Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was hard, mainly because some of these movies I wouldn't really call rom-coms, and some of the movies I really liked but voted against because I thought the love interest sucked (Always Be My Maybe, Crazy Rich Asians), and it hurt me to vote against The Holiday because while I know that movie is overall not great it has what I think is one of the most romantic scenes in it (and my other fave romantic scene is from Stranger Than Fiction, which wouldn't qualify in any way as a rom-com). 

4j26DHv.png

How's everyone faring?

They've tightened our social distancing laws but we're still allowed to go for walks in groups of 2 (from the same household) so it's ok.

Schools have moved to online learning. Food is available in the shops but I've been trying to be good so only popped in once last week for milk.

We did buy take away which is still legal. Part of it is to support our local restaurants who are doing it tough.

Many people on my jewellery forum are too scared to venture out of their actual houses so I'm curious as to what the rest of you guys are doing.

Aussies are still going for long walks although people do cross the road to avoid each other and stay very far away. 

• Love 4

Popping in here to ask, is there a separate forum for Season 8, or is there just not one anywhere? I swore I wasn't going to watch S8 LOL but I decided to let it play in the background while I do other things and I always love reading the episode comments afterward. It amuses me and passes the time.

1 hour ago, Taryn74 said:

Popping in here to ask, is there a separate forum for Season 8, or is there just not one anywhere? I swore I wasn't going to watch S8 LOL but I decided to let it play in the background while I do other things and I always love reading the episode comments afterward. It amuses me and passes the time.

S8 episode discussions are on here, you just have to go back some pages since tv echo has been doing some "greatest hits" moments per episode for the whole series.

6 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

How's everyone faring?

I and my immediate family have been good, it's all about talking down my 90 year old independent grandmother from going outside now 😅

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
40 minutes ago, way2interested said:

S8 episode discussions are on here, you just have to go back some pages since tv echo has been doing some "greatest hits" moments per episode for the whole series.

I and my immediate family have been good, it's all about talking down my 90 year old independent grandmother from going outside now 😅

Thank you!

And a virtual high five to your grammy. I love feisty old people LOL. They're the best.

8 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

How's everyone faring?

They've tightened our social distancing laws but we're still allowed to go for walks in groups of 2 (from the same household) so it's ok.

Schools have moved to online learning. Food is available in the shops but I've been trying to be good so only popped in once last week for milk.

We did buy take away which is still legal. Part of it is to support our local restaurants who are doing it tough.

Many people on my jewellery forum are too scared to venture out of their actual houses so I'm curious as to what the rest of you guys are doing.

Aussies are still going for long walks although people do cross the road to avoid each other and stay very far away. 

We're down to 5 people at a time unless you live together.

I keep forgetting to walk 2 metres/6 feet from people when I'm going for a walk. It's so weird.

I miss going to my local coffee shop with my friends but otherwise as long as I forget that I'm not making any money, I'm kind of enjoying being at home. I didn't realize all the pressure to do things until I couldn't do them.

• Love 3

We're on week three of online schooling. Yours truly has sort of been elected to be in charge of it for one of the schools she works for. Which translated into training colleagues, and that thing about doctors being the worst patients sort of translates to teachers being the worst students. Thankfully, the incessant phone calls and messages have died down, and I'm being very strict with myself. Available to students from 8 am to 4 pm. Everything that comes after that waits for the next day. 

Social distancing is widely encouraged and the curve is pretty flat, so I'm happy about that, but I leave the apartment once to twice a week. Honestly, the getting ready process is a hassle, what with the mask and gloves. Last time I went out the sun was strong, so I had sunglasses as well. Say hello to your friendly neighborhood bank robber. 

Also started to exercise daily. A combination of yoga and stationary bike. 

There are some great sites I've discovered. Here are two that pop to mind. 

http://filmedonstage.com/news/76-free-musicals-and-plays-you-can-now-stream-during-the-coronavirus-outbreak-updating-daily

http://radio.garden/visit/wichita-ks/M4PTJgvd

I just had to post this because it made me giggle:

bane-batman-visionary-corona-virus-meme.thumb.jpg.1c8702dc4c3ba76be1a2935bf007fe15.jpg

Anyone homeschooling or are you all too young for kids?

