Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

On 3/1/2019 at 10:21 PM, Sew Sumi said:

I'm currently going through a rough patch. MIL is in Skilled nursing after suffering a UTI, but now has secondary symptoms. Hubby is undergoing ECT after an 11 day inpatient stay at the hospital because he was suicidal. My life is on ho!d as he can't leave the hospital on his own. He can't drive at all during the 3 weeks of treatment. I just hope this works. He's had some bizarre side effects, but thankfully they go away quickly. I think they backed off on the dosage today, as he's had no disturbing incidents since we got home earlier this afternoon. 

Once I knew everyone was stable, I had some vino. Can now breathe like I haven't been able to for the past couple of weeks. 

So sorry to hear this, @Sew Sumi. I second the comments of others that so much caregiving will drain you faster than anything. Try to take care of yourself, too. My grandmother had ECT when she was very depressed and it really made a difference for her. I hope it helps your husband and that things get better for you and for your MIL. I always look forward to your posts here.

• Love 9

@Scarlett45 and fellow gone with the wind fans...I saw it in theatres tonight for the 80th anniversary, and it was the best experience ever!!! It was so moving to see it in theatres, and I noticed a lot of little things that have never stood out to me before! If it's coming to your city, I would highly recommend it. Such a wonderful night!!!

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
14 minutes ago, Christina87 said:

@Scarlett45 and fellow gone with the wind fans...I saw it in theatres tonight for the 80th anniversary, and it was the best experience ever!!! It was so moving to see it in theatres, and I noticed a lot of little things that have never stood out to me before! If it's coming to your city, I would highly recommend it. Such a wonderful night!!!

I saw it at the Castro Theater, a 1920s movie palace in San Francisco. The first time Mammy appeared on the screen, the audience went wild. The whole theater broke out in applause and laughter. It was so much fun seeing GWTW on the big screen with an appreciative audience.

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, Bayarea4 said:

I saw it at the Castro Theater, a 1920s movie palace in San Francisco. The first time Mammy appeared on the screen, the audience went wild. The whole theater broke out in applause and laughter. It was so much fun seeing GWTW on the big screen with an appreciative audience.

Awwwww I bet that was SO much fun!!! It really was awesome to see it with an audience. My audience laughed a lot, which was cool, and applauded at the end. My mom told me that when she was a kid, she saw it two times in a row. Can you imagine? It would be fun, but I could not sit that long! I was getting antsy the last hour or so, haha. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen it at once, until today! Usually I watch the first act one day, and the second act another day. 

• Love 1
(edited)
15 hours ago, Christina87 said:

My mom told me that when she was a kid, she saw it two times in a row. Can you imagine? It would be fun, but I could not sit that long!

I can imagine..when I was a kid we saw movies over and over too. Once you paid, you could stay all day if you wanted to...in fact, my mom encouraged it. Now I realize it was giving her a break from all of us, since she just dropped us off and then would pick us up when we called. 

Plus, we didn't have any way to watch movies on tv back then, like my kids did with vcrs. Also, I remember we only had 4 tv channels, and one black and white tv, and if my dad was watching football, we were SOL for any other programs for hours.

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 4

Growing up, our local movie theater played a whole Saturday afternoon of kid movies usually three for one ticket.  The movies covered all age groups starting with a film for younger kids like Bambi & ending up with a Disney film geared for the older kids like Escape to Witch Mountain or the Herbie the Love Bug movies. It worked out well for us. My friend & I were in the younger set & my sister & her friend were in the older group so everyone was happy.

We stopped at our small 5& 10  cent store (remember those?) to get a small bagful of penny candy to last us through the movies.

My friend & I were in our early teens when we saw GWTW in the theater.  We were impressed when they had intermission to change the film reels. My friend had a GWTW stage when her life revolved around the movie & book. I know I started reading the book but don't think I ever got through it. I got it at a yard sale. 

Once again, thanks for stirring up pleasant memories. 

