Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, bijoux said:

I didn’t know Jamie Dornan is in the new Robin Hood. Is he the Sheriff of Nottingham?

@Mellowyellow, you got ten thousand meat pies to freeze? 😱 Are these micro pies, do you have multiple freezers, how do you even transport so many pies back home? 

I've got no pies because the shop is closed 😭😭😭

I should stop crying since I went to explore a new bakery today and now have a custard tart, fruit tart and 🍎🍏turnover in my fridge.

But yes I've got a full freezer the size of a large fridge. 

On another note I hit my dream weight after doing 5:2 for almost a year. I'm missing out on one fast day this week due to being away and have no scales at the hotel. Wondering how much I'll gain from all the holiday eating 😋🥐🍗🥓🥘🍝🍔🍰

• Love 1

Omg 🍏🍎turnover delish!!! Sooooo yum. Up there with profiteroles. I think I've got a new bakery love 😍

Anyone here with kids who used to suffer on holidays when kids were young? My friend's husband cried when they went to Hawaii and the baby would not stop crying at night (She was wedged between crying husband and baby texting us about the trauma of it all).

I remember hubs and I used to take turns to deal with the squalling when the baby was a baby. Now he's out having a tennis lesson with his dad and going for mocktails with me later (so dad can nap).  Mummy's kicking back stuffing her face with baked goods. I'd have 5 more kids if I didn't need to deal with babies. 

If anyone is interested in donating I thought I'd share this gofundme page that someone on social media created for a young Syrian refugee who is been bullied horribly at his school:

https://www.gofundme.com/jamal-from-huddersfield-bullied-at-school

I think people just want to do something nice for him.

(I'm not sure what the rules are on posting charity pages on the board so mods feel free to delete if it's against the rules).

• Love 5

I got some absolutely stunning sweaters and button ups for practically free.   But talked myself out of new boots that I wanted but couldn't really justify spending the money on. 

Was going to do more but it's a bit of a crunch finance wise atm. 

• Love 1

@Delphi comfy footwear is always a good investment!

I bought 2 gems for my sister and a new silk dress and a play suit at 40% off. Playsuits are all the rage this summer over here. 

Do you guys have these bean boozled trick jelly beans? There are 2 that look the same of each flavour. One is a normal flavour like say  butter popcorn and one is gross like stinky fish. I had a vomit flavoured jelly bean becuase little sis wanted to play bean boozled and it was exactly the way you would imagine a vomit flavoured sweet.

The things you do for younger siblings.......

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

I bought 2 gems for my sister and a new silk dress and a play suit at 40% off. Playsuits are all the rage this summer over here. 

I'm not sure what you are referring to by playsuits. And Google gave me waaay to many options. Example?

2 minutes ago, Delphi said:

And Netflix cancelled Daredevil.   The punches keep coming.   The third season was actually very good. 

Can you give me a run down as to why they did it? I keep seeing people be sad about it but I have no idea why it was cancelled as I don't watch or follow it myself.

5 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Can you give me a run down as to why they did it? I keep seeing people be sad about it but I have no idea why it was cancelled as I don't watch or follow it myself.

Disney, who owns Marvel who produced Daredevil, is starting their own streaming service with their own original content including their own Marvel shows. Netflix doesn't want to host its competition.

Edited by way2interested
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, way2interested said:

Disney, who owns Marvel who produced Daredevil, is starting their own streaming service with their own original content including their own Marvel shows. Netflix doesn't want to host its competition.

I posted this in the DareDevil forum

Not sure if that Disney is behind the cancelations is more fandom special than Production Reality

• Love 1

I don't think Disney cancelled it actually, I just think Netflix pulled the plug as an offensive attack on Disney, and Disney is not going to do anything about it, since they've got Kevin Feige and the movie people doing their new Marvel shows and probably don't want to rely on Netflix anyway. It's different from say AoS or the Runaways where those are on Disney owned (or partially owned for Hulu's case) platforms, JJ and Punisher were already into production before Netflix was making the decision to pull the plug, so they got to finish their seasons before likely being cancelled afterwards.

