Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E23: Live Eliminations

• Start Topic

Looking at the favoring of Adam's contestants in the performance order, I wonder if this is supposed to be Adam's consolation prize for Grimmie not winning last year? If so, I guess I can bear it. Seeing Grimmie not even end up the runner-up was worth it all.

• Love 5

I figured Chris got the final spot because he was the actual No. 5 vote-getter. The separation on the iTunes chart between Chris and the other three was pretty big (in fact, he may have been higher up the charts than Craig). I assumed that's why he got the final performance. But ... maybe not.

• Love 1

Hah, I was about to mention how Adam's team got the pimp spot even in the saves, but seems like Carson was going by the order of the combined votes? The order of the top4 announcement mirrors the itunes rank exactly. Adam was also selling his guy really hard, far more than the other two coaches.

Can't believe Luke only got 2% more than Ryan. Definitely NOT based by this week's save performances.

Also, right before they cut to the final commercial break, you can see Adam/Gwen/Blake on their phones.... while Pharrell just kinda sat there. He can't even be bothered to pretend-tweet.

• Love 1

Looking at the favoring of Adam's contestants in the performance order, I wonder if this is supposed to be Adam's consolation prize for Grimmie not winning last year? If so, I guess I can bear it. Seeing Grimmie not even end up the runner-up was worth it all.

I can't imagine Adam cares that much about someone not named Adam. He's been completely eliminated before the finals in the past and I don't think he was given a consolation prize for that. I would bet the producers just like Adam's contestants and they are turning out good performances, comparatively speaking.

I think Adam knows how to package his army of bros. I would much rather having Blake and his country invasion any day, and I don't really like country music.

Also, did anyone bet Pharrell would be eliminated before Gwen? I think Pharrell made some bad picks before getting to the live rounds.

• Love 2

The instant-save performances are always done left-to-right.  Same reason why contestants always have to stand in the same order on stage. Easier for viewers to remember the contestants and which teams each belong to.  

Of tonight's instant-save performances, I liked DaNica and Chris the most. Luke seemed kind of checked out, and Ryan was decent but bland (same as his last two instant-saves). Between DaNica and Chris, I don't mind that Chris moved on given how well he did on itunes last night.

Itunes results as of voting close:

(http://headlineplanet.com/home/2014/12/02/voices-matt-mcandrew-grab-itunes-bonus-damien-taylor-john-follow/)

2 – The Blower’s Daughter – Matt McAndrew – Team Adam

6 – Royals – Taylor John Williams – Team Gwen
7 – Someone Like You – Damien – Team Adam
12 – Sexual Healing – Chris Jamison – Team Adam
14 – Take it Easy – Craig Wayne Boyd – Team Blake
39 – These Dreams – DaNica Shirey – Team Pharrell
52 – Open Arms – Ryan Sill – Team Gwen
57 – Holding Back the Years – Luke Wade – Team Pharrell

• Love 1

From what I could see on Twitter, it wasn't even close--Chris's people were dominating followed by Danica.

I think it was the right outcome.    

I was ready to go all Simon Cowell on Luke.   When he started his song, I thought oh good, surely he's doing a song everyone knows the lyrics to--he can't lose it--and dammit if he didn't clutch again.   I can't sing a note and I know all the words to Stand By Me, for goodness sake.

He needs to work on getting his nerves under control --he's too talented to be messing up like that.

Pharrell can just stand and clap for the rest of the shows.    I guess he could throw his support to Gwen if he has any.

• Love 1

Good Lord I hate that RaeLynn song more than like..any bro country song. By a mile. I hate everything about it. Her voice. The lyrics. The melody. Ugh. 

I actually liked Grimmie's song a lot, but she got screechy..

Luke's save me was weird. He just really fell apart during the lives. Like a Bria Kelly/Matt Schuler fall apart. Pharrell should have kept Taylor Phelan. 

Really sad to see Danica go. I wanted her and Chris in the top five, but I thought Chris outsang her. (Please give him a good song next week Adam. Please. If he had sung that song last night, he wouldn't have needed a save. ) 

Farewell Ryan. 

