Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Regency Bar

• Start Topic

(edited)
10 hours ago, Silver Bells said:

I had a scam call this morning.  I answered the phone and a voice said “Grandma”?  I said yes, and he said it was Michael, my grandson.   It didn’t sound like him.  I knew it was a scammer and told him so.  He cursed me and said” you fu..kin bitch, and hung up.

I wish you'd strung them along for a bit  ("You need help, sweetie? Well, but I'm busy -  I'm doing big-assed lines of coke off the rock hard belly of my personal trainer - Granny can't send you nothing but good luck!")

Edited by film noire
  • LOL 8
9 hours ago, Stats Queen said:

That happened to my parents a few years ago with someone pretending to be my niece - such disgusting people out there.

Silver Bells I hope you are doing okay, I know you’ve been thru a lot lately

Thank you.  The usual, a bad fall with 35 stitches in the knees and two cataract surgeries, but I’m ok thanks to the hubs who chauffeurs me around until I can drive. ❤️🥰

• Love 2
6 hours ago, film noire said:

I wish you'd strung them along for a bit  ("You need help, sweetie? Well, but I'm busy -  I'm doing big-assed lines of coke off the rock hard belly of my personal trainer - Granny can't send you nothing but good luck!")

That is so funny.  I did string him along a bit .. that’s why he called me a fuc.ing bitch, lol.  The more I tell the story, the more i hear of others who got the same call.  Thanks.😍

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Ellee said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/lifestyle-buzz/sweet-dog-tied-to-shelter-gate-was-waiting-for-someone-to-notice-her/ar-BB116zzW?li=BBnbcA0

I’d have to hurt the people that did this.  

Wouldn’t the people that rehomed the dog know the names of who they gave the poor baby too?   

"Wouldn’t the people that rehomed the dog know the names of who they gave the poor baby too?"  

Dorit?

Edited by Happy Camper
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

How is everyone?  Are you all mostly staying in the house because of the virus?  My husband has been going to the stores to get what’s necessary, but I guess that’s like me going too.  If he gets something, so will i.  My girlfriend just flew back from Key West ( not afraid) and our friends are on a cruise in the Caribbean.  Guess they aren’t worried.  All schools closed here and colleges (Long Island), plus the City and Broadway.  Frightening.  I’m mostly watching Netflix and Hulu and reading.  I don’t know what to do.  What’s everyone of you all doing?  Staying in or what?

• Love 1

@Silver Bells - 

We too are mostly staying in.  I have been to the store a couple of times in the last 3-4 days, and we ate out early last week, but don't plan to do so again anytime soon.  My hubs is the trifecta of risk for this virus, and we plan on taking it seriously, though many don't agree.  Everyone just needs to do and act the way they feel is best for all.  I'm banging the #SocialDistancing drum hard right now.  If it's all hype, so be it. 

social distancing (2).jpg

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

@Silver Bells - 

We too are mostly staying in.  I have been to the store a couple of times in the last 3-4 days, and we ate out early last week, but don't plan to do so again anytime soon.  My hubs is the trifecta of risk for this virus, and we plan on taking it seriously, though many don't agree.  Everyone just needs to do and act they way they feel is best for all.  I'm banging the #SocialDistancing drum hard right now.  If it's all hype, so be it. 

social distancing (2).jpg

Well, thanks.  I guess we all are on the right track.  I’m using everything in my freezer finally.  Thank God for t.v. and the I pad or else I’d go bonkers.  Geeze .. how long will this go on?  Ridiculous.  I need fresh air.

• Love 3

We are home bodies on the weekend for the most part anyway, so it’s been business as usual around here.  Nothing has been determined in our school district yet, as we are on spring break this week.  I’ve cancelled our travel plans, which was a bummer, but the amusement park we were going to is closed, so no point in driving down there to sit in a hotel.  Hoping my online grocery order that I placed on Thursday night will stay on track for fulfillment this afternoon.  It’s all food, I already had stocked up on paper and cleaning products before all this broke out because I was due to purchase all those things (I do a quarterly Sam’s Club run for those things).  

