Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

Simu Liu has been cast as the newest Marvel superhero, "Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings."

@Mellowyellow will recognize him from playing Jung on Kim's Convenience.  His parents pushed him into a business career but when he got laid off as an accountant, he went into acting.  Such are dreams made of.

Awkwafina and Tony Leung are in it too.

• Useful 1
  • Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(edited)

FYI (sob) - spoiler warning, even though it's been months since this movie came out, so don't read article or watch video if you don't want to know...

See how the Avengers honor a fallen superhero in exclusive 'Endgame' deleted scene
Brian Truitt, USA TODAY Published 12:06 p.m. ET July 26, 2019
https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/movies/2019/07/26/endgame-avengers-salute-their-fallen-exclusive-deleted-scene/1827992001/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsKkUWZ6yjY

Edited by tv echo

She wouldn't be the first. Cumberbatch played Doctor Strange and Dormammu, Ali was Cottonmouth and will play Blade, and Alfre Woodard played a grieving mother in Civil War and the Queen of Harlem in Luke Cage so it's been done before in the MCU alone. To expand to Marvel generally you also have both Evans and Jordan playing Johnny Storm in shitty Fantastic Four movies before joining the MCU. Gemma played a supporting character in body makeup so they can bring her back without any trouble.

Is anyone here from California?

I recently joined a Viet cooking group and someone  posted this from their noodle pack. I've been told it's a Californian thing to add extra warnings to food packs and they do it all the time. Is that true?

I eat the same kind of noodles in Australia without the warning so feeling rather alarmed 😦

FB_IMG_1565751348887.thumb.jpg.58477ff79e72f8e459369e2067818c7d.jpg

3 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

I eat the same kind of noodles in Australia without the warning so feeling rather alarmed

No need to be alarmed. The warning is just an example of California being overly cautious. There's a state law that requires companies to put a warning on anything that contains even trace amounts of compounds that might be carcinogens. For example, any place serving coffee needs to display a warning that coffee might cause cancer just because coffee beans contain a chemical called acrylamide that gets produced whenever something is roasted, baked, or fried. There's more info about the law here: https://www.popsci.com/california-coffee-cancer-warning/

Edited by lemotomato
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2

I was leery of yet another remake of Little Women, but this new version actually looks good (release date: Dec. 25, 2019)...

In case you're wondering, it's got a great cast:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3281548/

Meg - Emma Watson
Jo - Saoirse Ronan
Amy - Florence Pugh
Beth - Eliza Scanlen
Laurie (Teddy) - Timothée Chalamet
Marmee - Laura Dern
Aunt March - Meryl Streep
John Brooke - James Norton
Prof. Bhaer - Louis Garrel
Mr. March - Bob Odenkirk

Edited by tv echo

I always found LMA super preachy. Especially in the Rose series which I tried to read and gave up on.

Am more of a LMM and Laura Ingalls Wilder fan. 

Funny I used to read all the LIW books and never questioned any of the stuff I read, especially all the decisions Pa made. Now that I'm reading them to my son I really raise my eyebrows at some of Pa's decisions! I guess I have become less of an adventurer in my old age! 

ETA: The professor Jo ended up with was so old and poor! Was like a double whammy for me 😂

Edited by Mellowyellow
  • Love 1

I notice that they cast an attractive, 36-year-old French actor, Louis Garrel, to play Prof. Bhaer (which is different from past movie versions of Little Women)...
MV5BNzY0MTcyMTIzMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTA5  

English actor James Norton (34 years old) seems to be about the right age for Mr. Brooke...
MV5BMjc2Mzg5MjgxNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODY4

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

FYI: Emma Watson is 29. Saoirse Ronan is 25. Florence Pugh and Timothée Chalamet are both 23. Eliza Scanlen is 20.

Of course, in the book, the characters are all much younger.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

FYI: In case you missed the admin notice at the top of the site page...

The site will be down for a (hopefully short) bit due to a scheduled site upgrade happening at 6am eastern time Monday morning.

Edited by tv echo
On 9/7/2019 at 3:28 AM, lemotomato said:

Are you trying to talk us out of visiting Australia? 😅

There was an article the other day about a woman who died because she wasn't given enough anti venom (was bitten while asleep in her bed....don't ask me how that is even possible).

Anyways good news is it's estimated only 2 people actually die a year due to snake bites! So you're all good to visit! 

