Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion: The apple was poisoned?!

• Start Topic

Wow, this thread has really blown up in the 24 hours I didn't check in!  I don't know what to make of the lies/truth interviews except to say it seems like my own process would be to come up with the whoppers on the spot while processing what non-major spoilery truth to throw in last.  Except I think Adam and Eddy are all bullshit, all the time.  Poor Colin, didn't you just want to hug him?

I did like the Elsa and Anna sneak peek, it had a different feel from the Enchanted Forest, and very movie-like, a little Lost-like.  More intriguing that I thought it would be. 

It's hard to say because of the weird way her question was worded. I think that would have flustered him regardless!

It's not like flustering him is that hard. Wow, the blush at that question was impressive. Poor guy. You just know his castmates like to see if they can make him turn bright red.

You know, if Will is the one from David's past, then that re-opens the possibilities for what era the Frozen folks are from, unless some of them have been in Storybrooke all along. Though if they're safe in Storybrooke, that sort of limits the story for Elsa. It would be like happy reunion with her sister, The End. I think they're probably going to have to end up saving Anna.

The TVGuide article worded the spoiler about David's surprising connection in a way that suggests it's with Elsa or Anna (most likely Anna). So while I, personally, wouldn't mind Will, I'm not sure. Anyway, at least he's getting something. Now, if they'd find a way to use James, I'll be a happy camper (I just think that character's potential wasn't used up to its fullest).

For some reason, I don't want Hook to get his hand back. No idea why, maybe it would be way too cheesy? Idk.

• Love 1

There's a difference between  getting his hand back and getting said hand reattached.

Though honestly, given the title of the second episode being "White Out", I'm now paranoid and worried they're somehow writing Ginnifer out and Snow and Charming will get divorced.

• Love 1
I think Colin meant Hook isn't ever going to be a Charming or Snow. Doesn't make him a bad guy though. I could see him throwing Grumpy to the wolves to save Emma, that kind of thing. I would put Hook under chaotic neutral whereas Snow would 100% be lawful good and I think that's what he kind of meant. Not that he would be flip flopping.

That makes sense, and it did occur to me that all the present-day events of 3B occurred after he had his "you can't go back" event and he sill had a lot of rogue to him. It may be a gradual change as he edges back toward good, which makes a lot more sense than an abrupt change, and his morals are probably always going to be a little bit gray. I can also see him using his pirate traits for good in a way that's edgier than the other good guys. I imagine he'd be pretty ruthless about dealing with someone who hurt someone he cared about and he'd be willing to do some rather shady stuff if the lives of people he cared about were on the line. He might not do actual piracy for greed or even for fun anymore, but in a crisis he's more likely to react instinctively like a pirate than like a traditional hero. Which would be nice to see on this show -- a good guy who doesn't go into fits of guilt when something bad happens to a bad guy.

• Love 3

Another new interview from Comic Con.

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/s181/once-upon-a-time/interviews/a586720/once-upon-a-time-stars-talk-season-3-frozen-and-romance.html#~oLxmrkPbG4Q223

One thing that stuck out to me was Adam and Eddy talking about Michael Socha's arrival. So apparently he's not coming in until episode 3 and two points that they made were intriguing -- the fact that he's a former Merry Man, which could cause some issues, and the fact that he's a thief and Emma's a sheriff. Both issues sound intriguing, but how can they explore all that when Frozen is in town too? So to recap: Emma is in a relationship with Hook now, she's in deep crud with Regina for bringing back Marian, she's going to become friends with Elsa, AND she's going to be putting her sheriff skills up against the thief Will Scarlet when she herself was once a thief. I guess no one can complain that this is the Regina Show this season, but are they giving too much to Emma? That just seems like alot to cram into the show.

