Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

18 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

So did anyone watch Whiskey Cavalier last night?  I’m planning to watch it on Hulu if I can stay awake this evening.  It looks like it might be a lot of fun.

I watched and will keep watching.  It's light and fun action and I actually liked the side characters who I thought were well introduced.  They are doing the thing where the guy is more sappy and romantic than the female protagonist but it doesn't feel forced so far though nothing is terribly original, but that's not really an issue for me.  They film in Europe so a lot of great backdrops and yet they STILL managed to film in a warehouse, lol.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1
  • Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ended up watching it today and loved the side characters who are super likeable and funny.

It's also pretty goofy imo but I like goofy.

Will keep watching too.

Right now my top two shows I don't bitch about are Madam Secretary and The Resident. 

Fresh Off the Boat has ruined Jessica. 😢😭😤

• Love 3

I'm looking forward to watching WC.  Of course it has a bunch of actors from Cougar Town in it,  so I'm probably going to go into the whole thing with rose colored glasses.   But Bill Lawrence seldom disappoints me. 

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Never heard of the show, looked up the summary and a short review and it sounds like a Rom Com posing as an action/drama...I'll pass

When I first I heard about it I thought I'd check it out then I saw the trailers and it looks to sappy for me. I don't mind romance in my action shows I just don't want it be mostly romance. 

• Love 1

I was more looking at it as a potential Castle replacement than an action drama so much.  Didn’t get a chance to watch it last night though, so it’ll probably be this weekend now before I can watch.  😕  The good reviews are encouraging though - something to look forward to.

3 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

When I first I heard about it I thought I'd check it out then I saw the trailers and it looks to sappy for me. I don't mind romance in my action shows I just don't want it be mostly romance. 

I didn't get the impression it was going to be mostly romance.  I would say Castle is probably where they are aiming eventually (I mean the good years) but for now it's a lot of banter and caper kind of stuff.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1
15 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

I didn't get the impression it was going to be mostly romance.  I would say Castle is probably where they are aiming eventually (I mean the good years) but for now it's a lot of banter and caper kind of stuff.  

Which still sounds like a rom-com in an action setting. It'll still probably be a pass for me. I would recommend the Umbrella Academy. The Passage is also pretty good.

I didn't like Castle or Bones, both (IMO) were just romance/rom com shows using action as a setting.  They were both built around the will they/won't they relationship of the two leads.

1 hour ago, Sakura12 said:

I would recommend the Umbrella Academy. The Passage is also pretty good.

The Passage is good, i hope it gets renewed.  Umbrella Academy is on My Watch List as well, i've heard good things, plus it's got Tom Hopper

• Love 1

I'm looking forward to WC but I love the romcom-action.

I'm excited for the return of Good Girls on Sunday.

I'm liking The Passage. I thought UA was mostly good. It's trippy and entertaining. My only real complaint was Vanya.   I know I should sympathize with her, but I just wanted to get back to the other characters cause she's so mopey. Oh and then there's the 

Spoiler

pseudo incest with Luther and Allison which reminded me of other couples for reasons.

Edited by Chaser
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

Which still sounds like a rom-com in an action setting. It'll still probably be a pass for me. I would recommend the Umbrella Academy. The Passage is also pretty good.

8 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I didn't like Castle or Bones, both (IMO) were just romance/rom com shows using action as a setting.  They were both built around the will they/won't they relationship of the two leads.

The Passage is good, i hope it gets renewed.  Umbrella Academy is on My Watch List as well, i've heard good things, plus it's got Tom Hopper

Yeah, I have zero issues with rom/com action/mystery.  Pretty much describes my ideal show if I like the leads and the side characters.  I don't really see romance though being the main thing in the shows since it is usually only a simmering thing rather than the focus of each episode like one would find in a drama or soap.

Some shows handled the tease better than others but I care far more about any show if they toss in romance right into the DNA. My favorite mystery shows have always had the main couple anointed from the start but then I'm pretty comfortable with a slow burn.  (Loved  Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries, talk about a slow burn) I enjoy getting payoff but I also just enjoy the interaction in the meantime.  It also works with Bromances or friendships like on Sherlock (and Elementary)

The trick IMO is getting the casting and the writing to work from the get go cause when it's not working, oh boy is it painful.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1

I am loving The Passage, its creepy and intense but has a lot of heart, and even some funny scenes and some good one liners. It keeps the show from just being depressing. 

Whiskey Cavalier seems like it will be my new fun/fluffy action show with sexual tension, which I've been missing a lot. I know people are comparing it to Castle, and while I kind of see it, I dont think they have much in common beyond "man and woman who are different stop bad guys and deny their flirting", at least so far. Only one episode in so far!

I liked Sex Education on Netflix as well, it was really cute and funny, if a bit cliche. Russian Doll on Netflix was great too. Kind of an existential dramady. 

I always plug The Magicians, which is just starting its fourth season. Its so well written and creative, and its characters are so engaging, and its one of the few shows that gets better every season.

• Love 2

I really enjoyed Bones until it started putting romance ahead of the mystery and action and then I pretty much noped right out of it. 