Edited by way2interested
  • Love 2

I can see the logic behind it,  but the logic still feels kind of short sighted.   I watch the mcu shows and I watch queer eye.   I'm not exactly scrambling to watch other Netflix originals.   I'm not going to pay money for the Disney plus streaming service.   If anything I'm more likely to just cancel Netflix as it's not offering anything I'm interested in.   And watch what I want to watch through YouTube or some other sight.   At the end day,  I pay for streaming services for the easy part of streaming,  it's easier than dvds.  But if I have to toggle between streaming services then I don't find it really convenient anymore. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Delphi said:

I can see the logic behind it,  but the logic still feels kind of short sighted.   I watch the mcu shows and I watch queer eye.   I'm not exactly scrambling to watch other Netflix originals.   I'm not going to pay money for the Disney plus streaming service.   If anything I'm more likely to just cancel Netflix as it's not offering anything I'm interested in.   And watch what I want to watch through YouTube or some other sight.   At the end day,  I pay for streaming services for the easy part of streaming,  it's easier than dvds.  But if I have to toggle between streaming services then I don't find it really convenient anymore. 

At this point, I'm thinking I'm going to start waiting for a few shows I'm interested in watching to drop, pay for a month and binge them, then unsubscribe until something else is released. I've been planning to do that when the full season of Titans is available on DC. Nothing announced for Disney has me super excited at this point, but I'll probably do the same with that if I hear good things about any of the shows, doing it for Netflix too would make sense. Definitely not just going to pile up a bunch of streaming services on top of each other, but as long as no commitment, month to month payments are the standard I'll rotate them to whichever has more unseen content i want to check out at the time.

• Love 1

Sooo bizarre but I finished a reader with my kindy kid this evening and basically they sent him home with a reader about a 13 yr old boy with a learning disability whose teacher mocked him! The story ended well (boy was a hero) but they had chapters about kids smoking behind sheds! WTF! He's in Kindy.

I checked and the book was published in 1991 (when I was a kid) so obviously they didn't cater to kids sensibilities back then but you'd think someone would check these readers.

Debating whether to bring it up with his teacher........ 

He's had a few readers that seemed a bit out there for Kindy (skateboard gang chasing a kid) but this one takes the cake!

On the bright side my ring arrived (lavender jadeite) and I love it! Hehe lets hope other things pan out for tomorrow on Arrow!!!!!

I am on a ban until April 2019. I really am this time. Hubs has promised to yell at me and reign me in. I will not buy anymore jewellery! Even my jeweller is laughing at me as this is the third time I have declared I will go into hiding! I am going to last until April 2019 if only to prove to myself that I can do it! 

20181203_152738-jpg.662657

• Love 3

Kindergartners reading about early teens seems odd but I wouldn't have blinked if he was 8 and was reading about a 13 year old.  But yeah, ,you kind of expect to keep things more precious when they are in the 5-6 range.  I guess if one looks at what shows and movies are targeted to that age it isn't as surprising.  

Context though does matter.  If the readers were endorsing bad behavior, that would be different than if they were bringing it up to teach lessons on it.  it's not like even kindergartners can avoid kids being mean to each other or running into unfairness at times from adults.  And maybe you aren't going to get too many 5 year olds lighting up, but there are other analogous things they might be tempted to do that the lesson in the story might teach them not to do.  Kids are probably exposed even accidentally to way more than we really think about.  Even just the news.  

You are great about talking things through with your kid.  That's probably your best defense no matter what materials he's exposed to, sharing your good judgement and viewpoint, rather than keeping it all away.  (since keeping it all away is impossible)  Suffice to say, you've got this no matter what you do.  :D

As for your ring, lovely, a perfect compliment to the green jade ring. And I promise to shame you over any new purchases before spring, lol.  

• Love 3

I would bring it up with his teacher (could that be why the teachers hid from me?) not because of the smoking but because the maturity age gap between a 6 year old and a 13 year old is too great.  6 year olds should be pretending to be pirates or explorers or zombies, not dealing with the real-life issues of a teenager. Let them have their innocence as long as they can.  (Also I found teenage angst books boring before I encountered the issues in real life.) You vet the books he reads at home, the teacher should doing the same for the ones he gets from school.   He should be reading a junior version of Anne of Green Gables, not The Outsiders.