The only thing I’m sad about is that we have decided not to move forward with our trip to France and Italy that was planned for this July.  Will try again next summer.

To pass the time we’ve been watching a lot of Netflix, Hulu and Disney +.  Thank goodness for all that!  I need to lay-off the online shopping, tho 🙄

If nothing else, my house is about to be super organized.

Stay safe and healthy, good people!  

• Love 5

I had been looking forward to a WWDTM taping at the Fox Theatre for the past month, but that got canceled the day before the national emergency was declared.

I normally stay at home and shop during non-peak times, so it’s business as usual for me, too. All the schools are closed (even my online classes, LOL), but I still have to go to work. It’s a call center, with lots of people gathered in the same space, so I am not happy. (I am a mild asthmatic.) Can’t wait for the day I can tell this job to kiss my ass.

• Love 3

I would rather err on the side or over-reacting versus underreacting.

I’m at high risk because of my autoimmune system (or lack thereof). I’m being very cautious- went out to eat this weekend, but limiting my contact with people.

We are blessed as my husband works from home, we don’t have kids, and we don’t work in the tourism industry. I won’t be able to find a new project for sometime since what I do is the first things companies cut during tough economic times. We can live fine on just hubby’s income., but nicer on mine.

I see a lot of Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Hulu in my immediate futures.

My niece’s wedding is April 4th in Denver, so we don’t know what will happen with that.

• Love 7
9 hours ago, link417 said:

Can’t wait for the day I can tell this job to kiss my ass.

Back in 2009, I called my husband from work and asked if I could just quit without another job (was a bad economy for me to do that) and he said let’s discuss when you get home. An hour later I called to tell him I was getting laid off! They laid me off but they screwed themselves by laying me off (I mean, who else we’re you going to hire that did work they Governor of Georgia was impressed with - which dragon lady let slip in a meeting then realized I was there - well, she screwed herself by killing the goose that laid the golden eggs).

That was the biggest favor I ever got from someone.

• Love 4

My mom has 37 percent lung capacity because of COPD and her visciously stupid in laws are arguing about her cancelling a dinner next week because they think everyo e is blowing it out of proportion. It's evil self involved crap.

13 hours ago, Stats Queen said:

I would rather err on the side or over-reacting versus underreacting.

I’m at high risk because of my autoimmune system (or lack thereof). I’m being very cautious- went out to eat this weekend, but limiting my contact with people.

We are blessed as my husband works from home, we don’t have kids, and we don’t work in the tourism industry. I won’t be able to find a new project for sometime since what I do is the first things companies cut during tough economic times. We can live fine on just hubby’s income., but nicer on mine.

I see a lot of Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Hulu in my immediate futures.

My niece’s wedding is April 4th in Denver, so we don’t know what will happen with that.

The few times we went in the car for some air, the lines for fast food were long.  I don’t think fast food is a good idea either.  Pizza too.  I have a second cataract surgery scheduled for a week from today at the hospital.  Maybe I’ll get a call to cancel .. I don’t know.  Maybe I should cancel?  I have to decide as it’s not like it’s an emergency.  Everything is confusing.  We’re retired, so I don’t have to worry about going to work at least.  I feel bad for people that are alone and have no one to depend on.  Supermarket delivery and pharmacies are helpful as they deliver.  People we know had a wedding in Miami, but it was cancelled as there were lots of travelers.  My daughter told me Andy Cohen is getting texts to put the N.Y. Housewives on now so we have something to watch.  Disney released a movie early too for the kids at home.  What a mess.  How long can this go on?

• Love 2
13 hours ago, ShawnaLanne said:

My mom has 37 percent lung capacity because of COPD and her visciously stupid in laws are arguing about her cancelling a dinner next week because they think everyo e is blowing it out of proportion. It's evil self involved crap.