We survived week one of home schooling!

This is Biff.

This is Chip.

This is Biff and Chip's homework.

Biff and Chip are required to write down ten examples of fronted adverbials.

Biff and Chip have not a fucking clue what a fronted adverbial is.

This is Mum.

Mum has not a fucking clue what a fronted adverbial is either.

"We don't know what a fronted adverbial is," whinge Biff and Chip. "This homework is impossible. You will have to help us."

"It's not my homework, it's your homework," says Mum, thanking her lucky stars that she did not have to engage in any of this fronted adverbial bollocks when she was at school.

This is Dad.

Dad still struggles to distinguish between a noun and a verb, and would not know a fronted adverbial if one came up and punched him in the face.

Biff and Chip think for a moment about asking Dad for help.

They decide to Google instead.

This is Mrs May.

When Mrs May went into teaching she honestly believed she would be able to spend her time helping children to love learning. And putting on plays. Mrs May loves a play. She did not realise that a love of learning would not feature on the National Curriculum at all, and that she would instead be forced to meet a series of impossible and continuously moving goalposts which successive governments would put in place, and have to teach her classes about ridiculous concepts such as fronted adverbials which, in all honesty, are only ever likely to be of use if they end up becoming professors of linguistics. Or primary school teachers.

If truth be told, Mrs May has not a fucking clue what a fronted adverbial is either.

This is Floppy the dog.

Floppy holds no truck with fronted adverbials.

Floppy eats the fronted adverbial homework sheet.

Floppy knows that he is a fucking liability, and waits to be told so.

No one is more surprised than Floppy when the entire family gather around and tell him "Oh GOOD dog Floppy."

Floppy feels this is proof positive that some good can come from fronted adverbials after all.

Later at school, Biff and Chip are, for the first time, able to legitimately use the excuse: "My dog ate my homework."

Mrs May breathes a secret sigh of relief that that is one less set of incomprehensible and entirely incorrect homework that she has to plough through, and suggests to the class that they will all put on a play instead to celebrate.

Hang in there homeschoolers 🤣🤣

#IKINTST

• Love 2

Hope you guys are all doing okay.   I'm bored out of my mind and bleeding money, but it's given me time to finally start that arrow rewatch that I never get around to.

3 hours ago, Delphi said:

Hope you guys are all doing okay.   I'm bored out of my mind and bleeding money, but it's given me time to finally start that arrow rewatch that I never get around to.

Hehe you'd enjoy being a 7yo! You'd be too busy!

The school workload is insane. Everyday he's forced to write pages and pages. He says it's almost triple the work of actually going to school.

This is after I've screened the work already and told the school we are refusing to do certain things that are not useful!

I'd enjoy being seven for many other reasons,  goodbye eye cream.

Is that an aussie thing?  I can't imagine an American screening the work and saying "thanks but not nah"

(edited)
27 minutes ago, Delphi said:

Is that an aussie thing?  I can't imagine an American screening the work and saying "thanks but not nah"

Eta:  but I have not been in school in like twelve years wtf do I know.

Edited by Delphi
51 minutes ago, Delphi said:

He skipped a grade and quite a lot of things are too easy and repetitive for him so we (before Covid19) had l several meetings with the school to negotiate what work was appropriate and what wasn't.

For example they have this app where they log on to read very basic books and write summaries on the books. He reads one novel every few days and does a book report on that instead. He doesn't use the app or do the daily summaries.

• Love 1
(edited)

The CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) is now recommending that everyone wear a face mask or "cloth face covering" in public - fyi, I found the following notice, with DIY instructions on how to make your own cloth face covering, on the CDC website (includes both "Sew" and "No Sew" instructions)...

Use of Cloth Face Coverings to Help Slow the Spread of COVID-19
Page last reviewed: April 4, 2020
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/diy-cloth-face-coverings.html

Printer-friendly version:
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/downloads/DIY-cloth-face-covering-instructions.pdf

ETA: For example, if you can't sew, then you can make a face covering with (1) just a t-shirt and a pair of scissors, or (2) just a bandana, a coffee filter and two rubber bands or elastic hair ties (see above instructions).

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 2

Hubs and I used to sing "Cry" and "I Wanna Be With You" at karaoke. We loved our teen pop years!