Edited by mercfan3
  • Love 2

I'm really, really, surprised at how poorly Pharrell did. I guess you can only catch so much "lightning in a bottle" in one year.

I was also surprised that Chris got through on the Twitter Save instead of Danica. I hate the Twitter Save concept. But then again, maybe not so surprised. The demographic that would support Chris probably is completely comfortable with social media...the people that would support Danica, maybe not so much.

Luke....choked again. And what's with all the eye blinking? Would it be because of his glass eye, and possibly his good eye tearing up?

Craig Wayne Boyd....no more coasting next week....time to bring "the heat".

• Love 2

I expected the 3 that went home to be the bottom 3.  I just didn't know who would be in the bottom 4 with them.  Chris deserved to survive based on how much better he did than the others on iTunes.

Now I also think that Adam's team is getting special treatment when it comes to performance order.  That also leads to rating better on iTunes.  Next week all 3 of his singers should sing first before the other 2 singers left.  But that probably will not happen. I do think if you sing later in the show that you do better on iTunes and in the vote.

• Love 1

next week they'll have two songs each, so performance order doesn't matter that much. Essentially, there are a lot more viewers at the 9pm slot than the 8pm slot, so that's why it helps. So long as people perform after 9, they'll be okay. 

• Love 1

I finally figured out who Taylor John W reminds me of - Johnny Depp in " Benny and Joon". The hair, hat and facial expression.

Raelynne' s song was everything I hate about country music. She looked ridiculous in the dress with the tail in the back. But really, God made girls? To hold a man's hand? To give guys a reason to dress up and wash the truck? Is THAT supposed to be what women are for? WTF? Here I am thinking I'm a human being in my own right, when I need to be the one to flirt, to put on a skirt, to keep men in line.

• Love 16

Hasnt aired on the west coast yet but it sounds like several of us called it right on the nose last night: Matt, Taylor, and Craig safe, Damien/Chris on the bubble with Damien safe by votes and Chris winning the instant save. Unsurprisingly, DaNica, Luke, and Ryan all left.

I assume with only 5 next week- as the "semifinals"- they'll be doing two songs each, possibly one cover and one an original as Carson had mentioned a couple of weeks ago. In that case, usually each singer performs once in the first hour, and once in the second, with the order a little mixed up between the two "sets" so it's marginally fair and whomever leads off the night will have a perfomance later in the second hour as well.

next week they'll have two songs each, so performance order doesn't matter that much. Essentially, there are a lot more viewers at the 9pm slot than the 8pm slot, so that's why it helps. So long as people perform after 9, they'll be okay. 

This reminds me of the finale where the Swons performed all of their songs before Danielle had her second performance of the night. I would say there's a good chance the spacing is better next week, but you never know with this show.

• Love 3

I was ready to go all Simon Cowell on Luke.   When he started his song, I thought oh good, surely he's doing a song everyone knows the lyrics to--he can't lose it--and dammit if he didn't clutch again.   .

Not to be stuck on wording but do you mean choking instead of clutch? Being clutch usually implies that someone performed beyond expectation in an intense pressure situation which is the opposite of what Luke has been doing the last few weeks.

Luke doesn't really appear to be the most confident individual and for whatever reason the live shows were his kryptonite. For some reason I think Blake might have been a better fit for him or, if this was another season, Usher in terms of bolstering confidence and helping him get outside of his own head. Pharrell is good at offering supportive words and such but I don't think he knows how to get the most out of a performer. That being said not everyone has *it* and maybe Luke is one of those singers who's extremely limited on what he can do.

Sad that there are no female singers left. Women were really underrepresented from the very beginning of this season and I hope they rectify that with season 8. More balance please because I'm really not looking forward to two hours of Mr. Sexual Healing,  Indie dude of the season, Blake's man crush, 90s Johnny Depp, and Sir Tears a Lot.

But seriously, I do like Damien and I just might start rooting for CWB to win the whole thing because I think it'd kinda be hilarious if Adam somehow lost when he thinks he's got it all locked up.

Edited by Village
  • Love 2

Adam already got a consolation prize with Grimmie. They changed the rules at the last minute to make top 4 a twitter save instead of a straight elimination. Otherwise, Kristen would have gone to the finale over Grimmie.

