Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 31 (2014-2015)

Athena
  • Start Topic

It warmed my cold, black heart that no one knew Derek Hough. I know who he is, but I loathe him.

I knew there must be a reason that short program left me feeling 'meh' - now I know why; I also loathe Derek Hough and think he's a lousy choreographer.  But yeah, I ran the ice-dancing category.

I can understand the objection to the "Guthrie" answer, and I realize there are many people who wrote novels named "Thompson", but how many of those Thompson authors wrote a novel with that exact first line of the book that was quoted in the clue?

Along those same lines, I think* the Guthrie clue indicated that the one they were looking for was dead, and Arlo's still alive, so it had to be Woody. It's kind of backward and I think they should have required the first name, but it may have fit some weird Jeopardy reasoning they have.

*J-Archive doesn't have it yet.

• Love 2
(edited)

the Guthrie clue indicated that the one they were looking for was dead, and Arlo's still alive, so it had to be Woody. It's kind of backward and I think they should have required the first name, but it may have fit some weird Jeopardy reasoning they have.

The correct answer is Woody Guthrie with Arlo Guthrie being wrong.  Only Woody Guthrie would be correct because only Woody Guthrie fits the clue with the corollary that Arlo Guthrie is wrong because it doesn't fit the clue - being alive, the various geographic locations given fitting the person's life-Woody was born in Oklahoma while Arlo was born in NY etc.  That the clue itself eliminates the other possibility, should not mean that just giving the last name is enough.  The response itself needs to eliminate the other possibility when there is a reasonable alternative possibility.  All clues should eliminate all but one response.  The problem is that with some individuals like Roosevelt, Kennedy, Bronte, Guthrie, Ewing (JR) as examples, there are other possibilities that while wrong, are close and could be confused for the right answer.  I honestly don't think the contestant knew or was certain which Guthrie it was, hence the response Guthrie.  Alex needed to ask for more information, not say Woody Guthrie, yes.   

This type of occurrence bugs me more than it should.  Just seems there is inconsistency in their own judging and therefore inherently unfair to some contestants.  I think my underlying  problem is that the initial acceptance comes from Alex and I don't really like him and blame him for the bad judging.  I think he is a know-it-all with the answers, arrogant, smug, condescending and I view this as an example of him being wrong in his judgment.

Edited by Bazinga
  • Love 6

I absolutely want the plans for building a Kitadel. I really hope Alvin posts them online somewhere.

I knew Derek Hough and was both pleased (for the world) and chastened (for myself) when it was a triple stumper.

• Love 2

Knowing that the President is a little more than ten years older than I am definitely helped me get FJ.

I'm surprised that Marilyn Monroe was a TS.

So this is going to sound so incredibly silly, but whenever Dave spoke, he sounded exactly like the guy who played a restaurant owner on "Friends" who was interviewing Monica for a job, but he was a total creeper and was excited about her cutting julienne tomatoes and didn't want her to wash the lettuce. That is all I could think about every time he answered.

(edited)

Regarding FJ: I was surprised that 2 out of 3 picked Eisenhower. I was sure Eisenhower was going back too far and that it had to be either JFK or LBJ. I guessed wrong; the brevity of JFK's time as president threw me.

Edited by GreekGeek
  • Love 2

I had initially said JFK, and then I started second guessing myself that it might be LBJ. I didn't think it was Eisenhower, though the year 1960 was a bit dicey.
It's always kind of sad when poor betting is the reason for someone to lose.

Sorry to see Alvin go. He was a sweety. Laura's good and I enjoyed her. I'm so glad Dave lost, even though I was originally pulling for him since I have a friend who lives in his town. But his answering style was annoying as well as the hunting for DDs.

I was disappointed no one seemed to know much about Lauren Bacall. I'm a huge fan.

I got JFK right away.

• Love 1

So this is going to sound so incredibly silly, but whenever Dave spoke, he sounded exactly like the guy who played a restaurant owner on "Friends" who was interviewing Monica for a job, but he was a total creeper and was excited about her cutting julienne tomatoes and didn't want her to wash the lettuce. That is all I could think about every time he answered.

An awesome obscure reference!

I was disappointed no one seemed to know much about Lauren Bacall. I'm a huge fan.

I was disappointed we didn't get to hear one of the clues in that category, since I was running it.

I was surprised that 2 out of 3 picked Eisenhower. I was sure Eisenhower was going back too far and that it had to be either JFK or LBJ. I guessed wrong; the brevity of JFK's time as president threw me.

The year at issue - 1961 - is when Eisenhower left office and JFK was sworn in, so I wasn't too surprised by that.  I immediately guessed JFK, but then started second-guessing myself, wondering if it was one of those clues where you think it's Kennedy but that's too easy and it's actually Eisenhower or LBJ.

