Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

Congrats on both the puppy and the kid!  It sounds like you're doing a really good job.

Were you a very proud mama at the ceremony?

8 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

haha his first lesson in censorship! 

Diplomacy.  ;-)

• Love 1
  • Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Congrats on both the puppy and the kid!  It sounds like you're doing a really good job.

Were you a very proud mama at the ceremony?

Diplomacy.  ;-)

Yes so very very very proud. We were both giddy and waved at him like idiots in the audience!!!!! Haha it's like our entire life and achievements all boil down to these moments. 

I kept fretting to hubs about whether people were going to think we were tiger parents.

Response: We are 200% tiger. Own it and hold your head high. 

That said what I'm most proud of is how sweet he is. He's been helping a friend read in class (they do this thing where the kids who read easily pair up with a child who struggles). He said she's been struggling all year but she hit level 5 a week ago. His sheer joy when he was telling me about how they got Z to go up a level, how happy he was because Z didn't get upset during reading anymore, is probably the best thing I've ever seen. 

I really love this school. The kids live in a bubble but it's such a nice bubble. 

We went through so much drama to choose a school (we put in a sky high bid on a run down house in another suburb to get into a more cut throat school and lost which was lucky because Sydney property prices fell after that). I'm glad we settled on the one close to home. 

• Love 2

My sister is pg again. She was telling my, just turned 4 this week, niece she was coming to the doctor with her. My niece asked why and she told her she was going to have a baby and wanted to know if she wanted a boy or a girl. My niece looked at her and said, “If you mean Belle or the Beast I want Belle!”

• Love 6

I started watching Supergirl when it premiered on CBS. When they crossed over with the Flash I binge-watched to catch up on that show. When Legends of Tomorrow crossed over, I binged LOT and added it to the "must watch" list. I've only ever watched Arrow when it was a crossover episode, but I loved Stephen Amell's joy of filming the crossover this year (even if I didn't love the crossover itself). I decided to start watching Arrow from the beginning so I had a better idea of what was going on, but also - I feel like I should watch the OG that was the start of the Arrowverse! Really happy to see some episode threads for S1, and hoping to be caught up by the season finale! (or next season's premiere...)

• Love 10

@tennisgurl I noticed you watched FoTB

I think the only person who unlearns a lesson faster than Oliver is Jessica!

They regress Oliver every season. They do it every EPISODE with Jessica these days! 

*sigh*

To think there was a time when that show could do no wrong in my eyes.

Edited by Mellowyellow
  • Love 1

@Mellowyellow Yeah, its even worse with Jessica than Oliver! At least Oliver had had some development that sticks (no matter what the crossover writers tell us!), but with Jessica, she has to learn the same damn lesson, episode after episode! Every week, she learns not to be an asshole, and then she goes back to her ways by the start of the next week, rinse and repeat. Its so frustrating, as I used to love Jessica, and now she is my least favorite part of the show. Constance can only do so much. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 1

Yeah Jessica is really bugging me these days when she was my favourite previously. It cracks me up that @Mellowyellow mentioned a few times that she had a lot in common with early Jessica.

I'm really worried that I've suddenly developed a severe case of trypophobia in the last few days after seeing LOTs new Big Bad and having a visceral reaction. I previously had no idea what it even was and now I see it *everywhere* since then. Gah, skin crawling. I hope I don't have to watch the rest of the season with my laptop turned away like a kid hiding behind the sofa. And that I will be able to walk past a tree in the park near me again soon. What is wrong with me?

• Love 1

@Featherhat the earlier jokes used to really hit home and I loved her so much and identified with her.

Stuff like:

*Face of neutral dissatisfaction

*Why do I want to see money wilt - in response to being given flowers

*Jessica hurls onion at boy who dined and dashed, knocking him over and then says - Emery go get that onion I'm going to cook dinner with it tonight.

*B-? That's a Chinese F!

