Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

Aww, she's so cute. I haven't tried to dress up my dog since my first Halloween with her. I thought she looked adorable, but she was so mad at me for dressing her up. She would barely look at me when I tried to take pictures of her. So I'm super jealous of other people whose pets happily wear costumes.

IMG_5113.jpg

• Love 8
  • Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Mellowyellow Your sister is very talented.  There are stores here that sell carved pumpkins for people who don't want to do their ow, would she like to earn some extra money?

I spent almost two hours today going from store to store trying to find a pumpkin to put on the proch this evening but couldn't find one. I finally gave up and bought two squashes.  Then I read that some people in the US were pushing to move Halloween to the last Saturday in October instead of October 31st. Seriously? Isn't being tired and over-sugared at school the next day part of Halloween?

Edited by statsgirl
On 10/30/2018 at 3:54 PM, Mellowyellow said:

Anyone watch The Good Place?

Hubs and I are OBSESSED! We are limiting ourselves to 2 eps a day but it's very very very hard not to watch more.

Are the later seasons still as good? I adore the cast! 

Looooooove The Good Place - it makes everything better.  I've heard amazing things about the podcast (review for it here https://slate.com/culture/2018/09/the-good-place-podcast-review-season-3-behind-the-scenes.html) and it's made me want to start the series over again.  We went to Universal Studios and got to walk around the S1 outdoor set (all the frozen yogurt places!) - it was my favorite part of the tour.

• Love 4

@Kymmi we are about to start S2 tonight! We watched 3 eps of S2! It is forkin awesome!!!!!!!

Spoiler

Almost fell out off our couch after the S1 reveal. It made so much sense and at the very beginning I suspected Michael but then he was so bumbling and endearing, I lost focus and brushed off my suspicions! I feel like I need to go back and watch the entire S1 with a different mindset! 

@statsgirl she spent so much time on it I can see why some people wouldn't want to carve it for themselves! She says scooping the guts out is a huge hassle too. 

We did the last minute pumpkin hunt two years ago! We've learnt since and buy ours about 2 weeks before Halloween and keep it in the hallway which is generally fairly cool.

On the bright side you can make soup with the squash! 

Edited by Mellowyellow

I went to see Halloween last night. Not my pick, but the movie itself turned out okay for the most part. However, I saw it in a theatre full of teenages who drove me wild. When has it become customary to clap, boo and shout throughout the film? I won't even go into the screaming. 

It was very much a get off my lawn experience. 

• Love 3
On 10/31/2018 at 2:41 AM, Mellowyellow said:

My little girl would like to wish you all a HAPPY HALLOWEEN as the chick from the Kissing Booth (Don't judge me! It's hard to come up with costumes for a dog who doesn't like clothes!)

20181031_181232-jpg.656621

And a random pumpkin pic that was carved by my sister. We Aussies are getting into Halloween!

ABCQXEEJLTzKPX3Q7XG4ENcR6jIE07KIJ4dwlMaN

She's nine?  She looks like a puppy!  And lol, it is clearly recognizable as a playhouse, not a toilet.  Hahahaaha

17 hours ago, bijoux said:

I went to see Halloween last night. Not my pick, but the movie itself turned out okay for the most part. However, I saw it in a theatre full of teenages who drove me wild. When has it become customary to clap, boo and shout throughout the film? I won't even go into the screaming. 

It was very much a get off my lawn experience. 

Yikes!  I haven't experienced that yet.  Maybe it's a scary movie thing?

giphy.gif

In my defense, I was on the phone and the shape of the lowered window shutter reminded me of a toilet seat. For the record, if it was one, I'd think it was a great idea. 

As for the movie, apparently I'm not tthe only one annoyed because people are leaving comments on the theatre's Facebook page. Vindication. 

• Love 2

Haha I was kinda horrified that everyone thought it was a toilet and that I am bogan with a toilet in my yard! 

In other news after more than a year of fluffing around and getting distracted I FINALLY bought my jade ring! My work is done! Hubs actually likes it and has made no references to Thanos!

This is also a bit of a victory for me because when I first decided I wanted a jade cabochon ring, Hubs and I went shopping together. I didn't know anything about jade and we were quoted a certain price for a stone similar to this one. The stone was actually  not as translucent or fine grained (desirable in jade).

I smelled something shady, went off, did a lot of research, talked to a bunch of people, looked through heaps and heaps of jade to try and price it. I ended up paying 1/3 of what I was quoted (by the shop in Australia) for this ring! 