Hasnt aired on the west coast yet but it sounds like several of us called it right on the nose last night: Matt, Taylor, and Craig safe, Damien/Chris on the bubble with Damien safe by votes and Chris winning the instant save. Unsurprisingly, DaNica, Luke, and Ryan all left.

I assume with only 5 next week- as the "semifinals"- they'll be doing two songs each, possibly one cover and one an original as Carson had mentioned a couple of weeks ago. In that case, usually each singer performs once in the first hour, and once in the second, with the order a little mixed up between the two "sets" so it's marginally fair and whomever leads off the night will have a perfomance later in the second hour as well.

I think it is more likely that Matt, Taylor and Damien were safe and Craig/Chris were on the bubble. Damien did better than Craig and Chris on iTunes. He made the top 10 so his iTunes votes got the multiplier. Chris actually did better than Craig as well. And this isn't the first time that Damien has sold more than Craig and Chris.

I can guess the performance order for next week already:

1. Damien #1

2. Damien #2

3. Craig #1

4. Taylor #1

5. Chris #2

6. Craig #2

7. Matt #1

8. Chris #2

9. Taylor #2

10. Matt #2

They are so clearly favoring Matt and Chris in performance order. Damien is going to be expendable from Team Adam. Expect him to sing Soul Man next week and some b-track from Stevie Wonder.

• Love 4

It'll actually be interesting to see who gets the worse song choice. Damien is going to get a horrible one because Adam knows he can't get three contestants to the finale. Chris will get a horrible one because Adam wants him to be in the finale more than anyone. Matt laughs all the way to the top 10 on itunes. Again. At least they all get their own pick though. 

Damien's song is going to be some random 70s R&B song no one has ever heard of. 

Chris will sing Justin Bieber. 

Edited by mercfan3
  • Love 2

Raelynn's song kinda reinforces everything that bro country is about, gender relations wise. But then again, we have disgusting trash like All About that Bass hitting #1 (As Time says, it encourages "body-positivity as something to fake so that boys will like you.") so it's not too surprising that the song flew up to the 20s on iTunes after the performance exposed the song to millions of viewers tonight.

• Love 2

They are so clearly favoring Matt and Chris in performance order. Damien is going to be expendable from Team Adam. Expect him to sing Soul Man next week and some b-track from Stevie Wonder.

I completely agree that Damien's out next week and he's going to get a laughably bad song. I'm already cracking up thinking about Damien doing Soul Man - although that'd actually be an interesting choice for him and I bet he'd actually do it well - but I think it'll be something that limits him vocally from doing what he does best. Something like "What Becomes of the Broken Hearted" or something that doesn't offer many moments for his voice to soar.

• Love 2

I can guess the performance order for next week already:

1. Damien #1

2. Damien #2

LOL! Poor Damien is gonna get saddled with Ruben's Superstar and Fantasia's Collard Greens and Cornbread.

Chris was only barely ahead of Craig on itunes, but I bet Craig received a lot more votes from other methods, especially since he's Blake's only singer remaining. Neither benefited from the multiplier.

• Love 6

First I thought it was a wax statue of Raelynn performing.  Her makeup would have looked overdone on a corpse.  Then she sang that sexist load of bullshit of a song.  I'm so glad she has explained why god made girls.  Now can she tell me why women exist?  And do they possibly exist for any reasons that aren't all about men?  

• Love 6

I wasn't super invested in this season and now with Danica gone I'm done. This show this year was just not good. The talent was horrible. To me Danica was the only one worth watching. She was the only one who deserved to make it this far. I loved her version of "Help Me".  Peace out show!

• Love 1

Why did Adam just sit there, so stony faced when Damien took the second spot on his team? He didn't seem to have a problem clapping for Matt?

However, I do give him a bit of credit last night for saying the song was all Damien's choice and was "your best one so far". That was gracious. Personally, I thought Damien was great on Someone Like You. Would love to see him choose his own song next week (alas, he probably -will- get "Me and Mrs. Jones" since Adam knows he won't be getting three through and he obviously prefers Chris and Matt over Damien.)

