Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 31 (2014-2015)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Watching tonight, I realized how much I dislike contestants' interjections (yes, you, Shayna).  Although she is one of the two types of contestants I normally  like rooting for, a dumpy older woman (the other category is hot guys, what can I sayl I guess you can guess which one I am), I'm really glad her math skills were so poor.

Matt was ok, although him not getting "Anglo-Saxon" was surprising to me.

• Love 1

OMG! Shayna, WTH?! I was really rooting for her. Damn, how disappointing. I thought her candlestick story was interesting and would like to hear more.

Matt seems like a nice man but he's meh in the personality department.

Pat seemed confused on the deduction from his score. It didn't really help that Alex didn't explain it well.

FJ was an instaget.

• Love 4

That seemed worse than bad math.  Why did she wager something with $98 on the end (was it $3498).  Made no sense to me.  At least wager $3500 then, although that would have put her into a tie.  I didn't get the odd amount.

• Love 3
I like Matt too but I wonder why he spelt DeKlerk with a q at the end.

Unless she just had odd penmanship, Shayna misspelled it as well--DeClerk.

I hope they edited something out, because I thought Alex was almost rudely abrupt with her after the candlestick story.

• Love 1

I've found a new nerd crush in Matt. I hope he sticks around for a while.

I wasn't paying attention so I'm unclear why so much was deducted from Pat. I didn't think it was a DD... Did they take away his next answer too? 

I've never played chess, and haven't even played checkers in years, so I had no idea how many spaces are contained by a chess board.  Don't even know how many chess pieces there are.  I would've bombed spectacularly on that FJ.  But hey, at least I knew that Swine flu is H1N1.

When that question occurred, I had a major brain fart and couldn't remember if Swine flu was H1N1 or H5N1 - I knew one was swine flu and one was bird flu, but I couldn't remember which was which.

Normally I can tell them apart because when bird flu was an issue, I was learning Italian and therefore watched the news a lot in Italian, so I think of it as H5N1 pronounced in Italian. But I was tired and totally blanked on which flu was a concern back in 2006-7.

I did get FJ very easily, though :P

Ugh, the poor lady. I was really rooting for her and waving goodbye to Mr. Somerville Massachusetts.

I was so happy when she took the lead after her DD wager. Then she blew it on the math. I felt so bad for her! I'm bad at doing math in my head, so I really sympathize with her.

• Love 2

Pat seemed confused on the deduction from his score. It didn't really help that Alex didn't explain it well.

This reminds me of a question I've wondered about for a long time.  To former contestants on this Board:  As you're about to tape your game(s) and, I presume, are going over the rules for the final prep, are you instructed to NOT react if/when there is a scoring change to your detriment?  There have been instances, and Pat tonight was one example, when it appeared that the contestant would have liked to question or debate the judges' ruling, but they then stop themselves as if they've suddenly remembered a Warning, Warning, Warning.  Is there an opportunity after the show to question the decision or debate for your answer?

• Love 2
She had me on her side when she knew "White Shadow." Since I have no interest in any sport, I have always wondered why I liked that show so much - one of my fond recollections from earlier TV.  Maybe it's just Ken Howard....

I was all prepared for that to be a TS and then she knew it, and I was all, Yay for you, knowing that sorta obscure, old show! Oh, and yeah... Ken Howard, he had charisma to burn.

Like so many of you, I felt really bad for her. It would be nice if she reads this forum and knows how many people empathize and were pulling for her. Might ease the pain of the loss.

• Love 4

It's so great to find other White Shadow fans here! What a terrific show, and created by Bruce Paltrow - Gwyneth's father. 

Another White Shadow fan here. You're mentioning Bruce Paltrow and Gwyneth reminded me that for the longest time I thought Ken Howard and Blythe Danner were married, certainly because of 1776.

I got gape instead of gawk.

Me too. I had to rewind to see that the clue specified it was betw gavotte and gaze.

I wouldn't have known Hoda's last name if my life depended on it. Is it Coffy?

• Love 3
(edited)

On that wagering business, haven't we been told by former contestants that they give you plenty of time and pencil and paper to figure your wager for FJ?  That only seems fair...

Yes, indeed they do.  But I guess that wouldn't help if you can't do the math on paper either.  (Not saying that was Shayna's problem, just a general comment.)

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 3
(edited)
I wouldn't have known Hoda's last name if my life depended on it. Is it Coffy?

Kotb. Pronounced like "cot" (that you'd sleep on) with "bee" stuck on the end.

I wonder if they would have accepted "What is Hoda and Kathie Lee ?".

