Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Regency Bar

• Start Topic

23 minutes ago, film noire said:

Not enough money or gratitude in the world, Silver Bells  -  "heroic" doesn't even begin to cover what your son-in-law is doing for all of us right now  - hugs to you & yours as you wait out this nightmare.

Thank you.  He’s just one of so many who put their lives on the line every day, but this is just too much already, for everyone.  It’s so unreal.  ❤️

• Love 6

It’s been a tough go of it.  My kid has lost his mind and I’m trying to work 50+ hours a week from home which is a huge adjustment.  I’m not saving lives but the banks are essential and we don’t get a lot of credit for that.  I’m killing myself to make people happy and it’s not going well.  

• Love 10
21 minutes ago, geauxaway said:

It’s been a tough go of it.  My kid has lost his mind and I’m trying to work 50+ hours a week from home which is a huge adjustment.  I’m not saving lives but the banks are essential and we don’t get a lot of credit for that.  I’m killing myself to make people happy and it’s not going well.  

Thank you. 

• Love 8
(edited)
1 hour ago, geauxaway said:

My kid has lost his mind and I’m trying to work 50+ hours a week from home which is a huge adjustment.  I’m not saving lives but the banks are essential and we don’t get a lot of credit for that.  I’m killing myself to make people happy and it’s not going well.  

{Geauxaway}  Thank you for working so hard to keep the system  up and running smoothly - good thoughts to you and your child.

Edited by film noire
  • Love 10
28 minutes ago, ShawnaLanne said:

Thank you. 

2 minutes ago, film noire said:

{Geauxaway}  Thank you for working so hard to keep the system running smoothly - good thoughts to you and your child.

Ha!  My mom wants to send lil dude $12  for his bday (family tradition for generations) and I said do NOT send any cash ewwwww.  She was like so offended.  I’ll write him a check then.  🙄👍🏼🤣

• LOL 6
  • Love 2

Also, we have been doing a lot of retro family time.  Kiddo is getting in with Frank, Dino, and GMO.  So much music fun time while we cook, bake and fight.  I went ahead and ordered my mother day gift to me, the kitchen aid pasta attachment.  We will get by, I’m really just missing me momma and getting to make my garden. 🇮🇹🇮🇹🇮🇹

• Love 5
(edited)

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/lifestyle-buzz/a-97-year-old-wwii-veteran-was-filmed-dancing-to-cant-stop-the-feeling-and-it-made-justin-timberlakes-day/ar-BB12gmS7?li=BBnbcA0

A feel good since my attitude is not so great today.  

Also another thing ... a local area man celebrated his 87th birthday. Due to current conditions friends and family drove by his house tooting horns and with big smiles and HB signs on their vehicles wished him a HB.  He was delighted for sure.   Thought this was a beautiful idea. 

Take care all. 

Edited by Ellee
  • Love 7
9 hours ago, geauxaway said:

I said do NOT send any cash ewwwww.

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see how cash will survive going forward.  I very rarely use it anymore anyway, but I can see a percentage of population not even giving it a thought, plus I'm constantly amazed at how many don't have bank accounts or cards.

• Love 2
On 4/8/2020 at 12:59 AM, geauxaway said:

Ha!  My mom wants to send lil dude $12  for his bday (family tradition for generations) and I said do NOT send any cash ewwwww.  She was like so offended.  I’ll write him a check then.  🙄👍🏼🤣

Firstly, thank you too.  I’m a grandmother too and my girls won’t allow me to send anything to the house.  I’m always giving the kids cash too.  We just don’t know what to do.  Everything is so crazy and hard now.

• Love 3
(edited)

Thurs.  On a lighter note, I can’t watch the news anymore so I’m binging on the old N.Y. Housewives shows with Bethenny, Kelly, Jill and Alex.  Scary Island is t.v. Gold.  I’m just loving the reruns.  I just wish the old gang was on, excluding Kelly, lol.  It’s on tonight and I can’t wait.  Dorinda is scary tho.  They are still my favorite.  If it weren’t for the threads and my I pad, I would be bonkers these days.  Be safe everyone, and I love you all.  Xo

Edited by Silver Bells
  • Love 4
On 4/8/2020 at 12:07 AM, geauxaway said:

People don’t know what goes into a lot of jobs and how essential they are for all citizens. 
I, for one, appreciate all the behind he scenes people are every institution that enable us to be able to survive of the next few months.