The ring is gorgeous.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 1

Thanks Guys!  For the ring compliments and advice! Spoke to his teacher and she was apologetic! Said she had a meeting last week and arranged the books quickly for the substitute teacher to give him so didn't check this book. 

She's going to make sure he gets the more harmless ones from the stash. They have boxes with levels and they just grab them for the kids according to what box they are up to. 

The smoking in the book was done by teen boys behind a shed! Quite funny because Kidlet was like "Should I be reading this mummy? Does this mean we can skip readers today?"

I'll be glad to work with my own books instead these holidays. 

@BkWurm1 I shall message you whenever I feel weak and want to buy more jewellery!  You need to yell at and berate me!!!!! It's going to be hard!!!

If I meet my April target I'm hoping to aim for 3 items only in 2019. That would be a wonderful achievement! 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

The smoking in the book was done by teen boys behind a shed! Quite funny because Kidlet was like "Should I be reading this mummy? Does this mean we can skip readers today?

I love how much your kid is not only way above his age level in reading, he's even farther in terms of moral development. Some adults never get that high.

• Love 1

Weird question but how flexible are you guys?

I just had a turn on Hub's stretcher and I cannot make it to 90 degrees. I thought I was more flexible than that but it hurt like hell!

The kid can sit on that contraption and be stretched to 180 degrees comfortably. Ok I know he's a baby and they are flexible but I am bummed I can't go 90 degrees.

Is it old age or am I not bendy?

What's a stretcher? I'm pretty bendy, but things do change with age. I was shocked and disgruntled to find out I could no longer do a back bend when I started taking yoga. It was so easy when I was a kid and during my teens. Just lie on your back and next second you're up. But now it's like no way. I try and get stuck on the crown of my head. To clarify, I'm 35 now, not decrepit.

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, bijoux said:

What's a stretcher? I'm pretty bendy, but things do change with age. I was shocked and disgruntled to find out I could no longer do a back bend when I started taking yoga. It was so easy when I was a kid and during my teens. Just lie on your back and next second you're up. But now it's like no way. I try and get stuck on the crown of my head. To clarify, I'm 35 now, not decrepit.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTvr88r5G_jttdyEMHOsTI

I am 37 so not super old but yeah, can't do 90 degrees.

I start and quit yoga classes all the time, and as soon as I quit, I lose a lot of my bendiness. I'm 42 and feel decrepit so there's that. But I can still do a toe touch standing up and also touch the floor so that makes me happy. I did a cartwheel about two years ago and that was a mistake. 

• Love 2

SQUEEEEEE massive mummy brag!

Just got a letter in the mail informing me to turn up for next week's end of year academic assembly because the kid is receiving an academic award.

I am sooooo relieved!!!!!

Kidlet was told by his year 5 and 6 friends all about the end of year assembly and he said to me "I hope I get an award at the big assembly mummy. Every week I go to the little assembly and hope for an award but the big one will be the most important."

I've been down playing it with the kid and stressing about it to Hubs who infuriatingly told me "You can't control everything in his life. He'll learn more from not getting one than getting one."

Anyways I'm so relieved!!!! The thought of him sitting around at big assembly, hoping for an award hurt my mummy heart.

Texted all my friends who are so excited and declaring they're heading out to buy him gifts (he's one of the first kids to start big school in my group of tiger parent besties). 

WHEEEEEEEEEE SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

• Love 3
On 12/5/2018 at 9:23 AM, bijoux said:

12 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Awwww thats so awesome @Mellowyellow :) 

I am still somewhat bendy, and do Pilates and Yoga when I can, but I was definitely more bendy when I was a teenager, and I am 29, so I dont think quite at decrepit quite yet! It might just be a matter of being out of practice though. 

