Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Should I be happy or sad that I'm such a MCU nerd? ...

Here Is One Trivia Question For Each Marvel Cinematic Universe Movie — Can You Get A Perfect Score?
by Nora Dominick   May 3, 2020
https://www.buzzfeed.com/noradominick/marvel-each-movie-trivia-quiz

You got 23 out of 23 right!
You're a massive MCU fan
You're a huge Marvel Cinematic Universe fan. Not only did you go see all of these movies in theaters on opening weekend, but you've rewatched them several times. Not only do you know the general plot lines, but you remember some of the trickier details.

Also, in case you miss the Avengers cast, this is both funny and touching...

‘Avengers’ Cast Reunites
ET Canada   May 4, 2020

Edited by tv echo
  • Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(edited)

I now regret all the times I joked about Australia having too many oversized, deadly creatures. (Sorry, @Mellowyellow!) Apparently this is what the killer hornets that have just arrived in the US look like:

Edited by lemotomato

Yowsers! I'd rather an Aussie spider!!!

How is everyone doing? We are allowed visitors of up to two adults and unlimited children!

I am having a small lunch at my place with another family this week! 

Toilet paper is back on the shelves!!! Same with flour and sugar!

Kids are returning to school one day a week!

Where do things stand in your neck of the woods everyone?

Things in Northern California hasn't really changed in terms of restrictions. Most non-essential store and restaurants (except for those with takeout options) are still closed, everyone has to wear masks when they're out, and social distancing rules are still in place. We might have a nationwide meat shortage because the big meat processing plants have had high rates of infections among the employees. 

Golf courses were allowed to re-open, so good for them, I guess. And gas prices are the lowest I've seen in 15 years. 

• Useful 1

WA state is much the same. I actually started a new job a few weeks back (was in the Travel industry, noped my way out of that once this hit) so that's been very weird - onboarding virtually is not ideal, but I really like my new job. My company has extended WFH until early October, even though the state will begin re-opening in phases. Personally, I miss my hair stylist, but I'm not going in anytime soon. My daughter's July summer camp was cancelled and I fully expect her August one to be cancelled as well. I feel terrible for kids missing so many milestones. 

I go to the grocery store once every 2 weeks or so, they try to do a good job, but people are just not good at social distancing. I do pick up food from local restaurants, I am doing whatever I can to support them. Some have gotten really crafty, and have excellent procedures in place. I hope they will survive this mess.

I miss bookstores (and bars). I am on a buying spree for my deck. If I can't go hang out anywhere this summer, I'm going to need a place to read my book, listen to some music, and drink my wine or apperol spritz. Of course just in time for the murder hornets to show up. 😕 

• Useful 1

Hi Guys

Super weird question but if anyone can help me you guys can!

I'm rewatching every version of Emma made. BBC version is the best!!!!!

So the question is:

Why could Emma be independently wealthy and inherit from her dad but the Pride and Prejudice girls were going to be penniless when their father died???

Also Elton in Emma married a girl with $20,000 pounds. How come she had money if the laws were so oppressive to women?

I really need to know!!!!!!

(edited)

I don’t know the answer but I agree 100% with the BBC version being the best. 

Unpopular Jane Austen opinion: The Pride & Prejudice version with Colin Firth does not age well. 

Edited by Chaser
14 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Hi Guys

Super weird question but if anyone can help me you guys can!

So the question is:

Why could Emma be independently wealthy and inherit from her dad but the Pride and Prejudice girls were going to be penniless when their father died???

Also Elton in Emma married a girl with $20,000 pounds. How come she had money if the laws were so oppressive to women?

I really need to know!!!!!!

As I understand it (and someone correct me if I'm wrong), in England there are rules attached to a property you get through inheritance. The Bennets lived on an estate that stipulated it could only be passed down to a male relative. The Woodhouse's estate apparently didn't have that restriction attached, so Emma (and her sister) would've inherited if her dad wanted them to. 

Re: Mrs Elton-- her family was wealthy and the 20,000 pounds was her dowry. She was lucky that her dad agreed to give her that much money to live on, but other women might not have been. 

And I agree that the BBC Emma was the best, although I thought all versions of Mr. Knightly were pretty dreamy. Have you seen the modernized youtube version (Emma Approved)? 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Mellowyellow said:

Don't forget Clueless!

Also everyone needs to be aware of the upcoming greatest day of this year:

• Love 3

Mr Knightly is awesome and personally has a temperament that's more suited to me than Mr Darcy!

@lemotomato thanks for that answer!!!!

Have you seen the 2020 version? Yay or nay? I saw the trailer of the 2020 version and I'm not so sure about it...... Emma seems....a bit aggressive from the clip I saw

• Love 1

I love Darcy but I’m a Knightly girl. I need that on a coffee mug. 