We have become spoiled when we are used to having everything at a click of the button. 

Now, I worked for a few days helping my 80+ year old parents in New Mexico (I’m in Georgia) setting up Zoom so that our whole family could “get together” tonight.

My dad can’t see and is impatient, my mom doesn’t know anything about computers, and I use a Mac and they use a windows PC. To make a long story short - if only it was a click of a button... but we all connected tonight which was great since my niece was supposed to get married last weekend (after her dad, my brother, passed away suddenly in September r and her mom has stage 3 gallbladder cancer) 

- it wasn’t a click of the button, but I appreciate all the blessInns is do have.

Edited by Stats Queen
  • Love 6

Happy Easter!!!!!!  Hope y’all have a blessed day.  I sure plan to.  I’m cooking for just me and my boy, which is a huge change.  We miss being with our family here.  One of the good things tho is that we are able to watch live stream mass from my parents church, so it’s kinda like going to mass with them which we don’t usually get to do since we live in different states! 💕💕💕

• Love 6

April 16th:  I’m binging on the N.Y. Housewives repeats all day, by myself in my room.  Wow, good stuff.  It’s the Sonja drinking year.  Dorinda must have just started on the show as she is quiet in the beginning.  Season 7.  Towards the end, she drinking heavily, screaming and slurring her words.  Nobody knows what she’s talking about.  They are on some island on vacation.  She’s arguing with Heather.  How did Dorinda get on in the first place?  She’s always preaching like an old lady. Great t.v. tho.  I just love them.

• Love 6
On 4/26/2020 at 4:38 PM, Silver Bells said:

So,what happened with Jill Zarin?  I thought she was going to be a “friend of”.  Does somebody at Bravo not like her?  I thought she was dying to be on the show again.

I think the person at Bravo who doesn't like Jill is Andy.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Stats Queen said:

I was think the same thing yesterday.

What about “Reality Police”?  Last I spoke with her, she was getting better in the hospital.  Nothing since, even on the PM.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Silver Bells said:

What about “Reality Police”?  Last I spoke with her, she was getting better in the hospital.  Nothing since, even on the PM.

This isn’t good.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Stats Queen said:

This isn’t good.

I'm not usually in this particular forum, but it dawned on me that I hadn't seen her post with the new season of NYC HWs, and looking back, she posted here back in January.  I sure hope she's okay.  I feel like you all are friends, so when somebody hasn't posted in awhile, it's concerning.   Here's hoping that she and her animals are okay.  

• Love 8
4 hours ago, Happy Camper said:

I know that I am showing my age here, but this old memory just comes to mind:

Was just reading about her and the song over in the Royals forum.  She'll be part of a VE Day celebration in Britain today.  

• Love 3
(edited)

was this pre emeted for the summer house reunion? I turn on the TV, 12 minutes in because I napped and I hear Andy talking about fingerbang gate or some shit. *Oh yeah. It's  OC night. Let me check that board. Still WTF?

It's too much, y'all.

Edited by ShawnaLanne
  • LOL 4

OMG .. The freakin guy next door to my Condo is doing his daily workout because the gym is closed.  For the next hour, I have to gear the dumbbell he lifts crash on the pavement every time he puts it down, Ike every 10 seconds. I think I have to kill him.  He also does some exercise at 10:30 at night I think with a jump rope.  His bedroom wall is my bedroom wall.  If it isn’t his dog waking us up in the morning, it’s the dumbbells.

