Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Regency Bar

• Start Topic

On 5/17/2021 at 9:51 AM, TV Diva Queen said:

When Broadway tickets went on sale last week - Mom called and said lets go see Hamilton.  She said put together a 4 day plan for us.  So I got the Hamilton tickets and then booked a hotel - we usually stay in Times Square just for convenience, but Times Square is a little rough at this current moment....so we're staying that the Regency!  I told mom there's a pick up bar for people her age, LOL (she's a tad older, but she loves a drink at places where men still wear a coat).  

No gonna lie - I would just die if I saw a HW.  

I miss it so much. Last summer I was down several times for work and it was every bit the ghost town they showed in the filler segments. It was surreal. I'd be in the Uber on the way back to Penn Station and we'd cruise right through Times Square and there was NO ONE around. It was a very strange experience. We'll need a Regency review 😄

• Like 1
  • Love 5
(edited)
On 5/17/2021 at 9:51 AM, TV Diva Queen said:

When Broadway tickets went on sale last week - Mom called and said lets go see Hamilton.  She said put together a 4 day plan for us.  So I got the Hamilton tickets and then booked a hotel - we usually stay in Times Square just for convenience, but Times Square is a little rough at this current moment....so we're staying that the Regency!  I told mom there's a pick up bar for people her age, LOL (she's a tad older, but she loves a drink at places where men still wear a coat).  

No gonna lie - I would just die if I saw a HW.  

What about Harry Dubin? Is that where Tinsley saw him and Ramona playing tonsil hockey? If you see him, be sure to avoid direct eye contact, lest he cast you (or your mother) under his spell. He must drip charisma and charm, or maybe the HWs (Aviva, Luann, Sonja, Ramona,..) are just desperate and/or gullible.

Please report back and at let us know how it is. Have a great time!

Edited by SweetieDarling
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6

OK NYC peep!  I asked my son where he wanted to go for vacation that’s not the beach and not to Mimi’s. He said I want to see the Statue of Liberty.  So....I booked flights for his fall break.  I also booked a hotel on Times Square.  Is that ok?  Is that area ok?  My plan is to do a boat/ferry tour around Lady Liberty, carriage ride in Central Park, ride on the subway, buy something expensive in a fancy store and eat some good food (a slice and hot dogs).  This is a trip for my kid not me.... 😂

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
20 minutes ago, geauxaway said:

OK NYC peep!  I asked my son where he wanted to go for vacation that’s not the beach and not to Mimi’s. He said I want to see the Statue of Liberty.  So....I booked flights for his fall break.  I also booked a hotel on Times Square.  Is that ok?  Is that area ok?  My plan is to do a boat/ferry tour around Lady Liberty, carriage ride in Central Park, ride on the subway, buy something expensive in a fancy store and eat some good food (a slice and hot dogs).  This is a trip for my kid not me.... 😂

So many places, but the Museum of Natural History he would love.  He wants to see the Statue of Liberty?  He must be a great kid .. that is so precious.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Hangin Out said:

So many places, but the Museum of Natural History he would love.  He wants to see the Statue of Liberty?  He must be a great kid .. that is so precious.

He’s not a museum kid at all.  He’s ID / DD (he doesn’t read fluently at all) so I was just floored when he said the Statue of Liberty.  I’m like yes we can do that!  🥰.  I just really want to be safe.  I saw some comments after I booked the hotel there which I thought was in a tourist area?

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, geauxaway said:

Some trains are safer than others. The Q train is local and goes up the UES. You can pick it up on 49th Street and take it up probably no further than 86th and walk over and down Madison or Park. Or cross over and walk around Central Park.

Dylan's Candy Bar by Union Square is a fun stop. Black Tap for burgers and Crazy Shakes is always super fun. I like the SoHo location which is now reopened. 

You can very easily rent bikes in Central Park and go for a ride on the bike paths. There is also the Central Park Zoo. Wollman or the Rockefeller rink might be open by that time. Bloomingdales for something fancy and maybe a treat - they have Magnolia Bakery.