Based off of the trailer, I wasn’t sure about the 2020 Emma. I was pleasantly surprised though. I ended up really enjoying it. It was different but in good way for me.

• Love 1
(edited)

I'll give it a go! I trust you guys!

I'm really wary about Frank Churchill after the Gwyneth version and the BBC version. I don't remember thinking he was so shady when I was younger. I wonder how Jane would fare with him in the long run. I'd rather Mr Martin the farmer in all honesty! 

ETA: Also Mr Weston seemed so nice and he wasn't poor. Surely he could have kept his kid and hired a governess!

Edited by Mellowyellow
  • Love 1
42 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

As I understand it (and someone correct me if I'm wrong), in England there are rules attached to a property you get through inheritance. The Bennets lived on an estate that stipulated it could only be passed down to a male relative. The Woodhouse's estate apparently didn't have that restriction attached, so Emma (and her sister) would've inherited if her dad wanted them to. 

Re: Mrs Elton-- her family was wealthy and the 20,000 pounds was her dowry. She was lucky that her dad agreed to give her that much money to live on, but other women might not have been.

Yes.  The money Mr. Bennett lived on as well as the property was entailed and upon the death of man, it went to the next male heir. There was not much money that Mr. Bennett owned for himself so that he couldn't give his daughters

The Married Women's Property Act of 1870 finally let women have some control of their own money.

Before 1870, any money made by a woman either through a wage, from investment, by gift, or through inheritance instantly became the property of her husband once she was married with the exception of the Dowry. The dowry provided by a bride's father to be used for his daughter's financial support throughout her married life and into her widowhood, and also a means by which the bride's father was able to obtain from the bridegroom's father a financial commitment to the intended marriage and to the children resulting therefrom. It also was an instrument by which the practice of primogeniture was effected by the use of an entail in tail male.

I could never really like Emma because she was so immature and convinced that she knew better than anyone else. I know that it's the premise of the book but Mr. Knightly deserved better.

I want to see the 2020 version though because Mrs. Elton is played by Gemma Westo who I love in Upstart Crow.

• Useful 2

29 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

I'm really wary about Frank Churchill after the Gwyneth version and the BBC version. I don't remember thinking he was so shady when I was younger. I wonder how Jane would fare with him in the long run. I'd rather Mr Martin the farmer in all honesty! 

ETA: Also Mr Weston seemed so nice and he wasn't poor. Surely he could have kept his kid and hired a governess!

I agree with Mr Knightly's assessment that Frank Churchill didn't really deserve all the good things that happened to him. His behavior was pretty selfish and dickish throughout. It's hard to see what Jane saw in him to put up with all that.

2 hours ago, Chaser said:

Unpopular Jane Austen opinion: The Pride & Prejudice version with Colin Firth does not age well. 

I could only make it through that series once because Mrs Bennett was so OTT shrill and obnoxious she made me want to murder. I prefer the 2005 version overall.

• Love 1

My unpopular opinion: my favorite P&P version is still the old B&W version with Greer Garson and Laurence Olivier.  I know it’s dated and not true to the book, and the costumes are totally wrong, but it was the first version I ever watched and I have to admit that they are still the ones I see in my head as Elizabeth and Darcy (not to mention that no one has ever come close in my head to Maureen O’Sullivan as Jane).

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Starfish35 said:

My unpopular opinion: my favorite P&P version is still the old B&W version with Greer Garson and Laurence Olivier.  I know it’s dated and not true to the book, and the costumes are totally wrong, but it was the first version I ever watched and I have to admit that they are still the ones I see in my head as Elizabeth and Darcy (not to mention that no one has ever come close in my head to Maureen O’Sullivan as Jane).

I love that version too and agree with you that Jane was perfect in it.

I'm more of an Emma girl though. She's so happy and during these times there's a lot of comfort in the fact that most of her problems were her own doing!

Now I'm trying to remember who was Elton in Clueless. Christian was a much nicer version of Frank right?

Hubby is like: Are you seriously watching the same plot over and over again?

Edited by Mellowyellow
  • Love 1

As for women and inheritance in Austen, who could forget Lady Catherine de Burgh and Anne? Rosings went to Anne, no distant AF male relative since the property was not entailed. 

Apparently this was abolished in 1925. I will have to look if entail could be broken if someone was willing to pour time and money into it in the House of Lords. 

(edited)

If you're a fan of the LoTR movie trilogy, you'll appreciate this recent Zoom cast reunion (organized by Josh Gad) - both hilarious and touching at times, nice way to spend 50 minutes while in lockdown...

One Zoom to Rule Them All | Reunited Apart LORD OF THE RINGS Edition
Josh Gad   May 31, 2020

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

FYI ...