• LOL 1

I'm a huge women's soccer fan and do my best to attend the World Cup (went in 2003, 2015 and 2019 - had a baby in 2004 which made it harder LOL) - I REALLY want the women's world cup in 2023 to be in Australia/New Zealand.  I loved all the Aussie fans I interacted with in France and would be such a great reason for me to stop putting off going!

• Useful 1

I'm ashamed to admit this but I haven't been to New Zealand even though it's close and very affordable.Too cold!

Same with Tasmania. Also too cold!

Planning a trip to the Singaporean Gem Fair next year. Booths and booths of gems. I don't think that as a gem lover I've lived until I go to a gem fair.

Too cold! Summer temps are like 72 degrees! That ain't beach weather!

Are the Northern States very cold? 

I start to dislike the weather at 68 degrees F and grumble incessantly at anything below.

I am South East Asian and designed for a minimum of 83 degrees I reckon!

California is warm right? One day I will go there for cheap jackfruit!

And cheap Coach bags if I decide to stop being a hippy (unlikely).

Edited by Mellowyellow
3 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

California is warm right?

It depends. Along the coast in the southern part of the state it starts to get hot in July, which will then last a few months. The rest of the time it's a pleasant 70 something. Going inland it gets hotter faster and longer. The northern part of the state is more woodsy so they get the traditional seasons rather than mostly spring/summer weather. San Francisco is it's own special brand as it rotates between being hot and cold depending on what the wind is doing so it's normal to be wearing shorts and carry a jacket/hoodie/something long-sleeved in the middle of summer.

I haven't been to the northern states in the winter more than a couple of times but it was definitely super cold. One of those times was in New York so we had the added bonus of wind coming off the water and making it feel worse. Just wear cute and comfy winter gear and make sure to walk around as much as possible and you'll be fine.

I'm from the Chicago and we got to -50 degrees last winter. Granted that's rare but we do get below 0 weather quite a bit in our winters along with snow. I'm Asian but I was born here so I've gotten used to the cold. Most of the time we do get to go through all 4 seasons, sometimes all in one day.  I remember one day it was like 60 degrees F in the morning then by the middle of day it was 80, then it dropped to 50 and at the end of the day it was snowing. We also can reach 70/80 degrees in winter and 40 degrees in the summer. 

So if you visit the Midwest or Northern states make sure to pack clothes for all types of weather because you never know what you are going to get. Lol.

• Love 2
On 9/13/2019 at 6:17 PM, Mellowyellow said:

There was an article the other day about a woman who died because she wasn't given enough anti venom (was bitten while asleep in her bed....don't ask me how that is even possible).

Anyways good news is it's estimated only 2 people actually die a year due to snake bites! So you're all good to visit! 

So what you're saying is we need two tributes and then we're good to go?

• LOL 2

Big Bang Theory is immensely popular, and I admit it was very funny at times. However, there were too many scenes where I've been appalled at its depiction of the female characters on the show - both in terms of how they're depicted and how they're treated by the other characters.  I have also found the romantic pairings cringe-inducing at times, esp. the Amy-Sheldon relationship.

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
33 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Does Sheldon grow up to be horrible?

I don't want to spoil the show for you (or anyone else), so I'm using spoiler tags (read at your own risk!)...

Spoiler

Yes! My biggest problem with BBT is that the main characters of Sheldon, Leonard, Howard and Raj are all just so unlikeable (imo). Sheldon gets a tad better in later seasons, but he's completely self-centered, egotistical and selfish - and the worst part is that everyone else coddles him, gives in to him and lets him get away with whatever he wants. His roommate Leonard is like a doormat to Sheldon. He's also selfish and whiny. Howard is pretty despicable in the early seasons but once he gets married, he gets better but still acts pretty selfishly. Raj seems to be there for comic relief and is also selfish. But really, I recall often yelling at the screen whenever Sheldon acts like a selfish jerk and yet everyone rushes to appease him.

I found the main romantic relationships not believable and also toxic. Sheldon treats his girlfriend Amy like crap; it's like emotional and verbal abuse. And she just takes it.

Penny's excessive drinking is like a running gag throughout the series. And I never bought into her romance with Leonard. I felt like he was always more interested in her good looks than anything else.

I could go on, but I won't.