So, my girlfriend just flew back from Key West where everyone was partying and having a blast.  She went thru Kennedy Airport without a care in the world and just laughs this whole scare off.  NOTHING stops some people.  COPD is no joke.  It’s not worth a crummy dinner.

• Love 6

When I arrived at work on Tuesday, I was told TPTB were finally letting us telework. I haven’t stepped foot outside since. 😅

Gonna have to brave the crowds to get food Saturday, though. Trying not to get too anxious about that, as I’m the type of person who normally shops at 2am just to avoid crowds.

• Love 3
On 3/16/2020 at 10:46 AM, Silver Bells said:

COPD is no joke.

My close friend just lost her mother to COPD yesterday morning, she dragged an oxygen tank around for the last 10 years, she was a long time smoker.  

Currently I am smelling my neighbor's cigarette smoke like a chimney from her garage. 

12 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

My close friend just lost her mother to COPD yesterday morning, she dragged an oxygen tank around for the last 10 years, she was a long time smoker.  

Currently I am smelling my neighbor's cigarette smoke like a chimney from her garage. 

The last time I had bronchitis, I couldn’t breathe so they gave me the inhaler.  I couldn’t walk four feet without getting winded.   I’m scared of that feeling like you are suffercating and feel sorry for people that have that often.  

7 hours ago, ShawnaLanne said:

So in the spirit of distractions are good, who do you think, of the houseeives, is most miserable stuck at home with their family?

Well, my daughter told me Ramona is in Florida with Mario and their daughter.  Maybe he’s finished with his young girlfriends and will go back with her?  I hope.  Bethenny is cooking with Martha Stewart in the Hamptons, and Andy Cohen has the Corona Virus.  I think most of the N.Y. Housewives are out of the city and in the Hamptons.  Most have their kids home from College.  Maybe those who are stuck in their apartments are miserable if they stood in the City.  Why Luanne?  She doesn’t like to be with the kids?

Edited by Silver Bells
  • Love 2
16 minutes ago, Silver Bells said:

Well, my daughter told me Ramona is in Florida with Mario and their daughter.  Maybe he’s finished with his young girlfriends and will go back with her?  I hope.  Bethenny is cooking with Martha Stewart in the Hamptons, and Andy Cohen has the Corona Virus.  I think most of the N.Y. Housewives are out of the city and in the Hamptons.  Most have their kids home from College.  Maybe those who are stuck in their apartments are miserable if they stood in the City.  Why Luanne?  She doesn’t like to be with the kids?

I didn't post Luanne, but I agree'd because I don't think she has a great relationship with her kids, as far as we know she's sans a signigant other, and she appears to be one of those people who really needs attention, so being trapped at home would suck.

I would not be able to firgive Mario but if Ramona can, good for her, and I do hope they get back together. 

Bethenny is hanging with Martha Stewart, whaaaat? I didn't think they were on good terms. Hmm. I wonder if she ir Hoppy have their daughter.

I hope Sonja has a minder and that Andy's baby is okay.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, ShawnaLanne said:

I didn't post Luanne, but I agree'd because I don't think she has a great relationship with her kids, as far as we know she's sans a signigant other, and she appears to be one of those people who really needs attention, so being trapped at home would suck.

I would not be able to firgive Mario but if Ramona can, good for her, and I do hope they get back together. 

Bethenny is hanging with Martha Stewart, whaaaat? I didn't think they were on good terms. Hmm. I wonder if she ir Hoppy have their daughter.

I hope Sonja has a minder and that Andy's baby is okay.

Yeah, now I remember LuAnn always leaving the kids with the housekeeper and going out.  They are all tight out there in the Hamptons.  Bethenny, Christie Brinkley, Martha, etc.  They are in the local papers frequently.  Sonja is probably there staying with someone.  Bryn probably with Bethenny.  

• Love 2
On 3/16/2020 at 10:46 AM, Silver Bells said:

So, my girlfriend just flew back from Key West where everyone was partying and having a blast.  She went thru Kennedy Airport without a care in the world and just laughs this whole scare off.  NOTHING stops some people.  COPD is no joke.  It’s not worth a crummy dinner.