Then they just went and made her behave like an asshole which they seem to equate with humour. I think the earlier stuff was funny because it was outrageous but there was a certain realism to it, especially for someone who is an asian tiger parent like me. Now she just does CRAZY things which NO ONE would do in real life, no matter how pushy you are! 

Sorry for the rant!

You're not alone in your reaction. One of my friends (and myself to some extent) gets super creeped out at certain pictures and images. It's just not very pleasant. I know not to look after I've accidentally seen something once and try not to focus on it. Just la di da and move on.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, shantown said:

I started watching Supergirl when it premiered on CBS. When they crossed over with the Flash I binge-watched to catch up on that show. When Legends of Tomorrow crossed over, I binged LOT and added it to the "must watch" list. I've only ever watched Arrow when it was a crossover episode, but I loved Stephen Amell's joy of filming the crossover this year (even if I didn't love the crossover itself). I decided to start watching Arrow from the beginning so I had a better idea of what was going on, but also - I feel like I should watch the OG that was the start of the Arrowverse! Really happy to see some episode threads for S1, and hoping to be caught up by the season finale! (or next season's premiere...)

Look forward to reading your thoughts and comments.  You have an interesting ride in front of you.  :D  From what I've heard, the real hair pulling out moments are softened a lot by binging rather than being allowed to dwell week to week.  Oh and start of season one is a bit more brutal than what comes later.

• Love 1

I need to be yelled at. I'm using Google translate to bargain with Chinese jade vendors who don't speak English. 

I'm out of control!!!!

Interestingly Google translate does a decent job!

I have picked up 5 pairs of earrings, one of which is a totally kitschy pair of jade fish! I have failed my no buy policy 😭

But they're so pretty.......

And I need to start collecting 2019 presents for Lil Sis.......

mmexport1545047710336.jpg

mmexport1544945295747.jpg

32 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Haha what did you buy?

I know I know!!! I am so bad!

Should I try to go on a no buy until May 2019 or be realistic and go on a "low buy"?

Lets try this in stages.  Go on a no buy until 2019 (unless it's a gift for the immediate future) and see if you can hack that first.  Baby steps.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, BkWurm1 said:

Lets try this in stages.  Go on a no buy until 2019 (unless it's a gift for the immediate future) and see if you can hack that first.  Baby steps.  

End of Jan 2019?

Cuz it's only 13 days until 2019 and I need to cook all next week so unlikely to be texting vendors during the day. Plus they will be on holidays! 

It's so hard because all my vendors keep sending me Christmas cards with discounts and I start thinking "Oooh always wanted a ruby necklace to go with such and such. Should nab a discount!"

I will stop. I can do this. 

43 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

End of Jan 2019?

Cuz it's only 13 days until 2019 and I need to cook all next week so unlikely to be texting vendors during the day. Plus they will be on holidays! 

It's so hard because all my vendors keep sending me Christmas cards with discounts and I start thinking "Oooh always wanted a ruby necklace to go with such and such. Should nab a discount!"

I will stop. I can do this. 

I really did just mean until 2019.  And if you think 13 days should be a breeze, then good.   Starting the new year strong is the perfect way to go.  I'll be checking in.  :D

• Love 2
2 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

I really did just mean until 2019.  And if you think 13 days should be a breeze, then good.   Starting the new year strong is the perfect way to go.  I'll be checking in.  :D

Haha your expectations of me are awfully low😂

You're like Hubs. He doesn't even bother to badger or yell which makes me think, that he thinks, I'm a lost cause. 

He yells about updating fanfic so I reckon he's got no faith in me going on a no buy. 

I shall make it to end of Jan. It can be my sacrifice towards good juju for 

Spoiler

The Olicitot

• Love 1

I get the urge to buy when they offer discounts.   

I do a lot of shopping on Novica.  And they keep sending me emails and letters with discounts and I'm just like "... Well so and so could use a new necklace. "

On a brighter note Hubs has been innundated with department store gift cards from his work so new clothes here I come when the Boxing Day sales hit!