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

I wouldn't watch BBT it would ruin your enjoyment of little Sheldon. I have trouble watching Young Sheldon sometimes because I know what an selfish a-hole he'll grow up to be. And seeing how Missy's life turns out. I love little Missy. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

The only one in the family that I do still like on the BBT is Sheldon's mother. It's also interesting that the actresses that play older and younger Mary Cooper are mother and daughter in real life.

Young Missy is great, but knowing how her adult life turns out I feel so bad for her. It's not horrible or anything, it's just on Young Sheldon they showed that while she's not as smart as her brother, she was intelligent.

Edited by Sakura12
7 hours ago, tv echo said:

there were too many scenes where I've been appalled at its depiction of the female characters on the show - both in terms of how they're depicted and how they're treated by the other characters.  I have also found the romantic pairings cringe-inducing at times, esp. the Amy-Sheldon relationship.

Coincidentally, the radio program Quirks and Quarks did a special on how science has done women wrong today and in the section on portrayal of women scientists, they referred to the women onTBBT from show status to how badly they're dressed.

I like the show, these are my people, nerdy, socially stunted, science and comic book jokes. But there are problems and that's why I take breaks from it.  Sheldon is a very good portrayal of a high-functioning autism spectrum person and can get very annoying.  I think he's my least favourite of the four.  I pretty much agree with what @tv echo said in the hidden part about the characters.  I also don't like the Amy-Sheldon relationship because Sheldon should not be in a romantic relationship, he's too lacking the ability to feel empathy. (I feel the same even more strongly about Shaun on The Good Doctor)

On the plus side, Mayim Bialik, who plays Amy, really does have a PhD in neuroscience.

• Useful 1

Okies I did myself a disservice and went to read the YS comparison to BBT thread.

Apparently the parents marriage ends pretty badly and is a far cry from the imperfect but still cute one I'm seeing on YS.

Really fascinated to see how they'll resolve this as YS seems like a fairly wholesome show.

I definitely grew tired of TBBT over the years and was downright shocked and delighted at how cute and good Young Sheldon turned out to be when it came out. I'm not up to date with season 2,I think I didn't get back to it after one hiatus or another, so it could be a dumpster fire at this point for all I know. I hope not. 

11 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Okies I did myself a disservice and went to read the YS comparison to BBT thread.

Apparently the parents marriage ends pretty badly and is a far cry from the imperfect but still cute one I'm seeing on YS.

Really fascinated to see how they'll resolve this as YS seems like a fairly wholesome show.

The parents marriage doesn't end badly.

George dies when Sheldon is 14.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

The parents marriage doesn't end badly.

Hide contents

George dies when Sheldon is 14.

But there's also the spectre of 

Spoiler

George cheating hanging over them

according to TBBT canon. Or has the show managed to swerve around that? 

Apparently 

Spoiler

The cheating is pretty concrete. They can swerve but BBT really messed up George's character from what I've read. There was also talk about George's girlfriend bribing Sheldon so the marriage really went down the gurgler.

Will be interesting to see how they handle it on YS since the family are all pretty lovable on there and I feel like it's a different vibe completely. Almost like an AU from the clips I've seen of BBT.

• Love 1

I finally succumbed to watching BBT because I binged on YS and I miss Sheldon.

BBT is pretty good. It's very funny. I'm about 2/3 through S1 and I don't find it too offensive. I feel like they really embrace the ridiculous so it doesn't bother me how exaggerated everything is.

I almost died of laughter the episode where Sheldon got a guy from his work to be his fake drug addict cousin and concocted this huge lie so they didn't have to watch Penny sing.

Overall I enjoy how reasonably feel good it is so far. Plus Sheldon is obviously challenged so in that sense I don't find him awful and the actor is awesome. I do think Leonard spoils and babies him way too much though.

Did he go straight from Mummy to Leonard? I do love how much Leonard seems to love him though.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Mellowyellow said:

Did he go straight from Mummy to Leonard? I do love how much Leonard seems to love him though.

Ha!  Pitch for a new spin off.  Sheldon, the college years!

Your season one impression pretty much matches mine.  Some stuff wears thin over the years but IMO other good things make up for the faults and OMG Howard is a 100 times better once he gets into a long term relationship.  But then my favorite parts of the show happen when all the girls become regulars.  

Edited by BkWurm1

The first few seasons of BBT have some great episodes. I think they started to run of ideas and started focusing on the worst qualities of the characters in the later seasons. It still had its moments though. 

• Love 1