Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

16 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

Minnesota.  Around the Twin Cities area.  I think you guys had more areas at risk if I've heard right.  But still, I've NEVER heard of such requests in the winter. 

The good news is by Sat and Sun we will be hitting above freezing temps!  I'm expecting everyone to go out in shorts and t-shirts.  Also, will see if the battery in my car still works.  Knock on wood.   

Same it's supposed to reach 52 degrees on Monday, so everyone will be running around without a jacket talking about how warm it is. 

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, BkWurm1 said:

Minnesota.  Around the Twin Cities area.  I think you guys had more areas at risk if I've heard right.  But still, I've NEVER heard of such requests in the winter. 

The good news is by Sat and Sun we will be hitting above freezing temps!  I'm expecting everyone to go out in shorts and t-shirts.  Also, will see if the battery in my car still works.  Knock on wood.   

There was a fire at a local plant here in MI that required the company sending out an email to all customers asking to turn the heat down a little and reduce usage so that there were enough for hospitals, etc. Lower usage request is supposed to end at midnight tonight... the below zero temps are also supposed to end around then, thank goodness. I don't mind cold, but this is more than I can handle even!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Chaser said:

Too new.

For what I've gathered, it's performing well by CW standards.

Yeah, so far it seems to be doing fine.  All American is probably dead, though - it was the only new fall show to not get renewed.  

Is this the coldest as far as you guys can remember?

Definitely most prolonged period of heat for us. In previous years we'd get one or two scatty days of 104 degrees and a few days 89s followed by a cool change. This year it was relentless weeks of constant temps over 86.

In Chicago we've had Polar Vortex's before with -20 to -30. We've never reached -52.  Some offices closed and they stopped mail delivery and had to set the rails on fire so they could get the trains running. 

• Love 2

Speaking of trains we have one of the most unprofessional rail networks in this region.

If it's too rainy, or hot, or too much thunder or their staff have chucked too many sickies, our train body Cityrail will just peace out and run to whatever schedule they like!

And the public just accepts it because we have such low standards for Cityrail. 

In Japan they issue an apology if they are 5 secs late!

• Love 1

It helps that in Japan everyone always follows the rules. They don't even cross the street without the light saying they could. That took some getting used to when I went there. We had to wait for the light when there were no cars. But they are very efficient. I've never seen trains run as smoothly. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

Same it's supposed to reach 52 degrees on Monday, so everyone will be running around without a jacket talking about how warm it is. 

Wow, 52?  I'm envious.  I was pretty excited about 36 degrees, lol.  

1 hour ago, Mellowyellow said:

Definitely most prolonged period of heat for us. In previous years we'd get one or two scatty days of 104 degrees and a few days 89s followed by a cool change. This year it was relentless weeks of constant temps over 86.

Back in 1994 I think it was, there was another polar vortex and we haven't beat those records in the coldest spots (-60 vs only -56 actual temp) but I think it's the coldest here in the more urban area.  And honestly, I doubt minus 56 feels any better than minus 60.  I'm happy to live well south of those lows.  

2 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

It's Global Weirding, the more accurate term for what we call Global Warming.  Weather going crazy all over the place, both hot and cold and more weather events. It's insanely cold here now, and overwhelmingly hotter in the summer.

In my local hardware store, it was 50 F / 10C.  Inside. Staff huddled around the space heater when not helping customers.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Speaking of trains we have one of the most unprofessional rail networks in this region.

If it's too rainy, or hot, or too much thunder or their staff have chucked too many sickies, our train body Cityrail will just peace out and run to whatever schedule they like!

And the public just accepts it because we have such low standards for Cityrail. 

In Japan they issue an apology if they are 5 secs late!

Another thing with trains in Japan is everyone get in neat little rows on the right side, when the train arrives they wait until everyone gets of the train before boarding. There's no pushing or yelling. If an older person or pregnant woman or a woman with a baby gets on the people give up their seat without being asked. It also helps that you can't talk on your phone when on the train. 

I speak very little Japanese and definitely can't read it, my family and I had no issues using the train, we took it all over the place. Each train is assigned a color and you just follow the matching colored lines on the floor that will take you all the way to your train.

• Love 4

I just finished A Simple Favour. I really enjoyed it and thought it was both exciting and hilarious. Both girls did a great job! 

Blake Lively is stunning! 

Anyone celebrating Lunar New Year?

We always have noodles on the first day for long life! 

• Love 1

Pretty proud of this project!

Lil Sis got caught up in the Megan Markle aquamarine fever so I bought her the stone for her birthday and then bought the setting as an early Valentine's Day present yesterday.

The aqua is completely untreated (she doesn't like treated stones) so it was a pretty good find!

20190202_162148.jpg

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Mellowyellow said:

Pretty proud of this project!

Lil Sis got caught up in the Megan Markle aquamarine fever so I bought her the stone for her birthday and then bought the setting as an early Valentine's Day present yesterday.

The aqua is completely untreated (she doesn't like treated stones) so it was a pretty good find!

20190202_162148.jpg

Ooow!  Sparkly!  Does she know about it yet?  Are you going to be able to give it up, lol?  

48 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

Ooow!  Sparkly!  Does she know about it yet?  Are you going to be able to give it up, lol?  