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 2
(edited)

Kotb. Pronounced like "cot" (that you'd sleep on) with "bee" stuck on the end. 

I wonder if they'd have accepted "Kathi Lee and Hoda" since that's pretty much how they're billed on the Today Show.

(Oops, ottoD got there first.)

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 1

I'm thinking they would have accepted Kathy Lee and Hoda, just like Regis and Kathy Lee is what that show was called. I was happy Gifford and Kotb were added though. Just to distinguish them from Kathy Lee and Hoda Carson.

I'm from the era of White Shadow, but never watched one episode of it. Still, I knew the answer. All that old-timer stuff is just lodged in my brain.

I said an "out loud" word when Shayna didn't bet enough to win. How heartbreaking was THAT?

• Love 6

for the longest time I thought Ken Howard and Blythe Danner were married, certainly because of 1776.

Nah, he was married to Ann Landers' daughter for a while - and she'd mention it a time or two in her advice columns.

The small part of 1776 that I saw dismayed me so, I had to turn it off.  Nice of them to show the Jeffersons being a happy couple, besotted with other, but in truth, Martha was WAY too ill to travel - she never was in Philadelphia with him.  But I guess B'way/Hollywood can't stand sticking to fact and have to embellish for the sake of the "story."  I dunno - the story's pretty compelling without embellishment.  And get off my lawn.

• Love 3

Ken Howard and Blythe Danner also played a couple in the '70s TV version of ADAM'S RIB (in the Tracy and Hepburn roles).

Instead of "gawk" I thought of "gawp." That still fits the alphabetical parameters, so I think they'd have accepted it.

gawp ɡôp/ verbinformal verb: gawp; 3rd person present: gawps; past tense: gawped; past participle: gawped; gerund or present participle: gawping

stare openly in a stupid or rude manner.
    "what are you gawping at ?"

• Love 2

Nah, he was married to Ann Landers' daughter for a while - and she'd mention it a time or two in her advice columns.

The small part of 1776 that I saw dismayed me so, I had to turn it off.  Nice of them to show the Jeffersons being a happy couple, besotted with other, but in truth, Martha was WAY too ill to travel - she never was in Philadelphia with him.  But I guess B'way/Hollywood can't stand sticking to fact and have to embellish for the sake of the "story."  I dunno - the story's pretty compelling without embellishment.  And get off my lawn.

Well, it IS a movie which has members of the Continental Congress singing at each, so . . .

I do get where you're coming from, though; there are periods and figures in history about which I feel exactly the same way.

• Love 3

Not pre-empted here but the NBA Draft starts at 7:30 so I'll just have to follow along with the thread again. I would most likely get FJ wrong anyways as my record is spotty of late.

Holy cow, ChicagoCita. That's a long wait. I'm already two hours past Thursday's episode. But I'm always careful not to post here about it until the next day. There is a "funny" that happens at FJ. IMO, anyway, based on a prior conversation here. I'm thinking others will post about it before I make it back here.

• Love 1

Not a great game -- a lot of wrong answers and a lot of TS, but Matt still had a runaway even though it was a low scoring game.  Which makes him a 3-day champ, but I don't think he will hold up against a strong competitor.

Not a great game. I noticed Desta said entomology instead of etymology.

@dcalley -- I noticed that too.

FJ was way too easy.

• Love 1

A less than impressive game.

I notice Alex didn't even bother giving a bms to Desta when she said bass for double bass in the 'Bread Box' category.

I did not catch her mistake with entomology.

Instaget FJ for me but apparently it wasn't too easy for two of the contestants.

• Love 1

Is it my imagination or has Kinky Boots come up multiple times in FJ over the last several months?

I think a trend has been started, and "Kinky Boots" will be synonymous with "Hell, I dunno".

• Love 3

What a lackluster game. Hopefully, there will soon be a kick-ass contestant.

That Highly Effective People clue has been used before. We get reruns of Jeopardy! at noon everyday and it was shown a couple of days ago.

FJ was an instaget. I was surprised only Matt got it.

• Love 3

That was a boring game. This new champion is boring and the contenders didn't win me over too much either. I enjoyed the "Her Movie" category since I love film, but that's about it.

• Love 3

They have hymns as an entire DJ category for what is probably the first time ever, and it gets completely left on the board? ARGH! I was so eager to see those questions. I've been playing in church for nearly 30 years, in 3 different denominations. 

• Love 4

I knew FJ, but I’m not terribly surprised two of them didn’t.  If they weren’t aware of Kinky Boots – which is entirely possible – then even if Cyndi Lauper came to mind when thinking of pop stars who came onto the scene in the mid ‘80s I don’t think she’d seem like a good guess for the second part of the clue.