How are you doing @tv echo?

Some interesting items are now being sold out in Australia. Everyone is trying to get their hands on a trampoline. Crisis aside I just find it really fascinating the things people start buying in droves. Practically all the affordable model trampolines are sold out right now. I'm waiting for every other model to sell out in a fortnight as people turf their kids into the yard.

• Love 1
(edited)
30 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

How are you doing @tv echo?

Same as everybody else, I guess. Staying home. Wearing a mask when I go grocery shopping. Worried about family and friends. Communicating via phone and computer. Hoping for the best. Thanks for asking!

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 5
(edited)

I recently heard about #SAVEWITHSTORIES, a new project created by Amy Adams and Jennifer Garner, where actors and other celebrities read aloud children's books on Instagram video in connection with a charity (Save the Children) that seeks to provide food and books to needy children...

https://www.savethechildren.org/us/what-we-do/emergency-response/coronavirus-outbreak/save-with-stories 

You can also find some of these Instagram videos on Youtube - for example, here's Chris Evans reading If You Give A Dog A Donut by Laura Numeroff:

(Nina C.)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
On 4/6/2020 at 7:35 AM, Mellowyellow said:

Some interesting items are now being sold out in Australia. Everyone is trying to get their hands on a trampoline. Crisis aside I just find it really fascinating the things people start buying in droves. Practically all the affordable model trampolines are sold out right now. I'm waiting for every other model to sell out in a fortnight as people turf their kids into the yard.

Where I am, free weights have been sold out for weeks, I'm guessing because people scrambled to set up for working out at home. It was also hard to find a Nintendo Switch Lite. It's interesting to see the differences in what people are getting due to space restrictions. 

Edited by lemotomato

I will say one thing, my stationary bike has seen way more use in the past few weeks than it did between July, when I bought it, and before the isolating started. Though something started to rattle in one of the pedals on Wednesday, and I haven't been on it since. 

Are you guys using Zoom? I'm taking yoga classes over it and both my principals decided to hold staff meetings this way, but it seems at least two articles about safety concerns pop up daily. 

3 hours ago, bijoux said:

Are you guys using Zoom? I'm taking yoga classes over it and both my principals decided to hold staff meetings this way, but it seems at least two articles about safety concerns pop up daily.

My company is partnered with Microsoft, so we use Microsoft Teams instead. The only time we used Teams is because I organized themed days for our daily team meetings, and my boss wanted to see how everyone dressed up as at once. Microsoft then asked us to just use teams because of the security issue, but I heard that there are privatization options for Zoom meetings and that they are working to improve security.

• Love 1

I'm trying to learn how to use Zoom because doctors are are using it for appointments and I've got a meeting on Wednesday. I've just got used to Skype.

I've heard that Zoom was hacked by trolls because of you connect in it but they're working on making it more secure.

I'm having a very hard time remembering to soically distance. It seems so strange.

My daughter works parttime in a hardware store (considered essential services) and they're all exhausted. Only one customer is allowed in at a time and only as far as the cash register. Buying is either on-line or telling one of the employees what you want. They then run all over the store getting several kinds of what you're looking for, you okay the one you wnat and then they put the rest back. They're working harder than they did before Christmas.. Such are the current days.

Happy Easter to thhose who celebrate. I don't, but my fourth graders were sending me pics of their Easter eggs, so it came to the point where it felt rude not to reciprocate. 

Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

FYI - you can vote to Keep, Drop or Don't Care about the listed shows...

Save Our Shows 2020: Vote now for your favorite TV series to return
Gary Levin    April 15, 2020
https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/tv/2020/04/15/save-our-shows-vote-favorite-tv-series/2982986001/

USA TODAY's 23rd annual Save Our Shows survey gives you a voice in a most unusual year: 19 comedies and dramas on the major broadcast networks are "on the bubble" between renewal and cancellation, with few new series teed up as potential replacements, after production on pilots was shut down last month due to the global pandemic. 

This year’s list consists almost entirely of new or somewhat recent series, such as NBC’s “Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist” and “Manifest,” CBS’s “S.W.A.T.” and “God Friended Me,” and ABC’s "Mixed-ish" and “Stumptown.”