• Love 4
13 hours ago, Christina87 said:

I will check it out. 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Finally a nice, solid amount of snow here! About 4 inches Friday night, and a further 10 or so on top of that on Sunday! Sooo pretty 🙂

And, in that vein...how can I resist - sorry to subject everyone to so many of these, but maybe she can be our little anti-fundie mascot.

53361194_10210915035432412_1910755328501219328_n.jpg

I'm not really a kid person, but I always look forward to your pics of your granddaughter. She is just so adorable! 🙂 

• Love 4
(edited)

@Sew Sumi (hugs) for you! (Hugs) for everyone!

We will finally get some nice weather! Friday it is suppose to snow, but at least it will be warmer out. This morning it was 26 below zero. BRR!!!

We went to shop at the new Winco store this morning. Nice store with good prices. The parking lot was clear of snow which was nice for walking and driving. We probably will be shopping there a lot. It is about six miles from our house and close to a branch of the credit union we go to which will be handy for credit union errands and shopping along with being close to the gas station we go to for gas. The store also has self checkouts.

And on the way home from the store, I saw two llamas. I love llamas and camels.

Edited by bigskygirl
26 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Finally a nice, solid amount of snow here! About 4 inches Friday night, and a further 10 or so on top of that on Sunday! Sooo pretty 🙂

And, in that vein...how can I resist - sorry to subject everyone to so many of these, but maybe she can be our little anti-fundie mascot.

53361194_10210915035432412_1910755328501219328_n.jpg

She's such a cutie!!! Love her little leopard print coat with the fur. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

And on the way home from the store, I saw two llamas. I love llamas and camels.

We took a kayaking trip on Tomales Bay a few years back (north of San Francisco) and stayed at a weird little motel that was a collection of cottages and where they also raised alpacas, llamas, and other animals. It was odd but cool. We got to go out to the pasture and walk the animals back for dinner with the proprietors of the motel.

• Love 2

Ah man. I need to check if they're showing Gone With the Wind here. I would love to see it in a theatre. I watched it on my last flight. We had so many delays that I was able to get through the entire thing and still have time left over.

I had mixed feelings re-watching it recently. I used to watch movies from the 1930s and 1940s as a kid but I noticed I'm so used to today's acting that I realized how over-exaggerated it was compared to today's movies. Leslie Howard as Ashley was an awful choice. What were they thinking?

• Love 4
1 minute ago, PikaScrewChu said:

Leslie Howard as Ashley was an awful choice. What were they thinking?

Overall, I enjoy the movie--watched it on my own not too long ago--but I agree that he's the weak link for me. It doesn't help that his efforts to hide his British accent are minimal and just sound really weird.

Still, would love to see the movie in theater! Not sure I'll be able to catch any of the local-ish screenings this time around. 

1 minute ago, Zella said:

Overall, I enjoy the movie--watched it on my own not too long ago--but I agree that he's the weak link for me. It doesn't help that his efforts to hide his British accent are minimal and just sound really weird.

It's so weird because he's supposed to be this proud Southern gentleman and all I could see was this British stiff upper lip.

He doesn't seem to have any redeeming qualities either. I don't get Scarlett's undying devotion towards him. Melanie was supposed to be this meek, weak creature but she came off as the headship in the movie.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, PikaScrewChu said:

It's so weird because he's supposed to be this proud Southern gentleman and all I could see was this British stiff upper lip.

He doesn't seem to have any redeeming qualities either. I don't get Scarlett's undying devotion towards him. Melanie was supposed to be this meek, weak creature but she came off as the headship in the movie.

Yeah I had a hard time seeing the attraction too. If he had just been scorchingly hot, I would have got it. But as is, he was just kinda there for the whole movie. 

Melanie is awesome! 