I was in Key West in mid January and if I had known then, what was going on, I would NOT have gone at all.  A lady sitting behind me on flight back coughed the entire flight!  I didn't get sick though.  It wasn't until late Feb when I got the cold from hell.  It was so rough, with the resulting bronchitis, that I feel grateful to have recovered from it.  It has taken a month!

I'm working from home and have no intentions of going out. I'm opening mail and packages on the deck with gloves on and discarding of the envelops, then washing hands to avoid infection from mail and delivered items. I am Type I diabetic that's well controlled, but, you never know.  I feel vulnerable. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I'm working from home and have no intentions of going out. I'm opening mail and packages on the deck with gloves on and discarding of the envelops, then washing hands to avoid infection from mail and delivered items. I am Type I diabetic that's well controlled, but, you never know.  I feel vulnerable. 

Me too, I have a compromised immune system so not leaving the house except for walks. Luckily I have a wonderful husband who can go out an about. However, I won’t touch any mail and I stayed in the other room when he picked up to go food from restaurants. I feel vulnerable also. Not to mention that I am not working now (I do project based work with most projects lasting 3-5 months). I will not be finding work for a long time because what I do. 

• Love 4
14 hours ago, Stats Queen said:

Me too, I have a compromised immune system so not leaving the house except for walks. Luckily I have a wonderful husband who can go out an about. However, I won’t touch any mail and I stayed in the other room when he picked up to go food from restaurants. I feel vulnerable also. Not to mention that I am not working now (I do project based work with most projects lasting 3-5 months). I will not be finding work for a long time because what I do. 

Geeze, I haven’t thought about the mail .. who’s touching it and where it came from.  My husband also goes to the store in the morning, gets the mail, etc.  if we get take out, who knows who’s packing and preparing it?  You can’t win if you think about it.  Another two or three months I’m thinking .. maybe more.

• Love 1
45 minutes ago, Silver Bells said:

Geeze, I haven’t thought about the mail .. who’s touching it and where it came from.  My husband also goes to the store in the morning, gets the mail, etc.  if we get take out, who knows who’s packing and preparing it?  You can’t win if you think about it.  Another two or three months I’m thinking .. maybe more.

What’s with Bravo?  Where’s Southern Charm?  Is N.Y. Housewives the only show coming back?  I’m forced to watch the crap shows 90 day fiancé, Married at First sight.  So many commercials.  Andy has the virus in the city.  Hope baby is ok.  He’s a chunker cutie with all that black hair.  Adorable.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Silver Bells said:

I've gotten takeout twice since the 17th.  I have suspended my disbelief both times, so as to not run screaming from it.  In both cases I handled the containers with gloved hands, moved the food onto my containers, then immediately tossed the takeout boxes.  Recommended to microwave the food (for an ambiguous period of time) with the intention of zapping that corona emeffer.  Depending on how this progresses, I may not have it in me to do it again.

I'm all I can do to go to the grocery at this point.  

• Love 5
On 3/21/2020 at 11:00 PM, Silver Bells said:

Bethenny is cooking with Martha Stewart in the Hamptons,

On 3/21/2020 at 11:20 PM, ShawnaLanne said:

Bethenny is hanging with Martha Stewart, whaaaat? I didn't think they were on good terms. Hmm.

On 3/21/2020 at 11:37 PM, Silver Bells said:

They are all tight out there in the Hamptons.  Bethenny, Christie Brinkley, Martha, etc.  They are in the local papers frequently.

Unless something has changed recently, Martha doesn't like Bethenny and doesn't appreciate how Bethenny tells the press that they don't get along. They are in "I don't know her" territory.

Stay safe and wash your hands.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

Unless something has changed recently, Martha doesn't like Bethenny and doesn't appreciate how Bethenny tells the press that they don't get along. They are in "I don't know her" territory.

Stay safe and wash your hands.

I thought so too until I read the article in either Newsday or I saw it on one of the Entertainment shows on tv.  