3 hours ago, Silver Bells said:

OMG .. The freakin guy next door to my Condo is doing his daily workout because the gym is closed.  For the next hour, I have to gear the dumbbell he lifts crash on the pavement every time he puts it down, Ike every 10 seconds. I think I have to kill him.  He also does some exercise at 10:30 at night I think with a jump rope.  His bedroom wall is my bedroom wall.  If it isn’t his dog waking us up in the morning, it’s the dumbbells.

Wow, that’s awful, if his dumbbells are crashing, he is probably either a)not doing it properly, b)lifting more weight than he should, c) is an awful neighbor; d) c and either/both a and/or b - otherwise...l

After 10:30 pm - just rude 

• Love 3
On 5/5/2020 at 2:51 AM, Happy Camper said:

I know that I am showing my age here, but this old memory just comes to mind:

Talking about memories, I just binged on two black n whites this afternoon on TCM .. Alice Adams and Saratoga Trunk.  They are real old, but I just love them.

• Love 2
(edited)
58 minutes ago, Silver Bells said:

Talking about memories, I just binged on two black n whites this afternoon on TCM .. Alice Adams and Saratoga Trunk.  They are real old, but I just love them.

Nothing better than the old black and whites. Tomorrow I'm going to watch "All About Eve'.  One of the best! Bette Davis ( Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy ride") and the unforgettable appearance of Marilyn (I don't want to make any trouble, all I want is a drink")

@film noire  Any other recommendations?

Edited by Happy Camper
  • Love 8
4 minutes ago, Happy Camper said:

Nothing better than the old black and whites. Tomorrow I'm going to watch "All About Eve'.  One of the best! Bette Davis ( Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy ride") and the unforgettable appearance of Marilyn (I don't want to make any trouble, all I want is a drink")

Bette Davis dancing in the Black gown with Henry Fonda in the ballroom just them two.  The best, lol.  One of her many Southern movies.

• Love 7
(edited)
1 hour ago, Silver Bells said:

Bette Davis dancing in the Black gown with Henry Fonda in the ballroom just them two.  The best, lol.  One of her many Southern movies.

Bette Davis, but then Kate Hepburn, Spencer Tracy. Good way to spend quarantine. Guess Who's Coming to Dinner at my place tomorrow right after All About Eve.

Edited by Happy Camper
  • Love 5
(edited)

Love both those movies, @Mindthinkr . 

4 hours ago, Happy Camper said:

Bette Davis, but then Kate Hepburn, Spencer Tracy. Good way to spend quarantine. Guess Who's Coming to Dinner at my place tomorrow right after All About Eve.

A fantastic double feature, HC! Get out the Jiffy Pop & let's watch  "The Women" next!

the women - Copy.jpg

Edited by film noire
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Happy Camper said:

Love that one, especially when they go to the ranch.

How about “Gaslight” and “Saratoga Trunk” and all Ingrid Bergman movies .. and All the “Thin Man” movies.  I have them all on my DVR.  “The Lady Eve” with Barbara Stanwick.  Shut me up.  One last one.  Lana Turner and Fernando Lamas .. dancing to “The Merry Widow” her in the white gown.  He was gorgeous!!!!  Ok, I’m done.  I’m a romantic, lol.

• Love 6

The Women, Dark Victory, Mildred Pierce, Now Voyager, Stage Door, Kitty Foyle...any Fred and Ginger movie, I have such happy memories watching these and more with my mother. That was her era and everyone looked so elegant, great suits for women, hat and gloves, the men had class and manners, le sigh.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

The Women, Dark Victory, Mildred Pierce, Now Voyager, Stage Door, Kitty Foyle...any Fred and Ginger movie, I have such happy memories watching these and more with my mother. That was her era and everyone looked so elegant, great suits for women, hat and gloves, the men had class and manners, le sigh.

I have “Flying Down to Rio” with Delores Del Rio on a tape.  The music/dance scene was what Otto Preminger decided to become a Director, or something to that affect.  Amazing dance number.  I love Ginger Rogers also and Fred Astaire of course.  She was the best dancer I ever saw.

• Love 3
(edited)
42 minutes ago, Silver Bells said:

I love Ginger Rogers also and Fred Astaire of course.  She was the best dancer I ever saw.