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, PikaScrewChu said:

I think this comes from the movie leaving out plotlines and characterizations from the book.  Book Ashley makes sense as the ideal southern intellectual gentleman.  The man Scarlett thinks she is supposed to love as she is trying to be the ideal southern woman like her mother.  The movie leaves this part of Scarlett out and Ashley suffers in the interpretation.  The first part of the book up until Scarlett returns to Tara at the end of the war is Scarlett trying and failing to live up to an ideal.  It's not until she returns to Tara and goes into survival mode does Scarlett stop chasing this fantasy.  I can't remember if it is clear to Scarlett in the book that her mother basically committed suicide.  I know in both the book and the movie Ellen dies after nursing the local poor family back to health, but I think the book spells out how unhappy Ellen has been since her marriage.  Scarlett's monologue in the cotton field is her rejecting her mother's approach to life.  

• Love 4

So I was a huge Gone With the Wind fan growing up in New Jersey. I am old. Saw the movie first in a theater. Then on the teevee. Then bought the VHS set. And now we live in metro Atlanta. Visited son who lives here many times before we moved. As our real Atlanta folks know there is a lot here related. And I think I’ve done nearly all of it. Some things more than once. Or twice. Depending on the tour guide at the Margaret Mitchell house one can hear the basics repeated or get some other info. Anyone know of anything off the beaten path? 

Last day of drops from the cataract surgery. Couldn’t be more pleased. What I didn’t know is how exhausting it is to process all that great vision. Not complaining at all. Come to find out it takes the brain some time to process it all, for some people. Explained to eye doctor and he said very common. Checked with a few friends a few months ahead of me and said same thing. Went on line - same thing. If I had known that part would have been easier. anyway. Great outcome. 

• Love 11

I always thought that Laurence Olivier would have made a great Ashley. He would have had the acting chops to fake a Southern accent, and he had such charisma that it wouldn't be such a stretch of the imagination to picture Vivien Leigh swooning over him. After all, she was doing that in real life and would soon become Mrs. Olivier.

• Love 3

Laurence Olivier was SO HANDSOME! I'm currently reading Rebecca on my commute only because I so dearly want to watch the movie. For me, it's him and Omar Sharif, tbh. (but I could talk about handsome old hollywood men all day. I've been doing "research" for a book im writing that takes place post wwii hollywood, which means I've been reading about the scandals and love affairs)  

• Love 8
37 minutes ago, allonsyalice said:

Laurence Olivier was SO HANDSOME! I'm currently reading Rebecca on my commute only because I so dearly want to watch the movie. For me, it's him and Omar Sharif, tbh. (but I could talk about handsome old hollywood men all day. I've been doing "research" for a book im writing that takes place post wwii hollywood, which means I've been reading about the scandals and love affairs)  

Olivier was a fox when he was younger!

Also, Rebecca is probably one of my all-time favorite books, so your post makes me want to reread it. The movie with Olivier is good too, but I don't remember it as well. 

1 hour ago, Bayarea4 said:

I always thought that Laurence Olivier would have made a great Ashley. He would have had the acting chops to fake a Southern accent, and he had such charisma that it wouldn't be such a stretch of the imagination to picture Vivien Leigh swooning over him. After all, she was doing that in real life and would soon become Mrs. Olivier.

I support this retroactive casting decision. 😀

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, Zella said:

Olivier was a fox when he was younger!

Also, Rebecca is probably one of my all-time favorite books, so your post makes me want to reread it. The movie with Olivier is good too, but I don't remember it as well. 

Netflix is remaking it, starring Armie Hammer and Lily James. I'm not too confident in Hammer (he's a decent enough actor, but some of his behaviour on social media is a turn off), but Lily James can do no wrong in my eyes so I'll watch for her. 

I'm really enjoying it so far. She's just become Mrs. De Witt and is wholly uncomfortable with it im very excited to see Olivier and Fontaine bring it to screen.

• Love 3
27 minutes ago, allonsyalice said:

Netflix is remaking it, starring Armie Hammer and Lily James. I'm not too confident in Hammer (he's a decent enough actor, but some of his behaviour on social media is a turn off), but Lily James can do no wrong in my eyes so I'll watch for her. 