Young Justice has been so good,  I didn't realize how much I had been missing it. 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Whiskey Cavalier seems like it will be my new fun/fluffy action show with sexual tension, which I've been missing a lot. I know people are comparing it to Castle, and while I kind of see it, I don't think they have much in common beyond "man and woman who are different stop bad guys and deny their flirting", at least so far. Only one episode in so far!

I'd agree with this.  The characters don't seem to be the same and the scenario they are in is very differently which I expect to make it feel like a very different show than Castle, but still would be a two hander between potential love interests.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1

Are Goldfish (the savoury biscuit things shaped like fish) a well know thing in America? Is it popular?

I have heard about them from Giada (who said she only gave her kid tiny portions because they are junk) and today Costco was handing out free samples! They tasted terrible! 

3 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Are Goldfish (the savoury biscuit things shaped like fish) a well know thing in America? Is it popular?

I have heard about them from Giada (who said she only gave her kid tiny portions because they are junk) and today Costco was handing out free samples! They tasted terrible! 

Yeah, they are very well known,  I haven't had them in years, but, i'm always tempted to buy them and see if i still like them as an adult.   

• Love 1

Gemma Chan's Oscar dress with pockets was stunning, but Michelle Yeoh's blew me away.

16 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

It was a plot point in back The West Wing Danny wanted to get CJ something when he was first courting her and asked around what he should get her. He was told that she liked Goldfish and bought her a real goldfish in a bowl.

17 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

I kind of think of Goldfish crackers as either something people give to toddlers to snack on or to toss in soups.  They have a lot of different flavors but I'm not a fan of flavored crackers myself.  

(edited)

😮 ...

Zachary Levi, Manu Bennett, Kevin Sorbo argue 'comic con' is generic in bid to weigh in on lawsuit
By McKenzie Romero, KSL | Posted - Mar 2nd, 2019 
https://www.ksl.com/article/46502308/zachary-levi-manu-bennett-kevin-sorbo-argue-comic-con-is-generic-in-bid-to-weigh-in-on-lawsuit

SALT LAKE CITY — Three past celebrity guests of Salt Lake's popular FanX convention are asking to file briefs in court supporting the organization's argument that the term "comic con" is generic and widely used.

The question is at the center of a yearslong legal battle between FanX and the iconic San Diego Comic-Con International over the Salt Lake event's original name, Salt Lake Comic Con.

In a motion filed Friday afternoon in the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals, actors Zachary Levi, Manu Bennett and Kevin Sorbo joined the heads of two other comic convention companies, as well as a convention consultant and talent manager, in a request to file an amicus brief in the case.

A sample of the "friend of the court" brief argues that if a district court ruling is allowed to stand affirming San Diego Comic-Con's trademark over the widely used term, dozens of other conventions would be forced to either pay financially untenable licensing costs or to cease operation, damaging the convention industry and the celebrities, businesses and guests. The brief also argues the cities and venues that host popular arts conventions would be harmed through lost income.

The group behind the brief also argue they have always understood "comic con" to be a generic term as they "have been producing, attending, and participating in comic conventions in various capacities for approximately a decade, and for some, multiple decades. Not one has ever chosen to attend or participate in a comic convention marketed as a 'comic con' because he or she understood any such convention to be affiliated in some way with San Diego Comic Convention."

A jury in San Diego in December 2017 found that the Salt Lake Comic Con name violated San Diego Comic-Con's trademark, but ordered that the company pay just $20,000 of the $12 million damages San Diego asked for. FanX is appealing the ruling and fighting a judge's order to pay its opponents' legal fees.

A filing in support of the amicus brief argues that because of their experiences either participating in popular arts conventions around the world or running their own, the group is deeply familiar with the industry and directly impacted by the court's decision.

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1

I am so sad about Luke Perry. His poor family, losing him so young.  Dylan/Brenda were my first ship, I loved Luke so much growing up I watched that awful Buffy movie for him.

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, JJ928 said:

I am so sad about Luke Perry. His poor family, losing him so young.  Dylan/Brenda were my first ship, I loved Luke so much growing up I watched that awful Buffy movie for him.

OMG!!! 😭

(edited)

I knew he'd had a stroke but he was so young (for a stroke) that I assumed he'd recover. Finding out he died was a huge shock.  I'd watched 90210 and even though I was never a huge Dylan fan (there was too much hype for me) I really came to enjoy and appreciate him on Riverdale.  I'm so bummed and sad for his friends, family, and co workers.  

Edited by BkWurm1

I saw a tweet from someone at EW that he was so big in the 90210 that he could easily have been a jerk from all the attention but he never was, he remained a nice guy. RIP, Luke Perry. I enjoyed you in Jeremiah but I think I liked you best as the actor on a cop show in the Major Crimes episode.

19 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Guys does anyone know when Whiskey Cavalier is supposed to air? I can't find ep 2 this week?

Did they only air the pilot?

Regular time-slot is Wednesday nights, i think. so available Thursdays AEST

• Useful 1

Anyone watch Peaky Blinders?  I follow Chad "Ocho Cinco" Johnson on Twitter and he's been binging it, he's constantly talking about it.  sounds like a good show and I like Cillian Murphy and Tom Hardy.  Should I add it to my ever growing Netflix list?