I'll tell you this from my firsthand experience, especially around Times Square, but it is everywhere. Be prepared for people without housing and people under the influence substances who may behave erratically. Keep your eyes up and just keep moving. If anyone begins to make you feel uncomfortable or unsafe, don't engage, just move away as calmly as you can. Hopefully things will have improved a bit by then, but you'll be fine!

ETA: If you find you are running out of steam at the end of the day and just want to go back to your hotel, make sure you have a couple delivery apps on your phone e.g., GrubHub, DoorDash. All of the hotels are very well equipped to accept deliveries. Either the desk will call you when it arrives or the app will let you know when it's been dropped off. They line up the bags on a table or hold them behind the desk. Easy peasy, you don't have to spend a fortune on room service and you can get some seriously yummy food. Do some research on the kinds of things you like before you go. 

Edited by RedDelicious
  • Useful 2
  • Love 7

I know the museum of natural history has an autism focused tour as well.

Bryant Park has outdoor shopping and kiosks to eat.

The Central Park Zoo is small enough to be manageable and big enough to be interesting and their penguins have more personality than should be allowed.

Times Square also has outdoor kiosks for snacks.  The Library is near Bryant Park and usually has some free exhibit you can wander through.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, bosawks said:

I know the museum of natural history has an autism focused tour as well.

Though I believe it’s only once a month or at least that’s what it was last time my cousin tried to book but that was pre-Covid. 

• Love 2

Thank y’all for all the input!  I have been to NYC as a kid with my parents in the 80’s. I’m not scared of a big city so much, but my past travels to big cities were alone not with kiddo.  Like I’m cool navigating around London on my own, but that was back in the day!  And then you add COVID and some of this unrest stuff and I just IDK.  

@RedDelicious ohhhhh thank you for the Dylan’s Candy Bar recco.  That’s kiddos namesake.  They had a pop up here in our target a couple years ago and we flipped over it!!!

• Love 3
1 minute ago, geauxaway said:

Thank y’all for all the input!  I have been to NYC as a kid with my parents in the 80’s. I’m not scared of a big city so much, but my past travels to big cities were alone not with kiddo.  Like I’m cool navigating around London on my own, but that was back in the day!  And then you add COVID and some of this unrest stuff and I just IDK.  

@RedDelicious ohhhhh thank you for the Dylan’s Candy Bar recco.  That’s kiddos namesake.  They had a pop up here in our target a couple years ago and we flipped over it!!!

Very welcome!  I feel like with a young person you must have this dining experience:

https://blacktap.com/restaurant-menu/soho/

My personal favorite is the Bam Bam. I wouldn't do the Cake Shake bc it's just a kind of sh*tty piece of funfetti cake on top of a shake and not particularly interesting. The other one they had that I loved was Sour Power (it was limited release). I'm kind of obsessed 😉 Google Black Tap Crazy Shakes and you'll find some of the super fun special editions that they've done over the years.

• Love 1

We took our young kids to NYC in January 2020 and stayed in Times Square. Watch out for the characters. One of them started talking to my 6 year old and they all swarmed around us and demanded money. That was the most annoying part of our trip. The LEGO store in Rockefeller Center was pretty cool too!

• Love 2
(edited)

I pulled a Ramona with my words today. I was out running errands and stopped into a Dollar General Store, aka our local Neiman Marcus, and this store was particularly neat and organized.  Most of them around here look like the Tazmanian Devil went through them.  The manager happened to be at the register, so I commented on how nice his store looked.  While trying to say 'kudos' to him, it ended up coming out something like ka-doze.  Even I had a WTH moment!  Note to self:  never try to use the word 'kudos' ever again.  I've heard 'kadooz' so much that now even I'm confused.  :)  

Edited by ChitChat
  • LOL 15
  • Love 1
On 5/28/2021 at 11:25 AM, DudeLeaveMeAlone said:

We took our young kids to NYC in January 2020 and stayed in Times Square. Watch out for the characters. One of them started talking to my 6 year old and they all swarmed around us and demanded money. That was the most annoying part of our trip. The LEGO store in Rockefeller Center was pretty cool too!