I have a very long list of jewellery goals that I tell myself I will hit slowly over time. 

Gems do keep rising in prices though!!!! I bought an almost 3 carat chrysoberyl last year for $300 and now you either can't find one or an ugly one, half the size is going for the same amount. Makes me panic 😅

20 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Haha your expectations of me are awfully low😂

You're like Hubs. He doesn't even bother to badger or yell which makes me think, that he thinks, I'm a lost cause. 

He yells about updating fanfic so I reckon he's got no faith in me going on a no buy. 

I shall make it to end of Jan. It can be my sacrifice towards good juju for 

Hide contents

The Olicitot

If you fail, it's your fault

Spoiler

if we don't get Maya. 

Hahaaahahahhaahahaha

• Love 1

I thought Stephen and the Arrow cast had a tendency to get all up in their feelings on social media, but the Riverdale cast are way worst. One YouTuber tweeted about whether people who watch Riverdale know that Riverdale sucks and the whole cast basically acted like he had personally victimised them. Now I just read that Lilli Reinhardt has quit twitter over it. Chill out. 

Penny Marshall died.  :(  I was never a huge Laverne and Shirley fan (though I watched soooooo many episodes in reruns) but I appreciated a lot of the films she directed. 

Just now, Mary0360 said:

I thought Stephen and the Arrow cast had a tendency to get all up in their feelings on social media, but the Riverdale cast are way worst. One YouTuber tweeted about whether people who watch Riverdale know that Riverdale sucks and the whole cast basically acted like he had personally victimised them. Now I just read that Lilli Reinhardt has quit twitter over it. Chill out. 

The back and forth got a lot ickier and more personal than the one comment.  But yes, people in the biz, DON'T READ THE COMMENTS.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

The back and forth got a lot ickier and more personal than the one comment.  But yes, people in the biz, DON'T READ THE COMMENTS.

I didn't follow it entirely but of what I saw he didn't tag anyone in his initial tweet. KJ Apa found it (or was following him) and replied calling him a dickhead and then the rest of the cast got involved. It just seems like one of those tweets they should have just dismissed as a "whatever! One mans opinion" type tweets and moved on with their lives. 

I didn't end up watching most of the final season (at first I fell behind and then it seemed clear it was getting cancelled so I didn't have the heart to catch up) but I watched the movie.  I'm sure there were some not happy since a fan fav didn't get the ending I know some were hoping for, but I think they were pretty good about wrapping things up and giving their main characters their happily ever after or at least honor their journey.  Which I greatly appreciate but spoiler, Moira remained dead.  (Not that there was any discussion of saving her but even in another show, I still kind of hopped ST's manipulative mom character might live.  

In general, I made sure to watch just because I really like this new trend of not letting a show just vanish without some kind of a wrap up.  People should value that.  It wasn't long ago when getting that kind of wrap up would be a pipe dream but now it seems like good business.  

• Love 4

Since it's so quiet I'm going to flood this thread with my latest purchases which have arrived. Hehe transaction was super sketchy and involved me sending money into the ether to a Chinese account by direct transfer. But they do run a legit business and I got my goods at like 1/3 of retail price!  Woot!!!!

They are all A grade jade, no treatments. 

Aren't my kitschy fishies adorable?

20181222_093016.thumb.jpg.d88473acfdb7014437d8665a63b11342.jpg

Present for my sister next year. I don't know how I will wait until her birthday but I must in case I don't find good presents throughout the year. I have a habit of giving her presents right away and then scrambling on her actual birthday. 

20181222_153759.thumb.jpg.e677cdc10782df3a09a4d37e92c86d43.jpg

• Love 2
On 12/20/2018 at 10:25 PM, Starfish35 said:

So was the Timeless finale worth the wait?

It provided a nice closure for fans, IMO. Quite a bit of fan service but since this wouldn’t have existed without the fans, it made perfect sense and it was done quite well.