What did surprise me, however, was how bad the two wrong guesses were.  One who was a new artist well before 1985 and one who debuted long after.

• Love 3
Ken Howard and Blythe Danner also played a couple in the '70s TV version of ADAM'S RIB (in the Tracy and Hepburn roles).

I'd forgotten about that show! That combined with 1776 is certainly why I thought they were really married.

• Love 1
(edited)

Is it my imagination or has Kinky Boots come up multiple times in FJ over the last several months?

We had a laugh here a while back when someone gave the wrong FJ answer of Kinky Boots. I had never heard of it, so learned yesterday that it was Lauper's show. I just got a laugh from it being on the show again.

And a big YES, what was up with that, Trebek not saying BMS for the bass answer.

He also did his foreign pronunciation for some word that is common in English, I just don't remember what it was. (You guys will start forgetting stuff too when you get old.)

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 3
(edited)
He also did his foreign pronunciation for some word that is common in English, I just don't remember what it was.

I noticed that, too. And being an old person, I'm also having trouble remembering what it was. Was it genre? I'll have to rewatch.

ETA: He pronounces 'subgenre' as 'sub-zhahn.'

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 2

I don't think there should have been a BMS for the double bass clue, akin to not allowing BMS for Northern Ireland if someone says Ireland.  I guess there's some wiggle room where the person might say upright bass, but I think a BMS would be an unfair advantage.

• Love 2

I don’t think it’s akin to the Ireland/Northern Ireland example, because Northern Island is not a specific part of Ireland (like a double bass is a specific kind of bass), but a separate country.  But I also wouldn’t have given a “be more specific” prompt on that one; the text of the clue so obviously required a specific kind of bass I would not have felt generous towards someone who simply looked at the picture and offered up bass as an answer.

• Love 3
(edited)
I noticed that, too. And being an old person, I'm also having trouble remembering what it was. Was it genre? I'll have to rewatch.

Yes! I know he did that pronunciation today anyway. You guys haven't seen the episode yet, but I have. And my comment, non-spoiler, is that Kat is one of my favorite contestants ever.

I have to start taking notes because shows go right out of my head as soon as they are over. Sometimes before they are over.

But I also wouldn’t have given a “be more specific” prompt on that one; the text of the clue so obviously required a specific kind of bass I would not have felt generous towards someone who simply looked at the picture and offered up bass as an answer.

Oh, I would have asked for a BMS since the person obviously didn't know what a double bass was by seeing a photo of one, so, no harm, no foul. Plus Trebek does get a charge out of rubbing it in peoples' faces when they don't know something or forget the category. Personally, I thought the photo was of a cello. Eh!

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 1

I have to start taking notes because shows go right out of my head as soon as they are over. Sometimes before they are over.

I already do make little notes all around my sudoku puzzles so I won't forget that there's something I want to comment on, since I have that same problem:)

• Love 3

FJ was an instaget here too.

I was also disappointed they didn't finish the Emmy category - I wish they had started with it.  I could picture Carl Reiner as Alan Brady but just couldn't get his name out in time.

It wasn't a particularly exciting game but it was good and all contestants were likeable.

• Love 3

Soccer, be damned! They actually showed the pre-empted episode even though they "joined it in progress" right before the first break.

Yay for Ankoor! Glad Matt's gone. He was getting boring as all get out. I was terrified Kat would win; she sounded like she has a wad of snot stuck in her throat.

I was enjoying the Emmy category, too, and was disappointed both Carl Reiner and Juliana Margulies were TS.

FJ was an instaget again. I'm on a roll! Next week I'll probably be clueless.

And I take notes, forgot to write something down, and now can't remember the ever so witty comment about something I can't remember. A mind is a terrible thing to lose.

• Love 4

I love math categories when you have to do math (rather than just answer questions about math).  I think these contestants did better than average.  I got them all, but some were hard to do in such a short time.

I must need to clean out my ears, as both the contestant and Alex seemed to me to be saying gerber (daisies) rather than gerbera.

I missed a big chunk of the first round after that thanks to my cat’s demands. 

I was loving the Emmy Awards category, too, because 1995 was back when I still watched a lot of TV.  But I didn’t know Carl Reiner, either; I didn’t watch Mad About You and if there was something else in the clue to get me there, I missed it.

1491 was hideously overvalued as a DD since one need not have ever even heard of the book to get it (I speak from experience).

Speaking of overvalued … FJ.

• Love 4