Thanks for the advice.  That much doesn’t scare me as much as some of the other purported things going on.  I’m not saying anything about anything, I’m just not wanting to walk into a high conflict area.  🥰

5 hours ago, ChitChat said:

I pulled a Ramona with my words today. I was out running errands and stopped into a Dollar General Store, aka our local Neiman Marcus, and this store was particularly neat and organized.  Most of them around here look like the Tazmanian Devil went through them.  The manager happened to be at the register, so I commented on how nice his store looked.  While trying to say 'kudos' to him, it ended up coming out something like ka-doze.  Even I had a WTH moment!  Note to self:  never try to use the word 'kudos' ever again.  I've heard 'kadooz' so much that now even I'm confused.  :)  

😂😂😂.  That’s great.  I’ve had HW moments that no one would “get” either and I’m like 🙄

• Love 4
5 hours ago, ChitChat said:

Thanks to Teen Mom, I have the same issue with wanting to pronounce "dramatic" as "dramastic". It just flows off the tongue.

• Like 1
  • LOL 7
8 minutes ago, SweetieDarling said:

Thanks to Teen Mom, I have the same issue with wanting to pronounce "dramatic" as "dramastic". It just flows off the tongue.

JESUS GOD SWEETIEDARLING

• LOL 2
(edited)

Black and Asian people don't have the same path to assimilation open to them.

I'm asking in a calm and nice manner (no snark!!)  What, in particular, are you referring to with Asian people?  The reason I ask is that I have a BIL who is of Asian descent.  He was educated when he came to the U.S., but shortly after he arrived 9/11 happened and he had a difficult time getting a job.  He had a green card at the time, so I assumed it was because of that and not because he was of Asian descent, and because a lot of things came to a grinding halt at that time.  Fast forward a year or so and he was in the workforce.  After a few years he was able to become a U.S. citizen.  He went back to college and got a degree.  He and my SIL now live in an affluent neighborhood in a big city.  

This is the only example I know of, so I would honestly like to know of the struggles of other Asians out there that I'm not aware of.   He was able to take advantage of the opportunities our country has and he is living the American dream!!  He worked really hard to achieve what he has, so our family is very proud of him.   

Edited by ChitChat
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, ChitChat said:

I'm asking in a calm and nice manner (no snark!!)  What, in particular, are you referring to with Asian people? 

No problem! I just meant that when speaking about immigrants from Italy or Ireland or whatever assimilating, those groups ultimately got classed as white, while being black or Asian is seen as a different race, so "different" (or often foreign) in a way that a white Italian person would be, even though, of course, a particular Asian-American person might be more advantaged than an Italian-American person in plenty of other ways.

It's funny this in particular just came up, because last night John Oliver did a piece on it, going into the history etc. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
(edited)

Quoting myself from the Burning Up episode thread, for context:

ETA: I have been called the wrong name my entire life. Even at my high school graduation, the class president, who I’d known since we became friends in second grade, called me by the wrong first name when it was my turn to cross the stage. And I have a very simple, common first name. I have no idea why to this day people can’t get my name straight, but I guess people are just like that. Somebody at work just did it two weeks ago. Ramona didn’t go Hilly Holbrook on us. She’s just Ramona. Her mannerisms, like the talking over and not remembering names/faces somewhat align with ADD. 

Fast forward to present day. I just filed a claim with the Better Business Bureau regarding a purchase from an online luxury consignment outfit (I won). In their response they called me the wrong name, which is also the name I was called at my high school graduation.

I'm not offended - it happens ALL the time. I was down at a jobsite AGAIN a week ago and the same thing happened. Then I was visiting a neighbor on Saturday and they said bye <totally different wrong name> as I was leaving. I turned around and said "it's <correct name>" to which he replied F*CK!! And we had a good laugh 😊

I answer to both/all - if I have the opportunity to tell someone the correct name without embarrassing them, I do. But otherwise I just let it go. It probably won't ever change. In my case people just get their apples wrong.