Not about any housewives, but an article last week about how terrible some of the very wealthy New Yorkers are being fleeing for the Hamptons and socializing there, as if it's a protective bubble. And the service people who live there year round can't get their basic supplies. Kind of sickening.  Although I can't blame them for wanting to get out of congested New York. The other problem is that people in very hot spot risk areas are now leaving and fleeing to little coastal vacation spot/retirement communities, where there is a large population of more high risk elderly individuals. They are supposed to be "self-quarantine-ing" when they arrive here, but some of these elitist, entitled people are so not going to do that. 

https://nypost.com/2020/03/19/we-should-blow-up-the-bridges-coronavirus-leads-to-class-warfare-in-hamptons/

https://nypost.com/2020/03/18/chic-hamptons-food-stores-ransacked-by-the-wealthy-amid-coronavirus-pandemic/

Edited by divsc
typo
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, divsc said:

Not about any housewives, but an article last week about how terrible some of the very wealthy New Yorkers are being fleeing for the Hamptons and socializing there, as if it's a protective bubble. And the service people who live their year round can't get their basic supplies. Kind of sickening.  Although I can't blame them for wanting to get out of congested New York. The other problem is that people in very hot spot risk areas are now leaving and fleeing to little coastal vacation spot/retirement communities, where there is a large population of more high risk elderly individuals. They are supposed to be "self-quarantine-ing" when they arrive here, but some of these elitist, entitled people are so not going to do that. 

https://nypost.com/2020/03/19/we-should-blow-up-the-bridges-coronavirus-leads-to-class-warfare-in-hamptons/

https://nypost.com/2020/03/18/chic-hamptons-food-stores-ransacked-by-the-wealthy-amid-coronavirus-pandemic/

I saw something similar about people in England encountering the same issues in some of the coastal resort / 2nd home areas. 

What part of STAY AT HOME, do these people not understand?  That doesn’t mean go on vacation to your 2nd home.  

• Love 9
5 hours ago, geauxaway said:

I saw something similar about people in England encountering the same issues in some of the coastal resort / 2nd home areas. 

What part of STAY AT HOME, do these people not understand?  That doesn’t mean go on vacation to your 2nd home.  

I will defend people who don't follow common sense directives only to say that a percentage, probably a big percentage of them I believe are actually going through a sense of suspended belief.  Can't really fathom what is going on, almost trying to protect their psyche, too surreal or something, so they chose not to believe it.  Then there are the conspiracy theorists, not saying anyone is wrong necessarily, then there are those of use somewhere in the middle.  I have taken this seriously all along, with a very vulnerable husband I sort of have to, but I can feel how time is chipping away at it a bit.  The other side of this should prove an interesting place to be.

Take care all.  

p.s.:  I have mad respect for people who clean like this all the time, lol.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Love 5

Confirmed cases in my county have gone from 7 to 52 in one week. I live in a small college town, but the population does skew a bit older, so I hope people have been taking the experts seriously and staying home. (I wouldn’t know — I haven’t gone anywhere since I started working from home last week Tuesday.)

I expect that number to get *much* larger in the coming weeks. I saw a report from the Weather Channel that said the U.S. has already surpassed the number of cases reported (emphasis on “reported”) by China.

• Love 4

So one of my best friends is a CO at a county jail.  They have had to release about 400 inmates because of this.  Not to house arrest, just flat out released.  Let that sink in before you think about violating the stay at home orders (not you, you).   Now, they will have to come back at some point ( is my understanding, to complete their sentences or whatever), but in the meantime they are free.   This is all sorts of effed up!  But, if you want to commit a crime, I guess now is the time!  🤦🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️

I know there is much more serious news, but just wanted to throw in something that might distract if you have time on your hands.  (I'm still working remotely and actually, have a lot of paperwork to do.) But, Spectrum is offering free Showtime for a couple of weeks, if you're interested.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, geauxaway said:

So one of my best friends is a CO at a county jail.  They have had to release about 400 inmates because of this.  Not to house arrest, just flat out released.  Let that sink in before you think about violating the stay at home orders (not you, you).   Now, they will have to come back at some point ( is my understanding, to complete their sentences or whatever), but in the meantime they are free.   This is all sorts of effed up!  But, if you want to commit a crime, I guess now is the time!  🤦🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️

If anyone wants to start a group chat to brainstorm some ideas, I’m in!