All of which will leave me no one to root for except CWB. Which would be pretty funny if F4 comes down to Matt, Chris, CWB and a -saved- Damien and Team Blake still wins. (Damien's the best singer, imo, but has no chance of winning. With that in mind, and no woman left, CWB would be fine with me over Matt, Chris or Taylor.)

• Love 2

Now I also think that Adam's team is getting special treatment when it comes to performance order.  That also leads to rating better on iTunes.  Next week all 3 of his singers should sing first before the other 2 singers left.  But that probably will not happen. I do think if you sing later in the show that you do better on iTunes and in the vote.

I view this differently. It wasn't special treatment for Adam's team, but rather a lack of a disadvantage. Slots 4, 5, and 8 don't look that far off to me based on how Adam's team performed. This is all subjective of course, but I thought Matt deserved to perform last, Damien should have performed later, and Chris should have gone earlier (although not before Ryan and Craig).  

I have to admit I was surprised that the producers didn't purposely slot Adam's team early regardless of performance quality. It's not really good for the show to have one coach dominate. But I appreciate the lack of producer manipulation in this regard.

I agree that singing later does provide an advantage in terms of votes (simply because viewers might forget the earlier performances as the show progresses). But I don't have an issue with it since performance order usually correlates pretty well with performance quality. From a TV perspective, it makes sense to go from weak to strong. More entertaining and puts the show in a better light (end on a high note, the good helps viewers forget the bad). 

Based on the info I posted in the Top 8 Performance thread, the contestant with the most "advantageous" performance slots is actually Taylor. Then probably Chris, then Craig, then Matt. Damien has mostly performed in the first half of the show. Luke and DaNica are consistently slotted in the middle (to me, an accurate reflection of their vocally solid but unmemorable performances). Ryan has usually gotten the 1 or 2 slot (also understandable). 

Edited by Noreaster

Where to begin?

Raelynn: wow, just... wow. She wrote that song? Not surprised; sounds like something a 16 year old would write. I hated it. She still sounds like a young goat in distress when she sings, and not in a good way.

Also, I agree with everyone up above: her hair, dress and makeup were terrible. I didn't get her on her season, and I'm still not getting her now.

Craig Wayne Boyd had better bring it next week or it WILL be an all-Adam finale. Having said that, I thought Chris sang beautifully in his save me moment. I don't understand the Damien love; I love HIM and his story, but I'm not over the moon about his singing. If it's to be between Matt and Chris, though, I'm on team Chris, who I'm pretending is not on team Adam.

Unlike almost everyone else, I did not think Danica nailed her save me song. You could tell she was nervous and it was a bad time to lose confidence. I thought she was only mediocre last night, and I've liked her (mostly, except for Whitney songs) up till then.

I will miss Ryan; I'm not sure he's anything uber special, but he has a lovely voice and seems like a nice guy. Luke could have gone a couple weeks ago and I would have been fine with it.

I'm pulling for CWB, but he seriously, SERIOUSLY better step it up or he is gone. Not even Blake's fan base will be able to save him.

• Love 1

This is my first time posting but I just can't take it anymore.  I have watched every season of the Voice but I am getting a little tired of Adam.  The stand up arm pump is getting old.  He just doesn't seem as to care about his singers as much as he cares that one of HIS team is the winner.  At least Blake really seems to care about the people on his team and wants to help them after the show.  I have not much from any of Adams' past singers except as guests on this show.  And if he tells us one more time how cute and good looking Chris is I'm gonna throw up.  Its the Voice not Top Model!  I do like Matt but I would like CWB to win but I don't know if that will work out.  At least I know Blake will help him after the show.

• Love 6

I don't mind Adam though this actually my first time watching this far, I am generally out before the auditions end.  I do feel like his team for the most part are the best, though I still believe Craig may take it.

If I had to guess:

Damion and Taylor will be out next week. Leaving: Craig, Matt and Chris in the finale.

Then if I understand correctly they are bringing someone back from the bottom 9. I have a feeling it'll be Reagan, because the judges all seemed to like her.