Also, word is that they're going to start filming around 4pm in Vancouver today but according to tweets, fans won't be able to see much compared to the Steveston filming. But since it's an overnight shoot, we could be waking up to some interesting photos -- or not. Sounds like they also did overnights the last two nights at parks and I haven't seen any of that yet either.

http://38.media.tumblr.com/deeee53127deae5fcb8e963658e7e7c1/tumblr_n9jgv7YgmR1rnf3pxo2_1280.jpg

A & E also said that Emma and Regina would have a conversation about New York before 3B ended, and all we got was a one-liner from Regina, which Emma avoided answering. So, if they spend more than 5 minutes on any of these issues, I'll be happy. ;-)

Georgina Haig ‏@GeorginaHaig 15h

Just met @TylerJacobMoore. Hans. Hans. He is just so Hans. Except he wasn't a murderous prick he was quite nice. #frozen #ouat

• Love 1

They could all just be in one episode. Usually Emma's "arcs"/stories are completed in 2 episodes per season. They usually focus on her in the premiere and the finale episodes. Or maybe Hook gets a new friend too, not just Emma. Hook and Will sound like they could be a funny duo. I know the cast is already bloated but I do wonder why they didn't bother with Anastasia. Too many blondes with Elsa?

And I agree Rumsy, A&E says a lot of crap. I remember them talking about Emma being tempted by dark magic last season. Or the Charmings discussing Neal and jail. Did that ever happen? Or how Rumple was going to struggle with being good or bad back in S2. Never happened either unless you count the 2 scenes in 2x22.

I don't think anybody mentioned it because it wasn't really that interesting, but we did get a tiny thing from the last two days' shoot. Colin, Jen and Josh were confirmed to be filming. There's a picture of Colin with a fan floating around. Nothing spoilery. But I love the Captain Charming Swan teamup :)

(edited)

But since it's an overnight shoot, we could be waking up to some interesting photos -- or not. Sounds like they also did overnights the last two nights at parks and I haven't seen any of that yet either.

Yeah, I don't think many people -- even the diehards -- want to hang around parks in the dark just to catch a glimpse of cast members coming and going from trailers, and I can't blame them. 

For those (like me) who have been getting a bit confused with recent information overload, this is a pretty thorough roundup of recent filming and Comic Con spoilers, with sources.

Interview with Jennifer. I can't get it to play on my iPod though. Anything new or good??

She talks about Hook giving up the ship. Says Emma is "very well aware" of what a deep sacrifice it was for him, although it may come off for a while that she doesn't appreciate it, or might be incapable of moving past her "demons," but we'll eventually see why and "all those puzzle pieces" will start to make sense, but it will take some time. Says "her guard is up for a very good reason, she wants to protect herself and others." Says Emma is "definitely going to spend some time" fighting to keep Regina in a positive place. 

She also says someone was recording her sleeping on the plane on the way to SDCC. 

Edited by retrograde

retrograde, thank you.

I hope this is a good arc for Emma. She deserves one after the whole NY thing.

Filming her while sleeping on the plane? Yikes.

The bit about protecting herself and others sounds like it fits the speculation of her accidentally hurting someone with magic when she was young.

I would be so creeped out if somebody was filming me sleeping on a plane. (Except that would never happen to me, because I cannot sleep for one millisecond on a plane!)

• Love 2

It definitely sounds like something concrete happened in the past. I just hope it is something that feels realistic for the character, and not just shoe-horned in there to delay or disrupt the Emma/Hook relationship, or to draw out the UST for ages. It would have to be something that is an issue in this specific relationship, but wasn't in previous ones.

(edited)

The bit about protecting herself and others sounds like it fits the speculation of her accidentally hurting someone with magic when she was young.

I would be so creeped out if somebody was filming me sleeping on a plane. (Except that would never happen to me, because I cannot sleep for one millisecond on a plane!)

I was thinking magic too. Either that or maybe some kind of abuse. She wouldn't have dealt with those emotions during her one night stands.

The bathroom thing is pretty creepy too. I've heard several celebrities talk about how uncomfortable it is especially when the fan doesn't actually use the bathroom.