I gave it to her already (we went to a pre LNY buffet)! That's her hand in the pic! Notice the less fat fingers 😂

It's Lunar New Year on Tuesday (our Tues, your Mon so Arrow night!) and it is good luck to have nice new things to wear so she's going to be showing it off for the entire new year.

Haha yes I did struggle with giving it up especially since I don't have an aqua myself and I haven't been able to find anything nicely cut in this size after I bought hers. But you know, the joy of giving and all that 😝. She is soooooooo happy so that helps!

Plus most of her collection has been based on me giving her my rings after I upgrade so there is something satisfying about her having a nice new ring that has not been worn by me! 

After the initial madness I don't think I need an aqua. It comes very close in colour to my aqua blue zircon and I am not even a blue girl so it's a good spot to save energy and money! 

Edited by Mellowyellow
  • Love 1
On 1/31/2019 at 6:29 PM, Mellowyellow said:

You guys made the Aussie news with your frozen snap!

And you guys made the news here (I'm in New England) with your crazy hot weather. Heh.

That ring is so lovely.  You are a very nice sister!

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Mellowyellow said:

Is he the guy with 2 baby mamas at the same time?

With Giselle?

He dumped Bridget Moynahan for Giselle and Bridget was pregnant.  They both say she found out about the pregnancy after the breakup but I think he would have dumped her even if he'd known.  He had a chance to be with a world famous model and his ego would never turn that down.   Giselle didn't have their first kid for a few more years so it wasn't as bad as it could have been. 

3 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

He dumped Bridget Moynahan for Giselle and Bridget was pregnant.  They both say she found out about the pregnancy after the breakup but I think he would have dumped her even if he'd known.  He had a chance to be with a world famous model and his ego would never turn that down.   Giselle didn't have their first kid for a few more years so it wasn't as bad as it could have been. 

Haha thanks for shedding light on that. I always thought he had 2 baby mamas at the same time 😂 

This is less scandalous than I believed (still scandalous but 2 baby mamas is super awful).

Noooooooo that's when Four Continents is on and I won't be able to check the figure skating forum 😣😣😣

Anyone follow figure skating after the Olympics? I'm sooooooo obsessed! It's a bit nailbiting to follow but I'm so hooked! Way more stressful than Arrow!!!!!!

3 hours ago, tv echo said:

Did you all notice the new PTV reaction options? Not just 'Like' but now also 'Sad', 'Surprise', 'Laugh' and 'Useful'!

It's great because now, if I come across a post about a sad topic, I don't have to feel weird liking it....I can just use the sad reaction! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Soooo proud of myself! I fried THIS many bananas tonight in an attempt to preserve the glut of home grown bananas I have. My family and friends are officially scared of bananas! The weather is warm so they have been ripening like crazy!

These fritters will be frozen and then reheated in the air fryer! The come out as crispy as nuggets and you would never know they were frozen! 

20190210_233941.jpg

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

It goes yellow on my home page and when I go into the forum the thread with a new post is a bold blue

I miss seeing the time and posters name of who made the last post in a topic. It was easier to know then when new replies are made.

• Love 1

Loooooove the expressions button soooooo much!!!! Hope whoever is responsible for the forum knows this.

So often someone answers a question for me and it might not be a positive answer or it might be explaining something negative so it would just be plain weird to "Like" it! The useful and crying buttons are perfect to acknowledge you've seen their answers!!!!!!

• Love 1

Wheeeee it's a good day today!

My other couple on the other show had this fight a few week ago and I was worried about a break up! Quite a few people were worried about a break up because of certain characters introduced.

But YAY!!!!! They were fine last week, had a really saucy scene at the beginning of this week's ep and a tooth rotting fluffy scene at the end! It's been a fantastic TV week! I am cautiously hoping the writers will not blow things up or decided to swerve half way.

• Love 1
On 2/14/2019 at 3:14 AM, Mellowyellow said:

Congrats on your new Bub @Angel12d!!!!!!

🍼🤗💖😙

Haha you can marathon old seasons of Arrow during feeds and settling 😛

Haha, thank you! ☺️

I’m so tired I could only just about make it through one Arrow episode the other day, I think marathoning old seasons is a thing of the past! 😂

• Love 6

I don't think there are any super well known manufacturers of cots but your question made me think of camping and that made me instantly think of Coleman who make pretty much everything outdoor related from canoes to tents to coolers to camping stoves and, it turns out, cots. 

Now me, when I went camping I skipped the cot and just brought the air mattress.  😄 

2 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

I don't think there are any super well known manufacturers of cots but your question made me think of camping and that made me instantly think of Coleman who make pretty much everything outdoor related from canoes to tents to coolers to camping stoves and, it turns out, cots. 

Now me, when I went camping I skipped the cot and just brought the air mattress.  😄 

Actually I wonder if we are talking about different things

Cot in Australia is a baby bed.

product_lifestyle_images_3000_x_2100_b-c

Hahahahaaahah!  I got that one wrong.  😄

We'd call it a crib.  

Off hand Graco comes to mind but not for exclusively expensive stuff, just well known.  For expensive name brand, maybe zero in on a store like Pottery Barn Kids or some other furniture store.  Maybe a Baby store.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Useful 1