Then, Craig will win, Matt will come in second. And the other two I guess would be 3 and 4th.

Edited by blueray

Everything went exactly as I predicted last night knew Craig Wayne Boyd would be in the top 5. I actually enjoyed Chris instant save performance much better than his performance on Monday night.  Im not sure how the wildcard thing is going to work? And honestly I dont even know who I would want to come back in the competition we are in the top 5 now and Im kind of ready to just see a winner at this point and move on to next season.

• Love 1

I do think the performance order does affect how well a song does on iTunes, with the exception of The Swon Brothers.  They performed at the beginning several times and still did well on iTunes.  Last week Matt performed first and he didn't do that well on iTunes, so I do think it helps to perform near the end.  CWB performed near the end and he was the only contestant to end up in the top ten on iTunes last week.

I love Damien's voice the best, but I'm not sure how well he'll do after the show.  Javier and Jermaine have been very quiet since their seasons.  I think the top 3 will be Matt, Craig (as long as he steps it up with song selection) and Taylor.  They have all had songs in the top 10 on iTunes, along with Damien.  No other contestant has made the iTunes top 10 this season, if I remember correctly.  I could see Reagan being brought back as the wild card, but I would prefer DaNica or Taylor Phelan.

RaeLyn's song gave me a headache and I had to change the channel.  I never understood Blake's love for this girl and I still don't.  I'd much rather have Danielle or The Swon Brothers come back to perform. 

I agree that CWB needs another I Walk the Line moment to stay in the competition.  He cannot play it safe at all.  I still think Matt will win.  He has been the most consistent with iTunes sales.  I think CWB, Taylor and Matt are the most marketable of the remaining contestants.

Edited by Sammich63
  • Love 1

Pharrell might not have been tweeting during the "save" because he had both his people competing against each other and didn't want to play favorites. And I checked his account, and Blake didn't actually tweet to save anyone then.

I was stunned that when Pharrell was in danger of losing his entire team, they still had Adam's contestant sing last. I can't remember--Did they have Danica and Luke both sing before the first commercial and then Chris and Ryan sing after it? I thought breaking the four save yourself performances up was really unfair.

And then to give the final slot, the one that everyone who was voting would definitely see, to the team member of the one coach who still had all three singers left was really telling. What kind of diva fit did Adam pull or deal does Adam have with the show that they keep going out of their way to protect his contestants at the expense of everyone else?

Edited by Cramps
  • Love 2

I don't know where to post this, but I just read the Wildcard spot is going to be a Twitter Vote. Ugh, seriously?

I figured this was gonna end up happening. Fuck. Why do they wanna save Chris so badly?

I think I might vote next week for the first time. I really want Damien to make the finals.

Can someone give me a rundown on how next week and the finale week are gonna go?

• Love 1

I preferred Danica over Chris last night.  I also like Luke's voice better than Chris' but Luke has been choking since the lives started.  He must get really nervous.  His eye was twitching really badly and he had a long pause where he seemed to forget the words again.  Luke did win the knockout against Taylor Phelan but I still wish that Pharrell didn't pair those two together.  Then he could have had Taylor instead of Sugar.  However, he seemed to love Sugar so he probably still would have chosen her.  I hope Pharrell really does help this three contestants like he said that he would.  Yup, he didn't bother tweeting even to say to vote for both Luke and Danica.

It seems like the twitter save performances are based on where the coaches sit.  So Blake's contestants would go first and Adam's would go last.  It doesn't seem fair to me.  I also didn't like that Adam said that Chris was in the top 5.  It was probably true but he isn't supposed to say that.  Carson corrected him by saying that he was speculating.

I'm in the minority because I liked Damien's performances except for Monday night.  It was impressive but he did too much with it.  There was too much falsetto and switching from it to his regular voice.  I think Matt has the best chance of winning from Adam's team which I wouldn't mind because I liked him from the beginning.

I also like Taylor.  If I liked country, I would also like Craig.  I just don't want to see an all Adam final so Chris can go.