Edited by Stuffy

So they are giving Emma the Elsa wonky magic story.  The "protecting others" part gave it away no? I wonder if it's an incident in her past or she hurts her baby brother in the present to make it even more similar to Elsa/Anna or both happens. The present triggers a memory of the past maybe.

Though if they're safe in Storybrooke, that sort of limits the story for Elsa. It would be like happy reunion with her sister, The End. I think they're probably going to have to end up saving Anna.

They they would have to realm hop and figure out a reason to keep Anna and Kristoff from aging and then there's Hans.  Seems like the easiest would be to pretend those 3 have always been in Storybrook?  Maybe the Snow Queen/EM's character is keeping them imprisoned?

That interview was amazing. I definitely think she inadvertently hurt someone in some way. I'm just not sure if it was with magic. If it was magic, it had to be something she only later realized was done with magic.

And yuck to someone filming her when she was sleeping. Boundaries, people.

My mind didn't go to magic. Her exact wording was: "Emma's guard is up for a very reason. She wants to protect herself and others. It's not always just about her concerns about her own heart." This made it sound more emotional than physical to me. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Yeah, before she believed in magic, she probably chalked it up to being one of those people who bad things just seem to happen around. Once she found out she had magic, she probably realized that was the cause of the weird or unfortunate things that happened around her.

Rocky Road to romance? Rocky Road to Dublin?

Edited by Souris

I'm intrigued by Jen's interview. She makes it seem like something drastic happened in her past that she buried away in her mind and wanted to forget about. I would love for them to do a flashback to her 2 years in Tallahassee or maybe she went through a really bad bail-bonds experience?

But poor girl, though. I mean, every guy she's been interested in dies (Graham, Neal, Monkey Boy, adult August might as well be dead...), so I don't blame her for being apprehensive when it comes to Hook. So that, on top of even more emotional baggage from her past? Yikes.

(edited)

Perhaps Rocky Road has to do with the possible Frozen-related ice cream shop? This is also supposed to be Will's first episode, and according to tumblr, Jerome Schwartz wrote three Will-centric episodes for OUaT in Wonderland. Also, this is really reaching, but Will and Alice got stuck in a mallow lake on the spinoff and he made a smores joke.

Thinking about Emma's "baggage" in relation to Hook giving up his ship, it's reminded me of the married man comment she made in season one. I've never really thought there was much to that relationship, but what if that man attempted to leave his wife/family for her? That would be a very hot button issue for Emma, and since things clearly didn't work out, she could feel that Hook will come to regret giving up his ship.

Edited by InsertWordHere

Title for Episode 04 x 03:  "Rocky Road"

I'm with InsertWordHere on this. Maybe we'll run into Sven running the ice cream shop. Wait, Sven is the reindeer. I meant Kristoff.

Too bad it isn't a Swensen's.  :)

• Love 1

It definitely sounds like something concrete happened in the past. I just hope it is something that feels realistic for the character, and not just shoe-horned in there to delay or disrupt the Emma/Hook relationship, or to draw out the UST for ages. It would have to be something that is an issue in this specific relationship, but wasn't in previous ones.

First of all, JMo is the cutest! She is well-articulate, and understands the character she plays so well (even better than A&E, I daresay!). While it does make sense that Emma won't get over a lifetime of issues overnight, I'm not looking forward to seeing Emma act cool towards Hook while he pines after her like a lovesick puppy. They overdid it in 3B; at least I hope the cutting remarks will stop. It's too darn one-sided as it is.

Many of us have speculated that Emma may have suffered childhood abuse, or may have accidentally used magic and freaked people out when she was growing up. But they have waited far too long to introduce this plotline, and it makes it look like they are shoehorning this idea into Season 4 because of the Frozen storyline. 

• Love 1

Very weird episode titles. They don't seem as "magical" as some of the names we've had in the past. 4x01 seems very fitting and whimsical, though.

Maybe I'm just wishing they were less obscure so I could guess the plots easier!