Spoiler

And the show gave Lucy and Wyatt the twins I was hoping for Felicity and Oliver 😜

• Love 3
On 12/20/2018 at 10:25 PM, Starfish35 said:

So was the Timeless finale worth the wait?

That's a hard NO from me.  I wish they had ended the show as it was, then everyone could write the ending that they wanted.

It reminded me of why I stopped watching the show in the first season -- the characters were two dimensional, the relationships out of a teen magazine and Rittenhouse itself never made any real sense in its plans. Kill off this person, and another will only take his or her place. Nobody can hold back the tide forever.

To me, Wyatt was Barry Allen, the simply guy who coasted through life following orders and not questioning them, and Flynn was Oliver, a complex, tortured guy who got kicked by circumstance through no fault of his own and fought to regain his sanity. It's not that I hated Wyatt, I just found him boring. The more the show pushed Wyatt and Wyatt/Lucy, the less interested I was. I only got back in season 2 with Jessica and Flynn more on board and relationships shifting and needing to find new group, although Wyatt mooning over Lucy after he chose Jessica, and being unfeeling towards Lucy felt like a badly written fanfic, proof she deserved better.

I wanted more Denise, who only got one episode. And more Connor.  I like Rufus ending with Jiya, my nerd couple.

Spoiler

Many viewers didn't like the Lucy/Wyatt ship and when the regular show ended, there seemed to be as many Lucy/Flynn as Lucy/Wyatt shippers.  In the movie Flynn got shut down pretty fast, even saying to Lucy that even when they were together in the alternate timeline he knew her heart was always with someone else. (Bad fanfic dialogue.)  And then he dies in the first hour. As someone posted on TVLine, if you have to kill both of the alternate ships in order to justify your couple together, you need to write better.  Jessica being teh evul instead of a woman with split loyalties who had a good redemption arc potential is just another example of the writing taking the obvious, easy way instead of trying for something better.

And I really hate characters that I like dying stupid Big Hero Deaths for plot.  Lucy and Wyatt naming one of their twins after Flynn was spitting in my eye.

I'll miss what the show could have been but I won't miss what it was in that movie.

But hey, I've found an EP I trust less than Guggenheim. That's something.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 2

I couldn’t understand Wyatt and Lucy. I didn’t see the chemistry or understand the interest on her side. I found the idea of Flynn and Lucy much more interesting. Part of that was the actors for me. The actor who played Wyatt was rather bland.

I love the concept of Timeless, I just wished they had tightened things up a bit.

2 hours ago, Soulfire said:

Merry Christmas to those who celebrate!

tumblr_p18ae0PtPl1uk10sdo1_500.gif

Merry Christmas!

• Love 7

I watched "The Cuckoo's Calling" (3 hours) segment of the C.B. Strike tv drama series on DVD this week. This is a British mystery series based on the books by Robert Galbraith (pseudonym used by J.K. Rowling). I thought it was quite good, so thumbs up! It's very, very different from her Harry Potter books. The story is centered around a British ex-military guy named Cormoran Strike, who now works as a London private investigator. He's got both physical (lost a leg in the war) and psychological issues. He's a tough, rough around the edges kind of guy. The other main character is Robin Ellacott, a blonde woman with a positive attitude who comes to work for him as his office assistant. There's hints of something dark in her past as well. She's very interested in doing detective work and this creates problems with her fiance Matt (yes, she's engaged). So a very interesting, complicated relationship is set up between Strike and Robin, as they work together to solve crimes.

Season 1 of C.B. Strike is based on the first three books about these characters. The author has also published a fourth book in the series, which I assume will eventually be part of Season 2.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

I'm looking for decorating tips. I bought a new mint green rug and the walls need to be decorated badly. The rug is pretty similar to this. 

We're talking about a bedroom with a working corner here, so nothing too bright. I was thinking blush, like this. 