• Love 1

I guessed JFK for FJ, only because I remember being quite freaked out that the President of the United States was younger than me by a couple years.  I was born during Eisenhower, so JFK seemed logical to me for that young thing in the White House.

• Love 3
(edited)

I am surprised that more people don't have Obama's birthday seared into the memory given how much it's been reported on in the press over the last 9 years, not because of celebration but because of the stupid birthers and the mainstream press coverage like it could be a legitimate thing. Not to mention speeches/interviews, etc. about how he was born in a time of hope and promise (JFK's presidency) and born six years before his existence wouldn't be considered a crime in some states in the US (Loving v. Virginia).

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 6

The year at issue - 1961 - is when Eisenhower left office and JFK was sworn in, so I wasn't too surprised by that.  

Ah, I didn't think about that. I just immediately put Eisenhower in the 50's. Anyway, I said JFK. Obama is just a couple of years younger than I. (ChicagoCita, I had the same reaction as you.)

I had heard Laura on NPR (Morning Edition, probably) last week, so I was curious to see how she did. I'm just glad Dave didn't win.

I, too, was surprised no one got Marilyn Monroe. "Grain" also seemed like an easy one in the measurement category.

I am so terrible at explorers. I guess I have a mental block about them. I can never keep them straight.

• Love 2

I liked Dave's story about saving the mouse who ate his sandwich. Seemed like a very sweet thing to do. Actually, everyone seems more likable than usual lately. I wonder if they're screening contestants with a different filter.

I think they were extremely easy.

Maybe, if you pay attention to the Olympics.  My Olympics viewing starts and ends at an occasional glance at Women's Beach Volleyball, and I was skunked on that category.  I had never even heard of the presenters.

Was Alex acting strange during the reveal of the FJ answers and when he gave the correct answer?  Seemed odd.

Alex acts strange so much of the time I didn't notice.  Mainly he just seems cocky because he has the answer and then proceeds to be condescending to anyone who gets it wrong.

• Love 2

I like our current champ and hope she continues for a nice, long run. She's easy to root for, IMO.

What do we think about Rebecca (I think that was her name) writing the correct response for FJ, but without the actual name? Did the clue specifically ask for the name? I guess it's kind of like the famous Cliff Clavin response of "Who are people who have never been in my kitchen?"

• Love 1

Has anyone on the Jeopardy! staff ever SEEN a magnolia tree?  Did they google images?  Because that didn't look like any magnolia I've ever seen.  The close up of the blossoms looked more like a tulip poplar.  They need to stop showing pictures if they can't get 'em right.

I like the champ's hair.  I wondered if Rebecca even *had* hair, hence the hat.  Might be chemo, might be alopecia, but I liked the hat.  Cool earrings, too, but her frantic pressing of the button was annoying me.  I felt sorry that she couldn't ring in on time.

• Love 1

Rebecca was odd, to say the least. She was very distracting by pushing on her buzzer like it needed 20,000 foot pounds of force to depress the button. And then not giving the person's name in FJ was just downright strange.

I like Laura. Very calm and knowledgeable.

• Love 5

I generally don't sit through the contestant interviews, but was curious, because of Rebecca's hat, and I had the feeling from her name that she was an Orthodox Jew. Alex introduced her, & explained why she was wearing the hat. Very observant Orthodox Jewish women always have their hair covered, either by wig, hat or snood.

The Tuskegee airmen clue- didn't it specifically ask for Tuskegee airmen? Alex accepted Tuskegee then added "airmen". 

• Love 1

Rebecca was odd, to say the least. She was very distracting by pushing on her buzzer like it needed 20,000 foot pounds of force to depress the button. And then not giving the person's name in FJ was just downright strange.

I didn't think she was particularly odd, just very, very serious. She was obviously having problems with buzzer timing, hence the repeated hitting of the button. As for FJ, she was on the right track but just couldn't recall the name. It happens. I didn't think Juliette Low was one of those names that "everybody" knows.

But I agree that Laura is a good champ, easy to root for.

• Love 3

The Tuskegee airmen clue- didn't it specifically ask for Tuskegee airmen? Alex accepted Tuskegee then added "airmen".

I heard that too and it bugged.

For some reason, I found the champ's story about sourdough bread so charming. I hadn't felt one way or the other about her in the previous game, and I don't usually watch the interviews (but I was curious about Rebecca's hat) but she won me over with her passion for bread. Go figure.

• Love 2

Has anyone on the Jeopardy! staff ever SEEN a magnolia tree?  Did they google images?  Because that didn't look like any magnolia I've ever seen.  The close up of the blossoms looked more like a tulip poplar.  They need to stop showing pictures if they can't get 'em right.