TV's Back-to-Work Plan Takes Shape: L.A. Sets Rules for Pandemic-Era Love Scenes, Studio Audiences and More
By Matt Webb Mitovich / June 12 2020
https://tvline.com/2020/06/12/how-tv-shows-will-return-safely-post-pandemic/

... L.A. County on Thursday issued its “Reopening Protocol for Music, Television and Film Production,” which lays out policies designed to protect employee health, measures to ensure physical distancing, and more.
😷 All employees are required to wear cloth face coverings whenever they are in contact with others, unless — as in the case with actors — the production activity does not allow for the wearing of a face covering. Any latter such instances “should be of short duration and with as much physical distancing as possible,” though ideally “a minimum of 8 feet … during rehearsal or performance.”

😷 Any scenes requiring cast or crew to be closer than 6 feet must be as brief as possible and cast must be as silent as possible to avoid spreading droplets through talking. Scenes with direct prolonged physical contact between cast (intimate scenes, fight scenes) are discouraged at this time.

😷 All cast shall wash or sanitize hands when beginning the filming of a scene and not touch their face during the filming session.

😷 Large crowd scenes should be avoided.

😷 Hair and makeup services “should be limited only to cast that require it and cannot do it themselves.”

😷 Symptom checks are conducted before employees may enter the workspace.

😷 Studio audience members can include paid staff, and must be seated at least 6 feet from each other and wear face coverings whenever feasible. Audiences should be limited to 100 people or 25 percent of the maximum occupancy of the space (whichever is smaller).

😷 There must be regular, periodic testing of the cast and crew on a given production to mitigate the risk of the spread of COVID-19, especially for those cast and crew that are involved in high risk scenes requiring close contact without face coverings for extended periods of time.

😷 Each production must assign a COVID-19 Compliance Officer or Officers, responsible for establishing and enforcing safety protocols.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

I saw this in my local supermarket this weekend and did a little online research...

Hershey’s Announces DC Super Hero Chocolate Bars
Stephanie Mounce   May 8, 2020
https://thebatmanuniverse.net/hersheys/

Hershey’s has released details for its latest line of chocolate bars, which features stamped crests of Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman in packaging featuring even more members of the Justice League including Flash, Cyborg, and Green Lantern. Before they are available to the public, Hershey will be giving them out to the frontline workers of the pandemic. They will be sending crates of the sweet treats primarily to the hardest-hit areas, including New York, Louisiana, Philadelphia, and more. They will not be available to the public nation-wide until this summer (2020) and will only be available for a limited time. So keep an eye out this summer at your local store.

hershey.jpg

Hersheys-Milk-Chocolate-DC-Super-Hero-Ba

Hersheys-Milk-Chocolate-DC-Super-Hero-Ba 

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, Chaser said:

They are making an Animorphs movie and I don’t know how to process this info. 

Those books got DARK. I wonder how much they'll cover in a movie - both how dark they'll go and how much of the series they will try to cram into one film. 

I don’t know how you fit it into a movie. I think a series would be a much better choice.

The article I read didn’t give me a whole lot of confidence. He seemed to be putting in a more action adventures Power Rangers like. That wasn’t the books. Can you imagine the Power Rangers dealing with David like that? That was horrifying. 

• Love 1
(edited)

FYI - the fall schedule looks pretty 'blah' to me...

'Fall' TV Grid 2020: Your Handy Guide to What's on When, and Versus What
By Matt Webb Mitovich / June 18 2020
https://tvline.com/2020/06/18/fall-tv-schedule-2020-nbc-network-cbs-primetime-abc-shows/

fall-tv-grid-2020-r2.jpg

fall-tv-schedule-midseason1.png...
THE CW (Early 2021): All American, Batwoman, Black Lightning, Charmed, The Flash, Legacies, Nancy Drew, Riverdale, SUPERMAN & LOIS, WALKER… (Spring 2021) DC’s Legends of Tomorrow; Dynasty, In the Dark, KUNG FU, THE REPUBLIC OF SARAH, Roswell New Mexico, Supergirl and any returning shows not yet renewed (e.g. Katy Keene)

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 2
(edited)

Whoa...

Constance Wu & Sam Heughan Join Freida Pinto, Sope Dirisu In Period Rom-Com ‘Mr Malcolm’s List’ – Cannes
By Tom Grater    June 17, 2020
https://deadline.com/2020/06/constance-wu-sam-heughan-freida-pinto-sope-dirisu-rom-com-mr-malcolms-list-1202957616/ 

EXCLUSIVE: Cast has rounded out on Mr Malcolm’s List, with Crazy Rich Asians and Hustlers star Constance Wu and Outlander actor Sam Heughan joining Freida Pinto, Sope Dirisu and Oliver Jackson-Cohen in the period romantic comedy.