Hmm I hadn't heard this and am not sure how I feel about it. 

I'm probably the only person on the planet who actually liked Leslie Howard as Ashley (and, worse, both preferred him to Clark Gable, and preferred the character of Ashley to that of Rhett). I have no real explanation for it other than a good dash of contrariness in my nature and a personal deep discomfort with arrogant types. Over the years, having both watched the movie and re-read the book at least a dozen times, I find that my original teenage reactions were very shallow and failed to really take the personalities of the characters into account. Plus I had my own issues with a soul-deep longing for someone I could never have, which made me totally identify with Scarlett, never realizing that the both of us were manufacturing an idealized person who was probably quite wrong for us in real life. But since I'm probably a lot more like Melanie than Scarlett in real life (even though I could never be quite as sweet and selfless as Melanie, I'm still far, far less ruthless, ambitious, confident and calculating as Scarlett), and would do far, far better married to an Ashley than I would to a Rhett. I'd bore Rhett to death in a week, but Ashley and I could always read to each other LOL

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I'm probably the only person on the planet who actually liked Leslie Howard as Ashley (and, worse, both preferred him to Clark Gable, and preferred the character of Ashley to that of Rhett). I have no real explanation for it other than a good dash of contrariness in my nature and a personal deep discomfort with arrogant types. Over the years, having both watched the movie and re-read the book at least a dozen times, I find that my original teenage reactions were very shallow and failed to really take the personalities of the characters into account. Plus I had my own issues with a soul-deep longing for someone I could never have, which made me totally identify with Scarlett, never realizing that the both of us were manufacturing an idealized person who was probably quite wrong for us in real life. But since I'm probably a lot more like Melanie than Scarlett in real life (even though I could never be quite as sweet and selfless as Melanie, I'm still far, far less ruthless, ambitious, confident and calculating as Scarlett), and would do far, far better married to an Ashley than I would to a Rhett. I'd bore Rhett to death in a week, but Ashley and I could always read to each other LOL

It's funny because though I disliked Ashley, I didn't care for Rhett either. I really disliked Rhett in the book more, though. (I feel like the movie skims over some of Rhett's worst behavior, and the character benefits from Clark Gable's charisma as opposed to how he comes across on the page, but he's still a really off-putting character in many ways.)

I did have a years-long unrequited thing for a guy that never panned out, and on that note, I could always sympathize with Scarlett, though I often found her behavior off-putting too. I had a pretty good chuckle about "Ashley and I could always read to each other" because now Former Unrequited Love and I have settled into just wishing each other happy holidays and occasionally mailing each other books. I'd probably bore Rhett too. 😂

• Love 3
(edited)
21 hours ago, Zella said:

Hmm I hadn't heard this and am not sure how I feel about it. 

Okay, update, the further I get into this book, the less convinced I am Armie Hammer can do this role justice. (I wanna say Henry Cavill could do it better.) (or it would be interesting to see Chris Evans in this role too)

Edited by allonsyalice
  • Love 1
(edited)
7 minutes ago, allonsyalice said:

Okay, update, the further I get into this book, the less convinced I am Armie Hammer can do this role justice. (I wanna say Henry Cavill could do it better.) (or it would be interesting to see Chris Evans in this role too)

I've never actually seen Hammer in anything, but I really do think it requires a suave, posh British man who can be both charming and menacing. And since he's American, that's an automatic no for me.

Edited by Zella
22 hours ago, Zella said:

I really disliked Rhett in the book more, though. (I feel like the movie skims over some of Rhett's worst behavior, and the character benefits from Clark Gable's charisma as opposed to how he comes across on the page, but he's still a really off-putting character in many ways.)

Yes. Clark was such a charismatic actor and charming man. Also a pioneer and forward thinker- do you know he desegregated the crew facilities for the movie?! Crew members went to him and he demanded it. When Hattie was barred from the premerie he said he wouldn’t attend either, Hattie told him he had to, for the success of the film. He was also damn fine and that helps. 