Vote here:
https://www.usatoday.com/pages/interactives/life/save-our-shows-2020/

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1

There is flour, yeast is more tricky and the stores put a limit on how much you can buy. Even though I'm shocked how much people are buying it. Fourth week of isolation is underway, and I can tell you that the yeast consumption is at its usual levels in my house. I.e. zero. 

I get that you bake regularly, I'm not talking about that, but about the people who are hoarding it unnecessarily. It just seems wasteful and pointless. 

I have a container of yeast in my freezer from 3 years ago. It will last another five years before it runs out I think.

The boot of my friend's car.

Each bag in there is a 13kg bag of flour.

She was buying for some of her other friends. They consume a kilo of flour every day hence..... that!

IMG-20200413-WA0010.jpg

The only started seeing flour last week, and it was the really expensive, organic stuff by Bob's Mill in 5lb (2kg) bags. Still haven't seen any yeast. I've seen more bread available, so I'm not sure why flour and yeast are still sold out. Especially since growing a sourdough starter has been trending.

Edited by lemotomato

There are all kinds of things you can make yeast from. It makes me want to make several kinds and see what the difference is when use them.

But I probably won't. I'm finding that in spite of being stuck at home, there are more things that need doing than I can manage.

I heard about a website thekidswrite.com where kids submit stories that they've written during isolating and the writer managing it uploads 4 - 6 stories a day. It started in Canada but now there are stories from all over the world. It also has a lockdown diary that kids can print out and fill in. Cool stuff for those trying to do it all from home.

• Love 2

I'm okay with this result...

With Just 7 Questions, We'll Determine Which Four Fictional Characters You Are
Nora Dominick   April 16, 2020
https://www.buzzfeed.com/noradominick/four-fictional-characters-personality-quiz

You got: Sherlock Holmes, Judy Hopps, Olivia Pope, and Gary "Eggsy" Unwin

Your personality matches Sherlock from Sherlock Holmes, Judy from Zootopia, Olivia from Scandal, and Eggsy from Kingsman. Just like these four characters, you are motivated, confident, and persuasive. You're someone who loves to solve any problem or mystery. You're eager to get to the bottom of things and you love following clues to see where they lead. While you can be imaginative, you're someone who prefers to stick to concrete facts.

Edited by tv echo

Ahem:

Your personality matches Leia from Star Wars, Cristina from Grey's Anatomy, Katniss from The Hunger Games, and Eleven from Stranger Things. Just like these four characters, you are dedicated, tough, and intelligent. You're a natural-born leader who feels most comfortable when you're teaching or helping others. While you love to plan, your emotions sometimes get the better of you and you'll charge into a situation head on.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/noradominick/four-fictional-characters-personality-quiz?utm_source=dynamic&utm_campaign=bfsharecopy&quiz_result=124609021_370502602#124609021

1 hour ago, Mellowyellow said:

Anyone know if we're going to get the Falcon series and the WandaVision series.

Did they shoot WandaVision?

I was looking forward to both series.

They shot both but both didn't get to finish, although they were both close. F&tWS was supposed to come out in August, so it might not make its date, but I doubt it would get pushed back too far (Disney+ is in extreme need of original content). WandaVision I think could probably still make its December date, with mostly just the post production left to do. The Disney+ weekly release method might work in their favor to give extra post production time for the final episodes, maybe?

• Useful 1

With Just 8 Questions, We'll Determine Your Hogwarts House And Which Disney Character You Are
by Nora Dominick   April 23, 2020
https://www.buzzfeed.com/noradominick/hogwarts-house-disney-character-combo-quiz

You got: Ravenclaw and Alice from Alice in Wonderland
Your Hogwarts house is Ravenclaw and you're similar to Alice. You're clever, eloquent, and curious. Like Ravenclaw students, you let your creativity and intellect drive a lot of your decisions. And like Alice, while you are sometimes underestimated by those around you, you're someone who will do anything to prove them wrong.

Edited by tv echo

You got: Gryffindor and Woody from Toy Story

Your Hogwarts house is Gryffindor and you're similar to Woody. You are courageous, determined, and loyal. Like Gryffindor students, you are incredibly daring and will do anything to be part of a great adventure. And like Woody, your friends are very important to you and you will do anything to help them.

I'll take it.