ETA: To make things even more interesting, I have an uncommon, somewhat ethnic sounding last name. I have been asked point blank by people at work and people who are meeting me for the first time: 1) are you adopted 2) are you married to a/an <insert race here> guy 3) are you divorced 4) are you related to XYZ surgeon at X hospital who has the same last name 5) if none of the above, how did you get your last name. I have also been told 1) I was expecting someone completely different 2) I had to look you up on LinkedIn to make sure I had the right person. Very interesting.

Without disclosing my name, my race or what I look like, I'm pretty plain and dress mainstream. I'd say I'm middle of the road as far as looks. You wouldn't single me out in a crowd. The questions don't bother me, as they shouldn't, except for when I think to myself, would it have bothered you if I was <XYZ>.  I've been asked as well if I am gay or people have said oh I thought you were gay, because I'm not married. By people at completely different companies. Again, doesn't bother me. And I'm not uncomfortable answering questions. People are naturally curious and that's okay. I'll be transparent though, it does feel a little weird sometimes. But it certainly doesn't bother me and it's never felt like a threat, except when it's a guy who wouldn't leave me alone.

The most interesting part is I have a wedding band style ring that I have worn when traveling and for certain work situations. You'd be surprised how predatory and intrusive the guy sitting next to you on a plane can be. And at work, people constantly size other people up and make assumptions based on their outward appearance and whether they are married. Nobody ever asks me questions when I wear the ring. 

Edited by RedDelicious
  • Love 5
(edited)
59 minutes ago, RedDelicious said:

answer to both/all - if I have the opportunity to tell someone the correct name without embarrassing them, I do. But otherwise I just let it go. It probably won't ever change. In my case people just get their apples wrong.

I have a name that can be pronounced in different ways, I choose to correct twice and then not give a shit, I have a dear friend of 20 years who can’t for the life of her say my name how I choose to pronounce it because she doesn’t hear the difference (I also don’t hear how I pronounce bagel differently than most people).  We joke that it’s her nickname for me. That is a choice I have made about how my name is pronounced and if it matters to me. I would never in a million years suggest to others who’s names are mispronounced to just roll with it if it bothers them. Just because we have chosen that path doesn’t  mean that other people can’t be offended when people don’t say their name correctly.

As has been said for celebrities if you can learn to properly say “Ansel Elgort” you can learn to say “Lupita Nyong'o” it does in fact matter when people don’t put the same effort to learn and pronounce people’s names correctly.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
(edited)

I worked in a store where one of our regular customers called me Debbie (not my name) all the time. I had corrected her a few times, then stopped bothering, since it had no effect- plus, my name was on a plaque about 6 inches from her face as she was doing this, and I wore a name tag (neither of which identified me as Debbie). I'll never forget the look on a coworker's face when she asked me "Aren't you going to correct her?" and I, off-handedly, replied, "No".

Edited by SweetieDarling
  • LOL 5
  • Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, SweetieDarling said:

I had corrected her a few times, then stopped bothering, since it had no effect  - plus, my name was on a plaque about 6 inches from her face as she was doing this, and I wore a name tag (neither of which identified me as Debbie). 

You should start calling her Debbie ;)

Edited by film noire
  • LOL 14
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, SweetieDarling said:

I worked in a store where one of our regular customers called me Debbie (not my name) all the time. I had corrected her a few times, then stopped bothering, since it had no effect- plus, my name was on a plaque about 6 inches from her face as she was doing this, and I wore a name tag (neither of which identified me as Debbie). I'll never forget the look on a coworker's face when she asked me "Aren't you going to correct her?" and I, off-handedly, replied, "No".

Is Debbie short for Deborah or is your name completely different?  I introduced myself to a neighbor as Caroline. She immediately looked at me and said nice to meet you Carolyn.  No big deal.  But if she had called me Sharon or something totally different I might have thought wow she is a little off. Reminds me of when Kim Richards dicided that woman named Dana looked like a Pam so she continued to call her Pam. Weird.