1 hour ago, Mellowyellow said:

Need help with some English that is stumping us!

A group of students was in 5 teams.

A group of students were in 5 teams.

?????

Were sounds right to me but I am not sure because it is ONE group of students.

"Was" is grammatically correct. In this sentence, the subject is "A group", so the verb "is" should be singular to match it. "Of students" is a prepositional phrase that modifies "A group". The trick I was taught on how to decide which verb to use is to mentally remove the prepositional phrase from the sentence. 

A flock (of birds) flies overhead.

Papers (on the floor) were scattered everywhere.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Oh dear lord.  

So just got around to watching this week's Riverdale.  Earlier this year I laughed about how Archie was doing a similar storyline to Oliver (in jail and even in a fight club) well, Riverdale just pulled another Arrow storyline.  One of our favorites, lol. 

So the Serpents are a teenage gang but at this point, they are mostly the good guys.    They just ALL got deputized by the sheriff.  Did I mention they are in high school still?

• LOL 4
12 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

Oh dear lord.  

So just got around to watching this week's Riverdale.  Earlier this year I laughed about how Archie was doing a similar storyline to Oliver (in jail and even in a fight club) well, Riverdale just pulled another Arrow storyline.  One of our favorites, lol. 

So the Serpents are a teenage gang but at this point, they are mostly the good guys.    They just ALL got deputized by the sheriff.  Did I mention they are in high school still?

Well Greg Berlanti helped Create both shows So. . ..

• Love 1

Those of you in the US I have been following your college admissions scam scandal with fascination.

Do you have to do a bunch of extra curricular activities to get into college in the US? What if you are too poor too do extra curricular activities? Or is that just for the high end colleges?

I have been reading about all the lies and scams in relation to the extra curricular activities and it seems like if you didn't do any extra activities you won't get into college.

Australia is really simple. You do an exam called the HSC (part of the marks are calculated from your school mark, the other part is what you get on exam day) and you get a mark out of one hundred. You then use that mark to apply for any course and any uni you like. The course will take the people with the highest marks applying for that course. Every year they release a guide of what is the guaranteed mark to get into the course (eg 99.50 is needed to guarantee entry into combined law at Sydney University)

There are courses like medicine where they interview you but you'll need a minimal mark to get in. Or veterinary science and dentistry where they make you take a series of IQ and personality tests.

So in a sense even if you are dirt poor but you study a lot, you have as good a shot as anyone to get into whatever course you want and shake off poverty.

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Do you have to do a bunch of extra curricular activities to get into college in the US? What if you are too poor too do extra curricular activities? Or is that just for the high end colleges?

Normally, yes. Colleges like a "well-rounded student," which includes a student with good grades, good testing scores, an essay question, recommendations, and extra curricular activities, depending on the college. However, ideally, there are extra options, like community college that have fewer requirements and extra tuition payment opportunities like types of scholarships one can get for testing well, getting good grades, being good at a curricular or club or service or sport, being an in-state student occasionally, or even being in a lower economic class but still doing well and working hard. I say ideally because there's still a bunch of holes in the process including the disastrous student loan debacles, but that's how in theory it's supposed to work.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

While not officially a mandatory requirement at most colleges (I believe), having extracurricular activities will greatly increase your chances of getting into college, especially top colleges. In general, the admissions office looks primarily at the student's GPA (grade point average) and test scores. However, extracurricular activities are also considered because they provide more information about a student's character, personality, and objectives. Also considered are things like student essays, letters of recommendation, awards, and community service. For example, if two students have similar GPAs/scores, but one student also has great extracurricular activities, while the other student does nothing outside of class (not even work), the first student will likely be chosen over the second student. However, the admissions office should also consider that a poor student may not be in a position to afford extracurricular activities. Whether they actually do, I don't know.

That said, exceptions might be for (1) when the applicant is a legacy student (like a parent or grandparent graduated from that college), although that is a controversial issue, and (2) when the college or university really, really wants an extraordinary athlete for one of their sports teams, which is another controversial issue.

Also, the rich can sometimes buy admission spots for their children, though not as blatantly and illegally as featured in the recent scandals. For example, wealthy parents can make a significant donation (like a building) to a college in order to get their child admitted into that college (although this might not be the admitted reason).

Bottom line: being better off financially increases your chances of getting into a good college. Even legally, you're better able to afford to send your children to quality high schools and spend money on pre-college preparation - not to mention those extracurricular activities.

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1

Ahh thanks guys! 

It is so interesting how different your system is to ours! You even have people who handle the admissions! From what I've seen on TV are your applications handled by each college separately? As in the colleges interview and see the students before they accept them?

We have the University Admissions Centre which handles admissions for all the universities in NSW. We enter the codes for the courses we want and the computer just matches up the marks so see who makes the cut. It's usually all based on one number and the uni never meets you until you rock up for orientation!

There are exceptions and roundabout ways you can apply for courses if you don't get the marks but I find it fascinating how detailed your system is compared to ours.