Very weird episode titles. They don't seem as "magical" as some of the names we've had in the past. 4x01 seems very fitting and whimsical, though.

Maybe I'm just wishing they were less obscure so I could guess the plots easier!

I think they probably have double meaning but they  are Frozen related so far.  Rocky Road being ice cream and all.

A Tale of Two Sisters seems like a reference to a Tale of Two Cities. The opening is iconic, but so is the ending. “It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to than I have ever known.” Sydney Carton trades places with a convicted Charles Darnay because of his love for Darnay's wife. Carton sacrifices his life. Sadly, this is the kind of thing that Once would love. So, maybe we are going to get somebody sacrifices themselves by the end of the episode?

"White Out" seems to be referring to a blizzard. It doesn't seem to be very poetic or to have a double meaning. Aren't a couple of characters supposed to be trapped somewhere? Maybe Snow White and Charming or Snow White and The Baby Who Will Not Be Named are trapped out somewhere? They are filming a lot in the woods, so maybe that is where they are lost.

"Rocky Road" seems to refer to the ice cream (so, I'm sure somebody will go in the new store and order it). Rocky Road was the ice cream they ate in the Goonies (and you have to know that Adam and Eddie love that movie). Maybe it's just the ice cream and a relationship hits a rough spot. If it is the episode where Emma comes to a realization, maybe her and Hook are having some relationship problems? Belle is oblivious up to this point (according to stuff Robert leaked), so it can't be them. It could be Robin and Regina or Robin and Marian because goodness knows their road won't be smooth right now.

(edited)

The recent spoilers have me excited for the Frozen arc, but more as a continuation of the movie rather than with regards to OUAT, if that makes any sense. I'm liking all the casting choices, and that short clip makes me think Georgina is going to make a great Elsa! (And as they are going to keep the Trolls in the Show, I think they definitely should have had Olaf as well). I wish they had made this a season-long arc, but the writers are probably incapable and/or unwilling to write sustained in-depth stories anymore. I have some hope that Emma will finally get some decent character development and storylines spread-out through all of 4A, but I'm not holding my breath... 

Edited by Rumsy4
  • Love 1

Sidney's back in the mirror?  In Storybrooke?

Why is Sidney back in the mirror?

Where is this from? The clip they showed at Comic Con showed Sidney as Sidney.

I haven't watched the clips, and am relying on what has been written

Here is the full clip (the last one that I posted just had audio for half of it). Damn. That cell she's kept him in.

I think Sidney needs to join the Belle/Robin support group because he looks so happy to do her a favour after she's kept  him locked in that cell forever. I suppose we won't know where he was during the missing year and I guess Snow's curse plunked him back in his cell (I'm sure that means she's just as evil as Regina).

So, just to be clear...Regina can do white magic without a heart and with some dude in solitary for a crime he did not commit?  Okay, then.  I suppose that she still has a vault full of hearts too.

• Love 1
(edited)

Do we know for sure that scene happens in present day? Couldn't it be a flashback to the time between the first curse breaking and Neverland?

Edited by MaiLuna

Maybe that's a dream Regina has. She wakes up and then realizes she can't do that sort of thing anymore. So she goes and sets Sydney free without asking for any favors. ;-)

• Love 1
(edited)
Maybe that's a dream Regina has. She wakes up and then realizes she can't do that sort of thing anymore. So she goes and sets Sydney free without asking for any favors

Why do I think she's going to sick Sidney on Marian and then have a change of heart at the last moment and save Marian and then everybody will know how wonderful St. Martyr Regina is and Marian will renounce her claim to Robin (and throw in Roland as a bonus) and as the music swells, Robin pulls Regina into a loving hug? Snow will tell everybody what a hero Regina is and Sidney will be returned to his cell.

Have I seen something like this before on the show....?

Whiteout is the name of the score during the climactic sequence in "Frozen."

Interesting.  Or....