• Love 2
On 5/27/2021 at 5:07 PM, RedDelicious said:

Very welcome!  I feel like with a young person you must have this dining experience:

https://blacktap.com/restaurant-menu/soho/

My personal favorite is the Bam Bam. I wouldn't do the Cake Shake bc it's just a kind of sh*tty piece of funfetti cake on top of a shake and not particularly interesting. The other one they had that I loved was Sour Power (it was limited release). I'm kind of obsessed 😉 Google Black Tap Crazy Shakes and you'll find some of the super fun special editions that they've done over the years.

The Bam Bam is my favorite! 

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, 65mickey said:

Is Debbie short for Deborah or is your name completely different?  I introduced myself to a neighbor as Caroline. She immediately looked at me and said nice to meet you Carolyn.  No big deal.  But if she had called me Sharon or something totally different I might have thought wow she is a little off. Reminds me of when Kim Richards dicided that woman named Dana looked like a Pam so she continued to call her Pam. Weird.

My name is completely different...well, it does start with D.

eta: It would be like your neighbor calling you Cathy.

Edited by SweetieDarling
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, film noire said:

You should start calling her Debbie ;)

I was tempted to be rude to her (she was a PITA), with the attitude of "I dare her to complain to the district manager about 'Debbie'", but I was better than that.

• Love 5
(edited)
6 hours ago, SweetieDarling said:

I was tempted to be rude to her (she was a PITA), with the attitude of "I dare her to complain to the district manager about 'Debbie'", but I was better than that.

Oh my god, that would've been beyond perfect, SweetieDarling!  ("Ma'am, for the tenth time, we have no employees named Debbie at that store... My name is Jen, not Cleo - I've checked the computer three times already and there IS no Debbie at that location - I'm not named Cleo, ma'am, I'm named Jen - no,  Jen is not Debbie's middle name...because there IS no Debbie at that location!  I'm not lying to you! Whoever you had an issue with is not named De-- please stop  yelling, ma'am - Well, I'm sorry you feel the need to complain about me. My supervisor's name is Debbie. Please tell her Cleo called you a total asshole.")

Edited by film noire
  • LOL 12
  • Love 2
(edited)

Moved from the episode thread 

18 hours ago, Maximona said:

That’s because mass murders when race was the main component  were typically called “race riots” rather than lynchings to make it seem mutual. Google can tell you more examples of the same crime described many ways based on a variety of factors here are a few:  34-80 black men killed on one  day, in the same city, and year (N.O.)  the Tulsa Race massacre where everyone acknowledges they can’t have an accurate death toll but it’s plus 30’s in the black community murdered and many, many  more stripped of wealth.

30 plus Chinese Americans murdered in a “race riot” in LA.

I am not suggesting that 11 Sicilians weren’t murdered and that it wasn’t tragic  and fucked up but to offer it up as the “largest lynching in American history” in such language is ignoring a lot of history.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, Feech said:

Unfortunately this her job. She is a professional black person. It was the role she played on Fox as well.

Eboni’s job is to be a grievance monger and to take offense at everything and blow it up to an incident that will provide a teachable moment to unwashed masses.

She is very good at her job.

Would you call the white folks on Fox News professional racists? Tucker is VERY good at his job. EXCELLENT at it. 

I think Eboni is stroking the fire as everyone does with THEIR stuff on these shows. I wish Leah had taken her conversion seriously, I can BET if anyone said anything offensive about her Religion it would be treated far differently than eboni’s issues.

Case In point my husband’s friend is Jewish, his wife didn’t convert, we differ on our views of the Middle East conflict and during a heated discussion, he told me he dealt with more racism than I have or my family. My husband backed him up saying how anti Semitic folks can be. I know how prevalent anti Semitism is,  but a white man, a wealthy white man, has in no way shape or form, regardless of his religious affiliation, has dealt with more RACISM than myself or my family BECAUSE religion is not a race. But it is easier for my husband to understand someone’s pain or point of view because that person looks more like him. My point is many white folks will sometimes  extend great empathy to some folks than to Black and Brown  Folks, sometimes even contradicting themselves. My hubs would tell myself or my black child that we take these micro aggressions too seriously unless he’s there when it happens. “If it’s not about you...” many don’t want to see it. 