• Love 9
38 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Happy Mardi Gras y’all  

I didn’t get the baby, despite bringing two king cakes to work. 

mardi gras parade GIF

It's the first time in years I haven't planned a menu for Mardi Gras: muffuletta, gumbo, etouffée, something. I made a king cake one year but then we were two people in a house with a king cake and we're in our fifties, not our twenties, so neither of us needs the incentive to eat king cake every day.

• Love 6
36 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Yes. Clark was such a charismatic actor and charming man. Also a pioneer and forward thinker- do you know he desegregated the crew facilities for the movie?! Crew members went to him and he demanded it. When Hattie was barred from the premerie he said he wouldn’t attend either, Hattie told him he had to, for the success of the film. He was also damn fine and that helps. 

Oh that's really interesting about the crew! I knew about Hattie and the premiere but not about desegregating the crew facilities. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

It's the first time in years I haven't planned a menu for Mardi Gras: muffuletta, gumbo, etouffée, something. I made a king cake one year but then we were two people in a house with a king cake and we're in our fifties, not our twenties, so neither of us needs the incentive to eat king cake every day.

I had three small pieces this morning in hopes to get the baby. I spent half of my daily weight watchers points on it. I’m doing a combo of WW and intermittent fasting (I fast 2pm-6am). 10lbs this month. The weight has got to come off- I can handle being fat but not this fat, and I don’t want to spend $3k on the gastric sleeve or the side effects (not knocking anyone who’s had it done). I just need to stop eating so much! Lol. 

• Love 6

Scarlett45, I'm doing intermittent fasting, too! It's more for gut health but I do need to lose some weight, too. I totally fell off any good eating habits I had when my mom started chemo in September. I eat between 11:30am to 7:30pm. I'm also starting modified keto next week when I'm back from vacation. I have to eat a little more carbs than it calls for since I've got some autoimmune stuff and my doc said too low carb would be stressful for my body.

• Love 2

My friend’s son moved to Kansas about a year ago. He got lonely so he joined a church. Now he’s puppeting phrases we are used to hearing the Duggars and other cult type church (thank goodness no Scientology there) talk. He’s worried. What are things that should read like red flags if heard? The son is in his early 40’s and freshly divorced. 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Mindthinkr said:

My friend’s son moved to Kansas about a year ago. He got lonely so he joined a church. Now he’s puppeting phrases we are used to hearing the Duggars and other cult type church (thank goodness no Scientology there) talk. He’s worried. What are things that should read like red flags if heard? The son is in his early 40’s and freshly divorced. 

I've done a lot of reading on cults (partially because I find them interesting and partially because of a worrying situation with a relative--whom I don't think is in a cult but is definitely wrapped up in unhealthy manipulative relationships). 

This is a pretty good list of worrying patterns. Doesn't include phrases, but you can definitely see if the worrying phrases line up with these.

https://culteducation.com/warningsigns.html

• Useful 2
(edited)
5 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

@Zella Thank you. I’ll read it and pass it on. 

He states it’s a church he joined but to his Dad he sounds as though he’s being indoctrinated. 

Has he stated what church it is? I had a friend in college who was homeschooled, and she said they joined a home church for a few months before realizing it was basically a weird cult. They were able to bail with few complications, but I'm wondering if it's a similar situation for this guy's kid. Hope he can get his son out of it. The situation with my relative has been very exasperating and worrying, though again it isn't a cult. 

It does sound like he might be very vulnerable to that if he is lonely and isolated. That's one of the things that really stood out to me in my research--a lot of cult followers are otherwise intelligent, well educated, talented, and even successful people. But they are often emotionally vulnerable because of factors like being lonely or isolated or hurting and seeking some sense of community and connection. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 3
On 3/4/2019 at 8:42 PM, Jynnan tonnix said:

This is so well thought out! Clark Gable was fiiiiine, but Ashley did have the better personality, and was a true gentleman. Haha I am definitely the sweet "mom" type, kind of like melanie, and I always worry about being too boring for guys lol. I like to have interesting conversations and do fun things like travel, but I'm not into getting wild and crazy, which is boring to some guys. 