20181102_092303-jpg.656962

I am done for the year! Until next year! 

• Love 4
On 11/1/2018 at 1:43 AM, bijoux said:

Well, different strokes for different folks, because I LOVE when a crowd gets super into a move. I love when everyone is so into the story that they laugh at the funny parts and gasp at the shocking parts, and cheer at the big heroic parts. Usually it doesn't happen in dramatic, serious films, but horror movies are prime for screams and cheering, it makes it a fun, communal kind of experience for me. I feel like that happen in a lot of action/horror style movies I see, is that not a normal way to watch a movie in the theater? But like I said, different strokes!

• Love 2

I don't know, there was a lot of loud, sarcastic, communal clapping when the characters did something the sophisticated group of 13-year-olds deemed stupid. That's another one that bugged. It just all seemed forced. Like, natural gasps and stuff I can deal with, but this was a performance of its own, and not one I enjoyed. Overall, a gaggle of rude kids who kept photographing the screen with their phones, left a crap ton of mess and at least one of them kicked a not completely empty bag of chip over the balcony with his foot after the credits rolled. 

• Love 2
On 11/2/2018 at 3:50 AM, Mellowyellow said:

Haha I was kinda horrified that everyone thought it was a toilet and that I am bogan with a toilet in my yard! 

In other news after more than a year of fluffing around and getting distracted I FINALLY bought my jade ring! My work is done! Hubs actually likes it and has made no references to Thanos!

This is also a bit of a victory for me because when I first decided I wanted a jade cabochon ring, Hubs and I went shopping together. I didn't know anything about jade and we were quoted a certain price for a stone similar to this one. The stone was actually  not as translucent or fine grained (desirable in jade).

I smelled something shady, went off, did a lot of research, talked to a bunch of people, looked through heaps and heaps of jade to try and price it. I ended up paying 1/3 of what I was quoted (by the shop in Australia) for this ring! 

20181102_092303-jpg.656962

I am done for the year! Until next year! 

Oww!  I really like it!

• Love 1

Thanks @BkWurm1! I need to be on the straight and narrow until next year! And then if I am ambitious 3 months into next year! *fingers crossed*

Started S3 of The Good Place. Why oh why must it be set in Australia? The accents are KILLING me! WE DO NOT SOUND LIKE THAT!!!!!!

Spoiler

That said, nothing, no TV moment, probably not even Olicity, will beat Michael telling Shawn "Ya Basic"

Hubs and I cheered and almost died laughing. 

Edited by Mellowyellow
  • Love 3

I did some viewing over the weekend. First up, A Very English Scandal. It's completely bonkers and excellent, I highly recommend it. The conspiracy is the craziest, sloppiest ever, it nicely showcases how politicians have been full of themselves since forever, and it humanizes all the characters. While I found Jeremy amusing, I also thought he was a manipulative asshole for most of the three episodes. Those thing are still true, but a revelation of his past at the very end sheds a new light on him and is actually pretty heartbreaking. 

Then, Big Hero 6. Very good, but my God, what is it with these cartoons being so brutal? 

Spoiler

Hiro is not only an orphan, but loses his brother in the first 30 minutes? ?

Finally, Black Lightning pilot. At moments it was almost like it got too real for a superhero show. Jeff and Lynn have smoking chemistry and he has to be the most patient man ever to still be sitting on status quo for NINE YEARS. I feel sorry for him with his girls. I mean, good for both of them for sticking up for themselves (even if the younger one was up for a wake up call), but I can feel his grey hairs popping up like crazy. Is his mask actually supposed to offer some concealment? It certainly didn't look that way to me. I guess no hand wringing over killings for this show, huh? 

• Love 3

This gem was too good not to share.

We were all talking about the celebrations throughout the year and how much work they are for Mummy. Christmas, New Year, Lunar New Year, Easter.

This exchange came up about Easter.

Hubs: Some people believe that Jesus died for our sins and a few days later he rose from the dead.

Kidlet *Jaw drops, eyes widen, starts looking worried*: If Jesus rose from the dead he must be a bad guy because that means he's a zombie.

He's allowed 10 mins of plants vs zombies a day and they play zombies at school during lunch. He's very concerned about zombies.