Adam & Eddie are under orders to create some synergy with other ABC properties. During a snowstorm in this episode Emma must try to run across a bunch of big red balls, Charming is punched into a pile of mud and Hook clings to a some devilish merry-go round swing until he falls into the soapy water. His leather coat and hook are ruined thus necessitating he get a new outfit and a new fake hand (happily, Rumple has a very realistic looking hand that fits perfectly that Belle will be only too happy to sell him if he just apologizes properly to her this time and pays $99.99 plus shipping). 

Edited by kili
  • Love 2

First of all, JMo is the cutest! She is well-articulate, and understands the character she plays so well (even better than A&E, I daresay!). While it does make sense that Emma won't get over a lifetime of issues overnight, I'm not looking forward to seeing Emma act cool towards Hook while he pines after her like a lovesick puppy. They overdid it in 3B; at least I hope the cutting remarks will stop. It's too darn one-sided as it is.

Really, this sounds too much like 3b for my taste. There are a lot of issues in that possible realationship that affects both of them and to be deal with and yet wr are going back to Emma pushing him away because of her own personal reasons

Many of us have speculated that Emma may have suffered childhood abuse, or may have accidentally used magic and freaked people out when she was growing up. But they have waited far too long to introduce this plotline, and it makes it look like they are shoehorning this idea into Season 4 because of the Frozen storyline.

A&E would never go the abuse route for to reasons. First, because it would make Regina look as the monster she is (she is the reason Emma was in foster care). And, because the possible new fans Frozen is going to bring are little kids and their mothers and that is not the storu they hope they would find.

And of coure they are introducing this story now in season 4 because of Frozen and to drag as much as possible the angst between Emma and Hook.

(edited)

It could very well be a dream but I hope not. I kind of love how there are all these ideas about who is in charge of Storybrooke now yet Regina still has all these hidey-holes that the others don't even know about. I'm all for Regina continuing her redemption path but I would be very sad if she gave up her vault of hearts and secret prison cells. I have no need for her to be THAT redeemed. I also liked that Sidney was still just so happy to see Regina again. Their relationship was always characterized by that kind of brainwashed reverence that the crazy and dynamic can attract and I'm not surprised that hasn't changed.

If this is a dream, maybe what prompts Emma's issues to come back full force is a dream as well. It could be prompted by her keeping Neal alone for a bit for the first time. She doesn't know why she's so afraid until finally her memories come back in a dream.

In all the posters, Storybrooke is iced over. Maybe Elsa freezes Storybrooke at the end of the premiere and that is what White Out is referring to. That would also bring up her wonky magic for her to bond with Emma over if she didn't mean to do it and can't figure out how to reverse it. If the general feeling among the town is 'pissed way the hell off', Emma could sympathize and be her advocate with the town.

A&E would never go the abuse route for to reasons. First, because it would make Regina look as the monster she is (she is the reason Emma was in foster care). And, because the possible new fans Frozen is going to bring are little kids and their mothers and that is not the storu they hope they would find.

I agree that they aren't going near abuse with Emma but I disagree with this. I think they will avoid it because it is too ripe for political and social commentary. Regina pretty clearly had an abusive relationship with her mother and I don't think they've ever shied away from that. Showing the Evil Queen being abused by her awful witch mother in Fairy Tale Land comes across differently than showing a little girl in our world abused while a ward of the state in foster care though. The fact that Once is still considered a family show I think ties in there as well- everyone, children included, know that crazy awful things happen in fairy tales or on this show, the Enchanted Forest. When you show those crazy awful things in our world, it becomes much less of a family show. In order for this show to work, the lens has to be different between the worlds. I feel like Once has struggled with understanding what can be dropped as a throwaway crappy past and what really has to be addressed so I think and hope they will avoid giving Emma a special abuse episode. However it may fit the character, I don't think it would work well on this show and I don't think their choices would help that issue at all.