• Love 2

@Zella Yes, from what I understand the “bad ones” are all about finding new members who are lonely, have money and are vulnerable. 

I will try to find out the name of the church tomorrow. 

I’m sorry that you have to deal with a similar (if not worse) situation. 

• Love 2
(edited)
10 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

@Zella Yes, from what I understand the “bad ones” are all about finding new members who are lonely, have money and are vulnerable. 

I will try to find out the name of the church tomorrow. 

I’m sorry that you have to deal with a similar (if not worse) situation. 

Thank you! I don't think my relative is in any physical danger, but I do think she is being used. 😞 But nobody can say anything about the people in her life without her retaliating by cutting them out, so I hold my tongue. (My theory, though others in the family have disagreed, is it is better to stay on good terms, to neither condemn her friends nor endorse them when talking to her about it, and to let her always know she has someone she can talk to who will listen non-judgmentally, so she will know if she chooses to extricate herself from that situation, she will also know she has always an out. From what I have read, a lot of people don't leave simply because they feel they have no way out or are too deeply invested to leave, so that's another reason I work like hell to maintain open lines of communication.) But it is not easy. 

That's actually some other advice I'd pass on to your friend. No matter how hard it is, it really is better to avoid directly making criticisms of the church to his son. If his son is legitimately in something that is a cult, that will just be an excuse for them to further isolate him and poison his relationship with his father. 😞

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 2
  • Love 5
(edited)

Y'all, I felt like Jill yesterday, having Olive Garden. 😜 I had a migraine, and was nauseous, but knew I needed to eat, because skipping meals makes it worse. For some reason, Olive Garden was the ONLY thing I could imagine choking down. I hadn't had it probably in years! However, I ordered online and got it to go, it was definitely the best part of my day. Sometimes you need some tomatoey goodness and a "big green salad!"

Pray for me if you are the praying type! Basically a migraine all week. I switched to the generic birth control because of insurance, and it has been so hard on me! It's triggered a migraine flare-up (though thankfully no aura yet, which is the worst part IMO!), and I've spent the past few days miserable. I'm surprised switching to a generic of the same medicine is so hard! Even when I haven't had migraines, I have no appetite and have digestive issues, and just fatigued in general. It's legitimately as bad as having a cold or something, even without the migraine! I'm always super sensitive to medicines of any kind, though. If there is a side effect that 1% of people get, I get it every time. I can't even take two Advil, or any aspirin! I'm a lightweight with alcohol, too. I just try to stick to as few altering substances as possible!

All this while getting SO discouraged about jobs. Nobody will consider you without experience, or trust that you have transferable skills. I had a recruiter yesterday just flat out say that she can't help me because all I have is teaching experience and her clients wouldn't like that. Teaching is so hard, and people don't get that, and look down on having it on a resume. A desk job would be like having a planning period all day, but everyone thinks it's beyond my capabilities. 

Don't mean to be super negative...I'm generally happy and have a lot of good things going for me, too! I've been moving things to my friend's, which is so much fun, and I'm so lucky to have a supportive family and friends. The last week or so, since I switched pills, has been awful though, and I just can't believe it's march and I still have no job! I'm just embarrassed about it, though very few people actually know. I just need a hug at the moment. 

Edited by Christina87
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Christina87 said:

Y'all, I felt like Jill yesterday, having Olive Garden. 😜 I had a migraine, and was nauseous, but knew I needed to eat, because skipping meals makes it worse. For some reason, Olive Garden was the ONLY thing I could imagine choking down. I hadn't had it probably in years! However, I ordered online and got it to go, it was definitely the best part of my day. Sometimes you need some tomatoey goodness and a "big green salad!"

