yicks. The Charmings duet REALLY impressed me, it can actually be in a Disney animated classic. And Ginny sounds good. And while I found Hook's voice kinda weak in strength, his song is unbelievably catchy. I can't stop singing Revenge, Revenge, Revenge in my head. The Wicked song is also rather weak lyrically but Becks has a nice voice. The rest are all rather decent. Frankly, the musical part of the episode came out much better they I thought it would.

I haven't watched the show this season at all since the premier, but I may be tempted to binge all, what 19 episodes, to get this musical extravaganza.

Edited by tanita
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, tanita said:

I'm the biggest Regina/Evil Queen stan, but I got to agree, Lana can't sing. Her songs are the weakest vocally and lyrically to be honest, not to mention those dance moves - yicks. The Charmings duet REALLY impressed me, it can actually be in a Disney animated classic. And Ginny sounds good. And while I found Hook's voice kinda weak in strength, his song is unbelievably catchy. I can't stop singing Revenge, Revenge, Revenge in my head. The Wicked song is also rather weak lyrically but Becks has a nice voice. The rest are all rather decent. Frankly, the musical part of the episode came out much better they I thought it would.

I haven't watched the show this season at all since the premier, but I may be tempted to binge all, what 19 episodes, to get this musical extravaganza.

You can skip the bing watch.  Most of the episodes are pretty random.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, tanita said:

54 minutes ago, kitticup said:

You can skip the bing watch.  Most of the episodes are pretty random.

Was just about to say the same thing, @kitticup. Don't bother binge-watching this season because most of the episodes are super random and don't even matter in the grand scheme of things. If anything, you could start at Charming's centric "Murder Most Foul" and do a mini binge of the second half of the season and skip most of the flashbacks. 

• Love 3

I didn't know Jen have such a beautiful voice!!

I adore the cs duets, Emma and snowing songsfor me they really are the best with the revenge one.

Joshua have a real opera voive, he definitely have range. I bought them and wait for the Zelena song it's the only one I haven't heard I am curious about.

It's been a long time I really was not exciting for single episode but I agree that the song could have been a way to learn something deeper about the characters instead again to focus on their trademarks (Hook and his revenge, Emma and her walls...)

Still excited!

20 hours ago, Camera One said:

How about this ending?  In the Final Battle, Gideon stabs Emma and she dies in Snowing and Henry's arms.  Then, The Black Fairy sweeps in and shoots an arrow through Snow, Charming and Henry and they die too.  The Black Fairy then starts the Curse that will make everyone forget and transport them to a new world.  As she laughs, Rumple and Belle walks up and The Black Fairy strangles Belle, who dies.  Rumple in a rage stabs with the dagger through The Black Fairy and then himself, and they both die.  The purple cloud envelopes everyone.  Fade to Black.  This would leave us on a hopeful note going into Season 7, since some of our favorites will still be alive and the current narrative will be wrapped up.

The only (really) good thing about your scenario is that Henry dies....

Otherwise, if this is what happens, I definitely won't be back next season.