Edited by l star
  • Love 2

Emma was abused as a child. We know that.  For certain, her emotional needs were neglected and neglect is a passive form of abuse.  Whether anything physical ever occurred, I don't know, but she was definitely emotionally abused. And I'm sorry, but they need to show this visually. Stop having Emma occasionally talk about it and instead show the terror, confusion and sadness of a tiny little girl being thrown back into the system by her foster parents. They didn't have a problem showing young Pinocchio being treated like crap by a foster father, so why not Emma? It's not necessary to show her being slapped around, but they desperately need to give the audience a visual that underscores her past and helps them understand just why Emma has these walls and how damn tall and thick they must be.

That said, if they go the route of Emma is suddenly scared of hurting people with her uncontrollable magic because she lets her walls down, I call foul. Just no. If she had incidents in the past, even if they were repressed memories, wouldn't she have shown flashes of hurting people in the last few years? Hook's nice and all, but she loves Henry a lot, so wouldn't she have gotten angry, sad, scared, protective about things happening to Henry in the last couple of years that would have resulted in these magic issues? Shouldn't she have been worried about possibly hurting Henry? It doesn't make sense that falling for Hook would suddenly bring this up as a problem. Wouldn't she have had the same fears with Neal? How come opening herself up and loving Walsh didn't bring out these magic problems? Not buying it for a second, but I totally see them suddenly making this into a thing for the purpose of a Frozen parallel.  

• Love 1
(edited)

I agree that they aren't going near abuse with Emma but I disagree with this. I think they will avoid it because it is too ripe for political and social commentary. Regina pretty clearly had an abusive relationship with her mother and I don't think they've ever shied away from that. Showing the Evil Queen being abused by her awful witch mother in Fairy Tale Land comes across differently than showing a little girl in our world abused while a ward of the state in foster care though. The fact that Once is still considered a family show I think ties in there as well- everyone, children included, know that crazy awful things happen in fairy tales or on this show, the Enchanted Forest. When you show those crazy awful things in our world, it becomes much less of a family show. In order for this show to work, the lens has to be different between the worlds. I feel like Once has struggled with understanding what can be dropped as a throwaway crappy past and what really has to be addressed so I think and hope they will avoid giving Emma a special abuse episode. However it may fit the character, I don't think it would work well on this show and I don't think their choices would help that issue at all.

Aside that I don't trust the writers to be good enough to handle such things well enough, they show in interviews to me a lack of sensitivity for too many things, but being a family show is not a reason for me to shy away from issue like abuse. We should be more worried to protect kids in real life than to protect them from seeing wrong things on screen. Yes, some things are tough to see, to handle, but that is why parents, adults shouldn't let kids watch such shows alone - after all it's not afternoon program, it's prime time. No-show policy hides things which in real life do happen, and sends only the very wrong message, that such things better should stay hidden and not be talked about, dealt with alone or worst even not at all, while the opposite should be done.

So far we have only hints and hunches, what Emma might have been through, and keeping it to be just hints and hunches and never speak it out and make things clear is IMO the wrong way to go. Emma has emotional issues, is scarred, and what ever happened, better let us know why, show it. Even more so considering how much Woegina we have gotten, we should get a better idea, what being forced away from her parents, growing up without much of any support system did to Emma.

That said, I don't think though after listening to the interview it is about abuse. maybe it was a magic inicdent, Emma struggling with the feeling, if she feels happy, comfortable with someone bad things will happen, and not just to her, but the people she gets close to. Could be a fear, that if she let's go, she could hurt people. Not so new, that she has such fears, but it would fit into Frozen.

Edited by katusch
(edited)

I have entertained the idea that the cute, white, blonde kid didn't get adopted because odd things happened around her. No big displays of magic just little things that put people off. If they're drawing a parallel with Elsa though I hope they keep it to the present day, Emma suddenly remembering she hurting someone with magic  once upon a time would come across as a desperate attempt to link the two of them.

Emma losing control as she fights a confused Elsa would work better imo.    

Edited by patchwork