(Just kidding, Special Agent So-and-So! 😉

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, link417 said:

If anyone wants to start a group chat to brainstorm some ideas, I’m in!

(Just kidding, Special Agent So-and-So! 😉

I’m not lying when I say this shit pisses me off considering I was in lock up this time of year 2012.  I chaps my ass knowing I got no grace and had to put up.  Oh well, you live and learn.  

• Love 2
20 hours ago, LucindaWalsh said:

@Otherkate  Brought from the BF thread. I have empathy for what you are feeling for your community and your friends at this time. I hope you find a way to cope in the duration of this horrible virus and that you can continue to come here and dish with all of us about our silly RHNY show. Smiles to you...

Thank you so much. I could feel myself getting irrational in that thread and had to moderate myself. Honestly, things are just so bad for our healthcare workers here right now that the insinuation that things were being exaggerated was enough to make me lose it. I couldn't sleep last night, though I know many of us are living with insomnia these days. Full disclosure: I live with a doctor here who works in one of our hospitals and, honestly, I think we're in for a real crisis - mental health-wise as well as physical. Things are dark. My doc is normally pretty blase about everything - god forbid you think you're sick because he's the first to tell you to take a Tylenol, shut it, and move on. Our hospitals are always insanely busy, this is something else and the gear is a continuing issue. Hoping for the best for our healthcare workers around the world.

I read this this morning and think it's pretty on target.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/30/nyregion/ny-coronavirus-doctors-sick.html

I will say, though, when I couldn't sleep last night, I watched an NYC marathon and it did wonders for my mood. I'm counting down the days until our crazies return to us. I don't know what I would do without these dumb shows right now. I'm almost considering starting Summer House. Should I???

• Love 11

I've reached out to friends today and feel better.  I can't let myself get too down, because, it's not productive. Also, the state bar is sponsoring a webinar on dealing with this crisis.  FREE CLE credit too.  I'm looking forward to it. It's called, the Calm in The Storm.   

I've talked to quite a few people who are still working and their lives are continuing on.  Shocked me.  I've been freaking out over any little piece of matter that came into the house without being disinfected.  I'm borderline germaphobe anyway.  I also spoke with clients and got new cases, which is a surprise. If I do live through this, I will be a much better person, lawyer, friend and citizen. That's for sure!  

I just saw this online.  WHY are all these people standing so close together!  Shocking!  In NC we are ORDERED to stay at least 6 feet from any other person, while in public. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8167815/Help-Navy-hospital-ship-USNS-Comfort-docks-New-York-harbor.html

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 4

I am also anxiously awaiting the new season.  In the evenings I try my best to find something compelling to watch in the evenings to take my mind off everything but it’s been hard.  I’ve been binge watching Homeland and while it holds my attention it’s not exactly light or uplifting.  Hope to hear from some of you later on the episode tread.  Take care all!

• Love 6

My son in law is a N.Y.C. Fireman.  Besides going to fires, he is doing first responding also.  CPR on virus victims.  He comes home and sleeps in the basement with the dog like many of his co workers who either sleep in their cars or their basements.  They all have wives and children they haven’t been near for weeks now.  Doctors, nurses, Firemen, Cops.  They all deserve a bonus from somewhere.

• Love 6
(edited)
8 hours ago, Silver Bells said:

They all deserve a bonus from somewhere.

Not enough money or gratitude in the world, Silver Bells  -  "heroic" doesn't even begin to cover what your son-in-law is doing for all of us right now  - hugs to you & yours as you wait out this nightmare.

Edited by film noire
  • Love 8