• Love 2

Just got back from watching Bohemian Rhapsody and I highly recommend it. It’s not perfect, but it’s incredibly captivating and actually made me want to hit replay as it ended. As it is, my friend and I stuck around until songs were playing during the credits. We thought we’d get up after the first one finished, but then noticed other groups still sitting in their seats, so we parked our buts down.

• Love 2

I'm watching the PBS Anne of Green Gables TV movies and like it very much!

It embellishes on the book a a bit but I find the tone agreeable so I'm really enjoying it. I also really like the actress who plays Anne. She's not Megan Follows but she's quite good! 

My only complaint is that the Gilbert child actor's acting is less than desirable so the OTP moments are a bit rough!

If it's the one I think it is, I also would like to put in a formal protest that they radically altered the character of Matthew.  (Is it the one where Martin Sheen plays him? ) Also, it seemed to like skipping some of the "good" moments and focus more on the stuff that was only alluded to in the books.  And yes, Gilbert looked like a runt, cute enough I suppose but not well matched to Anne, lol.  I kept telling myself he'd have a growth spurt soon (Even though he's supposed to be at least a year older than Anne)

6 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

If it's the one I think it is, I also would like to put in a formal protest that they radically altered the character of Matthew.  (Is it the one where Martin Sheen plays him? ) Also, it seemed to like skipping some of the "good" moments and focus more on the stuff that was only alluded to in the books.  And yes, Gilbert looked like a runt, cute enough I suppose but not well matched to Anne, lol.  I kept telling myself he'd have a growth spurt soon (Even though he's supposed to be at least a year older than Anne)

OMG yes now that you've pointed it out I thought Matthew was a bit...outgoing and assertive! I couldn't put my finger on it before you said what you said! Yes Martin Sheen version.

I still enjoyed it though because I liked Anne in it. 

• Love 1

Yeah, their Anne was cute.  My issues were more about the stuff they rewrote, stuff that didn't IMO strengthen the story.  There are two episodes or movies with the same cast.  I think it was the second one that I found even more problematic in regards to Matthew but I still watched them since I am an AoGG fan from a young age.  It's probably like the pizza metaphor.  Even the not great stuff is still gobbled up.  

47 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

CW Midseason Schedule

Interesting to note that the Roswell reboot is getting the post-Flash spot.  

CW desperate to have a new successful show?

Legacies tanked didn't it? 

Also the pad was a bust! Dude who sold it lied to me and it has a big ugly splotch! Lots of drama returning the stone but I got my money back!!!!

Edited by Mellowyellow
  • Love 1
Just now, Mellowyellow said:

Legacies tanked didn't it? 

Eh.......not really.  It’s no smash hit, but as TV Grim Reaper pointed out this morning, almost everything on the CW this season is hovering around some degree of 0.3.  You’ve got Flash and Riverdale on the high end and Dynasty and CEG on the low end, and everything else is pulling 0.3s. You have to go out a decimal or two to differentiate. 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

Eh.......not really.  It’s no smash hit, but as TV Grim Reaper pointed out this morning, almost everything on the CW this season is hovering around some degree of 0.3.  You’ve got Flash and Riverdale on the high end and Dynasty and CEG on the low end, and everything else is pulling 0.3s. You have to go out a decimal or two to differentiate. 

Oh that's not bad! I thought it was getting like a 0.1 for some reason! I miss getting all the ratings almost every day like we did last year!

I am addicted to The Resident which was doing better this year than even last year (it did fine last year) so I'm quite fascinated as to why CW numbers seem to drop each week.

• Love 1

This is so true, and it's so hard for me to work during the winter months. When it's dark outside at 5 pm, I feel like I should be at home instead of sticking around for another hour or two at work.

• Love 1

I remember this time in college, when the time had just changed. I sat down at a desk in the library to work on a paper due the next day, totally not panicking because it was around around 3 pm, and I had all night to work on it. I was so focused on the paper, I didnt look outside, and all of the sudden, I managed to look up, and saw that it was dark outside! I forgot about the time change, and totally panicked, thinking the whole night had passed, and I was running out of time to finish! I figured it out pretty quickly, but that was an intense look out the window!

Thats either a lesson about remembering time changes, or procrastination. Maybe both.

• Love 4

Oh you poor things. I'm on the good side of daylight savings now! Can walk the pup at almost any time. I really dread it when April approaches and we switch. It does go from being lit at 3pm to like pitch black at 5.30pm.

The only annoying thing about Daylight savings is we have to let the kid stay up late to see the Christmas lights one night cuz it doesn't get dark until 8.30pm by then. 