Pray for me if you are the praying type! Basically a migraine all week. I switched to the generic birth control because of insurance, and it has been so hard on me! It's triggered a migraine flare-up (though thankfully no aura yet, which is the worst part IMO!), and I've spent the past few days miserable. I'm surprised switching to a generic of the same medicine is so hard! Even when I haven't had migraines, I have no appetite and have digestive issues, and just fatigued in general. It's legitimately as bad as having a cold or something, even without the migraine! I'm always super sensitive to medicines of any kind, though. If there is a side effect that 1% of people get, I get it every time. I can't even take two Advil, or any aspirin! I'm a lightweight with alcohol, too. I just try to stick to as few altering substances as possible!

All this while getting SO discouraged about jobs. Nobody will consider you without experience, or trust that you have transferable skills. I had a recruiter yesterday just flat out say that she can't help me because all I have is teaching experience and her clients wouldn't like that. Teaching is so hard, and people don't get that, and look down on having it on a resume. A desk job would be like having a planning period all day, but everyone thinks it's beyond my capabilities. 

Don't mean to be super negative...I'm generally happy and have a lot of good things going for me, too! I've been moving things to my friend's, which is so much fun, and I'm so lucky to have a supportive family and friends. The last week or so, since I switched pills, has been awful though, and I just can't believe it's march and I still have no job! I'm just embarrassed about it, though very few people actually know. I just need a hug at the moment. 

Hugs to you

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Christina87 said:

I'm sorry that you are suffering right now.  I used to work as a pharmacy technician, and I know that while the generics are practically the same as the brand name there can be differences.  It sounds like you are reacting to a filler ingredient or dye.  Can you check to see if another manufacturer is available for the generic?  You can always ask the pharmacy for the ingredients list for the medication so you can cross reference your migraine triggers.  

On your job search, have you checked with the local public library to see if they are hiring?  Many programmers in childrens libraries have an education background.  If you lived in my part of NC, I would tell you to apply at my library.  

• Love 5
16 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I'm sorry that you are suffering right now.  I used to work as a pharmacy technician, and I know that while the generics are practically the same as the brand name there can be differences.  It sounds like you are reacting to a filler ingredient or dye.  Can you check to see if another manufacturer is available for the generic?  You can always ask the pharmacy for the ingredients list for the medication so you can cross reference your migraine triggers.  

On your job search, have you checked with the local public library to see if they are hiring?  Many programmers in childrens libraries have an education background.  If you lived in my part of NC, I would tell you to apply at my library.  

Great ideas!!! I hadn't even thought about looking at libraries!!! I would love to work in one. That sounds like just my kind of atmosphere, plus I like organization. Great tip! I'm going to look. 

Good idea about the pharmacy too. Gonna check into that! Migraines are no joke. Usually I get the ones that are completely disabling, with an aura, numbness in my limbs / face / mouth (honestly the symptom I hate most), headache, nausea, dizziness, completely zapped...and occasionally I get the difficulty speaking and thinking. I went to the ER a few years ago because I thought it was a stroke! When the ambulance got there, I could barely tell them my name. They kept asking, "do you have other health conditions? Diabetes or anything?" I kept saying yes, when I really meant no, and it took a ton of effort to correct myself. Social security number...I told them not to hold their breath; no way could I remember that, or say it! It was the worst night ever, sitting in the brightly lit waiting room. Then they gave me Benadryl, which made me desperately sleepy, but unable to sleep because of the pain. That was even worse than just having the headache! Thankfully a friend came and stayed with me, and that was the one positive thing about the whole experience! And the good thing is that's by far my worst one ever, and I can go years without a bad one. When I do get them, though, it's every day for a few months, usually, and then a few more years where I'm fine.

BUT ANYWAY...the ones this week have only been headache, fatigue, and nausea, which is like Christmas compared to the usual. Still doesn't make it easy to have one constantly, but I'm just trying to tough it out. I save the Imitrex for the bad ones. At least they're not completely disabling, and I can still work on moving (albeit much more slowly) and function, but it's just really hard. I think if all the ones like this I have taught through, and even though I need a job, I'm thankful to not be at work right now, suffering through this. 