I've never seen a magnolia tree that was all flowers and no leaves. I figured the picture was just a variety I wasn't aware of, but reading your post makes me wonder if they showed the wrong pic.

• Love 1

This is the magnolia I'm familiar with (and I live in Georgia).  Apparently, there ARE some that look like tulip poplars - varieties named for women, like Ann Magnolia, Jane Magnolia...  Here's a link to the Jane Magnolia.  What I find interesting is this: "The Jane Magnolia is one of eight magnolia "Girls" developed at the U.S. National Arboretum in the 1950s."  So they're not naturally occurring - they're man-made hybrids.  (GMOs!  Run for your lives!!)

If you google "magnolia tree in bloom" you get a LOT of pictures like the one on the show tonight.  STILL...they don't look like any magnolias I've seen around here.

• Love 2

The magnolia looked like one I had when I lived in Wisconsin, so yeah, not a southern magnolia.  In the north, they do bloom before the leaves come out.

Kudos to the current champ for coming up with Juliette Low.  Not a name on everyone's tongue.  Certainly not mine.

• Love 4
(edited)

Kudos to the current champ for coming up with Juliette Low.  Not a name on everyone's tongue.  Certainly not mine.

It was an insta-get for me, but my mom worked for GSUSA in the national headquarters for years.  There were photos of her [Juliette Gordon Low, not my mother!] all over the hallways. Plus, I was a Girl Scout for ten years, from Brownie to Senior.

Very observant Orthodox Jewish women always have their hair covered, either by wig, hat or snood.

Alex specified that she was a observant married woman, which caught my ear. Is the tradition applicable to only married women?

Edited by ChicagoCita

The magnolia looked like one I had when I lived in Wisconsin, so yeah, not a southern magnolia.  In the north, they do bloom before the leaves come out.

Didn't the clue say something about Mississippi?  I would have gotten the correct response if I'd only had the text of the clue. It was the pink flowers that threw me off.

I knew Juliette Gordon Low, although I couldn't remember Gordon until it was too late to write it down.  She's from Savannah - her home is a tourist attraction there.

ChicagoCita -  Yes, it's observant married women. Realized that I left off that key word.

Totally blanked on FJ. Thought it might have to do w/someone in the suffrage movement.

• Love 2

Didn't the clue say something about Mississippi?  I would have gotten the correct response if I'd only had the text of the clue. It was the pink flowers that threw me off.

I can't remember if the clue mentioned Mississippi, but Alex was doing his Southern belle accent -- or was it Foghorn Leghorn? -- so that certainly would lead one to the South.

Totally blanked on FJ. Thought it might have to do w/someone in the suffrage movement.

Me too. I thought Susan B Anthony.

I like our current champ and hope she continues for a nice, long run. She's easy to root for, IMO.

What do we think about Rebecca (I think that was her name) writing the correct response for FJ, but without the actual name? Did the clue specifically ask for the name? I guess it's kind of like the famous Cliff Clavin response of "Who are people who have never been in my kitchen?"

That was my first thought as well for that contestant. I knew it because I was a Girl Scout for years.

Regarding FJ: I was surprised that 2 out of 3 picked Eisenhower. I was sure Eisenhower was going back too far and that it had to be either JFK or LBJ. I guessed wrong; the brevity of JFK's time as president threw me.

I thought Obama was younger than me, so I guessed Ford, although I waffled between him and Nixon.  Color me surprised to find out that he's older than I am.  (I was born during LBJ's presidency.)

I can't remember if the clue mentioned Mississippi, but Alex was doing his Southern belle accent -- or was it Foghorn Leghorn? -- so that certainly would lead one to the South.

Me too. I thought Susan B Anthony.

Alex doing any kind of accent should not be allowed.  Susan B. Anthony was my guess too.

How Alex introduced the subject of the hat was weird - like we would supposed to realize she was Jewish because of the hat.  I'm Jewish and I just thought she liked hats. 

• Love 2

I knew about the observant Jewish wife thing, but I work with a WAY Orthodox Jewish man. He's very smart but would suck at Jeopardy because they don't watch any TV, few movies, basically no popular culture

Rebecca's a few notches down from him on that scale; she at least wore clothing that had some color and she knew enough pop culture to do OK. I think the buzzer killed her. 

I noticed that too. I was thinking that she was trying to answer and just wasn't fast enough or it didn't work. But I assume if it didn't work they would have got her a new one.

• Love 1

That made me say, "WTF?"  Do you suppose they thought E Street was too obvious?  Did middle guy think Springsteen was in Chicago the band?

I could barely watch tonight what with all the starting at the highest dollar clues.