Just now, lamujerdecente said:

Would you call the white folks on Fox News professional racists? Tucker is VERY good at his job. EXCELLENT at it. 

I think Eboni is stroking the fire as everyone does with THEIR stuff on these shows. I wish Leah had taken her conversion seriously, I can BET if anyone said anything offensive about her Religion it would be treated far differently than eboni’s issues and grievances. As much as Leah is detested on here, folks would respect her status as a member of the Jewish faith. This is my opinion but I seen it here as well. 

Case In point my husband’s friend is Jewish, his wife didn’t convert, we differ on our views of the Middle East conflict and during a heated discussion, he told me he dealt with more racism than I have or my family. My husband backed him up saying how anti Semitic folks can be. I know how prevalent anti Semitism is,  but a white man, a wealthy white man, has in no way shape or form, regardless of his religious affiliation, has dealt with more RACISM than myself or my family BECAUSE religion is not a race. But it is easier for my husband to understand someone’s pain or point of view because that person looks more like him. My point is many white folks will sometimes  extend great empathy to some folks than to Black and Brown  Folks, sometimes even contradicting themselves. My hubs would tell myself or my black child that we take these micro aggressions too seriously unless he’s there when it happens. “If it’s not about you...” many don’t want to see it. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

I once worked with 13 other people in a space about the size of Leah's last season apartment. I was 1 of 2 Caucasians, there were 3 Southeast Asians, and the other 9 people were Black women. We never had issues with microaggressions or accidental (ignorant?) racist comments (at least that I was aware of, and, allegedly, I was in charge). We, actually, had very open discussions about race. They asked why White people don't make conversation in elevators -something I had never thought about, but I was taught to mind my business and not bother people. We asked how they preferred to be identified: they said they preferred to be called "Black" vs African American -though one woman said she was "green" because she was from the suburbs. We (the non-Blacks) joked about teaching our families "ebonics" examples were given, acknowledged, and we all had a good laugh about some of the stereotypes, (I refused to do a Happy Dance when I found out I was pregnant because I dance like a White person). We may have made light of it, but we did learn from each other without being disrespectful or preached to. Why can't these women be like that? 

• Love 7

“Would you call the white folks on Fox News professional racists?”

A good chunk of them, probably.

“We may have made light of it, but we did learn from each other without being disrespectful or preached to. Why can't these women be like that?”

Lots of reasons. They might have felt more comfortable discussing some of those issues while being in the majority. Maybe they ignored other  microsaggressions you may have inadvertently presented or just didn’t know about. You guys may have been more receptive to hearing what they had to say. Maybe all of the above. Maybe none of the above. 

• Love 2
(edited)
17 hours ago, SweetieDarling said:

I once worked with 13 other people in a space about the size of Leah's last season apartment. I was 1 of 2 Caucasians, there were 3 Southeast Asians, and the other 9 people were Black women. We never had issues with microaggressions or accidental (ignorant?) racist comments (at least that I was aware of, and, allegedly, I was in charge). We, actually, had very open discussions about race. They asked why White people don't make conversation in elevators -something I had never thought about, but I was taught to mind my business and not bother people. We asked how they preferred to be identified: they said they preferred to be called "Black" vs African American -though one woman said she was "green" because she was from the suburbs. We (the non-Blacks) joked about teaching our families "ebonics" examples were given, acknowledged, and we all had a good laugh about some of the stereotypes, (I refused to do a Happy Dance when I found out I was pregnant because I dance like a White person). We may have made light of it, but we did learn from each other without being disrespectful or preached to. Why can't these women be like that? 

I worked at an agency which in our area was 75% black and 20% white. It was my first time with this kind of workplace demographics. I am white and my 4 subordinates were Black. We had mutual respect and I did learn a lot. 