@ohiopirate02, you have some great ideas!!! I wish I did live there so we could be coworkers! I bet we would have a lot of fun!!!

• Love 3

@Christina87 - while I have only had two ocular migraines in my life, back in 9th grade a hundred years ago, Mr. lookeyloo suffered with them for years until one doctor took a different approach and found his triggers, which are different for everyone.  So, I know from watching him, ER visits, etc. how debilitating and painful migraines are.  He says if he were ever sentenced to death he would want all of his triggers for his last meal, because then he would be begging for them to put him out of his misery.  Hoping you feel better and yes about generics.  Agree with the advice to check about a different one and ingredients in them.

• Love 4

And I am going to whine about something that has no long term consequences but I found particularly vexing.  As some of you know I had successful cataract surgery.  I love my "new eyes".  I see color as it should be, blue/white, vs. tinted sepia which my vision became without glasses because of the cataracts.  I have a set of glasses with anti glare so I can drive at night.  Those lenses have a sepia tint which I can live with at night because, well, its night.  But I went to get new glasses last week and spent a long time with the person saying "clear"  "no tint".  "No yellow/sepia/beige".  No anti glare coating because I have the ones with the anti glare.  The new ones would be for daytime.  (I am corrected except I need reading glasses and hate readers on and off, so these will have no correction on top and reading on bottom. I've worn glasses since I was 7 and am comfortable wearing them).  Go to pick them up and whadaya know.  Sepia tint.  First she tries to tell me she can't see it.  I put them on a piece of white paper.  So obvious.  Back she goes to the fellow.  Back and forth.  Can't see it.  It's anti glare (I specifically said no anti glare and it isn't on my order form).  Back and forth.  Tell me its the way this brand of lenses behave.  I've had this brand before without this issue.  Finally since I am not budging they will make me new ones with a different brand so they say.  I asked for priority.  She said of course.  Of course, I'm sure this won't happen.  I have glasses that work, but the new ones are cuter.  I will get over this snit, but it annoys me when anyone tries to make me think I am the crazy one.  I am not the crazy one!  At least where these glasses are concerned.  Thanks for listening!!!!

• Love 10
9 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

@Christina87 - while I have only had two ocular migraines in my life, back in 9th grade a hundred years ago, Mr. lookeyloo suffered with them for years until one doctor took a different approach and found his triggers, which are different for everyone.  So, I know from watching him, ER visits, etc. how debilitating and painful migraines are.  He says if he were ever sentenced to death he would want all of his triggers for his last meal, because then he would be begging for them to put him out of his misery.  Hoping you feel better and yes about generics.  Agree with the advice to check about a different one and ingredients in them.

I agree with Mr. Lookeyloo! I have always said...and I'm 100% serious...that whenever that moment comes when I realize I'm dying, of course I'll be upset, but my first thought will be, "I will never have another migraine again!!!" It sounds so morbid, but it really is that bad. And ahhhhhh, the whole glasses thing sounds really crazy! Hope you get it all worked out. Even when good things happen, like your surgery, it seems like there are always lots of ways we have to adjust! And I don't believe for one second that you are the crazy one  😉

• Love 3
(edited)

@Christina87, I suffer from many migraines a month, and am thankful for Zomig (Zolmitriptan, similar to your Imitrix). But I found a site that suggests neck exercises to prevent migraines, and since I have been doing them twice every day I am definitely having fewer of them. I can’t find the original website that demonstrates the neck exercises, but this Readers Digest article has the same exercises, just more of a pain to read. Scroll down for explanations of each simple exercise.

https://www.rd.com/health/fitness/headache-relief-exercises/

I sure hope you feel better soon. Migraines suck.

Edited by Love2dance
Forgot to add link
  • Love 7