If you're a parent apparently switching back from Daylight Savings is hell because you do not that extra hour of sleep back. 

We're trying to reduce our electrical consumption by making a few changes and measuring the electricity meter. 

Hubs went out and measured the water meter last night thinking it was the electricity meter. Then he came in and claimed he couldn't understand the reading. The water meter has a tap attached to it!!!!!

That boy worries me sometimes.

• Love 4

Taron Egerton's Robin Hood movie is coming out in theatres this week - and here's a review that mentions Arrow (warning: article contains detailed movie spoilers!)...

‘Robin Hood’ Review: Robin Gets Another Shot and Misses Again
BY VINNIE MANCUSO      NOVEMBER 20, 2018
http://collider.com/robin-hood-review-taron-egerton/

... With the help of John, who stowed away on the boat back to England, Robin adopts the mantle of The Hood—yes, the same name used for years on The CW’s Arrow—a vigilante who plays the part of suave aristocrat by day and takes coin out of the corrupt church’s pockets by night.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

So, you ever feel like an old fuddy duddy when watching something? For me it's All American. I wasn't vowed by it, but the episodes usually drop when I have some down time so it's basically convenient. Here comes the old geezer part. There are so many lingering shots of half-clad (sometimes less) teenage characters. It's not the fact that they wear trunks and bikinis to a beach or a pool, duh, it's more how they're shot. I don't remember slow upwards (or downwards) full body shots being the norm in the stone age when I was the target demographic. And it feels weird watching that while being literally twice the characters' age. (Although I'm pretty sure the harmless dumb jock is older than me, he's just been unable to finish high school for 20 years.)

Come on, Taye Diggs, take your shirt off and help a woman out here. 

• Love 2

This is a very first world poor me whinge but here it is. 

I'm on vacation with the family and this year we moved the holiday one month later to get warmer weather. 

Well turns out that my favourite profiterole and pie shop also went on vacation so they're closed. I'm so so so upset. We go every year and it's tradition for me to eat two profiteroles every night before bed and buy 10000 meat pies to freeze before we drive home. I'm so upset 😭😭😭😭😭

Hubs actually asked me if I was going to cry when I saw the sign on the shop.

I'm currently profiterole-less and it's not the same 😭😭😭

• Love 2

I actually saw the new Robin Hood movie on Friday. It was better than I expected, but I think my expectations were very low to begin with, based on the poor media reviews. On the plus side, I did not think of Arrow at all and the movie kept my attention the whole time. There were some cool fight scenes. On the minus side, I was reminded of some other movies at various points while watching this movie, in terms of plot, dialogue, stunts, and visuals. Taron Egerton was good, but I kept thinking of him as Josh Hutcherson's older, tougher brother. Jamie Foxx acted like he was phoning in his performance. I had never seen Eve Hewson in a movie before but she made for a beautiful Marian, although the movie didn't do a good job of explaining her character's motivations.  Jamie Dornan was so-so (I've only ever found him appealing as Sheriff Graham in OUaT). I guess I would still give this movie a tepid thumbs up for entertainment value.

Edited by tv echo
21 minutes ago, bijoux said:

I didn’t know Jamie Dornan is in the new Robin Hood. Is he the Sheriff of Nottingham? 

I can't say without revealing spoilers. If you really want to know:

Spoiler

Jamie Dornan plays Will Scarlet, but not the Will Scarlet of legend. This Will is a leader of the common people who has political ambitions. He's also Marian's new boyfriend (Robin and Marian met and were lovers at the beginning of the movie, then Robin was drafted and reported dead while away fighting the Moors, so she apparently moved on to Will). You think that Will's a really good guy at first, but you slowly find out that he's just interested in getting ahead and joining the elite. Although he does eventually fight with Robin against the corrupt Sheriff of Nottingham (played by Ben Mendelsohn), he spies the inevitable reunion kiss between Marian and the returned-from-the-dead Robin and gets angry. At the end of the movie, Robin, Marian and the rebelling commoners have retreated to Sherwood Forest. The corrupt church leader offers the newly-vacated position of Sheriff of Nottingham (the old Sheriff was killed by Jamie Foxx's John) to Will, who accepts.

The movie was clearly set up to spawn sequels (Jamie Dornan's Sheriff of Nottingham versus Robin Hood), but I don't think it's doing well enough at the box office to warrant any.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1