In the workplace we developed mutual respect and listened to each other. I listened and learned

They and myself didn’t automatically automatically judge each other based upon the color of our skin nor did we assign traits and labels unto the other based solely upon the color on one’s skin.

I don’t think all the housewives on the showed the same consideration with each other (judging someone without really knowing them). - on both sides.

Edited by Stats Queen
  • Love 2
(edited)

I have a question, and I mean no disrespect, I am genuinely curious, if Luann had used the word "mad" or "upset" instead of "angry" would it have made a difference? or would that have also connected to the stereotype (which, honestly, I was totally unaware of)? 

I am always amazed by how tactless the women on the HW shows are. 

ETA: I think "angry" is a very strong word to use with someone you just met and are trying to build a friendship or work relationship with.

Edited by SweetieDarling
  • Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Why didn't Lu sing as her talent for that awful, embarrassing 70's prom beauty contest instead of her baton twirl?

I wish Leah would take a seat, she is brow beating us with the topic of racism when she herself does not have a dime in that dollar...I feel like she is egging on Eboni to be hyper focused on making it all about racism when it does not have to be.

Side note, about 12 years ago I bought a car for my son and before we actually bought it the owner volunteered to take it to a local garage for a safety check and to see if there were any issues that might change our mind about the purchase, it was put on the lift while we stood there, the mechanic mentioned it might need new brakes sooner rather than later, etc...I tried to negotiate a lower price to which the car seller told me, "don't try and Jew me down," I was shocked, speechless...this man was black and stood there like he said nothing wrong, (I am Jewish), he had no idea that what he said was offensive, unbelievable.  

After I bought the car I did mention that that phrase was not a nice thing to say he shrugged his shoulders, my question is if the shoe was on the other foot, my making a not so nice comment about his race or religion what have you it would have been explosive, would Leah have gone nuts on him for insulting me or she just focused on Eboni and her racism experiences?

Sadly there have been other experiences like the car purchase, I met a woman who told me about a local business that burned down because you know, "Jewish lightning," she had know idea what religion I am and had no shame in blurting that gem out.

Does Leah understand racism is not limited to African American experiences, I want her outraged by all racism or she can shut the fuck up. Also, Leah can just shut the fuck up.  I doubt she has had any bias experiences she can relate to.

2 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Why didn't Lu sing as her talent for that awful, embarrassing 70's prom beauty contest instead of her baton twirl?

I wish Leah would take a seat, she is brow beating us with the topic of racism when she herself does not have a dime in that dollar...I feel like she is egging on Eboni to be hyper focused on making it all about racism when it does not have to be.

Side note, about 12 years ago I bought a car for my son and before we actually bought it the owner volunteered to take it to a local garage for a safety check and to see if there were any issues that might change our mind about the purchase, it was put on the lift while we stood there, the mechanic mentioned it might need new brakes sooner rather than later, etc...I tried to negotiate a lower price to which the car seller told me, "don't try and Jew me down," I was shocked, speechless...this man was black and stood there like he said nothing wrong, (I am Jewish), he had no idea that what he said was offensive, unbelievable.  

After I bought the car I did mention that that phrase was not a nice thing to say he shrugged his shoulders, my question is if the shoe was on the other foot, my making a not so nice comment about his race or religion what have you it would have been explosive, would Leah have gone nuts on him for insulting me or she just focused on Eboni and her racism experiences?

Sadly there have been other experiences like the car purchase, I met a woman who told me about a local business that burned down because you know, "Jewish lightning," she had know idea what religion I am and had no shame in blurting that gem out.

Does Leah understand racism is not limited to African American experiences, I want her outraged by all racism or she can shut the fuck up. Also, Leah can just shut the fuck up.  I doubt she has had any bias experiences she can relate to.

I agree that prejudice goes across the board but what I noticed is never said when someone who isn't brown or black, Being Jewish is not a race, it is a faith and in some cases, a culture. It is also easier to assimilate and blend in when your skin isn't the shade that is considered the lower standard. I am a light skinned Afro Latina, I have had folks say racist trash in my presence, However it has been  Jewish folks, Latinos or "ethnic" minorites, because  white folks usually know I am not white. They ask me. COnstantly.