I'm thirty and during my recent attempts to get back in shape by doing insane workouts realized,  holy fuck I don't move the same way I did at twenty.   I went to do a toe touch,  which is like a sit up,  but different and my body was just like, "No, you don't do that anymore. "

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Delphi said:

No, you don't do that anymore. "

Since I was a preteen I did this trick involving kind of turning my thumb around backwards.  (I had a friend that was double jointed and I stretched the hell out of a tendon until I could do it, lol) I pulled it out to amuse and gross out kids for decades.  Haven't had cause to bust it out for at least a year and tried recently.  Not only won't it twist all the way back the way it used to but now it's been two weeks and my thumb joint still aches, lol. Welcome to my forties.  

• Love 2

So my happiness was short lived. Looks like the 9yr old pup has busted a cruciate ligament. She was running after a ball and then suddenly couldn't put weight on the back leg.

Waiting for her normal vet on Monday. 

Approximately $3000 - 5000 aud to operate according to my friends who have had the op on their dogs and that's assuming the second side isn't going to bust too.

Damn fur and human kids. If it's not one it's the other. I don't even know why I have them. The stress they bring.

5 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

Aww!  I'm so sorry to hear it.  

Do they always have to operate on ligaments? Is there any chance that time might do some healing?  

I dunno hun. She's 9. I lost the other one last year.....

Ive been reading and surgery is the best option for big dogs. I'll take her to a few vets and see. She's got a good few years left in her so might be better to just get the op and restore her even if she busts the other leg. We can fix that too.

• Love 1

Yes they do. We discussed it when the furballs were little and opted to set up separate savings for them instead. 

The other one was never sick up until he was struck down with incurable cancer. He barely needed any of his money in the end and with the effort of claiming insurance, savings worked better for him. 

This one is going to use up most of her savings.

I'll probably give insurance a try with the next baby. 

2 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Yes they do. We discussed it when the furballs were little and opted to set up separate savings for them instead. 

The other one was never sick up until he was struck down with incurable cancer. He barely needed any of his money in the end and with the effort of claiming insurance, savings worked better for him. 

This one is going to use up most of her savings.

I'll probably give insurance a try with the next baby. 

That was really smart. A health savings account for pooches.  

Hopefully you can keep the pup comfortable in the meantime.  They do get around remarkably well on three legs.  I just had my 6  year old cat in for a back leg injury as well.  (Of course the x ray showed nothing even though she's hopped for weeks now.)

• Love 1
58 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

We discussed it when the furballs were little and opted to set up separate savings for them instead. 

I wish I'd thought of this. I was lucky with my first cat who lived to 18 with only a spaying and some shots. One of my cats was just diagnosed with hyperthyroidism so I'm treating that now and it is not cheap and I never got insurance. 

Hope your girl is feeling better and chasing balls again soon!

• Love 2

@Mellowyellow, I'm so sorry about your baby. My cat broke her leg badly this summer. The surgery was about that much but even harder was trying to keep her from using the leg for 8 weeks. The vet said to keep her confined to a smallish cage but I didn't have the heart. She seems okay now but we never did take her back for the final set of X-rays because of the cost (and because another developed a severe anemia that took his life.)

If it's a ligament, surgery might be best so that she doesn't keep re-injuring it.  (I speak from personal experience.)

• Love 2

Update on pup! Vet did the drawer test and thinks it's just a sprain so I am to monitor her and see how she goes. She's starting to put weight on the leg again but she's a nutter. When she gets excited she leaps and gallops about so we've been ninja-ing around her quietly and looking like real weirdos when we do it so as to not excite her.

OMG the relief! The thought of surgery and physical therapy made me want to crawl into a hole and never come out. I'd get it done but it was all so daunting especially after last year.

Human kidlet got a medal for academic excellence, another medal for being an all rounder, some books and was asked to do a speech about his first year of kindy for parents of 2019 incoming kindy.

I am sooooo proud! Little person who used to throw epic tantrums (once when he was about 2, he rolled up and down the driveway at play group screaming at the top of his lungs) is now giving speeches to a hall of strangers like it's nothing! 

kekeke he was asked to remove a dig he made about the school toilets in his speech to which he apparently replied "But Mrs N a little controversy makes the speech interesting"

Mrs N told him they are fixing the toilets next year and it was best not to worry the new parents so he grudgingly removed that part.

haha his first lesson in censorship! 

• Love 5