The former Black List script is written by Suzanne Allain and based on her novel of the same name, which is set to be published globally on July 28. Emma Holly Jones is on directing duties; she previously helmed a short film adaptation starring Pinto and Gemma Chan which has garnered more than one million views on Youtube.

Sope Dirisu is returning for the feature as the titular Mr Malcolm, London’s most eligible bachelor. When Julia (Constance Wu) is jilted by him after she failed to meet one of the items on his list of requirements for a bride, she enlists her friend Selina (Pinto) to help her take revenge.
“I am so incredibly excited and honoured to have Constance and Sam join this cast. Their talents know no bounds and I cannot wait to show the world our take on a Regency era romantic comedy” said director Emma Holly Jones.]/quote]

Edited by tv echo
(edited)
20 hours ago, lemotomato said:

I saw the original short with Gemma Chan and liked it. A little less interested now that she was replaced by Constance Wu.

Found this video of the Gemma Chan version - yeah, I think I would've preferred her to Constance Wu as well (although I do like Sam Heughan)...

(Refinery29)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
On 6/18/2020 at 11:01 PM, Chaser said:

I don’t know how you fit it into a movie. I think a series would be a much better choice.

Yeah,  a two or three season arc on one of streaming giants would've been a better choice.  A teenage action adventure movie is definitely not gonna give it the gravitas that it deserves. 

• Love 1

Fun fact: not being at Comic Con means I have a much harder time keeping up with Comic Con. I'm currently catching up on the virtual panels and I'm delighted to discover that they remembered to include my recurring favorite: voice actors. I think I've gushed about that panel before but it has been my favorite part of the con for the last few years. I originally stumbled upon it because I just wanted to sit down and there were seats left in the room. Then I listened to the actors and it's now the favorite. Voice actors have stories for days and are so engaging so I recommend watching.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

I redid my whole living room. To be fair, I rarely do this, but I needed to control SOMETHING during the pandemic. I love it, which is good considering I didn’t see or sit on any of this before buying. 

• Love 3
23 hours ago, lemotomato said:

All that natural light looks great! I this your new house? How do you like it?

Yes it is our new house! I love love love it!!!

With lockdown and potential further lockdowns I'm just so relieved we made the decision to move. There is so much more space and my sister has her own room so she could move in if she wanted to (or even move to the pool house which has it's own kitchenette if we annoy her). 

One of the things the boys insisted on was a pool. Everyone told me it was a bad idea and a huge hassle but we're really relieved we got a pool. The beaches will be packed in summer (they are packed on sunny days in winter right now) and Australia gets crazy hot so it was a good decision, especially in hindsight.

Plus it hasn't been too hard to take care of. Hehe the previous owners were very proud that they constructed the pool without trees around. Trees double the work load apparently  😂

Ta da!!!

received_3429644820463930.thumb.jpeg.f8c39fb2d5bf5e56cac49a0e1d467098.jpeg

• Love 2

@Mellowyellow and @Kymmi, that's great, guys. I'm currently in the process of renovating an apartment before moving in. It's pretty frustrating as construction work naturally gets more complicated and expensive along the way and I'm undertaking some things that weren't part of my original plan. Plus, spending a lot of money is going against my basic instincts, I'm much more of a save up for the rainy day type, so it's challenging that way as well. 

• Love 1

What are you doing @bijoux

I reckon renovations are like a rainy day anyway! They add value to your property and make your life more comfortable.

What are you doing?

Good thing you're doing it before you move in. I know a family who built a second level while they were still living in their house. I don't know how they did it but she was pregnant and had three kids as well. That would drive me to madness!!!

The plan was to change out the outer windows and doors and update the bathroom. Buy some new furniture and then go in increments. Set up the walk in pantry and see what I'll do with the kitchen in 6-12 months. 

Well, it spread to the kitchen and pantry definitely, and possibly to the entryway and one of the balconies. Currently, I have new piping, the tiles in the bathroom and kitchen have been removed and there are a couple of inside doors that should be moved next week, i.e. walled up and new openings cut out in different places. It seems I'll also need to redo all the wiring, which is another really expensive item and will damage the walls, meaning additional work and cost. I just fear now that they'll damage the hardwood floors.

No matter how many DIY videos I watch, I'm not nearly confident enough to do it on my own. And contractors really cost money. 

At least I do have new outer windows and doors. So that's one item on the list I followed. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Ahh so pretty big job!

Fwiw I think you'll suffer now but have a much easier life later. If I could afford it I would just do anything I can afford now. Because later they'll be trampling through your furnished house.

Keep us updated!!! I think I must have gone through a new life stage in the last year. I'm all about renovations and furnishings. I never cared before! Like never! 

• Love 1

Yeah, I'm all about that now, even though I think I'll have to postpone some (plenty of) my decorating ideas due to the cost of some of the big stuff. But okay, I'll tackle furniture later on and have the basics for starters.