In college, my roommate moved out when she saw my dad, Her mother looked at my mom and I, asked us what we were. My mom replied Puerto Rican. SHe looked us in the eyes and said, "i thought you were Israeli." She marched her child out that room and got A NEW ROOM. They were Jewish BTW. 

Edited by lamujerdecente
  • Love 2
On 6/8/2021 at 1:33 PM, biakbiak said:

I have a name that can be pronounced in different ways, I choose to correct twice and then not give a shit, I have a dear friend of 20 years who can’t for the life of her say my name how I choose to pronounce it because she doesn’t hear the difference (I also don’t hear how I pronounce bagel differently than most people).  

Seriously, is your name Laura?  Because people who are not named Laura can rarely hear the difference between Lore-ah and Lare-ah, and I also understand because I can't hear the difference between pin and pen.

• Love 2

I have been rewatching “listening while I am working” from the beginning and I am on the end of season 9 - the Mexico trip when Luann fell into the bushes. 
Romana and Dorinda had to spend half the trip kowtowing/sucking up to Bethenny to get her in her good graces. Bethenny is such a hypocrite- she could dish it out and out and but couldn’t take it at all. 
I’ve said before, but rewatching the earlier seasons is like historical fiction, you already know the outcome. Because you know the outcome, you actually kind of recognize how these outcomes came about.

• Love 6
16 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

She told Heather that Yummie shouldn't get into jeans

Speaking of which.  I need to purchase some new shaping underwear….I’ve gotten a little fluffy during the last 18 months and now I have something coming up where I need to semi dress up.  Does anyone have any experience with Yummie?  Is it good / bad / comfortable / flattering?  Or any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Anything NOT skinny girl, that is.

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, geauxaway said:

Speaking of which.  I need to purchase some new shaping underwear….I’ve gotten a little fluffy during the last 18 months and now I have something coming up where I need to semi dress up.  Does anyone have any experience with Yummie?  Is it good / bad / comfortable / flattering?  Or any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Anything NOT skinny girl, that is.

They’re spendy but my go-to are the open bust shapers from Spanx. I have them in the above the knee (skirts/dresses) and below the knee (trousers and pant suits) in both nude and black. They are total lifesavers. I’ll go check the exact ones I have and add it to the post.

ETA: OnCore open bust mid thigh and Suit Your Fancy 

Edited by RedDelicious
1 hour ago, RedDelicious said:

They’re spendy but my go-to are the open bust shapers from Spanx. I have them in the above the knee (skirts/dresses) and below the knee (trousers and pant suits) in both nude and black. They are total lifesavers. I’ll go check the exact ones I have and add it to the post.

ETA: OnCore open bust mid thigh and Suit Your Fancy 

I have worn those too.  I like the amount of control where it counts.  My only problem is I am tall (5'11") and busty so the straps at the top tend to dig in for me.  

I did try Yummy Tummy.  I have a few lighter control garments from them that I like for a little smoothing or to wear under clothing that is a bit sheer. 

• Useful 1
On 6/16/2021 at 6:37 PM, Cosmocrush said:

Same!  I'm about a decade younger than Ramona but she inspired me to stop using the pandemic as an excuse and pull out some never-used hand weights from the garage.  I know some people that are in better shape after the last 15 months but I went the other direction.  

Finally, something useful from Ramona, hehehe. 

Can I brag on my 66 year old mom for a second!! 🥰🥰🥰

4B5CDAEB-3DAC-49A3-9FFB-1D6D52A8C2BE.jpeg

• Love 18
10 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

No new episode this week? I know everyone hates the Leah show these days, but I'm devastated!

Yes - why no episode this week (Tues, 6/22/21) ?! Surprised. 

Is it possible that the show getting is getting such bad ratings that they are re-tooling , re-editing right in the middle of the new season ?

• Useful 5
  • Love 1