RaeLynn's song is supposed to be fun and not at all serious.  That being said, I hated her then and I hate her now because she sounds like a goat on speed.  The only reason Miranda is championing her is that it makes her (Miranda) look so much better in comparison.  RL must remind Blake of a sister or cousin or such.  Would rather see him pushing Danielle as well as Swons, and of course CWB.

• Love 4

The commercial break in the middle of the instant-save performances was weird. But seriously, does performance order really matter here? People invested enough in the twitter-save and who base it on these specific performances are going to forget performance #1? It's like a 10-15 minute stretch. 

As I mentioned before, the twitter-save performances have always been done from left-to-right. If the producers were to fiddle with this set order, then there would be real reason for conspiracy theories. 

It just seems like people want producer manipulation to get rid of certain coaches/contestants. It's not "unfair" if one coach has his team intact. Those contestants performed well enough for "America" to vote them through. 

• Love 3

As I mentioned before, the twitter-save performances have always been done from left-to-right. If the producers were to fiddle with this set order, then there would be real reason for conspiracy theories. 

But the producers are the ones who set up where they stand, so they know exactly who will perform first and who will perform last.

Teams stand in the order the coaches are seated. Then the contestants themselves maintain their positions every week (I think). Top 12 starts off based on height (tallest in the middle of each team).

ETA: Yep, just checked.  Within each team, from left-to-right, it's shortest, then tallest, then the middle height.  The standing order has been maintained each week, except...this week, they switched up Damien and Matt.  So if they were both up for twitter-save, oh boy conspiracy alert!  Matt would sing before Damien!  OMG, Damien is the chosen one!

Edited by Noreaster
  • Love 2

The commercial break in the middle of the instant-save performances was weird. But seriously, does performance order really matter here? People invested enough in the twitter-save and who base it on these specific performances are going to forget performance #1? It's like a 10-15 minute stretch. 

There's nothing sacrosanct about going from left-to-right except that it means Adams contestants (if in a save) would not always get to go first. I think the favoritism is obvious, whether it's a familiar pattern or not.

I'm not sure what the point of the F4 save is -supposed- to be. My feeling is they wanted to hedge their bets in case a favorite/someone more commercial was booted off earlier than most fans wanted. Maybe that would be CWB or Matt, maybe Damien. As much as Adam keeps hyping Chris--and his save performance was one of his best imo--I just don't think it's happening. I guess Taylor is popular, but I always forget about him.

If the frontrunners, Matt and CWB, are easily advanced next week, along with Damien or Taylor then the fourth spot would probably go to one of them, rather than someone eliminated much earlier like Danica or (please no!) the tuneless 15 year old whose name I can't remember.  It would seem so strange to bring back someone who was F7 over someone who'd been voted in as F4.

• Love 2

I don't know about that left to right thing being a rule. But twitter saves could easily be based on a random draw. Which they should be. Because otherwise Adam's people will always have the advantage. Oh, right...

I thought Danica's save performance was the best and her best. She was so much more relaxed and emotionally connected to the song.

Luke often blinks a lot-- I thought it was a contact lens issue, but is he blind in one eye? If so it wouldn't make sense that both eyes were blinking. And yes he seemed to lose his place in the song last night. He really seems to be melting down under the pressure (I'm sure many of us would too). It's too bad. I love his voice.

RaeLynn-- Blake good lord please don't try to tell me that she is the new female icon breaking boundaries in country music!

Edited by Cramps
  • Love 2

I think it's favoritism if that's what you're looking for. Otherwise, like many things in life, there is simply a process for doing things and you stick to the same rules and standards to avoid preferences and unfairness.  

Flip a coin, left-to-right or right-to-left. Whichever, although we do read left-to-right in the English language and it feels like that's the way we do a lot of things here in the US.  Also, I think the producers have the contestants stand in a specific order because it's easier to remind viewers who the contestants are and which team each belong to. Having the twitter-save performances in the same order simply helps to maintain that.  ETA: Going left-to-right with the contestants also reflects the coach order when they provide commentary.  

Though I'm not opposed to drawing names out of a hat if it makes people feel better. But I think people are stretching a bit to make it seem like it's Adam favoritism.  

Edited by Noreaster
  • Love 3