She was amazing - backwards and in heels!  - this is one of my favourite Astaire/Rogers dance numbers (from Swing Time).  Everything about it is so compelling -  the lighting (the set gleams as if lit by moonlight) the slow build, the music, their dancing, her dress - like a dream. 

Edited by film noire
  • Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, film noire said:

She was amazing - backwards and in heels!  - this is one of my favourite Astaire/Rogers dance numbers (from Swing Time).  Everything about it is so compelling -  the lighting (the set gleams as if lit by moonlight) the slow build, the music, their dancing, her dress - like a dream. 

How about “Heaven” from the picture Top Hat.  She had on a white dress with feathers all over it that flew around while she was dancing.  It’s amazing on U-Tube.

Beautiful !  How about the number with her in the white dress that had all the feathers all over it that flew around while she was dancing?  I think it was “Dancing in the Dark”.   Sorry, it was “Heaven” from “Top Hat”.  Just looked on u tube.

Edited by Silver Bells
Double post. Got a phone call in between.
  • Love 3

We all have relatives and friends who have lost their spouse. And some of the posters here have shared that they have lost their spouse. My sincere sympathy to everyone who has gone through such a terrible loss.

However, of all the friends and relatives I have who have lost spouses, no one - not one - has treated people the way Dorinda does. And not to make comparisons, but my mom lost the love of her life (my dad) unexpectedly after 45 years of marriage. Over the next 11 years (not much different than the time Dorinda has been a widow) she developed breast cancer twice, suffered a stroke where she lost her ability to speak, developed other illnesses including seizure disorder, and died of pancreatic cancer. She lived those last 11 years with grace, kindness, and dignity. Because that is who she was.  Dorinda is a mean person because that is who she is. 

I wish there was a way to give extra or more intense hearts for this, @UsernameFatigue. What a beautiful tribute to your mother. For what it's worth, my sincere condolences.

This hits me a little hard because my aunt died a few weeks ago; we ended up attending her burial over Zoom. She had ongoing troubles with colon cancer and was a pillar of strength after each surgery, but this time, the cancer was in her liver and it was too much. She was given a few months to live, but then the pandemic happened and she was isolated at the nursing home. I can't prove it, but I think the isolation--specifically not being able to see her husband, son, or grandsons--was a step too far for her spirit. The last thing she said to me was that she was so glad to see that I was recovering from MY cancer struggles and that she had been praying for me. As you said, you can tell a lot about who people really are if they use their hardships to be kind to others or as an excuse to tear others down.

• Love 9

So, no word from WalnutQueen to anybody?  I sent a PM over a week ago, and no reply.  Sigh.  If anybody finds out anything, please let us know.  She always has such great posts in these forums whether it's about the shows or about her animals.  

• Love 8
21 hours ago, Vanderboom said:

I wish there was a way to give extra or more intense hearts for this, @UsernameFatigue. What a beautiful tribute to your mother. For what it's worth, my sincere condolences.

This hits me a little hard because my aunt died a few weeks ago; we ended up attending her burial over Zoom. She had ongoing troubles with colon cancer and was a pillar of strength after each surgery, but this time, the cancer was in her liver and it was too much. She was given a few months to live, but then the pandemic happened and she was isolated at the nursing home. I can't prove it, but I think the isolation--specifically not being able to see her husband, son, or grandsons--was a step too far for her spirit. The last thing she said to me was that she was so glad to see that I was recovering from MY cancer struggles and that she had been praying for me. As you said, you can tell a lot about who people really are if they use their hardships to be kind to others or as an excuse to tear others down.

Thank you, VANDERBOOM. That was very sweet of you to post. My sincere condolences to you on the loss of your aunt. I feel so bad for both people who are hospitalized at this time an unable to see loved ones, and the stress that causes for loved ones. Your aunt sounds like she was a very sweet person. Also sending you healing vibes as you recover from cancer. It must be hard to see Dorinda whine, with what you have been dealing with! 

• Love 6