But I am open and welcoming to other suggestions. 

upcycling-hochflor-teppich-kuschelig-modern-shagg_2.jpg

3ab0fed7937e316a0d508dfb4a557bae--hipster-room-decor-hipster-living-rooms.jpg

29838370341237b9d236d11dd64e1780.jpg

Bright green seems like a young person’s game. 😁

This is such a light color that I’d paint everything but the ceiling that. Well, two walls that face each other basically. Because one is completely covered by a wardrobe, and opposite that is a bookshelf and a window and door leading to the balcony. So nothing is really visible there. I don’t even know if I want the hassle of emptying out the wardrobe and dragging it away from the wall. Even though it might not be a bad idea. 

How would you do a feature wall?

ETA: 25-28. I can’t figure out how this test works, but certainly felt older than that taking it, because I paused when I got to the fruit. But, but, I want all of them. I decided to go for peaches since they’re completely out of season. Also, I thought my last answer, coffee, would definitely push me towards older.

Edited by bijoux

@bijoux I am faaar from someone you should talk to about decorating but this time we have decided to pick a wall that people see the most and paint it a bright colour we like. Kidlet picked green for his room, I picked green for the bedroom and Hubs got his lavender feature wall in the dining room when we did the kitchen.

I am not sure if that's how you're supposed to do it but life is short and getting a wall in whatever colour you like is fun!

@BkWurm1 it is past midnight here and I DID NOT BUY ANYTHING!!!!!!!!! I made it! 

Only 31 more days to go until I make it to the end of January.

The girls on the other forum have been so supportive and talking me out of stuff ever since I told them I cannot buy jewellery as a sacrifice because I am praying to the gods for a fictional baby.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

@bijoux we are going mint green walls with a bright green wall for our son. 

Pink and green are lovely together though so I think blush is perfect. Are you having a feature wall or you're going to paint it all blush?

http://quizly.co/order-expensive-meal-guess-your-age/?utm_source=PlayAgain&utm_medium=Quiz

I got 51 to 54 years old 😂

I got 36-39.   And congrats on making it to the new year without spending.

On 12/30/2018 at 4:26 PM, bijoux said:

I'm looking for decorating tips. I bought a new mint green rug and the walls need to be decorated badly. The rug is pretty similar to this. 

We're talking about a bedroom with a working corner here, so nothing too bright. I was thinking blush, like this. 

But I am open and welcoming to other suggestions. 

upcycling-hochflor-teppich-kuschelig-modern-shagg_2.jpg

3ab0fed7937e316a0d508dfb4a557bae--hipster-room-decor-hipster-living-rooms.jpg

29838370341237b9d236d11dd64e1780.jpg

The blush is lovely.  Very soothing and bright.

• Love 1

@bijoux, do you like warm colours or cool colours? If you like warm colours, the blush is lovely. If you like cool colours, you could find a paint chip with the same colour as the rug and paint the walls a couple of shades lighter.  (I get bored easily with my decor so I go with simple on what gets painted and change it up with things like pillows, throws and artwork.)

I did the quiz and got 36 to 39 years old. Thank you for that present @Mellowyellow (On the other hand, the  Upgrade Your Food quiz thinks that I have brown eyes. (al)so wrong.)

Happy New Year everyone! I'm so glad to know you all.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, statsgirl said:

@bijoux, do you like warm colours or cool colours? 

It honestly depends, I don't have a strict policy. I am looking for something bright and soothing. @BkWurm1hit the nail on the head there.

Happy new year, everyone. 

Edited by bijoux
  • Love 3

OMG Guys I just saw a pair of greenish jade dolphins on live stream from my jade vendor.

If I was not praying for a fictional baby I would be contacting them and getting myself a pair of jade dolphin earrings.

THIS IS SO HARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Love 1

Haha Thanks @bijoux

On that note I will shut down Live Stream, WeChat and go to bed!

I have made it to day 4! I can do this! I will do this for my fictional baby.

Today it's dolphins, tomorrow it will be something else. There is always something. I mean they could have crabs next month and I LOVE crabs! I would LOVE crab earrings. This too shall pass!